PDA

View Full Version : Dontari Poe

Bortnem
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I know everyone thinks we need to move up and get RGIII or draft DeCastro or Martin from Stanford...but how about we sure up our d-line and get the NT that we have been lacking since switching to the 3-4. Has anyone seen what Dontari Poe did at the combine? He is 346 lbs and ran a 4.98 40 yard dash. He also pumped out 44 reps on the bench. Comparing this guy to Haloti Ngata from the Ravens and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and performed better in every aspect of the combine except vertical jump.

What do you guys think about taking Poe with the 11th pick?

OPLookn
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I know everyone thinks we need to move up and get RGIII or draft DeCastro or Martin from Stanford...but how about we sure up our d-line and get the NT that we have been lacking since switching to the 3-4. Has anyone seen what Dontari Poe did at the combine? He is 346 lbs and ran a 4.98 40 yard dash. He also pumped out 44 reps on the bench. Comparing this guy to Haloti Ngata from the Ravens and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and performed better in every aspect of the combine except vertical jump.

What do you guys think about taking Poe with the 11th pick?

Only if we address RT and/or LG in free agency and take someone like Zebrie Sanders with our 2nd as a starting RT or for depth.

We've neglected our offensive side of the ball for to long. We've built up our D with draft picks and now it's time to have an offensive based draft after starting last year with Baldwin. We can go after a guy like Soliai from the Dolphins to shore up our NT position.

Bortnem
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
In theory we could do the same thing with the O-Line in free agency...maybe pick up Nicks from the Saints and then just get some depth/future starters in the later rounds of the draft while also getting the next Ngata or B.J. Raji for the future.

jason1981
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
id be happy as long as our pick is either rt or nt at #11.

OPLookn
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
In theory we could do the same thing with the O-Line in free agency...maybe pick up Nicks from the Saints and then just get some depth/future starters in the later rounds of the draft while also getting the next Ngata or B.J. Raji for the future.

Yep, absolutely. I think though that NT is our last major area of need. From what I've heard Soliai was offered 13 million by the Dolphins and he said he'd rather test free agency. I'm not sure if that's not enough or if he just really doesn't want to be with the Dolphins any more.

From what I've heard Nicks will be wanting 9 to 10 million a year. Granted that's 3 or 4 million more a year but in the grand scheme of things that's a drop in the bucket. I'd rather get a veteran like Soliai to be our NT and have our defense set than get an aging LG to come in with our new and young O-line.

Canada
02-28-2012, 03:28 PM
No way. He's a workout warrior with minimal skills on the field. Played at a mid level college in Memphis and was lucky if he made 15 tackles a year. I would rather Draft RT and go after Paul Soliai from Miami in FA.

texaschief
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd be ok with him in the 2nd or 3rd but not #11 overall... not enough value.

GarH
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Obviously RT and NT were not strengths on our team last year. If the Chiefs think Powe and Mims will be the answer sometime in the future, then both positions could be addressed in free agency by players with 2 or 3 good years left in them and give Powe and Mims time to develop. It will be interesting to see which way they go.

Canada
02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Obviously RT and NT were not strengths on our team last year. If the Chiefs think Powe and Mims will be the answer sometime in the future, then both positions could be addressed in free agency by players with 2 or 3 good years left in them and give Powe and Mims time to develop. It will be interesting to see which way they go.As long as Barry richardson is gone i will be happy!!

GarH
02-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Obviously Richardson needs to be replaced.

AussieChiefsFan
02-29-2012, 01:09 AM
I saw him at the combine too. If they drafted him he'd be a great NT. Although if they can't get some big names in free agency if rather draft someone else

KristofLaw
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd like to see this fella develop on our team if we can get him somewhere's in the range of 33rd to 76th overall if available. Workout warrior?! The guy looks like a monster gap filler. It would be nice to have this guy looking down the o-line ready to plug up our gaps imo.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2011/11/23/app___________t607.jpg

Canada
02-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Hes 346 lbs, Ran his 40 in 4.96 secs, 44 reps on the bench. 15 tackles. Sounds like a guy who performs at the combine and not so much on the field. If they take him i agree it should be later in the 2nd round.

dbolan
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
You can't teach strength and athleticism but later rounds would be better.

OPLookn
02-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately this guy isn't going to make it out of the 1st round. To many people in the second half of the 1st need a DT or NT. If we aren't using the 11th pick on him or trade back 4 or 5 spots Poe will not be on our roster.

jap1
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Some people are mocking him as a top 15 pick now. So low chance that we pick him up ... unless we lock up a RT and LG in FA, then I wouldnt mind the pick.

Bortnem
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
He only has 15 tackles...the point of a NT in the 3-4 is to plug holes for the LBs to make plays and not for the NT to be leading the team in tackles...seems like he did and can do a pretty good job at that.

OPLookn
02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
He only has 15 tackles...the point of a NT in the 3-4 is to plug holes for the LBs to make plays and not for the NT to be leading the team in tackles...seems like he did and can do a pretty good job at that.

The other benefit is that he's super fast/athletic for his size. I don't think a guy that big and that fast will ever be covered by just one guy. I think it'll take at least two and those guys would be pushed back due to Poe getting off the ball and being that strong/fast. I'm torn now that I've seen his results and with him our D would be extremely young and we could go into a maintain mode or just continue to bring in guys that we can develop or challenge starters which is where you want a team.

I'd much rather discuss who should be starting then about who we need to draft or get in free agency to fill a hole. However, while I wouldn't mind Poe I think we need to go OLine.

Canada
03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
He only has 15 tackles...the point of a NT in the 3-4 is to plug holes for the LBs to make plays and not for the NT to be leading the team in tackles...seems like he did and can do a pretty good job at that.No, he should be making tackles as well. Wilfork had 63 last season. You should be tackling anyone that runs up the middle, otherwise the hole has not been plugged.

I just dont buy into the leap in draft stock from one good day at the combine. This guy was not going anywhere in the first round before the combine. did people just now realize he is strong and fast?? Sounds like poor scouting if he went under everyones radar. I just dont see how a good day at the combine changes everyones mind that drastically when we clearly need a new RT and there are a TON more players available there who have PROVEN they are good on the football field as well as having a good combine. To much risk with our #1 pick IMO:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefs fanatic
03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't use a first round pick on him. His lack of production is a big drawback even if he has great measurables.

figcrostic
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
No, he should be making tackles as well. Wilfork had 63 last season. You should be tackling anyone that runs up the middle, otherwise the hole has not been plugged.

I just dont buy into the leap in draft stock from one good day at the combine. This guy was not going anywhere in the first round before the combine. did people just now realize he is strong and fast?? Sounds like poor scouting if he went under everyones radar. I just dont see how a good day at the combine changes everyones mind that drastically when we clearly need a new RT and there are a TON more players available there who have PROVEN they are good on the football field as well as having a good combine. To much risk with our #1 pick IMO:bananen_smilies046:

Isn't the purpose of the NT to be a big strong guy that plugs holes and gets double teamed allowing LB's and DE's to be freed up to go after the QB? If so wouldn't the combine be a great indication of this. I understand a position like a QB, CB, WR, etc. that take a great amount of skill but the NT is basically a big bodied guy he's not going to be covering WR's he's going to jam up holes and smash centers to the ground, so strength and speed are great indicators. Also like many people have stated this guy's only issue is his technique which is a coaching issue.

OPLookn
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't use a first round pick on him. His lack of production is a big drawback even if he has great measurables.

In a 3-4 defense the front line rarely has major production. Their job is to get double teamed so the LB'ers can come in and rack up the numbers. Poe has to be double teamed regularly to keep him out of the backfield. This is exactly what a team wants in a NT. Would 11 be to early to take a NT? Not if it completes the D for years to come.

figcrostic
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
In a 3-4 defense the front line rarely has major production. Their job is to get double teamed so the LB'ers can come in and rack up the numbers. Poe has to be double teamed regularly to keep him out of the backfield. This is exactly what a team wants in a NT. Would 11 be to early to take a NT? Not if it completes the D for years to come.
:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefs fanatic
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM

I'm aware that it is not the NT's job to record a lot of tackles but I'd still expect his numbers to be higher playing in C-USA and he was only named to second team in the conference. Somewhere I read in an article that his effort isn't always great and that he takes an abnormally high amount of plays off. He might turn out to be a great player but at this point I'm skeptical and I don't like to have doubts about our 1st round pick.

TopekaRoy
03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm aware that it is not the NT's job to record a lot of tackles but I'd still expect his numbers to be higher playing in C-USA and he was only named to second team in the conference. Somewhere I read in an article that his effort isn't always great and that he takes an abnormally high amount of plays off. He might turn out to be a great player but at this point I'm skeptical and I don't like to have doubts about our 1st round pick.

I think your concerns about Poe's effort and work ethic are well founded. From what I have read about him (and that's not a lot) he has all the tools to be an elite player. He doesn't always "play until the whistle" and is easy to take with out with a chop block. He needs to work on his technique.

His stats don't really concern me as much as his attitude does. Quite often good coaching can take a player with raw physical skills and develop them into great players, but there is no guarantee. It just depends on how much effort the player is willing to put in.

Maybe Poe is just bored playing in C-USA and will do what it takes to be great when he starts facing great opponents. Or maybe he will get lazy once he gets his big payday.

I think Poe has high potential and is a high risk. If you are a gambling man, you weigh the risk against the reward. So the question is, "does the potential reward outweigh the risk?" At #11 I'm not sure. In the mid twenties or so, yeah, I would probably pull the trigger.

kylebigmac09
03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I think your concerns about Poe's effort and work ethic are well founded. From what I have read about him (and that's not a lot) he has all the tools to be an elite player. He doesn't always "play until the whistle" and is easy to take with out with a chop block. He needs to work on his technique.

His stats don't really concern me as much as his attitude does. Quite often good coaching can take a player with raw physical skills and develop them into great players, but there is no guarantee. It just depends on how much effort the player is willing to put in.

Maybe Poe is just bored playing in C-USA and will do what it takes to be great when he starts facing great opponents. Or maybe he will get lazy once he gets his big payday.

I think Poe has high potential and is a high risk. If you are a gambling man, you weigh the risk against the reward. So the question is, "does the potential reward outweigh the risk?" At #11 I'm not sure. In the mid twenties or so, yeah, I would probably pull the trigger.
In my mind, 11 is a high enough pick that you should still be taking a "sure thing"

figcrostic
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
In my mind, 11 is a high enough pick that you should still be taking a "sure thing"

purely speculation but i'm thinking if we trade down to 20 and get a second round pick we Poe would available

jap1
03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
A lot of the mocks I saw before the combine had him going at the end of the 1st round. Now they are putting him at around 10-18. So, it doesn't seem like too much of a jump. That having been said, I would consider him if we traded back 10 picks or so and didn't pick up a NT in free agency. But I would rather have a proven NT like Soliai from Miami.

OPLookn
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM

Wasn't aware of the level of effort that Poe does or doesn't contribute. That gives me a bit of pause. I'd agree that you want a sure thing with your first round pick. I'd always want a sure thing with my first rounder. But the same thing was said about Raji when he came out. Overweight, took plays off, etc. That is the real question though, was he bored or is he lazy?

As I've said before we have lots of things we need so it'd be hard to make me upset with any pick.

Canada
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Isn't the purpose of the NT to be a big strong guy that plugs holes and gets double teamed allowing LB's and DE's to be freed up to go after the QB? If so wouldn't the combine be a great indication of this. I understand a position like a QB, CB, WR, etc. that take a great amount of skill but the NT is basically a big bodied guy he's not going to be covering WR's he's going to jam up holes and smash centers to the ground, so strength and speed are great indicators. Also like many people have stated this guy's only issue is his technique which is a coaching issue.Im sure I heard the same thing about Ryan Sims. If being big and strong is all it takes to play NT, then there would be tons of them around. I just find it curious that people are putting more emphasis on his good one day workout over his 4 year college career. I like a guy who had a good combine AND a good college career. Im not saying the guy isnt gonna be a beast, but we clearly need more help on the offensive side of the line, there are a ton more proven O linemen in the draft. I would rather take a RT to replace Barry Richardson (who was ranked the worst football player in the league last year) and sign a FA NT. But if you think taking a flyer with our #1 pick on a big guy who had a good combine then all the power to you.

FYI I know the job of a NT is to take on a double team to LBs can go at the QB, but the NT is also instrumental in stopping the run...if you cant tackle then all you are doing is helping to create a great big running lane up the middle.

jason1981
03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
i think everyone agrees that at 11 u shold take a sure thing. poe woukd he a reach but not by much. it just depends if the chiefs think they can keep him motivated. but at #11 there is going to be someone that slips out of the top ten and going to be a sure thing. which is why were in a goood place to trade down if we want. but i woukdnt trade down past 18

chief31
03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Not at 11, for me.

Canada
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
What about Aubrayo Franklin? Hes a FA

pojote
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
We need a 0-technique NT, that can occupy 2 gaps, be double teamed all the time. I recently read that Poe isn't that guy (he certainly could be in a future). 0-tech NT is very technical, as much as physical. Last season we had in Gregg a true 0-tech NT, but I think we could get better as a bigger guy can be starting. I really hope Powe had learned, but I think one year is a very short time to fully understand that position.

eggersonian
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Antonio Garay presents an opportunity for the Chiefs to improve their defensive line. They should try to sign him from the Chargers.

pojote
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Antonio Garay presents an opportunity for the Chiefs to improve their defensive line. They should try to sign him from the Chargers.

I don't think he can fit in Chiefs defense.

HaliForPresident
03-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Poe is projected to be a 3-4 DE because he is not physical enough. Despite what people seem to think technique is extremely important for all linemen (offense and defense) including NT. Sue only did 225 lb 32 times in the bench press yet many ppl view him like he's the strongest DL you can find. If NT what nothing more than size we would see guys from world's strongest man playing in the NFL but we don't for a reason. Poe at that size doesn't have the technique and doesn't get low enough to be a starting NT in the NFL. His size and film alone without knowing his combine scores would suggest he go in the 2nd to 3rd round. PS: Jared Crick out of Nebraska will some day be a starting 3-4 DE in the NFL, he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick

OPLookn
03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Poe is projected to be a 3-4 DE because he is not physical enough. Despite what people seem to think technique is extremely important for all linemen (offense and defense) including NT. Sue only did 225 lb 32 times in the bench press yet many ppl view him like he's the strongest DL you can find. If NT what nothing more than size we would see guys from world's strongest man playing in the NFL but we don't for a reason. Poe at that size doesn't have the technique and doesn't get low enough to be a starting NT in the NFL. His size and film alone without knowing his combine scores would suggest he go in the 2nd to 3rd round. PS: Jared Crick out of Nebraska will some day be a starting 3-4 DE in the NFL, he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick

I'd be on board with trading down and getting another couple picks and picking up Crick with one of them. He tore his pectoral muscle last year but that's healed. Guy was a good opposite Suh and shined once Suh left Nebraska. But if we pick him up to me it says that Dorsey is gone after this year.

chiefnut
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
stay at 11 and take decastro or trade down and take devon still, better choice than poe..has proven himself stout against the run and gets into the backfield harassing the QB and usually gets a double team. can play NT or even DE in a 3-4

figcrostic
03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Pioli did such a great job in the FA that Poe isn't such a stretch at 11, I'd prefer to trade down to 20 and get an extra pick or two but I would not be irate if we got Poe at 11.

chiefnut
03-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Pioli did such a great job in the FA that Poe isn't such a stretch at 11, I'd prefer to trade down to 20 and get an extra pick or two but I would not be irate if we got Poe at 11.

Poe is a BIG gamble, he has impressed at the combine w/speed and quickness...but on tape has been pushed around by power blocking and has easily been taken out by RB's and TE's. i would not want to gamble a #11 on that. He may be another of those w/a huge potential but not the motor to achieve it. Decastro just seems to be a sure thing and an immediate impact player. if not him trade down, i like Still if we can get him plus a pick. he has spent a ton of time on the field since PSU has had no offense for the past 2 years. he does not usually get credited for alot of sacks but he does disrupt the backfield so others sack the QB or cause incompletions and broken plays. he plays much better against the run than Poe. if not Still than any player that would be an impact player will do.:chiefs:

jason1981
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
if we trade down we will not get him. i wont be suprised if hes taken before us anyways.

Chiefs fanatic
03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
if we trade down we will not get him. i wont be suprised if hes taken before us anyways.

I'd be surprised if someone before us takes him but it's perfectly fine with me if someone does. I know DT is probably our biggest need but at pick 11 I'd much rather take Decastro or Kuechly. Poe is just too big a risk for me with the 11th pick.

raiderhater79
04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
If he were to fall to us in the 2nd, I would not mind so much, but not at 11 overall. He has the high potential to be the missing lovechild of Ryan Sims and Vernon Gholston. He also could pan out very well but too high risk in my eyes.

chiefnut
04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
if we take poe at 11 i'll send hate mail to pioli!!!

nigeriannightmare
04-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I read it on espn.com and am too lazy to provide a link. The college coaches at memphis admittrd to not coaching him properly and praised for handling.the situation in which he did given the circumstance. His first year of organized football was his freshman year so hes been playing organized football for what six years. If u dont know what ur job is ur gonna look foolish regardless of competiron level, how he interviews will determine his draft status. Hes massive and has a high ceiling. Article did say hes a second rounder though so u dont place too much expectation on him he will need to be babied.

Bike
04-08-2012, 10:41 PM
As long as Barry richardson is gone i will be happy!!
Even with an empty cooler?

KCCF
04-09-2012, 07:12 AM
1 sack against an unknown team. No thanks.

Canada
04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Even with an empty cooler?
If my cooler is empty that means I have a lot of beer in me!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
If my cooler is empty that means I have a lot of beer in me!! :bananen_smilies046:\

I thought you were going to say that if your cooler was empty that means the world has run out of beer. :D

Canada
04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
I thought you were going to say that if your cooler was empty that means the world has run out of beer. :DCan that happen?? :sAng_scream:

AussieChiefsFan
04-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Can that happen?? :sAng_scream:

For your sake I sure hope not

Chiefster
04-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Can that happen?? :sAng_scream:

Only the day after December 21, 2012 will tell. :lol:

chiefnut
04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Only the day after December 21, 2012 will tell. :lol:

if the EOW cryers are right there won't be a day after December 21 2012:efpge:

Chiefster
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM

I'm not too concerned. :D

chiefnut
04-17-2012, 02:37 PM
should we open our xmas presents early just in case, hey maybe we won't have to worry about all those bills that come after Christmas!!

jason1981
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
wast of time going to this thread. make a thread about beer if u wanna talk about beer.

chief31
04-18-2012, 10:06 PM

We won't even be here to see that day. The world will end then, but mankind is gone when the calender hits all those 12s. :smile

TopekaRoy
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
We won't even be here to see that day. The world will end then, but mankind is gone when the calender hits all those 12s. :smile

Would that be 12:12:12am on 12/12/2012 or pm?

I just want to know so I can plan accordingly. :D

Chiefster
04-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Would that be 12:12:12am on 12/12/2012 or pm?

I just want to know so I can plan accordingly. :D

...And are we talkin central standard, east or west costs time. :lol:

chiefnut
04-19-2012, 08:29 AM

that would be ancient myan time. don't ya think the calendar maker figured he'd carved enuf stone for 5000 years and said thats good enuf, we can add more in a thousand years or so??:punk:

TopekaRoy
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Maybe the sun will explode into a super nova and fry mankind one time zone at a time!:lol:

Chiefster
04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
that would be ancient myan time. don't ya think the calendar maker figured he'd carved enuf stone for 5000 years and said thats good enuf, we can add more in a thousand years or so??:punk:

Maybe the sun will explode into a super nova and fry mankind one time zone at a time!:lol:

O Brother - I'm with you fellas - YouTube

KristofLaw
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd like to see this fella develop on our team if we can get him somewhere's in the range of 33rd to 76th overall if available. Workout warrior?! The guy looks like a monster gap filler. It would be nice to have this guy looking down the o-line ready to plug up our gaps imo.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2011/11/23/app___________t607.jpg

So this man is the newest Chief! Welcome to Kansas City... big upside, make it work!

AkChief49
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
DP means differential pressure. Please apply it often!!!welcome to the CHIEFS!!

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Crennel can really help poe become a great player! Cant wait to see him play!!