PDA

View Full Version : Five observations from today's Chiefs practice

2010chiefs
05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Some quick observations from today's Chiefs practice, the first full-squad practice of the year:
1. The Chiefs have yet to put their top draft pick, nose tackle Dontari Poe, with the starters. Veteran Amon Gordon was the starter at nose tackle.
2. Dexter McCluster may still play some at running back, but for now he’s a wide receiver. McCluster worked exclusively with the receivers. McCluster was also first in line when the Chiefs returned punts. That line also featured Javier Arenas, Steve Breaston and Devon Wylie.
3. Seven players did not practice because of injury: Jamaal Charles, Tony Moeaki, Eric Berry, Kendrick Lewis, Brandon Siler, DeQuan Menzie and Rob Bruggeman. Charles, Moeaki, Berry and Siler missed all or most of last season. Lewis had off-season shoulder surgery. Menzie (hamstring) and Bruggeman (finger) have lingering injuries from the recent rookie camp.
4. With Berry, Lewis and Menzie on the sideline, the Chiefs used Travis Daniels, a cornerback, and Terrance Parks, an undrafted rookie, as their starting safeties.
5. Kansas coach Charlie Weis, a former Chiefs offensive coordinator, was an observer at practice.

MissingTBone
05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow, I didn't realize Weiss left Florida

josh1971
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Interesting notes- thanks for posting!

Lazeye
05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Weiss is the new coach at KU!

nigeriannightmare
05-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah its kinda a big imiddlle finger to todd haley being he said he wanted to be in florida for his family and moved to the kc area less than a year after said remark.

Coach
05-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Kind of shocking that Weis was at practice. It does say a lot of about the power struggle that was takin place between Haley and Weis. Based on the fact that Weis is there and Haley was fired, I'm guessing Weis leaving was likely not Pioli's choice but was a result of Todd being Todd.

Chiefster
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Kind of shocking that Weis was at practice. It does say a lot of about the power struggle that was takin place between Haley and Weis. Based on the fact that Weis is there and Haley was fired, I'm guessing Weis leaving was likely not Pioli's choice but was a result of Todd being Todd.

Exactly! I believe that to be the case with all of the OC's under Haley's regime.

jap1
05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I will admit, I never really thought poorly of Haley and didnt believe all of the "rumors" that he was an a-hole. Now with all the info we have, and especially with Weiss visiting us, I cannot help but think I was very wrong. I cant help but wonder how we would have looked last year without Haley and with Weiss as OC ...

Coach
05-23-2012, 07:00 PM
I will admit, I never really thought poorly of Haley and didnt believe all of the "rumors" that he was an a-hole. Now with all the info we have, and especially with Weiss visiting us, I cannot help but think I was very wrong. I cant help but wonder how we would have looked last year without Haley and with Weiss as OC ...

Thats the same thought I had this morning. The offense wa never the same once Weiss announced he was leaving. It seems like Haley may have been pulling the strings during the playoff loss as well as December of that year. No chance of him coming back at this point though.

Is Jim Zorn still part of this team?

jap1
05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Thats the same thought I had this morning. The offense wa never the same once Weiss announced he was leaving. It seems like Haley may have been pulling the strings during the playoff loss as well as December of that year. No chance of him coming back at this point though.

He is still listed as the QB coach on the team website.

AkChief49
05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
He's still listed as QB coach.

pojote
05-24-2012, 02:55 PM

When Romeo choose Daboll as OC, there was some speculation that he would be leaving KC. But next day he was confirmed by Crennel and said the Chiefs needed him, kisses, hugs, etc. At least for this season he will remain as KC QB coach.

Seek
05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Local media says they are noticeably throwing the ball more in practice.

ChiefMojo
05-25-2012, 04:06 PM
A lot of things will be run differently now that Haley is gone.

Frankly things couldn't have gone any worse last Training Camp. I have been to many TC's in my day (not just Chiefs but also Cowboys & Vikings) and that was the worst abortion I had ever witnessed. There was a direct reason we were so horrible on multiple levels in the Preseason and early into the Regular season... we were far from ready.

One couldn't use the excuse of the lock-out as everyone else had to go through the same ordeal as us.

I'm excited in the direction the Chiefs are heading. I'll admit I was excited entering the 2010 season and we know how that turned out (good). I like that we are emphasizing the run first and adding more pieces to both sides of the ball. Of course the defense won't change as that is RAC's baby but offensively it will be different on multiple levels.

matthewschiefs
05-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Local media says they are noticeably throwing the ball more in practice.

I would think that's a part of Charles not yet being ready to practice. I think they will run the ball alot more when he's ready.

chiefnut
05-26-2012, 10:51 AM
a passing offense takes more time to learn and execute properly than the run game so its a good sign we are spending more time on it now.