PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tolbert to Chiefs: Why Ex-Charger Would Look Good in Kansas

AussieChiefsFan
03-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Just two years ago, the Chiefs had the best ground game in the NFL.
Last season, that all changed when Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles went down with an ACL injury in Week 2 against Detroit.
KC's rushing attack never recovered, as they struggled to find an adequate replacement for Charles and ended up finishing 15th in the league in rushing.
While Charles is set to make his return this season, Kansas City is stuck with a gaping hole at backup running back.
Veteran RBs Thomas Jones and Jackie Battle will likely not be retained this offseason, while third-year back Dexter McCluster isn't the type of bruiser that the Chiefs need to back up their best offensive player.
That's where FA running back Mike Tolbert enters the picture.
The former Charger rushed for 490 yards and eight touchdowns last season in a backup role for San Diego's offense.
At 5'9", 243 pounds, he would be the perfect thunder to the lightning that Jamaal Charles brings to the offensive attack.
At just 26 years old, he's still relatively young, and likely has many productive years ahead of him in the league.
As far as his contract goes, Tolbert made $1.8 million last season with the Chargers, and would likely be looking for a little more money once he hits the open market.
The former Coastal Carolina star could be looking at a deal in the neighborhood of two years for $6 million if the stars align for him and the Chiefs.
It doesn't matter how KC gets him, but this organization needs to find a way to bring him in to complement the speedy Charles in 2012.
Can you imagine how scary the Chiefs running game would be with both Charles and Tolbert in their backfield?
Very scary indeed.

Source (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1102025-mike-tolbert-to-chiefs-why-ex-charger-would-look-good-in-kansas-city)

N TX Dave
03-13-2012, 01:46 AM
This what I said on here about a month ago and I still think it is a good idea, I bet we would have more rushing TDs and more red zone TDs.

TopekaRoy
03-13-2012, 02:00 AM
This what I said on here about a month ago and I still think it is a good idea, I bet we would have more rushing TDs and more red zone TDs.

It sounds good to me. Less risk (but higher cost) than drafting a rookie. We need someone who can be counted on to get us 3 or 4 yards on third and 2. Jones used to be that guy but he wasn't last year, and he'll be released.

God knows we have the money. let's do it.