PDA

View Full Version : Saints franchise Brees, Nicks could hit free agency!

OPLookn
03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
New Orleans Saints tag Drew Brees with exclusive rights franchise tag - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7641895/new-orleans-saints-tag-drew-brees-exclusive-rights-franchise-tag)

So this is good news for us and hopefully we get to kick the tires on Nicks and make him an offer.

Jap, stop jumping up and down and get to working on contacting Pioli to discuss negotiations! ;)

okikcfan
03-03-2012, 06:43 PM
They line is busy!

TopekaRoy
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
This is very bad news for the Saints. They were hoping to close the deal on Brees so they could tag Nicks and sign Colston, or vice versa. Now without that option both are likely to hit the Free Agent market and instead of keeping both players they could end up with neither.

And now they could be in big trouble with this "bounty" scandal as well. ...

toyotapower
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
This offseason has the potential to be very good for us. Gotta open that check book Clark!

jap1
03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
If we sign Nicks, that really gives us options of what to do in the first round ... Namely trade down. We wouldn't NEED Decastro, and we could drop down to the end of the 1st round.

#58ChiefsFan
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Forget Manning lets spend money on someone we can keep.

jap1
03-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Forget Manning lets spend money on someone we can keep.

THIS!

#58ChiefsFan
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Pro Football Focus says he only had 12 pressures on over 700 pass plays and is a powerful run blocker as well.

70 chiefsfan70
03-03-2012, 08:37 PM
This would be awesome if we could sign him.

If it came down to us only being able to sign either Nicks or Manning this is a no brainer.

AussieChiefsFan
03-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Would be so awesome having Carl nicks!

slc chief
03-03-2012, 10:50 PM
they have to throw a large contract towards him.if he does become a free agent

jason1981
03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
we stil need to draft rt at#11 for who ever said we cod trade to later in the round. guard isnt our bivgest need. we cohld take a center in the second who could start if there is one and keep hudson at guard.

TopekaRoy
03-04-2012, 01:23 AM
we stil need to draft rt at#11 for who ever said we cod trade to later in the round. guard isnt our bivgest need. we cohld take a center in the second who could start if there is one and keep hudson at guard.

You know that's not such a bad idea. Last year the Bears signed FA Center Chris Spencer after they failed to reach an agreement with Olin Kruetz, but they started Roberto Garza at Center because he was more familiar with the offense. Spencer came in and played guard when other O-linemen got hurt. They had problems at other positions on the o-line (mostly due to injuries/lack of depth) but those two were solid.

A veteran Center could come in and we can keep Hudson at Guard and continue to groom him for the Center position, as you suggest. Or we could add a FA Center for depth and move him to guard if Hudson is ready to take over at Center.

It seems to me that the skill sets are very similar for both positions.

AkChief49
03-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Nicks? YES PLEASE!!!!!!

figcrostic
03-04-2012, 12:59 PM

I agree but there are also some good RT's in the free agency. Looks like we need two RT's unless we keep Sackardson.

jap1
03-04-2012, 07:38 PM

We could easily get a GOOD RT later in the 1st or even in the second. I would much rather trade down 5 or 10 spots and get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

My dream offseason would be getting Nicks and Soliai (NT, Miami), keeping Bowe and then drafting a RT and a lot of depth.

jap1
03-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree but there are also some good RT's in the free agency. Looks like we need two RT's unless we keep Sackardson.

I have heard there are not very many good RT in Free Agency this year. I wouldn't mind keeping Richardson as a backup.

toyotapower
03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
We could easily get a GOOD RT later in the 1st or even in the second. I would much rather trade down 5 or 10 spots and get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

My dream offseason would be getting Nicks and Soliai (NT, Miami), keeping Bowe and then drafting a RT and a lot of depth.

Yes, I only have one addition...... QB. Orton, manning, RGIII, etc. Doesn't matter who, someone who will push Cassell to either be better or be on the bench.

Chiefster
03-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, I only have one addition...... QB. Orton, manning, RGIII, etc. Doesn't matter who, someone who will push Cassell to either be better or be on the bench.

THIS!!!!

Jrudi
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I have heard there are not very many good RT in Free Agency this year. I wouldn't mind keeping Richardson as a backup.

You have heard correctly...Not a lot of talent, a bunch of depth players, over the hill players, and underachievers.

The only one worth taking a look at is Kareem McKenzie who is actually pretty old. The only reason I say him is because the Giants O-line coach came over to KC and McKenzie might be able to squeeze another year or two out of him