PDA

View Full Version : "When I touch that field again, you're going to feel my pain"

matthewschiefs
05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Jamaal Charles of Kansas City Chiefs ahead of schedule, talking big - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7908615/jamaal-charles-kansas-city-chiefs-ahead-schedule-talking-big)

I love this his quote and have only one thing to say

CHARLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chiefs: :chiefs: :chiefs:

pojote
05-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I can't wait for the season to start, but we need our team ACL ready. We are at least 3 wins less without JC, Berry and Moeaki.

LlamaNinja
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Well we finally got depth so we dont have to wonder what Canadian the backup player is from....and why they let him go.

Chiefster
05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
"If you're worrying about me not being the same, just look out for me this year," Charles told the Star. "I'm hungry. I want it this year. I've got the passion for it. I just can't wait to play football. I can't wait to bring stuff back to this community and show them how much we can win. I feel like this is a year for us that we can go all the way. I'm saying that because I feel it in me that I can bring a lot to the team this year, being bigger, stronger and maybe even faster."...Perhaps this is just Charles trying to sound extra confident because he'll have competition in Hillis this year but I like what I read here. :smile

#58ChiefsFan
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
TOUCHDOWN

KAAAAANSAAS CITY!

Jamaal Charles on an 80 yard run tastes the sweet nectar of the endzone

I can hear Mitch now

slc chief
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
the guy sounds like he means business scary thought to think of him having the o-line that he has. watch out nfl

ctchiefsfan
05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I expect to see some defenses seriously scratching their heads this year.

Seek
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Perhaps this is just Charles trying to sound extra confident because he'll have competition in Hillis this year but I like what I read here. :smile

This is only a snip of his interview. He also talked a lot of Hillis and what he brings to the team and all but said Hillis was a huge improvement over Thomas Jones but stopped and collected his thoughts and then said they are a lot alike.

They did a review of Charles and his career 6 YPC carry after his interview this week and they basically said that in short yardage situation, Charles suffered and needed Jone to take those carries. In every game but one, he at least a run of 17 yards or more.

I do think you will see Hillis getting a good portion of carries just as Jones did.

jason1981
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
i think we will have a scary 1-2 punch this year. if hillis can get his confidence back i think he is improvement over jones amd the fact our oline is improved. just hope charles doesnt push his knee to hard to fast. id ratherhim come back later than to rei.jure that. and that goes for all three players. charles, moeoki, and berry.

jap1
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I wouldnt be surprised, and would in fact be very happy to see the workload be similar to what it was in 2010 when T. Jones had the majority of carries, especially in the first half of the season. A lot of people complained that Haley was "saving" Charles and they should give him more carries, but it worked out very well as the season went on, Ds would tire out and JC would run all over them.

I wouldnt be surprised (and would be very happy) to see a 50/35/15 % split with Hillis/Charles/Others (DMC, Gray, etc).

Chiefster
05-10-2012, 10:08 PM
This is only a snip of his interview. He also talked a lot of Hillis and what he brings to the team and all but said Hillis was a huge improvement over Thomas Jones but stopped and collected his thoughts and then said they are a lot alike.

They did a review of Charles and his career 6 YPC carry after his interview this week and they basically said that in short yardage situation, Charles suffered and needed Jone to take those carries. In every game but one, he at least a run of 17 yards or more.

I do think you will see Hillis getting a good portion of carries just as Jones did.

Makes sense to me. :D

chiefnut
05-15-2012, 08:29 AM
i love his attitude but i wish he did not make that declaration. you often curse yourself when you make such a bold statement

slc chief
05-16-2012, 12:28 AM
oh they are definantly going to feel his pain the dude is pumped to be back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vM8Y3-5xg

ctchiefsfan
05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Cool vid! Can't wait to see him tearing up defenses again!!!

Yoda
05-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I have no doubt that JC is a great talent. But study after study shows that RB's that suffer ACL injuries never perform again at the high level they were before the injury.Same goes with Berry who will need to make serious cuts to make tackles or try to int the ball.

Don't believe me, read below.

Psych Central - Performance of wide receivers, running backs post-ACL injury falls by one third (http://psychcentral.com/news/archives/2006-11/vumc-pow113006.html)

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1506/acl-injuries-often-career-ending-nfl-players

TopekaRoy
05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
I have no doubt that JC is a great talent. But study after study shows that RB's that suffer ACL injuries never perform again at the high level they were before the injury.Same goes with Berry who will need to make serious cuts to make tackles or try to int the ball.

Don't believe me, read below.

Psych Central - Performance of wide receivers, running backs post-ACL injury falls by one third (http://psychcentral.com/news/archives/2006-11/vumc-pow113006.html)

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1506/acl-injuries-often-career-ending-nfl-players

I saw another report that seemed to indicate that the younger a player was (and the fewer games they had played) the less the drop-off was when they finally did return. Charles, Berry and Moeoki are all relatively young.

Yoda
05-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I saw another report that seemed to indicate that the younger a player was (and the fewer games they had played) the less the drop-off was when they finally did return. Charles, Berry and Moeoki are all relatively young.

Do you have a link? I like to read it, I searched for any article that would indicate this, but I am having a hard time locating it. Every reputable medical journal/ article on ACL injuries that i have read say the very opposite.

I know that DMac's injury can become chronic and could very well worsen. OTA reports say that he looked 100%, but I am skeptical after reading up on his type of injury.

TopekaRoy
05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Do you have a link? I like to read it, I searched for any article that would indicate this, but I am having a hard time locating it. Every reputable medical journal/ article on ACL injuries that I have read say the very opposite.

I know that DMac's injury can become chronic and could very well worsen. OTA reports say that he looked 100%, but I am skeptical after reading up on his type of injury.

Sorry, Yoda. I posted it here last season, but i had trouble finding it again.

Here is the link: ACL surgery research shows decline in running back stats (http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/09000d5d826d092c/article/acl-surgery-research-shows-decline-in-running-back-stats)

The article focuses on 8 different players and their performances after ACL Surgery.

Here is a brief quote from the article:

The numbers above make it clear -- the older a running back is at the time of an ACL tear, the worse his chances are to be productive the following season. We have also learned that suffering the ailment early in a season can be an advantage, as it allows more time to rehab and recover. That's the reason I'm not as worried about Charles. While a decrease in production should be expected compared to his 2010 totals, he'll have had far more time than Peterson and Mendenhall to come back. Charles is also just 25 years old, so he clearly has youth on this side.

ctchiefsfan
05-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Lord I hope so!

Yoda
05-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Sorry, Yoda. I posted it here last season, but i had trouble finding it again.

Here is the link: ACL surgery research shows decline in running back stats (http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/09000d5d826d092c/article/acl-surgery-research-shows-decline-in-running-back-stats)

The article focuses on 8 different players and their performances after ACL Surgery.

Here is a brief quote from the article:

That was an interesting article....JC may have a chance. One things to note is running style. The two backs who were most productive after this devastating injury were Jamal Lewis and Ronnie Brown and yes they were both young. But their running styles are far different than JC. This two guys were bruisers, not so much cut and go and use speed to avoid the defender. Infact, the guys on that list who reached 1,000 yards after the ACL injury were those types of backs. JC depended on his speed and elusiveness. That is the one thing going against him, his running style after the ACL injury.

As much as I hate the Chiefs, I hate to see a guy go down like this. This is his livelyhood and he worked his whole life to get here. KC signed Hillis for obvious reasons, JC will be productive in spots, but never again the same player.

Chiefster
05-27-2012, 06:23 AM
That was an interesting article....JC may have a chance. One things to note is running style. The two backs who were most productive after this devastating injury were Jamal Lewis and Ronnie Brown and yes they were both young. But their running styles are far different than JC. This two guys were bruisers, not so much cut and go and use speed to avoid the defender. Infact, the guys on that list who reached 1,000 yards after the ACL injury were those types of backs. JC depended on his speed and elusiveness. That is the one thing going against him, his running style after the ACL injury.

As much as I hate the Chiefs, I hate to see a guy go down like this. This is his livelyhood and he worked his whole life to get here. KC signed Hillis for obvious reasons, JC will be productive in spots, but never again the same player.

This is, I fear, might will be the case. Throw in the fact that the average career span for a running back in the NFL is three years it doesn't bode well for Charles, although I hope we're wrong.

#58ChiefsFan
05-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Jamaal has put some good muscle on in the last 8 months, he should be a little more durable. He has stated he may be faster than before which may or may not be true. Either way I was always concerned about his longevity given his size and am happy to see him back bigger and stronger. Even if he lost a step he can still average 5 yards per carry rather than the 5.4 or whatever it is pre injury.

If Jones never really panned out as a change of pace in the twilight of his career. Hillis is the best back he has teamed with and in a two back set if they get the mismatch for Charles he should still be explosive with Peyton lead blocking.

bricooper78
05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
with all the weapons in the offense, he won't have to BE THE OFFENSE, so that in and of itself may help the yards, everyone on the defense will have to cover everyone, not just Charles. hell, he might lose a step, and end up 6,2ypc this year!!!! well, we can hope, right???
I think when you look at the offense, top to bottom, we are going to be dangerous, the Chiefs are loaded for bear, and the afc west is wearing a fur coat!

matthewschiefs
05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes he will, see 2010 and 2011

Pretty sure Cassel and Bowe had a good part of the offense in 2010.

Plus there are additions to the offense that we have not seen play with this team. Kevin Boss, Peyton Hillis, Eric Winston on the line. So even looking at the team on those years wouldn't be the best thing to do seeing that I really doubt that the players that were brought in will do nothing for the team

#58ChiefsFan
05-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Pretty sure Cassel and Bowe had a good part of the offense in 2010.

Plus there are additions to the offense that we have not seen play with this team. Kevin Boss, Peyton Hillis, Eric Winston on the line. So even looking at the team on those years wouldn't be the best thing to do seeing that I really doubt that the players that were brought in will do nothing for the team

And we are back to one OC, not the three stooges skit we saw last year with Muir calling Zorn calling Matt with Haley bumbling around in thier ear pieces.

If Charles ends up being the MVP thats fine with me, we just need to win the division and get a playoff spot to get this ship turned around.

Anything can and will happen once we get to January. :chiefs:

matthewschiefs
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Every excuse I heard concerning Cassel's play in 2011 was because the running game was far less effective. Why? Jamaal charles was hurt

That's why talent was added. Peyton Hillis and Kevin Boss. Do you really think there going to add nothing to the team?

Matt Cassel threw for 27tds in 2010 that's part of the offense. Bowe led the NFL in Td catches in 2010 Charles was not the offense alone in 2010 that's all I was saying

matthewschiefs
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Jamaal Charles: "Peyton Hillis is the same as Thomas Jones."

I'm just saying Matt

Depends on how you look at the quote. At the age Peyton Hillis is now Tomas Jones was pretty darn good. In 2010 Jones almost ran for 1,000 yards to go with Charles. Jones got to the point where age hit and he couldn't be as much of a factor as he once was.

Outside of that lets say the Chiefs get the same thing they got from Jones from Hillis. Do you think Kevin Boss will do nothing. Do you think that Eric Winston will be 0 factor? Do you think that Baldwin won't improve at all going into his 2nd season? Charles will still be the MVP of this teams offense but they will have a few more weapons then they have in the last few years.

Chiefster
05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Matt I have said in previous threads that we had a good offseason, so of course I will not say they will all be 0's. My only point is that if we dont have Jamaal charles we are in trouble offensively. He is the reason we were able to pick up first downs, the guy almost broke jim brown's record, what kind of back averages of 6 ypc? He does it on a limited number of rushes as well.

Well, I don't think that Payton Hillis is any slouch. We do have other offensive weapons at our disposal.

Just sayin.

matthewschiefs
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Matt I have said in previous threads that we had a good offseason, so of course I will not say they will all be 0's. My only point is that if we dont have Jamaal charles we are in trouble offensively. He is the reason we were able to pick up first downs, the guy almost broke jim brown's record, what kind of back averages of 6 ypc? He does it on a limited number of rushes as well.

I do agree that if we lose Charles then that's going to be a big minus for the offense. But with the additions that we have seen to the offense if he were to go down again then I don't think that it will have a much of an affect as it did a year ago. There is far far more depth on this team now. I think this is going to be a very very good season

nigeriannightmare
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Well, I don't think that Payton Hillis is any slouch. We do have other offensive weapons at our disposal.

Just sayin.

That grey kid can flat out run. We are in much better shape than last year its not even a fair comoarrison.

Chiefster
05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
That grey kid can flat out run. We are in much better shape than last year its not even a fair comoarrison.

I'm a little surprised that he was available for us to pick up.

nigeriannightmare
05-30-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm a little surprised that he was available for us to pick up.

Texaschief is right the steal of the draft. Man come on september.

chiefnut
05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
i bet you will see hillis getting the lion share of the carries, then charles with grey in mop up. at least in the start of the season just to make sure charles is back 100% and he stays healthy. a really good position to be in w/a lot of talent to choose from in the same backfield.

slc chief
06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Chiefs have “no concerns whatsoever” about Jamaal Charles’ recovery

Posted by Evan Silva on May 26, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/jamaal-charles-pic.jpg?w=250 Getty ImagesThe Kansas City Chiefs lost their best offensive player on September 18 of last season, when tailback Jamaal Charles (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4617/jamaal-charles) tore his left ACL against the Detroit Lions. In hindsight, the Chiefs are probably happy the injury occurred so early last season. Charles has had ample time to recuperate.
Chris Mortensen reported on ESPN 32 late Friday that the Chiefs have “no concerns whatsoever” about Charles’ readiness for the 2012 season. Though Charles won’t practice until training camp, his absence from OTAs is purely a precaution. The Chiefs have held fellow ACL patients Eric Berry (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5623/eric-berry) and Tony Moeaki (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5841/tony-moeaki) out of spring practices, too.
Mort stated that the Chiefs are “excited” about Charles’ potential in their new offense, run by former Browns and Dolphins coordinator Brian Daboll.
With Daboll as offensive coordinator in Miami last year, Reggie Bush (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3600/reggie-bush) broke out for a career-high 1,086 rushing yards while averaging over five yards per attempt and running more decisively in between the tackles than ever before. Daboll also oversaw breakout seasons from Peyton Hillis (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4965/peyton-hillis) (2010) and Jerome Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3744/jerome-harrison) (2009) the previous two years in Cleveland.

Chiefster
06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Texaschief is right the steal of the draft. Man come on september.

It will be interesting.