PDA

View Full Version : I hope we don't draft a QB before the 3rd round

figcrostic
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
We need a NT and to fill depth in other areas far before drafting a QB, that and aside from Luck or RGIII (even though I'm not a big RGIII fan either) I don't see any QB worth a damn. Cassel has a great line now, top 5 defense, 2 very good RB's, 3 very talented receivers, and 2 very good TE's. IF he can't get it done, then draft Landry Jones next year. Until then let's see what Matty can do, no excuses, if he gets it done good for him if not, at least we know and we get rid of him and still have an amazing team. I say we pick up Decastro in the first and the best NT available in the 2nd if Pioli wants a QB let him get one in the third or later, but lets solidify our O-line and D-line first.

Chiefster
04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
No arguments from me. :D

Subversion
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm not a Cassel supporter but if he stays healthy the next few years we won't be drafting this high for a while. He can win regular season games with the team that's around him, unfortunately that's all he can do.

If Ryan Tannehill is there at 11 I hope we take him. He has the attributes to be a top 10 quarterback in the league. Pick 11 is kind of ugly this year, and I doubt we will get a chance at a high caliber quarterback in the near future. We can always draft a great guard picking in the 20's next year. While DeCastro is a fantastic player I hate to "reach" for a guard that early.

I doubt we will invest an early pick at NT, they are really trying to develop Jerrell Powe while we milk the last ounces of football from Gregg.

OPLookn
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm not a Cassel supporter but if he stays healthy the next few years we won't be drafting this high for a while. He can win regular season games with the team that's around him, unfortunately that's all he can do.

If Ryan Tannehill is there at 11 I hope we take him. He has the attributes to be a top 10 quarterback in the league. Pick 11 is kind of ugly this year, and I doubt we will get a chance at a high caliber quarterback in the near future. We can always draft a great guard picking in the 20's next year. While DeCastro is a fantastic player I hate to "reach" for a guard that early.

I doubt we will invest an early pick at NT, they are really trying to develop Jerrell Powe while we milk the last ounces of football from Gregg.

My opinion is just the opposite of yours. DeCastro seems like a sure thing to me and Tannehill was a fringe first rounder right up to the point where two or three teams started talking QB and he's been rising ever since. I watch a lot of Big 12 college football and like someone else said somewhere, Tannehill will have you going wow, nice throw one minute and WTF was that! another. Which reminds me a lot of one that goes by the name Matt Cassel.

Tannehill is a converted receiver that's played QB for a year and a half. Pass, even at 11, trade down and stock up on picks.

Subversion
04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I wouldn't be upset if we took DeCastro at 11 since he is by far the best Guard in the draft. I just want the Chiefs to finally invest in a quarterback with a lot of upside and since I doubt we will be picking in the top 10 anytime soon we have to take a chance on fringe 1st rounders...They seem to pay off quite frequently as of late. I would be happy if we took a chance on Osweiler later on!

figcrostic
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
My opinion is just the opposite of yours. DeCastro seems like a sure thing to me and Tannehill was a fringe first rounder right up to the point where two or three teams started talking QB and he's been rising ever since. I watch a lot of Big 12 college football and like someone else said somewhere, Tannehill will have you going wow, nice throw one minute and WTF was that! another. Which reminds me a lot of one that goes by the name Matt Cassel.

Tannehill is a converted receiver that's played QB for a year and a half. Pass, even at 11, trade down and stock up on picks.
:bananen_smilies046: Decastro is a stud, who could play in position on the line.

slc chief
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
i would love to get decastro. but i am also sick of being below average at qb as well

figcrostic
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
i would love to get decastro. but i am also sick of being below average at qb as well

Tannehil is going to be a bench warmer for the next couple years he is not NFL ready.

slc chief
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Tannehil is going to be a bench warmer for the next couple years he is not NFL ready.
i am not sold on tannenhill being an immediate starter either, but he definantly has tons of potential.and andy dalton coming out of tcu was not supposed to make a huge impact last year but he did.the days of drafting a qb and letting him sit for a few years are over.if you put a good team (wich kc has) around a rookie qb,they can be instantly sucessfull,i already know the tannenhill only started 15 games argument is coming. and i agree but there is an obvious need to have more talent at the qb position for the chiefs.. just because you get cassell an 0-line does not mean he will quit staring down his receivers and freaking out when someone in the pocket so much as breathes on him .i think pioli and crennell have already shown their cards.. and they are obviously not comfortable with cassel.that is why they are interviewing tannenhill and also why they tried to replace him with manning and was not shy about it.

underdawg87
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Just my opinion, but I think if Pioli and Crennel wanted Manning in KC, then he would be in KC right now. It feels to me like KC made no REAL effort to get him.

slc chief
04-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Just my opinion, but I think if Pioli and Crennel wanted Manning in KC, then he would be in KC right now. It feels to me like KC made no REAL effort to get him.

no they made an effort that was proven every where.nfl.com,espn.com look it up.manning was just a d-bag and refused to talk to them.one choice he will definantly regret.and before i catch to much flack i will say i do not want tannenhill with the 11th pick but i would be ok with a weeden or a osweiller in the 2nd or 3rd

figcrostic
04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
no they made an effort that was proven every where.nfl.com,espn.com look it up.manning was just a d-bag and refused to talk to them.one choice he will definantly regret.and before i catch to much flack i will say i do not want tannenhill with the 11th pick but i would be ok with a weeden or a osweiller in the 2nd or 3rd

After Decastro and a beastly NT I don't care who we get.

brdempsey69
04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Agree with figcrostic 100%. No QB before round 3. Also agree regarding DeCastro at #11 as he is a better football player at his position than Poe or Kuechly are at theirs, and DeCastro addresses the Chiefs biggest need.

Three7s
04-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Agree with figcrostic 100%. No QB before round 3. Also agree regarding DeCastro at #11 as he is a better football player at his position than Poe or Kuechly are at theirs, and DeCastro addresses the Chiefs biggest need.
We could have the greatest O-line in history and you'd still say that's the biggest need. I won't cry if we get DeCastro, but I'd much rather have Kuechly. He's an obvious upgrade from Jovan "oh crap, I have to cover" Belcher.

Also, Landry Jones being the answer at QB.......really? Looks a lot like who we have now. I wouldn't mind that kid from Arkansas after he torched Kansas State in the Cotton bowl.

TopekaRoy
04-15-2012, 04:15 AM
We could have the greatest O-line in history and you'd still say that's the biggest need.

If we had the greatest O-line in history, why would he say that? Was he saying that when we had Roaf, Waters, Shields, etc?

I won't cry if we get DeCastro, but I'd much rather have Kuechly. He's an obvious upgrade from Jovan "oh crap, I have to cover" Belcher.

I would be happy with either one and I honestly think that DeCastro will be gone before we pick, so Kueckly would be a great pick. But what was better last year, our offense or our defense? If DeCastro is available at #11, I think we have to take him.

Three7s
04-15-2012, 08:32 AM
If we had the greatest O-line in history, why would he say that? Was he saying that when we had Roaf, Waters, Shields, etc?

I would be happy with either one and I honestly think that DeCastro will be gone before we pick, so Kueckly would be a great pick. But what was better last year, our offense or our defense? If DeCastro is available at #11, I think we have to take him.
I say that because, other than Richardson, our O-line was decent. Richardson was so bad that it made everyone else look 10x worse. The Winston upgrade should transform it completely, but no it's still the worst part of the team.....

70 chiefsfan70
04-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I say that because, other than Richardson, our O-line was decent. Richardson was so bad that it made everyone else look 10x worse. The Winston upgrade should transform it completely, but no it's still the worst part of the team.....

I agree we will have a much improved OL with or without Decastro, but if decastro is there at the 11th we should take him. we need to draft this year to help us next year. Meaning Albert will be a free agent, Dorsey will be a free agent, Bowe would need to be signed, Its possible we will be needing a qb in the first. By taking Decastro, we would be helping us a great deal next year.

AussieChiefsFan
04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I agree we will have a much improved OL with or without Decastro, but if decastro is there at the 11th we should take him. we need to draft this year to help us next year. Meaning Albert will be a free agent, Dorsey will be a free agent, Bowe would need to be signed, Its possible we will be needing a qb in the first. By taking Decastro, we would be helping us a great deal next year.

THIS

brdempsey69
04-15-2012, 01:45 PM
We could have the greatest O-line in history and you'd still say that's the biggest need. ...

Were you raised on Milk of Magnesia or what? Because you are totally full of crap. Topeka Roy is right, I never said anything like that during the days of Roaf, Shields, etc. And I never said that during the years that Marty was coaching. Why the accusation, with nothing to substantiate it?

.....I'd much rather have Kuechly. He's an obvious upgrade from Jovan "oh crap, I have to cover" Belcher.

I don't recall Belcher getting torched a whole lot by the pass late in the year after Crennel took over as HC -- in fact I don't recall him torched a whole lot at all and his forte is stopping the run and he shouldn't be on the field in obvious passing situations, anyway. Kuechly is a good player, but ILB isn't a major need, therefore selecting Kuechly be a luxury pick. It would be OK, but there are other ILB's to be had in rounds 2 through 7.

I personally like Hightower from Alabama better than Kuechly at ILB, and if the Chiefs want an ILB in the 1st round, then why not trade down and get extra picks and take Hightower? They will not be able to trade back and get an interior O-Lineman with blocking skills of DeCastro as he will more than likely not fall out of the top 15 ( Mike Pouncey was taken at #15 last year ).

I say that because, other than Richardson, our O-line was decent. Richardson was so bad that it made everyone else look 10x worse.

The only part of this statement that is true is that "Richardson was bad". The rest is a crock of BS.

No, the O-Line wasn't decent. What games were you watching? Or do you simply like urinating on your own head and telling yourself that it's raining ( must be a form of cheap thrills ) ?

They had the worst Offensive output in team history. And let us not forget the stupid way they handled Jared Gaither. When Gaither got his chance to play regularly in SD, he played way better than any of the Chiefs O-Lineman ( and I know this because I subscribed to NFL Game Rewind and watched the games ) and don't try telling me "Gaither wasn't a good fit in KC", because the truth is that they refused to give him a chance.

The middle of the Chiefs O-Line got decisively manhandled too many times last year & you can't blame Richardson for that or use him as scapegoat. He can't block for the other 4 guys on the O-Line. Things are very thin in the middle of the O-Line and drafting DeCastro would address that.

The Winston upgrade should transform it completely

No, the Winston signing should bolster the RT position, but it doesn't transform the entire unit. Where the hell are you deriving that from? The middle of the O-Line still needs help.

but no it's still the worst part of the team.....

Oh really? Yet, you fail to mention what part of the team is. And please explain, why is it that Chiefs fans are posting all over the web and saying that O-Line is the greatest area of need? I do not see a bigger need anywhere on the Chiefs than the middle of their O-Line, not even QB. Nor do I see any other unit on the Chiefs team that anyone could rightfully say is worse than the O-Line. What football team are you looking at ?

I won't cry if we get DeCastro, but I'd much rather have Kuechly.

And yet, here you are crying out false statements at me because I prefer DeCastro. Doesn't do a whole lot for your credibility, now does it? You need to think before you talk.

HaliForPresident
04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
i am not sold on tannenhill being an immediate starter either, but he definantly has tons of potential.and andy dalton coming out of tcu was not supposed to make a huge impact last year but he did.the days of drafting a qb and letting him sit for a few years are over.if you put a good team (wich kc has) around a rookie qb,they can be instantly sucessfull,i already know the tannenhill only started 15 games argument is coming. and i agree but there is an obvious need to have more talent at the qb position for the chiefs.. just because you get cassell an 0-line does not mean he will quit staring down his receivers and freaking out when someone in the pocket so much as breathes on him .i think pioli and crennell have already shown their cards.. and they are obviously not comfortable with cassel.that is why they are interviewing tannenhill and also why they tried to replace him with manning and was not shy about it.

That is absolutely wrong. There is one year where rookies QBs came in and played well (while other rookies didn't like Gabbert). That is an extremely small sample size to say the NFL has changed in ONE year. Look at all the top QBs today they either sat out for a couple years or didn't play at a high level til a couple years in the league (Rodgers, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Romo). The only difference now is they expect rookies QB to play right away even when they're not ready, because NFL fans have no patience and NFL teams give the fans what they want even when sometimes it's not best for the team because it makes more moeny.

Three7s
04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Were you raised on Milk of Magnesia or what? Because you are totally full of crap. Topeka Roy is right, I never said anything like that during the days of Roaf, Shields, etc. And I never said that during the years that Marty was coaching. Why the accusation, with nothing to substantiate it?

I don't recall Belcher getting torched a whole lot by the pass late in the year after Crennel took over as HC -- in fact I don't recall him torched a whole lot at all and his forte is stopping the run and he shouldn't be on the field in obvious passing situations, anyway. Kuechly is a good player, but ILB isn't a major need, therefore selecting Kuechly be a luxury pick. It would be OK, but there are other ILB's to be had in rounds 2 through 7.

I personally like Hightower from Alabama better than Kuechly at ILB, and if the Chiefs want an ILB in the 1st round, then why not trade down and get extra picks and take Hightower? They will not be able to trade back and get an interior O-Lineman with blocking skills of DeCastro as he will more than likely not fall out of the top 15 ( Mike Pouncey was taken at #15 last year ).

The only part of this statement that is true is that "Richardson was bad". The rest is a crock of BS.

No, the O-Line wasn't decent. What games were you watching? Or do you simply like urinating on your own head and telling yourself that it's raining ( must be a form of cheap thrills ) ?

They had the worst Offensive output in team history. And let us not forget the stupid way they handled Jared Gaither. When Gaither got his chance to play regularly in SD, he played way better than any of the Chiefs O-Lineman ( and I know this because I subscribed to NFL Game Rewind and watched the games ) and don't try telling me "Gaither wasn't a good fit in KC", because the truth is that they refused to give him a chance.

The middle of the Chiefs O-Line got decisively manhandled too many times last year & you can't blame Richardson for that or use him as scapegoat. He can't block for the other 4 guys on the O-Line. Things are very thin in the middle of the O-Line and drafting DeCastro would address that.

No, the Winston signing should bolster the RT position, but it doesn't transform the entire unit. Where the hell are you deriving that from? The middle of the O-Line still needs help.

Oh really? Yet, you fail to mention what part of the team is. And please explain, why is it that Chiefs fans are posting all over the web and saying that O-Line is the greatest area of need? I do not see a bigger need anywhere on the Chiefs than the middle of their O-Line, not even QB. Nor do I see any other unit on the Chiefs team that anyone could rightfully say is worse than the O-Line. What football team are you looking at ?

And yet, here you are crying out false statements at me because I prefer DeCastro. Doesn't do a whole lot for your credibility, now does it? You need to think before you talk.
You're telling me I'm making false claims, but aren't you doing the same by ONLY blaming the O-line for the offensive output? I think that whole Cassel sucks thread should answer a lot of that for you, not to mention the carousel afterwards.

Since I know you love O-line, let's break this down by position.

Albert: He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible. The Chiefs had more success running behind him than any of the other linemen. He commits too many penalties, but he's been quietly been fairly dependable.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Branden Albert - Kansas City Chiefs - NFL - Football (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8792&team=12)

Lilja: Not a very good run blocker, but he's solid in pass protection. With the Chiefs zone scheme, it was perfect for using Charles, but once he got injured, the scheme didn't work too well. I'd prefer a new LG, but he could get it done for another season.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Ryan Lilja - Kansas City Chiefs - NFL - Football (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7076&team=12)

Hudson: He's replacing Wiegmann so this should be interesting. He played a bit last season, but not near enough to know how good he is.

John Asamoah: Another guy who needs to work on that run blocking. He wasn't quite as good in pass protection as I'd like, but he should improve with more experience. He just needs to work on redirecting his guy for the zone blocking scheme to work perfectly.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Jon Asamoah - Kansas City Chiefs - NFL - Football (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=24043&team=12)

Winston: Everything I've heard from Texan fans is that he was the big reason for Arian Foster to be as great as he is now. I can't say for sure because I've never had my eye on him, so we'll see. One thing I can see just from the stat test is that he gives up way too many sacks. Far more than Albert averages.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Eric Winston - Kansas City Chiefs - NFL - Football (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7815&team=12)

I still don't think our O-line is as bad as you say it is. Do we need depth? Absolutely, that can be said for every position, but I think the job can be done by these guys. The only move that HAD to be made was getting rid of Richardson. Oh right, that leads me to the last bit.

Jovan Belcher: Jovan Belcher was a nice story. Coming out of Maine, being an undrafted FA and all that. He's done far more than anyone would've expected. Like you said, he's a solid run stopper, but that's really all he is. Every time a passing situation comes up, he's off the field because heaven forbid he actually be ON the field for it.

Since his 2009 rookie season, Belcher has defended three, count em, THREE passes. Yep, that's one per season. I can't find a stat that shows how many catches he's given up, but I don't think it's hard to figure out that defending THREE passes in three years is bad......really bad. That's why I want Kuechly, he's gotten a lot of praise for coverage.

STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Jovan Belcher - Kansas City Chiefs - NFL - Football (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=9540&team=12)

PFF had a really nice breakdown on Belcher, but I can't find it. Either way, it might be tl;dr and you might think I'm still making false statements, and I don't really care. I just want to prove that I actually DO research before making "false" claims.

brdempsey69
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Three7s

I didn't say the O-Line was the only reason for the meager Offensive output & there was nothing in my posts to suggest otherwise. Obviously, injuries contributed, as well. I said the "interior part of the O-Line is the biggest need". And it is. Lilja is in the last year of his contract & Asamoah is still a work in progress and there is no depth behind them. DeCastro is a very much needed pick as the Chiefs have not signed anyone in FA to help out in that area.

Your statement of "We could have the greatest O-line in history and you'd still say that's the biggest need. ..." is what I'm saying is a false claim & it is.

When you have 2 QB's go down to injuries & score only 17 TD's in a 16 game season, then it's obvious that improvement is needed up front because the talent level isn't there. This is what your so called research isn't pointing out.

The only thing you have proven is the old saying "when you can't attack the message, then attack the messenger"

As for ILB's, Siler is coming back, Greenwood and Belcher were resigned and overall the ILB's were not a big problem for the defense last year. The primary problem for the Chiefs defense was having to spend too much time on the field with very little Offensive support. Therefore, Kuechly is nothing more than a luxury pick at #11 & Hightower is a better prospect than Kuechly is anyway & as I said before, if they want an ILB, they'd be better served to try and trade down and take Hightower.

The skill position talent is there on Offense, but the O-Line talent isn't and anyone who's watched their games over the years since Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired can easily see that. Until they address that issue, you can forget about any post-season success. Kuechly does not address that issue, DeCastro does. Plain and simple.

chiefnut
04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
this is a well debated subject that will not see a conclusion till the end of this season. no matter who we draft #1 their will be cheers and jeers but which ones are proven right will probably wait until after the season, hopefully post season. my personal opinion, worth about 2 cents, is that the corners of our O line are good, the middle should be good, the interior [guards] still need an upgrade and Decastro would be my choice. with the return of weapons like Moeaki and Charles, the addition of Hillis the improved line should pay big dividends immediately. while the D absolutely needs a tru NT their overall performance was not all that bad considering the loss of Berry and Lewis, lack of depth and extra playing time due to an inept offense. this is why i would prefer we complete the O line overhaul w/Decastro and the address the D in rounds 2-7.

Three7s
04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Three7s

I didn't say the O-Line was the only reason for the meager Offensive output & there was nothing in my posts to suggest otherwise. Obviously, injuries contributed, as well. I said the "interior part of the O-Line is the biggest need". And it is. Lilja is in the last year of his contract & Asamoah is still a work in progress and there is no depth behind them. DeCastro is a very much needed pick as the Chiefs have not signed anyone in FA to help out in that area.

Your statement of "We could have the greatest O-line in history and you'd still say that's the biggest need. ..." is what I'm saying is a false claim & it is.

When you have 2 QB's go down to injuries & score only 17 TD's in a 16 game season, then it's obvious that improvement is needed up front because the talent level isn't there. This is what your so called research isn't pointing out.

The only thing you have proven is the old saying "when you can't attack the message, then attack the messenger"

As for ILB's, Siler is coming back, Greenwood and Belcher were resigned and overall the ILB's were not a big problem for the defense last year. The primary problem for the Chiefs defense was having to spend too much time on the field with very little Offensive support. Therefore, Kuechly is nothing more than a luxury pick at #11 & Hightower is a better prospect than Kuechly is anyway & as I said before, if they want an ILB, they'd be better served to try and trade down and take Hightower.

The skill position talent is there on Offense, but the O-Line talent isn't and anyone who's watched their games over the years since Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired can easily see that. Until they address that issue, you can forget about any post-season success. Kuechly does not address that issue, DeCastro does. Plain and simple.
So you're saying you want DeCastro, the 11th pick in the draft, to be depth for the first year? I can see why you're saying that, but this team isn't in the position to use a first rounder for depth. Some probably feel otherwise, but I'd rather have someone who could contribute right away.

The reason I want Kuechly is because he reminds me a lot of Derrick Johnson. A speedy tackle machine that has the ability to cover very well. I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and taking Hightower or Brockers.

As for the "false statement", the only reason I said that is because it seems like every time you post, it's always a jab at the O-line. As for the offensive output, I still blame the QBs more than the O-line. Primary culprint: Matt Cassel

I don't want things to turn heated between us, I just want you to know my point of view.

brdempsey69
04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Three7s,

I did not say I wanted them to draft DeCastro for depth or even suggest that. I said "no depth at the interior O-Line" which they don't have right now. Common sense should tell you that drafting DeCastro is with the intent of him being a starter and upgrading one of the Guard positions, with either Lilja or Asamoah providing depth.

As for "jab at the O-Line" , I suggest you look at the Chiefs history & take note of the fact that when they've had Pro-Bowl caliber players on their O-Line they've also been in the post-season hunt and when they haven't, they've been also-rans and the last five seasons have certainly proven that ( and that includes 2010 as their O-Line got literally ran over at the end of that season ). As I said before, it's been an area that they have needed to address since Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired, but yet haven't really done so for one lame excuse or another. Fact is, the longer they keep putting it off, the longer Chiefs fans are going to have to wait for any post-season success -- that is not an opinion, that is the way it really is, like it or not.

As for Kuechly, he doesn't address what the Chiefs need to get back in the post-season hunt. What they need is better blocking up front on their O-Line on Offense so that they can move the ball better and score more points, and anyone who's watched them over the last 5 years can easily see that.

Kuechly isn't really a good fit for the Chiefs 3-4, anyway. Hightower is.

As for Cassel, I personally find it very difficult to blame him as the prime culprit for the Chiefs offensive output, when too often he's had an opposing defender stuck in his earhole within 1.5 seconds after taking the snap. Ever wonder how he would fare if he had the same O-Line in front of him that Trent Green had? Has he not thrown 4 TD passes in a game multiple times since becoming a Chief? Fact is, Cassell has been beaten into a zombie ( and Orton got hurt as well ) because simply the O-Line isn't very good. What is the best way to address that issue? Well, of course, draft an ILB with the #11 overall pick and pass on the most elite interior O-Line prospect to come out in decades.

Three7s
04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah, because the coaching staff would be elated to put a rookie O-lineman in as a starter when there is one proven veteran and another young guy trying to get better. His only chance of starting year one is if Lilja has a change of heart and retires.

This was proven when Wiegman started over Hudson.

As for the O-line winning debate, where was that in the early 2000s when we DID have that o-line? You need to have a COMPLETE team, and you might think this defense is complete, but it isn't by a long shot. Whether it's Kuechly or someone else, that remains up for debate.

Also, I think the Steelers and Packers have already proven a strong case against the argument of having a good o-line and winning.

Chiefs777
04-17-2012, 06:08 AM
I think it's a no-brainer to further improve the offensive line with the first pick. I don't follow college ball much, but if DeCastro is a "can't miss" stud, then they NEED to get him.

Peterson and Herm should have fixed this OL years ago, but they didn't and we've paid for it.

I'm a firm believer that the OL is where it all starts. If your OL can control the line of scrimmage, then the offense will move the ball and score. The OL can also help your defense by keeping them fresh and off the field.

Regarding the ILB's... Belcher is great against the run. So should we draft a rookie to play 1 out of 3 downs? I think our current rotation can continue to do well... and who knows... maybe we could draft a gem of a ILB in a later round.

Also, I think we have a stud in Justin Houston, opposite of Hali. I have a feeling our ILB corp won't need to cover for too long! Ball-Hawk Berry will be back to help too.

On Defense, the biggest hole is NT. We need a 500 lb gorilla in there. We drafted Powe last year, but can he step in and dominate? Hopefully.

:chiefs3:

TopekaRoy
04-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree with BrDempsey and Chief777 on this one.

The Chiefs are in a unique position this year because they they have wants but not a lot of needs. DeCastro will be able to start and have an immediate impact at two positions because we will be able to move Albert back to his "natural" position where he can perform at a higher level. He will improve the offense and we saw last year that when the Chiefs scored at least 13 points, they were 5-2 and one of those losses came in overtime, following a 13-13 tie against Oakland, so 5-1-1 would be more accurate.

Our line backer group is currently very solid, certainly more so than our O-line. In fact, I would argue that DeCastro would help our defense more than Kuechly or another linebacker would!

brdempsey69
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Three7s

You are forgetting that while Crennel was HC in Cleveland, he drafted OT Joe Thomas and Center Alex Mack in round 1 -- and both were instant starters !!

As far as blocking skills go regarding O-Line draft prospects, DeCastro is right there with Joe Thomas, maybe even a little better & DeCastro is stronger. Granted, Thomas is a Tackle & DeCastro a Guard, but Guard is where the Chiefs need help the most.

I must also point out that with the new CBA and rookie salary structure, the #11 position is no longer too high to take an interior O-Lineman, especially one that's been regarded by many as the best prospect at that position to come out in years.

And Lilja is not a proven anything, except that he can't handle bigger and more physical DT's, and is a big liability. They need to replace him. There was a reason Indy let him go. Peyton Manning didn't want Lilja there anymore.

On, Defense, the Chiefs do NOT need LB help as much as the need NT help, another pass-rusher, and some Safety help. Topeka Roy and Chiefs777 are correct -- the LB core is very good and not an area that they need to address with the #11 overall pick.

jason1981
04-17-2012, 03:04 PM
just pick the best available player regardless of position.

Chiefster
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM

I think we need to draft for need this year, to complete the FA moves we made this off season, but that's just me.

AussieChiefsFan
04-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Well Trent Richardson is pretty damn good but I don't see us drafting him :D

OPLookn
04-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I think we need to draft for need this year, to complete the FA moves we made this off season, but that's just me.

My thought is that we've got some pieces in place. While they might not be the 22 best starters in the league they're better than what we had. At this point I think we need to start drafting for the future. Figure out which person will be leaving (Dorsey, Albert, Jackson) and start drafting replacements or at least someone that can challenge the starting position.

chiefsflow
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Can't argue no need to draft a QB early on.