PDA

View Full Version : Chances of RG3 ending up with KC

AussieChiefsFan
02-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Yep another poll. What do you think the chance is that KC will trade up to get RG3?

70 chiefsfan70
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
I voted "unlikely" because in order to get him we would have to give up:

A: Our first 2 draft picks this year and probably the first next year.

This is sacrificing more then we can afford, our OL is in dire need of at least 2 new starters and depth.We need a starting TE, a RB that has the ability to start and carry the load even if JC comes back fully healthy. We need a monster NT(but could win games without), if we don't sign Carr we need to draft a CB, one that is real and legit. The list could be much longer if we include depth that we need.

B: We trade a player of great value, say like Dorsey, or possible signing Bowe and trading him, plus our first two draft picks and a second round pick for next year.

This would create another need and would result in less draft picks. This makes no sense considering the needs we have, especially in the OL needs we have. RG3 would require 18 to 20 mil a year, and would cripple our FA options say, like Nicks, or big name RB.

As much as RG3 may help us long run, we would suffer severly over the next 2 or 3 years, and it may even ruin the young qb.

matthewschiefs
02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I think there is a much better chance that we see Peyton in Kc then RGIII Peyton would just be a free agent signing that's easier to get done then a trade up in the draft to as high as it would require to get RGIII

N TX Dave
02-26-2012, 07:52 PM
As the old saying goes a snowballs chance in a hot place.

kckidd8870
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
It is very unlikely that the chiefs get RG3,but if they did,it would be a track meet at 1 arrowhead drive.He also has a rocket for an arm.I don't think pioli will give up ,as much as wanted toget him.I think this kid is gonna be special.You think Cam Newton ,did good in his first year,RG3 will probably do ,just as good.If not better.

Jrudi
02-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Would love this kid, but I don't think it's going to happen (unless he falls far, like down to pick 11 haha) If he's there I think they would be cleaning their seats because they would have just sH*T themselves in the draft room.

I also think they aren't done with the idea of Stanzi possibly becoming the QB of the future. We thought he was an afterthought when he didn't get a chance after Cassel went down, but Pioli recently came out and spoke highly of him, and talked about how happy they are with how he has came along, and feels he could be a good starter in the league with time.

Then the idea of bringing in Manning...

I think we will either see this:

Manning comes in for 3-4 years Cassel becomes the backup, and eventually leaves, and Stanzi is the successor

or

Cassel is the starter next year, he will have 1 more year left on his deal after this season and will be 32 when he is scheduled to hit Free agency again..If he does well next season they keep him on for his final year and evaluate. If he does "OK" they look to trade him the final year of his deal to a QB needy team, and promote Stanzi to the starter in 2 seasons.

Oh yeah then there's the idea that Orton get's tossed in the mix... haha if I say more it will just get complicated

dbolan
02-27-2012, 07:52 AM
If the Chiefs took him (somehow) I think it would be one of the worst decisions they have ever made because I think RG3 is another Vince Young/Mike Vick and that has not panned out very well.

josh1971
02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
If the Chiefs took him (somehow) I think it would be one of the worst decisions they have ever made because I think RG3 is another Vince Young/Mike Vick and that has not panned out very well.

This for me as well.

Bike
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I disagree. RG3 is a very intelligent and articulate person - graduating with a 3.67 GPA AND a Heisman trophy. He will be an asset wherever he lands (Cleveland) IMHO.

AussieChiefsFan
02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
I disagree. RG3 is a very intelligent and articulate person - graduating with a 3.67 GPA AND a Heisman trophy. He will be an asset wherever he lands (Cleveland) IMHO.

^^^This

This for me as well.

pojote
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
I believe in every good comment on RG3, but I still can't think a boy without proper throwing mechanics can achieve at top level.
Feet, have you seen his feet when he is throwing? This NFL is all about passing, not (Tebow!!!) running QB's.

AussieChiefsFan
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I believe in every good comment on RG3, but I still can't think a boy without proper throwing mechanics can achieve at top level.
Feet, have you seen his feet when he is throwing? This NFL is all about passing, not (Tebow!!!) running QB's.

He is an amazing thrower as well as a runner. (Also, as for his speed, he's not just fast, he's the fastest QB in the past 25 years)

pojote
02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
He is an amazing thrower as well as a runner. (Also, as for his speed, he's not just fast, he's the fastest QB in the past 25 years)

Again, had you seen his feet? NFL is quite different from college.

Jrudi
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM

The misconception of Griffin is that he is a running QB...He is not a Micheal Vick or Tim Tebow.

He is much better at staying in the pocket and only running if the play breaks down. Vick and Tebow would look at their first progression and if it wasn't there, panic and take off and run.

pojote
02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
The misconception of Griffin is that he is a running QB...He is not a Micheal Vick or Tim Tebow.

He is much better at staying in the pocket and only running if the play breaks down. Vick and Tebow would look at their first progression and if it wasn't there, panic and take off and run.
I don't say he is like Tebow or Vick, just that his running skills aren't a real factor to consider. He never has played against an NFL defense (no college QB has), so what should be watch on him? Progressions, throwing mechanics, pocket awareness, strength, accuracy. On all of that, he is good, but I don't get impressed. If you take out his running abilities, he is just a very good college QB, not the man who can lead us to a superbowl.
If I had to chose between RG3 and Cam Newton, I would get Newton for his mechanics.

okikcfan
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't say he is like Tebow or Vick, just that his running skills aren't a real factor to consider. He never has played against an NFL defense (no college QB has), so what should be watch on him? Progressions, throwing mechanics, pocket awareness, strength, accuracy. On all of that, he is good, but I don't get impressed. If you take out his running abilities, he is just a very good college QB, not the man who can lead us to a superbowl.
If I had to chose between RG3 and Cam Newton, I would get Newton for his mechanics.

Over the years we have seen QB's come and go, we have seen QB's that were projected to be top of the line in the NFL and ones they said would be a work in progress. Fact of the matter is no one really knows until that time comes when they are put to the test. I find it hard for anyone to say who will or will not be a good or great NFL QB with out that person being given the chance. If you pass on the chance you may end up regretting it....

pojote
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Over the years we have seen QB's come and go, we have seen QB's that were projected to be top of the line in the NFL and ones they said would be a work in progress. Fact of the matter is no one really knows until that time comes when they are put to the test. I find it hard for anyone to say who will or will not be a good or great NFL QB with out that person being given the chance. If you pass on the chance you may end up regretting it....

You nailed on that one. RG3 can be an elite QB, but no one knows for sure, so, is it worth to do all that you can to get him?

SBV_Eagle_Bull
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
i like stanzi more than RG3..... go CHIEFS

okikcfan
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
You nailed on that one. RG3 can be an elite QB, but no one knows for sure, so, is it worth to do all that you can to get him?

I think that really depends on what you a really willing to give up to get him. If he turns out to be an elite QB then yes, it was all worth it. I for one do not think Cassel or Orton can take us over the top, I am not a hater of either but we all realize it will take a good or great QB to reach our over all goal. Is next years QB class going to be better than this years, I for one don't think so, So with that in mind, do we take a chance and risk it or do we just stick with other teams left overs?

whackojacko58
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
st louis is going to shop the pick early so they know where there siting in the draft and build there board from there, i find it interesting rg3 brought up talking to us, personally id be fine with a first second and first next year, weve never had a franchise qb he would be electric plus smart, and yes we need oline but were solid everywhere else just need to create back up which we can do in free agency and with all our other picks.

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
st louis is going to shop the pick early so they know where there siting in the draft and build there board from there, i find it interesting rg3 brought up talking to us, personally id be fine with a first second and first next year, weve never had a franchise qb he would be electric plus smart, and yes we need oline but were solid everywhere else just need to create back up which we can do in free agency and with all our other picks.

I do like the idea of going after Griffin better than the idea of going after Manning, but there are other teams who will be able to offer higher draft picks than we can. I think we would have to throw in one of our really good players to sweeten the deal and that might just be too much to give up for him. We are a lot closer to competing for a deep play-off run than Cleveland and Washington are. How much would this set us back?

OPLookn
03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
I do like the idea of going after Griffin better than the idea of going after Manning, but there are other teams who will be able to offer higher draft picks than we can. I think we would have to throw in one of our really good players to sweeten the deal and that might just be too much to give up for him. We are a lot closer to competing for a deep play-off run than Cleveland and Washington are. How much would this set us back?

Exactly. We'd probably have to give up our 1st, next years 1st, Dorsey or someone comparable and maybe even next years 2nd. Is that paying out the nose, absolutely! But other teams are bidding too and STL is just going to take the highest bid. It's another reason why I like the guy, wish we could get him but the cost is too steep. I would call it a Phyrric victory.

TecmoNightmare
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm just going to offer my opinion on RGIII.

I don't think he's going to be the real deal.

Right now they are comparing him to Cam Newton, but I don't see how that's possible. They may look alike, but I got a heavy dose of watching Cam Newton in 2010 (most Auburn games are televised down here along with Alabama, since that's our states two teams) and I can tell you, he was the real deal, and RGIII is not.

I don't watch a whole lot of teams outside the SEC, but I thought he was overrated as hell. They didn't even finish in the top 10 rankings, and he got all those big stats blowing out crappy teams, where Newton was pitted against some of the best teams in the country and managed to beat them.

Newton beat Alabama (defending Champions that year) after their defense had shut him out the first half, he also beat LSU who was pretty good for 2010, and he beat South Carolina (second best team in the SEC that year) and he played a lot tougher defenses than Griffin.

I don't believe Griffin played a single top 10 defense all year, and when they were pitted against better teams, they got blown out. They let Texas A&M blow them out by 55 points, and A&M wasn't even a winning team, and then Oklahoma State had a field day of scoring against them.

Everyone said Cam Newton was going to be a bust last year because he emerged out of no where, but he proved everyone wrong and I had a feeling he would do it, because in Auburn he was proving everyone wrong when he was beating top ranked teams all year.

Griffin may have won the Heisman but I am not sold on him. I hope the Chiefs don't waste anything trying to get him, I'd go with Orton before I go with him.

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm just going to offer my opinion on RGIII.

...<snip>...

I don't believe Griffin played a single top 10 defense all year, and when they were pitted against better teams, they got blown out. They let Texas A&M blow them out by 55 points, and A&M wasn't even a winning team, and then Oklahoma State had a field day of scoring against them.

...<snip>...

Griffin may have won the Heisman but I am not sold on him. I hope the Chiefs don't waste anything trying to get him, I'd go with Orton before I go with him.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

They lost to #3 Oklahoma State, beat #5 Oklahoma and #14 TCU, lost to #21 Texas A&M (who went 7-6; 5 of their 6 losses were to top 25 ranked teams) and beat #22 Texas. They went 10-3, including their Alamo Bowl win.

The only unranked (at the time) team they lost to was Kansas State (at K-State) who finished the season ranked 15th, just 2 spots below them. I'm a huge Wildcats fan and I watched that game, of course. The only reason Baylor lost was because the 'Cats wore down their defense in the 4th quarter and they couldn't stop the run.

Still Griffin completed 23/31 passes for 346 yards, 5 TDs and only 1 INT. Not too shabby! His ability to run the ball was a non-factor against K-State's stout run defense (12 carries for 6 yds). That does lead me to question how well he would scramble against NFL caliber defenses, but there is no question that his passing skills are excellent.

I do agree that the comparisons to Newton are unwarranted and not really fair. He is much smaller than Newton (6'2" 220 vs 6'5" 255) which leads to concerns about his durability.

But RGIII is a good pocket passer already, while Newton didn't really show that ability until he got into the pros. He can run with the ball when he has to, but he will go through his progressions first. He's different from Michael Vick and Vince Young in that regard, as well.

I think he is better than you give him credit for, but maybe he won't be as good as Newton. We will really have to wait until this fall to find out.

Oh, and welcome to ChiefsCrowd.com. I see you are already posting a lot. That's great. Stay active. :smile