PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs narrow coordinator search, want QB competition

okikcfan
02-02-2012, 10:49 PM
BY RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS -- The resume box is still wide open at Arrowhead Stadium.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli are looking to plug holes on their coaching and scouting staffs and emphasized Thursday the need to bring in competition for Matt Cassel at starting quarterback.

Crennel has interviewed quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn and Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator Al Saunders for the vacant offensive coordinator’s job and said, “I might interview another one or two” before making a decision, perhaps early next week.

The new offensive coordinator also would have some say in the selection of a veteran quarterback — or quarterback taken in the draft — because Crennel and Pioli were adamant that there will be competition for veteran Matt Cassel, who along with second-year man Ricky Stanzi are the only two quarterbacks under contract.

“What happens in free agency remains to be seen,” Crennel said. “I know competition makes everybody better, and we’ll just have to see what kind of competition we’re going to have at the quarterback position.”

Crennel praised Cassel for leading the Chiefs to playoffs in 2010, but his stance on Thursday was a bit of a departure from the unqualified backing he gave Cassel last month when hired as head coach.

Pioli took it a step further.

“We’ve been saying it for three years, and I’m going to continue to say it, because it’s a core part of our philosophy: There will be increased competition at every position, including the quarterback position,” Pioli said. “Who that is, I don’t know. Maybe it’s Kyle (Orton), maybe it’s another free agent, maybe it’s a draft choice, I don’t know.

“Very few people can perform at an extremely high level without competition.”

Orton, who finished the season as the starter, winning two of the last three games, including a victory over then-unbeaten Green Bay after Crennel replaced Todd Haley on an interim basis, is an unrestricted free agent.

“Kyle did a good job in those three games, and you can’t take that away,” Crennel said. “I wouldn’t be sitting here if he didn’t do the job he did.”

Cassel missed the last seven games because of a broken hand, and when asked about the importance of having a veteran backup, Crennel said: “Only if the first guy gets hurt. And you have to plan for that a little bit. I think in planning for it, you have to look at your philosophy, what it’s going to cost, and all those things that go into it.”

Meanwhile, Crennel said a new offensive coordinator would have an impact and input into the hiring of a new wide receivers coach, offensive line coach, assistant offensive line coach and perhaps a quarterbacks coach if Zorn is not promoted and chooses to leave.

Zorn would seem to make sense if Crennel wants to maintain continuity with the offense the Chiefs have run the past two years under Charlie Weis and Bill Muir, whose unexpected retirement as offensive line coach this week set Crennel back in his coordinator search.

Saunders, who is still under contract to the Raiders, has a track record of success as an offensive coordinator, particularly with the Chiefs during 2001-05 under Dick Vermeil, who said Saunders told him the interview with the Chiefs went well.

But hiring Saunders would entail installing a new system.

“If you hire a coordinator, you have to let the coordinator run his program,” Crennel said, “and if the program is a different program than what the players are used to, they have to adjust.”

Because Crennel will be serving as his own defensive coordinator, he’ll have to put a lot of trust into the new offensive coordinator.

“As a head coach you have to be involved in the offense … you want to know what’s going on,” Crennel said, “but I’m not going to be in the offensive meetings because I’m going to be running the defense as well. The guy I get I need him to be what I consider to be a good coordinator.”

When asked if there were some other assistants who have departed besides Muir and three others who were not retained, Crennel replied: “Not yet … you just don’t know.

“Let’s say, hypothetically, I make (someone) the offensive coordinator … who some guys on the offense might not like, and if they have opportunities, they might say, ‘I want to go someplace else.’ You can’t control it. If those guys don’t have opportunities, then they stay. But I’m not looking to run anybody off.”

The Chiefs also are without director of college scouting Phil Emery, who is now the general manager of the Chicago Bears. With the college all-star games complete, the NFL scouting combine later this month, followed by the draft in April, this is not the optimum time to bring in someone new.

“We have a staff in place, we have a bunch of scouts in place,” Pioli said. “People are going to pick up additional responsibilities as we go through this cycle. Making a change now, the timing would be terrible. What we’ve tried to do in coaching and scouting is we want to reward people by promoting from within. Those people have to be ready, but that’s the great reward you offer to these people.”

Well this should leave everyone to wonder...Zorn?

2010chiefs
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM
I love hearing this from Crennel and Pioli. Different tone form the Haley days. We defintiley need competition at every position. Specially QB. Nice to see that we're finally on the same page. GO CHIEFS!

dbolan
02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
BY RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

INDIANAPOLIS -- The resume box is still wide open at Arrowhead Stadium.

Crennel praised Cassel for leading the Chiefs to playoffs in 2010, but his stance on Thursday was a bit of a departure from the unqualified backing he gave Cassel last month when hired as head coach.

Pioli took it a step further.

“We’ve been saying it for three years, and I’m going to continue to say it, because it’s a core part of our philosophy: There will be increased competition at every position, including the quarterback position,” Pioli said. “Who that is, I don’t know. Maybe it’s Kyle (Orton), maybe it’s another free agent, maybe it’s a draft choice, I don’t know.

“Kyle did a good job in those three games, and you can’t take that away,” Crennel said. “I wouldn’t be sitting here if he didn’t do the job he did.”

So, Now Cassel is on the hot seat by Crennel....Crennel STATES that the job Orton done is what got him to keep the HC job. Kind of a change in heart from a couple of months ago.

If Haley would have been there to start Orton, I think he would still be there.

Pioli wants depth to challenge the starters and says tha has been the philosophy for 3 years...However, he admits to NOT having enough depth. So, what happened to the vision for the past 3 years?

So, for all of the Haley haters here, that says volumes about what has taken place.

okikcfan
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Does it really matter who liked Haley and who doesn't? Is it not time to move on? Haley did some great things during his Chiefs stay and what ever happen to him in his final season doesn't really matter anymore. Crennel is the new HC and Haley's not. Haley had a meltdown and appears to be the main factor in us not making the play offs. But I supported him because he was our coach, yes I questioned him many times but still. I'm not a fan of Cassel, but right now, he is our QB and again I support him and want them to do whatever is best for him to improve.

TopekaRoy
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
So, Now Cassel is on the hot seat by Crennel....Crennel STATES that the job Orton done is what got him to keep the HC job. Kind of a change in heart from a couple of months ago.
This comment makes no sense. That quote is from his news conference on the day he was named head coach, a couple of months ago.

Haley was there to start Orton against the Bears, and he chose to start Palko instead. He only brought in Orton after Palko continued to struggle and he got hurt on his first play.

Pioli wants depth to challenge the starters and says tha has been the philosophy for 3 years...However, he admits to NOT having enough depth. So, what happened to the vision for the past 3 years?
Obviously he misjudged the talent of the backup players and didn't do enough to implement that philosophy. He has said so himself. He recognizes he made a mistake and is committed to correcting it.

So, for all of the Haley haters here, that says volumes about what has taken place.

I don't see how this has anything whatsoever to do with Haley.

dbolan
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Whatever....

TopekaRoy
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Whatever....

Good argument. Now that you put it that way, it all makes sense!:lol:

whackojacko58
02-03-2012, 01:10 PM

haleys gone drop the haley vs pioli, and he did have a chance to start orton but instead starts palko and puts orton in for a trick play? we like haley but it was time to change he wasnt ready for the hc position. i like hearing this from pioli and crennel, competition at the qb spot it sounds like they agree with us fans, yes priority 1 sign bowe and carr, priority 2 bring in players let them play not just say its cassel we saw another qb take control of our limited weapons (after injuries) and give us wins, we were one overtime game out of the playoffs with orton the final three weeks, it was a ugly season and seems like they see that and arent making excuses
:sign0104: :chiefs:

okikcfan
02-03-2012, 07:35 PM
So they say we are down to 3 in the play off's for the OC. Saunders, Zorn and Dabonehead or what ever his name is. Now from what it sounds like listed above it will be Zorn because bringing Saunders in would be too much change on the offense. So why even have him in the finals? There must be more we are waiting on,...right?

chief31
02-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Does it really matter who liked Haley and who doesn't? Is it not time to move on? Haley did some great things during his Chiefs stay and what ever happen to him in his final season doesn't really matter anymore. Crennel is the new HC and Haley's not. Haley had a meltdown and appears to be the main factor in us not making the play offs. But I supported him because he was our coach, yes I questioned him many times but still. I'm not a fan of Cassel, but right now, he is our QB and again I support him and want them to do whatever is best for him to improve.

So, you sound like you are shunning the Haley/Pioli discussion as old news, and pointless, but make sure to point your finger at Haley?

:lol:

You've got to see the humor in that.

okikcfan
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
So, you sound like you are shunning the Haley/Pioli discussion as old news, and pointless, but make sure to point your finger at Haley?

I'm saying what ever happen, happen. We will never know the true reason as to what really went on but we can all admit that something happen to Haley. Things changed, he lost his fire, then he played Pal..Pal..Ko..Ko too many times, and Why? I don't know, then the said meltdown between him and some of the players. I'm sayin it's history, Kennedy and King are dead, they are a part of history, as is Haley. Well at least till he write's a book about it...:lol:

Bike
02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm saying what ever happen, happen. We will never know the true reason as to what really went on but we can all admit that something happen to Haley. Things changed, he lost his fire, then he played Pal..Pal..Ko..Ko too many times, and Why? I don't know, then the said meltdown between him and some of the players. I'm sayin it's history, Kennedy and King are dead, they are a part of history, as is Haley. Well at least till he write's a book about it...:lol:
I think Haley was just a hothead and ego's clashed.

Chiefster
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
So, is Orton still on the payroll, has he been let go or what?

TopekaRoy
02-05-2012, 12:40 AM
So, is Orton still on the payroll, has he been let go or what?

Technically, he is a Chief until the start of free agency at 3:00pm Central time on March 13th. Unless we offer him a huge deal, there is little chance that he won't test the market to see if he can get a deal on a team where he is likely to be the unquestioned starter :frownyface:

Chiefster
02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Technically, he is a Chief until the start of free agency at 3:00pm Central time on March 13th. Unless we offer him a huge deal, there is little chance that he won't test the market to see if he can get a deal on a team where he is likely to be the unquestioned starter :frownyface:

Yeah too bad because I don't think we have a prayer at getting Manning, as much as most here would like to see happen, and I think that Orton would provide that much needed competition at the QB position. JMHO.

TopekaRoy
02-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah too bad because I don't think we have a prayer at getting Manning, as much as most here would like to see happen, and I think that Orton would provide that much needed competition at the QB position. JMHO.

It's still possible that we could get Orton if he thinks he is likely to beat out Cassel in training camp. That may be part of the motivation behind all of this talk of competition at the QB position; to convince Orton that he has a real chance to be the starter if he stays.

We would also have to match the highest offer from the other teams that want him, so I wouldn't get my hopes up, Not because i think Hunt is too cheap, but because I think they have enough confidence in Cassel that they won't want to tie up too much money on a backup QB. The cost was another thing that Crennel touched on in that article in the first post.

I think in planning for it, you have to look at your philosophy, what it’s going to cost, and all those things that go into it.”

Chiefster
02-05-2012, 12:57 AM
It's still possible that we could get Orton if he thinks he is likely to beat out Cassel in training camp. That may be part of the motivation behind all of this talk of competition at the QB position; to convince Orton that he has a real chance to be the starter if he stays.

We would also have to match the highest offer from the other teams that want him, so I wouldn't get my hopes up, Not because i think Hunt is too cheap, but because I think they have enough confidence in Cassel that they won't want to tie up too much money on a backup QB. The cost was another thing that Crennel touched on in that article in the first post.

Good point. It does, indeed, look as if retaining Orton is a long shot at best.

dbolan
02-06-2012, 07:56 AM

Yep.... Seems there are several here that want to dictate the discussions, comments, etc based soley on what they do or do not want to hear.:mooning:

70 chiefsfan70
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM

I think with the exact same offense we had in 2011, Orton would clearly beat Cassel for the starting job. But nothing will be the same. Charles and Moeaki will be back. I'm sure we land either RT or G in FA. We'll pick offense with our first pick, most likely our first several picks. The feel our first pick will be RB, or OL, both of which would benefit Cassel more, IMO. Our offense will be greatly improved without Orton.

I think this will play into resigning Orton. Orton will realize that he may not start, and also Orton knows the qb shortage the nfl has and will get more money and a longer contract with other teams.

TopekaRoy
02-06-2012, 01:37 PM
I think with the exact same offense we had in 2011, Orton would clearly beat Cassel for the starting job. But nothing will be the same. Charles and Moeaki will be back. I'm sure we land either RT or G in FA. We'll pick offense with our first pick, most likely our first several picks. The feel our first pick will be RB, or OL, both of which would benefit Cassel more, IMO. Our offense will be greatly improved without Orton.

I think this will play into resigning Orton. Orton will realize that he may not start, and also Orton knows the qb shortage the nfl has and will get more money and a longer contract with other teams.

I think this offense would be fine with either QB, next year. I think Orton is a little better passer, but not by much.

You're right though. Resigning Orton is highly unlikely. Which is too bad, because, starter or back-up, I like him better than almost all of the FA options out there and we are not likely to get one of the best FAs because too many teams need a starter and will be willing to pay more for them than the Chiefs would.

Bike
02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I think Orton is a little better passer, but not by much.

This much is true, but it's the other intangibles that makes Orton the better choice. Orton (appeared to me) was able to keep the offense on the field longer than Cassel - which not only gives us a better shot at a score, but it gives our defense some breathing time. Orton is just the more aware and talented QB - but like you say - not by much.

jason1981
02-06-2012, 08:56 PM
what makes orton better than cassel is his quick decisions snd quicker release which keeps the sacks down. if cassel coukd speed up his release we prolly be better then orton.