PDA

View Full Version : devon wylie 4 th round

slc chief
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Devon Wylie Highlights Fresno State - YouTube

slc chief
04-28-2012, 12:53 PM
bowe,wylie.baldwin mccluster in a 4 receiver set would be pretty scary add moaki to that and uh oh.this kid plays fast looks like we are getting stronger and faster

jason1981
04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
kinda looks like we just got another mccluster. i dont know the talent at safety but we need depth at safety. just think wr is one of our deepest in depth. im happy with our draft and i think poe will turn out good but dont know about the rest of our fradts. none of them was even on best avavaiable at their position and not even close. so i hope they know what they saw. im nkt an evaluator but everyones list of best avaiable even on their ranking liwt they were way down on the list compared to who was stil available. im satisfied though that we addressed ol and dl. just not super excited.

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the link to the vid.

WOW!! This guy can play & he's going make an impact in the kick return game right away.

slc chief
04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
for depth there are plenty of free agent safetys to be had after the draft , and even more to come when teams start slimming down there rosters.yeremiah bell and atogwe come to mind for me. i think piolis vision with this years draft was to get stronger and faster and with the chiefs picks so far we have definantly gotten beefier and faster. this kid will be an awesome special teams player as well.

LlamaNinja
04-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah I am enjoying the draft so far myself.

Ryfo18
04-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Guy weighs 187 lbs and benched 225 17 times. That is nuts!

Coach
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
I saw this guy's combine workout. He has GREAT hands. And great feet. I remember thinking we should target this guy later in the draft. Love this pick a lot.

HaliForPresident
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
The guy had 700 yards receiving as a redshirt Senior. He didn't even lead Fresno State in receiving... We just wasted another draft pick on a returner. And before anyone tries it do not compare him to Wes Welker. Wes was at least the best WR on his college team.

Coach
04-28-2012, 02:56 PM
The guy had 700 yards receiving as a redshirt Senior. He didn't even lead Fresno State in receiving... We just wasted another draft pick on a returner. And before anyone tries it do not compare him to Wes Welker. Wes was at least the best WR on his college team.

Here's a news flash for you. Anyone we drafted in this round had no chance of starting. This guy was not drafted to start in front of our two 1st rd pick WR's(Bowe and Baldwin). This is a special teams guy who can help us multiple positions in a pinch. We are getting to the point in the draft where anyone we draft will be struggling to make the 53 man roster. This isn't the same team from 5 years ago that was littered with holes.

My only criticism of our draft so far is that we didn't package a bunch of these late picks to move up a few spots in the earlier rounds.

LlamaNinja
04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
I am glad that late draft picks are no longer potential starters tbh... haha

figcrostic
04-28-2012, 03:50 PM

:whipping1: He's a 4th round pick! What do you expect Randy Moss in his prime? I almost put this guy on my list of people I wanted that were left in the draft he's a very good player and very versatile. Not mention this guy works perfectly for Cassel, he's an amazing slot receiver and if you get him in open space he will burn anyone on the field

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 04:01 PM
:whipping1: He's a 4th round pick! What do you expect Randy Moss in his prime? I almost put this guy on my list of people I wanted that were left in the draft he's a very good player and very versatile. Not mention this guy works perfectly for Cassel, he's an amazing slot receiver and if you get him in open space he will burn anyone on the field

Not only that, but McCluster played much better as a RB last year than he did the year before as a slot guy, so yes, this was a need pick for the Chiefs.

And who knows what McCluster might be able to do at RB this year with an upgraded O-Line?

figcrostic
04-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Not only that, but McCluster played much better as a RB last year than he did the year before as a slot guy, so yes, this was a need pick for the Chiefs.

And who knows what McCluster might be able to do at RB this year with an upgraded O-Line?

I'm so psyched even Cassel can't F this year up!

Three7s
04-28-2012, 06:26 PM

I'm not very high on McCluster, but I'd say drafting Wylie and Gray puts McCluster on a really short leash.

brdempsey69
04-28-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm not very high on McCluster, but I'd say drafting Wylie and Gray puts McCluster on a really short leash.

I like McCluster, but always thought he was drafted too high at #36 overall & at the wrong time when the team had too many other needs -- especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Wylie stayed healthy in 2011, was one of the nations leading punt returners ( took 2 back for TD's, one was a 79-yarder against Nebraska ), performed well all week at the East-West shrine game practices & wowed scouts at the combine.

As for Gray, I'll never understand how he lasted until the 6th round, other than Texas A&M RB's not having a stellar track record in the NFL ( see Greg Hill -- Chiefs 1994 1st round pick ). Good selection for the Chiefs in round 6. Hillis only signed a 1-yr contract and nothing is etched in stone regarding Charles and McCluster is not as explosive as Charles was prior to his injury.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Mccluster cant play WR, we already tried him in the slot when we drafted him. Looks like this will be our slot guy

I really don't no why you are so down on Mccluster.

I think it's far to early to say if he can be a slot guy or not. Rookie years are not the best year to judge a guy. His 2nd season this past year he was put in a different role when Charles went down. He had to go far more in the backfield then what was planned out. Mccluster didn't do to poorly last season either. He was 2nd in yardage behind Bowe. I just don't see why you are so down on him.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2012, 02:20 AM
No he didnt do poorly. I think hes a solid player especially in the open field. The problem is we already have a speed back in Jamaal Charles, when charles plays and is healthy there isn't much room for mccluster

See again you're not looking at the whole picture. You just assume that Mccluster can't be a good slot WR. Based on what. The very limited time that he had to do it. His first year he wasn't great I grant you but that was his rookie year. His 2nd year he didn't get as many chances at that spot due to losing Charles. One way or anther Mccluster is going to get the ball in games. And he adds some nice insurance in case something happens to Charles. He proved he can fill in and give at least part of what Charles can. I have done a complete turn on his pick. Trust me when he was first picked I thought it was stupid. But I have seen some good things early on from him. I think he can be a play making guy. Maybe not one that will be top in the NFL but he can make plays. I am glad to have him.

TopekaRoy
04-29-2012, 03:33 AM
See again you're not looking at the whole picture. You just assume that Mccluster can't be a good slot WR. Based on what. The very limited time that he had to do it. His first year he wasn't great I grant you but that was his rookie year. His 2nd year he didn't get as many chances at that spot due to losing Charles. One way or anther Mccluster is going to get the ball in games. And he adds some nice insurance in case something happens to Charles. He proved he can fill in and give at least part of what Charles can. I have done a complete turn on his pick. Trust me when he was first picked I thought it was stupid. But I have seen some good things early on from him. I think he can be a play making guy. Maybe not one that will be top in the NFL but he can make plays. I am glad to have him.

Well said, but I don't know why you continue to engage MMO in conversation. (I don't know why I do it either!)

He has shown time and time again that he will not hesitate to talk negative about the Chiefs. Whether it is Matt Cassel, or Tyson Jackson, or Dexter McCluster, or Scott Pioli, he's going to take every opportunity he can to rip on the Chiefs. Oh, but he likes the Dontari Poe pick (so do I), one of the lest popular picks on this board.

He likes whatever most people dislike and dislikes whatever most people like. Hes a contrarion.

:troll31:

ChiefMojo
04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I like the pick on multiple levels. First off Wylie gives us a true jitter bug slot receiver (I'm not going to say the name who he compares to). Breaston is more of your classic Pro-Style slot receiver that can move to the outside as well depending on the personnel package.

Personally I see McCluster as a #4 RB, a back-up slot receiver and special teams. I like McCluster but I don't see how much longer he will last in KC unless he really starts to produce at a very high level when he gets his chances.

Also Wylie is a very good return man and a VERY GOOD gunner on kickoff/punts. His extreme speed, quickness and agility makes it easy for him to get down the field, break down and make the tackle.

TopekaRoy
04-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Dexter Mccluster No longer slot WR for Chiefs

The Chiefs list Dexter McCluster as a wide receiver on their roster and depth chart, but his future as a slot receiver is over, at least for now. The team has used McCluster exclusively at running back in their offense during the preseason, where he is being utilized in special packages behind running backs Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles.

Read more: Dexter McCluster no longer slot receiver in Chiefs' offense - NFL - Sporting News (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-22/possible-hed-dexter-mccluster-no-longer-slot-receiver-in-chiefs-offense#ixzz1tShu97Ll)

How am I a troll?

That's strange. That article is from last August and ESPN still has him listed as a WR. (source (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13207/dexter-mccluster)) I wonder why they haven't picked up on that, yet?

matthewschiefs
04-29-2012, 06:02 PM
The deal with Mccluster is that he was drafted to do both play some WR and get some Carries. He was FORCED to play more HB last year. That doesn't mean he will be kept in that role when Charles is back and now that we have Hillis. Mccluster was drafted to be a playmaker when they got him the ball. He will get the ball a few times a game. It's far to early to say that he will never be good in the WR role. He just hasn't had much more then a rookie year to grow in that role. Regardless of what he was drafted to do what he has done is what matters. Last year he was 2nd on the team in yardage. Outside of Bowe he was the offense last year. I really don't see anything that he has done that would make him a negitive. He is a playmaker and last year he showed he can be a good one.

TopekaRoy
04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
The deal with Mccluster is that he was drafted to do both play some WR and get some Carries. He was FORCED to play more HB last year. That doesn't mean he will be kept in that role when Charles is back and now that we have Hillis. Mccluster was drafted to be a playmaker when they got him the ball. He will get the ball a few times a game. It's far to early to say that he will never be good in the WR role. He just hasn't had much more then a rookie year to grow in that role. Regardless of what he was drafted to do what he has done is what matters. Last year he was 2nd on the team in yardage. Outside of Bowe he was the offense last year. I really don't see anything that he has done that would make him a negitive. He is a playmaker and last year he showed he can be a good one.

Exactly! Everyone was saying that for him to be effective we have to get him the ball in space. He actually did a decent job running the ball, but he can still be used for short passes and laterals out of the backfield. I think we will see him in a much different role this year, especially with the addition of Hillis to complement Charles at RB.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Well said, but I don't know why you continue to engage MMO in conversation. (I don't know why I do it either!)

LOL It's the offseason and theres not a whole lot eles to do right now. It keeps me busy. That and like I said In anther post I understand why he makes the post he does I am seen the same way on Indians forums.

70 chiefsfan70
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Exactly! Everyone was saying that for him to be effective we have to get him the ball in space. He actually did a decent job running the ball, but he can still be used for short passes and laterals out of the backfield. I think we will see him in a much different role this year, especially with the addition of Hillis to complement Charles at RB.

Also add the much upgraded OL and he could have a huge year, this coming season.