PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Needs?

trck7766
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
I think the Chiefs need to work on their Offensive line, get another good Tight End, pick-up a Free Agent Wide Receiver (like Jackson from San Diego, or Philly), and another Good free agent Quarterback. Everything else is in place, what do you think?:chiefs:

OPLookn
02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I think the Chiefs need to work on their Offensive line, get another good Tight End, pick-up a Free Agent Wide Receiver (like Jackson from San Diego, or Philly), and another Good free agent Quarterback. Everything else is in place, what do you think?:chiefs:

Overall I agree with your list but I'd add NT to the list. Gregg might have one more year left and Powe seems unable or ready to be on the 53 man roster. Past that the list is dependent upon who we lose or gain in free agency.

Can't say that I'd want Jackson from either San Diego or Philly. There's to much ego there and not enough team.

Jrudi
02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Overall I agree with your list but I'd add NT to the list. Gregg might have one more year left and Powe seems unable or ready to be on the 53 man roster. Past that the list is dependent upon who we lose or gain in free agency.

Can't say that I'd want Jackson from either San Diego or Philly. There's to much ego there and not enough team.

Agree that I wouldn't want either Jackson..

I actually have never understood where all of the hype for Vincent Jackson came from..His career best catch total in a season is 69 he then follows that up with 60, 14, 59, 41, 27, & 3. With a pass happy offense and Rivers chucking the ball I would think he should at least have a couple 80 catch seasons (Bowe has had 2 80+ catch seasons, 2 70+ catch seasons, and the debacle with Haley in 09 still had him nab 47 balls, in an offense that is clearly run-first.)

He does have 3 1000 yd seasons....but just barely over. I'm not saying he is not a good WR...I'm just saying that I don't think he is as good as the entire "hold-out" last year made him out to be.

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Jackson is the problem step child. Need to beef up the O line first and foremost add another solid TE. If Bowe stays we look pretty solid in that area not that we couldn't add another WR. Need more depth all around and a good back up QB.

OPLookn
02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Jackson is the problem step child. Need to beef up the O line first and foremost add another solid TE. If Bowe stays we look pretty solid in that area not that we couldn't add another WR. Need more depth all around and a good back up QB.

I've looked at mocks that have us drafting Egnew from Missouri in the 4th. This draft seems pretty deep in TE's that can come in and handle the load just fine. If we can stock pile a few draft picks I'd be perfectly happy picking up a TE with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

matthewschiefs
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Biggest needs
O LINE O LINE O LINE anther pass rusher and did I mention O LINE. And a Qb to battle with Cassel Oh did I forget O LINE

Jrudi
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I've looked at mocks that have us drafting Egnew from Missouri in the 4th. This draft seems pretty deep in TE's that can come in and handle the load just fine. If we can stock pile a few draft picks I'd be perfectly happy picking up a TE with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Wouldn't mind a guy like Ladarius Green from La-Lafayette... In rounds 3-5

Major colleges didn't scout him because he was viewed as a tall, skinny, receiver without great speed. But he was recruited to play TE and has since bulked up without loosing speed.

In 2010: Led all tight ends nationally in receiving yardage (794), receiving yards-per-game (79.4), receiving yards-per-catch (18.0), games with 80 yards or more receiving (7) and receiving touchdowns (7)

also a 2 year starter, with 3 years significant playing experience. Could be a nice option to pair with Moeaki as a receiving threat

figcrostic
02-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Biggest needs
O LINE O LINE O LINE anther pass rusher and did I mention O LINE. And a Qb to battle with Cassel Oh did I forget O LINE

I'm with you on the O-line and a qb battle but I think Justin Houston has really stepped up, him and Hali are going to be a force this season.

Jrudi
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I agree we need O-line help...

I would love David DeCastro...but I have been thinking recently that RT is more of a pressing need at the moment because Lilja is still under contract...and I'm pretty sure the only OT's under contract are Albert, Maneri, and Mims if I'm not mistaken...

Not set on Maneri being the RT or Mims for that matter (basically because he hasn't had the experience yet, and was an undrafted FA last year)

So I'm thinking more like Jonathan Martin or Riely Reiff in Round 1.

Thoughts on which is the bigger need right now LG or RT???

Think we need saftey depth (Maybe Merriweather?), NT, TE, WR (a speedster to stretch the field), and of course QB depth (maybe Brady Quinn?)

figcrostic
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Biggest needs in this order: RT, NT, QB, TE, RG, Power RB.

TopekaRoy
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure we need a veteran WR as much as a lot of people think we do, as long as we keep Bowe. Breaston is pretty good and Baldwin will continue to get better. Having Charles and Moeoki back will help out our pass offense a lot. Both are pretty good receivers and having the threat of Charles running the ball will open up the passing game for everybody.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting another TE or WR in a later round, but I don't think we need to spend a lot of money on a big name FA veteran. I would agree that O-line and back-up QB are huge needs for the Chiefs.

figcrostic
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM

I would love David DeCastro...but I have been thinking recently that RT is more of a pressing need at the moment because Lilja is still under contract...and I'm pretty sure the only OT's under contract are Albert, Maneri, and Mims if I'm not mistaken...

Not set on Maneri being the RT or Mims for that matter (basically because he hasn't had the experience yet, and was an undrafted FA last year)

Think we need saftey depth (Maybe Merriweather?), NT, TE, WR (a speedster to stretch the field), and of course QB depth (maybe Brady Quinn?)

Brady Quinn?? What has he done to make you think he's better then anyone on our roster??

okikcfan
02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I think the point he was trying to make is we need a vet QB to challenge Cassel and in case Cassel goes down this next season as we saw this last season. Quinn is a FA along with Cambell and many others. We have to have some one who has already proved he can play, would he be the best? Not likely but we have to have some one who can play, not like Palko....

trck7766
02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
This was a good discussion, we all agreed on most thing
s. I just love this site, I just joined today.

I'm from Ohio, and I've been a Chiefs fan for many years. Of course we don't have Chiefs items here, so I try to order things from various magazines.

I do think we need another QB.

chief31
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Well, if we were to consider every starter returning next year, and those lost to injury returning at 100%, then I say OT; OG; ILB; RB....

And welcome to The Crowd.

Eydugstr
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
O-line, O-line, O-line. After that maybe a tight end. Or possibly a good blocking FB.

:chiefs:

70 chiefsfan70
02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
This was a good discussion, we all agreed on most thing
s. I just love this site, I just joined today.

I'm from Ohio, and I've been a Chiefs fan for many years. Of course we don't have Chiefs items here, so I try to order things from various magazines.

I do think we need another QB.

Welcome!

QB is certainly a must. I think we will be picking one up though free agency, one with actual experience, we all saw what happened last year.

2010chiefs
02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Re-sign Kyle Orton for some real QB competition. Pick up Martin in the first round and draft a tight end or go after Jermichael Finley. Draft a stud RB or pick up Tolbert or Green-Ellis(NE ties). Also need another veteran wide receiver with or without Bowe like Deion Branch(NE ties) or Brandon Loyd. Draft a DE and ILB.

Chiefster
02-09-2012, 03:01 AM

Kyle Orton, but I think everyone expects him to go somewhere he will be be the guy from the start.

Welcome aboard the "Crowd"! :smile

Jrudi
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Brady Quinn?? What has he done to make you think he's better then anyone on our roster??

Think it's a coincidence that his last start was a win over the Chiefs 41-34...

I don't think anyone has given him a chance to succeed, when he was drafted he was late to training camp, and Derek Anderson was awarded the job to start the season because of this, with the early success Anderson remained at the starting position the remainder of the season, Quinn got his first start the final game of the regular season...this was the year the browns actually finished 10-6.

The following season, Phil Savage (GM) came out and announced Anderson as their starter moving forward, already knocking Quinn's chances down...The team went 3-5 with Anderson and they made a switch to Quinn, He played really good agaisn't the Broncos and almost won, the following week he beat the Bills but injured his finger, trying to play through it the next game against the Texans he was taken out because of it and was placed on IR.

So to this point he has 3 full game starts....

The next season (His Last in Cleveland) Eric Mangini became the coach, and with a new coach it normally means open competition for QB, which it was. Quinn won the job, starting out with 2 losses to Minnesotta (the year they went to the NFC Championship) and Denver, Quinn was replaced the next week vs Baltimore at Halftime in favor of Anderson. Anderson lead the Browns to a 1-5 record and Quinn replaced Anderson as the starter after the Bye, Week 10 they lost to Baltimore 16-0 on Monday night football, but followed it up by throwing for 304 yds and 4 tds agaisnt Detroit. The next week they beat the Steelers, and followed it up by beating the Chiefs. Quinn would be placed on IR the following week with a foot injury.

So to this point he has 5 full games total in his career, with a 3-5 combined record...HE HASN'T EVEN PLAYED A FULL SEASON!!!

I had the same thoughts when I came up with his name to add via FA "What makes me think he will be any good"

Fact of the matter is, he has never been given a chance (even in Denver, no way they could have started him over Tebow, too much fan push-back would have occurred), He has been able to set and learn, and we could bring him in with backup money.
Not saying he will come in a light it up, but I think there was a reason he was considered a first round draft choice. He is young and athletic, and the risk would be minimal. I think he is good enough to push Cassel to be better, and if it works out in our favor could become Cassel's successor if we need to in a year or so.

The connection is there with Crennel and Dabol, so I thought it would be a possibility...

dbolan
02-09-2012, 10:12 AM
With Quinn, at this point he has the fire to prove he can be a starter. He has a very good arm and is athletic. He also has experience in several different offensive schemes and let's not forget that Orton did not beat him out of the starter position by alot in Denver. On that note, he would not come with a hefty price tag either due to looking for a real shot at being the man.

pojote
02-09-2012, 10:20 AM
RT first and foremost, then ILB -Belcher is good, but not as much this team needs-, a young Thomas Jones for RB, OG. That's for starters or near starters, and supposing that we keep Carr and Bowe.
For backups, an experienced QB, TE, safeties, OLB, WR.
Addressing TE: we only have one under contract, Moeaki, he is as good as anyone, but behind, we don't have much. Pope is below average in pass protection and blocking, neither very good receiving. Becht is serviceable, very good blocking, but a veteran, just good as a third stringer. O'Connell should be let go.

Bike
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
The Chiefs need a GM that can, and will, go out and win us championships. Pioli, with his power-hungry ego and his catering to the ownership is looking more like Carl Peterson every day.

jason1981
02-09-2012, 10:35 AM
i think rt then dt then guard. dont think gregg is coming back. and richardson killed us in the worst times with penelties alone. and i would like a upgrade of lilja someone bigger. after all this then we need depth at almost every position. this is all asuming we keep carr and bowe if i had to choose one id keep carr. prisco names him the second highest free agent and bowe was like a few spots after but carr is a good 2nd corner snd coukd be a 1 in another defense such like new england and hes still young with lots of exp so hes a must resign. but te,ol,s,qb is where we need the most depth and rb though i think battle could be a good #2.

OPLookn
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM

This is why I'm at a toss up for drafting interior OLine vs a RT. We seem to be at the same crossroads for both LG and RT. We can bring in free agency, resign Richardson and leave Lilja, draft one or both positions or do nothing.

The problem I see is that if we draft a RT and leave the LG position alone we'll be complaining about Lilja in 2012. As for backups the stable is bare so if we draft DeCastro my guess is that we'd plug him in immediately and then we have Lilja as a backup and at this point in his career unless last year was a fluke he's digressed to a backup position. So we'd really be set if that happened.

I voted hastily in your poll Jrudi but my true vote would have been to draft DeCastro in the 1st (since I've seen mocks with Arizona drafting him or if he slips past them going to Dallas who has the very next pick. So it's not like we're really reaching with him. Anyway then in the 2nd picking up Zebrie for the RT. Doing this would give us Lilja in the wings and would let us resign Richardson for cheap. Before anyone jumps on me we can all agree that Richardson isn't a starter but I think he's a serviceable backup.

Then we'd have our OLine set for the next decade more or less with some backups that are truely backups and not the likes of Palko. Not only that but with that kind of talent there we don't need Richardson (although he'd greatly be appreciated there) because I could get 4 yards a carry behind that line.

:lol:

Richardson is the sexy pick but he's been vaulting up the boards lately and I don't think he'll be there when we pick. When it comes to RT I'm thinking one if not two of the top RT's will be gone (Martin, Reiff or Adams) which leaves us with the third best RT in the draft. If we're going that route I'd rather have the best LG in the draft and then draft the 4th best RT in the second round. Just my opinion. But I'd agree that we need to draft a TE and safety in the 3rd and 4th rounds or find one or both in free agency. When Berry went out our safety position went from locked down on starters to a merry go round.

Jrudi
02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
This is why I'm at a toss up for drafting interior OLine vs a RT. We seem to be at the same crossroads for both LG and RT. We can bring in free agency, resign Richardson and leave Lilja, draft one or both positions or do nothing.

The problem I see is that if we draft a RT and leave the LG position alone we'll be complaining about Lilja in 2012. As for backups the stable is bare so if we draft DeCastro my guess is that we'd plug him in immediately and then we have Lilja as a backup and at this point in his career unless last year was a fluke he's digressed to a backup position. So we'd really be set if that happened.

I voted hastily in your poll Jrudi but my true vote would have been to draft DeCastro in the 1st (since I've seen mocks with Arizona drafting him or if he slips past them going to Dallas who has the very next pick. So it's not like we're really reaching with him. Anyway then in the 2nd picking up Zebrie for the RT. Doing this would give us Lilja in the wings and would let us resign Richardson for cheap. Before anyone jumps on me we can all agree that Richardson isn't a starter but I think he's a serviceable backup.

Then we'd have our OLine set for the next decade more or less with some backups that are truely backups and not the likes of Palko. Not only that but with that kind of talent there we don't need Richardson (although he'd greatly be appreciated there) because I could get 4 yards a carry behind that line.

:lol:

Richardson is the sexy pick but he's been vaulting up the boards lately and I don't think he'll be there when we pick. When it comes to RT I'm thinking one if not two of the top RT's will be gone (Martin, Reiff or Adams) which leaves us with the third best RT in the draft. If we're going that route I'd rather have the best LG in the draft and then draft the 4th best RT in the second round. Just my opinion. But I'd agree that we need to draft a TE and safety in the 3rd and 4th rounds or find one or both in free agency. When Berry went out our safety position went from locked down on starters to a merry go round.

I like the idea of Decastro in Round 1 and Sanders in 2..Would love the line combo here, and would probably address our biggest needs and be a safe option. If we did this we could then opt to look at Tolbert in FA or draft a guy like Vick Ballard in rounds 4-5....

I would much rather have the top rated interior lineman as well vs the 3rd-4th best OT in round 1 when we could get the 4th or 5th best OT in round 2...

The only thing I continue to drag my feet on is the idea that Lilja is still a serviceable starter for at least another year... Do we want to replace him right now with someone more expensive, or do what we did with Asamoah and Hudson?? and address another position with our 1st rounder?

Jrudi
02-09-2012, 06:00 PM

I don't think anyone has given him a chance to succeed, when he was drafted he was late to training camp, and Derek Anderson was awarded the job to start the season because of this, with the early success Anderson remained at the starting position the remainder of the season, Quinn got his first start the final game of the regular season...this was the year the browns actually finished 10-6.

The following season, Phil Savage (GM) came out and announced Anderson as their starter moving forward, already knocking Quinn's chances down...The team went 3-5 with Anderson and they made a switch to Quinn, He played really good agaisn't the Broncos and almost won, the following week he beat the Bills but injured his finger, trying to play through it the next game against the Texans he was taken out because of it and was placed on IR.

So to this point he has 3 full game starts....

The next season (His Last in Cleveland) Eric Mangini became the coach, and with a new coach it normally means open competition for QB, which it was. Quinn won the job, starting out with 2 losses to Minnesotta (the year they went to the NFC Championship) and Denver, Quinn was replaced the next week vs Baltimore at Halftime in favor of Anderson. Anderson lead the Browns to a 1-5 record and Quinn replaced Anderson as the starter after the Bye, Week 10 they lost to Baltimore 16-0 on Monday night football, but followed it up by throwing for 304 yds and 4 tds agaisnt Detroit. The next week they beat the Steelers, and followed it up by beating the Chiefs. Quinn would be placed on IR the following week with a foot injury.

So to this point he has 5 full games total in his career, with a 3-5 combined record...HE HASN'T EVEN PLAYED A FULL SEASON!!!

I had the same thoughts when I came up with his name to add via FA "What makes me think he will be any good"

Fact of the matter is, he has never been given a chance (even in Denver, no way they could have started him over Tebow, too much fan push-back would have occurred), He has been able to set and learn, and we could bring him in with backup money.
Not saying he will come in a light it up, but I think there was a reason he was considered a first round draft choice. He is young and athletic, and the risk would be minimal. I think he is good enough to push Cassel to be better, and if it works out in our favor could become Cassel's successor if we need to in a year or so.

The connection is there with Crennel and Dabol, so I thought it would be a possibility...

I need to go back to math class haha

I meant he has had 9 full starts with a 3-6 combined record. With what he had to work with in Cleveland I would think this isn't to bad of a record.

AkChief49
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM

It had to be a coincidence, he was 10/17 for 66 yds. and two ints. 0tds. in that game.:D Harrison killed us with 286 yds. that game.

nigeriannightmare
02-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Biggest needs in this order: RT, NT, QB, TE, RG, Power RB.

With the cap room we have and our flexibility to trade down and stockpile a couple more picks, which i hope we do, there is no reason why every hole isnt plugged. September can not get here fast enough.

Jrudi
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
It had to be a coincidence, he was 10/17 for 66 yds. and two ints. 0tds. in that game.:D Harrison killed us with 286 yds. that game.

Hey man in the NFL a wins a win...

even if he threw for 300 yards and 2 tds, if it would have been a loss, people would still be dogging him because it was a loss.

the year we were 4-12 If I remember right 6 of those games were by 7 points or less and a number of them went to overtime...Fact of the matter is, it was labeled as a sh**ty season because we lost all of those games no matter what the stats were, or the scores...

Just saying that based on the QB's available via FA, I think he's one that would be a nice option to take a chance on, because he is still young, and hasn't actually been given a fair shot to prove if he can do anything...If he can whoopie! horray for us, if not not big deal we paid him backup money

chief31
02-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I like the Brady Quinn idea. But I would be surprised if he didn't get some offers where he might get a better chance to be the starter. Say... Jacksonville, or Minnesota? Maybe Arizona?

He is in an usual point in his career where he could still be looked at as a guy who could be your long-term solution at QB, a back-up, or even a project, such as Ricky Stanzi is for The Chiefs.

But his highest value would be as a long-term solution. The long-term starter is just worth a whole lot more than a back-up, or a project.

trck7766
02-13-2012, 09:15 AM
How about a NT and Alabama's RB? I think we need a power RB, we have all the speed we need. Protect the QB, keep the WRs we have, and pick-up another TE, so we have the ability to do like the Patriots. Or RBs are much better than the Patriots! As a whole, we should be better than the Patriots this season.

trck7766
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Are there any FFB players out there? If so, could you send me a private message and maybe we can play against eachother this season.:chiefs:

N TX Dave
02-17-2012, 10:58 PM
How about Paul Soliai, NT, age 28
Nose tackle Kelly Gregg has been a consistent performer for the last few seasons (in both Kansas City and Baltimore), but at age 35 and already undersized for the position, it would be wise to find a suitable replacement.
Considering Crennel's preference for behemoths at the nose, Soliai (6'4", 355 lbs) would be the perfect fit.