PDA

View Full Version : Would you Consider Asante Samuel?

Jrudi
04-24-2012, 09:43 AM
There's been a number of reports that says the Eagles have been shopping Asante Samuel for awhile now.

Those reports have the Eagles asking for a 5th or 6th round pick. If a trade happens, there is already talk that the team receiving Samuel will want to re-structure his contract for the trade to happen.

So here is the question....

Pioli is awsome at negotiating contracts that fit what the Chiefs need and not strapping them, while making the player happy.

Would you consider giving up a 5th or 6th round pick for Asante Samuel (who will be 31) for 2-3 years of production, if he would agree to re-structure his deal?

I would....The loss of Carr Stinks, and although we added Routt, we still need help in our secondary to fill this void. Pioli has a history with Samuel, and can more than likely make him happy (although he didn't in New England when he left for Philly) With Manning in the division, we need all the good Dbacks we can get, and Pioli always says "you can never have enough talented DB's on your roster"

I would definitely give up our 5th for him, as long as we aren't paying him a large contract...

beaver25
04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Id like to add him.

#58ChiefsFan
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Trading a later round pick seems like a good deal however he is still going to be out of our price range even with a restructure. He was somewhere in the 9-10 mil area with quite a bit more due next year. I think 6-7 sounds like where he'd have to be to come here.

texaschief
04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
no. there's something wrong if the Eagles are willing to just take a late round pick for him. I'm not in the know, but this doesn't add up.

honda522
04-24-2012, 10:28 PM
I would say yes, but before we do....Why are they trying to get rid of him?

chief31
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
no. there's something wrong if the Eagles are willing to just take a late round pick for him. I'm not in the know, but this doesn't add up.

They don't have room to start him. They have Asomugha and Rogers-Cromartie to fill the starting spots.

texaschief
04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
They don't have room to start him. They have Asomugha and Rogers-Cromartie to fill the starting spots.

Understandable. However, Samuel was billed as an elite CB and is paid as such. Samuel should still be viewed as a nice asset. Why just give him away when you could actually try and get value for him? A late first round pick isn't fair-market value for a top tier CB. Just saying.

70 chiefsfan70
04-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Understandable. However, Samuel was billed as an elite CB and is paid as such. Samuel should still be viewed as a nice asset. Why just give him away when you could actually try and get value for him? A late first round pick isn't fair-market value for a top tier CB. Just saying.

I think they are wanting to make sure he goes elsewhere, they just can't pay him what they owe him.

buffman316
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I would like to have him here. The Eagles have a crowded secondary and we have the room. I would give a fourth rounder for him.

jb908
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Falcons got him for 3 years

TopekaRoy
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Falcons got him for 3 years

Yep.

The Atlanta Falcons acquired Philadelphia Eagles Pro-Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel for a late-round pick, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday.

As part of the transaction, Samuel restructured his contract, agreeing to a three-year, $18.5 million deal with the Falcons. Samuels' contract with the Eagles had called for him to earn $9.9 million this season and $11.4 million in 2013. (source: ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7853300/atlanta-falcons-acquire-asante-samuel-philadelphia-eagles-sources-say))

Not a bad deal for the Falcons.

chiefsflow
04-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Good player and a good improvement BUT his contract is huge! Not worth it to me.

TopekaRoy
04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Good player and a good improvement BUT his contract is huge! Not worth it to me.

Not as huge as it was, though!

I figure the third year is probably not guaranteed, so they get him for 2 years for roughly $12.33 million while the Eagles would have paid him $21.3 million for the same time-frame. That's almost half priced.

I agree, however, that it still would have been too much for the Chiefs to pay. We don't need him that badly.