PDA

View Full Version : new oc is brian daboll

germaine93
02-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Chiefs hired former Dolphins assistant Brian Daboll as their offensive coordinator thats according to adam schefter via his twitter....more new england ties....thoughts?

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Just heard.

I dunno much about him though.

Chief Concerns
02-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Just saw this on SportingNews. He seems to be a good choice. He has experience in multiple offensive areas, having spent time at WR coach(Patriots), QB coach(Jets), and OC(Washington, Miami). Guessing Zorn probably won't be staying now, which leaves openings for WR coach, OL coach, and QB coach. Those should'nt take very long to fill though now that we have an OC in place.

:kc:

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 02:46 AM
I sure hope this works out so all the coaches and players can just concentrate on getting better on the field. And not continuously adjusting to new staff.

2010chiefs
02-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Wow. That's a shocker. I don't know how to feel about this. What do you guys think??
When the Jets fired Mangini after their collapse from 8-3 to not in the playoffs, Daboll migrated with him to Cleveland and was named offensive coordinator.
The Browns had quarterback problems throughout the past season because of injuries and inexperience. They ranked 31st in points per game, 29th in total offense, 20th in rushing offense and 29th in passing offense.

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Wow. That's a shocker. I don't know how to feel about this. What do you guys think??

Just hope it works out (Kansas City Chiefs Forums - View Single Post - new oc is brian daboll (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showpost.php?p=253229&postcount=4))

Wouldve like to have Saunders though.

TopekaRoy
02-04-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm not real excited about this pick. He was the OC for the Browns who went 5-11 in '08 and '09, offensively ranking 32nd and 29th respectively. He was OC for the Dolphins last year who were ranked 22nd offensively. But to be fair to him, he didn't have much talent to work with on either team and the 'Fins did win 6 of their last 9 games (starting with beating the Chiefs) so let's see what he can do with a little talent.

TopekaRoy
02-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Apparently a Wikipedia editor is not too thrilled either. Check out the sarcastic update he made on the site before they "fix" it!

He was hired after posting the 32nd ranked offense in 2009 and the 29th ranked offense in 2010 while in Cleveland. For an encore, he guided the offensive powerhouse known as the 2011 Miami Dolphins to the 22nd overall ranked offense in the NFL.

Chiefs fans everywhere rejoiced at yet another hire from the famous Bill Parcell's Coaching Tree.

link: Brian Daboll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Apparently a Wikipedia editor is not too thrilled either. Check out the sarcastic update he made on the site before they "fix" it!

Brian Daboll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Daboll)

I think that Wiki pages is going to be changed quite frequently now.

TopekaRoy
02-04-2012, 03:06 AM
link: Brian Daboll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Daboll)

Quoted to show wiki link.

josh1971
02-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Reaction so far that I've seen on facebook is "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE COMMIT SUICIDE!"

Kind of ridiculous, actually...

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Anyone seen the source for the thing added on the wikipedia? Its a link to a thread on "ChiefsPlanet". Jeez it sounds like they're all going to kill themselves.

josh1971
02-04-2012, 04:36 AM
This off season in particular, doesn't everyone just seem wound a little *too* tight?

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 04:42 AM
This off season in particular, doesn't everyone just seem wound a little *too* tight?

I guess its because of all the uncertainty.

Oh well, im going to europe for 2 months from june to august. Ill get back right in time for the 2012 NFL season. All with Berry, Charles, Moeaki, Flowers, Hali, The rest of the LB core, and hopefully Carr and Bowe. :chiefs:

That should do some un-winding.:D

70 chiefsfan70
02-04-2012, 08:45 AM
WOW!

This is very shocking to me.

Oh well! He is the new OC and I'm trying to like it.

I remember the excitement and enthusiasm I had when Charlie Wise was named OC, and I'm missing all that feeling.

70 chiefsfan70
02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
I guess its because of all the uncertainty.

Oh well, im going to europe for 2 months from june to august. Ill get back right in time for the 2012 NFL season. All with Berry, Charles, Moeaki, Flowers, Hali, The rest of the LB core, and hopefully Carr and Bowe. :chiefs:

That should do some un-winding.:D

I feel I need a break myself, I could use some unwinding myself.

AussieChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
I feel I need a break myself, I could use some unwinding myself.

We could all do with some. Signing Al Saunders wouldve helped.

matthewschiefs
02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Never heard of him we will just have to see how it goes. Not that trilled with it myself but will just have to see what the offense looks like.

hayden2004
02-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I really dislike this hire, and I'm hoping I'm wrong. We throw up a stinker this year and I think Hunt will have no choice but to start over from scratch. Meaning Cassel, Pioli and Romeo are almost certainly all gone. This utter refusal to step outside of the comfort zone just makes me sick, and I think it is clear now that "competition" was something they said to try and appease the fanbase. It's clear by bringing in this waste of space that we are trying to coach to Cassel's ability which means I think we'll draft at least two people who can run the five yard hitch route...because that is about where Cassel's arm strength and accuracy top out. Honestly wouldn't be surprised of Bowebot leaves if we do not tag him now.

marloweopatchiefs
02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
At first i was like wth. Then i sat back and remembered this past season. Daboll came in and brought the dolphines from 31st offense in the league to 22nd offense in the league. He made the most out of matt moore and reggie bush. For anyone who wants some feedback. Remember the phins who crushed us 31-3 and it seemed as if matt moore was peyton manning. That was daboll running that offense. He also was the same oc that crushed the raiders 34-14 a few weeks later in the season. Give the guy a chance. He is def an upgrade over muir. And i'm not sure why people keep talking like cassel will be the starter. Guess they missed the qb competition threads.

Coach
02-04-2012, 03:19 PM
To me this hire is a real head scratcher. Not sure why Crennel decided to hire a guy that has failed as an OC at every team where he had held the position. To me Crennel just made his first VERY big mistake.
The only good thing I can see about this hire is that he can't be worse than Bill Muir.

Explain to me how a struggling out of work OC is better than Al Saunders, Jim Zorn, or nearly anyone else that was available. This incestuous obsession with Belichick and the Patriot way just went way to far in my opinion. Man oh man do I hope I am really really wrong.

marloweopatchiefs
02-04-2012, 03:34 PM
To me this hire is a real head scratcher. Not sure why Crennel decided to hire a guy that has failed as an OC at every team where he had held the position. To me Crennel just made his first VERY big mistake.
The only good thing I can see about this hire is that he can't be worse than Bill Muir.

Explain to me how a struggling out of work OC is better than Al Saunders, Jim Zorn, or nearly anyone else that was available. This incestuous obsession with Belichick and the Patriot way just went way to far in my opinion. Man oh man do I hope I am really really wrong.

Coach
Continue to love this site. I like the hire. If dabolls offense is beating people 31-3 like his team did the chiefs last year everyone will be praising this hire.

TopekaRoy
02-04-2012, 04:09 PM
To me this hire is a real head scratcher.

I had a similar reaction, initially, but now I don't hate it. I don't love it either, but it could work out.

Not sure why Crennel decided to hire a guy that has failed as an OC at every team where he had held the position. To me Crennel just made his first VERY big mistake.

"Every team" would be a total of two. He had no talent in Cleveland and I wouldn't quite say he failed in Miami. He took a terrible offense and turned it around without much talent either. Brandon Marshall is pretty good and Reggie Bush is just OK, but what else have they got?

I think they were hurt badly by the lack of an offseason/preseason with Daboll being new to the team. That won't be an issue this year, and the Chiefs offense should be able to adjust to his style by the end of preseason or at least by the 3rd game of the regular season. The Dolphins went 6-3 in their last 9 games. Those are playoff numbers. They beat us 31-3, the Bills 35-9 and 30-23, and the Raiders 34-14. How many times did the Chiefs score more than 30 points? (Answer: Zero)

Agreed, and actually Bill didn't look that bad, once Haley was out of the way, and with our healthy starters back, "better than Bill" might be good enough.

There is no question that people do their jobs better when they are working with people they are comfortable with, and Pioli likes hiring people he knows well. He knows their strengths and weaknesses and feels that he is making a very informed decision. The problem occurs when this leads him to hire guys who are under-qualified or pass up others who are much better suited for the job. I'm not sure that applies in this case.

This is very much a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" league, and lately Daboll has looked pretty good. A lot of coaches struggle in their first job at OC, but learn from experience and get better. Daboll is a very young coach (36), but still has 3 years experience at OC. Let's see what he has learned from that experience.

An improved offensive line and a healthy Jamaal Charles could make him look very good.

fairladyZ
02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Chiefs are saying they are in Discussions but haven't officially announced his hiring yet. Kinda of odd that today they release info that they are talking but not that he's hired. Wonder if they haven't hired him and trying to rebuttle the media while not pissing daboll off incase they can't land who they really want.

intresting

TopekaRoy
02-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Chiefs are saying they are in Discussions but haven't officially announced his hiring yet. Kinda of odd that today they release info that they are talking but not that he's hired. Wonder if they haven't hired him and trying to rebuttle the media while not pissing daboll off incase they can't land who they really want.

intresting

VERY interesting. What Chiefs are saying this and who are they saying it to? Do you have a link?

Need ........ more ......... info! :D

TopekaRoy
02-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Did a Google search. Adam Schefter is reporting that it's a done deal, but Sports illustrated posted this at 2:04 pm Central time:

The Chiefs are in discussions with Brian Daboll to become their new offensive coordinator.
Team spokesman Ted Crews told The Associated Press on Saturday that Daboll has not been hired, but the two sides remain in discussions. The former Dolphins offensive coordinator could be introduced as soon as Monday, when Chiefs executives return from the Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

Read more: Chiefs in discussions with Daboll to run offense - NFL - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/02/04/2020.ap.fbn.chiefs.daboll.1st.ld.writethru.0512/index.html#ixzz1lRsr812W)

I'm guessing the only thing they are discussing at this point is terms of the contract. They probably won't make an official announcement until Monday.

fairladyZ
02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Chiefs in discussions with Brian Daboll to become offensive coordinator (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-in-discussions-with-Brian-Daboll-to-become-offensive-coordinator/39470e91-79ba-486d-8022-12647457b499)

Chiefs Say They're In Discussions With Brian Daboll - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/2/4/2771268/kansas-city-chiefs-brian-daboll)

I tend to agree with the second link... Chiefs are usually quiet about this sort of thing until it's done deal so why are they coming out and saying they are only discussing. We've heard of them hiring other staff before they officially announced it and the chiefs didn't rebuttle with saying they were discussing it. Has to make you kind of wonder.

My hope is that they are trying to finish a deal with al saunders and incase it doesn't work out they don't want to burn a bridge with daboll and he is their second choice.. But that's just my hope.

marloweopatchiefs
02-04-2012, 05:24 PM
it says they are in discussions as well on kcchiefs.com. Nothing about him being hired yet.

okikcfan
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Well you know where it's going, it's just a matter of how cheap they can get him. I just don't know about this.

Bike
02-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Who is this boob? Apparently Pioli knows the guy. Gotta wonder if he only hires people he personally knows well - as a control sort of thing. I mean, If Al Saunders was able and willing, why isn't he our new OC? Too expensive? And do you guys think Crennel made this decision on his own? I don't know. I believe Pioli had major influence here. Pioli may be thinking too much about money and control and not enough about winning championships. Sounds harsh, but I'm not fond of this decision.

okikcfan
02-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Pioli made a statement that Saunder had a whole different type of offense that would change everything, not his exact words but kinda sorta. Too much to change....

Bike
02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Pioli made a statement that Saunder had a whole different type of offense that would change everything, not his exact words but kinda sorta. Too much to change....
Well, being our offense finished 27th in the league in total offense, one would think that major change is just what the doctor ordered...

#58ChiefsFan
02-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, being our offense finished 27th in the league in total offense, one would think that major change is just what the doctor ordered...

Boom goes the dynamite! You are exactly right.

okikcfan
02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Pioli feels saunders system would take too long,2 to 3 years maybe...

N TX Dave
02-05-2012, 12:20 AM
If Al Saunders was able and willing, why isn't he our new OC? Too expensive?

You are making some assumptions 1st that he is willing we don't know that has he come out and said he is, he may not unless he has complete control of his staff and 2nd he is able he is still under contract with the tRaiders and we don't know if they have given us permission to talk to him or just what they are going to do with him.

GarH
02-05-2012, 08:32 AM
You can throw what he did with the Browns out the window. Vince Lambardi couldn't have made them a decent team. He did improve Miami over the course of the year. I'm not saying he is the surefire home run that everyone wanted but neither is he as bad as some are saying. This looks like a wait and see to me.

Jrudi
02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Hadn't really saw any reports that said they have actually hired him...But then ran across this on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8269804c/article/chiefs-hire-exdolphins-oc-daboll-to-operate-their-offense?module=HP11_MYNFL). It's not on the front page because of all the superbowl news...

Kinda indifferent on the hire...Not sure what to think... Heard someone saying that Pioli thought Saunders offensive scheme would have been too much change compared to our current system...

I can say that I can tell Daboll is a run-first OC seeing as though Reggie Bush posted his first 1000yd season on the ground, and Peyton Hillis's success last season. Plus the Dolphins run offense ranked around 11th in total rushing, yds/play, and yds/gm.

All I can do is trust that it is the right decision...I mean I can't judge his work in cleveland because he really didn't have anything to work with...but with the Doplphins he did have some decent skill players, but not a good QB, the one knock was that he didn't have an off season program to implement his system, and you could clearly tell that the 2nd half of the season the offense really started to click.

If you compare the dolphins offensive players to the Chiefs you have to say that the chiefs have more raw talent as a whole, even though the dolphins do have Bush and Marshall but little after that.

I hope it works out!

(Did read that Zorn is going to stay on as the QB coach, and would only consider leaving if he were to be offered an OC position elsewhere, not just a QB coach position)

figcrostic
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
If this hiring is true I'm not very happy about it. I hope I'm wrong but he seems like nothing more then a yes man for Pioli I'm tired of all the Patriot connections once Brady retires lets see how good the Patriots really are.

nigeriannightmare
02-05-2012, 06:20 PM
If this hiring is true I'm not very happy about it. I hope I'm wrong but he seems like nothing more then a yes man for Pioli I'm tired of all the Patriot connections once Brady retires lets see how good the Patriots really are.

Ryan Mallett is gonna be a stud.

2010chiefs
02-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm also tired of the Pioli/Patriot way here. Clearly there were some proven OC's out there including Zorn, and yet we go with Daboll. An OC that turned an abysmal offense into mediocre. Yet because he's a former patriot he's hired. I hope i'm wrong but i'm not happy about this. OC was our biggest need this offseason and yet most dissapointing thus far as well.

nigeriannightmare
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm also tired of the Pioli/Patriot way here. Clearly there were some proven OC's out there including Zorn, and yet we go with Daboll. An OC that turned an abysmal offense into mediocre. Yet because he's a former patriot he's hired. I hope i'm wrong but i'm not happy about this. OC was our biggest need this offseason and yet most dissapointing thus far as well.

This astounds me. How can u say he is not good at what he does. Peyton hillis had a pretty good year last year, reggie bush bad a pretty good yr this yr, the miami offense put up 30pts or more 4 times the chiefs not once. He hasnt had a team with talent at the skill positions. If peyton hillis and reggie bush have career years under him i cant wait to see whst he does with a talent like jamaal charles.

dbolan
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM

This astounds me. How can u say he is not good at what he does. Peyton hillis had a pretty good year last year, reggie bush bad a pretty good yr this yr, the miami offense put up 30pts or more 4 times the chiefs not once. He hasnt had a team with talent at the skill positions. If peyton hillis and reggie bush have career years under him i cant wait to see whst he does with a talent like jamaal charles.

Well I am not astounded and did not see where he said Daboll was NOT GOOD at what he does.

I agree with his post and look forward to seeing how it all pans out next season.

#58ChiefsFan
02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Crennel hired Daboll not Pioli.

The more I read about him the more I'm comfortable with his hire. Saunders would have been my first choice but I like Daboll more than Zorn. Cassel needs to work with Zorn to get him out of this funk he has been in since Charlie left.

OPLookn
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Crennel hired Daboll not Pioli.

The more I read about him the more I'm comfortable with his hire. Saunders would have been my first choice but I like Daboll more than Zorn. Cassel needs to work with Zorn to get him out of this funk he has been in since Charlie left.

The other thing we get with this pick is a young coach. One that if he does well here and we do well by him could be here for a *very* long time. I think the other reason is that we might possibly be grooming him for a HC position...and by grooming I mean 5+ years if he shows that he could handle it.

I'm not thrilled and wanted a shiny pick but Pioli doesn't go that way with players and more often than not his picks work out better than the shiny ones.

nigeriannightmare
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Well I am not astounded and did not see where he said Daboll was NOT GOOD at what he does.

I agree with his post and look forward to seeing how it all pans out next season.

He said he wasnt proven....dude u just like to stir the pot. This hire is not as bad as everyobe makes it out to be.

dbolan
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
He said he wasnt proven....dude u just like to stir the pot. This hire is not as bad as everyobe makes it out to be.

Not good and "proven" are 2 different things. He has yet to prove himself as a sure success, unlike others in his position. Maybe more time will show otherwise and he appears to be getting that time with all of his Patriot brothers.

Educate yourself....Dude. lmao

Seek
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Really, People are judging him based on the offense of the Browns and Dolphins.

Uh, it is the Browns. The Browns. Every coach fails with the Browns because they have problems that can be fixed.

Not sure about the Dolphins, but they had injury issues and no QB to start the season.

Looked like to me that Dolphins play calling was pretty dang good agains the Chiefs.

nigeriannightmare
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Not good and "proven" are 2 different things. He has yet to prove himself as a sure success, unlike others in his position. Maybe more time will show otherwise and he appears to be getting that time with all of his Patriot brothers.

Educate yourself....Dude. lmao

Okay not proven means no success, no succes means not good. No one can tell you what to think but the all knowing super athelete who is dbolan can dictate to all. Got it im an uneducated graduate of rockhurst university who played sports at the collegiate level sorry my education and life as an athelete dont meet your high expectations. u sir are the epitomy of the word di** and id take my education against urs any day of the week and twice on sunday. LMAO!!!

dbolan
02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Okay not proven means no success, no succes means not good. No one can tell you what to think but the all knowing super athelete who is dbolan can dictate to all. Got it im an uneducated graduate of rockhurst university who played sports at the collegiate level sorry my education and life as an athelete dont meet your high expectations. u sir are the epitomy of the word di** and id take my education against urs any day of the week and twice on sunday. LMAO!!!

Thank you! :bananen_smilies046:

nigeriannightmare
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you! :bananen_smilies046:

It was my pleasure good sir.

okikcfan
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Well don't know if I'm happy with the choice but they know more than I so I will back him 100 percent and hope he does great. Looking forward to the 2012 season. Let's hope we have a great draft and FA.

matthewschiefs
02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
The more I have thought about the choice the more Ok I am with it. He made Reggie Bush a 1,000 yard rusher in the NFL. His offense was ok with Matt Moore look decent. I think there is much more talent to work with In KC. I think he could do even more with. I look forward to seeing what he can do.