PDA

View Full Version : Bowe And Breaston:Breakout Year?

azchiefsfan
04-07-2012, 12:01 PM
It appears, since Bowe is still in scarlet and gold, that Hunt has broken a team precedent and franchised a skill player to keep and not trade. Now that we are going to have Bowe and Breaston and a beefed up offensive line, do you think they will have a huge year this year? I will admit that I am actually now as excited as I was in '10 with our offense. We should have a legitimate run game and now two of the best receivers in the game today. I think we have a real shot at, gasp!, a run for the Super Bowl, if Cassel can be consistent and play clutch ball like he did 4 or 5 games last year and most of '10 season. Is anyone else thinking we will have a big throwing game this year?

DMN
04-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I ultimately think no. Not to be a negative nancy but Cassels inability to cycle his progressions is unbelievably bad. With the addition of Hillis, boss, and mostly Daboll I think we will be a run first short yardage offense.

I hope I am wrong and definitely think our O can be great this season. But right now and with Cassels roller coaster time in KC, for me it is wait and see. (and I didn't mean for that to rhyme, But it worked out.)

:troll31:

beaver25
04-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I think Baldwin will step it up this year. Which will open Bowe up. Breaston and Moeaki will impact the short-medium range helping our 3rd down conversions. I'm excited about this season. Cassel's last chance to shine.

azchiefsfan
04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
His one and only Pro Bowl season was with Matt Cassel under center. Let's keep this on the receivers and what strengths and weaknesses will help or hurt their performance. Some people think Matt Cassel will be a hindrance, noted. Let's discuss other areas of the game and the receivers themselves. There's already an "I hate Matt Cassel" thread going.

beaver25
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Agreed. I'm equally excited to Baldwin progress as I am to see Bowe have another pro bowl season.

azchiefsfan
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Unless there is a dramatic change of scheme, I can't see Baldwin ever being more than the niche receiver he has been. He is tall, but not so terribly athletic. Not too fast and rarely has attempted any kind of acrobatic pass. I think this year Bowe and Breaston open up the passing game and catch fire. I think we'll see more running, but also much more emphasis on the long ball. That's what the last 3 games last year showed anyway. I know a lot of people were saying it was because of Orton. I think it was a preview of Crennel's more aggressive offensive scheme.

underdawg87
04-08-2012, 01:33 PM
With what looks to be a very solid defense lined up, and with the acquisitions that we have made in FA, it seems to me that our offense will be mostly run oriented. That being said, a good running game sets up the PA pass which is actually one of Cassel's stronger points so they should put up decent numbers, but nothing like Saints, Packers, or Patriots will put up.

Three7s
04-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Unless there is a dramatic change of scheme, I can't see Baldwin ever being more than the niche receiver he has been. He is tall, but not so terribly athletic. Not too fast and rarely has attempted any kind of acrobatic pass. I think this year Bowe and Breaston open up the passing game and catch fire. I think we'll see more running, but also much more emphasis on the long ball. That's what the last 3 games last year showed anyway. I know a lot of people were saying it was because of Orton. I think it was a preview of Crennel's more aggressive offensive scheme.
You know that Crennel has been adamant about saying he's staying out of the offense right?

ctchiefsfan
04-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Some people say you have to run the ball to set up the passing game. Others say you should pass the ball to open up the running game. IMO our management's philosophy is the former, not the latter. Assuming JC is up to speed, I expect to see a run oriented offense that enables us to have a limited but VERY successful passing game.

AkChief49
04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
You know that Crennel has been adamant about saying he's staying out of the offense right?
I hope so. These last couple years give credence to "too many cooks spoil the soup":D

TopekaRoy
04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Some people say you have to run the ball to set up the passing game. Others say you should pass the ball to open up the running game. IMO our management's philosophy is the former, not the latter. Assuming JC is up to speed, I expect to see a run oriented offense that enables us to have a limited but VERY successful passing game.

You need to be able to both well in order to be successful. If you can only do one or the other, a good defense will find a way to shut you down. It's that "balance" that makes a team difficult to defend.

There is almost no such thing as a "run oriented" offense anymore in the NFL. In 2010, we lead the NFL in rushing and gained 2627 yds on 556 attempts. Even so, we still threw the ball 475 times (46% of the time) and gained more yards (3189) though the air.

Passing plays will (or should) always be more efficient on a yds per play basis than rushing plays, but it was our strong running game that allowed us to pass the ball as well as we did. When we say "run oriented" offense we really mean "balanced" offense, and that is the type of offense that will allow the Chiefs to be very successful this year.

chiefnut
04-08-2012, 07:45 PM
if we take decastro i think this will be awfully good offense and even tho i don't consider cassel a great QB even he can direct this offense to 3000+ yds passing and 2000+ yds rushing

OPLookn
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM

I have to admit I was about to light up your thread because of your knock on Baldwin but then I noticed the word "rarely". Baldwin had that amazing catch last year that was thrown out because of a stupid penalty. You remember that one? The Denver safety had been burned and the pass was under thrown. The Denver safety decides to just run up to Baldwin as he's slowing down. Baldwin reaches up under the safeties arms and catches the ball.

If that isn't acrobatic enough for you then I'm not sure what would be. Baldwin was a rookie receiver that didn't have a training camp because of the lock out, had to sit out first due to injury and then because of Haley and then when he got in contributed to the team. He'll get better and I can see him equaling if not replacing Bowe if he's allowed to flourish. Can he still bust or be a niche player, sure. But throwing a title on him this early in his career is pointless. I think Jerry Rice had the same things said about him too...no I am NOT comparing him to Rice.

chief31
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM

I agree. But, until you get both up and going, where each opens things up for the other, you are reliant on the one aspect.

That is what I pin most of our offensive failure in 2011 on. We were reliant on the running game to open up the offense, and the running game got a flat tire right away.

And we did not change that offensive philosophy, despite the the flat.

We continued to try and base our passing game off of the success of the running game. And it didn't happen.

Subversion
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Are we talking about the same Baldwin here? Baldwin was drafted in the first round ONLY because of his athleticism! He has a 42 inch vertical and ran a 4.4! That's not very slow for a receiver of his size (6'5). What exactly is his "niche" role? IMO he is the same type of receiver as Bowe with better attributes. The only thing that will hold is career back is his attitude and a weak armed QB (coughCasselcough)

Hayvern
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM

It is all based on the quality of your personnel. If you have the receivers and a good QB, then you would likely be a pass-first to open the running game offense.

However, this is not the Chiefs and will not be the Chiefs again this year. The Chiefs's strength is on the ground provided that Charles comes back in full form. With that, teams have to respect the run which opens up our weaker passing game.

If you are well rounded, then you have to plan each game according to the strengths of the defense you face. We do not get that opportunity and is what kills us against good run defense teams. A team with a good run defense will shut us down in a quick fashion because we do not have the passing game to make them pay for that.

azchiefsfan
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I have to admit I was about to light up your thread because of your knock on Baldwin but then I noticed the word "rarely". Baldwin had that amazing catch last year that was thrown out because of a stupid penalty. You remember that one? The Denver safety had been burned and the pass was under thrown. The Denver safety decides to just run up to Baldwin as he's slowing down. Baldwin reaches up under the safeties arms and catches the ball.

If that isn't acrobatic enough for you then I'm not sure what would be. Baldwin was a rookie receiver that didn't have a training camp because of the lock out, had to sit out first due to injury and then because of Haley and then when he got in contributed to the team. He'll get better and I can see him equaling if not replacing Bowe if he's allowed to flourish. Can he still bust or be a niche player, sure. But throwing a title on him this early in his career is pointless. I think Jerry Rice had the same things said about him too...no I am NOT comparing him to Rice.

I hope he can be the threat that he was supposed to be, but I suspect his marginal performance is why Hunt made the decision to franchise Bowe. It gives Baldwin a chance to mature and it gives the team another year to see if he can. You know the whole "bird in the hand" argument.

OPLookn
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I hope he can be the threat that he was supposed to be, but I suspect his marginal performance is why Hunt made the decision to franchise Bowe. It gives Baldwin a chance to mature and it gives the team another year to see if he can. You know the whole "bird in the hand" argument.

My thought is that Bowe was franchised as you said to see what we have in Baldwin. We all know that WR's are another group that can take a year or two to get into the swing of things. As much as I like Bowe he drops to many passes when games are on the line (see the Raiders game that could have got us to the playoffs again). It also gives us another year to feel out Bowe and see if we can get him to sign another contract.

KCCF
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
We have always had to rely on the running game to move the ball down the field because we have no qb. It isn't rocket science. If you have an Aaron rodgers, peyton manning, drew brees etc.. you are going to throw the ball

Well a prime peyton anyways.

nigeriannightmare
04-11-2012, 09:03 AM
We have always had to rely on the running game to move the ball down the field because we have no qb. It isn't rocket science. If you have an Aaron rodgers, peyton manning, drew brees etc.. you are going to throw the ball

Man u know how to beat a dead horse better than anyone.

OPLookn
04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Is it not true?

That you know how to beat a dead horse? It's truer than any statement I've ever heard made.

:beat_DeadHorse:

figcrostic
04-13-2012, 03:55 PM
That you know how to beat a dead horse? It's truer than any statement I've ever heard made.

:beat_DeadHorse:

Is that supposed to a picture of Tamba Hali destroying Peyton Manning?

Chiefster
04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Way too early to speculate.