PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to KC Dontari Poe

jap1
04-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Not who I personally wanted, but welcome to the Chiefs! I hope he plays up to his athleticism!

azchiefsfan
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
What athleticism? This guy is borderline average. I hope Pioli and Crennel know something every other person in the NFL doesn't know. This is one of those pig-in-poke picks. I hope he can make some bacon, but I'll bet he ends up going wee wee wee all the way home by November next year.

Subversion
04-26-2012, 09:16 PM
The only way to describe how I feel is...sad

We just drafted a combine warrior.

I was hoping for Barron and even talked myself into DeCastro if he wasn't there.

Poe was the one person who I didn't want. I went as far as to have faith in our GM that I told people I wouldn't be watching football in 2012 if we drafted him.

figcrostic
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I would have preferred Decastro but being that Crennel was a former DL, DL coach, defensive coordinator, and has seen much more of this guy then anyone on this site I trust his opinion that this guy is good. If anyone can make this guy a stud it's crennel, we needed a NT badly and this guy fits the mold perfectly

bricooper78
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow. I hope RAC knows what he's doing.... wow.

At any rate, Go Chiefs!

PhillyChief
04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
He'll fit in great with Jackson and Dorsey. sigh

KristofLaw
04-26-2012, 09:31 PM

I was hoping for Barron and even talked myself into DeCastro if he wasn't there.

Poe was the one person who I didn't want. I went as far as to have faith in our GM that I told people I wouldn't be watching football in 2012 if we drafted him.

Gimme a break.

I hope this pick works, there is a lot of upside with Poe.... welcome to the Chiefs Dontari! Make it work! :chiefs:

figcrostic
04-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Wow! You have a lot of insight we should fire Pioli and hire you

MissingTBone
04-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Dude wouldn't even get off the phone to meet his new bosses, ugh!!

bricooper78
04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Well, I guess this means that the brass has more faith in everyone else than we do... if the biggest need is also worth the risk that Poe brings (Haynesworth part duex) along with him, they apparently feel the rest of the team is pretty close to "being there".

I am still half shocked, but that is the best answer I can come up with.

rodu
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Where was he projected to be drafted?

jap1
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Chiefs say DL Poe no longer Mr. Everything - Kansas City Chiefs - CBSSports.com RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18848317)

Confirmation that Poe will play NT. There was some talk that he could play DE.

RLaMarche
04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I cannot believe this! I have lost all faith in Pioli & Co.! I have the same feeling now, as I do after a gameday loss! Why not go with the safe pick like Decastro?! I am so tired of the good teams making good choices year after year, no matter where they pick and we continue to do stupid crap.I did not want Poe as our pick, obviously. I do not believe he is our answer at Nose. He seems to be nothing but a Combine Warrior. It looks like we bought into Combine Crap like the raiders do! I feel like we completely wasted our first round pick. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and pray that I eat my own words. I will happily admit it!

Subversion
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I already said I wasn't happy with this pick earlier in the thread.

I don't really understand how athleticism is really important in a 3-4 NT. To all of you Chiefs fans that drink whatever "kool aid" that the front office hands out, remember that it's ok to form your own opinion.

Here's the main point: We need Poe to essentially serve as a clog, thats all. So in two years when all the Opie the Optimist start complaining about his sacks remember he's there to help the other guys.

It's the same debate that was on the boards about Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey being bust. The D-Line is there so the Linebackers can make plays. Justin Houston should be able to show his real potential.

I hope he works out, I just can't understand using the 11th pick on a DT with so many question marks.

Subversion
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Wow! You have a lot of insight we should fire Pioli and hire you

You don't want to do that! The Chiefs would have a franchise qb with no o-line. We can't forget how important your o-line is.

I was just venting my frustrating on the NT pick at 11. Drink some kool aid buddy.

KristofLaw
04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I already said I wasn't happy with this pick earlier in the thread.

I don't really understand how athleticism is really important in a 3-4 NT. To all of you Chiefs fans that drink whatever "kool aid" that the front office hands out, remember that it's ok to form your own opinion.

Here's the main point: We need Poe to essentially serve as a clog, thats all. So in two years when all the Opie the Optimist start complaining about his sacks remember he's there to help the other guys.

It's the same debate that was on the boards about Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey being bust. The D-Line is there so the Linebackers can make plays. Justin Houston should be able to show his real potential.

I hope he works out, I just can't understand using the 11th pick on a DT with so many question marks.

My thing is why do people say they would quit the Chiefs over something such as this... dumb statement to throw out there no matter how upset it makes one. i understand the feeling though... I just hope he works out.

Subversion
04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Whats dumb is not being able to comprehend sentences. I said i would quit watching football, not quit the chiefs!

Are you kidding me!?!?

Im a chiefs fan whosr lived in pa my entire life. I cant quit now.

drstandley31
04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Well we'll see if Pioli has the insight that we brought him here for. I hope so. I'm happy they got the guy they wanted and hope in 2 years he's a monster.

figcrostic
04-26-2012, 10:42 PM
You don't want to do that! The Chiefs would have a franchise qb with no o-line. We can't forget how important your o-line is.

I was just venting my frustrating on the NT pick at 11. Drink some kool aid buddy.

I wanted Decastro too, but we needed a NT badly. We already have a good line right now we picked up one of the best RT in the league, a very good blocking TE, Branden Albert's have been playing good Lilja is fine, hudson is going to be a stud between asamoah and mims we have two very good guards so to act like we have no O-line is ridiculous.

Bike
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
We need Poe to essentially serve as a clog, thats all.
Thats what good NT's do - occupy blockers which opens up lanes for the rest of the defense to pursue. Ragi had questions marks when he was drafted also, and is now considered one of the top 5 NT's in the league. Having said that, we will need Poe to be more than just a clog. We will need him to harass the passer and mow down runningbacks, and be constantly double teamed. I would venture to say that Hampton and Wilfork are more than just clogs. They anchor their respective defenses. We have needed a franchise NT since we installed the 3-4, and I think we finally got him. I don't think Memphis was well suited for Poe. Romeo will bring out the beast in this kid. Oughtta be fun.

N TX Dave
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Barron, Claiborne and Kuechly wer all gone and DeCastro was finally taken at #24. You can not always get what you want.

jap1
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Thats what good NT's do - occupy blockers which opens up lanes for the rest of the defense to pursue. Ragi had questions marks when he was drafted also, and is now considered one of the top 5 NT's in the league. Having said that, we will need Poe to be more than just a clog. We will need him to harass the passer and mow down runningbacks, and be constantly double teamed. I would venture to say that Hampton and Wilfork are more than just clogs. They anchor their respective defenses. We have needed a franchise NT since we installed the 3-4, and I think we finally got him. I don't think Memphis was well suited for Poe. Romeo will bring out the beast in this kid. Oughtta be fun.

I agree. My only frustration is that for DL it usually takes at least 2 years for them to get up to NFL speed. That having been said, we had to get one someday.

texaschief
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been screaming for the Chiefs to address the most important position in a 3-4 defense ever since Pioli and co. came to KC...

I feel like I should be more excited about this pick than I am..

This was a GREAT pick for the Chiefs. The NT position needed to be addressed. Don't worry about this pick. If the Ngata comparisons come to fruition, we're gonna LOVE this pick...

Can't wait to see Manning running from the Poe-Powe!!

Chiefster
04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Barron, Claiborne and Kuechly wer all gone and DeCastro was finally taken at #24. You can not always get what you want.

The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Live 1969) - YouTube

jap1
04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
I've been screaming for the Chiefs to address the most important position in a 3-4 defense ever since Pioli and co. came to KC...

I feel like I should be more excited about this pick than I am..

This was a GREAT pick for the Chiefs. The NT position needed to be addressed. Don't worry about this pick. If the Ngata comparisons come to fruition, we're gonna LOVE this pick...

Can't wait to see Manning running from the Poe-Powe!!

Cant wait to hear this:

"Manning (insert Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers here as well) drops back, he scrambles to try to get away from Powe and Poe, but POW! He runs striaght into Hali! FUMBLE! Chiefs Ball! Houston picks it up and runs it all the way back! TOUCHDOWN KANNNNSSSAAAAASSSSS CITY!!!"

kevinbobrow
04-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I think the bottom line is that it was a bad pick. I think Pioli panicked a bit, as he was not expecting the draft to fall in front of him like it did. He really thought Barron or Kuechly or Floyd would be there, and when none of them were he just jumped to Poe. You could tell they weren't ready to make their pick as they were late getting it in, and Berman even said something about it...

Huge mistake. I watched that film on Poe and he looks slow and like a bad tackler. This is a really bad pick. I don't care how many bench press reps you can do or how fast you are--the dude wasn't even dominant in the conference USA!

However, we can hope we have a good rest of the draft and sort of redeem this pick a bit... At least we've had a good offseason in free agency! :)

jap1
04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I think the pick took awhile because we were trying to work a trade down that fell through.

kevinbobrow
04-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Could have been, but either way if we were sold on Poe we would have picked him and been excited about it. Whenever a pick goes down to the wire it's bad news in my opinion...

figcrostic
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Where was he projected to be drafted?

low first /high second

Coach
04-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Unless I am mistaken he was the highest rated NT in this draft. Our biggest position of need was NT. We got him with our 1st rd pick. Not sure what we are conplaining about. You can't have 4 1st rd players. Let's hope we can land some depth in the draft the next few days.

I wish we could have found a way to jump back up and grab DeCastro but I am sure we can find a guard over the next few rounds.

Ryfo18
04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
The sky is the limit with Poe...Unfortunately, the floor is the limit too.

I trust that the Chiefs did their homework and knew they were taking a great player. And this guy will stand in the center of the defense plugging holes for years to come. Welcome to the team, Dontari Poe.

texaschief
04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
I think Crennel knows what he's looking for in a NT... I think he'll be fine.

TopekaRoy
04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
I think the bottom line is that it was a bad pick. I think Pioli panicked a bit, as he was not expecting the draft to fall in front of him like it did. He really thought Barron or Kuechly or Floyd would be there, and when none of them were he just jumped to Poe. You could tell they weren't ready to make their pick as they were late getting it in, and Berman even said something about it...

Huge mistake. I watched that film on Poe and he looks slow and like a bad tackler. This is a really bad pick. I don't care how many bench press reps you can do or how fast you are--the dude wasn't even dominant in the conference USA!

However, we can hope we have a good rest of the draft and sort of redeem this pick a bit... At least we've had a good offseason in free agency! :)

Welcome to ChiefsCrowd, by the way! :bananen_smilies046:

Poe is big, strong and fast. He's everything you want in a nose tackle. Tackling and technique can be taught and he will get excellent coaching in Kansas City. The key will be his attitude and his determination to succeed in the NFL.

I haven't heard anything negative about his character. I'm sure Piloi and Crennel wouldn't have taken him if they didn't believe they could make a great football player out of him. Are they right? Let's hope so.

I still don't know why they didn't take DeCastro, but several others passed on him as well. Is there a problem we are unaware of? I have to believe that Pioli has a plan for beefing up the depth on our O-line as well, or he wouldn't have taken Poe. We will see what happens in the next few days of the draft.

I think Scott knows what he is doing.

... at least I hope he does!

Coach
04-27-2012, 07:24 AM
I think maybe some people on this site are just jealous of Dontari because of the Ace Ventura hairdo he was sporting last night! :)

Coach
04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Great article on kcchiefs.com

Chiefs passed on two opportunities to trade down (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-passed-on-two-opportunities-to-trade-down/eb7d84fe-57f1-44d3-bf4f-441d7477d5a9)

Eydugstr
04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
The sky is the limit with Poe...Unfortunately, the floor is the limit too.

I trust that the Chiefs did their homework and knew they were taking a great player. And this guy will stand in the center of the defense plugging holes for years to come. Welcome to the team, Dontari Poe.

+1. I should have seen this coming, given our coach defensive minded, but with any luck, if he lives up to potential and turns into KC's version of N. Suh...Our defense went from being very good to scary good. Hali, Huston and DJ will be tearing up some QB's. Not to mention all the possible interceptions if we consistently rattle QB's.

chiefnut
04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
not happy w/the pik, while Poe may be stellar, he also has as much chance to be the next ryan simms. that is just way too scarey. we passed on raji and taylor so they are expecting poe to be as good, i sure hope they're right. i saw film w/poe being taken out of the play by TE's abd RB's. i hope he gives me a reason to become his biggest fan.

kcchiefsfan18
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

I think it might be a mistake to label the pick as a huge mistake because he looked slow in a 2 minute ESPN highlight film. He obviously is not slow for a 350lb man.

AussieChiefsFan
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it might be a mistake to label the pick as a huge mistake because he looked slow in a 2 minute ESPN highlight film. He obviously is not slow for a 350lb man.

Definately not slow with a sub 5sec 40 yard dash

KCMASS
04-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Guys...We all understand the NFL draft don't we? Nothing is ever certain. He could be a dominate NT for years to come, or a complete bust. I know we don't have a great track record with DL picks as of late. I'm going to pull for this kid bigtime! With RC as HC, I think he'll teach him what he needs to be as a great starting NT. Could Poe ask for a better scenario? I think this Fox Sports video is pretty accurate.

NFL Video - NFL - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid=29e92571-42d7-4c4a-8dc9-9d623858aa1c&from=foxsports/nfl/home_gallery)

Seek
04-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Alright, This is great news. We drated another Ryan Sims, Jr. Siavii, Eddie Freemen, Turk McBride, and Tyson Jackson. The only difference is now we did it under Crennels watch and he is the best D line coach in the league so he will make him a stud, just like the did with Powe last year..... Sarcasm...

I

Canada
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! Dont let the guy play before you label him a bust or anything. I wish all of the ChiefsCrowd GMs coulda been there...then things would be done right.

KCMASS
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Alright, This is great news. We drated another Ryan Sims, Jr. Siavii, Eddie Freemen, Turk McBride, and Tyson Jackson. The only difference is now we did it under Crennels watch and he is the best D line coach in the league so he will make him a stud, just like the did with Powe last year..... Sarcasm...

I
Seek: There is always two ways @ looking at things. Ryan Sims & Tyson Jackson (high picks) was/is a bust. Powe was a reach in the 6th round (no biggie) Think positive! We "may" have a gem & two years from now you'll say...."Geez...Poe is one of the best NT in the NFL"

Do I think he is a high risk player @ the 11th spot? Yup...sure do. We'll all have to wait & see. BTW....I copied & pasted you reply in my KC Chiefs folder. I'll hang onto it just in case!

buffman316
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Guys...We all understand the NFL draft don't we? Nothing is ever certain. He could be a dominate NT for years to come, or a complete bust. I know we don't have a great track record with DL picks as of late. I'm going to pull for this kid bigtime! With RC as HC, I think he'll teach him what he needs to be as a great starting NT. Could Poe ask for a better scenario? I think this Fox Sports video is pretty accurate.

NFL Video - NFL - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid=29e92571-42d7-4c4a-8dc9-9d623858aa1c&from=foxsports/nfl/home_gallery)

I feel a lot better about this pick for two reasons. One, Romeo can coach this guy up and two, we filled a need. Let's finally get some pressure on the QB from the D line!

Canada
04-27-2012, 10:15 AM

IIm glad Pioli does not subscribe to this thinking. D linemen will be a bust because Sims was (Jackson and Dorsey are at the top of the league stopping the run but I guess you could call that a bust) Cant draft a QB cause it will be another Blackledge. At least we didnt fill out biggest team need with the #1 rated NT in the draft ....sarcasm.

KCMASS
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Canada: AMEN! Well said.

SIC J
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
There's no such thing as a "safe" pick and nothing is guaranteed. The guy hasn't played 1 play in he NFL and you are all already saying it was a bad pick. College and the NFL are 2 completely different levels of play.

OPLookn
04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Im glad Pioli does not subscribe to this thinking. D linemen will be a bust because Sims was (Jackson and Dorsey are at the top of the league stopping the run but I guess you could call that a bust) Cant draft a QB cause it will be another Blackledge. At least we didnt fill out biggest team need with the #1 rated NT in the draft ....sarcasm.

I can't believe I'm going to do this but I agree with Seek. I don't like this pick at all. While saying it's Sims 2.0 is a bit misleading I think what Seek is saying is that we drafted a guy because "he's got the intangibles". So did Sims, Russell, heck even Josh Freeman has them and he's not exactly lighting up the world.

My biggest problem with this kid is that he was a work out warrior. Before we drafted Poe people were saying he took plays off, wasn't well coached, etc and now that we drafted him we hear that he's got a good motor and that Romeo can "coach him up". It's a total 180 the same way people were with Manning. Manning's awesome, he's going to light up the world...oh he shunned the Chiefs, he sucked anyway. I didn't want Manning either btw.

Poe couldn't even get on the 1st team C-USA! He was 2nd team and we drafted him in the 1st round. As I've read elsewhere if he played at Alabama or LSU or somewhere where D's were known for being stout then sure I'd go with it. But people seem to be drinking the kool-aid now that we picked him. I don't like the pick and I don't have to.

OPLookn
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
There's no such thing as a "safe" pick and nothing is guaranteed. The guy hasn't played 1 play in he NFL and you are all already saying it was a bad pick. College and the NFL are 2 completely different levels of play.

That's odd because all I remember hearing about two years ago was how Berry was a future Pro Bowler and how he was the "safe" pick.

When you pick someone in the 1st round you want to plug them in day 1 and say go do your job. Not well the coaches can coach him up. You're right the NFL and college are 2 completely different levels and even in college Poe couldn't be dominant. If he was wouldn't you think he'd have a lot more awards or he at least would have been 1st team C-USA?

pojote
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Just as Mims is on the roster, Poe was drafted. They are on the roster because of their potential, not how good they are today. Sure, many says that you draft for today's needs, but I hope that Pioli and Co. knows more of football than me and all of us.

I don't like the pick, the risk is too high, but I expect the reward also.

pojote
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
No they arent. When ran to jacksons side the YPG is 8th in the league.

Where is that stat?

texaschief
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
No they arent. When ran to jacksons side the YPG is 8th in the league.

Even if this stat were true, wouldn't that be just more reason to get more help along the D-line?

Anyone who doesn't think this pick will vastly improve the Chiefs is kidding themselves. NT was our biggest hole and they just plugged it wish a 350+ pounder who runs a sub 5 40... ya.... horrible pick.

Ryfo18
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I wasn't thrilled with the pick, but if anyone thinks they can tell if this was a bad pick one day after it was made BEFORE seeing him on the field in regular action, you're out of your mind.

We now have our NT for the next 5+ years. I really hope he pans out and starts plugging holes right from the get go. I really like the way the defensive front looks with Jackson, Dorsey, and Poe combined with situational guys like Allen Bailey.

brdempsey69
04-27-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm OK with this pick. Poe does address a need & he was far and away the most physically gifted NT prospect in this draft.

But, I'll be honest, the selection of Poe will look a whole lot better if they take Osemele or Silatolu in the 2nd round ( don't think that Glenn will be there )

And I must differ with those that say NT was the biggest team need. A more accurate statement would be "NT was the biggest need on DEFENSE". Interior O-Line is just as big a need and the fact that 2 QBs got hurt last year & the meager Offensive output is all the proof that I need of that.

GarH
04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I was really hoping for DeCastro, but NT is a bigger need. They are definitely taking a chance with this pick, but I have a lot of faith in Crennel and if anybody can motivate and develop him it is Crennel.

figcrostic
04-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Im glad Pioli does not subscribe to this thinking. D linemen will be a bust because Sims was (Jackson and Dorsey are at the top of the league stopping the run but I guess you could call that a bust) Cant draft a QB cause it will be another Blackledge. At least we didnt fill out biggest team need with the #1 rated NT in the draft ....sarcasm.

I don't always agree with Canada but when I do I have to say CHEERS! :bananen_smilies046::toast2::sFl_canada2:

figcrostic
04-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm OK with this pick. Poe does address a need & he was far and away the most physically gifted NT prospect in this draft.

But, I'll be honest, the selection of Poe will look a whole lot better if they take Osemele or Silatolu in the 2nd round ( don't think that Glenn will be there )

And I must differ with those that say NT was the biggest team need. A more accurate statement would be "NT was the biggest need on DEFENSE". Interior O-Line is just as big a need and the fact that 2 QBs got hurt last year & the meager Offensive output is all the proof that I need of that.

Completely agree, glad to see your coming back around! I thought you gave up on this forum for awhile

Seek
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Top of the league stopping the run when we are the 26th ranked defense against the Run.... I do call Tyson Jackson a huge bust as most people in the Media in KC do as well. Now there are those people who look for the stats that include only variables to make him look better from being a 3rd over all bust and forget hit actual play day in and day out after a dissapointing loss. The whole fact that he restructured his contract the way he did, was an obvious sign that if the Chiefs could cut him now and draft his replacement He wouldn't be able to sign a contract any better than he did if they let him hit the open market. Other wise, He could have said, NO I am playing under my current contract, or cut me and I will find a better deal.

You could say the Problem was Kelly Gregg but my opinion from watching the Line was that he was the best player. You could then say it was j. Belcher and I would tend to agree with you. Which is why I would prefer to have drafted another ILB, but with Kuechly already gone. Hightower is a bit of stretch given he is a two down ILB.

TheChiefs drafted based on Need and reached on a player based on his work outs, just as they did with all the other DT no longer here. He was not the best player available. I would rather the Chiefs draft Cox, or DeCastro as both would fill a need on the team and upgrade their positions while adding necessary depth. While they are not guaranteed sure things. There is less risk, specially considering that we could probably still get a good NT with our second round pick.

But they only positive argument I hear so far about this pick is the fact that Crennel is coaching him. Given that logic, Powe should be ready to start this year.

brdempsey69
04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Completely agree, glad to see your coming back around! I thought you gave up on this forum for awhile

Thanks, man. Crossing fingers for a quality interior O-Lineman today. :bananen_smilies046:

Here something to think about -- back in 1996 the Miami Dolphins drafted a DE out of Baylor named Daryl Gardener, who had freakish athletic ability, but didn't produce big numbers or was as productive in college as Pro scouts and GM's would have liked. The Dolphins took him at #20 and put him at DT and he turned out to be a much better player in the NFL than he ever was in college at Baylor -- so yes, it can happen, that a guy can be a better player in the NFL than he was in college. Hopefully this will be the case with Poe.

figcrostic
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks, man. Crossing fingers for a quality interior O-Lineman today. :bananen_smilies046:

Here something to think about -- back in 1996 the Miami Dolphins drafted a DE out of Baylor named Daryl Gardener, who had freakish athletic ability, but didn't produce big numbers or was as productive in college as Pro scouts and GM's would have liked. The Dolphins took him at #20 and put him at DT and he turned out to be a much better player in the NFL than he ever was in college at Baylor -- so yes, it can happen, that a guy can be a better player in the NFL than he was in college. Hopefully this will be the case with Poe.

:bananen_smilies046: I have liked Poe well before the combine, I knew he was very strong, and at the time he was supposed to be a 2nd rounder. I think it was big risk but we need a NT and I can support the pick. It appears theres are still some good guards in the draft, a lot of people hate on poe but it seemed almost every pick after our was a DT or DE Poe would have been taken soon after if we wouldn't have grabbed him. His potential is off the charts and who better then Crennel a former DL himself to turn him into a great player.

texaschief
04-27-2012, 04:34 PM

This year's O-line of Albert, Asomoah, Hudson, Lilja, and Winston will be a SOLID O-line. There is an issue of depth for this season, which could be taken care of in the 3rd and 4th rounds or in FA after the draft. Serious starting issues on the OL won't arise until the Chiefs decide NOT to franchise/re-sign Albert. The 2012 OL line is in good shape for this season. The 2013 OL however, could see the loss of Branden Albert and Ryan Lilja. Before last night, the Chiefs ONLY HAD a 6th round, 2nd year pro at the NT spot to rely on.

Nose tackle was EASILY the biggest need for this team... as it has been since they switched to the 3-4 defense.

And for those of you who thought we should have taken DeCastro, last night should have proven something to you... YOU DON'T TAKE OGs EARLY IN THE FIRST ROUND. Very few OGs get taken in the first round EVER. The fact that DeCastro was taken in the first at all is an AMAZING accomplishment. OGs early in the first are wasted value picks. The Chiefs will probably have a VERY good OL fall in their lap tonight and they didn't need to spend the #11 pick on him.

The difference between the #1NT and the #2NT is MUCH greater than the difference between the #1 OG and even the #5 OG.

#1NT-#2NT>#1 OG-#5OG

There are more teams running the 3-4 defense now than not and the Chiefs landed the best NT prospect in this draft before any of the perennially great defenses like PIT, BAL, NE, etc. had a chance to.

There are going to be some GREAT OL players available for the Chiefs in round 2. However, if Lilja is coming back and they're happy with Hudson at center, don't expect the Chiefs to pull the trigger for an OL in round 2.

jap1
04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
This year's O-line of Albert, Asomoah, Hudson, Lilja, and Winston will be a SOLID O-line. There is an issue of depth for this season, which could be taken care of in the 3rd and 4th rounds or in FA after the draft. Serious starting issues on the OL won't arise until the Chiefs decide NOT to franchise/re-sign Albert. The 2012 OL line is in good shape for this season. The 2013 OL however, could see the loss of Branden Albert and Ryan Lilja. Before last night, the Chiefs ONLY HAD a 6th round, 2nd year pro at the NT spot to rely on.

Nose tackle was EASILY the biggest need for this team... as it has been since they switched to the 3-4 defense.

And for those of you who thought we should have taken DeCastro, last night should have proven something to you... YOU DON'T TAKE OGs EARLY IN THE FIRST ROUND. Very few OGs get taken in the first round EVER. The fact that DeCastro was taken in the first at all is an AMAZING accomplishment. OGs early in the first are wasted value picks. The Chiefs will probably have a VERY good OL fall in their lap tonight and they didn't need to spend the #11 pick on him.

The difference between the #1NT and the #2NT is MUCH greater than the difference between the #1 OG and even the #5 OG.

#1NT-#2NT>#1 OG-#5OG

There are more teams running the 3-4 defense now than not and the Chiefs landed the best NT prospect in this draft before any of the perennially great defenses like PIT, BAL, NE, etc. had a chance to.

There are going to be some GREAT OL players available for the Chiefs in round 2. However, if Lilja is coming back and they're happy with Hudson at center, don't expect the Chiefs to pull the trigger for an OL in round 2.

I agree with what you are saying. Lilja is the weak spot, but I dont think he is a liability, which is why we could afford to wait until the 3rd round and get someone that we could develop for a year (like we did with Hudson and Asamoah). After OL, though, there isnt really a need. I dont think there are any ILB worthy of an early 2nd round pick and that would be the only other need we have. Maybe trade down to the late 2nd and get a late 3rd or 4th rounder as well?

texaschief
04-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I've had a feeling all week that the Chiefs are gonna go WR in the first 3 rounds. It could be tonight.

texaschief
04-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I like this pick, why is everyone complaining?

for the same reason Obama got elected... because the talking heads have told them to.

texaschief
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
It's a good pick. I think people just fell in love with the DeCastro idea.

KCCF
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
I've always said I didn't want the Chiefs to take him, but now that he's here...
Dontari Poe has lived through tough time to reach the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dontari-poe-long-road-to-nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-042612) . Might as well embrace it.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 04:57 AM
People are complaining because Poe was an average player while in the conference USA. There was no talk of him going first round until the combine. Now tell me, why does his combine numbers shoot you from round 3 to round 1? The last guy to shoot up like that because of combine numbers was Vernon Gloston. Poe was just as big, strong and athletic in college where he did not dominate, why would we think that would change when he gets to the NFL? He was not the top NT on Kiper or McShay's board and before the draft they even said he'd be a 3-4 DE because he's too soft for NT. Poe and Ngata should never be mentioned together because Ngata was a dominate force in college unlike Poe. Ngata didn't come to the NFL only on pure "potential" like . PS: Round 4 we take Poe's polar opposite Jared Crick, not the physical freak but hard nosed productive player with a nonstop motor

chief31
04-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Well, it's a scary pick. But, if The Steelers had made this pick, I would have no doubt that it was the right choice. So, for me, it really is all about RAC here. And I am confident in his ability to coach the defense.

Now, I am hearing things about how he was not projected in the first round until after the combine, but that simply isn't true. I don't watch a lot of college ball, but I do look at a lot of mock drafts, and he was in the first round of most of the drafts I saw, from the end of the season, up to Thursday. In fact, I would say that he was in the first round less often, after the combine.

This guy was the consensus premier NT available, and it is the one position where our starter was a real question mark.

I am positive that he was not drafted because of his combine. Did it hurt? Of course not. But I have no doubt that The Chiefs looked at everything about this guy before picking him. They did not just throw a name out there because time was running out. I don't think that most grade school kids would have made that kind of mistake if they had been in charge from the end of last season.

I am an o-line guy, so I definitely wanted to see an O-lineman picked. But I realize that NT is the most important position on a 3-4 defense, it was the only position that we did have a starter for, and we picked up the top prospect for that position.

But NT is a position that does not accumulate stats, so I expect that team success, and the opinions of the TV talking heads is the only thing that will ever get most people to remove the "BUST" label that they seem to have already placed on this guy.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 05:51 AM
If anyone is gonna turn him into a player it's RAC. The problem is that I think there were better DL available that RAC could produce even better linemen out of. My confidence may be lacking a bit being that 0 of Pioli's DL picks have panned out thus far. PS: BJ Raji was rated higher on nearly every "talk head" board than Tyson Jackson, and we needed a NT back then just as bad as now.

chief31
04-28-2012, 05:52 AM
If anyone is gonna turn him into a player it's RAC. The problem is that I think there were better DL available that RAC could produce even better linemen out of. My confidence may be lacking a bit being that 0 of Pioli's DL picks have panned out thus far. PS: BJ Raji was rated higher on nearly every "talk head" board than Tyson Jackson, and we needed a NT back then just as bad as now.

RAC disagrees.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Multiple ESPN experts agree. RAC is a coach not a talent evaluator like they are.

chief31
04-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Multiple ESPN experts agree. RAC is a coach not a talent evaluator like they are.

They are professional critics. NFL scouts, GMs and coaches are professional talent evaluators.

If you want to go with the TV personalities, that's up to you.

I am going to with the professionals.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Kiper and McShay scout and evaluate talent for a living and that's literally all they do all year. Also, Pioli seems to know something everyone Poe played again in college doen't. Poe was voted to the second-team all-Conference USA.

chief31
04-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Kiper and McShay scout and evaluate talent for a living and that's literally all they do all year. Also, Pioli seems to know something everyone Poe played again in college doen't. Poe was voted to the second-team all-Conference USA.

Ok. You got me.

It is obvious that there have never been a stupider, less qualified group than The Chiefs.

Kiper is a tool, and I have never heard of McShay.

But I guarantee that the Chiefs' scouting crew does more player evaluation than either of them.

But, since they are only paid directly for that, and not to make "bold predictions" on TV, clearly they should be fired so the team can just do whatever Mel Kiper says.

And he wasn't a stat magnet in college? Darn it! We all know that a NT has to be stat magnet. What were we thinking?!?!?!?

Look, all sarcasm aside, I just think that too many people turned against Poe after he lit up the combine. He was the top-ranked NT before that, and he even remained the top-ranked NT after everybody got scared off by his success at the combine.

Maybe he will be the worst draft choice of the year. Maybe he will strip down and show his worm to the world on his first play, and get booted from the league.

But if you are asking me to trust Mel Kiper over the entire Chiefs staff, and most of The NFL world, sorry, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Kiper and his ilk try to evaluate every single player available, and scouts are sent to evaluate certain players, and get a more concentrated effort into each, than what guys trying to evaluate some three hundred plus players can get.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Kiper has a heck of a lot better track record rating DL than Pioli does right now with the Chiefs so hard to bash him. Kiper doesn't care about stats he cares about the same reason Poe was second team C-USA, he plays soft and doesn't have the nonstop motor you need at NT. By next week I'll be over it I guess and just hope the best with Poe. Right now it's lose/lose for me. Either I'm proven wrong, or my favorite team ends up with a complete bust lol. But hey I'm happy with our 2nd round pick being Glenn was gone. And btw we were offered "compelling" deals to trade down according to associated press and Pioli turned them down. Wonder if we'll ever hear what was really offered.

chief31
04-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Kiper has a heck of a lot better track record rating DL than Pioli does right now with the Chiefs so hard to bash him. Kiper doesn't care about stats he cares about the same reason Poe was second team C-USA, he plays soft and doesn't have the nonstop motor you need at NT. By next week I'll be over it I guess and just hope the best with Poe. Right now it's lose/lose for me. Either I'm proven wrong, or my favorite team ends up with a complete bust lol. But hey I'm happy with our 2nd round pick being Glenn was gone. And btw we were offered "compelling" deals to trade down according to associated press and Pioli turned them down. Wonder if we'll ever hear what was really offered.

Yeah. Forgive my sarcastic attitude. I just think that guys like Kiper get far too much credit. If they were really as good at talent evaluation as they like to think they are, then NFL teams would just fire their staff and do whatever he says on TV.

Not that I think they are just terrible. Just that I know how little work they are capable of putting into players, when they are spread so far between so many players throughout college. And that is why I have to trust other evaluators, because there are just far too many teams, and players, for me to ever even think about trying to keep track of everybody.

And I think Tyson Jackson has turned into a superb 3-4 DE, so I give the edge to Pioli anyway.:D

nigeriannightmare
04-28-2012, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=HaliForPresident;259852]Kiper and McShay scout and evaluate talent for a living and that's literally all they do all year. Also, Pioli seems to know something everyone Poe played again in college doen't. Poe was voted to the second-team all-Conference USA

This argument is old. He played every technique on the line. He received very little coaching, the hc at memphis admitted it in an interview. Had he gone to a.football.school it would have been different story.

AkChief49
04-28-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm warming to the pick. I believe that RAC knows a bit more about talent than Chocula or McShay. He dang sure knows more about coaching, molding players than either of those desk jockeys. Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm a Chiefs fan. Wishful thinking is a prerequisite of any fan. I'm pretty happy with the back to back oline picks too!!

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm not a fan of Jackson. I understand DE are run stoppers, but they have to have some sort of ability to pressure the QB. You can't just rely on one OLB to pressure the QB every play, you expect the DEs to get pressure and sacks on occasion but he never really does. And being we have fairly good LBs (2 pro bowlers) yet we were poor against the run that doesn't bode well for his run stopping ability... hopefully Poe can help that in the years to come

Canada
04-28-2012, 10:45 AM
A lot of that is due to the fact that we have not had a good NT in this defense...ever...

Ryfo18
04-28-2012, 11:51 AM

But did Kiper and McShay watch every single 2011 snap from him AND snaps from 2010 like Pioli/RAC said they did? I doubt it.

Kiper/McShay are entertainers that happen to evaluate talent. Just b/c they're on ESPN does not mean they are good at what they do. Kiper is the same guy who ranked Jimmy Clausen as the number 4 overall player in 2010!

McShay has even been accused of plagiarizing other draft analysts (source: http://walterfootball.com/mcshay.php).

If you do take Kiper's analysis seriously though, you should read this from just a week ago: 2012 NFL Draft: Mel Kiper Says Chiefs Need Dontari Poe, Amini Silatolu To Earn 'A' Grade - SB Nation Kansas City (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/4/20/2961596/2012-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-says-chiefs-need-dontari-poe-amini-silatolu)

texaschief
04-28-2012, 02:55 PM
This whole discussion needs to stop.

I told y'all the descent about this pick originated with the talking heads. :lol:

If you're REALLY going to base your opinion about Poe off what Kiper and McShay say about him, you honestly have no part in this discussion.

... and for the record, Kiper thought Poe was a great pick for KC... just saying.

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 03:38 PM
This whole discussion needs to stop.

I told y'all the descent about this pick originated with the talking heads. :lol:

If you're REALLY going to base your opinion about Poe off what Kiper and McShay say about him, you honestly have no part in this discussion.

... and for the record, Kiper thought Poe was a great pick for KC... just saying.

Agreed. One can no longer look at the Poe selection like it's THE entire draft for 2012. They can easily justify selecting Poe at #11 with the guys they took afterward, especially the two O-Lineman that they took that both have good pass-blocking skills.

It was inevitable that they were going to have a draft where they made a run on some BEEF with their top 2 or 3 selections. The skill position talent is already there, so the time was right for it.

jason1981
04-29-2012, 12:46 AM
well i heard on the radio that poe's dline coach was the best in college and that his coach said that poe was the best player he ever coached. it was on 610am radio. dont know much about the station so take it as its worth. but sounds promising.

Ryfo18
04-29-2012, 01:02 AM
well i heard on the radio that poe's dline coach was the best in college and that his coach said that poe was the best player he ever coached. it was on 610am radio. dont know much about the station so take it as its worth. but sounds promising.

To elaborate, the Memphis coaches were saying it's more their fault that he never reached his potential on the field. I'm too lazy to look right now, but it's out there.

nigeriannightmare
04-29-2012, 01:35 AM
To elaborate, the Memphis coaches were saying it's more their fault that he never reached his potential on the field. I'm too lazy to look right now, but it's out there.

Read the same rhing, he was so talented they didnt know how to use him.

AussieChiefsFan
04-29-2012, 06:07 AM
If he plays in the NFL the way he performed at the Combine - Great Draft!

OPLookn
04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Ok, ok, first off, let me apologize for my two comments. I've had some time to cool down after the pick and after a weekend of thinking about it, watching reels on youtube (because that seems to be the only place I can find Poe material) I'm better with this pick.

My biggest problem with Poe has to be that he's a development project and I wanted someone that would step in immediately and make us even better. While pushing that starter that was there to a backup role which would have made us at least as good as we were. Obviously this isn't what happened.

For me, initially it was that everyone was saying he's got the intangibles, wasn't coached, didn't make 1st team in a weak conference...whatever. When there's doubt in a 1st round pick it doesn't sit well with me.

I'll admit that I'm still a bit leary about the pick but I think that this guy will be developed and won't be any worse than what we had with Gregg last year. That's with Poe being a rookie. So here's to Poe hitting his ceiling, breaking that and making me wish I'd never said an ill word about him being drafted to begin with!

On another note is it possible to shut my account down or at least not give me access to posting til 24 hrs AFTER the draft?

:lol:

Seek
04-30-2012, 01:23 PM
They are professional critics. NFL scouts, GMs and coaches are professional talent evaluators.

If you want to go with the TV personalities, that's up to you.

I am going to with the professionals.

I really like Crennel, but I don't ever recall his teams in Cleveland being filled with great talent. Now maybe he had no say in that, but I would find that very hard to believe. I agree that Crennel is a great coach, and probably not the best Scout.

What bothers me is that, I think Crennel is drafting people that have great potentional that he believes he can coach up but did not show it on the field. The excuse of he played so many positions may be a valid argument, or it is just an excuse to cover up the big question mark that critiques as throwing at Poe. There is a lot of Risk and Reward and so far historically these risk reward players are all the Same regardless of who picked them then. Siavii was a physically talented freak but had pscyh problems. Tank Tyler was a huge Combine warrior that was considered a huge Steal if we could coach him up. Eddie Freeman etc....... Fact of the matter we do not know if this is a good pick or not and the only postive to this pick is that RAC is coaching him up. I know he is a good coach but can you blame me for being very skeptical based on this type of player.

I did not like Herm Edwards as a coach but did like him as a Scout and Herm picked players based on what they did on the field.

Until Poe himself proves me to be wrong, I will not be happy with this pick.

Seek
04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
If he plays in the NFL the way he performed at the Combine - Great Draft!
If all the players we drafted over the years performed as they do at the Combine, we wouldn't have a need at NT at all.

brdempsey69
04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, regarding Poe, he's going to get a chance to play on a good football team with good coaching -- something he didn't get to do in college, therefore I stand behind the pick. Especially with the resounding way they addressed the O-Line in rounds 2 and 3 combined with the signing of Winston.