PDA

View Full Version : LJ and his Effort

YZILLA
10-09-2007, 03:55 AM
this is what I saw at the game , sorry the video is from my photo camera, not my camcorder.

YouTube - Chiefs /Jags

rbedgood
10-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Thanks YZilla...that was a great clip...I actually saw something there that SC neglected to mention. If you watch the blockers and LJ, it looks like the run was designed to cut up the field right where LJ stops to go forward and meets MLB Mike Peterson head on. Yes there was open field to the right and a DB out there alone...but if LJ is expecting a hole at the hasmark and is trying to follow his blockers, it isn't completely his fault if he doesn't see that avenue.

I could be wrong, but after watching this clip repeatedly and pausing a number of times that is how I read the play. I wasn't at the game, and clearly LJ isn't running with as much aggression...frankly last year at least the MLB would've been the one on his back...

hermhater
10-09-2007, 04:12 AM
Thanks YZilla...that was a great clip...I actually saw something there that SC neglected to mention. If you watch the blockers and LJ, it looks like the run was designed to cut up the field right where LJ stops to go forward and meets MLB Mike Peterson head on. Yes there was open field to the right and a DB out there alone...but if LJ is expecting a hole at the hasmark and is trying to follow his blockers, it isn't completely his fault if he doesn't see that avenue.

I could be wrong, but after watching this clip repeatedly and pausing a number of times that is how I read the play. I wasn't at the game, and clearly LJ isn't running with as much aggression...frankly last year at least the MLB would've been the one on his back...

What are your feelings on the NFL playing the MLB for a Championship?

rbedgood
10-09-2007, 04:19 AM
HH...I hope you're joking...but just in case

MLB=Middle Linebacker

Chiefster
10-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Agreed; yes the run appeared to be lack luster as far as effort goes, but the truth of the matter is the blocking simply was not there.

swmochiefsfan
10-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Agreed; yes the run appeared to be lack luster as far as effort goes, but the truth of the matter is the blocking simply was not there.

I agree with ya about the blocking but there is a total lack of effort on LJ's part, my blame goes to not taking the the hits in preseason. Look at LT and Jackson, same thing. LJ doesn't have his vision either, this is another reason I hate holdouts.

wolfpack
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
he runs like he wants tobe traded.

swmochiefsfan
10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
he runs like he wants tobe traded.
with these numbers who would take him? No I'm sure someone would but if that's the case bench his *** and put the priest in.

Chiefster
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree with ya about the blocking but there is a total lack of effort on LJ's part, my blame goes to not taking the the hits in preseason. Look at LT and Jackson, same thing. LJ doesn't have his vision either, this is another reason I hate holdouts.

Good pint! :sign0098:

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Steven Jackson wasn't a hold out was he? How about Frank Gore?

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM

I agree!

I think this video is fairly indicative of what has been happening all season long! Look how far in the backfield OUR O line is! They have to be 3 to 4 yards on OUR side of the line of scrimmage!! There may have been a little bit of a lane open up after he had passed it but at that point the defenders were on him! There are 3 guys surrounding LJ when he is tackled! What is he or any other RB suppose to do? This goes on the entire game! Who wouldn't be pissed and have the "here we go again" thoughts running through their head every time you lined up?

sling58
10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
doesn't it look like LJ falls down easily

rbedgood
10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Steven Jackson wasn't a hold out was he? How about Frank Gore?

Steven Jackson didn't play much in preseason, and Gore broke his hand and missed the preseason.

Chiefster
10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree!

I think this video is fairly indicative of what has been happening all season long! Look how far in the backfield OUR O line is! They have to be 3 to 4 yards on OUR side of the line of scrimmage!! There may have been a little bit of a lane open up after he had passed it but at that point the defenders were on him! There are 3 guys surrounding LJ when he is tackled! What is he or any other RB suppose to do? This goes on the entire game! Who wouldn't be pissed and have the "here we go again" thoughts running through their head every time you lined up?

Agreed, it is largely due to the "O" line and the fact that it appears that LJ was not running with any heart.

Yes.

m0ef0e
10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
with these numbers who would take him? No I'm sure someone would but if that's the case bench his *** and put the priest in.

And there you have it, folks! Rep!

Chiefster
10-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Agreed; don't know how much better Priest would be at 90%, but I believe we would at least get maximum effort out him.

swmochiefsfan
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Agreed; don't know how much better Priest would be at 90%, but I believe we would at least get maximum effort out him.
That you can be sure of.

hermhater
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Hold out or not, he is getting hosed by the O line.

Until we have new blockers, or the ones we have get better, this will continue.

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Steven Jackson didn't play much in preseason, and Gore broke his hand and missed the preseason.
LT never plays during the preseason, what's the excuse for him?

Let's see, what is the one common factor here hmmmm, O LINE!!! Whether it's due to injury or they just suck, the fact is that all 4 of the "stud" RB's teams have problems up front!

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Common man, what is he suppose to do? Fight for another 2 feet? It happens every single running play! Why can't someone blame the idiots up front that aren't doing their job? Why is ity LJ's fault? If they aren't going to play up front, get them off the damn field so he only has to try and run around 4 or 5 guys instead of 9 or 10. Less congestion with our sorry excuse for lineman in the way!!

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
That you can be sure of.
Sure of the fact that he will be in the same boat as the rest of our RB's. I love Priest, don't get me wrong but he unfortunatly is not the answer. Unless we can line him up next to Waters!!

Chiefster
10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Hold out or not, he is getting hosed by the O line.

Until we have new blockers, or the ones we have get better, this will continue.

Agreed.

Common man, what is he suppose to do? Fight for another 2 feet? It happens every single running play! Why can't someone blame the idiots up front that aren't doing their job? Why is ity LJ's fault? If they aren't going to play up front, get them off the damn field so he only has to try and run around 4 or 5 guys instead of 9 or 10. Less congestion with our sorry excuse for lineman in the way!!

Can't argue with this, the "O" line stunk up the place. However, LJ has played lip service to being this great team leader and his overall attitude, it seems, belies that claim. However, you are right one cannot place all the blame on him, and there really don't see anything that, without better blocking, would infer that Priest would fair much better. Priest is a different type RB and opposing defenses would have to adjust to that in order to focus solely on him, but it wouldn't take long for them to do so.

chief31
10-09-2007, 04:03 PM
LT never plays during the preseason, what's the excuse for him?

Let's see, what is the one common factor here hmmmm, O LINE!!! Whether it's due to injury or they just suck, the fact is that all 4 of the "stud" RB's teams have problems up front!

You are off-base here. The Chargers' offensive line is the same group that lead the way for the leagues leading rusher and MVP and a very effective passing game. You are always trying to give credit to the "skill position" players and always laying blame on the linemen. How about this, LJ certainly isn't as bad as his current stats would suggest, but he's not as good as previous stats would indicate.

He, as almost any other RB in the league, is as good as his linemen. (still open to alot of exceptions) LJ is a very good RB, when he is running behind a very good offensive line, or has a very good gameplan in effect, or both. If he is working behind a lesser O-line, with lesser offensive gameplanning, then he stinks.

I know I have pointed to LJs effort, same as most of us. But clearly the majority of the problem with our running game, is not the runningback. I don't think that anyone is denying that. But, the same way that an offensive line made LJ look like a uniquely talented superstar, the offensive line we currently have, is making him look like a quitter and a talentless flop.

The linemen are responsible for their failures and I think each of us realizes that. The Chiefs mangaement, at each level, is responsible for their failures and Lj is responsible for his. But LJs biggest failure is in his effort. Not that it would have a huge impact on the outcome of any particular play, but by laying down and giving a poor effort, he opens himself to alot of criticism.

Also, if he gets to take all of the glory for the last two seasons(And use it for contract negotiations) then he will get the same share of the criticism for the failed running game this year. That's only fair.

m0ef0e
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Agreed.

Can't argue with this, the "O" line stunk up the place. However, LJ has played lip service to being this great team leader and his overall attitude, it seems, belies that claim. However, you are right one cannot place all the blame on him, and there really don't see anything that, without better blocking, would infer that Priest would fair much better. Priest is a different type RB and opposing defenses would have to adjust to that in order to focus solely on him, but it wouldn't take long for them to do so.

Priest is far better than LJ at bouncing runs outside, which spreads a defense laterally and causes them to overpursue. This could in turn open up some passing lanes and potential big-plays off of misdirection.

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Agreed.

I agree. However, I have never heard any statement from him saying that he was or wanted to be the team leader. I in fact didn't believe he would be even after he signed his deal. His personality has always been low key and he never talk much. If your referring to being a leader on the field, well it may be a little tough to give a pep talk to the team because your picking your a$$ up of the field every 45 seconds!

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
You are off-base here. The Chargers' offensive line is the same group that lead the way for the leagues leading rusher and MVP and a very effective passing game. You are always trying to give credit to the "skill position" players and always laying blame on the linemen. How about this, LJ certainly isn't as bad as his current stats would suggest, but he's not as good as previous stats would indicate.

He, as almost any other RB in the league, is as good as his linemen. (still open to alot of exceptions) LJ is a very good RB, when he is running behind a very good offensive line, or has a very good gameplan in effect, or both. If he is working behind a lesser O-line, with lesser offensive gameplanning, then he stinks.

I know I have pointed to LJs effort, same as most of us. But clearly the majority of the problem with our running game, is not the runningback. I don't think that anyone is denying that. But, the same way that an offensive line made LJ look like a uniquely talented superstar, the offensive line we currently have, is making him look like a quitter and a talentless flop.

The linemen are responsible for their failures and I think each of us realizes that. The Chiefs mangaement, at each level, is responsible for their failures and Lj is responsible for his. But LJs biggest failure is in his effort. Not that it would have a huge impact on the outcome of any particular play, but by laying down and giving a poor effort, he opens himself to alot of criticism.

Also, if he gets to take all of the glory for the last two seasons(And use it for contract negotiations) then he will get the same share of the criticism for the failed running game this year. That's only fair.

Well, if it's the same line in SD and the RB is only as good as his line, then what the hell is wrong with LT?

I know Norv Turner can bring a team down faster than fast, so is their problem scheme?

Chiefster
10-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Good post.

Priest is far better than LJ at bouncing runs outside, which spreads a defense laterally and causes them to overpursue. This could in turn open up some passing lanes and potential big-plays off of misdirection.

Agreed, but still think that, ultimately, without the "O" line doing their jobs it wouldn't take opposing defenses long to adjust to this, but I could be wrong and often are.

I agree. However, I have never heard any statement from him saying that he was or wanted to be the team leader. I in fact didn't believe he would be even after he signed his deal. His personality has always been low key and he never talk much. If your referring to being a leader on the field, well it may be a little tough to give a pep talk to the team because your picking your a$$ up of the field every 45 seconds!

I can't remember which video clip it was but I was thinking that he was alluding to being a team leader, again, I could be wrong.

chief31
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Good post.

Agreed, but still think that, ultimately, without the "O" line doing their jobs it wouldn't take opposing defenses long to adjust to this, but I could be wrong and often are.

I can't remember which video clip it was but I was thinking that he was alluding to being a team leader, again, I could be wrong.

I believe that it was the same one that had him talking about how the other Chiefs backs didn't know how to follow the linmens blocks and that he was ready to take back over.

m0ebr0
10-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Priest can catch the screen better as well. Something LJ has hardly been able to do. If he does he gets nowhere.

As for LJ being a leader he is not. Anyone that only thinks of himself is not a leader. He is not the nuts and bolts of this team as he claimed last year. Our line controls how good he does and he needs to realize that. He needs to respect the team and they will respect him and maybe do better around him.

rbedgood
10-09-2007, 11:07 PM

Hillbilly, people all over this site and on many other football sites are blaming the line. Is LJ giving 100% on every run, no...is it really making a monumental difference in the end result of his runs...I also say NO. He had 9 carries last week...lets say he gets another yard on each...so we'd be talking about 9 carries for 21 yards...the reaction wouldn't be much different...

Most of the problem is the O-line. Look at the videos YZilla threw on the site and watch the O-line play...it is horrendous

DrunkHillbilly
10-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Hillbilly, people all over this site and on many other football sites are blaming the line. Is LJ giving 100% on every run, no...is it really making a monumental difference in the end result of his runs...I also say NO. He had 9 carries last week...lets say he gets another yard on each...so we'd be talking about 9 carries for 21 yards...the reaction wouldn't be much different...

Most of the problem is the O-line. Look at the videos YZilla threw on the site and watch the O-line play...it is horrendous

Uhhhh, I think you are echoing my sentiments exactly!!

timsatt1
10-09-2007, 11:14 PM

dont forget how versatile priest was....not just running, but he got a ton of passes as well as also being a good blocker. He had the total package...and was lucky to play along with the best o line ever to help him achieve the most single season rushing touchdowns ever in a year (at the time).

Chiefster
10-10-2007, 12:32 AM
dont forget how versatile priest was....not just running, but he got a ton of passes as well as also being a good blocker. He had the total package...and was lucky to play along with the best o line ever to help him achieve the most single season rushing touchdowns ever in a year (at the time).

Good point!

Guru
10-10-2007, 12:59 AM

There is blocking in this league?

hermhater
10-10-2007, 01:00 AM

In this league, just not this team!

Chiefster
10-10-2007, 01:04 AM

In this league, just not this team!

Yup!!!

m0ebr0
10-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Priest is a more complete back than LJ. LJ cant catch was well or block as well. He gets paid 40mil to run not to block or catch. Thats another 10mil each for LJ. Priest just wants to play. He doesnt care about the $$ cuz he wants to prove he can still play.

Chiefster
10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Priest is a more complete back than LJ. LJ cant catch was well or block as well. He gets paid 40mil to run not to block or catch. Thats another 10mil each for LJ. Priest just wants to play. He doesnt care about the $$ cuz he wants to prove he can still play.

...Don't know that I would go quite that far, but I agree I think he does want to play.

chief31
10-10-2007, 08:11 PM

...Don't know that I would go quite that far, but I agree I think he does want to play.

I had that same thought. He wants to play, but I bet he has some desire for the mnoey too.

hermhater
10-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Everyone cares about the money.

If you don't believe that, then you are a fool, and will soon be parted with yours!

m0ebr0
10-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I had that same thought. He wants to play, but I bet he has some desire for the mnoey too.

Well ya he does care about the $$. What I was meaning by that was he wont hold out to get $40il cuz he just wants to get on the field. He will settle for less.

chief31
10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Well ya he does care about the $$. What I was meaning by that was he wont hold out to get $40il cuz he just wants to get on the field. He will settle for less.

Full agreeance here.