PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents?

KCCF
03-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I see a lot of these high profile people being released (Manning, Dallas Clark, Wayne, Brandon Jacobs, Nicks among others [sidenote also shopping Freeney]) and my thought is what is the realistic possibility of acquiring any of those guys and it being a legitimate addition?

With our cap who would be smart to go after? You think Manning and Wayne come as a combo? Do we make an aggressive bid for Nicks? Would a headache (usually) like Jacobs be worth a 3 year risk (it like Jones was)?

What do you guys think realistically could be possibilities? Eager for the chiefs to start making moves.

The Peytonator
03-10-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm pulling for you guys to get my guy. Bring in Wayne and Clark too. If Weigmann retires you might as well see if Saturday wants to hook up with his former teammates too.

There's no reason you guys fail to dominate the league next year.

AussieChiefsFan
03-10-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm pulling for you guys to get my guy. Bring in Wayne and Clark too. If Weigmann retires you might as well see if Saturday wants to hook up with his former teammates too.

There's no reason you guys fail to dominate the league next year.

Exactly. Thankyou :bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
I think you'll see the Chiefs grab Jacobs or Tolbert. I'm happy with either.

It's really tough to tell what could happen at this point. If they get Manning, all bets are off as to who they could sign and who would WANT to come here to play with this team. If they don't sign Manning, I think you'll see a cautious approach to free agency like you've seen over the last few years.

ctchiefsfan
03-10-2012, 12:27 PM
YUP! I think that a great deal of free agents are holding their breath waiting to see where Manning goes. Free agency is to a large extent "on hold" until Manning makes a decision.

jap1
03-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I think you'll see the Chiefs grab Jacobs or Tolbert. I'm happy with either.

It's really tough to tell what could happen at this point. If they get Manning, all bets are off as to who they could sign and who would WANT to come here to play with this team. If they don't sign Manning, I think you'll see a cautious approach to free agency like you've seen over the last few years.

I definitely se us getting either one of those guys or benjarvus green Ellis.

And yes, if you sign him (Peyton) they (free agents) will come.

AussieChiefsFan
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Steve Hutchinson was also just released. Maybe we get him if we can't get Nicks?

Jrudi
03-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't mind Dallas Clark...don't know what kind of money it would take, but we've been talking about needing another recieving TE besides Moeaki and he can block as well. If manning hasn't signed by next week and we grab him, might be some bait to lure him in. That would also add to our already scary skill positions

I've been high on Ladarius Green in the Draft, and am a firm believer in building throught the draft but I think a few FA additions this offseason could go along way.

I also wouldn't mind Curtis Lofton to pair with DJ who is more than likely on his way out the door in Atlanta because they just signed Lofa Tatupu.

As for RB....I don't want Jacobs (to much of a me-first atitude) Would love Tolbert, Bush, or Green-Ellis to pair with Charles. But also like the idea of adding a young RB in the draft like Vick Ballard, Chris Polk, Lamar Miller, or Brandon Bolden

AussieChiefsFan
03-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Yea itd be great to sign Dallas Clark. Good player and as you said, will help lure in Manning

KCCF
03-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Steve Hutchinson was also just released. Maybe we get him if we can't get Nicks?

The only thing with that is that he has been injured quite a bit the past few years. Hopefully hes stable.

AussieChiefsFan
03-11-2012, 05:41 AM
The only thing with that is that he has been injured quite a bit the past few years. Hopefully hes stable.

If he comes cheap he's still a good choice IMO

bricooper78
03-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Throw me down for Nicks and Clark!

toyotapower
03-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Pick up Carl Nicks, Paul Soliai and Ryan Tolbert. Re-sign Kyle Orton, Jovan Belcher and Jon Mcgraw. Draft Reilly Reiff or Jonathon Martin in the first round. Draft for depth after that. All of this equals a very succesful offseason. Draft quarterback of the future in the first round next year

josh1971
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Soliai is the free agent I'd like to see come in the most. That would be a nice upgrade to our D-line.

Nicks would be a nice upgrade as well.

AkChief49
03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Pick up Carl Nicks, Paul Soliai and Ryan Tolbert. Re-sign Kyle Orton, Jovan Belcher and Jon Mcgraw. Draft Reilly Reiff or Jonathon Martin in the first round. Draft for depth after that. All of this equals a very succesful offseason. Draft quarterback of the future in the first round next year

I like it a lot. If not Tolbert, then BGE will work for me. Or perhaps Jacobs.

OPLookn
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't mind Dallas Clark...don't know what kind of money it would take, but we've been talking about needing another recieving TE besides Moeaki and he can block as well. If manning hasn't signed by next week and we grab him, might be some bait to lure him in. That would also add to our already scary skill positions

I've been high on Ladarius Green in the Draft, and am a firm believer in building throught the draft but I think a few FA additions this offseason could go along way.

I also wouldn't mind Curtis Lofton to pair with DJ who is more than likely on his way out the door in Atlanta because they just signed Lofa Tatupu.

As for RB....I don't want Jacobs (to much of a me-first atitude) Would love Tolbert, Bush, or Green-Ellis to pair with Charles. But also like the idea of adding a young RB in the draft like Vick Ballard, Chris Polk, Lamar Miller, or Brandon Bolden

I don't know what it was but I watched several Indy games last year. Without Peyton throwing Clark the ball Clark has several games where he had "the dropsy" virus. Don't know if the guy was injured but unless Manning is here throwing him the ball I could deal without him. Especially if we have a healthy Moeaki.

Jrudi
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't know what it was but I watched several Indy games last year. Without Peyton throwing Clark the ball Clark has several games where he had "the dropsy" virus. Don't know if the guy was injured but unless Manning is here throwing him the ball I could deal without him. Especially if we have a healthy Moeaki.

Could be true...but I'd like to think that Cassel is a better QB than Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovski....

Thing is I am happy with Moeaki too (and I actually kinda forgot about how good he was haha), but we are needing another recieving TE besides Moeaki. We had 3 TE's on the roster last year with Oconnell who has never seemed to ammount to much, Becht, and now Maneri, wouldn't mind having Moeaki, Clark, and drafting a young guy like Ladarius Green in the draft. I know it's a lot of TE's but I think it REALLY hurt us this year not having that security blanket to dump the ball off to.

I think not having Moeaki hurt our offense just as much as not having Charles.

OPLookn
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
RT Eric Winston just got cut from the Houston Texans. He started every game at RT for all 5 years. Do you kick the tires and pull the trigger on this guy? If he works we can go after and get Nicks or Grubbs we've got our line shored up. Pick up a Soliai and we've just taken care of three of our top needed spots!

Oh am I fired up for free agency!

Edit: I stand corrected, 87 of 92 games started.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7678248/houston-texans-release-right-tackle-eric-winston

jap1
03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
RT Eric Winston just got cut from the Houston Texans. He started every game at RT for all 5 years. Do you kick the tires and pull the trigger on this guy? If he works we can go after and get Nicks or Grubbs we've got our line shored up. Pick up a Soliai and we've just taken care of three of our top needed spots!

Houston Texans release right tackle Eric Winston - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7678248/houston-texans-release-right-tackle-eric-winston)

I dont know much about him, but I know Houston had a good OL (both in running and pass blocking) and runs a zone blocking system like we do. Walterfootball has him rated as the 2nd best OT available behind Jared Gaither. I would rather take Winston and then draft DeCastro. Winston is probably going to cost a LOT less than Nicks. He was scheduled to make 5.5 mil this year. So, if you offer him 6, Im sure that he would take it. I think Nicks is looking at making closer to 8-10 million.

DeCastro is talked about as being one of the best guards in years, and that he will be one of the best for years to come. Yes 11 is a bit high to be taking a guard, but when it is one of the teams ONLY needs and he is one of the best in the draft, then you couldnt fault Pioli for doing so. And 11 is a bit high to be taking a RT anyway, so either way it is the same in the wash.

Cant wait to see what happens tomorrow.

OPLookn
03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I dont know much about him, but I know Houston had a good OL (both in running and pass blocking) and runs a zone blocking system like we do. Walterfootball has him rated as the 2nd best OT available behind Jared Gaither. I would rather take Winston and then draft DeCastro. Winston is probably going to cost a LOT less than Nicks. He was scheduled to make 5.5 mil this year. So, if you offer him 6, Im sure that he would take it. I think Nicks is looking at making closer to 8-10 million.

DeCastro is talked about as being one of the best guards in years, and that he will be one of the best for years to come. Yes 11 is a bit high to be taking a guard, but when it is one of the teams ONLY needs and he is one of the best in the draft, then you couldnt fault Pioli for doing so. And 11 is a bit high to be taking a RT anyway, so either way it is the same in the wash.

Cant wait to see what happens tomorrow.

I'd agree with that. Not to mention that Dallas is behind us at #14 and I've seen in many a mock that DeCastro goes to them. So it's not really that much of a stretch. Man would I love to draft him!

Ryfo18
03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Pioli need sto do whatever it takes to bring in Eric Winston to play RT. That would be a huge signing, and fill the Chiefs' biggest hole.

nigeriannightmare
03-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Pioli need sto do whatever it takes to bring in Eric Winston to play RT. That would be a huge signing, and fill the Chiefs' biggesti hole.

I must have been typing as u were posting....answers my question.

ctchiefsfan
03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Good to see us talking about something other than Manning.

AkChief49
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Good to see us talking about something other than Manning.
Manning? pshaw, he's old news:smile

AkChief49
03-12-2012, 10:18 PM
I like it a lot. If not Tolbert, then BGE will work for me. Or perhaps Jacobs.
Don't forget Bush is available as well. We'll be needing a big back.

chief31
03-13-2012, 10:54 PM

Matt Leinart, Eric Winston of Houston Texans say they've been released - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7678248/houston-texans-release-right-tackle-eric-winston)

Actually, he started in 87 of the 92 games he played in, but did not play in another four games.

So he started in 87 of his teams 96 games. But every game that he did not start was in his rookie season.

He has started in every game for The Texans in the last five seasons.

I remember him from the OT class of 2006. I would be real happy to add him this offseason, as I would have been then.

texaschief
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Pioli needs to make some improvements at the obvious positions that he has ignored since showing up in KC or I will officially be one of his detractors.

Something BIG needs to happen at NT and our Oline... QB wouldn't hurt either.

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Pioli needs to make some improvements at the obvious positions that he has ignored since showing up in KC or I will officially be one of his detractors.

Something BIG needs to happen at NT and our Oline... QB wouldn't hurt either.
Who is available at NT other than Soliai and Bunkley? Bunkley is a Donk and Soliai has been visiting, or has a visit scheduled with the Donks.

texaschief
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Free agency, trades, and the draft are all places Pioli can address the position. It's all about making the positions of priority A PRIORITY! You can't tell me that during the 4 offseasons that Pioli has been in charge and implementing the 3-4 defense that there hasn't been at least ONE NT which he could've brought in.

There's absolutely NO EXCUSE.

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Free agency, trades, and the draft are all places Pioli can address the position. It's all about making the positions of priority A PRIORITY! You can't tell me that during the 4 offseasons that Pioli has been in charge and implementing the 3-4 defense that there hasn't been at least ONE NT which he could've brought in.

There's absolutely NO EXCUSE.
I agree with you. Just asking who is available in the FA that would be an upgrade.

texaschief
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
You mean an upgrade over Gregg... who won't be here next year?

Soliai... Pioli keeps saving money... FOR WHAT??? Address a need! This guy is pissing me off.

One only needs to look at Denver and see how you're suppose to build a great defense. You don't do it by cutting corners at every possible position. Every now and then, you've gotta open the wallet and pay a guy... ESPECIALLY if you're not going to address the position in the draft!

Soliai isn't even a great fit in Denver's 4-3... but they're probably going to get him anyway. It's sickening. Pioli does nothing as a division rival gets better by taking the players we need.

Pioli is a pu$$y... too afraid to make a move to improve the team in fear of making the wrong move. What's the point in saving cap space if you're not going to use it? Maybe it goes all the way up to Hunt who has established an even lower salary cap for Pioli to work with because he doesn't want to spend money.

Either way, this front office needs to be run out if they don't start doing something to improve the team dramatically. There's no reason why a team like KC who SHOULD be gearing up for a deep playoff run would be sitting on all this cap space instead of improving the team.

If it takes overpaying on Soliai, then so be it... you've saved everywhere else on other positions like at CB so that you could be in position to overpay if need be.... IT'S TIME TO FIX THE NT POSITION!

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Looks like a steep fall off after Soliai(FA). So in the draft who do you like Poe, Brockers, Cox, Worthy, Still?

texaschief
03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
It should be Soliai. The players go where the money is. Pay him what it takes to bring him to KC. PERIOD. He's 26. The investment would represent the lowest possible risk. Yes, it's a big contract. BUT he's a proven player playing a position of need on your team. You COULD draft Poe, but it's going to take a few years for him to develop into the player you want him to be. The Chiefs are ready to win now and NEED a player like Soliai in his prime, ready to contribute full-time on a playoff team.

IMO, it's Soliai... THEN if you have money left over, you go get the best value for the dollars remaining.

KCraised
03-14-2012, 05:26 PM
It's really cool to watch all the other teams buying superstars. Wonder what that feels like???

texaschief
03-14-2012, 05:30 PM
We have a better team than Tampa and look what they did to improve their team.

This truly is pathetic.

ctchiefsfan
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I too want to see us make some MAJOR moves. We've got the cash and we're awful damned close to being a SERIOUS contender. We can't do it all at once, but Pioli/Hunt need to show they intend to win the weak AFC West and a playoff game or two this year.

But I don't think it is time to start lopping off heads just yet.

OPLookn
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
It should be Soliai. The players go where the money is. Pay him what it takes to bring him to KC. PERIOD. He's 26. The investment would represent the lowest possible risk. Yes, it's a big contract. BUT he's a proven player playing a position of need on your team. You COULD draft Poe, but it's going to take a few years for him to develop into the player you want him to be. The Chiefs are ready to win now and NEED a player like Soliai in his prime, ready to contribute full-time on a playoff team.

IMO, it's Soliai... THEN if you have money left over, you go get the best value for the dollars remaining.

Soliai is back to the Dolphins per initial reports. Nothing final though.

Scout.com: Paul Soliai Profile (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1167697&nid=5749121&fhn=1)

texaschief
03-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Grubbs and Winston are the only players left who could salvage this free agent period.

The only way I could see this hold that we're seeing by the Chiefs making sense is if they know something about Manning that nobody else knows. Otherwise, once again, the Chiefs are settling for mediocre hole-fillers.

KCraised
03-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Well, of course he is headed back to Miami. Thats our luck. I guess we need to just concentrate on the draft. Free agency is always a chore for the Pioli camp.
Come on, April!

texaschief
03-14-2012, 07:44 PM
2 years $12MM for Soliai... you're telling me we couldn't do better than that for a guy coming into his prime at a position of need??

Completely disgusted.

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Holding out hope for Winston now. C'mon Winston.....

jap1
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Holding out hope for Winston now. C'mon Winston.....

Me too. That would fill our biggest need this offseason. After that, there are few positions that we would need to upgrade at:

NT and maybe LG/OC

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Me too. That would fill our biggest need this offseason. After that, there are few positions that we would need to upgrade at:

NT and maybe LG/OC
We'll have to wait on Winston
Eric Winston's Visit With Chiefs Is Tomorrow - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/3/14/2872566/eric-winston-free-agent-kansas-city-chiefs)

jap1
03-14-2012, 08:09 PM
2 years $12MM for Soliai... you're telling me we couldn't do better than that for a guy coming into his prime at a position of need??

Completely disgusted.

I read somewhere it was 2y/$18 mil. Who knows.

More importantly, I also read that Denver offered him more than that, but he wanted to stay in his home in Miami.

jap1
03-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Here is a website where they grade each transaction. Some of it is funny, some of it is interesting. Enjoyable to read at the end of the day.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012recap.php

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Here is a website where they grade each transaction. Some of it is funny, some of it is interesting. Enjoyable to read at the end of the day.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012recap.php
that's funny stuff! LSD laced kielbasa grade! ha

Let's hope:

Chargers sign WR Robert Meachem (4 years, $25.9M; $14M guaranteed): MILLEN Grade
This might be the worst signing of the offseason. Robert Meachem has underachieved his entire career despite playing with one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. What makes the Chargers think that he'll finally live up to expectations with $14 million guaranteed in his bank account?

It's clear that A.J. Smith is overreacting to today's events. He lost Vincent Jackson, and watched all day as the receiving market dwindled away. That's why he overpaid for Meachem. I have a feeling he's going to regret this.

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Jaguars sign Chad Henne to push Blaine Gabbert | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/jaguars-sign-chad-henne-to-push-blaine-gabbert/)

Who will we sign now to push Casell?