PDA

View Full Version : Daboll outlines plans for the Chiefs offense

kcvet
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/article-images/daboll_250_2_7_12.jpg

snip
New Chiefs offensive coordinator Brian Daboll wants to install an offense that will attack the opposition. He wants to go up-tempo, flood defenses with multiple personnel packages and keep defenders off-balance

“Sometimes we’ll move and shift, sometimes we’ll be stationary. I think you need to have ability to get to an up-tempo scheme where you’re in a no-huddle package, threatening runs, passes, all those types of different things. You have to try to keep a defense as off-balance as you can.”

story (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Daboll-wants-to-install-attacking-up-tempo-offense-in-KC/7aca1a89-0663-49a8-b8ee-8d03ef7ee777)

I am a fan of no huddle. Cassel looked really good in it IMO

bigwigbob
02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I am very excited for the hire. Anyone can look like an offensive genius when they are bless with tons of talent. Daboll managed to take sub-par talent and make it serviceable.

kcvet
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I am very excited for the hire. Anyone can look like an offensive genius when they are bless with tons of talent. Daboll managed to take sub-par talent and make it serviceable.

I really don't know anything about him except he's another NE product. we'll see. I do hope he kicks the O in the A and gets it rollin' big time again

#58ChiefsFan
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
He gave a good interview, said all the right things. Sounds like he knows Cassel fairly well and knew what he is getting with him. He talked about game planning to the players strength, that alone makes him an instant upgrade from Muir. Sounds like we won't have to watch Dexter try to run between the tackles.

My main concern now is getting all the ACL's back to 100% so he can utilize what we have to offer.

matthewschiefs
02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I really don't know anything about him except he's another NE product. we'll see. I do hope he kicks the O in the A and gets it rollin' big time again

I don't know to much about him either. But I do know that under him as OC Reggie Bush was a 1,000 yard rusher in the NFL something that no one thought that he could really do. That says something and should be reason to at least not be so down on the hire.

70 chiefsfan70
02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I wasn't and still not real excited, but I'd rather have a new face like him in there then say Zorn or Muir. Our offense is better then they have played and with a new OC and mostly new OL, add a rb and te, possibly a QB, and we shall have a new team with a new and winning additude.

Daboll is our new OC and I will support him until he gives me reason not to.

tornadospotter
02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I have not read more than the first post yet, but still wondering why this hire, and not Saunders? Seems to be the type of offense Al would run. I will read up, but just wondering.

2010chiefs
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't like his connections with Matt Cassel. This tells me Cassel has an advantage in coming in as the starter because these two worked together in New England. He thinks highly of Matt Cassel. I would rather it be a level playing field, not someone that praises Cassel and thinks highly of him. Hopefully he can straighten Cassel out if that's the case. GO CHIEFS!

toyotapower
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I want the guy to succeed. I'm not excited about the hire but we are hinging on him being successful. If he fails romeo goes down with him. If romeo goes down pioli is out too. We can't afford to start over again

ctchiefsfan
02-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Like many here, I don't know enough about the guy to really have an a opinion.

But I am a Chiefs fan, so I say WELCOME to our new OC! Get us a playoff win or two and you'll find out what it's like to have the world's greatest fans on your side!

TopekaRoy
02-08-2012, 02:02 AM
He seems to be saying all the right things, but I think most coaches want to be unpredictable and keep the defense off balance. There are some I guess who are a little to stubborn about sticking to what they do well but we should have the talent to mix things up a bit.

The key to his success will be the return of Charles and Moeoki and a beefed up o-line. It wouldn't hurt to keep Bowe around, too (franchise tag?). If they return to close to 100% of what they were before, Daboll is going to look really good.

Coach
02-08-2012, 07:01 AM
I want the guy to succeed. I'm not excited about the hire but we are hinging on him being successful. If he fails romeo goes down with him. If romeo goes down pioli is out too. We can't afford to start over again
Lots of truth to this. We need this OC to work.

bigwigbob
02-08-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't like his connections with Matt Cassel. This tells me Cassel has an advantage in coming in as the starter because these two worked together in New England. He thinks highly of Matt Cassel. I would rather it be a level playing field, not someone that praises Cassel and thinks highly of him. Hopefully he can straighten Cassel out if that's the case. GO CHIEFS!

What is he supposed to say about the QB we have under contract? What happens if you are not able to find someone to come in and take his job and you still have him next year? Even if he hated Cassel he would be saying the same things about him.

70 chiefsfan70
02-08-2012, 08:14 AM
What is he supposed to say about the QB we have under contract? What happens if you are not able to find someone to come in and take his job and you still have him next year? Even if he hated Cassel he would be saying the same things about him.

Very true. Cassel is our starting qb until he has that title removed. With the right team, run game and OL Cassel will win us a lot of games.

I've not been the biggest Cassel fan, but I just have not seen the chiefs pass up better qb's. Other then some lucky later round draft picks.

dbolan
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Don't think so. lol But regardless, he seems to think they will have a good working relationship, so that is key right now.

Jrudi
02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
He seems to be saying all the right things, but I think most coaches want to be unpredictable and keep the defense off balance. There are some I guess who are a little to stubborn about sticking to what they do well but we should have the talent to mix things up a bit.

The key to his success will be the return of Charles and Moeoki and a beefed up o-line. It wouldn't hurt to keep Bowe around, too (franchise tag?). If they return to close to 100% of what they were before, Daboll is going to look really good.

I think most do, but some are not as successful as they would hope....

Actually I hope he can reproduce what he is talking about. Todd Haley was a very creative up-tempo offensive mind, but for some reason when he was in charge he changed his offensive philosophy to a more grind out the clock, conservative offensive system that hampered our team.

Look at how successful we were offensively when Weis was here. He ran and up tempo unpredictable offense that tossed various formations and personnel groupings. We produced 2 pro bowl offensive players, and a WR that lead the league in TD's, producing 23 pts/game vs 13 pts/gm this season and in 18 2009 (that's 1 td more per game than in 09 and a TD and a FG this year!)

The thing with our skill players is that we have a number of players that can cause HUGE mismatches with a teams base package such as Charles and McCluster. If Dabol can reproduce what he is intending to do I think we will be successful because the no-huddle up-tempo offensive system will limit the ability for the defense to shift to sub packages and bring in different groups of players to match up with our Offensive personnel.

I like what his intentions are, I just hope he sticks to his guns, unlike Haley did and turn into a conservative system.

Canada
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I have not read more than the first post yet, but still wondering why this hire, and not Saunders? Seems to be the type of offense Al would run. I will read up, but just wondering.Saunders is still under contract with Oakland from what I understand. I doubt they would let him break it to come to KC.

Cassel is the best option we have at QB right now. RG3 will cost too much to get, Manning...well...whatever happens with him (I doubt he comes here) There really is no one that is going to give him any competition for the starting spot. I would like to see Case Keenum or Brandon Weeden as a late round pick to provide the competition for next season. Cassel has proven he can put this team in the playoffs with a good run game and solid D. Hell...if he stayed healthy he may have done it again last season. :bananen_smilies046:

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I think change can be a good thing and ofcourse it can also be a bad thing but I have a good feeling about all of this. Pioli and Crennel both know the choices they make this off season have to be dead on. We are a few players short of having a outstanding team this next season and will a good draft and a aggressive FA we will have all the tools in place to make it to the next level. We have waited a long time for everything to come together and click as it should to put us in a spot to be the next 49er team and go from worst to first and I feel this could be that year.

OPLookn
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I like what he was saying. With an up tempo offense Cassel is going to be on display more. The reason I think that is that I'd say the offense has been about 2/3rds to 3/4ths run and the rest pass. With an up tempo I'd say we'll move closer to half and half which will put Cassel on display more.

Some people said that last year was the year Cassel had to step up and show something. Between injuries, Cassel being hurt and all the controversy he got a pass. But I think this year if he doesn't show he can step up and be the QBoTF then I think we'll see more QB moves.

Overall from what most people have said I agree that he said the right things and that saying he's going to plan to the players skills makes me like the guy a little more already.

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Cassel is the best option we have at QB right now. RG3 will cost too much to get, Manning...well...whatever happens with him (I doubt he comes here) There really is no one that is going to give him any competition for the starting spot. I would like to see Case Keenum or Brandon Weeden as a late round pick to provide the competition for next season. Cassel has proven he can put this team in the playoffs with a good run game and solid D. Hell...if he stayed healthy he may have done it again last season. :bananen_smilies046:

Unless they cut or trade Stanzi I really do not see them drafting another QB. I think they will pick up a vet in the FA to compete with Cassel. I for one would not be surprised to see Jason Cambell or Brady Quinn or some one like that being picked up. Not that Cassel can't beat them for the starting job but just to insure that we have a decent backup in case Cassel goes down. Just my thoughts.....:chiefs:

Jrudi
02-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Unless they cut or trade Stanzi I really do not see them drafting another QB. I think they will pick up a vet in the FA to compete with Cassel. I for one would not be surprised to see Jason Cambell or Brady Quinn or some one like that being picked up. Not that Cassel can't beat them for the starting job but just to insure that we have a decent backup in case Cassel goes down. Just my thoughts.....:chiefs:

I was going to post the same thing...

I don't see us drafting a young QB now since we have Stanzi, I don't think they are giving up on him yet...But also because of the situation we were put in this season when Cassel went down. If we were to have had a veteran backup no doubt in my mind both the Pats and Steelers games could have had different outcomes, and we would have been in the playoffs

I don't think they want to risk not having an experience backup. I could see Quinn coming here because of his connections with both Crennel and Daboll. I think he could be adequate with the talent that we could surround him with, I'm not saying he will come in an beat out Cassel for the starting job, but I think he is good enough to push Cassel to up his game so he doesn't loose his job, plus he is young, and we would be paying him backup money so the risk wouldn't be there.

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
I was going to post the same thing...

I don't see us drafting a young QB now since we have Stanzi, I don't think they are giving up on him yet...But also because of the situation we were put in this season when Cassel went down. If we were to have had a veteran backup no doubt in my mind both the Pats and Steelers games could have had different outcomes, and we would have been in the playoffs

I don't think they want to risk not having an experience backup. I could see Quinn coming here because of his connections with both Crennel and Daboll. I think he could be adequate with the talent that we could surround him with, I'm not saying he will come in an beat out Cassel for the starting job, but I think he is good enough to push Cassel to up his game so he doesn't loose his job, plus he is young, and we would be paying him backup money so the risk wouldn't be there.

I agree, to me it's just the smartest move seeing what happen to us last year....

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 01:00 PM
“There were a lot of instances throughout the year with Miami last year where he would do a good job of mixing and matching personnel to create some mismatches,” Cassel said. “That’s the thing I noticed. He’s really good at doing that.”

“I’m excited,” Cassel said. “I think it will be a good fit for us. He’s very detailed. He was very meticulous about his work and he expected a lot out of his players. I was always impressed with him as a coach.”

Here's to a very aggressive 2012 offensive season!

TopekaRoy
02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen anybody post this yet, but there is a good Q&A on KCChiefs.com where Romeo talks about the hiring of Daboll. (link (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/QA-with-Romeo-Crennel/3403f7cd-e635-4a9b-8215-c58577e4ae8a))

In the article, Crennel says :

I know that Brian had worked with Matt and knew Matt but the important thing was Brian’s development as a football coach and what he’s done in his career. ... so it’s more about Brian than Matt Cassel.

He was asked how much influence Pioli had on the pick.

Q: So it was your decision 100%?
CRENNEL: “Yes it was.”

“There were a lot of instances throughout the year with Miami last year where he would do a good job of mixing and matching personnel to create some mismatches,” Cassel said. “That’s the thing I noticed. He’s really good at doing that.”

“I’m excited,” Cassel said. “I think it will be a good fit for us. He’s very detailed. He was very meticulous about his work and he expected a lot out of his players. I was always impressed with him as a coach.”

Here's to a very aggressive 2012 offensive season!
I like those quotes. Do you have a link to the article they came from? I would like to read it.

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I'll see if I can find it real quick...

Bike
02-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Sounds like we got us a mediocre coordinator that can mesh with a mediocre QB in Cassel. Why this is a priority I have no idea.

dbolan
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Sounds like we got us a mediocre coordinator that can mesh with a mediocre QB in Cassel. Why this is a priority I have no idea.

Wonder how much of a bashing you are gonna get for saying that? :lol:

OPLookn
02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Wonder how much of a bashing you are gonna get for saying that? :lol:

None from me. Daboll isn't a shiny pick, for now. He does seem to get the most from guys while play calling to their natural talents. I'm interested to see what Daboll can do but won't bash anyone for saying they are luke warm to disappointed by the pick.

chiefnut
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
i don't care if he is cassels favorite uncle, if he can get the offense w/or/wo cassel to put points up and win games he's got my support.

Canada
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I just think it would be nice if people gave him a chance before hanging him. (not saying here, but i have read a lot of negative stuff about him so far)

ctchiefsfan
02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
The guy is not really a "known commodity". He wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm cautiously optomistic.

GarH
02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
My initial response was a WTF, but the more I learn about him the more I like this hire. Time will tell. Hopefully he will work out and we can have some continuity.

nigeriannightmare
02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Our luck the offense will be near the top of the nfl and hell be a head coach some where after the season and well be looking at another oc. Thats why i like the saunders hire, young coaches are ambitious and are more likely to leave after a short stint. Thats my complaint unless of course hes our coach of the future. Is there anyway to know if thats in his contract?

2010chiefs
02-09-2012, 09:23 PM
What do you like about him. So far his offensive statistics are not impressive besides him turning a terrible Miami offense into mediocre.
Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009 and the 29th ranked offense in 2010. Daboll was named Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Sparano in 2011, with his Dolphins improving from 30th in the league to 20th in overall offense.
Besides his New England Ties. Why else would this guy be considered??

drstandley31
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I hope they have enough success to build on, and keep a coaching group together (assuming we have success) to get consistancy. We need these guys to build on the foundation that's there, and add to it. You can't do that when you have a new OC every year or two. I don't know him, but until they fail, they have my support..... Again. broken record, but what are ya gonna do.

TopekaRoy
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
What do you like about him. So far his offensive statistics are not impressive besides him turning a terrible Miami offense into mediocre.
Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009 and the 29th ranked offense in 2010. Daboll was named Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Sparano in 2011, with his Dolphins improving from 30th in the league to 20th in overall offense.
Besides his New England Ties. Why else would this guy be considered??

Remember that Crennel said that hiring Daboll was his decision "100 %." He worked with Daboll in Cleveland, so he is familiar with how Daboll thinks and what kind of offense he likes to run.

He was a new OC at Miami and didn't have much time to work with the offense in preseason because of the lockout so the Dolphins offense started out slowly. Chad Henne started the first 3 games and it took a little while for Moore to get the offense down once he came in. His first two games he lost to the Chargers and Jets, 2 teams with good defenses at the time. The next 2 games they lost to the Broncos (who made the playoffs) by a FG in overtime and then the Giants (who won the Super Bowl) also by a FG.

During the next 9 games the Dolphins went 6-3 averaging 24 2/3 ppg and scoring over 30 points 4 times, again with a backup QB. That's pretty impressive.

In their first win they moved the ball at will against the Chiefs, winning 31-3 and ending Kansas City's 4 game winning streak. Crennel witnessed that one first hand and I'm sure that made a huge impression on him.

The Chiefs run a similar offense to Miami, but have more talent, so it would be natural to think that if he could get that kind of production out of the Dolphins, he can do real well with the Chiefs.

I think Crennel's familiarity with Daboll, combined with the success he had in the 2nd half of the season and the fact that Daboll is only 36 and could possibly take over as head coach if Romeo, who will turn 65 in June, decides to retire in a few years (after leading the Chiefs to a Super Bowl, of course) were all big factors in his decision.

Daboll was Crennell's first choice, but they had to wait for the Dolphins to release him. Getting Saunders wasn't really an option, because he is under contract with the Raiders and they are keeping him. Green Bay OC Joe Philbin wasn't going to make a lateral move and got the job as Miami's new head coach, so he was out of the picture, too. Once the Chiefs made the decision to go with Crennell as their permanent head coach, Daboll was pretty much a shoo-in for the OC spot.

I like the hire and I'm excited to see what Daboll can do with this offense. He could fail miserably, but let's give him 4 or 5 games before passing judgement. He just might surprise some people.

OPLookn
02-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Remember that Crennel said that hiring Daboll was his decision "100 %." He worked with Daboll in Cleveland, so he is familiar with how Daboll thinks and what kind of offense he likes to run.

He was a new OC at Miami and didn't have much time to work with the offense in preseason because of the lockout so the Dolphins offense started out slowly. Chad Henne started the first 3 games and it took a little while for Moore to get the offense down once he came in. His first two games he lost to the Chargers and Jets, 2 teams with good defenses at the time. The next 2 games they lost to the Broncos (who made the playoffs) by a FG in overtime and then the Giants (who won the Super Bowl) also by a FG.

During the next 9 games the Dolphins went 6-3 averaging 24 2/3 ppg and scoring over 30 points 4 times, again with a backup QB. That's pretty impressive.

In their first win they moved the ball at will against the Chiefs, winning 31-3 and ending Kansas City's 4 game winning streak. Crennel witnessed that one first hand and I'm sure that made a huge impression on him.

The Chiefs run a similar offense to Miami, but have more talent, so it would be natural to think that if he could get that kind of production out of the Dolphins, he can do real well with the Chiefs.

I think Crennel's familiarity with Daboll, combined with the success he had in the 2nd half of the season and the fact that Daboll is only 36 and could possibly take over as head coach if Romeo, who will turn 65 in June, decides to retire in a few years (after leading the Chiefs to a Super Bowl, of course) were all big factors in his decision.

Daboll was Crennell's first choice, but they had to wait for the Dolphins to release him. Getting Saunders wasn't really an option, because he is under contract with the Raiders and they are keeping him. Green Bay OC Joe Philbin wasn't going to make a lateral move and got the job as Miami's new head coach, so he was out of the picture, too. Once the Chiefs made the decision to go with Crennell as their permanent head coach, Daboll was pretty much a shoo-in for the OC spot.

I like the hire and I'm excited to see what Daboll can do with this offense. He could fail miserably, but let's give him 4 or 5 games before passing judgement. He just might surprise some people.

No! :whipping1:

I'd much rather judge him right now without having a single game played...wait that's Baldwin. /end sarcasm

As I've said before it's not a shiny pick but I'm curious to see what the guy will do. Hopefully it's nothing but make the offense put up monster numbers...hmm monster GOOD numbers.

chief31
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I have been quiet about this so far. Mainly because I have little to say.

Positives...

He did get The Dolphins' offense rolling, including getting some big numbers for certain players. And he did it with an offense that was in shambles.

He is familiar with the basic plan that we have been working on, and some of our organization (players, coaches, front office).

He is definitely not over-hyped.

Negatives....

He is not over-hyped. (meaning that fans will cry because he is not the big name.)

He has a very limited experience as an OC.

He did not get good results in Cleveland.

I mean, there is nothing on either side that really impresses my view on the guy, either way.

But then, there was nobody out there who did much for me, aside from Saunders, who I expect would have been fired and booed out of town long before his offense were to get rolling.

So, in the end, I think that it is a pretty decent choice. But my expectations will not be raised because of this hiring.

whackojacko58
02-11-2012, 04:53 PM
.....its the expected hire, think feelings got hurt with us as fans cause we remember our offense with al saunders and then heard were talking to him got our hopes up then they pulled a tadahh and we got daboll. If anyone can pull the best out of cassel it will be daboll. As much as I'm hyping the Manning bus the most realistic approach will take is cassel #1, stanzi will be #2(with a full offseason it just looks like how brady got started in new england, wasnt second string till his second season). and #3 will be a quinn/moore type person. Personaly id like the #3 to be vince young, who knows in the right atmosphere he could explode onto the scene once more. As fans we have our wishes (al saunders),(peyton manning) but we are the New England Chiefs and they dont take high risks, just not pricey ones atleast.

Jrudi
02-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Crennell and Daboll didn't work together in Cleveland. Crennel was fired after the 2008 season, and Daboll came in as the OC in the 2009 season after following Eric Mangini from the New York Jets as the QB coach when Favre was there.

Crennell and Dabolls connection is a Patriot one...Daboll worked as a Defensive assistant under Crennel from 2000-2001 (His First NFL Experience) he then moved over to the Offensive side of the ball to coach the WR's from 2002-2006 (which Crennel Left NE in 2005 to coach the Browns.) From 2007-2008 Daboll followed Eric Mangini from the Pats to the Jets and then to the Browns in 2009-2010, and the Dolphins this last year.

So Crennel doesn't have that much familiarity with how he runs his offenses...He has only viewed him as a Deffensive assistant, and a WR's coach.

azchiefsfan
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Well, with the decision already having been made, and me not having been consulted, all I can do is hope for the best. Even with Haley's incompetence, we were damn close to a contending team. If we can build on what we had and patch up the holes in the line, I think we can look forward to some good ball playing. Daboll might just shock us all; hopefully for the better.
:chiefs:

okikcfan
02-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Pioli and Crennel contacted me on this a few weeks ago asking my advice, of course being a non-season ticket holder and my Lear being down for repairs I was unable to meet with them and Daboll. I asked them to carefully consider all the options here and to take this slow, but it didn't work out as I had planned. Now neither are returning my calls, I just don't understand....

TopekaRoy
02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Crennell and Daboll didn't work together in Cleveland. ...
So Crennel doesn't have that much familiarity with how he runs his offenses...He has only viewed him as a Deffensive assistant, and a WR's coach.

My bad. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the dates, I guess. And I don't pay any attention to Cleveland in general. :lol:

They both coached at Cleveland and they have worked together a number of years. Those two facts got crossed and mixed together in my head. But they have worked together and Crennel obviously likes what he has seen from Daboll, so I'm sure that played a big part in the decision.

Pioli and Crennel contacted me on this a few weeks ago asking my advice, of course being a non-season ticket holder and my Lear being down for repairs I was unable to meet with them and Daboll. I asked them to carefully consider all the options here and to take this slow, but it didn't work out as I had planned. Now neither are returning my calls, I just don't understand....

:lol: They could have at least video-conferenced with you. Thos B@st@rds! Just because you aren't a season ticket holder ...

ctchiefsfan
02-12-2012, 12:22 AM
but we are the New England Chiefs

Please don't say that! Been a Chiefs fan since Johnson was President but now I live in New England and I HATE THE SPLATS!!!!!!!