PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Released from Steelers

dbolan
02-29-2012, 06:06 PM
...I think he should be a consideration for the Chiefs!

AussieChiefsFan
02-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow. Be amazing if they could resign bowe, sign manning, and then sign wayne/ward

dbolan
02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Yep...he has lost a step but he is a GAMER and would be a good mentor for the current WR corp.

TopekaRoy
02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow. Be amazing if they could resign bowe, sign manning, and then sign wayne/ward

That would be great if we got the 2009 Hines Ward. A 36 yr old QB throwing to a 36 yr old receiver; that's not exactly building for the future. Haven't we already tried taking on other teams old, washed-up rejects? How did that work out for us?

2010chiefs
02-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Nah. I'd pass on him!

josh1971
02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
That would be great if we got the 2009 Hines Ward. A 36 yr old QB throwing to a 36 yr old receiver; that's not exactly building for the future. Haven't we already tried taking on other teams old, washed-up rejects? How did that work out for us?

In at least one instance, it got us to the AFC Championship.

KristofLaw
02-29-2012, 09:09 PM
I'd take a chance on him. That said I find it extremely unfortunate the Steelers didn't just let the guy retire a Steeler. Who knows, maybe he was hoping for a release though, they weren't really playing him or gonna give him much of a shot were they.

Ah, franchise players rarely retire with the team they became a star with and go on to lose their luster elsewhere. Whatever.

bricooper78
02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I agree both ways, Hines would be a great teacher for the younger receivers. He is also a pretty good blocker, how many times you see him level someone?

But I think his days are limited, he was a great blocking wide out... but I think we need a "pass" (no pun intended) on Mr. Ward, we have more glaring concerns

Ryfo18
02-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Hines has no legs anymore. I saw a stat that Pro Football Focus tweeted out today that 16 of his 46 catches this year were behind the line of scrimmage. No doubt that was the Steelers helping him get to 1000 career receptions (he has 1000 on the dot right now). Of those 16, he only managed 3.8 yards. The guy just can't get open anymore.

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2012, 12:10 AM

You're calling Peyton Manning a Washed up Reject? Peyton manning?!

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 01:12 AM
You're calling Peyton Manning a Washed up Reject? Peyton manning?!

Both Ward and Manning are old. Ward is definitely not as good as he used to be, and right now neither is Peyton. You guys are all hoping he fully recovers but so far he hasn't. And both players have been or will be released, cut, rejected by their current/former teams, so, yeah, I stand by what I said. Until Manning can throw a ball more than 20 yards, he's "washed up."

Listen, I mean no disrespect to either player. Both were great, but every athlete's career comes to an end at some point, either because of age or injury. Either or both players may still have a good year or 2 left in them, or maybe not.

I want players who are at their peak or approaching it, not players who are past it. But that's just me, I guess.

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 01:22 AM
In at least one instance, it got us to the AFC Championship.

Which we lost 30-13. And the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since! I think this team has their sites set just a little higher than that!

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Both Ward and Manning are old. Ward is definitely not as good as he used to be, and right now neither is Peyton. You guys are all hoping he fully recovers but so far he hasn't. And both players have been or will be released, cut, rejected by their current/former teams, so, yeah, I stand by what I said. Until Manning can throw a ball more than 20 yards, he's "washed up."

Listen, I mean no disrespect to either player. Both were great, but every athlete's career comes to an end at some point, either because of age or injury. Either or both players may still have a good year or 2 left in them, or maybe not.

I want players who are at their peak or approaching it, not players who are past it. But that's just me, I guess.
Think about it. It's PEYTON MANNING. Even if we only gte 1 year or less it's worth the shot. He's said he's willing to sign a performance based contract.

KCCF
03-01-2012, 04:03 AM

I'm gonna have to agree. As of now he is washed up. Until we see what he can do he is washed up.

TecmoNightmare
03-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Hines Ward is not worth it. He's past his prime, and I can see him as a back up receiver that makes just a few catches a game.

dbolan
03-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Hines Ward is not worth it. He's past his prime, and I can see him as a back up receiver that makes just a few catches a game.

He is worth it but he would not be a starter. Certain packages would give him opportunities and he would mentor the guys we have and our #1 could use it. Especially with the dropped ball issues and stepping up his game.

He could be signed for cheap...Which plays to the Chiefs LMAO

#58ChiefsFan
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM

That's not just you brother.

OPLookn
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Think about it. It's PEYTON MANNING. Even if we only gte 1 year or less it's worth the shot. He's said he's willing to sign a performance based contract.

Again this was PEYTON MANNING two years ago. As someone that's his age I can tell you that everything starts sliding reeeeal fast once you hit your 30's. Am I comparing myself to a NFL player? Of course not, that'd be absurd. But aging is aging at any level. Peyton also had season ending surgery and had three of them at that. Not to mention look at how sluggish the NFL was after the lockout because of missed OTA's and other in general training programs for three to four months. Manning has missed a year and a half of those!

I'll compare Manning to Jordan coming back the second time. You remember how great he was but when he started playing again you really just wish the guy had stayed retired so you could keep that memory of an all star. Maybe I'm wrong but the stats tend to show I'm right.

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 03:37 PM
I'll compare Manning to Jordan coming back the second time. You remember how great he was but when he started playing again you really just wish the guy had stayed retired so you could keep that memory of an all star. Maybe I'm wrong but the stats tend to show I'm right.

Yeah, do you remember Jordan as a Washington Wizard?

Neither do I! :lol:

dbolan
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Yea...That was his 3rd comeback..Not immensley memorable.

dbolan
03-01-2012, 03:48 PM
He was 38 after a 2 year layoff.

in his last seaon (02 and 03) Jordan ended that season as the only Wizard to play in all 82 games, as he averaged 20.0 points,[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Wizards#cite_note-20points-4) 6.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 1.5 steals in 37.0 minutes per game.

Not bad for an old broken down fart lol

whackojacko58
03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
wow were not comparing hines ward to mj are we? i say no to ward, hes slow, was a no show the last two seasons, has issues with the law all hed do is blind side some defensive players if hed ever even get on the field

OPLookn
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Yea...That was his 3rd comeback..Not immensley memorable.

It was only his 2nd comeback. Jordan was drafted by Chicago in 84 and played til the end of the 1993 season. He then came back to Chicago in 94 and played til 98.

Then in 2001 he came in to play with the Washington Wizards for two years before hanging it up forever.

If only he would have quit playing after his three peat in 95, 96 and 97 (ending in 1998). The guy would have been cemented in history with no doubts. Instead we have your second thread...remember when that over the hill basketball player came back and was a glimmer of his former self...sigh. I loved Jordan.

wow were not comparing hines ward to mj are we? i say no to ward, hes slow, was a no show the last two seasons, has issues with the law all hed do is blind side some defensive players if hed ever even get on the field

No we are definitely not comparing Ward to Jordan. I'm also a no on Ward coming here. Although he does have the Arrowhead chop down. Remember when he pulled that in the game where we came back and beat them? Loved that game...s*ck it Ward! :lol:

chief31
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
It was only his 2nd comeback. Jordan was drafted by Chicago in 84 and played til the end of the 1993 season. He then came back to Chicago in 94 and played til 98.

Then in 2001 he came in to play with the Washington Wizards for two years before hanging it up forever.

If only he would have quit playing after his three peat in 95, 96 and 97 (ending in 1998). The guy would have been cemented in history with no doubts. Instead we have your second thread...remember when that over the hill basketball player came back and was a glimmer of his former self...sigh. I loved Jordan.

Micheal was still quite amazing with The Wizards.

He was not playing full time. But he was exceptional, and still did things that are just not realistic.

If you missed it, then that's your loss. But he was still Micheal Jordan.

And, even had he been as mediocre as you suggest, then it has absolutely nothing do with how incredible he was with The Bulls.

Going out on top is for quitters.

A true champion fights 'til the bitter end.

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 09:11 PM

He was not playing full time. But he was exceptional, and still did things that are just not realistic.

And, even had he been as mediocre as you suggest, then it has absolutely nothing do with how incredible he was with The Bulls.

Agreed. Jordan was still above average with the Wizards, but he was just another really good player at that point. He was no longer "Air" Jordan.

I can't blame him for wanting to continue to play when he was past his prime, though. It was that competitive drive, that hunger to be the best, that made him what he was in the first place.

And it takes nothing away from what he did with the Bulls, IMO. It doesn't "taint" his legacy. It was just an epilogue to an outstanding career that added nothing and took away nothing.

KristofLaw
03-02-2012, 12:59 AM
It was just an epilogue to an outstanding career that added nothing and took away nothing.

Actually that last all star game where he could have made MVP was a nice touch for me. He should have had last shot for the win. :D

Damn, now there's a player that will be missed by almost everyone.

TecmoNightmare
03-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Can't compare Hines Ward to Michael Jordan, sorry.

Two different sports, and MJ hands down was the greatest basketball player of all time for my opinion. I wouldn't even put Hines Ward in the top 10 of best receivers of all time.

AkChief49
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Two different sports, and MJ hands down was the greatest basketball player of all time for my opinion. I wouldn't even put Hines Ward in the top 10 of best receivers of all time.
If you made up that list for "all around" receivers he makes it in my book. I'm talking about a team player, blocker, hard worker carry his lunch to work kind of player. Not too many receivers can (could) block like Hines. Tough dude.

dbolan
03-02-2012, 08:56 AM
If you made up that list for "all around" receivers he makes it in my book. I'm talking about a team player, blocker, hard worker carry his lunch to work kind of player. Not too many receivers can (could) block like Hines. Tough dude.

AK, I agree with you and just to add a little to your post:

Not many WR's WILL block like Hines Ward.

Seek
03-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Ward is done. He scored two touchdowns last year, both in one game. He was a great player, but not worth wasting an active spot on the roster over.

OPLookn
03-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Jordan came in about a quarter of the season in 2001. He started in 53 games but played in 60 and averaged 35 minutes a game. In 2002 he started in 67 but played in all 82 games with an average of 37 minutes.

The only other time in his career that his played in and started games were different was his second season where it as 7 started and 18 played in (he got hurt that season).

I'm not saying he wasn't absolutely incredible with the Bulls. He was amazing to watch. I, every friend of mine and everyone on the basketball team tried to emulate him. I'm not sure anyone will ever have 2 three peats ever again.

There is going out on top but thankfully Jordan was smart enough to realize he wasn't ever going to return to the form he was at with the Bulls. I did watch him as a Wizard and while it wasn't bad I do remember saying that isn't "Air" Jordan. I'll always be glad that he retired when he did and didn't try to keep coming back like Farve did. To me Farve tainted some of his greatness status by not knowing when to hang it up. A true champion fights to the bitter end but also knows when to retreat and call it a career.

I'll always be thankful for Jordan. He gave me and a generation of kids something to dream about. I'll always remember his winning shot in game 6 of the 1998 championship game against the Jazz. Crossing over a Jazz player to elevate and drill it with just seconds left. I practiced that shot for a ridiculous amount of hours.

:bananen_smilies046:

okikcfan
03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Jordan came in about a quarter of the season in 2001. He started in 53 games but played in 60 and averaged 35 minutes a game. In 2002 he started in 67 but played in all 82 games with an average of 37 minutes.

The only other time in his career that his played in and started games were different was his second season where it as 7 started and 18 played in (he got hurt that season).

I'm not saying he wasn't absolutely incredible with the Bulls. He was amazing to watch. I, every friend of mine and everyone on the basketball team tried to emulate him. I'm not sure anyone will ever have 2 three peats ever again.

There is going out on top but thankfully Jordan was smart enough to realize he wasn't ever going to return to the form he was at with the Bulls. I did watch him as a Wizard and while it wasn't bad I do remember saying that isn't "Air" Jordan. I'll always be glad that he retired when he did and didn't try to keep coming back like Farve did. To me Farve tainted some of his greatness status by not knowing when to hang it up. A true champion fights to the bitter end but also knows when to retreat and call it a career.

I'll always be thankful for Jordan. He gave me and a generation of kids something to dream about. I'll always remember his winning shot in game 6 of the 1998 championship game against the Jazz. Crossing over a Jazz player to elevate and drill it with just seconds left. I practiced that shot for a ridiculous amount of hours.

:bananen_smilies046:

Wait....Where am I? This is CHIEFS CROWD....right? Be right back......:drunkhb:

OPLookn
03-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Just some debate, yes it's the CHIEFS CROWD but it's Friday and Friday's I tend to....squirrel!!! Oh yeah, you best have another one of those for me.

:beer:

TopekaRoy
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Welcome to BullsBunch.com. Only in this case it's just one Bull! :smile

chief31
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Two different sports, and MJ hands down was the greatest basketball player of all time for my opinion. I wouldn't even put Hines Ward in the top 10 of best receivers of all time.If you made up that list for "all around" receivers he makes it in my book. I'm talking about a team player, blocker, hard worker carry his lunch to work kind of player. Not too many receivers can (could) block like Hines. Tough dude.

Did you watch Jordan very much?

He was not just some great player. He was all alone in his class, for any athlete I have ever watched. He was so much better than everybody else in the sport that he rarely had to "turn it on", but when he did, it was not realistic.

He did things in games, in playoff games, that no player is allowed to do.

He shot a three pointer in a playoff game against The Knicks, while staring down John Starks.

He told the referees to give him a technical foul for what he was about to do to Dikembe Mutumbo, again, in the playoffs.

When he got emotional about it, he was invincible.

I don't like basketball. But I didn't miss much of Michael Jordan. The greatest athlete I have ever seen.

I think it quite childish when people argue sports and accuse their opposition of "having a man-crush" or any of that. But, when it is Michael Jordan, I don't bother to defend. Every moment of Jordan's career that I saw, I spent in awe.

There is no feeling like seeing the impossible, and knowing that you are going to see more of it, even before the game ends.

chief31
03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Oh and, sorry for high-jacking the thread. :lol:

dbolan
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Ward retires! Good Luck to him!

Steelers WR Hines Ward retiring - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aiw9JxU.g1.HoH6DjML9dwpDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-ward)

KristofLaw
03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Indeed. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

OPLookn
03-21-2012, 12:34 PM

This discussion has been had in this thread already and I won't take the bait a second time!!

:lol:

chief31
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
This discussion has been had in this thread already and I won't take the bait a second time!!

Alright, help me out. WHat am I missing here? The quote was what started that off-topic discussion, on March 1st.

Was there a threat that the thread was heading that way again? All I saw was two comments about Ward retiring.

I have to be missing something here. :D

TopekaRoy
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Alright, help me out. WHat am I missing here? The quote was what started that off-topic discussion, on March 1st.

Was there a threat that the thread was heading that way again? All I saw was two comments about Ward retiring.

I have to be missing something here. :D

:lol: I'm not certain, but I think OP is implying a comparison to Peyton Manning changing teams!

he's a troublemaker. :D