PDA

View Full Version : Marq. Colsto/ Nicks from Saints

KCCF
02-09-2012, 06:01 AM
I read that the saints may not be able to retain both if breese doesn't sign and they're forced to use their franchise on him(breese) .

Say we let bowe walk(hope not), franchise Carr, do you think the chiefs are in a position to bid for those players? If bowe does leave what are our options? I havent heard any news the past week about them (Carr/bowe) so I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I am excited about next year though.

dbolan
02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Would love to see another WR added like Colston. I think that would "sure up" everything at that position and pose a threat everytime the ball is snapped.

Jrudi
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I read that the saints may not be able to retain both if breese doesn't sign and they're forced to use their franchise on him(breese) .

Say we let bowe walk(hope not), franchise Carr, do you think the chiefs are in a position to bid for those players? If bowe does leave what are our options? I havent heard any news the past week about them (Carr/bowe) so I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I am excited about next year though.

Not saying I wouldn't love Colston, but I think Nicks would be the more likely addition to our team...

First off I think we tag Bowe, Not Carr....Simply because if we tag Carr we will be inflating his contract higher than what it needs to be. Carr is a very good corner, but, he is more than likely not going to recieve top 10 money elsewhere in FA so we would in turn be paying him a couple million more than what would actually be needed to retain him (Tagging a player guarantees the player the average of the top 10 salaries at their position group)

Bowe on the other hand would be considered a top 10-15 WR, and we will more than likely have to pay him at least that much to stay anyways, so IMO I think it is the smarter move to tag Bowe and work to re-sign Carr asap.

Secondly, Colston would be nasty, but I don't think we should give up on Baldwin just yet...He showed some pretty nice flashes last year, and with our addition of Breaston to the group last year, I think we will look to add a second teir talent at the position for sub packages rather than adding another potential starter.

I think New Orleans will more than likely work to nail down both Brees and Colston first...Seeing as they have already given Jahari Evans, their other OG, big money to stay in town, I don't think they can afford to pay big money to both of their OG's so I think it's more likely he leaves, which I would love to grab him to replace Lilja.

jap1
02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
One thing to consider in the WR discussion, is that we DO have Dexter Mccluster who is supposed to be our slot back. With a healthy RB, I would expect to see a lot more of DMC in the slot position.

chief31
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
First off I think we tag Bowe, Not Carr....Simply because if we tag Carr we will be inflating his contract higher than what it needs to be. Carr is a very good corner, but, he is more than likely not going to recieve top 10 money elsewhere in FA so we would in turn be paying him a couple million more than what would actually be needed to retain him (Tagging a player guarantees the player the average of the top 10 salaries at their position group)

Bowe on the other hand would be considered a top 10-15 WR, and we will more than likely have to pay him at least that much to stay anyways, so IMO I think it is the smarter move to tag Bowe and work to re-sign Carr asap.

Secondly, Colston would be nasty, but I don't think we should give up on Baldwin just yet...He showed some pretty nice flashes last year, and with our addition of Breaston to the group last year, I think we will look to add a second teir talent at the position for sub packages rather than adding another potential starter.

I think New Orleans will more than likely work to nail down both Brees and Colston first...Seeing as they have already given Jahari Evans, their other OG, big money to stay in town, I don't think they can afford to pay big money to both of their OG's so I think it's more likely he leaves, which I would love to grab him to replace Lilja.

If both are here in 2012, I suspect you are right about which guy gets a long-term deal, and which guy is franchised.

But not for the reasons that you mentioned. More because Pioli will be looking to let Bowe go after one more year, in favor of his big first round pick, Baldwin.

70 chiefsfan70
02-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Not saying I wouldn't love Colston, but I think Nicks would be the more likely addition to our team...

I just don't think Colston will be an option the chiefs will consider. First off we are not a pass happy team and won't be as long as Cassel is behind center. Our bread and butter is running the ball and win the game with our defense. Secondly if we are having a hard time paying Bowe how would be able to give Colston the BIG money he would require. I may be wrong but I'd say Colston will get the bigger paycheck of the two in 2012.

I agree with you that Carl Nicks is more likely to come here. I would love to see that happen,at 6 ft 5 in. 343 pounds he is exactly what we need. This guy is a great run blocker a and also quite good at pass protection. From what I have read he is not likely to be resigned by the Saints.

Another thing to consider, next year Dorsey and Albert will be free agents.

chief31
02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't see Colston as a realistic possibility. If we allow Bowe to go, then it would be a backward move to pay a top FA, when we could have done that with a better talent, who is already a part of this team.

And if we were to keep Bowe, despite the complaints of many, we have a pretty full WR corp with Baldwin, Bowe, Breaston and McCluster.

We have positions that are in need of some big improvements. But WR is not one of them, so long as we retain what we have, in my opinion.

Now Nicks I like. And he would be a big move toward creating a strong interior running game.

He is my #1 FA target right now.

Jrudi
02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't see Colston as a realistic possibility. If we allow Bowe to go, then it would be a backward move to pay a top FA, when we could have done that with a better talent, who is already a part of this team.

And if we were to keep Bowe, despite the complaints of many, we have a pretty full WR corp with Baldwin, Bowe, Breaston and McCluster.

We have positions that are in need of some big improvements. But WR is not one of them, so long as we retain what we have, in my opinion.

Now Nicks I like. And he would be a big move toward creating a strong interior running game.

He is my #1 FA target right now.

We'll if your name is Scott Pioli I think I'd be pretty happy right now!

Three7s
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
We're not getting Nicks. Pioli isn't going to give a guard that kind of money, no matter how good he is.

TopekaRoy
02-12-2012, 06:55 PM
We're not getting Nicks. Pioli isn't going to give a guard that kind of money, no matter how good he is.

Nicks made $2.61 million last year and I think he will get around $3 million per year in FA. That's more that double the average of $1.267 for o-linemen, but I think he is worth it. We re-signed Ryan Succup for almost $3 million per year and we have a lot of cap space. O-line is our biggest need this year, so I don't think it is out of the question that we would sign him.

KCCF
02-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Nicks made $2.61 million last year and I think he will get around $3 million per year in FA. That's more that double the average of $1.267 for o-linemen, but I think he is worth it. We re-signed Ryan Succup for almost $3 million per year and we have a lot of cap space. O-line is our biggest need this year, so I don't think it is out of the question that we would sign him.

Yeah I agree. Who says pioli wont? He needs to do something and said he was going to be aggressive in free agency this year. I feel like even just 1 lineman will make a huge difference especially given how we will likely spend our 1st round on a lineman as well.

nicfre2011
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Where are you getting this??!! What is the $1.267 average for offensive linemen?? You can't take the average for offensive lineman and figure doubling that is the contract Nicks will get. That is counting alot of minimum salary guys that are on rosters for depth. If you want a true value or rather projected cost of a player, you need to look at comparable recent contracts....you will quickly find Nicks is going to make alot more than $3 million!!

2012 NFL Top Average Salaries - Guard (http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/guard/)

Now, if the signing bonus (and some roster bonuses) are high enough, Nicks may agree to a couple of base salaries of $3 million, but I would think he and his agent at a minimum are looking to be in the top 10 paid guards in the NFL...and if the market is right, I would say top 5 is a real possibility.

TopekaRoy
02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Where are you getting this??!! What is the $1.267 average for offensive linemen?? You can't take the average for offensive lineman and figure doubling that is the contract Nicks will get. That is counting alot of minimum salary guys that are on rosters for depth. If you want a true value or rather projected cost of a player, you need to look at comparable recent contracts....you will quickly find Nicks is going to make alot more than $3 million!!

2012 NFL Top Average Salaries - Guard (http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/guard/)

Now, if the signing bonus (and some roster bonuses) are high enough, Nicks may agree to a couple of base salaries of $3 million, but I would think he and his agent at a minimum are looking to be in the top 10 paid guards in the NFL...and if the market is right, I would say top 5 is a real possibility.

I got the average from a Sport Illustrated link, and you are right that includes a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers which brings the "average" down.

Thanks for posting that link. I tried to find that information (Google) but couldn't bring up a list of the top paid guards. I didn't realize that OGs were getting that much money, (although I think they deserve it). 3 million would put Nicks at 17th on the 2011 list and he certainly will get more than that. 6 million just barely gets him into the top ten, so my estimate was way to low.

I'm not sure the Chiefs will be willing to go that high on a guard, but they will have to do some spending. There is just too much uncertainty in relying on rookie draft picks to be able to come in and make an impact right away.

There are some tough decisions ahead for our Chiefs.

honda522
02-12-2012, 09:38 PM
If we couldn't keep Bowe, and we got Colston, I would have a heart attack. Colston is awesome. It would suck seeing Bowe leave, but Colston is a beast.

jap1
02-13-2012, 04:46 AM
One reason I think it is important to try extremely hard to keep Bowe is that he is good in run blocking. I'm not sure if or how good colston is, but I know Bowe's strength makes him a good run blocker, which is very important when you are a running team, and especially a team that has speed rbs that like to try and hit the edge.