PDA

View Full Version : Orton, Campbell as backups?

Chief Concerns
03-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell each would have had a very good shot of taking the starting QB job from Matt "medriocrity is my middle name" Cassel. Both quickly signed on as backup QBs in Dallas and Chicago, respectively. So why do the Chiefs continue to "settle" for mediocrity in Matt Cassel? On any given day, it's a coin flip as to whether he'll play better than either one of these guys. If this doesn't prove to Pioli that he continues to have faith in a backup caliber QB, I'm not sure we don't see him play out his contract in KC. Be prepared for another 3 seasons of mediocrity. Let's hope Stanzi steps it up before long.

:kc:

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell each would have had a very good shot of taking the starting QB job from Matt "medriocrity is my middle name" Cassel. Both quickly signed on as backup QBs in Dallas and Chicago, respectively. So why do the Chiefs continue to "settle" for mediocrity in Matt Cassel? On any given day, it's a coin flip as to whether he'll play better than either one of these guys. If this doesn't prove to Pioli that he continues to have faith in a backup caliber QB, I'm not sure we don't see him play out his contract in KC. Be prepared for another 3 seasons of mediocrity. Let's hope Stanzi steps it up before long.

I'm holding on to hope for Stanzi

Chief Concerns
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
I think Stanzi is the QB of the future for the Chiefs. With that beibg said, I think he is still a season away from starting and I wouldn't expect him to start from day 1 of next season but rather to be slowly integrated into the role next season. So I think it will be 2014 before he takes over as starter, from day 1. Still hoping he just takes the job sooner, rather than later, though

TopekaRoy
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Everyone thought there was no way we would keep Orton because he wouldn't want to compete for a starting job. I guess we were half right. His signing with Dallas shows me he doesn't want to compete. He doesn't even care if he plays.

He just wants to get paid.

MissingTBone
03-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I believe with the weapons we have on offense he could be a good qb. 2 years ago he threw for close to 3700 yards with 27 tds and 7 int. our biggest problem is offensive line (as we all know). Give him protection, and a nasty run game (Charles/Hillis or Tolbert) he will strive. I know that was Charlie's system but he can be that good again. I just hope we get a decent back up which at this point is slim pickins. I'm still waiting on a signing at all at this point!! Not saying we should overpay for anyone but you have to spend money to obtain quality players.

AkChief49
03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I believe with the weapons we have on offense he could be a good qb. 2 years ago he threw for close to 3700 yards with 27 tds and 7 int. our biggest problem is offensive line (as we all know). Give him protection, and a nasty run game (Charles/Hillis or Tolbert) he will strive. I know that was Charlie's system but he can be that good again. I just hope we get a decent back up which at this point is slim pickins. I'm still waiting on a signing at all at this point!! Not saying we should overpay for anyone but you have to spend money to obtain quality players.

They should start sending someone to meet these guys at the airport so they can at least talk to them!(see John Carlson):D

N TX Dave
03-14-2012, 07:08 PM

I am beginning to think that maybe no one does want to come to KC to play I mean look at how many won't come or even talk to us before signing somewhere else. It is kind of depressing here I set in Dallas and watch the Chiefs coming here and never leaning before they sign. This are what the Chiefs are getting from the FA right now :whipping1:

#58ChiefsFan
03-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Everyone thought there was no way we would keep Orton because he wouldn't want to compete for a starting job. I guess we were half right. His signing with Dallas shows me he doesn't want to compete. He doesn't even care if he plays.

100% agree. Gotta rep that.

Ryfo18
03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I've always gotten the vibe from Orton that his ideal job is holding a clipboard on the sideline.

SBV_Eagle_Bull
03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Matt Cassel has this year to prove himself... he may only have 3 or 4 games to prove himself. Romeo is a guy who likes to see productivity, he said it himself, so if he doesnt produce, then he rides the pine. With that being said, Orton and Cambell both knew, that taking Matts job from him was no easy task, so much work that they both decided to become back ups...LOL go CHIEFS:chiefs: we should keep Thomas Jones for 1 more year

TopekaRoy
03-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Or maybe we didnt offer him any money, we arent known to spend money in FA

You're right. Maybe we didn't.

Maybe we didn't offer him any money because we knew he wasn't willing to put in the effort to beat out Cassel for the staring job. If that's the case, then we were right.

If Orton is happy to just sit on the bench and wait for Romo to get injured (and you know sooner or later, he will) then I don't want that guy on my team.

Look, he asked the Broncos to release him as soon as he found out Cutler was injured, because he knew he would be just handed the staring job over Caleb Hanie. But his plan backfired. Pioli recognized an opportunity to pick up a decent QB and snatched him up. And I don't deny that he is a decent QB. I wanted to keep him to compete (and probably beat out) Cassel for the starting job, but in light of this signing it's clear that he didn't want to compete.

The signs were all there. I just misinterpreted them.

Chiefster
03-15-2012, 02:47 AM

...THIS!

ctchiefsfan
03-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Matt Cassel has this year to prove himself...

You may have a very good point. This may be a "do it or lose it" season for Cassel.

If he doesn't produce in a big way this year I can see him "hitting the bricks" in 2013 and wishing he could get a job like Orton just did.

Canada
03-15-2012, 10:20 AM

:kc:So you dont like mediocrity and your solution to that was to get castoffs from Denver and/or Oakland?? Two guys who have signed as backups?? those are the QBs you want?? Might as well stick with Cassel.

dbolan
03-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Sorry Roy, but I have to disagree with you on this one.

I think he wants to compete but not in KC. I think if he was offered a good contract he would have taken it. On the flip side of this...Yes, Romo will prbably get hurt and what bigger stage to have in the NFL than the Cowboys and get paid?

On another note...If i was Orton and witnessed the Chiefs brass sniffing at Mannings jock-strap by having a contract in hand right at the start of the FA gates, I would go where my best opportunity awaits.

To say that the guy does not even care to play is a stretch. He has been tossed around like second hand garbage even though he has OUT PERFORMED any of the QB's that have been on his team over the years.

TopekaRoy
03-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Sorry Roy, but I have to disagree with you on this one.

I think he wants to compete but not in KC. I think if he was offered a good contract he would have taken it. On the flip side of this...Yes, Romo will prbably get hurt and what bigger stage to have in the NFL than the Cowboys and get paid?

On another note...If i was Orton and witnessed the Chiefs brass sniffing at Mannings jock-strap by having a contract in hand right at the start of the FA gates, I would go where my best opportunity awaits.

To say that the guy does not even care to play is a stretch. He has been tossed around like second hand garbage even though he has OUT PERFORMED any of the QB's that have been on his team over the years.

That all sounds logical, but then why didn't he go to a team that really needs a starting QB? Do you think none of those teams were willing to give him as much as Dallas? I don't blame anyone for taking the best offer, that's just good business.

You said it yourself. He knows Romo will get hurt at some point and he will be handed the starting job, at least temporarily. He doesn't have to "compete" for it. Or do you think that Orton believes Cassel is a better QB than Romo, so he has a better chance of winning the starting job in Dallas? (kidding!)

This way he doesn't have to put in all the effort of starting every week, but he still gets paid and still gets his moment in the limelight.

I just don't think that's the kind of "team player" that we need at this point.

dbolan
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
That all sounds logical, but then why didn't he go to a team that really needs a starting QB? Do you think none of those teams were willing to give him as much as Dallas? I don't blame anyone for taking the best offer, that's just good business.

You said it yourself. He knows Romo will get hurt at some point and he will be handed the starting job, at least temporarily. He doesn't have to "compete" for it. Or do you think that Orton believes Cassel is a better QB than Romo, so he has a better chance of winning the starting job in Dallas? (kidding!)

This way he doesn't have to put in all the effort of starting every week, but he still gets paid and still gets his moment in the limelight.

I just don't think that's the kind of "team player" that we need at this point.

Well, who really knows for sure, eh? Mayeb he did not like it in KC and/or maybe KC did not like him that much as well.

One thing for sure though....I think a greater portion of us wanted to keep him and it did make sense in several key ways to do so.

However, what's done is done and at this point, I hope Stanzi can bring it!

ctchiefsfan
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
This situation makes me even more pished off that Stanzi never got a shot last year after Cassel was hurt. So here we've got Cassel, Stanzi (a complete unknown to the fans) and at least for now nobody else. WTF????

TopekaRoy
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Well, who really knows for sure, eh? Mayeb he did not like it in KC and/or maybe KC did not like him that much as well.

One thing for sure though....I think a greater portion of us wanted to keep him and it did make sense in several key ways to do so.

However, what's done is done and at this point, I hope Stanzi can bring it!

Now on this we can both agree. Nobody knows for sure why any FA chooses another team over the Chiefs, unless they come right out and say so, and most players won't talk negatively about another organization.

I really was hoping to keep Orton, too, but it seemed unlikely from the start. Hopefully we can still find someone even better. I'm not really sure who that would be at this point ...

AkChief49
03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Now on this we can both agree. Nobody knows for sure why any FA chooses another team over the Chiefs, unless they come right out and say so, and most players won't talk negatively about another organization.

I really was hoping to keep Orton, too, but it seemed unlikely from the start. Hopefully we can still find someone even better. I'm not really sure who that would be at this point ...

I posted this in another thread-

what about Garrard. I know he's coming off a back surgery, but is there realistically anyone left that could push Casell? I doubt we even sniff Flynn.

ctchiefsfan
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Exactly! Management has paid a lot of lip service to getting some competition at the QB spot, but unless they know something about Stanzi that we don't then they have done damned little about making it happen.

TopekaRoy
03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Health wise, Garrard has as many question marks as Peyton Manning, but without the huge potential upside.

Still, he has done some good things in the past and I wouldn't mind taking a look at him. If he has recovered fully he could be a solid back-up.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't hate the idea.

KristofLaw
03-15-2012, 05:12 PM
I'd have to say that most qb's and subsequently most gm's are waiting on what happens with Manning's signing and subsequently who else possibly becomes available, so, Orton's quick signing with Dallas was a good quick under the radar move on his and his agents part, but that's just my impression and guesstimation on it.

chief31
03-15-2012, 09:43 PM
This situation makes me even more pished off that Stanzi never got a shot last year after Cassel was hurt. So here we've got Cassel, Stanzi (a complete unknown to the fans) and at least for now nobody else. WTF????

Completely unknown to the fans...... and completely unknown to the rest of The NFL.