PDA

View Full Version : chiefs have talked to mannings agent

whackojacko58
02-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Kansas City Radio Hosts Reporting Peyton Manning's Agent, Chiefs Have Been Talking

Feb 23 7:55p by Jeremy Mauss (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/authors/jeremy-mauss)
Read More: Peyton Manning (QB - IND) (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2807/peyton-manning), Indianapolis Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts), Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/kansas-city-chiefs)
Peyton Manning (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2807/peyton-manning) is looking to be one of the biggest free agents in a very long time, and of course nearly every NFL team will have some interest in Manning. According to Nick Wright and Bob Fescoe of 610 Sports are both reporting that Manning's agent Tom Condon has spoken with the Chiefs that Manning really could be heading to Kansas City.
Teams and agents are not to be talking about players are under contract, and this would mean that the Chiefs would be tampering, but Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/kansas-city-radio-host-says-chiefs-condon-have-spoken-about-peyton-manning/) points out this happens all the time, especially at the NFL Combine.
Florio also says why Manning would be a good fit for the Chiefs:

Nick Wright:
I know a lot of you guys thought I was joking about Peyton to KC being possible, but I'm hearing more and more that it really could happen.

Bob Fescoe:
Hearing the #chiefs (https://twitter.com/search/%23chiefs) and tom condon have spoken twice abt peyton manning. Told financials a good fit for kc. We shall see what happens

Mike Florio:

Manning makes sense for the Chiefs for various reasons. They have more than enough cap space, a relatively strong defense, a great young running back in Jamaal Charles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34464/jamaal-charles), and competent receivers (who'd look a lot better with Peyton Manning throwing the passes). Last year, even after Charles, safety Eric Berry (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108650/eric-berry), and tight end Tony Moeaki (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108522/tony-moeaki) were lost early to torn ACLs, the Chiefs pulled it together and nearly pulled off a second straight AFC West title.

bricooper78
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I know it will make me look like a 12 year old girl, but I (A Cassel backer btw) will break down in tears of joy if we signed Manning.

and i may tinkle my drawers a little bit too :D

but I really hope that guy is healthy before he tries to come back, to any team.

whackojacko58
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I know it will make me look like a 12 year old girl, but I (A Cassel backer btw) will break down in tears of joy if we signed Manning.

but I really hope that guy is healthy before he tries to come back, to any team.

:punk: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :rock_dj: :jump1: :bounce016: :sSig_youtheman:

AussieChiefsFan
02-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Would be nice to have him. We definitely have the money

doobs_05
02-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Wouldn't this break some rules since Manning is still on the colts?

TopekaRoy
02-24-2012, 01:45 AM

That doesn't make you look like a 12 year old girl.

Whoops. I spoke too soon! :lol:

TopekaRoy
02-24-2012, 01:47 AM

Yes, it would, so Sshhh ... don't tell anybody! :smile

Coach
02-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Which is exactly why there is likely no validity to this story. All of the reasons laid out for Manning joining KC make sense, but I highly doubt that we would tamper.

AussieChiefsFan
02-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Which is exactly why there is likely no validity to this story. All of the reasons laid out for Manning joining KC make sense, but I highly doubt that we would tamper.

Chances are this is true. It'd still be nice to see a re-do of having a HOF QB come to KC for their last years

Jrudi
02-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Would be ecstatic!!!!

Another reason Manning makes sense.....Manning has already came out and said he would be willing to sign a contract with little to no guaranteed money, and base his contract on incentive based bonuses.

Sounds like a situation Pioli would like. Manning has made enough money, his drive now is to cement his name in the Hall of Fame, and we all know that without Championships he will not be talked about as one of the greatest ever (even if he is).

Look at Tom Brady, he gets talked about so much more than Manning because of this Championships and Appearances in those games.

Manning's drive now is Championships, not money. The Chiefs have a better Defense than the Colts ever had while manning was there, a core group of talented Offensive skill players, and 1 player away from a better O-line (yes o-line) than the colts ever had while he was there.

Plus it sounds like (from FA players like Thomas Jones, Leron McClain, and Stanford Rout) that the Chiefs have a pretty good sales pitch, and that they are starting to be viewed around the league as an up and coming championship caliber team who's managment are committed to win championships as well.

Lets look at the other teams who have been mentioned to have interest:

Jets- Team chemistry is a mess, and manning might see that getting in the way of a championship. Plus Rex Ryan's personality is far from the type of coach Tony Dungy and Jim Caldwell were.

Dolphins- I think is more likely than the Jets. But Their Defense is not as good as the Chiefs, and The Dolphins spin on it would be a marketing tactic to bring a star in...and Manning seems to be more of a Blue-Collar type player (even though he is well known.)

Cardinals- Just not sold on them as a championship caliber team even with him there. I think it would be a similar situation to what he has had in Indy with, a mediocre cast around him that could cause him to come up short in big games.

Chiefs- Best Defense out of any of the above mentioned team (besides arguably the jets) that will help take preassure off of him to carry the load. Has a coach who has a similar personality to Dungy (Calm yet commands respect). Team Chemsitry is awesome, and the management is focused on winning championships, not signing big names for marketability.

I'm liking the Chiefs Chances...

ctchiefsfan
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
There is tampering and there is tampering. There are lots of ways the Chiefs could have limited discussions with Manning's agent without actually putting themselves in a position where they be penalized for tampering.....
Example....Chiefs "happen" to run into Manning's agent and the following conversation takes place...

Chiefs....."There are many forests where a tree could grow and be happy"

Manning's agent...."This is so. Of course the tree would have to find the right forest...a forest that had the things the tree wanted."

Chiefs...."The forest would have to know what the tree needed in order to be happy."

Manning's agent...."A tree would want to know that there would be protection from fierce storms and that there was much fertilizer available."

Chiefs...."Many trees want much fertilizer, but few of them seem able to prove they can provide the growth and prosperity that justify vast amounts of fertilizer."

Manning's agent.......This is true. Many trees are impatient and want all the fertilizer immediately, but there are still some trees that have old fashioned growth ethics and would be happy with receiving fertilizer only in accordance with growth performance."

Chiefs...."I know a forest that is seeking fine trees, will provide good shelter against storms and has much fertilizer available for a tree that seeks only fertilizer that coresponds to the growth it provides. I will speak with them and then we should speak again in the fullness of time."

Manning's agent...."I know a tree that is seeking such a forest and I seem to recall that your forest once provided a good home for a tree such as the one I know. We will speak in the fullness of time."

THERE! No tampering. They were talking about gardening! But both sides have let the other know what they are interested in and have made an agreement to have formal discussions when it is appropriate.

Personally I'd love a reprise of the Montana era, but I'd hate for the Chiefs to be remembered as the place where Manning got crippled or worse.

I guess we will find out "...in the fullness of time."

kcvet
02-24-2012, 11:18 AM
a shoulder or knee injury fine. a neck injury is just to risky.

OPLookn
02-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Exactly which is why I think this is pure speculation. We just stuck it to the Lions last year for tampering so I'm all but sure we wouldn't turn around and do the same. Are there ways to have a discussion yes. But nothing concrete and nothing that should have any radio personality talking seriously about him coming here. This is just cannon fodder for them. Again I'd be shocked and amazed if Manning came here for a variety of reasons.

buffman316
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I would love it if Manning came here. MC is a game manager at best

matthewschiefs
02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I like this news. Just hope that when the Colts cut him they talk to his agent again and do all they can to bring him in as long as they think he is healthy enough to be Peyton Manning.

Eydugstr
02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Personally I'd love a reprise of the Montana era, but I'd hate for the Chiefs to be remembered as the place where Manning got crippled or worse.

My thoughts exactly. Peyton is a great QB and is going to the HOF regardless.

But let's be realistic people...He'd be coming to a team with a mediocre offensive line, an OC that's fresh off the bus from questionable performance in Miami (his main claim to being hired here was his familiarity with this offense, which Matt Cassel knows, but Peyton doesn't) add that with recovering from a neck injury and rumors of lack of arm strength...

When Montana came to KC our offensive line was a lot better. He was coming back to work with an OC that he'd worked with previously. I'd argue that we have better recievers now than we did back then, but it's for nothing if the qb spends most of his day planted in the turf.

whackojacko58
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
There is tampering and there is tampering. There are lots of ways the Chiefs could have limited discussions with Manning's agent without actually putting themselves in a position where they be penalized for tampering.....
Example....Chiefs "happen" to run into Manning's agent and the following conversation takes place...

Chiefs....."There are many forests where a tree could grow and be happy"

Manning's agent...."This is so. Of course the tree would have to find the right forest...a forest that had the things the tree wanted."

Chiefs...."The forest would have to know what the tree needed in order to be happy."

Manning's agent...."A tree would want to know that there would be protection from fierce storms and that there was much fertilizer available."

Chiefs...."Many trees want much fertilizer, but few of them seem able to prove they can provide the growth and prosperity that justify vast amounts of fertilizer."

Manning's agent.......This is true. Many trees are impatient and want all the fertilizer immediately, but there are still some trees that have old fashioned growth ethics and would be happy with receiving fertilizer only in accordance with growth performance."

Chiefs...."I know a forest that is seeking fine trees, will provide good shelter against storms and has much fertilizer available for a tree that seeks only fertilizer that coresponds to the growth it provides. I will speak with them and then we should speak again in the fullness of time."

Manning's agent...."I know a tree that is seeking such a forest and I seem to recall that your forest once provided a good home for a tree such as the one I know. We will speak in the fullness of time."

THERE! No tampering. They were talking about gardening! But both sides have let the other know what they are interested in and have made an agreement to have formal discussions when it is appropriate.

I guess we will find out "...in the fullness of time."

:koolaid: :booyah: :sSig_youtheman:

whackojacko58
02-24-2012, 02:27 PM

But let's be realistic people...He'd be coming to a team with a mediocre offensive line, an OC that's fresh off the bus from questionable performance in Miami (his main claim to being hired here was his familiarity with this offense, which Matt Cassel knows, but Peyton doesn't) add that with recovering from a neck injury and rumors of lack of arm strength...

When Montana came to KC our offensive line was a lot better. He was coming back to work with an OC that he'd worked with previously. I'd argue that we have better recievers now than we did back then, but it's for nothing if the qb spends most of his day planted in the turf.
hey dont crap on our parade lol. Is it not worth a chance to bring in a hof qb? We have the money yes its a risk but the upside far out ways the downside, we have all said we want the chiefs to succeed spend money hunt give us a real shot! this would elavate us if we get the peyton manning even at 80% health.... also do you not think will focus hard core on our oline this offseason? weve got alot of pics plus free agency, we must sign bowe after that sign manning if cleared to play and start training then focus on oline, dt, and then bring in competition as well as back up grooming players

dbolan
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
I think Manning would love to have a very good defense on the other side of the ball

GarH
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
NO NO NO NO!!!! The Peyton before the surgeries would have been fantastic, but not now.

#58ChiefsFan
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Manning is a better OC than Daboll. It would be as tough a sell to let Peyton have the control on his next team as he did in Indy. I still don't believe he won't be in blue next year.

deerhunter2
02-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Payton has always rubbed me the wrong way. He has always appeared to be a stuck-up "a$$" to me, and one of my least liked players. I've been a Chief fan for years, but if they sign him it will ruin the next season for me, because I would be torn between cheering for the Chiefs and hoping to see Payton fail. But that's just me and I'm sure no one would lose any sleep because of my thoughts.

2010chiefs
02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Everything happens for a reason. Us having all that salary cap space at the same time that Peyton hits free agency is a sign to me if he's healthy! At the right price, WHY NOT!

chief31
02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
He is healthy. He has already been released by physicians to play.

Right now the major concern would be about The Colts, and how that is going to work out.

I figure they will have to let him go, though Peyton may make a move to keep his Colts career alive, but that is yet to become clear.

If he does become a free agent, I think we should take the risk with him.

I think Matt Cassel can be a top QB, given the consistency that most elites QBs get. But Peyton Manning IS an elite QB.

We took a similar chance on Joe Montana, and that worked out very well. We took a similar chance on Willie Roaf, which also paid off very well.

I would have some reservations. But they would not be enough to convince me to pass on Peyton Manning.

AussieChiefsFan
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9dxjo.png

bricooper78
02-25-2012, 09:11 PM
where was that survey taken?

Jrudi
02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Crennel has now came out an hopped on the bandwagon to talk about acquiring manning.

Saying he would be crazy not to consider bringing him in if he was available...

Those tight lips at 1 arrowhead drive are starting to loosen up! haha

Crennel: Chiefs must consider Peyton (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/25/crennel-chiefs-would-be-crazy-not-to-consider-manning/?module=HP11_headline_stack)

ctchiefsfan
02-25-2012, 11:50 PM
HOLY SHIP BOYS!!!! Looks like we may be in for a wild-ashed ride in the offseason.....

I get the "feeling" that Hunt/Pioli/Romeo are serious about getting either Manning or Orton.

Next year might be seriously exciting!!!!!!

:chiefs::chiefs::chiefs::chiefs:

TopekaRoy
02-26-2012, 12:02 AM
HOLY SHIP BOYS!!!! Looks like we may be in for a wild-ashed ride in the offseason.....

I get the "feeling" that Hunt/Pioli/Romeo are serious about getting either Manning or Orton.

Sign Manning to an incentive/performance based contract, trade up to get RGIII and resign Orton.

We're all set at quarterback! :punk: :D

ctchiefsfan
02-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Sign Manning to an incentive/performance based contract, trade up to get RGIII and resign Orton.

BE STILL MY HEART!!!!!!

AkChief49
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM

Good Lord!! the Holy Grail! the trifecta. Nice to dream.....sigh. :D
I would still like to see Manning throw (a bunch) first. I'm sure they (Pioli, Crennel) will too, if it happens. Manning even @ 75% would be awesome, provided we do something on the Oline too. which we need to do anyway. The last Saint we picked up was pretty good.....

I'm still a little leery of Mannings condition. On the other hand Montana had issues(Chief 31 mentioned it earlier-back surgery) so there's that. The thoughts of a healthy Manning and our receiving corp has me edging close to nervana.:D(it's spelled nirvana,but it's punnier this way)

AussieChiefsFan
02-26-2012, 01:54 AM

:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs:

ctchiefsfan
02-26-2012, 02:04 AM
It WOULD be FUN, wouldn't it!!!!

AussieChiefsFan
02-26-2012, 02:06 AM
It WOULD be FUN, wouldn't it!!!!

Very! Cant wait to see how everything plays out this offseason!!

texaschief
02-26-2012, 02:14 AM
He is healthy. He has already been released by physicians to play.

Right now the major concern would be about The Colts, and how that is going to work out.

I figure they will have to let him go, though Peyton may make a move to keep his Colts career alive, but that is yet to become clear.

If he does become a free agent, I think we should take the risk with him.

I think Matt Cassel can be a top QB, given the consistency that most elites QBs get. But Peyton Manning IS an elite QB.

We took a similar chance on Joe Montana, and that worked out very well. We took a similar chance on Willie Roaf, which also paid off very well.

I would have some reservations. But they would not be enough to convince me to pass on Peyton Manning.

DITTO. Great minds and all that.

I keep hearing static about a "noodle arm,""neck surgery," blah blah blah. This is Peyton freaking MANNING!! It's not like we'd be parking a new Corvette for a beat up Ferrari. Currently, we've got a grimlin in the garage. Hell, even if it were just the hood ornament off the Ferrari, it's STILL better than the grimlin. lol

Like I've said before, Kansas City is the absolute BEST place for Manning to end up. Arizona (Kolb), Seattle, Washington, Miami, etc... none of them have the team the Chiefs do. The Chiefs are an elite QB away from being serious contenders and Peyton Manning presents the best option available to attain one. The Chiefs have the upside, cap space, and open opportunity that no other team can offer. People need to stop asking "where will Peyton go?" and need to start asking "what team can offer a better situation than the Chiefs?"

Jrudi
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
This of course will send excitement through the arrowhead kingdom if he comes here. (as I will be giddy as well)

The one thing that I won't like, is that the Chiefs have been an under the radar team here recently, since our bout of 2-14 and 4-12 seasons, no one seems to give us much of a chance/ much attention. We are never on ESPN as one of the teams lying in the weeds ready for a playoff run (which I feel we are)

but this persona has helped the Chiefs. We had this "no one respects us" attitude, and it gave us an edge. If Manning comes here, we will see the most media coverage of the Chiefs we have seen in 20 years. Will be nice to get some love, but I hope we still play with that Chip on our shoulder.

TopekaRoy
02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
A lot of people are saying that, even at 75 or 80%, Manning would be a great QB. I don't agree. If Manute Boll runs a 100 meter dash at 80% speed, he comes in last place instead of first. For Manning to be effective, he has to be able to zip those passes in there before the defense has a chance to react. If he has a "noodle arm," he loses much of that effectiveness. Take away the threat of the deep pass, as well, and it hurts your run game and makes it easier for teams to defend the short passes.

But even if he recovers 100%, I'm not fully convinced that signing him would be a good idea.

Everyone talks about what Peyton could do with this offense, but no one is talking about how this offense would do with Peyton. His offense is very complicated, uses a lot of audibles and requires players to improvise and adjust on the fly. If everybody is not on the same page, the play breaks down.

Peyton was very effective in Indy because he had continuity over time and was only replacing a couple of players each year. Most of the offense knew what to do in any given situation. He also had the right players to make it work.

I think having an entire offense try to learn his system (with the possible exception of Lilja) would take most of a season and we don't know if some of our players would ever learn it. By the time the Chiefs did get it down, they would be out of the playoff hunt.

Add to this the increased risk of re-injury and an offense that has to keep switching back and forth between Manning and Cassel (two very different QBs) and you could be creating more problems than you solve.

Even if he's healthy. Manning doesn't have a lot of years left, and you are doing nothing to address your long term needs at quarterback.

And last, even with an incentive heavy contract, the Chiefs still can't spend any of of those potential performance based bonuses on other players. His maximum potential salary would be counted against the cap.

He is too old, the cost is too high, the potential risk is too high and the potential reward is too low. I think people who want him here just assume he means and automatic Super Bowl, this year, and are not thinking about the future of the team.

If we have to go after a stud QB, I would much rather we do it through the draft. There are a couple of really good QBs out there besides Luck and Griffin. They won't cost a small fortune on their rookie contract and can help out the team for many years to come.

texaschief
02-27-2012, 03:36 PM
A lot of people are saying that, even at 75 or 80%, Manning would be a great QB. I don't agree. If Manute Boll runs a 100 meter dash at 80% speed, he comes in last place instead of first. For Manning to be effective, he has to be able to zip those passes in there before the defense has a chance to react. If he has a "noodle arm," he loses much of that effectiveness. Take away the threat of the deep pass, as well, and it hurts your run game and makes it easier for teams to defend the short passes.

But even if he recovers 100%, I'm not fully convinced that signing him would be a good idea.

Everyone talks about what Peyton could do with this offense, but no one is talking about how this offense would do with Peyton. His offense is very complicated, uses a lot of audibles and requires players to improvise and adjust on the fly. If everybody is not on the same page, the play breaks down.

Peyton was very effective in Indy because he had continuity over time and was only replacing a couple of players each year. Most of the offense knew what to do in any given situation. He also had the right players to make it work.

I think having an entire offense try to learn his system (with the possible exception of Lilja) would take most of a season and we don't know if some of our players would ever learn it. By the time the Chiefs did get it down, they would be out of the playoff hunt.

Add to this the increased risk of re-injury and an offense that has to keep switching back and forth between Manning and Cassel (two very different QBs) and you could be creating more problems than you solve.

Even if he's healthy. Manning doesn't have a lot of years left, and you are doing nothing to address your long term needs at quarterback.

And last, even with an incentive heavy contract, the Chiefs still can't spend any of of those potential performance based bonuses on other players. His maximum potential salary would be counted against the cap.

He is too old, the cost is too high, the potential risk is too high and the potential reward is too low. I think people who want him here just assume he means and automatic Super Bowl, this year, and are not thinking about the future of the team.

If we have to go after a stud QB, I would much rather we do it through the draft. There are a couple of really good QBs out there besides Luck and Griffin. They won't cost a small fortune on their rookie contract and can help out the team for many years to come.

LMFAO!!! I just got the funniest image of "Manute Boll" running a 100-meter dash!!! OH MY GOD!!! THAT WAS FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!!! While I'm sure you meant Hussein Bolt, you DID say Manute Boll (Manute Bol)... a 7'7" center who played in the NBA and looked like the alien who first stepped off the ship in "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind." If Manute Bol had run a 100-meter dash, he probably wouldn't have just lost... he probably would've died. LMAO!!!

Wow... that was funny.

I think all the reports on Manning's "short comings" need to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment. If he gets released, he'll be a free agent. Given his recent health issues, he's not going to command a HUGE price tag. There isn't a whole ton of risk in signing Manning to compete with Cassel. At the very worse, you have one of the most expensive backup QBs in the league... which doesn't kill a team with the kind of cap space the Chiefs have.

OPLookn
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
LMFAO!!! I just got the funniest image of "Manute Boll" running a 100-meter dash!!! OH MY GOD!!! THAT WAS FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!!! While I'm sure you meant Hussein Bolt, you DID say Manute Boll (Manute Bol)... a 7'7" center who played in the NBA and looked like the alien who first stepped off the ship in "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind." If Manute Bol had run a 100-meter dash, he probably wouldn't have just lost... he probably would've died. LMAO!!!

Wow... that was funny.

I think all the reports on Manning's "short comings" need to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment. If he gets released, he'll be a free agent. Given his recent health issues, he's not going to command a HUGE price tag. There isn't a whole ton of risk in signing Manning to compete with Cassel. At the very worse, you have one of the most expensive backup QBs in the league... which doesn't kill a team with the kind of cap space the Chiefs have.

Third times the charm, you must be thinking of Usain Bolt's...Hussein must be the second cousin from overseas. However thinking about Manute taking 6 steps and having completed a 100 meter dash in that time is awesome. lol

Regardless of mistake in people his analogy is sound. No one really seems to have the whole picture behind where Manning is in terms of 0 to 100%. For every report that says he's at 85 or 90% I can find one that says he's at 40%. I've also been hearing rumblings that Manning's agent is wanting guaranteed's not just incentives. Until a decision is made though it's all just speculation.

I'm going to have to agree with Topeka and say that overall going after Manning doesn't seem like that great of an idea, even with the cap space we have. If it's about spending the cap space go out and sign up Carr. It's been said even by the people that don't like Cassel that if you put a great team around him he'll take you to the playoffs. He already has and with a phenomenal team around him my guess is we'd go deep.

As for speaking to Manning's agent unless the Chiefs have gone dumb I'd be highly suspect of this or any story like this. To me reporters talking about the Chiefs talking to Manning's agent and trying to drum up tampering charges against Crennel is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

TopekaRoy
02-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Wow... that was funny.Whoops! Yeah, I did mean Usain "lightning" Bolt. I don't know what I was thinking. But if Manute was only 80% of his height ... :lol:

I just politely and respectfully disagree. Even if he agrees to, say, $10 million guaranteed and a max (with performance incentives) of $10 million per year, that's still $13.33 million a year for a 3 year contract. That $62 million cap space is already shrinking fast and we still have a lot of FAs to sign this year and a couple to keep next year.

I still think we would be better off with a young, cheap, healthy Tannehill or Weeden (for example) than an old, expensive, banged-up Manning who runs an offense that is totally different from what our personnel is built for. But it's just one man's opinion.

Jrudi
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I still think we would be better off with a young, cheap, healthy Tannehill or Weeden (for example) than an old, expensive, banged-up Manning who runs an offense that is totally different from what our personnel is built for. But it's just one man's opinion.

sorry Just another thing that made me laugh...

A Young Weeden? I think that guy's going to be 29 before the season starts haha.

Just saying, he would be cheap, but I don't think he would be a long term answer, he will probably be out of the league the same time manning will be haha

sorry I just had to.

TopekaRoy
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
sorry Just another thing that made me laugh...

A Young Weeden? I think that guy's going to be 29 before the season starts haha.

Just saying, he would be cheap, but I don't think he would be a long term answer, he will probably be out of the league the same time manning will be haha

sorry I just had to.

Yeah, Weeden's older, but he hasn't been getting hit by NFL linebackers for the last 10 years, either, so if he's good enough to play in the NFL (no guarantee) then I think he could play until 35-38, so that would give us 6-9 years.

I also see that Tannehill is hurt, but I don't know how serious it is ...

Those two were just "for example" anyway. Every choice has it's positives and negatives.

texaschief
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I watched A&M this year... Tannehill was a WR a season and a half ago. I'm not impressed with him as a QB. He'll be another David Carr at best. Weeden is a system QB... and relatively old. No thanks.

jap1
02-27-2012, 07:10 PM
My biggest hesitation with Manning would be that we would be lucky to have him for more than 2-3 yrs. I would like to build a dynasty. We have the youth and talent that with one more good offseason (and no career/season ending injuries) we will have an all around team that is young and will be here for awhile. In about a year, I dont think we will have any major holes on the team, and we could truly draft for depth and best player available, instead of saying we REALLY need an OT, guard, NT ... etc ... etc ... etc

To get Manning this year, he wouldnt be as effective since he isnt as familiar with the team. My evidence is that Manning's worst seasons were when he had to sit out the offseason because of knee issues, it took him 3-4 weeks to get the offense going once he returned because he didnt have his timing down with the receivers. Financially I think it would set us back a bit, because we wouldnt be able to reward our own draft picks with good competitive picks over the next 2-3 yrs. Also, our offense would probably have to change in 2-3 yrs with a new QB. Not many QBs can run his offense because of his ability to read defenses. Also, if we get Manning, I wouldnt be surprised if we lost Cassel. Which means we better hope that we drafted someone young in the 2nd round or that Stanzi ends up being everything we are hoping for in 2-3 yrs.

If I were Cassel I wouldnt want to play for us anymore.

deerhunter2
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm so happy to hear from some people that have some common sense about Manning. He was a great qb, (just ask him, he will tell you). But he is old and damaged, not what you build a great team with. He would come in here and do a fair job for 1 or 2 years, and then cry and blame his fairness on all the other players and coaches. Because he would still be great in his mind. I don't want fair for a couple of years or even almost great for 1 year, I hope for excellence over the next 7 to 10 years.

Bike
02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
My biggest hesitation with Manning would be that we would be lucky to have him for more than 2-3 yrs. I would like to build a dynasty. We have the youth and talent that with one more good offseason (and no career/season ending injuries) we will have an all around team that is young and will be here for awhile. In about a year, I dont think we will have any major holes on the team, and we could truly draft for depth and best player available, instead of saying we REALLY need an OT, guard, NT ... etc ... etc ... etc

To get Manning this year, he wouldnt be as effective since he isnt as familiar with the team. My evidence is that Manning's worst seasons were when he had to sit out the offseason because of knee issues, it took him 3-4 weeks to get the offense going once he returned because he didnt have his timing down with the receivers. Financially I think it would set us back a bit, because we wouldnt be able to reward our own draft picks with good competitive picks over the next 2-3 yrs. Also, our offense would probably have to change in 2-3 yrs with a new QB. Not many QBs can run his offense because of his ability to read defenses. Also, if we get Manning, I wouldnt be surprised if we lost Cassel. Which means we better hope that we drafted someone young in the 2nd round or that Stanzi ends up being everything we are hoping for in 2-3 yrs.

In 99, Manning turned a 3-13 team into a 13-3 team. Since then:
13-3
13-3
6-10
10-6
12-4
12-4
14-2
9-7
13-3
12-4
14-2
10-6
Didn't play in 2011 of course.
Keep in mind these teams didn't win games with defense. Manning was the reason this team won games. There is no doubt in my mind he can do the same thing here - if healthy. A good three years with Manning winning games and tutoring a young QB doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me.
There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL - Cassel being one of them. Cassel should feel fortunate that he holds one of these prestigious positions - considering he would be a backup on any other NFL team.

Chiefs fanatic
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I think with a healthy Peyton Manning we are instant super bowl contenders next year. We have more talent on our team then Manning had at Indy so I think he would do well here.

jason1981
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
manning onky would be here max two more years unless we drafted a qb he coukd groom than no thanks.

Jrudi
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
13-3
13-3
6-10
10-6
12-4
12-4
14-2
9-7
13-3
12-4
14-2
10-6
Keep in mind these teams didn't win games with defense. Manning was the reason this team won games. There is no doubt in my mind he can do the same thing here - if healthy. A good three years with Manning winning games and tutoring a young QB doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me.
There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL - Cassel being one of them. Cassel should feel fortunate that he holds one of these prestigious positions - considering he would be a backup on any other NFL team.

This!

Ok, I like Cassel and I think he should be our starter next season....unless...we get Manning.

Thing is, I would much rather Stanzi or another young QB learn from Manning than Cassel. Like I said I like Cassel, but as they say, this is a business, and win's pay the bills. I'm not saying Manning will guarantee us a super bowl year 1 (we aren't the Jets here) BUT he will definitely make us a more competitive team.

If we keep Cassel here I will be happy, and hope he does well, but Chiefs Nation will continue to criticize him for the next 2 years of his contract, and we might continually sneak into the playoffs. Or we could answer one of the biggest needs on this team that we can't fill through the draft in one year..Add an Elite QB.

let's say manning can play for 3 more seasons. That's all we need. Plenty of time to groom Stanzi, or take a QB in round 1 of next years draft, and groom him for 2 seasons like Green Bay did with Rodgers.

Doesn't sound like that bad of a situation to me...

AussieChiefsFan
02-28-2012, 12:17 AM
13-3
13-3
6-10
10-6
12-4
12-4
14-2
9-7
13-3
12-4
14-2
10-6

:bananen_smilies046: :chiefs:

texaschief
02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Stanzi grades almost IDENTICALLY to Tom Brady coming out of college in almost EVERY category. I wouldn't mind Stanzi learning from Manning for a couple years before taking the reins. Stanzi has some VERY REAL potential and I think the Chiefs see the same thing. He's just not ready yet and having Manning here to groom him would be a boon for the Chiefs' future.

Check this out on Stanzi:
http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/Content/NFL-Draft_2011_Stanzi_2-23-2011.htm

Ignoring football metrics would be the same as telling Billy Beane he's crazy. At some point, football metrics is going to be just as mainstream in the NFL as they are in baseball. Stanzi IS the real deal... just needs to be groomed. Can you imagine if Tom Brady were able to be groomed by Peyton Manning instead of Drew Bledsoe??

AussieChiefsFan
02-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Stanzi grades almost IDENTICALLY to Tom Brady coming out of college in almost EVERY category. I wouldn't mind Stanzi learning from Manning for a couple years before taking the reins. Stanzi has some VERY REAL potential and I think the Chiefs see the same thing. He's just not ready yet and having Manning here to groom him would be a boon for the Chiefs' future.

Check this out on Stanzi:
http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/Content/NFL-Draft_2011_Stanzi_2-23-2011.htm

Ignoring football metrics would be the same as telling Billy Beane he's crazy. At some point, football metrics is going to be just as mainstream in the NFL as they are in baseball. Stanzi IS the real deal... just needs to be groomed. Can you imagine if Tom Brady were able to be groomed by Peyton Manning instead of Drew Bledsoe??

This would be a great scenario! Bring in Manning, close to/win a SB, Stanzi takes over and turns out to a be a franchise QB!

texaschief
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I mean, Brett Favre wasn't at his peak when the Packers decided to take Rogers in the first round. That was BEFORE the rookie wage scale. So, they were paying Favre ELITE QB money AND a first round QB FIRST ROUND money. If the Pack could do that with less cap room, there's no reason why the Chiefs couldn't do it with Manning. The Chiefs don't have a first round QB to pay, but they DO still have Cassel on the roster, which would equate to the same thing. Manning your present, Cassel the backup (where he SHOULD be) and Stanzi your future.

I saw this mentioned before and I like the idea:

Bring Manning in to fill two separate roles. Bring him in as your QB, but offer him a co-offensive coordinator position with the team. If it turns out that his neck/shoulder can't keep going, at least you still have him under contract to stay on and groom Stanzi and help install his style of offense. Manning, Brady, Cassel, and Stanzi are all the same type of QB... they're pocket passers. Pre-snap reads, audibles, etc are how these guys are successful. Install the Manning offense and let these pocket QBs go at it, whether it be Manning, Cassel, Stanzi, or whoever. It's obvious the type of QB this front office is looking for... and it's not RG3.

texaschief
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd say the chances of us landing Manning are 55/45 with us having the lead over Miami. The Dolphins have similar talent and cap space to the Chiefs and present a similar 3 year projection. It's probably going to come down to where Manning feels he's better protected and which system/administration he feels more comfortable with. The big upside in Miami (other than living in Florida) is that he has Jake Long on his blind side. Albert is no slouch, but if his main concern is his LT, Miami gets the nod.

It's either us or the Fins, IMO.

jap1
02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Those who want manning to tutor other QBs, should realize that he does not have a history of working well with the backup QBs. He usually takes more than 90% of the snaps (normal is 60-70%). which doesn't leave many other people on the roster from doing anything but watching.

texaschief
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Neither did Favre...

OPLookn
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Neither did Favre...

What was the purpose of that comment? I'm not trying to be a d!ck about it I'm just trying to figure out what you mean. Most of the greats never moved to coaching and if they did they didn't amount to anywhere near the level they were when playing. They want to start as a QB and that's about it. Trying to say that Manning has the added benefit of being a mentor wouldn't really happen. Again, that's just my opinion.

SBV_Eagle_Bull
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
GO CHIEFS:chiefs:

jap1
02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Neither did Favre...

If that was in reference to my comment, I would argue that it wasnt Favre that Rodgers was learning from, but the QB coaches that Green Bay seems to be a factory for. Obviously, there is no way to tell which was the bigger factor, but that is just my opinion. If Manning himself was such a great mentor, then I would think that the QBs in Indy would be a little better than what they showed this year.

chief31
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Manut Bol.....

That was just hilarious!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

texaschief
02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
If that was in reference to my comment, I would argue that it wasnt Favre that Rodgers was learning from, but the QB coaches that Green Bay seems to be a factory for. Obviously, there is no way to tell which was the bigger factor, but that is just my opinion. If Manning himself was such a great mentor, then I would think that the QBs in Indy would be a little better than what they showed this year.

Manning wasn't working with someone who graded out like Tom Brady... nor was their QB a first round pick like Rogers. Manning will have enough to play AT LEAST 3 more years and that should be plenty of time for Stanzi to develop the way Rogers did. Again, Manning has stated that he's willing to sign and incentives laden deal. If that's the case, there's very little downside to giving Manning a decent contract. Either he earns the money and we win a ton of games, or he doesn't and we save a bunch of money while still grooming Stanzi. Either way, I'm good with the outcome.

AussieChiefsFan
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Manning wasn't working with someone who graded out like Tom Brady... nor was their QB a first round pick like Rogers. Manning will have enough to play AT LEAST 3 more years and that should be plenty of time for Stanzi to develop the way Rogers did. Again, Manning has stated that he's willing to sign and incentives laden deal. If that's the case, there's very little downside to giving Manning a decent contract. Either he earns the money and we win a ton of games, or he doesn't and we save a bunch of money while still grooming Stanzi. Either way, I'm good with the outcome.

Exactly!:bananen_smilies046: