PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs and Character Profiling

colonelp76
03-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Hi everyone. Im a new NFL fan from England and I'm currently without an NFL team. Given that I don't have any particular connections to the USA I have decided to choose a team based on certain personal criteria. Recently I've read about the importance the Chiefs place on character assessment and I really like the idea of this, based on the notion that it will instill a good team work ethic and possibly generate role models for the future. I respect teams who don't make headlines for the wrong reasons and are known for being honest and hard working (i.e. likeable). I also like the fact the Chiefs are a smaller market team without the large volume of fans like some of the 'bigger' teams. So far I have discovered that both the Chiefs and the Falcons are strong on the character profiling philosophy and I'm just waiting to find out something that separates the two teams for me. I realise I'm posting this in a Chiefs forum but that's partly because Chiefs fans have a decent and knowledgeable reputation, so I'm sure I will get a helpful response. Basically, what factors get considered by Pioli in terms of team selection and can you influence my support either way? Sorry for the length of this and thanks for reading.

Chiefster
03-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I think you definitely are considering the best team in the NFL, but I'm a Chiefs fan and a bit bias in their favor. :lol:

The best person I can think of to ask this question to is Connie Jo; a well known and respected member of this sight, and someone who has first hand insights into the Chiefs administration. However, I will say this: that I believe the Chiefs take the character high road, so to speak, almost to their detriment. I hope you become a Chiefs fan, it is a team rich in professional football history. Without it's original owner Lamar Hunt (RIP) the NFL as we know it today does not exist. Google Lamar and read up on the teams history and I'll trust that you'll make the right decision. :smile

chiefnut
03-28-2012, 08:40 AM
I have been a CHIEFS fan since 1960. The main reason i have remained loyal all these years is the Hunt family seems to instill a family atmosphere into the team itself. Unlike many teams [ie raiders] the CHIEFS have never had a reputation of being a nasty or dirty team but rather just a bunch of guys playing hard in the heartland of America. Even the CHIEFS fans have a more hospitable reputation than nearly the rest of the NFL, for visiting fans that is. They have earned the title of the best tailgating stadium in the league. I whole heartedly agree w/Chiefster that you should post to or PM ConnieJo to get the best skinny on what is best about the CHIEFS management and fans.

chiefnut
03-28-2012, 09:42 AM
another good read for you is in the Kansas City Star, go to kansascity.com click on sports then read "Pioli keeping an eye on Iowa hawkeyes"

Jrudi
03-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Not only do the Chiefs place an emphasis on Character when choosing who to add to the team player wise, our coach is one of the most respectable/ high character men, I believe in the NFL.

I got the chance to meet Romeo and his wife about a month ago at an event, and he was the most humble down-to-earth person I think I have ever met (not saying that just because he is a coach either). When you meet someone of that position, you expect them to talk "just because the are expected to" and to not really pay close attention, or converse back...

Not the case! Romeo made my wife and I feel like we were friends, we had a lengthy conversation with him, and he was just so honest, and personable (not to mention respectful).

I think meeting him, reassured me of how proud I am to be a Chiefs Fan, and to know that I am rooting for someone who believes in the right things.

I'll tell you, if I would have met him, and he'd been rude, I would have a hard time continuing to root for the Chiefs.

Just another reason you can be proud if you decide to root for the Chiefs (the guy in charge deserves to succeed, and I think he is the one that can take us to our next long awaited championship)

colonelp76
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Thankyou for your great replies so far. I will definitely follow up your advice in terms of further reading and suggestions. I will be looking into that later on when i get a chance to sit down. In the meantime all responses are appreciated :)

pojote
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey, if a Chilean can become a Chiefs fan, why can't a British?

If you can, please read what happened to LJ, I won't say his name, but you can read about it here: LJ in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Johnson_(American_football)).
He needed just 75 yards to be all time Chiefs rushing leader, but the organization didn't let him for his detrimental conduct.

Just an example.

eggersonian
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
The Chiefs are a great pick. Right now especially as the team is on the verge of becoming a very good team once again. Could be very enjoyable not only for fans who have followed the team for decades but also for new ones.

eggersonian
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Just a "bit" biased...lol

TopekaRoy
03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I grew up in the Chicago area and have been a lifelong Bears fan. They are another team with a reputation for drafting high-character, hard working guys. The owner Virginia McCaskey, is the daughter of George "Papa Bear" Halas, who founded the NFL. She is so conservative that she won't even allow the Bears to have cheerleaders, because it is "unseemly" and not "family-friendly!"

That is why, when I moved to the Kansas City area in 1998, it was so easy for me to become a Chiefs fan. The Chiefs were owned by Lamar Hunt who founded the American Football League which later merged with the NFL as the AFC. He passed away a few years ago, but his son Clark Hunt has carried on his ideals for acquiring players with high character and good morals, who work hard and understand what it means to be part of a team.

Beyond that, the Chiefs are going about building a very good team the right way; through solid drafting and by staying away from superstar "divas" who would be a disruption in the locker room.

The fans are the best and the most passionate in the NFL, and that's not just my opinion. Most sports media outlets consistently rank Chiefs fans in the top 3 or 5. There is something special about people in the Heartland of America--their values, work ethic, friendliness and hospitality is second to none--and that is reflected in the team.

The Chiefs are getting better. You couldn't pick a better team to root for, you couldn't pick a better fan base to become a part of, and you couldn't pick a better time to become a Chiefs fan.

colonelp76
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow, you guys haven't let me down with your insight and passion for the team. I've read the Kansas City Star article and that reassures me even more that Pioli is the real deal when it comes to considering future prospects...interesting that they even look at the size of someones hands! Fit for purpose and all that. I also looked at the wikipedia entry of LJ, who I was aware of but I must admit I hadn't realised the amount of negative incidents he was invovled in.
Awesome replies, especially TopekaRoy in relation to your switch from the Bears but finding the Chiefs with the same high standards that you liked. Cheers

Connie Jo
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi everyone. Im a new NFL fan from England and I'm currently without an NFL team. Given that I don't have any particular connections to the USA I have decided to choose a team based on certain personal criteria. Recently I've read about the importance the Chiefs place on character assessment and I really like the idea of this, based on the notion that it will instill a good team work ethic and possibly generate role models for the future. I respect teams who don't make headlines for the wrong reasons and are known for being honest and hard working (i.e. likeable). I also like the fact the Chiefs are a smaller market team without the large volume of fans like some of the 'bigger' teams. So far I have discovered that both the Chiefs and the Falcons are strong on the character profiling philosophy and I'm just waiting to find out something that separates the two teams for me. I realise I'm posting this in a Chiefs forum but that's partly because Chiefs fans have a decent and knowledgeable reputation, so I'm sure I will get a helpful response. Basically, what factors get considered by Pioli in terms of team selection and can you influence my support either way? Sorry for the length of this and thanks for reading.

Hello, colonelp76...

First, I want to thank Chiefster for directing me to your question by posting a link on my FB wall. In a few minutes I'll return to discuss your query further, as currently I'm about to eat some dinner. Be back shortly. :)

TopekaRoy
03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Awesome replies, especially TopekaRoy in relation to your switch from the Bears but finding the Chiefs with the same high standards that you liked. Cheers

Thanks, Colonel, but there was no switch. The Bears are still my favorite team, but the Chiefs are a very close 2nd! Because they are in different conferences, they only play each other once every four years, so I have no problem rooting hard for both teams! :D

Connie Jo
03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I must say this is the first time I've been asked to 'solicit' my beloved Chiefs to a potential new fan, hahaha. Please don't apologize for 'length' of post, as I asssure you, no one posts lengthier ones than I do, hahaha. I'm a person of detail & depth in all aspects, especially when a subject is one I'm passionate about. I also speak, or write, from my heart, so here it is;

My dad became a Chiefs fan in 1963 when they arrived in Kansas City...I was 7 yrs. old back then. I was raised a Chiefs fan, and don't know life without the Chiefs being a part of it in one aspect or another. I didn't choose the Chiefs as my NFL team, they more or less chose me in a natural hereditary manner, hahaha. I've remained a loyal Chiefs fan through adulthood for two reasons. The first; because the Chiefs are a very part of who I naturally am as a person...being a Chiefs fan for me personally is more than a hobby, or pastime...it's literally a way of life, a lifestyle.

Secondly, I remain a fan by choice for many of the reasons you've defined; franchise integrity. Our KC Chiefs franchise founder, Lamar Hunt (RIP), set not only a franchise example of integrity decades ago, but set such an example for the entire NFL. To this day, the honorable & admirable Lamar Hunt is highly respected among all associated with the NFL corporate umbrella...BOD's, CEO's, owners, GM's, coaches, players, & beyond. No single man was more influential, nor more important to the history of NFL as we've come to know it, than Lamar Hunt. Lamar being our franchise founder/owner, as well as founder of the AFL, in itself sets the Chiefs franchise apart from all others. If you have the time, I suggest you research the history of the AFL, The KC Chiefs, and Lamar Hunt. There is a very justified & admirable reason the AFC Championship Trophy is named in honor of our KC Chiefs legendary founder/owner. :)

Further setting us apart...the Chiefs fanbase is considered by many so called analysts, or experts, to be the most loyal in the NFL. Our fanbase is also considered to be among, if not #1, the friendliest among the NFL. We rarely have serious incidents of violence by comparison to that of other fanbases. Although all teams have rogue fans, we have less than a majority of other fanbases. As you said referenced yourself..."Chiefs fans have a decent and knowledgeable reputation."

Lamar Hunt also instilled within the fanbase a sense of respect for our franchise history & AFL orgins. No other franchise appears to be on the same level of respect for our history & orgins than that of the Chiefs. You may wish to visit www.kcchiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com) to view "The Hall of Honor" inside of Arrowhead Stadium, which is an honorable tribute to our franchise history, as well, AFL orgins. Our beautiful Arrowhead Stadium is unlike any other, it is unique in history & traditions.

Relating to Scott Pioli...although I've personally met and conversed with him one on one, I can't define in depth what factors are considered by him personally when building a team. With exception of the obvious of course...athletic talent & ability, personality traits such as dedication, team committment, work ethic, & so on. I do know Scott Pioli expects no more, or less, from any one within the Chiefs franchise than that of himself. He's not one for 'double standards', & believes in setting an example as an influence to follow, just as Lamar did. He runs a tight ship, as he should. :)

Not sure what more I can add, other than the colors RED & GOLD are the most attractive and outstanding in the NFL, hahaha. ;)

Connie Jo
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
I think you definitely are considering the best team in the NFL, but I'm a Chiefs fan and a bit bias in their favor. :lol:

The best person I can think of to ask this question to is Connie Jo; a well known and respected member of this sight, and someone who has first hand insights into the Chiefs administration. However, I will say this: that I believe the Chiefs take the character high road, so to speak, almost to their detriment. I hope you become a Chiefs fan, it is a team rich in professional football history. Without it's original owner Lamar Hunt (RIP) the NFL as we know it today does not exist. Google Lamar and read up on the teams history and I'll trust that you'll make the right decision. :smile

Thank you for your kind words and praise, although I don't feel worthy of such, it is appreciated. :D

colonelp76
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
TopekaRoy- thanks for the correction. I must admit the Bears will also be my second team. I first tuned into NFL in 1985 when it came to our tv screens and obviously it was the Bears who I was most exposed to. I didnt want to choose them though purely because I like the idea of a respectable small market team, hence me shortlisting the Chiefs and Falcons.
Connie, thanks for your detailed reply. I already have the sense that you are all very welcolming fan base and thats a nice feeling. In all fairness though I will pose a similar question to the Falcons fans and see how they respond.
I do like what I have heard so far though and I feel like I need to read up more on Lamarr so that I can better appreciate the vision of the Chiefs that he was looking for. Its also great that the franchise is still in family hands. On the whole would you say that the individuals that make up the team are a likeable bunch? So often I read about clubs whose players are either Divas, getting in trouble or simply carrying an enormous ego. So far the only minor criticism I have read about was Baldwin's punching injury from last season but there again I can't expect any team to be perfect. Thanks

Eydugstr
03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Welcome to the forum! If you're ever across the pond, and venture this far west, come try the BBQ. You could've picked anyone but hey you picked KC!

As far as character goes, during the first couple of years Pioli was here he drafted players that had leadership creditentials. When the Joplin tornadoes struck, many Chiefs players and coaches went down to help out. Our current QB went out of his way, and at much personal risk to let a family know their house caught fire. As a team it says a lot. We've had a few bad apples over the years, but for the most part they didn't last long.

As to our market...Arrowhead has been one of the loudest open top stadiums for years. The AFC west is an absolute dogfight year after year. Many sports teams come and go in this area, but the Chiefs still remain. Kansas City is definitely a football town. Many times if the stadium isn't sold out, local radio stations buy the tickets and host contests to give them away, so million or so people in the surrounding area can still watch the game and not be affected by NFL tv blackout rules.

:chiefs:

TopekaRoy
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
So far the only minor criticism I have read about was Baldwin's punching injury from last season but there again I can't expect any team to be perfect. Thanks

Baldwin came in with a sense of "entitlement" and the team knew when they drafted him that could be an issue. They felt that his potential was too great to pass up and that the strong leadership in the locker room would turn him around.

As it turned out, he did need an "attitude adjustment" and Thomas Jones was just the person to give it to him! He (Jones) did the same thing to Cedric Benson when he came in to the league as a Bear. Benson was a little more hard headed than Baldwin and the Bears eventually let him go. He now plays for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Since Baldwin's hand has healed, as far as we know, he has been a model teammate. He works hard and seems to know his place and his role as a Chief. So in this case, the strong leadership of the Chiefs has turned him around. We expect big things from Baldwin this year and I think he will deliver.

AussieChiefsFan
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
If you choose to become a Chiefs fan you definately wont regret it

Chiefster
03-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Thank you for your kind words and praise, although I don't feel worthy of such, it is appreciated. :D

You're welcome kiddo! And, you are absolutely "worthy of such". :smile

Chiefster
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
TopekaRoy- thanks for the correction. I must admit the Bears will also be my second team. I first tuned into NFL in 1985 when it came to our tv screens and obviously it was the Bears who I was most exposed to. I didnt want to choose them though purely because I like the idea of a respectable small market team, hence me shortlisting the Chiefs and Falcons.
Connie, thanks for your detailed reply. I already have the sense that you are all very welcolming fan base and thats a nice feeling. In all fairness though I will pose a similar question to the Falcons fans and see how they respond.
I do like what I have heard so far though and I feel like I need to read up more on Lamarr so that I can better appreciate the vision of the Chiefs that he was looking for. Its also great that the franchise is still in family hands. On the whole would you say that the individuals that make up the team are a likeable bunch? So often I read about clubs whose players are either Divas, getting in trouble or simply carrying an enormous ego. So far the only minor criticism I have read about was Baldwin's punching injury from last season but there again I can't expect any team to be perfect. Thanks

As you read up on Lamar please note that he started out in Dallas Texas and called his team the Texans, it was after his move to Kansas City that he called his team the Chiefs. Just personal opinion but I believe the current squad represents players that are extremely likeable and they make up a team that is very easy to root for. :yahoo:

tornadospotter
03-30-2012, 01:55 AM
colonelp76, There is not much I could add, other than say not only are the Kansas City Chiefs one of the greatest if not the greatest ( kinda bias here) franchises in the NFL! The Chiefs have the Greatest Stadium in the NFL, Arrowhead! The fan experience is outstanding. You should go to a game at Arrowhead. You will love it. Now with all that said, all I can add is Welcome to the Chiefs Crowd! Home of the Chiefs!

:welcome:

colonelp76
03-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Well I must admit I've been very entertained reading all your replies and I have quite a bit of reading to do. However I now know enough to say that The Chiefs are going to be my team (with a soft spot for Chicago). I think there is a nice aura around the team and fans, and I really didnt pick that up with the Falcons. I guess what Im saying is my gut feel is with The Chiefs. Thanks for all your input and I will now enjoy the process of learning all about them. PS- I also kept thinking about all the good Bbq I might miss out on if I went with the Falcons :)

jap1
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Well I must admit I've been very entertained reading all your replies and I have quite a bit of reading to do. However I now know enough to say that The Chiefs are going to be my team (with a soft spot for Chicago). I think there is a nice aura around the team and fans, and I really didnt pick that up with the Falcons. I guess what Im saying is my gut feel is with The Chiefs. Thanks for all your input and I will now enjoy the process of learning all about them. PS- I also kept thinking about all the good Bbq I might miss out on if I went with the Falcons :)

Welcome to the Crowd! :bananen_smilies046:

drstandley31
03-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Great Character.... I guess that's the reason I've been a fan since '68. I knew it was something. If you ever make it to the states and go to Arrowhead to a game, you'll know all you need to know. With the exception of Greenbay (which is a distant second!!!) you'll never have an American football experience like it.

Chiefster
03-30-2012, 11:54 PM

You sir, have made the right choice! Welcome aboard! :yahoo:

AkChief49
04-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Yet another reason we bleed red.........and gold!