PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com: Manning's perfect match exists in Kansas City

Jrudi
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Manning's perfect match exists in Kansas City (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827505c3/article/mannings-perfect-match-exists-in-kansas-city?module=HP11_cp)

An article on the front page of NFL.com...Why Manning Fits in KC!

okikcfan
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
This could get interesting over the next week or so.....

Jrudi
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
yes it could..1 week from today is the deadline for the colts to have to pick up that $28 mil option...

so something could happen pretty quick

whackojacko58
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
boy sounds like something ive heard or seen....hmm... like a month ago... oh yea!! i've said all this for a month lol. I love seeing this article, i believe the chiefs are serious about bringing in competition. I don't see them putting up info about manning and rg3 to just resign orton. Theres no need for a smoke screen like this to pick up a average qb. not saying ortons bad but we know what cassel and orton bring to the table. so i feel kc will land someone so can't wait for next week to come, then the start of free agency.

TopekaRoy
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I agree that the Chiefs would be a great fit for Manning. I'm just still not fully convinced that Manning would be a good fit for the Chiefs.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I even suggested a contract for him that I could live with in another thread.

I did find these quotes interesting:

Washington Redskins: ... Signing Manning would be a band-aid. Still like the Chiefs better.

Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks aren't into band-aids at this point. "I just know if you panic at the position, it can set the organization back. So we're not going to do that," GM John Schneider said last week.

Why is a band-aid good for us and bad for other teams? Their wounds are just as bad as ours is.

OPLookn
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I agree that the Chiefs would be a great fit for Manning. I'm just still not fully convinced that Manning would be a good fit for the Chiefs.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I even suggested a contract for him that I could live with in another thread.

Why is a band-aid good for us and bad for other teams? Their wounds are just as bad as ours is.

I think the reason the guy thinks that it'd be a good fit for us is that we've had a bunch of young guys playing for a couple of years and they're getting to the point of coming up on contracts. Bowe and Carr are prime examples. Albert and Dorsey next year, etc. Manning comes in and all of our free agents say dang! the Chiefs are going to be contenders and want to win now. It also allows us to groom a QB for a few years and then put him in (Stanzi or someone else).

The others I think we can agree that they aren't ready for any kind of playoff run. Maybe Seattle but not with San Fran looking the way they were last year.

Three7s
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM

What young QB exists on the Redskins or Seahawks roster? The Redskins NEED a young QB in the draft, which won't be happening if they sign Manning. Same goes with the Seahawks, but they're much too far down.

The Chiefs aren't in great position by any means, but at least they have Stanzi and the chance to take a Tannehill in the first or a Foles in the 2nd. The Redskins and Seahawks both need WR help in a big way, as well as play-makers in general.

okikcfan
03-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I think the reason the guy thinks that it'd be a good fit for us is that we've had a bunch of young guys playing for a couple of years and they're getting to the point of coming up on contracts. Bowe and Carr are prime examples. Albert and Dorsey next year, etc. Manning comes in and all of our free agents say dang! the Chiefs are going to be contenders and want to win now. It also allows us to groom a QB for a few years and then put him in (Stanzi or someone else).

The others I think we can agree that they aren't ready for any kind of playoff run. Maybe Seattle but not with San Fran looking the way they were last year.

This could be true, it also gives us some extra time to groom Stanzi or whom ever to take over when Manning leaves....

AussieChiefsFan
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Exactly. The chiefs are more set at other positions than the other teams looking to sign Manning

Jrudi
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree with the explanation of the "band-aid" quotes...

The reason Manning Fits, it because we are ready for a playoff run right now, without having too many gaping holes at positions across our roster (not saying we don't have any holes to fill).

The Redskins have a number of different needs and just adding Manning alone won't be enough, plus I doubt Peyton wants to have to compete with Eli every year to make the playoffs. That divisions is tougher to win then the AFC West.

Adding Manning instantly makes us a dangerous team in the AFC which is to be honest with you, has less elite teams standing in the way of a Super Bowl berth than the NFC (Pats who made the SB this year because of opponents shooting themselves in the foot, and a watered down AFC side of the bracket...Ravens...Texans..who else. Not to many)

I think Manning wants to be in the AFC. The NFC's road to a super bowl requires him to possibly go through teams like San Fran, Green Bay, NYG, Saints, Bears, Lions, Cowboys, Eagles, Atlanta..It's a much tougher road to travel than the AFC.

nigeriannightmare
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Two words ...ricki stanzi.

nigeriannightmare
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
This manning to kc is gaining traction espn.com lead article is comparing manning to montana and why kc is the best place. Best team most money and familiarity.

kcvet
03-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Where Manning Goes – Reggie Wayne Will Follow. a deal sweetner???

jap1
03-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Where Manning Goes – Reggie Wayne Will Follow. a deal sweetner???

Only if we dont want to pay D. Bowe. Id rather have D.Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Mccluster. Wayne doesnt seem to fit in anywhere unless we demote someone or cut someone.

kcvet
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Only if we dont want to pay D. Bowe. Id rather have D.Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Mccluster. Wayne doesnt seem to fit in anywhere unless we demote someone or cut someone.

If Pioli wants Manning he'll make Wayne fit in. and who wouldnt??? Waynes' not the drop and smile type. pretty impressive stats with manning.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: Started 16 games at WR for fifth consecutive season in 2007 and continues to establish himself as one of league’s top players at position…was selected to second career Pro Bowl in 2007, his first as starter…is 494-6,984, 47 TDs career receiving…ranks 3rd in Colts receptions (1,042, Marvin Harrison; 631, Raymond Berry), 3rd in receiving yards (13,944, Harrison; 9,275, Berry), and 5th in receiving TDs (123, Harrison; 68, Berry; 50, Jimmy Orr; 48, Lenny Moore)…owns four 1,000+ seasons (2004-07), 22 100+ games, seven double-digit reception outings, seven multiple-TD games and one 3+-TD game…was 104-1,510, 10 TDs receiving in 2007, marking career-best reception and yardage totals… seasonal reception totals have increased each season with club, and he became third player in NFL history to increase total in first seven seasons of career (Berry, 1955-61; Shawn Jefferson, 1991-1997)…became 16th NFL player with 1,500+ reception yardage season…has receptions in 103 of 109 career games and has played in 102 consecutive games…has had multiple receptions in 77 of last 80 games…has paired with QB-Peyton Manning on 46 TD passes, 2nd-most among active NFL QB-WR duos (107, Manning-Harrison)…is 62-834, 7 TDs in 12 career post-season outings…leads franchise in post-season TDs and is tied with Harrison for most receptions…also ranks 3rd in franchise post-season points with 44 (55, Adam Vinatieri; 54, Mike Vanderjagt), 1st among non-kickers.

can Bowe, or any of our WR's equal this??? maybe in time. but we're in one big hurry to put it all together right now

story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/28/mail/index.html?eref=twitter_feed)

• Kansas City. The Chiefs seem much more likely to build around Matt Cassel and a free-agent import to compete with him, and keep Jonathan Baldwin and Dwayne Bowe. But Peyton Manning can make teams do things they never foresaw.

chief31
03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Peyton Manning is not really a band-aid.

If you had Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers, you probably wind-up starting Peyton Manning.

okikcfan
03-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Tags have to be used by Monday, so kinda leaves one to wonder if Pioli has a plan......

Three7s
03-03-2012, 09:44 PM
If Wayne follows Manning along for the ride, like already said, the coaches would find a way.

If you noticed mid-way through the season, Baldwin was lining up at TE. Baldwin, certainly has the height and weight to be a TE, and while he would need to block much better, I could see it working. That would free up a spot at WR for Wayne and move Breaston into the slot.

Moeaki would get less time in 2 RB sets, but he'd still see plenty of snaps. If Wayne wants to come, I'd welcome him with open arms.