PDA

View Full Version : cassell has no excuses this year

slc chief
04-28-2012, 01:22 PM
now that they have given him a ligitimate o-line. and the fact he will have an awesome run game with more than enough weapons to throw to. he had better produce this year.if he can put up numbers that reflect the 2010 season it is going to be a great year. if not he needs to be cut the first day after the 2012 season

LlamaNinja
04-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Well he did look good in 2010 I though it was just the OC coach using him in a limited capacity...which I still feel to be the case. If we have Hilis, CHarles, and Battle we should be able to be a defensive team that uses the offense to let the def rest and give us a few points.

KCMASS
04-28-2012, 05:05 PM
You are right, he has NONE

My Man Orton: You're are so damn negative! Almost every post I read....You don't have a nice thing to say!

figcrostic
04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
My Man Orton: You're are so damn negative! Almost every post I read....You don't have a nice thing to say!

He is negative, but I wouldn't call that a negative post even if you love Cassel he has so many weapons and a solid O-line he has no exscuse

dennystillchiefs
04-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I do agree' I really like Cassel I have a feeling with the players he has around Him now,and Haley gone He is going to have a great year.if he does'nt time to look else were. No excuse,s

KCMASS
04-28-2012, 05:14 PM
He is negative, but I wouldn't call that a negative post even if you love Cassel he has so many weapons and a solid O-line he has no exscuseI'm not a Cassel "Fanboy" by any means! Just that almost everything that comes out of My Man Orton (which is a stupid handle BTW) is so negative! Geez...I'm sick of this guy! Just like politics....Can't be too left or right!

figcrostic
04-28-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm not a Cassel "Fanboy" by any means! Just that almost everything that comes out of My Man Orton (which is a stupid handle BTW) is so negative! Geez...I'm sick of this guy! Just like politics....Can't be too left or right!

I agree you can't be too left or right, I personally feel Cassel doesn't suck nor is he great is slightly above average, but we might be able to win with that. If not then I would get rid of him in a heart beat.

drstandley31
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Cassel will be fine, assuming he doesn't get hurt. I try to remember that this kid really only has a couple years of experience at a high level of football. He didn't even play in college. being out most of last year set him back a little in experience, but I think he's developing into a good QB. Hopefully we have good OC to go with good OL! I have faith in him.

#58ChiefsFan
04-28-2012, 10:47 PM
There is plenty of potential on this roster now, it is up to all involved to form that potential into a team. Not one person at one position, that is make or break. but 53 players together. In addition the new coaches must gel into this team.

As Chiefs fans we look at the moves that have been made since the departure of Haley and see the positives, MMO has a different view sometimes and I'm not interested in debating that. I will say that I'm excited to see what Romeo can do with what we have now but cautious optimism would be best. As a Chiefs fan anything less then 10 wins will be failure to me.

matthewschiefs
04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I would agree This is the best talent that Cassel has had around him. It's time to shine. OUtside of the whole offense being lost to injury then ITS TIME TO START PUTTING THE POINTS ON THE BOARD. If he can't then well it's time to find a qb that can

matthewschiefs
04-28-2012, 11:30 PM

I can say at least I understand Orton that's why I have never said that he's a troll or anything like that. He is unhappy with management so he's going to be down on most of what they do. I myself think that he's taking the anger out on the wrong people. It was the group before that got us in the whole that we were in not this group. But I can understand. I am seen the same way he is on here on the Cleveland Indians fourms. I am a Indians fan and not a troll and am seen the same way. Orton I hope will at least be able to admit that he was wrong when the Chiefs are holding the Superbowl Trophey next year

jason1981
04-29-2012, 12:56 AM
well we improved our team so cassel should be better but one problem so did every other team. so we can say we surrounded him with better players but our opponents just got.better as wel and i think perty much all teams had good drsfts in my opinion. some queston picks but overal i dont think any team had a bad draft. oakland is an exception cuz lack of picks.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2012, 01:51 AM
And if the Chiefs went to the AFC title game i would admit that i was wrong and would be proud to do so. I said in a previous post that I would love to see Cassel succeed, he seems like a nice dude, doesn't get in trouble with the law and doesnt seem to run around on his wife. Prove me wrong! And Matt we were actually blessed from the previous regime (I mean Herm) look at the draft picks pioli inherited. They are are main impact guys with the exception of berry. Its the dick vermeil's drafts that ended up killing us in 06-08

I think you need to go back and look at some of herms and CPs picks. Yes they had a good number that we are now getting some good play out of. But they had a great number of stinkers to.

Will Franklin,Herb Tayler,Brodie,Jeff Webb,Barry Richardson,Justin Medlock,Brad Chottom (got hurt real bad didn't work out) Kolby Smith (also couldn't stay healty) Marcus Maxy

I give Herm and CP credit on the players that did work out But I think your not looking at there whole draft picture.

matthewschiefs
04-29-2012, 02:27 AM
He had flakes but he also drafted some very good players. Something we didn't see in the vermeil era or this current one (pioli) Although we still need another year or 2 to see the 11 draft class. Give Herm credit.

He drafted...

The best pass rusher in the afc

A top 5 WR

A top 5 cb

A top 5 RB

And what I am starting to believe is one of the best ILB in the game (DJ) Thanks can go to crennel for the development

First off Vermile Drafted DJ not herm. DJ was in the 05 class Vermiles last season

Anther thing you have to keep in mind with Herm and Cp is they didn't really bring in free agents. They also traded one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in his prime away from a team that had very little Pass rush. (Jarad Allen) who in a couple of years had more sacks by himself the the Chiefs did as a team. Think about that.

Herm and Cp are part of the reason that we have a good team right now (could be great) but they are also good part of the reason that this team went to 2-14 Vermile does share in that blame as well. But Herm and CP made mistakes that help put this team on the bottom of the NFL.

AussieChiefsFan
04-29-2012, 03:30 AM
First off Vermile Drafted DJ not herm. DJ was in the 05 class Vermiles last season

Anther thing you have to keep in mind with Herm and Cp is they didn't really bring in free agents. They also traded one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in his prime away from a team that had very little Pass rush. (Jarad Allen) who in a couple of years had more sacks by himself the the Chiefs did as a team. Think about that.

Herm and Cp are part of the reason that we have a good team right now (could be great) but they are also good part of the reason that this team went to 2-14 Vermile does share in that blame as well. But Herm and CP made mistakes that help put this team on the bottom of the NFL.

Exactly

TopekaRoy
04-29-2012, 03:42 AM
He had flakes but he also drafted some very good players. Something we didn't see in the vermeil era or this current one (pioli) Although we still need another year or 2 to see the 11 draft class. Give Herm credit.

Seriously, everybody that Herm/Carl drafted has been a Chief for 4-6 years now and the good ones are just starting to come into their prime.

Nobody that Pioli has drafted has played more than 3 years. You have to give players time to develop. But you aren't willing to do that. If a player doesn't excel in his first year then he is a bust. Well, I guess by your standards Bowe and Hali are both busts!

KCMASS
04-29-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree you can't be too left or right, I personally feel Cassel doesn't suck nor is he great is slightly above average, but we might be able to win with that. If not then I would get rid of him in a heart beat.

If you notice my handle (KCMASS) I live outside Boston. The Patriots are my 2nd favorite team. When Cassel came to KC, all my friends said..."Oh..You got a steal & you have a soild QB in KC now" Many people were so angry that the Pats didn't receive more compensation & not mention that EVERYONE in New England loved Mike Vrabel! My reply.." I said Cassel is an excellent back-up QB, nothing more" I still stand behind that quote.

I wished we had Trent Green when he was healthy right now. I really liked him. He was that type of QB that wasn't in the upper-echelon, but a real "soild" QB that could throw a rope. If something better comes along other then Matt, I'm all over it as well.

KCraised
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Cassel strikes me as the weak link on the team right now. I didn't want him this year but we have him so i'll support him....for now.

ctchiefsfan
04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Give Cassel a chance. He has a solid team behind him now. If he flops this year then he deserves to get kicked to the curb.

ChiefMojo
04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
I'll give Herm credit (a little to CP) for giving the great base to our team. He believed in the youth movement and the future (even if CP was hesitant) of KC. He just didn't do enough on the field to warrant seeing it through. Scott Pioli was much better built as a personnel man to go forth on the plan than Carl Peterson was imo.

Our overall team roster is starting to take shape of a dominate contender year in and year out. We are still be quite young overall but we are starting to come into our own with many of the past 5 years draft picks.

Still don't think Matt Cassel is the guy for us going forth but I'm willing to give him one more shot this year. This IS his make or break year and to be honest I think the Chiefs are trying to ride out Cassel as long as possible until Ricky Stanzi is ready to take over full-time. Cassel has 100% no excuses now with the weapons around him and the type of protection he will be seeing from the OL. Add on top of that our #11 ranked defense should be approaching top 5 range this season imo.

TopekaRoy
04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
And I have acknowledged that. Bowe was pretty much a thousand yard WR in his first year. (Had 995 yards receiving, close enough) But we know what Tyson Jackson, Mccluster and arenas are going to do. We dont really need to give them more time. I dont even see Mccluster playing that much this year since we already have a speed back in Charles. That is why I never understood the draft pick, other than we were going to use him as a slot WR and it just didnt work out

I think we saw the value in McCluster last year when Charles got hurt. He averaged 4.5 yds per carry which was 0.5 more ypc than Jackie Battle averaged and Dexter is listed as a wide receiver! He has a lot of versatility and gives us added depth. By the way, Battle is a free agent right now and the Chiefs haven't resigned him.

jason1981
04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
can we just barry the past it gets old. the past is the past. and it doesnt solve anything bringing it up. just to have skmething tk argue about.

okikcfan
04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
can we just barry the past it gets old. the past is the past. and it doesnt solve anything bringing it up. just to have skmething tk argue about.

Yes and Thank You! Fact is this is NOT the Cassel we or they had envisioned, This will be a make it or lose it year for Cassel, if he sucks, Quinn could very well come in before the season is over. They are building an outstanding offense around Cassel. This is his to lose.

TopekaRoy
04-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I have NEVER EVER said mccluster was bad! I just never understood the pick because we already have a speed back in Charles. That is why I believe the reason we drafted mccluster was to play the slot, there is no other reason you would draft him IN THE SECOND ROUND.

Well, at the time we needed a slot receiver. I always thought we drafted him because of his versatility as a reciever/RB/ return man.

So you like the player, but you didn't like the pick at the time. Is that correct? With the benefit of hindsight, what do you think of the pick now?

Bike
04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
In defense of Cassel, he has a new HC and yet another new OC - like his 6th in his 6 years in the NFL. I'm not a big Cassel fan, but jeez, a little home comfort would sure help.
Pioli's number 1 mistake (huge) was not doing his homework before the rush to bring in Haley. Cassel had a different OC every year Haley was here. No QB can flourish under such inconsistent (mis)management as was the Chiefs these past 3 years.
So, yes, Cassel DOES have an excuse. That said, he needs to stop overthrowing recievers and start making better decisions in the pocket.

2010chiefs
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
If Cassel is back to his old ways in his first two games. Bench him. I'd hate to ride out the season and waste such a good team on him.

slc chief
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
In defense of Cassel, he has a new HC and yet another new OC - like his 6th in his 6 years in the NFL. I'm not a big Cassel fan, but jeez, a little home comfort would sure help.
Pioli's number 1 mistake (huge) was not doing his homework before the rush to bring in Haley. Cassel had a different OC every year Haley was here. No QB can flourish under such inconsistent (mis)management as was the Chiefs these past 3 years.
So, yes, Cassel DOES have an excuse. That said, he needs to stop overthrowing recievers and start making better decisions in the pocket.
it is not like cassell is not familiar with dabolls system. they were in new england together granted might not have been totly dabolls system but alot of the language and makeup is the same. HE HAS NO EXCUSE PRODUCE OR GOOD RIDDENCE

slc chief
04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
i will give you that haley was a setback for this team. come to think of it. he set back the whole team not just cassell.gawd i am glad that clown is gone.you kind of get the feeling we dont even know the half of how crazy haley went.

matthewschiefs
04-30-2012, 09:31 PM
I could understand that excuse but the fact is kyle orton steps in with less than a week of practice, plays 3 playoff caliber teams, goes 2-1 and has a better rating than cassel did this year and didnt get to play the vikings or colts

Orton also never played for Haley. He didn't have both an OC and a head coach putting there imput into the offense. Orton was never in the same spot as Cassel was. Orton also got to play a bad Packers defense that helped as well. And the other 2 games he didn't put a whole lot of points on the board.

slc chief
04-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes i know, he didnt have a full offseason and preseason to mesh with his WR. He had about 4-5 days
that is true look how palmer faired against us when he was not in sync with his wr's.

nigeriannightmare
04-30-2012, 10:03 PM
I could understand that excuse but the fact is kyle orton steps in with less than a week of practice, plays 3 playoff caliber teams, goes 2-1 and has a better rating than cassel did this year and didnt get to play the vikings or colts

THE DEFENSE WON THOSE GAMES. ORTONS THREE STARTS THE OFFENSE AVERAGED 13 PTS, THAT NORMALLY DOESNT WIN BALL GAMES. 13 pts a game is a freakong joke dude.

nigeriannightmare
04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Ok take away the record then. He still threw for more YPG and had a better rating than Cassel did. 4-5 days of practice

One touchdown in 3 games i dont care of he throws for five hindred a game if hes not scoring.

nigeriannightmare
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Ok take away the record then. He still threw for more YPG and had a better rating than Cassel did. 4-5 days of practice

Ill give u that the offense actually moved the ball, bit it was also the forst. 3 games sans tood haley too.

matthewschiefs
04-30-2012, 11:32 PM

He had more then 4-5 days. The first game he played was DEC 4th he played on snap and got hurt. His first start was DEC 18th. He had less time the Cassel did although this past season was all crazy due to the lockout deal. But Orton had more time then what you think.

KCraised
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
This just isn't a debate that can be won. Pro/anti Cassel debates have been beat into the ground. We are stuck with the dude, so let's just hope it all works out;)

ctchiefsfan
05-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Why is Orton even coming up? He's gone. He's a freaking Cowboy now. Orton is the past. GONE. BYE BYE!!!! For better or worse, what we have now is Cassel and there is no use trying to bring back or discussing water that is already long over the dam.

Bike
05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Why is Orton even coming up? He's gone. He's a freaking Cowboy now. Orton is the past. GONE. BYE BYE!!!! For better or worse, what we have now is Cassel and there is no use trying to bring back or discussing water that is already long over the dam.
No doubt.

Hayvern
05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
THE DEFENSE WON THOSE GAMES. ORTONS THREE STARTS THE OFFENSE AVERAGED 13 PTS, THAT NORMALLY DOESNT WIN BALL GAMES. 13 pts a game is a freakong joke dude.

That is the problem, the defense has been keeping us in games the last two years, we just cannot score. We have to score this year, the offense needs to average 24 points a game to compete in this league.

Cassel? Well maybe he can do it, I have my doubts. He is an URFA this year though, so he better have a good season or he will be riding the pine.

Chiefster
05-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Well if he cant succeed with all of this talent around him then he needs to retire. If we sign clark that will be clark, boss, bowe, and JC. Of course Cassel has millions in teh bank so what does he care

You forgot Hillis. :D

pojote
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm not very comfortable with Cassel, but I understand that we don't have many options to improve this year at QB. Next year is a whole different story.

In behalf of Cassel history, he has played well with an off season OC that is the same as regular season, in KC only 2010. Anyway in next year draft, Pioli probably will draft a first round QB unless he feels that Stanzi is a long term answer.

brdempsey69
05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm not so concerned about Cassel as everybody else.

I'm more concerned about the QBOTF, Ricky Stanzi. This team has never had any success drafting QB & having him become a decent starter. I hope sure hope Stanzi breaks that trend.

TopekaRoy
05-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Well if he cant succeed with all of this talent around him then he needs to retire. If we sign clark that will be clark, boss, bowe, and JC. Of course Cassel has millions in teh bank so what does he care

He is about to become a free agent and he wants millions more. You can bet that he will be highly motivated to put up big numbers, this year.

If he is at all capable of doing it, he will do it.