PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno died

Canada
01-21-2012, 09:09 PM
See ya

AkChief49
01-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Reports of Joe Paterno's death refuted by family - CBSSports.com (http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34497800)

his family says no...but probably a matter of time.

Canada
01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Either way I couldnt care less

kcvet
01-22-2012, 11:59 AM
he's dead now

matthewschiefs
01-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Sad how his life ended just sad

Canada
01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Sad how his life ended just sad
Well deserved if you ask me

matthewschiefs
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Well deserved if you ask me

I have to disagree with you there. He deserved to be fired for sure. He made a HORRIBLE mistake a Complete lack of judgement on his part. But I don't think he deserved to die. I save that for the creep that was hurting the kids. I think Joe got a lot of the anger a lot of it deserved but some that should have been for Sandusky.

chief31
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
I have to disagree with you there. He deserved to be fired for sure. He made a HORRIBLE mistake a Complete lack of judgement on his part. But I don't think he deserved to die. I save that for the creep that was hurting the kids. I think Joe got a lot of the anger a lot of it deserved but some that should have been for Sandusky.
Pretty tough for me back Paterno in any way.

He knew he had a pedofile in his midst, kept him, and gave the impression that it is ok to rape children, just don't bring it to work with you.

I can't go so far as to say I think he deserved to die a nasty death. But I just can't bring myself to feel any remorse for someone who, ultimately, encouraged/allowed future molestations to occur.

I am not going to seek out his grave site to spit on it. But I just can't feel sorry for the guy.

Chiefster
01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
I haven't, closely, followed the case, but I feel badly for his family and think it's sad that things turned out the way they did.

Bike
01-23-2012, 08:49 AM
I can't condone anyone that condones child molestation. Such a sad way to leave...

Canada
01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I dont wish death on the guy, but there are a lot of people that die every single day that deserve my sympathy a lot more that he does. Looking the other way while children get molested is just as bad as doing it in my book.

If Im the getaway driver in a bank robbery and someone inside gets shot, Im still guilty of accessory to murder....joe is an accessory to child molestation and if someone like that dies, im not gonna lose a wink of sleep over it.

70 chiefsfan70
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I dont wish death on the guy, but there are a lot of people that die every single day that deserve my sympathy a lot more that he does. Looking the other way while children get molested is just as bad as doing it in my book.

If Im the getaway driver in a bank robbery and someone inside gets shot, Im still guilty of accessory to murder....joe is an accessory to child molestation and if someone like that dies, im not gonna lose a wink of sleep over it.

I've got 4 kids and I kinda felt the same way.

And he lived a very full, long life.

AkChief49
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Pretty tough for me back Paterno in any way.

He knew he had a pedofile in his midst, kept him, and gave the impression that it is ok to rape children, just don't bring it to work with you.

I can't go so far as to say I think he deserved to die a nasty death. But I just can't bring myself to feel any remorse for someone who, ultimately, encouraged/allowed future molestations to occur.

I am not going to seek out his grave site to spit on it. But I just can't feel sorry for the guy.

I 100% agree.
Such a storied life with a nightmare ending. Joe, you made your bed....

Chiefster
01-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Did he really look the other way? I ask this in earnest because I really don't know. My understanding is that his knowledge of the incident came to him second hand from an assistant who said he witnessed impropriety. Joe Paternal then passed the claim onto the his superior and the campus police as soon as it was made known to him following university policies.

Canada
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Did he really look the other way? I ask this in earnest because I really don't know. My understanding is that his knowledge of the incident came to him second hand from an assistant who said he witnessed impropriety. Joe Paternal then passed the claim onto the his superior and the campus police as soon as it was made known to him following university policies.Thats true...but when nothing happened, he just let it slide. Looking the other way or doing the bare minimum makes u just as guilty in my book.

Chiefster
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Thats true...but when nothing happened, he just let it slide. Looking the other way or doing the bare minimum makes u just as guilty in my book.

But, after passing it onto his superior at what point did it become his responsibility again. I understand what you're saying, but I guess my question is why did the "buck" stop at Paternal only and not, also, his superior?

Canada
01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
But, after passing it onto his superior at what point did it become his responsibility again. I understand what you're saying, but I guess my question is why did the "buck" stop at Paternal only and not, also, his superior?

It did not stop at him. If his superior who did nothing died I woudnt care about that either. Ask yourself this...If it was your neighbour doing these things and you called the police but found out they did nothing about it. Have you done enough?

Chiefster
01-27-2012, 12:14 AM
It did not stop at him. If his superior who did nothing died I woudnt care about that either. Ask yourself this...If it was your neighbour doing these things and you called the police but found out they did nothing about it. Have you done enough?

That's a good point, and well taken. I guess the problem I'm having is that in the court of public opinion the buck has stopped at Joe Paternal. The assistant that allegedly (I say allegedly because the allegations have not yet been proven in a court of law - not that I don't believe it happened) witnessed the abuse did no more than Paternal did, fulfilling his "legal" obligation, and yet he remains employed at Penn State as a coach. Did he not have the same "moral" obligation to do more that Paternal did? After all he supposedly witnessed the act.

I agree that the local authorities, not just campus police, should have been notified and this should not have been swept under the carpet by Paternal's superior who handled it "internally" in an attempt to keep it all hush, hush. I am of the mindset that ALL involved should have done more.

Canada
01-27-2012, 08:22 AM
That's a good point, and well taken. I guess the problem I'm having is that in the court of public opinion the buck has stopped at Joe Paternal. The assistant that allegedly (I say allegedly because the allegations have not yet been proven in a court of law - not that I don't believe it happened) witnessed the abuse did no more than Paternal did, fulfilling his "legal" obligation, and yet he remains employed at Penn State as a coach. Did he not have the same "moral" obligation to do more that Paternal did? After all he supposedly witnessed the act.

I agree that the local authorities, not just campus police, should have been notified and this should not have been swept under the carpet by Paternal's superior who handled it "internally" in an attempt to keep it all hush, hush. I am of the mindset that ALL involved should have done more.Absolutely agree. i think Paterno has been judged in the public eye more because he is a recognizeable figure. If I walked past his assisstant on the street I would have no idea. But I do agree they are all guilty and should all rot in a cell somewhere under the jail.

chiefnut
01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

I think both of you have been misinformed by the media. here are the facts as per grand jury testimony.

Joe Paterno only found out about sandusky via Mike Mccreary the day after Mccreary witnessed the shower incident. Mccreary, a big strappin lad of 27 did not call the campus police, nor did he try and stop the creep, he called his father who advised him to get the heck out of there. the next day he went to see paterno at his home at the end of the day. He told Paterno that he witnessed coach sandusky doing something "inappropriate" with a young boy in the showers. Paterno told him it needed to be reported and set up a meeting for him with curley and schultz who was in charge of the campus police. the campus police force is considerably larger than the State College police force and would have been more than capable of being a first responder. They then reported to spanier university president. Paterno was not present at these meetings. It is generaly assumed that this information was passed on to the board of trustees but not proven. this was in 2002.

lets see, Mcreary, his father, schultz, curley, spanier all had detailed info of the perv.s act but not only did nothing, said nothing but actually tried to cover it up. Yet somehow Paterno is the villain and gets fired by the same board that was informed in May of last year about the grand jury investigation of sandusky and yet still allowed sandusky access and did nothing.

it is not only probable but likely that in Paterno would have asked curley how the sandusky thing was going and was told it was taken care of. it is not in Paternos nature to throw anyone under the bus and even to his last day never lashed out at the university or the board members that fired him.

in hine sight could he have done more?, should he have done more? yes, but at the time he did report it to his superiors and the head of the campus police which is exactly what was expected of him.

this is a guy who reached out to mothers of the columbine masacre to offer anything he could to help. he donated money anomously thru a church to help a former player who had trouble paying his childs medical bills. he was one of the lowest paid coaches of any major college football program at 500,000/year yet has donated over 4 million $ back to PSU and not for the football program including a fellowship, library, money for sanduskys victims etc. he pushed a player who blew out his knee so bad his football career as a freshman was finished. Paterno pushed him to keep his grades up, recomended him into law school and now is in our defense dept. he called a player into his office a year after he finished his eligibilty to yell at him for taking fluff courses just to graduate. this is a rare breed of coach, one who truly cares about the student more than the player, and won't forget them long after they have graduated and moved on. this is not the guy the media has portrayed just to get ratings. that firing litteraly killed him. i only hope that the alumni continue on their mission to oust everyone of the board, including the governor of PA. everyone of those rat ####### who covered this up and blamed Paterno.

Bike
01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
he did report it to his superiors and the head of the campus police which is exactly what was expected of him.
I don't know dude. This is about children. Pure and simple. Paterno had a lot of power, enough to say no when asked to step down. At the VERY LEAST - he should have suspended Sandusky pending an investigation.

chiefnut
01-27-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't know dude. This is about children. Pure and simple. Paterno had a lot of power, enough to say no when asked to step down. At the VERY LEAST - he should have suspended Sandusky pending an investigation.

Paterno had no authority to suspend someone who no longer worked for the university. you realy don't put any blame on all those others who had the ability to stop this dead in its tracks????????? let's just blame Paterno the guy who had the least amount of information about what was going on.

chief31
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Paterno had no authority to suspend someone who no longer worked for the university. you realy don't put any blame on all those others who had the ability to stop this dead in its tracks????????? let's just blame Paterno the guy who had the least amount of information about what was going on.

Paterno is the big name, and big names get discussed.

Discussing Paterno's responsibility does not, in any way, suggest that people do not think that others had their own responsibility.

But Paterno took a very soft approach to addressing a very serious accusation.

chiefnut
01-28-2012, 08:18 AM
hows about we use an example, lets say someone who works under you comes and tells you they saw an employee [one whom you new for 20 years and belived to be very honest] doing something dishonest but would not give specifics. as per your company presidents policy you direct him to go directly to the director of operations and the head of security and report him. you even make the appointment for him. afterwards you were told it was being taken care of. years later you find out after that employee was arrested he had been embezling for 20 years. you are shocked and fingers are pointed your way for not stopping it. then the president of your company fires you for not doing enough even though he himself was told years ago what was going on. now everyone in your business field is talking about how bad you screwed up and that you should have gone directly to the police and maybe you should even pay the company back for what the guy embezled after you were told he was doing something dishonest.

now i know there is no real comparrison to the dispicable perverted acts of sandusky here, i am only trying to make a point that Paterno did not deserve all the crap heaped upon him while seemingly ignoring those who are truly responsible for not stopping it sooner.

Canada
01-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Absolutely agree. i think Paterno has been judged in the public eye more because he is a recognizeable figure. If I walked past his assisstant on the street I would have no idea. But I do agree they are all guilty and should all rot in a cell somewhere under the jail.Slow your roll there big fella. They are all guilty. does that make Paterno less guilty?? Hes only kind of guilty in the child molestation case?? thats the guy you are defending here? why...because he has also done some good things in his life? Would you feel the same way if this was going on at your kids school and your kid was involved? Would Paterno still get a pass?

chief31
01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
hows about we use an example, lets say someone who works under you comes and tells you they saw an employee [one whom you new for 20 years and belived to be very honest] doing something dishonest but would not give specifics. as per your company presidents policy you direct him to go directly to the director of operations and the head of security and report him. you even make the appointment for him. afterwards you were told it was being taken care of. years later you find out after that employee was arrested he had been embezling for 20 years. you are shocked and fingers are pointed your way for not stopping it. then the president of your company fires you for not doing enough even though he himself was told years ago what was going on. now everyone in your business field is talking about how bad you screwed up and that you should have gone directly to the police and maybe you should even pay the company back for what the guy embezled after you were told he was doing something dishonest.

now i know there is no real comparrison to the dispicable perverted acts of sandusky here, i am only trying to make a point that Paterno did not deserve all the crap heaped upon him while seemingly ignoring those who are truly responsible for not stopping it sooner.

Here is the deal....

If I had been in Paterno's position in this matter, I would have considered myself to be guilty.

I would make all the excuses I could, and argued them out with myself, and come to the obvious conclusion.....

He knew about it, and did not do what he should have done.

Infroming his superiors is the right move. But, when they fail to finish it up, while finding enough evidence to restrict him from being around children at work, he needed to force the next step.

Is he legally guilty of anything? Probably not.

But he is guilty.

Is the blowback fair? I think it is.

N TX Dave
01-28-2012, 01:13 PM
I have a question how old where this kids that were abused 10 or were they players on the team? If not in school why were they even in the shower? If they were players why did they not knock out the dude?
I was a BSA Scout Master for 18 years and if I suspected any abuse of any kind I was supposed to tell the professional scouter (District Executive) and he/she would get in touch with the authorities not me and if they dropped the ball they would be out of the job not me. Of course we are talking about abuse at home or elsewhere than in the scouts. If it was a adult in my troop he would have been told to go away and not come back but I still would not been involved with the police.

To me the only thing Pappa Joe did not do was get rid of the guy. But if Joe did and the guy was proven innocent Joe and the college would have been open for a lawsuite and it would have happened.

Coach
01-28-2012, 02:27 PM
There are no winners in this case, just tragedy for everyone involved.

chiefnut
01-28-2012, 10:19 PM
There are no winners in this case, just tragedy for everyone involved.

you are 100 % correct

chiefnut
01-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a question how old where this kids that were abused 10 or were they players on the team? If not in school why were they even in the shower? If they were players why did they not knock out the dude?
I was a BSA Scout Master for 18 years and if I suspected any abuse of any kind I was supposed to tell the professional scouter (District Executive) and he/she would get in touch with the authorities not me and if they dropped the ball they would be out of the job not me. Of course we are talking about abuse at home or elsewhere than in the scouts. If it was a adult in my troop he would have been told to go away and not come back but I still would not been involved with the police.

To me the only thing Pappa Joe did not do was get rid of the guy. But if Joe did and the guy was proven innocent Joe and the college would have been open for a lawsuite and it would have happened.

you are kinda proving my point. i too am a cubmaster and if it is at a scout sanctioned event you are directed to immediately inform those in charge of the event, if not a sanctioned event you are to inform the local authorities aT ONCE. if you are told anything by a child you are NOT to question him but to go directly and report it.

if i were at our local scout camp and i was told someone saw something "inappropriate", i would go right to the scout office in camp and report it. according to the media i should be tarred and feathered for such an action based on their attacks on Paterno.

chiefnut
01-28-2012, 10:29 PM

their average age was 12 and this was discovered after sandusky resigned from Penn State. The boys were from an outreach program he started and chaired along with Mat Millen who worked very closely with him, much closer than Paterno during that time period. not that I would blame Millen but did espn give him a pass cause he works there???

chiefnut
01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Slow your roll there big fella. They are all guilty. does that make Paterno less guilty?? Hes only kind of guilty in the child molestation case?? thats the guy you are defending here? why...because he has also done some good things in his life? Would you feel the same way if this was going on at your kids school and your kid was involved? Would Paterno still get a pass?

what exactly do you think Paterno is "guilty"' of?? as far as him doing "some" good you should take some time to check this guy out. He probably ranks below Mother Theresa and the Pope with all the good he has done over the last 40 years. I am am exagerating the point of course but he has worked tirelesly for not just his players but for under privledged children, countless charities, even for families of our soldiers over seas. i saw him at a local charity event when he flew in on his own dime and did not take any money for the appearence. the event was marred the next day by a local bonehead reporter chastising for telling a polish pope joke. even the the head of the local Polish American club said it was tasteful and funny and did not see a problem yet this reporter had to write a scathing editorial. that was the last time joe Pa came to our area. this is what the media does, just lookin to sell adds and papers, dopn't care about right or wrong just get thier byline and make headlines. did i mention i hate reporters?

N TX Dave
01-28-2012, 11:01 PM
their average age was 12 and this was discovered after sandusky resigned from Penn State. The boys were from an outreach program he started and chaired along with Mat Millen who worked very closely with him, much closer than Paterno during that time period. not that I would blame Millen but did espn give him a pass cause he works there???

Well if it was discovered after sandusky had left and Paterno reported to the higher-ups just what was Joe supposed to do? Why was not Millen the responsible party more so the Joe? To me it sounds like Joe was made a scapgoat for the whole deal because he was in bad health and in no condition to fight it. He might of even said it is time for me to quit so I will take the blame. I don't know to me there are a lot of people that are more to blame than Joe was. It was not Joe's responsibility to determine guilt.

matthewschiefs
01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Well if it was discovered after sandusky had left and Paterno reported to the higher-ups just what was Joe supposed to do? Why was not Millen the responsible party more so the Joe? To me it sounds like Joe was made a scapgoat for the whole deal because he was in bad health and in no condition to fight it. He might of even said it is time for me to quit so I will take the blame. I don't know to me there are a lot of people that are more to blame than Joe was. It was not Joe's responsibility to determine guilt.

Heres my thoughts. Why didn't Joe Call the police when he was told about the situation? That's the same thing I have for the guy who saw it happen. Why they didn't go call the police ASAP I will never understand. If I see something like that at work I don't think of calling my boss I think of calling the Police. That's the issue with Joe.

Having said that I do agree he is taking far to much Blame IMO. He deserves a lot of the blame for what happened but I think some are going overboard with the blame that goes on him. I do think it's sad that some are just looking at this one mistake that he made although It was a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE mistake he did far more good then bad. He gave Millions of dollars to help that school. He help many kids. Not because he had to because he chose to. This one mistake doesn't define his life. He did a lot of good. I don't think that should be forgotten.

chiefnut
01-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Heres my thoughts. Why didn't Joe Call the police when he was told about the situation? That's the same thing I have for the guy who saw it happen. Why they didn't go call the police ASAP I will never understand. If I see something like that at work I don't think of calling my boss I think of calling the Police. That's the issue with Joe.

Having said that I do agree he is taking far to much Blame IMO. He deserves a lot of the blame for what happened but I think some are going overboard with the blame that goes on him. I do think it's sad that some are just looking at this one mistake that he made although It was a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE mistake he did far more good then bad. He gave Millions of dollars to help that school. He help many kids. Not because he had to because he chose to. This one mistake doesn't define his life. He did a lot of good. I don't think that should be forgotten.

you are 100% correct, the person who saw it should have called the police, that was Mike Mcreary, who by the way was never fired nor called out in the media. it was Joe paterno who had it reported to the head of the university police as soon as he found out, which again is not like a bunch of overweight security guards, this is a police force larger than that of State College which surrounds it, and more than capable of handling first on the scene. the fans were so incensed over Paternos firing and the codling of mccreary that he needed police protection at the next game. noone their could understand why this guy was walking around still coaching after waht he failed to do. based on the reaction to Paterno by the media should not mccreary have been arrested for failing to stop or report a crime in progress, and then later lying to a grand jury?????

chiefnut
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
i heard the reason Paterno did not fire back at the board of trustees or the media was that he did not believe it would have benefitted the school or the students to do rather it would have created more distractions for the students who are there to get an education and would damage the schools reputation further. even though they treated him like crap in the end he still loved Penn State and would not do anything that was not in the best interest of the students. i know i would have mighty pi###ed of and bitter lookin for a way to get back at them and clear my name. Joe is a much better person than i.

aaron13pgh
02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Penn state did joe paterno wrong
he didnt deserve to be fired

Canada
02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
So sad that people are all willing to look the other way because he was a football coach.

Chief Concerns
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
So sad that people are all willing to look the other way because he was a football coach.

The only reason this was ever a big deal is because he was a football coach. Otherwise, what's the problem. There was an incident and he told his superiors of the problem. It's not like he ran from the situation. The public has made a mockery of the situation. It seems as though Paterno is getting more blame for everything that has happened than Sandusky. People need to wake up. If anyone should be blamed for not passing the word along to the right person, it's the McQuerys. McQuery ran and told his father, who so brilliantly decided that the coach of the football team was the right person to go to. If anything, Joe Paterno was the only person who acted accordingly in the situation by making sure it was passed up the ladder to the head of the university.

Canada
02-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Bare minimum

Chief Concerns
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
He's the only one that did anything. No one else with knowledge of the situation did anything remotely responsible. McQuery told his dad; nobody complained about that. His dad told 'the football coach;' nobody complained about that. Joe Paterno told the AD and the University president. They told no one; nobody complained about that. The only reason they got into trouble is because they lied about the situation.

Canada
02-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Absolutely agree. i think Paterno has been judged in the public eye more because he is a recognizeable figure. If I walked past his assisstant on the street I would have no idea. But I do agree they are all guilty and should all rot in a cell somewhere under the jail.

He's the only one that did anything. No one else with knowledge of the situation did anything remotely responsible. McQuery told his dad; nobody complained about that. His dad told 'the football coach;' nobody complained about that. Joe Paterno told the AD and the University president. They told no one; nobody complained about that. The only reason they got into trouble is because they lied about the situation.Perhaps you should read before you say no one cares about that.

And if him doing "anything remotely responsible" is not doing enough. I dont care how you look at it. they are all guilty, as far as Im concerned it was a child porn ring and they should all be shot.

tornadospotter
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Question? Why didn't sanscumbags superior fire or suspended his employment? Who was sanscums direct employment superior? Head Coach?????
As for Joe P, I am sorry for his family, and yes he will go down in the history books as one of College footballs greats, but for me, I never really like him.

matthewschiefs
02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Penn state did joe paterno wrong
he didnt deserve to be fired

I have to disagree with you there. I don't think there is anyway that they could have kept him. His actions resulted in a HUGE black eye for that school. He deserved to get fired.

I don't think it's looking the other way with some I think it's more not using this issue to define who he was. He did a lot of good things for that school and people around that school. I don't think that one action defines a person you have to look at there whole life. At least that's how I look at it.

chiefnut
02-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Question? Why didn't sanscumbags superior fire or suspended his employment? Who was sanscums direct employment superior? Head Coach?????
As for Joe P, I am sorry for his family, and yes he will go down in the history books as one of College footballs greats, but for me, I never really like him.

Joe was NOT his superior, sandusky was no longer employed at Penn State when the shower incident happened. he retired 3 years earlier although he still had privledges at the university and that was per the AD which IS whom Joe reported it to.

tornadospotter
02-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Joe was NOT his superior, sandusky was no longer employed at Penn State when the shower incident happened. he retired 3 years earlier although he still had privledges at the university and that was per the AD which IS whom Joe reported it to.
That is some info I didn't know. I was lead to believed that this all was happening and was first reported while scum was a coach for Paternio. Well time will tell what is recorded, in time.

Canada
02-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Joe was NOT his superior, sandusky was no longer employed at Penn State when the shower incident happened. he retired 3 years earlier although he still had privledges at the university and that was per the AD which IS whom Joe reported it to.I dont need to work with someone to report them to the POLICE for being a pedophile.