04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
From Walterfootball.com

Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma
Height: 6-6. Weight: 312.
40 Time: 4.94.
Bench: 19.
Arm: 34 7/8.
Projected Round (2012): 3-4.
4/24/12: Stephenson is a mobile tackle who could fit on the right side in the NFL. He would probably be best in a zone-blocking system as he doesn't have the power for a man-blocking scheme. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Stephenson showed off real athleticism and blazed a fast 40 time, but had a disappointing total on the bench press. He has left tackle experience, so he could play the left side if there was an injury.

Probably just a depth pick at this point, but he fits in a zone blocking system and he has experience at LT.

kylebigmac09
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
From Walterfootball.com

Probably just a depth pick at this point, but he fits in a zone blocking system and he has experience at LT.
Local kid. From Blue Springs HS

texaschief
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
This pick just sealed Allen's fate... Allen will be an offensive guard with Stephenson providing depth at the OT positions.

jap1
04-27-2012, 10:01 PM
This pick just sealed Allen's fate... Allen will be an offensive guard with Stephenson providing depth at the OT positions.

I like it!

:bananen_smilies046:

kcchiefs29
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Not the pick I wanted but can't say I'm surprised. Would rather have seen a safety, but I came into this draft knowing I wanted to see two OL picks.

texaschief
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't understand why if we were going to take an OT, they didn't take Bobby Massie... he's still available on my board... did I miss him going to someone?

brdempsey69
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Not the pick I wanted but can't say I'm surprised. Would rather have seen a safety, but I came into this draft knowing I wanted to see two OL picks.

San Diego jumped ahead of them & took Safety Brandon Taylor of LSU. The Chiefs might have taken Taylor with next pick, but with him gone they went with next highest rated player on their board & why not another O-Lineman. They've been way overdue to load up on O-Lineman in one their drafts & they O-Line situation looks so much better than has in years.

Overall, nice work by the Chiefs brass, for using this draft to feed us fans that were hungry for some quality BEEF !! :D

I don't understand why if we were going to take an OT, they didn't take Bobby Massie... he's still available on my board... did I miss him going to someone?

Not much difference between the two size-wise, but Stephenson has the better footwork and he's faster and better suited for the ZBS according to the NFL.com scouting reports.

Ryfo18
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
The O-line depth last year was a joke. Two solid additions to the squad. Wouldn't be surprised if Allen is taking snaps from Lilja before the end of the year.

Stephenson sounds like Albert insurance if you ask me.

jap1
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM

He is still there. He was projected in the 2nd round, so maybe there is something on tape that a lot of teams dont like.

chiefnut
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM

nope he is still there, many teams passing on him for other OT's

bricooper78
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
There seems to be good OL depth this year, I've only watched a couple years, but it amazes me how some of these guys go from being a good pick to a leper with these teams.

btw, i only got nfl network 2 years ago...stupid iowa and middle of nowhere lol

slc chief
04-28-2012, 01:04 AM
because he sucks and is falling for a reason

slc chief
04-28-2012, 01:06 AM
From Walterfootball.com

if he is only a depth pick in the 3rd round we got problems

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
if he is only a depth pick in the 3rd round we got problems

I think they mean depth for this year. Stephenson will likely be pushing for starting job by year 2. He has great footwork, long arms, and decent pass-blocking skills. They ran a pro-style, pass-first Offense in Oklahoma & he's a great fit for the Chiefs ZBS.

It's not expected of him to supplant Branden Albert at LT at 2012. It is 50/50 that Albert is gone after 2012 & if that is the case, then Stephenson should be ready to take over at LT in 2013.

Hayvern
04-28-2012, 03:10 AM
I see it a very real possibility that Albert will move inside to guard this year.

texaschief
04-28-2012, 03:19 AM
I see it a very real possibility that Albert will move inside to guard this year.

Replaced by whom? Allen? I don't think so. The Chiefs announced him as a guard BY the best guard to play for the Chiefs... think they knew what position they were gonna take? lol Allen is a guard. period.

Stephenson is a project and probably won't play OT at the next level. He's just not big enough. Looking at him though, he looks like a prototypical center.

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Stephenson is a project and probably won't play OT at the next level. He's just not big enough. Looking at him though, he looks like a prototypical center.

Say what ??? He's 6-6 and 312 lbs and that's about exactly the same size as Albert. He also runs a 4.94 in the 40-yard dash. Pioli has said to the media in a video on KCChiefs.com that he is a strictly a Tackle.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Ya he is plenty big enough for OT, it's more about just getting more strength on him. That said, bench press alone is not a good way to evaluate a player's strength. Players with longer arms have a disadvantage (ex: Poe has short arms helped him look good in bench press). Also players with elite lower body strength get ignored by the combine tests

texaschief
04-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Say what ??? He's 6-6 and 312 lbs and that's about exactly the same size as Albert. He also runs a 4.94 in the 40-yard dash. Pioli has said to the media in a video on KCChiefs.com that he is a strictly a Tackle.

I haven't seen the Pioli video. He just looks real light in the *** and I'd be shocked if he stays at OT.

chiefnut
04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
allen was drafted to be liljas' replacement either this season or next, stephenson needs to bulk up a little and improve his overall strength. he will be a backup tackle this year for both sides and should be ready to rplace albert next year if he doesn't resign or just beats him out. this years line w/albert and lilja will be very good and maybe even better next year.

Coach
04-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Nothin wrong with depth at tackle. We were one play away from having no left tackle. I would like to see a safety taken next. Or a corner.

Going into this offseason our two biggest needs were OL and NT. Check and check! Great draft so far. Now time to go find some starters on special teams.

Hayvern
04-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Nothin wrong with depth at tackle. We were one play away from having no left tackle. I would like to see a safety taken next. Or a corner.

Going into this offseason our two biggest needs were OL and NT. Check and check! Great draft so far. Now time to go find some starters on special teams.

I agree with coach.

We had two main issues this year, and I know others think differently, but we have addressed those, Nose Tackle and Offensive Line, in fact, I think we have addressed the OL in spades, I could not be more happy about where were are with these picks. I know people always have their guy that they think is better, blah blah blah, I trust those meat inspectors who work with meat everyday over the backyard weekend bar-b-que guy until they poison me.

Coach
04-28-2012, 12:14 PM
After further thought, I really hope we can somehow land Kirk cousins here in the 4th.

Coach
04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Scratch that.

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 12:45 PM
We had two main issues this year, and I know others think differently, but we have addressed those, Nose Tackle and Offensive Line, in fact, I think we have addressed the OL in spades, I could not be more happy about where were are with these picks. I know people always have their guy that they think is better, blah blah blah, I trust those meat inspectors who work with meat everyday over the backyard weekend bar-b-que guy until they poison me.

You got that right. Everybody and their brother should have seen this type of draft coming where the Chiefs were going to make a run on some BEEF and that's exactly what the Chiefs needed coming into this draft & if you need it, you draft it.

They aren't doing it the NE way. This is more like Don Klosterman did it as GM, and he had a track record that few could match.

And in the 4th round they just picked up one the best kick returners in the draft in Devon Wylie, who has 4.39 speed.

Nice job, Chiefs brass.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
The day i get excited about drafting a returner... Even before they moved the kick offs up to make returners even more irrelevant I would have told you that you're wasting a pick if you draft a guy a returner. It seems that we're reaching on guys at positions we want rather than taking the best talent available

texaschief
04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
The guy is a slot receiver. They're looking for Wes Welker... just because he returned kicks doesn't mean that's what this pick was about... especially with McCluster and Arenas already on the team.

ChiefMojo
04-29-2012, 12:16 PM
I like the Stephenson pick because you have a very athletic LT that can be brought along slowly. Give him more time to fill out, get up to speed technique wise and in general get him acclimated into the NFL world.

2-3 years from now he could end up being the starting LT depending on Albert. In the mean time he gives us a good swing tackle but I would still assume Allen will be in the mix for that even though RG seems to be his destination.

chief31
04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
You got that right. Everybody and their brother should have seen this type of draft coming where the Chiefs were going to make a run on some BEEF and that's exactly what the Chiefs needed coming into this draft & if you need it, you draft it.

They aren't doing it the NE way. This is more like Don Klosterman did it as GM, and he had a track record that few could match.

And in the 4th round they just picked up one the best kick returners in the draft in Devon Wylie, who has 4.39 speed.

Nice job, Chiefs brass.

Well, I didn't see it coming. I saw it coming for like five straight years, without it actually happening, so I just lowered my expectations.:D

But I am quite happy to finally see the big men brought in with such force.

brdempsey69
04-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, I didn't see it coming. I saw it coming for like five straight years, without it actually happening, so I just lowered my expectations.:D

But I am quite happy to finally see the big men brought in with such force.

The timing was perfect for this year, especially with the skill position talent that they have on their Offense now.

Both, Allen and Stephenson have pass-blocking skills & we could very well be looking at the starting left side of the Chiefs O-Line in 2013.

Chiefster
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM

I would have much rather had Decastro than Poe in that first round though.

jason1981
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
i like poe rsther then the decastro. if he was that grewt he woukd have been chosen way before the 23 or 24th pick which ever it was. so the chiefs werent alone on under valueing him. not saying i woukd have been upset either way but i like poe more plus he feelw our greater need amd im excited we finally stopped using stop gap players tk get by at nt. and i dont think poe woukd have been there if we had traded down either. im glad we stay put i hate when we trade back cuz it means there not convicted on any guys. they finally had a conviction on ooe and they took him. im happy they stood on their conviction and i dont fault them at all. they know more about poe then we do so you have to trust them if u want to or not.

OPLookn
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
i like poe rsther then the decastro. if he was that grewt he woukd have been chosen way before the 23 or 24th pick which ever it was. so the chiefs werent alone on under valueing him. not saying i woukd have been upset either way but i like poe more plus he feelw our greater need amd im excited we finally stopped using stop gap players tk get by at nt. and i dont think poe woukd have been there if we had traded down either. im glad we stay put i hate when we trade back cuz it means there not convicted on any guys. they finally had a conviction on ooe and they took him. im happy they stood on their conviction and i dont fault them at all. they know more about poe then we do so you have to trust them if u want to or not.

I'm guessing you posted this from your phone but even if you did good god...

70 chiefsfan70
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm guessing you posted this from your phone but even if you did good god...

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!!!! EASE UP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OPLookn
04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!!!! EASE UP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know, I know...it's just it's towards the end of my work day and I get to a paragraph that I have to dissect and then have to figure out what the words are suppose to be, woukd instead of would. Just wasn't an easy read when my mind is close to a jello substance.

It took me a long time and felt like giving him some grief, no hard feelings...or so I'm hoping.

:lol:

KCMASS
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
[quote=OPLookn;260129]I'm guessing you posted this from your phone but even if you did good god...

OPLookn: If you're a "real" Chiefs fan you could spell your favorite players name correctly...It's "Dwayne" Bowe, Not Duane. Just thought I would give you an FYI.

OPLookn
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
[quote=OPLookn;260129]I'm guessing you posted this from your phone but even if you did good god...

OPLookn: If you're a "real" Chiefs fan you could spell your favorite players name correctly...It's "Dwayne" Bowe, Not Duane. Just thought I would give you an FYI.

That's been like that since I joined the site a loooong time back. I do believe you're the first person to ever call me on that. Oh...and fixed it, thx!

:lol: