PDA

View Full Version : Supposedly Bowe and Chiefs are in feud

Seek
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Not that I think Nick Athan is a very credible source, but supposedly the Chiefs and Duane Bowe are feuding to the point that Bowe's agent has asked for a trade.

Bowe is wanting to be paid a top 5 WR contract, and the Chiefs are not agreeing. However, there does not appear to be a market for Bowe worth the trade and he is not expected to sign his Franchise tender until the last day of 7/16.

Hayvern
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Not that I think Nick Athan is a very credible source, but supposedly the Chiefs and Duane Bowe are feuding to the point that Bowe's agent has asked for a trade.

Bowe is wanting to be paid a top 5 WR contract, and the Chiefs are not agreeing. However, there does not appear to be a market for Bowe worth the trade and he is not expected to sign his Franchise tender until the last day of 7/16.

Exactly as I suspected. The kid has a higher self-worth of himself than he is really worth. We have to be able to put our fan emotions aside and look at him for what he really is. There would be a number of teams willing to give him top 10 money I would think, but not top 5 at this point.

H-townChiefsFan
06-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Top 10 money doesnt seem out of the question to me...the only ones I can think of Id surely rather have are:
Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
DeSean Jackson
Roddy White
Greg Jennings
Wes Welker
AJ Green

Id say Mike Wallace, Brandon Marshall, Nicks and Damyrius Thomas are all right there with Bowe. Andre Johnson could be much better, but I am concerned about his recent injuries and age unfortunately.

Chiefster
06-04-2012, 11:53 AM
...Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of As the Stomach Turns.

jason1981
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
no way hes worth top 5. let him sit out as much as he wants. hes only letting his teammates down as well.

OPLookn
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Top 5?!? Are you kidding me!!! I like Bowe and think he's a good receiver but the best year that he's EVER had was in 2010 when he was ranked 7th in yards.

In other news I think I'm going to go ask for a promotion. Jeesh...top 5 pay...get outta here and go prove to us you're top 5.

matthewschiefs
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
IF this is true and it's a big if then I side with the Chiefs. Bowe if a good to very good WR. He is not a GREAT WR. He just goes through to many games when you don't no that he's out there. He drops some easy passes from time to time. If he refuses to take any less then top 5 money then I think it would be best to make the trade. Get something that can be used. I hope to see Bowe in a Chiefs uniform this year but I don't think it would be the end of the world if he's not with the Chiefs

Ryfo18
06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I certainly think Bowe should seek out as much money as he can get. Only 17 wide receivers in the history of the league have ever caught 15 touchdown passes in a single season. Combine that with the fact that Bowe has NEVER had an above average quarterback throwing to him (Huard, Croyle, Cassel, Palko, Thigpen), and I think his consecutive 1100+ yard seasons speak for themself. This is the 2nd consecutive year he's been in the top 10 for yards (with Palko throwing to him for half the year!!). At only 28 years old when the season starts, he's really just entering the prime of his career.

#58ChiefsFan
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm going to need a better source before getting upset with this story

Seek
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm going to need a better source before getting upset with this story

I would agree. I don't think Nick Athan is any more credible that people on this forum even though he charges people to read his material.

He did say a lot of good things about how Baldwin was looking and Stanzi. But then I hear him say why he likes Stanzi and wonder how would he know if he has good footwork etc...

Chiefster
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
I would agree. I don't think Nick Athan is any more credible that people on this forum even though he charges people to read his material.

He did say a lot of good things about how Baldwin was looking and Stanzi. But then I hear him say why he likes Stanzi and wonder how would he know if he has good footwork etc...

He is referred to as Nick - The Erroneous one - Athan.

chiefnut
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
i think bowe would be a top 5 receiver in a passing offense like the packers, lions, pats, etc. the franchise tag guarantee's him an average of the top 5 salaries at his position or 120% of his current salary which ever is greater. that would put him at 2 1/2 salary rank wise, and that is higher than he deserves to this point.

Seek
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
i think bowe would be a top 5 receiver in a passing offense like the packers, lions, pats, etc. the franchise tag guarantee's him an average of the top 5 salaries at his position or 120% of his current salary which ever is greater. that would put him at 2 1/2 salary rank wise, and that is higher than he deserves to this point.
I think Bowe would be a top 5 receiver, if he would ever get consistent. He drops easy passes but catches the impossible. He has a great game for 4 or 5 games, then dissapears for 4 or 5.

I was very critical of him last year but I saw him playing with a lot of heart and fire last year. I think he has done everything asked of him to warrant a new contract and hope the Chiefs work things out with him, but they are preparing without him.

#58ChiefsFan
06-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I think Bowe would be a top 5 receiver, if he would ever get consistent. He drops easy passes but catches the impossible. He has a great game for 4 or 5 games, then dissapears for 4 or 5.

I was very critical of him last year but I saw him playing with a lot of heart and fire last year. I think he has done everything asked of him to warrant a new contract and hope the Chiefs work things out with him, but they are preparing without him.

100% agree with this post.

I'm not convinced the length of the contract isnt the issue yet. Bowe wants a long term contract, from what I have gathered they need to ink Poe first, Pioli can work the money out.

We are a better team with Dwayne than without him.

rodu
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I'd rather trade him this spring than let him walk via free agency and get nothing. He's not irreplaceable. Good thing we have Breaston and Baldwin

Connie Jo
06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Excuse my English in advance...but as I said earlier at Chiefs Crowd Facebook page...I trust what comes from the horses mouth more than I trust what comes from a horses a$$. Below is a recent interview AP did with Bowe himself.

I realize a situation can change from day to day, but Athans write up is in direct contradiction to what Bowe himself recently stated. We're between Draft & Camp in the off season, not much to talk about for media. Some media personalities will reach into the Twilight Zone of their mind to come up with a story of hype/twist/spin. Why?...for no reason other than to stir controversy increasing reader/viewer ratings, which = profit, which = job security for horses a$$es in the media. Nuff said from me. I now present to you words direct from the horses mouth, of which I know for a fact Dwayne has read and not discounted even one comment in the interview with AP:

Credits: Arrowhead Pride
The Dwayne Bowe Show Is Alive And Well
by Joel Thorman on May 19, 2012 8:42 AM CDT

"WR Dwayne Bowe made an appearance at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere here in Los Angeles this weekend and I had a chance to catch up with him on Friday night. Bowe, who has yet to sign his franchise tender, was an honorary captain for one of the teams at the NFLPA Premiere League flag football game on the stunning UCLA campus.

The money line from Bowe was confirming that he will be with the Chiefs in 2012 and that he will be at training camp in St. Joe. I asked the same question about him being a Chief next year in several different ways and there was no question he expects to be a Chief. That, or he's lying to me.

Bowe has been slapped with the franchise tag and has yet to sign it. He is one of 10 franchised players who have yet to sign their tender.

I posted a transcript of our conversation after the jump.

AP: "I'm curious if you set a personal autograph record today. I swear you've signed for everyone here."

[Editor's note: Bowe signed more autographs than anyone there and it wasn't even close. Even though he was an honorary captain in the game, he spent most of his time during the game signing autographs.]

Bowe: "It felt like it but that's what I do man. These people come out here to see the Show so I have to give them something for their money. Fans travel from everywhere to see the guys at the top of the league. The least I can do is take my time out to sign their autograph. That's all I have to do and it'll mean the world to them."

AP: "We were all kids once. I remember."

Bowe: "I remember trying get autographs [when I was younger] and people were bombaring me and I couldn't get it then."

AP: "What, you weren't 6'3" back then to push everyone out of the way?"

Bowe: [Laughs] "I wish. I just make sure I try to get everybody, even if I have to be the last person out there."

AP: "You staying in shape this offseason?"

Bowe: "Man, look at me."

AP: "That was going to be my next question. It looks like you are."

Bowe: "It's money time. It's time to win. No days off. If you want to go to the 'ship, everyone has to have the same attitude and have no days off and go hard as you can until the wheels stop rolling."

AP: "So there's no question you'll be in a Chiefs uniform?"

Bowe: "Oh, that's nothing. That's automatic."

AP: "Is it all just a business thing? You going to stay away all summer and come to camp or how does this work?"

Bowe: "I'll be there. I'm staying in shape until its the time to sign on the dotted line. You got the draft, they got to move stuff around, fill all the other positions and make sure the team is solid before you do it and that's OK with me."

AP: "Is your mentality longterm deal or bust, or you'll sign the tender and play it out, or how does it work?"

Bowe: "The other guys [handle that]. My job is to play football. However the contract situation goes, when it's time to get on the field my job is to make it happen. One year, five years...I did it for five years already so one year won't hurt. Five won't hurt either. I'm always going to be at the top of my game. It's just a waiting game, it's a business. Teams move around positions to see what they need. I know the business side of it so we'll see."

AP: "Tamba was out for a while last year, too. Are your teammates trying to get you to come back?"

Bowe: "I talk to all the guys. They know the process. Everybody's ready for me to come back and I'm waiting too, so it's just a waiting game."

AP: "So, training camp, you'll be there?"

Bowe: "Yeah."

AP: "Cool."

Bowe: "I love St. Joe, man. The fans line the field just like this. I signed every day for 30 days. It was like, when they see me out at the Wal-Mart, it's nothing but love. I've never seen fans like Kansas City that's so dedicated and so honored."

slc chief
06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
why is this news? duh they are not agreeing thats why the contract has not been done yet. it is part of the process nick athen is a clown

matthewschiefs
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Excuse my English in advance...but as I said earlier at Chiefs Crowd Facebook page...I trust what comes from the horses mouth more than I trust what comes from a horses a$$. Below is a recent interview AP did with Bowe himself.

I realize a situation can change from day to day, but Athans write up is in direct contradiction to what Bowe himself recently stated. We're between Draft & Camp in the off season, not much to talk about for media. Some media personalities will reach into the Twilight Zone of their mind to come up with a story of hype/twist/spin. Why?...for no reason other than to stir controversy increasing reader/viewer ratings, which = profit, which = job security for horses a$ in the media. Nuff said from me. I now present to you words direct from the horses mouth, of which I know for a fact Dwayne has read and not discounted even one comment in the interview with

I agree completly about stuff getting messed up with the media.

Even if the agent asking for a trade is true it's not really that big of a deal. It's all part of negotiating. The agent could be trying to scare the Chiefs into giving him what he wants by making that threat. Looking for the leverage in the negotiations. It happens in just about every contract talks that go on .

tornadospotter
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM

I realize a situation can change from day to day, but Athans write up is in direct contradiction to what Bowe himself recently stated. We're between Draft & Camp in the off season, not much to talk about for media. Some media personalities will reach into the Twilight Zone of their mind to come up with a story of hype/twist/spin. Why?...for no reason other than to stir controversy increasing reader/viewer ratings, which = profit, which = job security for horses a$ in the media. Nuff said from me. I now present to you words direct from the horses mouth, of which I know for a fact Dwayne has read and not discounted even one comment in the interview with AP:

Credits: Arrowhead Pride
The Dwayne Bowe Show Is Alive And Well
by Joel Thorman on May 19, 2012 8:42 AM CDT

"WR Dwayne Bowe made an appearance at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere here in Los Angeles this weekend and I had a chance to catch up with him on Friday night. Bowe, who has yet to sign his franchise tender, was an honorary captain for one of the teams at the NFLPA Premiere League flag football game on the stunning UCLA campus.

The money line from Bowe was confirming that he will be with the Chiefs in 2012 and that he will be at training camp in St. Joe. I asked the same question about him being a Chief next year in several different ways and there was no question he expects to be a Chief. That, or he's lying to me.

Bowe has been slapped with the franchise tag and has yet to sign it. He is one of 10 franchised players who have yet to sign their tender.

I posted a transcript of our conversation after the jump.

AP: "I'm curious if you set a personal autograph record today. I swear you've signed for everyone here."

[Editor's note: Bowe signed more autographs than anyone there and it wasn't even close. Even though he was an honorary captain in the game, he spent most of his time during the game signing autographs.]

Bowe: "It felt like it but that's what I do man. These people come out here to see the Show so I have to give them something for their money. Fans travel from everywhere to see the guys at the top of the league. The least I can do is take my time out to sign their autograph. That's all I have to do and it'll mean the world to them."

AP: "We were all kids once. I remember."

Bowe: "I remember trying get autographs [when I was younger] and people were bombaring me and I couldn't get it then."

AP: "What, you weren't 6'3" back then to push everyone out of the way?"

Bowe: [Laughs] "I wish. I just make sure I try to get everybody, even if I have to be the last person out there."

AP: "You staying in shape this offseason?"

Bowe: "Man, look at me."

AP: "That was going to be my next question. It looks like you are."

Bowe: "It's money time. It's time to win. No days off. If you want to go to the 'ship, everyone has to have the same attitude and have no days off and go hard as you can until the wheels stop rolling."

AP: "So there's no question you'll be in a Chiefs uniform?"

Bowe: "Oh, that's nothing. That's automatic."

AP: "Is it all just a business thing? You going to stay away all summer and come to camp or how does this work?"

Bowe: "I'll be there. I'm staying in shape until its the time to sign on the dotted line. You got the draft, they got to move stuff around, fill all the other positions and make sure the team is solid before you do it and that's OK with me."

AP: "Is your mentality longterm deal or bust, or you'll sign the tender and play it out, or how does it work?"

Bowe: "The other guys [handle that]. My job is to play football. However the contract situation goes, when it's time to get on the field my job is to make it happen. One year, five years...I did it for five years already so one year won't hurt. Five won't hurt either. I'm always going to be at the top of my game. It's just a waiting game, it's a business. Teams move around positions to see what they need. I know the business side of it so we'll see."

AP: "Tamba was out for a while last year, too. Are your teammates trying to get you to come back?"

Bowe: "I talk to all the guys. They know the process. Everybody's ready for me to come back and I'm waiting too, so it's just a waiting game."

AP: "So, training camp, you'll be there?"

Bowe: "Yeah."

AP: "Cool."

Bowe: "I love St. Joe, man. The fans line the field just like this. I signed every day for 30 days. It was like, when they see me out at the Wal-Mart, it's nothing but love. I've never seen fans like Kansas City that's so dedicated and so honored."
Even I who has been critical of DB, for the same reasons already stated. I like his statements in this article.

TopekaRoy
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
I agree completly about stuff getting messed up with the media.

Even if the agent asking for a trade is true it's not really that big of a deal. It's all part of negotiating. The agent could be trying to scare the Chiefs into giving him what he wants by making that threat. Looking for the leverage in the negotiations. It happens in just about every contract talks that go on .

Exactly. Bowe isn't really holding out. He is just doing what his agent tells him to do. In the article that Connie Jo posted he even said. "I'm staying in shape until its the time to sign on the dotted line." and "The other guys [handle that]."

Bowe will make his money this year. His agent is trying to get him the best deal, the most years and the most money guaranteed, that he can. There is no urgency to sign a deal before the dead line. (July 17th, I think.) His agent can ask for a trade all he wants, but there is no way the Chiefs are going to give it to him. And after the franchise tender is signed, no other team is going to be willing to pay him what he is worth PLUS give up two first round picks. That's the whole point of the tag. I'm about 85% sure a long term deal will get done and even if it doesn't, I'm 98% sure that Bowe will sign the tender and play for the Chiefs this year (Top 5 money? You betcha!)

A deal will get done, probably at the last minute. Bowe's agent is just doing what's best for his client.

AussieChiefsFan
06-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Ill believe all this when I see it come form a more reliable source.

Coach
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I agree with lots of what has been said:
1. Source: Joel at AP is much more reliable than Nick. Joel's statements came directly from Bowe himself.
2. Bowe will be getting Top 5 money anyhow because ofthe franchise tag.
3. Bowe is sitting out OTA's like every top free agent that is going thru contract negotiations. He will be there when training camp starts. And if for some stupid reason he isn't, the Chiefs will move on without him. There is a reason they spent last years 1st rd pick on a WR.

None of us want to lose Bowe, but it is always a possibility. Just not this season.

chiefnut
06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
no worries mates, this is typical agent stuff, after poe is signed they will get down to serious negotiating and bowe will com in about july.

ctchiefsfan
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Gotta agree that this report from Athan is just the media doing what the media does. Stirring the pot.

As to Bowe and a long term contract....He is a very good receiver and he deserves to make some pretty substantial money. No doubt about that, but I remember saying to the TV "How did you not catch that ball" far too many times the last couple of years. He makes some spectacular catches and you say "WOW! He is so good" and the words aren't 5 minutes out of your mouth and you're saying "How did he miss that one?"

This is the reason I don't think he is worth really crazy money. One of the trademarks of a truly elite receiver is consistency and I really don't think he has shown that.One of the things that worries me about giving him truly big money is that so many players get that really big contract and then proceed to have a lousy year. Not saying this would happen with Bowe--he seems to have a good attitude and a good head on his shoulders, but the trend of a bad season after getting a big contract along with his lack of consistency makes me nervous.

Personally, I'd be willing to trade him if some team that was a cellar-dweller was willing to make us a really good offer.

With or without Bowe I think we will be a very good team this year, but I don't see us making the Superbowl this year so some high draft picks from a cellar-dweller might add the kind of depth that could help build us into a true dynasty.

Ultimately, all I want is what is best for the Chiefs and trust Pioli/Hunt will do exactly that.

LlamaNinja
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Does anyone else recall all the dropped passes Bowe has had in crucial situations? I like the guy but yeah I wont cry if we lose him, we all know the real position problem. I feel he would be important but it is like having Jamaal Charles on the same team as Brady... the weapon is nice but what if you are never using it...

#58ChiefsFan
06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
In recent seasons Bowe has only played under one offensive coordinator. Haley and Muir couldn't/wouldn't run an offense where he could be a game changer. Granted, with Weis, Bowe still had some wtf moments but it can't be discounted that was the year he led the NFL in TDs with "medicore" Matt. The addition of Daboll will revive Bowes playmaking this year. It would be a mistake to finally get a receiver with the YAC that Bowe has leave.

Breaston is serviceable but not a #1, Baldwin could be in time. The three together are good/great but none of them individually can make up for the loss of one.

ctchiefsfan
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
In recent seasons Bowe has only played under one offensive coordinator. Haley and Muir couldn't/wouldn't run an offense where he could be a game changer. Granted, with Weis, Bowe still had some wtf moments but it can't be discounted that was the year he led the NFL in TDs with "medicore" Matt. The addition of Daboll will revive Bowes playmaking this year. It would be a mistake to finally get a receiver with the YAC that Bowe has leave.

Breaston is serviceable but not a #1, Baldwin could be in time. The three together are good/great but none of them individually can make up for the loss of one.

I agree entirely. But those WTF moments make me very nervous about a long term contract that would include a lot of guaranteed money. Who wants to sign that kind of contract and then see the guy having lots of WTF moments?

Seek
06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Gotta agree that this report from Athan is just the media doing what the media does. Stirring the pot.

As to Bowe and a long term contract....He is a very good receiver and he deserves to make some pretty substantial money. No doubt about that, but I remember saying to the TV "How did you not catch that ball" far too many times the last couple of years. He makes some spectacular catches and you say "WOW! He is so good" and the words aren't 5 minutes out of your mouth and you're saying "How did he miss that one?"

This is the reason I don't think he is worth really crazy money. One of the trademarks of a truly elite receiver is consistency and I really don't think he has shown that.One of the things that worries me about giving him truly big money is that so many players get that really big contract and then proceed to have a lousy year. Not saying this would happen with Bowe--he seems to have a good attitude and a good head on his shoulders, but the trend of a bad season after getting a big contract along with his lack of consistency makes me nervous.

Personally, I'd be willing to trade him if some team that was a cellar-dweller was willing to make us a really good offer.

With or without Bowe I think we will be a very good team this year, but I don't see us making the Superbowl this year so some high draft picks from a cellar-dweller might add the kind of depth that could help build us into a true dynasty.

Ultimately, all I want is what is best for the Chiefs and trust Pioli/Hunt will do exactly that.

Not sure I would really call Nick Athan Media!!! Not sure why I even brought it up other than there was not much discussion going on. I have a hard time listening to him and taking anything he says as fact rather that he throws a bunch of poo against the wall and hopes some sticks.

chief31
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Of course he is worth top-5 WR money. He has been a star even with this team.

Put him on a team that runs an NFL passing offense and the guy gets numbers that rival anybody.

To be able to do what he has done here, with this situation, is outstanding.

Rather you want to say that it is Cassel, Pioli, Haley, whatever, this offense has been exceptionally mild at passing the ball. And Bowe is hitting top numbers, regardless of that.

Would I comit that kind of money to him right now?

I don't know.

But would a the open FA market hit him up like that?

Yes. No question about it.

Am I going to blame Bowe for wanting to get the most pay he can?

No. That is business. We don't seem to mind when owners cry that they are not profitting enough. Why on Earth would we, when the guy working his a** off does it?

ctchiefsfan
06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Agreed 31, but with his inconsistency I just have to ask myself if maybe we wouldn't be better off trading him to a team that relies more on the passing game. Maybe a team that is looking for a receiver to build their offense around and would maybe give us draft picks exceeding his worth?

KCraised
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Does anyone else recall all the dropped passes Bowe has had in crucial situations? I like the guy but yeah I wont cry if we lose him, we all know the real position problem. I feel he would be important but it is like having Jamaal Charles on the same team as Brady... the weapon is nice but what if you are never using it...

Agree. I won't cry if he goes

jap1
06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Agree. I won't cry if he goes

I would cry if he goes and we don't get at least a 1st round pick and then some for him. If he left and we got decent compensation, then I would be disappointed but would get over it and focus on resigning next years FAs.

nigeriannightmare
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM
I would cry if he goes and we don't get at least a 1st round pick and then some for him. If he left and we got decent compensation, then I would be disappointed but would get over it and focus on resigning next years FAs.

Having two first rnd picks plus that third we will get from dallas would put us in a solid position of having a young team thats deep, competitive and superbowl bound. Yeah if we can trade him for a first and a fourth. I woukdnt complaina bit.

ctchiefsfan
06-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Having two first rnd picks plus that third we will get from dallas would put us in a solid position of having a young team thats deep, competitive and superbowl bound. Yeah if we can trade him for a first and a fourth. I woukdnt complaina bit.

YUP!!!!! The only REAL sin would be losing him and getting nothing for him. If he is not willing to be reasonable then send him down the road! He's good, but he is not one of the best receivers of all time.

LlamaNinja
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I dont know why he doesnt want to play this year and look amazing then go to FA and be hyped up to get Megatron pay (which if he has another good season is possible).

ctchiefsfan
06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
I dont know why he doesnt want to play this year and look amazing then go to FA and be hyped up to get Megatron pay (which if he has another good season is possible).

I'm pretty sure he wants to play. I think the only "issue" is that we want to lock him into a long term contract and he wants insane money for it. He's a damned good receiver but he isn't as good as he (or his agent) thinks.

LlamaNinja
06-18-2012, 03:01 PM
I do hope we sign him when he finally figures out his worth... haha

chiefnut
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
from the little he has said it sounds as though he fully intends on playing for the CHIEFS this year , even his locker has not been touched, still filled w/his uniform and pads.

SIC J
06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
You guys have all lost your mind if you think losing Bowe wouldn't be a big loss to the Chiefs. Please tell me who they could pick up RIGHT NOW to replace him?

nigeriannightmare
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
You guys have all lost your mind if you think losing Bowe wouldn't be a big loss to the Chiefs. Please tell me who they could pick up RIGHT NOW to replace him?

Plaxico burress. And if we do lose it better be nothing lesd than a first and a later rnd pick.

#58ChiefsFan
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
The best case scenario for the Chiefs is to lock him up and not let him play on the tag this year. Daboll will get from Bowe what we were cheated out of last year. Bowe will be a pro bowler this year, and he will be worth more at the end of the season. Pioli will get this done, the downside is too great not to.

ctchiefsfan
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM

I think you are misunderstanding what a lot of people are saying.

Nobody here wants Bowe to go anywhere but to a long term contract with the Chiefs. But a lot of us don't think he is worth "best receiver in the last 20 years money".

If the only way we can get him into a long term contract is to pay him "best receiver in the last 20 years money" then I say trade him. He's not worth that much. Even without him we have a very good team this year and I would happily trade him for a 1st and 5th from a cellar dweller. That would be FAR better than having him play under the tag all year and then losing him next year and getting no compensation.

Bowe is not worth blowing our salary cap money all to hell. He's good, but he is not that good.

OPLookn
06-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Nobody here wants Bowe to go anywhere but to a long term contract with the Chiefs. But a lot of us don't think he is worth "best receiver in the last 20 years money".

If the only way we can get him into a long term contract is to pay him "best receiver in the last 20 years money" then I say trade him. He's not worth that much. Even without him we have a very good team this year and I would happily trade him for a 1st and 5th from a cellar dweller. That would be FAR better than having him play under the tag all year and then losing him next year and getting no compensation.

Bowe is not worth blowing our salary cap money all to hell. He's good, but he is not that good.

Quoted for truth!

LlamaNinja
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Plus with how many QBs will be going in the first round next year it would be nice having an extra first rounder.

jap1
06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Plus with how many QBs will be going in the first round next year it would be nice having an extra first rounder.

My thoughts exactly. Lets say we did trade him to someone who really wants a WR for their young QB (possibly someone like St Louis). If Cassel doesnt cut it this year, then we are probably going to look for a new QB. If Bowe doesnt want to sign and we trade him away before the season, then we now have 2 1st round picks (and hopefully another 1 or 2 picks out of the deal). Most likely, if they are going to cut ties with Cassel, I would imagine we didnt make the playoffs, which puts us picking no later than 19th, more likely in the 15 range (+/-5). If we trade to someone like St Louis, they are probably going to be in the bottom 15 in the league.

That gives us two 1st round picks in the top 15. That would make it a lot easier to trade up to the top 5 (which nowadays is where you are going to have to pick if you want a good rookie QB) if we package the two 1sts and a few other picks (probably a future 1st unfortunately).

If Cassel kicks *** (which is what I am hoping for), then we will likely be in the playoffs which still puts us in great position. We would have an early and late 1st round pick, as well as our normal full complement of picks. That would give us a lot of flexibility to continue drafting quality players for the long term.

That all being said, I hope Bowe signs before camp starts, and this is all moot. I would rather have him in a Chiefs uni, but at least want to get something for him if he doesnt want the same.

matthewschiefs
06-22-2012, 07:54 PM

I agree 1000%

Bowe is one of the best WRS in the game. But he's not to date the best. In my view bowe is in the 6th-10 place of WRs Calvin Johson, Andre Johson, Larry Fizegerld,Greg Jennings all at least better then what Bowe has been able to do for a full season. Bowe can have just as big of a game as any of them Bowe just has games where for whatever the reason he just goes quite. If Bowe would cut that out then he would be top 5 for sure and would be worth the money but he's not worth top 5 money IMO till then.

I think it would be a big loss to lose Bowe after this season. But I don't think it would be the death nail for this team. It wouldn't send this team back to 08 Bowe is not a guy who you can't possibly replace. I hope to see Bowe retire a Chiefs after many many more years with the Chiefs. But If he were to go play somewhere eles I don't think it's the end of the world and it's time to go back to rebuild once again.

ctchiefsfan
06-23-2012, 12:59 AM
My thoughts exactly. Lets say we did trade him to someone who really wants a WR for their young QB (possibly someone like St Louis). If Cassel doesnt cut it this year, then we are probably going to look for a new QB. If Bowe doesnt want to sign and we trade him away before the season, then we now have 2 1st round picks (and hopefully another 1 or 2 picks out of the deal). Most likely, if they are going to cut ties with Cassel, I would imagine we didnt make the playoffs, which puts us picking no later than 19th, more likely in the 15 range (+/-5). If we trade to someone like St Louis, they are probably going to be in the bottom 15 in the league.

That gives us two 1st round picks in the top 15. That would make it a lot easier to trade up to the top 5 (which nowadays is where you are going to have to pick if you want a good rookie QB) if we package the two 1sts and a few other picks (probably a future 1st unfortunately).

If Cassel kicks *** (which is what I am hoping for), then we will likely be in the playoffs which still puts us in great position. We would have an early and late 1st round pick, as well as our normal full complement of picks. That would give us a lot of flexibility to continue drafting quality players for the long term.

That all being said, I hope Bowe signs before camp starts, and this is all moot. I would rather have him in a Chiefs uni, but at least want to get something for him if he doesnt want the same.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!!

You laid it right out on the line! Thanks for explaining so much better what I was trying to say!

Hayvern
07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Supposedly there is some story about Bowe wanting to go to Miami. OK, well give us a nice little consolation prize and you can go. Go drop a bunch of passes down there.

70 chiefsfan70
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Supposedly there is some story about Bowe wanting to go to Miami. OK, well give us a nice little consolation prize and you can go. Go drop a bunch of passes down there.

I agree! I wouldn't feel bad watching him go if we got a first and thrid out of him, even a first would be cool with me. I just don't think he is worth the big bucks he is wanting.

#58ChiefsFan
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM

All I saw on that was Chad Johnson being Chad Johnson on twitter. There was an exchange between him and Davis yesterday, I wouldn't read much into that.

@ochocinco: Wait a minute.. where we going RT @VontaeDavis21: @DwayneBowe82 come to Miami @ochocinco just called me & said he will fly up to help u pack

ctchiefsfan
07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I agree! I wouldn't feel bad watching him go if we got a first and thrid out of him, even a first would be cool with me. I just don't think he is worth the big bucks he is wanting.

+ 1 I'd like to see us get a 1st and a 5th for him, but I wouldn't shed any tears if we unloaded him for a 1st.

IMO D Bowe and his agent have a vastly overblown idea of what he is worth.

Just too many dropped passes (usually in key situations) for him to get the kind of money he appears to want.

Seek
07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
+ 1 I'd like to see us get a 1st and a 5th for him, but I wouldn't shed any tears if we unloaded him for a 1st.

Just too many dropped passes (usually in key situations) for him to get the kind of money he appears to want.

I have zero doubt that Bowe will sign his tender and will play for the Chiefs this year. I just was not pleased to here, that Chiefs and Bowe were not seeing eye to eye, specially after we let Brandon Carr leave. I would rather keep Bowe and hope Baldwin becomes a legit starter so that we can have two legit WR for once and not have to worry about that every year.

chiefnut
07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
i still think this is all on his agent, when asked about it bowe was very calmly and confidently saying he would be playing for the CHIEFS this year...not that he hopes they would get a deal done or we'll see what happens, he just matter of factly said that this was just the buisness side of it and he was looking forward to the start of the season w/the CHIEFS.
agents and lawyers can't live w/o them but i'm willing to give it a try!!!

Canada
07-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Just too many dropped passes (usually in key situations) for him to get the kind of money he appears to want.Bowe goes for 2 first rounders or nothing. Hes tagged and that would be the cost to get him.

ctchiefsfan
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Bowe goes for 2 first rounders or nothing. Hes tagged and that would be the cost to get him.

I hear you! That would be sweet! But I don't want to see him play out the season on the franchise tag and then go elsewhere and we get nothing.

Rather trade him for a 1st now than get him for 1 more season and then lose him next year with no compensation.

2 picks in the 1st round next year? Yeah.....I could live with that.

matthewschiefs
07-04-2012, 01:35 AM
I hear you! That would be sweet! But I don't want to see him play out the season on the franchise tag and then go elsewhere and we get nothing.

Rather trade him for a 1st now than get him for 1 more season and then lose him next year with no compensation.

I agree 100% Bowe is to good to let him just walk for nothing if they can't get a deal done then I think it's the best move for them to move him and get something rather then risk getting nothing. I would rather them get a deal done what you got to do what you got to do.

Connie Jo
07-04-2012, 01:52 AM
I could be wrong, but I think under the new rules the Chiefs can tag Bowe again once his current tag expires at the end of 2012 season. :)

Happy 4th of July, y'all! Be safe and have fun! GO CHIEFS!!!

Canada
07-04-2012, 10:49 AM

But they dont have a choice. Its the tag rules. He goes for two or nothing. And CJ is correct, we can tag him again next season. :bananen_smilies046:

ctchiefsfan
07-04-2012, 11:15 AM
But they dont have a choice. Its the tag rules. He goes for two or nothing. And CJ is correct, we can tag him again next season. :bananen_smilies046:

Canada.....You are more of an expert on the rules than I....Does it have to be 2 picks or two first round picks?

Canada
07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Canada.....You are more of an expert on the rules than I....Does it have to be 2 picks or two first round picks? Two first rounders is my understanding of it. I guess they could accept less if they wanted to but why would they?

Dwayne Bowe of Kansas City Chiefs gets franchise tag - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7649082/dwayne-bowe-kansas-city-chiefs-gets-franchise-tag)

"guarantees Bowe a salary of about $9.5 million next season. He could still field offers from other teams, but the Chiefs would have the right to match them.

If they refused, they would receive two first-round draft picks as compensation."

ctchiefsfan
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks Canada!!!

So as I understand it.....If another team offers hime more money than the Franchise tag and we refuse to match it we would then receive 2 first round picks.....

BUT....if a team came to us inquiring about a trade for Bowe, we would be free to make any deal we wanted.

Did I get it right?

On a side note, I want Bowe to sign a long term deal to stay here. He is a VERY good player. But if he is determined to get paid as if he is the best receiver the world has ever seen then I want to see him go and I want us to get some good compensation for him.

If he refuses to sign a long term deal for a reasonable price, then I think we should shop him.

He is a very good receiver but he is not the best there ever was....not even in the top 5.

70 chiefsfan70
07-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Two first rounders is my understanding of it. I guess they could accept less if they wanted to but why would they?

Dwayne Bowe of Kansas City Chiefs gets franchise tag - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7649082/dwayne-bowe-kansas-city-chiefs-gets-franchise-tag)

"guarantees Bowe a salary of about $9.5 million next season. He could still field offers from other teams, but the Chiefs would have the right to match them.

If they refused, they would receive two first-round draft picks as compensation."

So it seems Bowe is very much in the drivers seat as he is guarenteed the 9.5 mil this year, even if we find a team dumb enough (which we wont) to give up two first round picks. Why would he sign any long term deal, with the new franchise rules it would seem likely the Chiefs would franchise him again, and his salary would increase every year. Bowe is good but is really not worth 9.5 mil, yet he has found a way to get it. Just my 2 cents.

ctchiefsfan
07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
So it seems Bowe is very much in the drivers seat as he is guarenteed the 9.5 mil this year, even if we find a team dumb enough (which we wont) to give up two first round picks. Why would he sign any long term deal, with the new franchise rules it would seem likely the Chiefs would franchise him again, and his salary would increase every year. Bowe is good but is really not worth 9.5 mil, yet he has found a way to get it. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly why I think that if we can't sign him to a deal that pays him what he is really worth then maybe we just need to "shop him".

I don't think there is a team dumb enough to give us 2 first round picks for him, but I really think we could get a first round pick for him and maybe a late pick to go with the first. Be real interesting to have our pick of all the QBs coming out next year. And with two picks in the first round there is no reason we couldn't.

70 chiefsfan70
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Exactly why I think that if we can't sign him to a deal that pays him what he is really worth then maybe we just need to "shop him".

I don't think there is a team dumb enough to give us 2 first round picks for him, but I really think we could get a first round pick for him and maybe a late pick to go with the first. Be real interesting to have our pick of all the QBs coming out next year. And with two picks in the first round there is no reason we couldn't.

Now I like the sound of that!

jason1981
07-05-2012, 01:34 AM
the colts could use him.

Seek
07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
the colts could use him.

Colts are too far away from seriously competing to spend their future drafts on one player yet alone a WR.

Seek
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Canada.....You are more of an expert on the rules than I....Does it have to be 2 picks or two first round picks?

It does not have to be two first round picks. The teams can negotiate on what they they consider fair compensation. Look at Matt Cassel as an example. He was Franchised, yet the Chiefs got him and Mike Vrabel for only a 2nd rounder.

In regards to franchising him again the following year. It starts to gets expensive to Franchise year after year. While Bowe is in the driver seat, he runs a huge risk of losing money in the future. He is better off signing a long term contract with guaranteed money will add security for future years.

Can a team use the franchise tag on a player in consecutive years?
Yes. But it gets progressively more costly. If a team wishes to use the franchise tag on the same player it did the previous season the player will receive 120% of his previous year's salary. For example, if the San Diego Chargers wanted to use their franchise tag on Vincent Jackson again this season they would have to pay him $13.7 million which is 120% of his 11.4 million from a year ago. If a team wants to tag a player for a third consecutive year the price tag jumps to 144% of their previous salary. This can be a very expensive proposition as using the franchise tag just once already makes a tagged player amongst the highest paid in the NFL at his position.

chief31
07-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Myself, I would prefer to keep him here this season, and make a big splash in the postseason, and see if he is more willing to stick with us.

ctchiefsfan
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Myself, I would prefer to keep him here this season, and make a big splash in the postseason, and see if he is more willing to stick with us.

I hear you chief31....but I'm getting the feeling he is all about the money. Remember what happened to LJ after he got that BIG contract?

He is an excellent receiver and deserves to make a lot of money, but I am starting to think he feels he deserves franchise QB type money. And he's just not worth that. Or anyway, he hasn't shown he is yet. For that kind of money you don't have the dropseys!

chief31
07-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I hear you chief31....but I'm getting the feeling he is all about the money. Remember what happened to LJ after he got that BIG contract?

He is an excellent receiver and deserves to make a lot of money, but I am starting to think he feels he deserves franchise QB type money. And he's just not worth that. Or anyway, he hasn't shown he is yet. For that kind of money you don't have the dropseys!

At contract talks, they are all about the money... Until they sign. Then you might see a homefield advantage.

ctchiefsfan
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Perhaps! We'll find out eventually though.

I'm happy to see him stay. And happy to see him go if we get a 1st rounder plus for him. Only thing that will annoy me is if he goes and we get no compensation for him. That would SUCK!

chief31
07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Perhaps! We'll find out eventually though.

I'm happy to see him stay. And happy to see him go if we get a 1st rounder plus for him. Only thing that will annoy me is if he goes and we get no compensation for him. That would SUCK!

Agreed. But, with the type of season I think this team is lined up for, I think getting rid of him right now would be a big mistake, for the short term.

But, as you said, we will see.

matthewschiefs
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Agreed. But, with the type of season I think this team is lined up for, I think getting rid of him right now would be a big mistake, for the short term.

I think that it would be better to move him now if they can't get a deal done. Next year if they tag him the money will go up. It will be a bit harder to move him and it might take away from what they get in return for him. I would rather them just lock him up long term but I think now would be the time to move him. And that's not even to mention if he were to get hurt at some point this season that would also bring his trade value down. If they are going to trade him I think that this is the year to get it done. But like I said I would MUCH MUCH rather see him locked up long term and be a Chief for years.

chief31
07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I think that it would be better to move him now if they can't get a deal done. Next year if they tag him the money will go up. It will be a bit harder to move him and it might take away from what they get in return for him. I would rather them just lock him up long term but I think now would be the time to move him. And that's not even to mention if he were to get hurt at some point this season that would also bring his trade value down. If they are going to trade him I think that this is the year to get it done. But like I said I would MUCH MUCH rather see him locked up long term and be a Chief for years.

How would the money go up? Basic top-ten inflation? That is not relevant, as it went up from last year to this, as well. So that would pretty much be par for the course.

Aside from the potential for Bowe to get injured, or just have a terrible season, I can't find any advantage to risking screwing up this season to unload him now.

matthewschiefs
07-07-2012, 05:31 PM
How would the money go up? Basic top-ten inflation? That is not relevant, as it went up from last year to this, as well. So that would pretty much be par for the course.

Aside from the potential for Bowe to get injured, or just have a terrible season, I can't find any advantage to risking screwing up this season to unload him now.

From what I understand under the new rules . If a team wishes to use the franchise tag on the same player it did the previous season the player will receive 120% of his previous year's salary.So with Bowe making 9.5 this year that would put him at 11.4 next year. The higher the salary the harder it is to move the player. I myself would just get this settled this year and get it done with one way or the other. But I would really like them to just get a deal long term with Bowe.

Canada
07-07-2012, 07:10 PM
From what I understand under the new rules . If a team wishes to use the franchise tag on the same player it did the previous season the player will receive 120% of his previous year's salary.So with Bowe making 9.5 this year that would put him at 11.4 next year. The higher the salary the harder it is to move the player. I myself would just get this settled this year and get it done with one way or the other. But I would really like them to just get a deal long term with Bowe.^^^That is correct!!

ctchiefsfan
07-07-2012, 10:34 PM

31.....No quarrels here. I only want what is best for the Chiefs.

1)....Best choice....we lock him up to a long term contract for reasonable guaranteed money with some hefty incentive clauses that allows him to make the crazy money he appears to want....IF...he stops dropping the damned ball.

2)...2cond choice....Peddle him now. Get a 1st and a late rounder for him and think about what we could do next year with 2 first round picks....after we win the AFC West. Which we will.

3)....Play him under the tag and see if he forgets how to drop passes. Sure, we could tag him again next year, but with the new rules, we won't be able to trade him for much with the 120% rule.

If he won't sign an incentive-heavy contract now then I say DEAL HIM! He hasn't shown me he is worth $10,000,000 per year.

CANADA!!!!! What are your thoughts? You've provided info on the rules but I don't recall hearing an opinion from you.

JPPT1974
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
You know how Chad Johnson can be. Drawing attention to himself. But hopefully the team and Bowe can get it straighten out.

chief31
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
From what I understand under the new rules . If a team wishes to use the franchise tag on the same player it did the previous season the player will receive 120% of his previous year's salary.So with Bowe making 9.5 this year that would put him at 11.4 next year. The higher the salary the harder it is to move the player. I myself would just get this settled this year and get it done with one way or the other. But I would really like them to just get a deal long term with Bowe.

Ah... I see. I like that rule.

Well, I would still prefer to keep him for this season, long-term, or not.

I expect to have a good year. And that should help entice him into settling for a little less than the world. And we would have all of this season to work on a deal with him.

Plus, I would hate to make a backward move for the 2012 season.

nigeriannightmare
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
After drew brees victory last week, the franchise tag makes it harder to work out a long term deal and makes it harder to trade a franchised player. If i understand it correctly a player can only be franchised 3 times. Drew brees will get a 144% of his salary next year if they dont get a deal done and then he walks for nothing. I hope pioli gets a deal done or get something for him but the franchise tag makes any kind of move difficult.

nigeriannightmare
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
If wr dont get a deall done the next yr who do u franchise albert ot bowe and who do you let go for nothing. I doubt we keep them both if bowe doesnt sign a long term this seaso. To me theres a lot at stake with mr dwayne bowe.

ictfan
07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Lets look on the bright side here. Even if we lose him after this year,that will free up salary space to go get another top receiver.

marloweopatchiefs
07-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I have my fingers crossed that he will be signed by tommorow. It's not looking good though.

AkChief49
07-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Just speculating.

Is it too far fetched to think if Bowe catches the pass that bounced off his chest in the end-zone (Faders- week 16) he would already have the long term contract he wants?
We would/could/should have made the playoffs if he catches that ball.

Same with Welker. He catches that pass, New England has another Lombardi trophy in their show case.

Both guys catch their respective passes 9/10 times,
or do they?

some of you do not like PFF-my apologies.

Drop Percentage: Wide Receivers | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/)

Three Years of Drop Rate: Wide Receivers | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/)

It is a business and all businesses are results driven monsters.

Eydugstr
07-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Just speculating.

Is it too far fetched to think if Bowe catches the pass that bounced off his chest in the end-zone (Faders- week 16) he would already have the long term contract he wants?

Well, it wouldn't have hurt...

But in the last half of that game it was the Raiders D line that won the trench battles, and this year we saw the O line get a lot of off-season attention. NFL=Not For Long.

jap1
07-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Just speculating.

Same with Welker. He catches that pass, New England has another Lombardi trophy in their show case.

Both guys catch their respective passes 9/10 times,
or do they?

some of you do not like PFF-my apologies.

Drop Percentage: Wide Receivers | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/)

Three Years of Drop Rate: Wide Receivers | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/)

I'm kinda surprised at how poor D.Bowe is on those lists, but not really. I though he had improve a lot over the last 2 seasons, but I guess numbers don't lie. Definitely makes me less inclined to want to give him big $$$. Maybe we can put an incentive laden contract in place. Maybe something that looks at his percentage of dropped passes, like every percentage point over 5% he loses a million dollars or something ...

Ryfo18
07-17-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm kinda surprised at how poor D.Bowe is on those lists, but not really. I though he had improve a lot over the last 2 seasons, but I guess numbers don't lie. Definitely makes me less inclined to want to give him big $$$. Maybe we can put an incentive laden contract in place. Maybe something that looks at his percentage of dropped passes, like every percentage point over 5% he loses a million dollars or something ...

Still he's in good company. The one common thing about the people at the top of this list? They get the ball thrown to them A LOT.

azchiefsfan
07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
What I find unnerving is that while Bowe can be a beast, he has taken a game or two off when he was unhappy. Randy Moss would simply not try to help his team for ten games and then show up the last six games to try to get a better deal with another team. I hope Bowe has more integrity. We do seem to have something special this year and he can be the difference between a great season and total failure.

Seek
07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
See the difference I see, is that Bowe is not really taking off but rather we are playing a better Defense all around shutting down the whole offense. It is hard to throw the ball into tight coverage when the QB is being rushed immediately after the snap. I mean there was not a lot of talent around him to prevent double coverage.

70 chiefsfan70
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Bowe is just not worthy of being a 10+million dollar reciever. He is good, but not irreplaceable, He does make awesome and almost uncatchable balls, but then drops well thrown, wide open, easy passes even highschool wrs catch on regular bases.

I'm just appalled at all the people that give him excuses and a pass on this very bad habit of his. I've been quiet on this subject because I really like Bowe, and have had high expectations for him, but its easy to see this is all about the money and an ego bigger then the universe.

Its no longer about team, or fans or winning........its all about the money. Reminds me of my favorite baseball player of all times, Albert Pujols. A very good player but let money get in the way.

At this time, I'm just hoping we don't give Bowe the big contract he wants, matter of fact I hope we trade him for a second round pick, and let someone alse overpay him.

At 10 mil a year, you should be able to play like Hali, DJ, or Flowers, and Berry. There are no excuses worthy for players of this caliber for not performing other then injuries. Dropped balls and not getting open is just not exceptable.

We need a good WR, we just should not have to pay double for him.

Of course I should add:
Just my own humble opinion.

#58ChiefsFan
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
One things for sure, we should see the best of what Dwayne has to offer this year.

I still don't know if this is about money or length of contract, probably both, but there has been no real information leaked. I believe Dwayne wants to play and will be in St. Joe on time as there is nothing to gain through a hold out.

I agree with Babbs article concering the blame being equally shared between Pioli and Bowes agent. I just think they both put a lot more pressure on themselves this year. Haley said it was up to Dwayne to make the move to the next level and I hope this is the year he makes that saccrifice, it would make sense since he is in another contract year.

I wish the best for Bowe this year with us and we will have to wait to see what the future holds.

Travisk53
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
D. Bowe is not a top five....let him set out.

pojote
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Is any reason left for Bowe not to sign his franchise tender?

IslandKing77
07-27-2012, 01:45 AM
It would seem to me that the franchise wants to make sure that Bowe can remain consistent without the receiver whisperer (Haley) in his ear.

Say or think what you want about Haley but he gets results from receivers. I think it would be a mistake to give Bowe his payday without a demonstration that he won't backslide into idiocy and inconsistency without that influence.

#58ChiefsFan
07-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Not real happy that Bowe forgot he was supposed to report to camp today. I have a hard believing there is a legit reason why he couldn't be in St. Joe on time. Initially I wanna side with Pioli this morning, hope he pulls his head out soon.

Seek
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Is any reason left for Bowe not to sign his franchise tender?

Because he still wants a long term contract to be worked out. He is hoping that his presence will be noticeably missed making it more of a necessity to sign him under his wants.

Also, It is freaking hot out. I am sure he really upset he is missing that part of practice.

Seek
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Not real happy that Bowe forgot he was supposed to report to camp today. I have a hard believing there is a legit reason why he couldn't be in St. Joe on time. Initially I wanna side with Pioli this morning, hope he pulls his head out soon.

He has not signed his Franchise Tender, he can not go to camp.

#58ChiefsFan
07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
He has to fly into KC on the way to camp. It will take ten minutes to sign the damn thing.

OPLookn
07-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Because he still wants a long term contract to be worked out. He is hoping that his presence will be noticeably missed making it more of a necessity to sign him under his wants.

Also, It is freaking hot out. I am sure he really upset he is missing that part of practice.

He can't get a long term contract signed now. That day and time has come and gone. He has to wait til the end of the season. I don't see him signing til the week before our first preseason game. Then he has a few weeks to learn the play book, work out with the team and get the 3 qtrs of play time in the 3rd week.

Plus he can't be fined because right now he doesn't contractually play for the Chiefs. I'm interested to see how Bowe plays this year too without Haley in his ear.

Seek
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
He can't get a long term contract signed now. That day and time has come and gone. He has to wait til the end of the season. I don't see him signing til the week before our first preseason game. Then he has a few weeks to learn the play book, work out with the team and get the 3 qtrs of play time in the 3rd week.

Plus he can't be fined because right now he doesn't contractually play for the Chiefs. I'm interested to see how Bowe plays this year too without Haley in his ear.

I believe he can still sign a contract, but has to play this year under the current franchise tag so it would be a contract extension in additional to his his franchise tag. He is most likely holding out wanting a multi year contract and the Chiefs are wanting to see how Baldwin does to see if they feel like he is expendable.

ctchiefsfan
07-27-2012, 03:39 PM
I believe he can still sign a contract, but has to play this year under the current franchise tag so it would be a contract extension in additional to his his franchise tag. He is most likely holding out wanting a multi year contract and the Chiefs are wanting to see how Baldwin does to see if they feel like he is expendable.

Now that is something I had not considered.

jap1
07-27-2012, 05:15 PM

This was my understanding as well. Which makes me say WTF! There is absolutely no reason to hold out now. Either you sign your franchise tender and play and get the fat contract at the end of the seaons or you sit out the season.

Honestly, Ive been a big Bowe fan, and felt he was an important piece of our offense. One thing people forget about him is that he is usually a great downfield blocker for the run game. That having been said, if he isnt at practice by mid next week, I say start shopping him around for trade. Id take a 1st round and preferably a 2nd or 3rd, but would settle with a mid-late round pick this year or next year.

matthewschiefs
07-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm very disappointed in Bowe. He's doing nothing but looking out for himself he's not being a team player right now. He can't get a new contract until after the season is over. They can get an agreement for the fallowing years but what is holding out of camp going to do but hurt that? It's really disappointing to see out of Mr. Bowe. More and more I am thinking it might be best to move him.

nigeriannightmare
07-28-2012, 05:18 AM
We will cut Bowe after this year, word is he wants Larry Fitzgerald money.

If this is true trade him for a first and whatever cimpensation we can get for him.

#58ChiefsFan
07-28-2012, 06:38 AM
We will cut Bowe after this year, word is he wants Larry Fitzgerald money.

Link?

rodu
07-28-2012, 10:43 AM
If this is true trade him for a first and whatever cimpensation we can get for him.

yeah, better this than let him walk for free

yankeechief1
07-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Maybe trade him for Mike Wallace. What does everybody think?

ctchiefsfan
07-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Maybe trade him for Mike Wallace. What does everybody think?

I'd rather trade him for a 1st round pick. With 2 picks in the first round we'd be able to trade up if we felt we needed a QOTF or if Cassel looks like he can get it done then we'd be able to pad our already young and talent laden roster.

brdempsey69
07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
No one would offer us a first round pick for Bowe.

Agreed. It is not going to happen. They'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder at best for him & even that is doubtful.

nigeriannightmare
07-29-2012, 03:10 PM

But carson palmer is worth a first and second. Someone is gonna pay him money. Hed excel on a team that is pass happy. Someone could get hurt as well saying no one is being a bit to presumptious stranger things have and will happen.

jap1
07-29-2012, 06:07 PM

I could see a team offering a 1st, but it would be hard at this point in the season. I think he is worth more, but I doubt we could get more. If this were May or June, I think it would have been easy to find a trade partner.

OPLookn
07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
They are going to trade him for a first round pick? He has one year left on his deal, who in their right mind would trade their first round pick to get dwayne bowe for one year?

You don't ever get the remainder of his contract so even if he had 5 years left a team would trade him and then discuss a brand new contract. So yes I'd expect a team to give up a 1st rounder and possibly a 6th or 7th too.

Bowe has almost had 1000 yard years every year since he's been in the league. In 2010 he led the league in TD's. Then as someone else said you have to factor in that Bowe is a good blocker. If that's not a 1st round talent I don't know what is.

nigeriannightmare
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
They are going to trade him for a first round pick? He has one year left on his deal, who in their right mind would trade their first round pick to get dwayne bowe for one year?

If they trade him it will be to a team that will give him the contract he wants.

rodu
07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
If they trade him it will be to a team that will give him the contract he wants.

I wonders then, the fact we have not traded him if it means no one else is willing to give him that contract either

#58ChiefsFan
07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
From what little "information" there is to read, I haven't seen anything saying the Chiefs are willing to deal him. IMO Pioli is content letting him play under the tag this year and revisiting this at seasons end.

nigeriannightmare
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
From what little "information" there is to read, I haven't seen anything saying the Chiefs are willing to deal him. IMO Pioli is content letting him play under the tag this year and revisiting this at seasons end.

Pioli is shrewd he was part of some tough decisions in new england i have no doubt hell do the right thing. I remember the patriots taking a lot of heat for the ty law situation.

ctchiefsfan
07-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I was not suggesting we trade him before the season. It would appear that Bowe wants a HUGE contract. Nothing he has done for the Chiefs to date suggests to me that he is worth the kind of money he seems to want. He is not going to hold out through the season. That would just be stupid. So let him play and show if he is as good as he thinks he is. Then after the season but before the draft we either cut a deal with him quickly or we trade him.

If he has had a great season but won't play for what we're willing to pay him then we can shop him and get excellent value for him.

If he hasn't had a great season then I suspect he will realize he's not going to get the payday he wants and we can keep him for a decent price. If not, and he still thinks he is worth crazy money then we trade him for what we can get.

Meanwhile, this year he will play under the franchise tag with all kinds of incentive to show how good he can be. We should see the best he has to offer this year.

But as far as I have seen so far, the best he has to offer is good but not great. And certainly not top five payday great.

matthewschiefs
07-31-2012, 02:09 AM
Bowe will play this year and then be a FA the next, bottomline.

I doubt that. We can tag him again. The only way I see him being a FA next year is if he doesn't have a good season this year IMO.

jap1
07-31-2012, 06:23 AM
I was not suggesting we trade him before the season. It would appear that Bowe wants a HUGE contract. Nothing he has done for the Chiefs to date suggests to me that he is worth the kind of money he seems to want. He is not going to hold out through the season. That would just be stupid. So let him play and show if he is as good as he thinks he is. Then after the season but before the draft we either cut a deal with him quickly or we trade him.

If he has had a great season but won't play for what we're willing to pay him then we can shop him and get excellent value for him.

If he hasn't had a great season then I suspect he will realize he's not going to get the payday he wants and we can keep him for a decent price. If not, and he still thinks he is worth crazy money then we trade him for what we can get.

Meanwhile, this year he will play under the franchise tag with all kinds of incentive to show how good he can be. We should see the best he has to offer this year.

But as far as I have seen so far, the best he has to offer is good but not great. And certainly not top five payday great.

I'm fairly certain the only way we trade him after the season is over is if we tag him again. Which at that point the privw for the tag would go way up. If we dont tag him, we have no ability to trade him. He would be a free agent.

Either he shows up and starts playing or I say we try and ditch him. I'd prefer he shows up and plays. He is valuable and can only make us stronger. I really don't get why he isn't at camp. He has nothing to gain. We missed the deadline and cannot give him a new contract until after the season (if I understand the rules correctly). If he holds out, he isn't going to know the offense and the timing is going to be slightly off. Doesn't he realize that is going to make him look worse, and thus less valuable, leading to a smaller contract? I don't get it.

nigeriannightmare
07-31-2012, 08:09 AM
I see it the complete opposite, if he has a good year he is going to want even more money (Larry Fitzgerald type money) If Baldwin has a solid year we will be kissing Bowe goodbye.

Not to mention branden albert is a free agent after the season.

#58ChiefsFan
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm fairly certain the only way we trade him after the season is over is if we tag him again. Which at that point the privw for the tag would go way up. If we dont tag him, we have no ability to trade him. He would be a free agent.

Either he shows up and starts playing or I say we try and ditch him. I'd prefer he shows up and plays. He is valuable and can only make us stronger. I really don't get why he isn't at camp. He has nothing to gain. We missed the deadline and cannot give him a new contract until after the season (if I understand the rules correctly). If he holds out, he isn't going to know the offense and the timing is going to be slightly off. Doesn't he realize that is going to make him look worse, and thus less valuable, leading to a smaller contract? I don't get it.

Based on appearance, it looked like he has been training hard, hopefully with Fitzgerald and CC. I think he will report this weekend and have one or two good practices before the first preseason game. So long as he can come in and contribute in that first game I'm willing to give him a walk on his timing, I don't agree with it but if he produces so be it.

jap1
07-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Based on appearance, it looked like he has been training hard, hopefully with Fitzgerald and CC. I think he will report this weekend and have one or two good practices before the first preseason game. So long as he can come in and contribute in that first game I'm willing to give him a walk on his timing, I don't agree with it but if he produces so be it.

Im not so much worried about his physical conditioning as much as his team chemistry. Has he even seen the new playbook yet, or know any of the terminology, timing, etc? If he has gotten the playbook and studied, there is still time to get the timing down. If he shows up tomorrow (or later) with no information about the playbook/etc then he is only hurting himself.

#58ChiefsFan
07-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Im not so much worried about his physical conditioning as much as his team chemistry. Has he even seen the new playbook yet, or know any of the terminology, timing, etc? If he has gotten the playbook and studied, there is still time to get the timing down. If he shows up tomorrow (or later) with no information about the playbook/etc then he is only hurting himself.

The longer this goes on I want to believe he somehow has a copy of the playbook, probably wishful thinking but like you said he's only hurting himself. I know Bowes immature but I can't make myself believe he is dumb enough to have no plan and just show up unprepared.