PDA

View Full Version : i have a question? is crennel tampering and will we get in troubl

jason1981
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
i just read where crennal also said we might be interested in qb henne if he became available. i might be wrong but isnt this how we got lions into trouble. a reporter asked gunther about our player and he said he bebinterested or somethiny.like that. hats the difference between gunther and crennal talking anout players on other teams. i woukd think pii woumd have told crennal by now not to answer them snd say no comment. im just nervous thay we coukd get into trouble. why risk it. csnt he just say no comment. m going to be mad if we get into trouble juwt cuz crennal csnt keep his mouth closed about other teams players. i know he juwt being honest bit as an army brat he shoukd know how to follow rules.

tornadospotter
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Only if he is caught, so hush!!!!:whipping1:

jason1981
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
lol but seriously is he really tampering or not. if i was the lions i woukd be cslling the league right now and ratting on us. we have done it twice now. manning and henne. i hate hypocrites. im just suprised were not in trouble yet.

Canada
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes it is tampering but Indy has already said they will not pursue it.

Canada
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
NFL.com news: Report: Colts likely won't take action against Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8274140a/article/report-colts-likely-wont-take-action-against-chiefs?module=HP11_headline_stack)

TopekaRoy
02-27-2012, 11:57 PM
I haven't seen the exact quote for what Crennel said about Henne. Does anyone have a link?

As far as Manning goes, Crennel chose his words very carefully. He said, "I'm not supposed to talk about anybody else's players, and he's still a player with Indianapolis, but with a talent like that, I would be crazy not to consider it if he were available. I'll leave it at that."

He said nothing specifically about Manning. He was talking about any player who might have a similar skill set. And he never said he, personally, would or would not sign such a player; only that he would be crazy not to consider it.

I think he is safe with his Manning quote. I would have to see what he said about Henne before I can comment on that.

TopekaRoy
02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Alright, I found the Henne quote and that one is a little more troublesome. Asked specifically if he would be interested in signing Henne, Crennel said, "Because of his relationship with Daboll, I think that would be a consideration but to say right now that's the case, I'm not ready to do that." (source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/chiefs-crennel-could-get-clipped-for-manning-henne-comments-at-combine?urn=nfl,wp19508))

Again, he is speaking hypothetically and he didn't say the Chiefs would consider him, but he did say that Henne's relationship with Daboll would be a consideration.

That one will be a little harder to weasel his way out of.

Chief Concerns
02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
When the Lions were charged with tampering, the main problem was that they had made contact with a Chiefs player who was under contact, either directly or through his agent. There was no interest from the league for following through with the charges at first until that came to light. I don't see any tampering charges being filed for Crenell speaking in mere hypotheticals

:kc:

TopekaRoy
02-28-2012, 02:08 AM
When the Lions were charged with tampering, the main problem was that they had made contact with a Chiefs player who was under contact, either directly or through his agent. There was no interest from the league for following through with the charges at first until that came to light. I don't see any tampering charges being filed for Crenell speaking in mere hypotheticals

:kc:

I hope you are right. The rule says
Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy.

It would appear that his comments about Henne would fall in this category, but I think the Dolphins would have to file a complaint before action would be taken and I don't think they will do that.

Crennel did say "Right now.. I'm not ready to do that." Does that give him enough wiggle room to skirt the rule? If you say there is a possibility of having an interest in a player in the future, is that the same as expressing an interest in him? I'm not sure.

OPLookn
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I hope you are right. The rule says

It would appear that his comments about Henne would fall in this category, but I think the Dolphins would have to file a complaint before action would be taken and I don't think they will do that.

Crennel did say "Right now.. I'm not ready to do that." Does that give him enough wiggle room to skirt the rule? If you say there is a possibility of having an interest in a player in the future, is that the same as expressing an interest in him? I'm not sure.

Crennel really just needs to shut his trap. The Manning comment you can skirt around and he wasn't saying anything that most of the other NFL teams aren't thinking already. The Henne comment...if I'm Pioli I tell him to shut his pie hole until free agency. Seriously, stop talking about other players. Just say he's under contract with another team and I can't say anything more about it til free agency begins!

jason1981
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
oplookn. i agree with you 120%. thats exactly what i think . he needs to shut his pie hole and just say we csnt talk about other players under contract for other teams. hes an army bat sk he shoukd know how to follow protocal and the rules. if i was pioli i was fine crennal if he could. also i woukd kick out any reporters that ask those questions cuz they know the rules as well.

jason1981
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
also if u read that link to the colts wont persure it. it says the lions got in trouble for the same thing basicslly but it also says the league dont have to recieve a reguest to look Into it they can just fine withouht a complaint from a team.

OPLookn
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
also if u read that link to the colts wont persure it. it says the lions got in trouble for the same thing basicslly but it also says the league dont have to recieve a reguest to look Into it they can just fine withouht a complaint from a team.

From what I've read it wasn't any comments that got Detroit into trouble. It was Page's brother/agent saying that he'd been talking to Detroit about contract details and that the Lions were interested in Page. I'm pretty sure that's what kicked everything off.

jason1981
02-28-2012, 12:48 PM
oh ok. i never heard about the agent thing. still i dont think crennal shoukd be playing with fire.

bricooper78
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I didn't realize they can't say a word. I figured it was more along the lines of a compliment, guess not. wow.

okikcfan
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I think this whole thing about what Crennel said is stupid. The real question is did Pioli really talk to Manning's agent as has been reported? That to me would be tampering, not Crennel's comments......

jason1981
02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
okikcfan i agree with you that crennal didnt say much anr was just being honest which he was onky stating the obvious about if he be interested in either player but going by the rules its still a violation and thats hes doing it openly. pioli may have but if the agent doesnt admit to it there is no proof of that however crennal was on record when he is talking about the players. the league coukd see us snd fine us without a team filing a coplaint. but it just depends how strict the league is on the issue if they woukd do anythinng. i think they woukd see this as harmless chatter but still rules are rules. f i was the league i woukd fine us money but not a pick just to set a example anr let everyone know it wont be tolerated.

chiefnut
02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
if you read the article in the star you will see the example the league used in the rule sounds almost exactly what crennel said and that would cost us. in essence it would be like saying we have no interest in him while he is under contract but we would be interested in talking to him when he is a free agent. that sends a definite signal you ARE interested, and that is a big NONO!!!

OPLookn
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
if you read the article in the star you will see the example the league used in the rule sounds almost exactly what crennel said and that would cost us. in essence it would be like saying we have no interest in him while he is under contract but we would be interested in talking to him when he is a free agent. that sends a definite signal you ARE interested, and that is a big NONO!!!

"“I’m not supposed to talk about anyone else’s players. He’s still a player with Indianapolis. But with a talent like that, I would be crazy not to consider it if he were available. I’ll leave it at that."

He said talent like that, meaning any player that plays at that level. He also said they'd be crazy not to consider a player at that level. Every team in the NFL that doesn't have a Brady, Rogers or someone they just drafted to be their starting QB is looking at Manning.

If you look at the intent yes it's there but when you get into legalese there's really nothing there. And if you could get something out of that then I don't think anyone would have a draft pick ever. The media is doing what they do best, drumming up anything they can find to sell papers or subscriptions.

matthewschiefs
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't think it will be an issue. The Nfl rule on tampering is violated a lot and it's rare that it is ever made into a issue

GarH
02-28-2012, 06:27 PM
His statements were ill advised and hopefully in the future he'll keep his mouth shut.

Eydugstr
02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Here's what the article says...

The NFL’s policy on tampering covers public statements made by team officials. It reads in part:
“Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”)”

Read more here: Crennel’s comments could cost Chiefs a draft choice - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/26/3454035/crennels-comments-could-cost-chiefs.html#storylink=cpy)

My guess is that Detroit would pitch a fit if the league didn't act. NFL policy is not really a court of law, so legalanese really doesn't hold much water. It boils down to what the NFL decides.

matthewschiefs
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's what the article says...

The NFL’s policy on tampering covers public statements made by team officials. It reads in part:
“Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”)”

Read more here: Crennel’s comments could cost Chiefs a draft choice - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/26/3454035/crennels-comments-could-cost-chiefs.html#storylink=cpy)

My guess is that Detroit would pitch a fit if the league didn't act. NFL policy is not really a court of law, so legalanese really doesn't hold much water. It boils down to what the NFL decides.

I don't think that Detroit would as there coach violates this policy every week as do every other coach in the NFL during the season. When media guys ask about the other teams key players coaches talk about them and what it takes to stop them. They will say something like "He does a good job" that is against the rule. So if they pitch a fit they would only be opening other teams to do the same thing when there coach talks about the other teams players.

jason1981
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
mathew your being a smart *** if you want to consider during the season when theirs asked sbout their opponents during each week. thats why there has to be those small words on evrry docuents that we need a magnifying glasd to read for peoe who wants to be a smart as snd be so technical when you know what they mean by talking about another player. im not saying ur a smart *** but do they have to s it out in lamon terms so smsrt asses dont twist everythi.g

matthewschiefs
02-29-2012, 01:45 AM
mathew your being a smart *** if you want to consider during the season when theirs asked sbout their opponents during each week. thats why there has to be those small words on evrry docuents that we need a magnifying glasd to read for peoe who wants to be a smart as snd be so technical when you know what they mean by talking about another player. im not saying ur a smart *** but do they have to s it out in lamon terms so smsrt asses dont twist everythi.g

I wasn't being a smart*** I was just saying that I really don't think that Detroit would pitch a fit and make a big deal about it like someone said because by the rule that is in place coaches break the rule all the time. If they were to pitch a fit and complain to the NFL about it then they open the door for other teams to do the same thing to them. And I think it would be pretty safe to say that teams would be willing to do that.

KristofLaw
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
The talking heads seem to be in agreement that little to nothing should come down against the Chiefs but it's all in the leagues hands and all things considered it's 50/50 that anything will come of it. Who knows.

dbolan
02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
You would tend to think that Crennel could be a little bit smarter than that. But he wasn't, so now everyone will have to deal with this in one way or another.

Maybe his mind was pre-occupied with the great lunch menu at the combines...LMAO!!!

jason1981
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
i hope this isnt a sign to come from crennal snd his cosching if he not smart enough toknow when to shut up. think hes a good coach but hope hes not to soft on players.

KCCF
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
i hope this isnt a sign to come from crennal snd his cosching if he not smart enough toknow when to shut up. think hes a good coach but hope hes not to soft on players.

It's crennel. But all complaining aside, would you rather have him or Todd Haley. Did you see how pumped they were when they beat green bay? Gatorade bath in his first game.

dbolan
02-29-2012, 06:19 PM
It's crennel. But all complaining aside, would you rather have him or Todd Haley. Did you see how pumped they were when they beat green bay? Gatorade bath in his first game.

True...But I bet they were not excited to hear about this, especially his current starting QB!

One thing a coach ALWAYS tells his players...BE SMART. With his experience, simply saying "no comment" would have been the smartest thing to do. lol

okikcfan
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
I think at this point some are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this Crennel statement. Nothing has been said about it and until The NFL does anything, why worry about it. Worry Warts.... ; )

josh1971
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I think at this point some are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this Crennel statement. Nothing has been said about it and until The NFL does anything, why worry about it. Worry Warts.... ; )

Come on, you're talking about a bunch of folks who are concerning themselves with what kind of arsholle boss Pioli is, even though none of them work for the Chiefs organization.

Of course mountains will be made of molehills.

jason1981
02-29-2012, 11:02 PM
not like we got much else to talk about.

okikcfan
03-01-2012, 02:45 PM
not like we got much else to talk about.

True True

dbolan
03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
We could talk about how many sammiches Romeo eats at one sitting? Wagers, maybe? lol

okikcfan
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
We could talk about how many sammiches Romeo eats at one sitting? Wagers, maybe? lol

4 or more? :lol: