PDA

View Full Version : Lawn advice needed

Guru
10-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Do we have any lawn experts on here? I have been fighting my yard for 2 years to get grass growing and am having ZERO results. I even paid a lawn company this year for fertilizing and insect/weed control. The weeds were down but the lawn itself looks even worse than it did this time last year.

I have so many bare areas I can't even keep seed around because mother nature always pulls his practical joke on me by sending a downpour the day after I seed and washing it all away.

I don't want a perfect lawn just a decent lawn.

Guru
10-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Nobody?

Chiefster
10-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Nobody?

Sorry bud; wished I could help, but I have no lawn experience at all.

chief31
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Do we have any lawn experts on here? I have been fighting my yard for 2 years to get grass growing and am having ZERO results. I even paid a lawn company this year for fertilizing and insect/weed control. The weeds were down but the lawn itself looks even worse than it did this time last year.

I have so many bare areas I can't even keep seed around because mother nature always pulls his practical joke on me by sending a downpour the day after I seed and washing it all away.

I don't have that problem. I just don't mow and Boom! All kinds of stuff grows.

DrunkHillbilly
10-10-2007, 08:47 PM

What kind of seed are you spreading? I would assume Rye at this time of year. After you spread the seed, you should put a fair amount of manure on it to keep it from washing away. Watering needs to be about 3 times a day for about 2- 4 mins per. Maybe 7am, 12pm and again at 4 or so. The seed needs to stay moist but not soaked. The manure provides a good saturation for the seed and keeps it wet. You should mix in a good Scott's winter lawn fertilizer with the seed so it spreads evenly. That's how we do it out here and it works great.

Chiefster
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't have that problem. I just don't mow and Boom! All kinds of stuff grows.

Get off my lawn :sign0104:!!! :11:

Coach
10-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I use bluegrass. I would suggest having someone come do a fall 'Weed and Seed'. It wll eliminate the weeds and overseed yoor lawn. You could also call a lawn expert for a free estimate. They would likely tell you what needs to be done and give you an estimate.

Guru
10-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I use bluegrass. I would suggest having someone come do a fall 'Weed and Seed'. It wll eliminate the weeds and overseed yoor lawn. You could also call a lawn expert for a free estimate. They would likely tell you what needs to be done and give you an estimate.

Already spoken with the "experts". I am not willing to spend the kind of money they are asking for my yard. I know I can do it cheaper, I just need to know WHAT to do.

rbedgood
10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Already spoken with the "experts". I am not willing to spend the kind of money they are asking for my yard. I know I can do it cheaper, I just need to know WHAT to do.

Guru, without looking at your yard it would be very difficult to really see what is wrong with your yard. However I can address the problems you have specifically described, as well as some other common issues.

1) Seed washing away...as Hillbilly mentioned using some cover is the best method...however I'm not a huge fan of manure due to both the smell and have had trouble with weeds (seeds that weren't irradiated well enough)...I use Scott's Turfbuilder Seeding Soil

http://www.scotts.com/media/media/_Images/Product_Images/Scotts/Growing_Media/ScottsTBSeedingSoil_feat.jpg

2) Watering schedule...this varies a lot based on the climate and soil conditions...for a starter guide you can use the watering guide on www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com) and advice can be found on www.lawncare.com (http://www.lawncare.com) (a Scott's website)

3) Soil conditioning...if you can before planting rototill the soil...if you have in-ground irrigation simply using an aerator and dethatcher will prepare you soil suitably for planting. Additionally test your soils Ph levels just to ensure you don't have an issue...soild test kits can be found at most nurseries, Home Depot etc. If the Ph is off, fertilizers or Vitamin B plant supplements, etc can be used to even the levels.

timsatt1
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
What kind of seed are you spreading? I would assume Rye at this time of year. After you spread the seed, you should put a fair amount of manure on it to keep it from washing away. Watering needs to be about 3 times a day for about 2- 4 mins per. Maybe 7am, 12pm and again at 4 or so. The seed needs to stay moist but not soaked. The manure provides a good saturation for the seed and keeps it wet. You should mix in a good Scott's winter lawn fertilizer with the seed so it spreads evenly. That's how we do it out here and it works great.

i have spread my seed many a time. luckily, it hasnt produced anything that grows yet.

Guru
10-10-2007, 11:39 PM
i have spread my seed many a time. luckily, it hasnt produced anything that grows yet.

Wrong type of lawn for that.:D

hermhater
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
To comment about the manure smelling issue, and the cover issue, I would use an aerator to punch holes in your turf before you spread the seed.

It is a pain in the behind and you have to rent a gas powered one, but it will give the results you are asking for.

The seed will be planted into the ground and cannot be washed away, discounting any flash floods within 24 hours of seeding.

Used to work for a lawn dude and this was hard work, but gave results.

DrunkHillbilly
10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
To comment about the manure smelling issue, and the cover issue, I would use an aerator to punch holes in your turf before you spread the seed.

It is a pain in the behind and you have to rent a gas powered one, but it will give the results you are asking for.

The seed will be planted into the ground and cannot be washed away, discounting any flash floods within 24 hours of seeding.

Used to work for a lawn dude and this was hard work, but gave results.

Believe it or not, they sell an oderless manure!!! I use it and it just has a slight smell. It's just masked some how but it works well. I agree that thatching the grass prior is a must. Rototill may not be totally neccassary but scoring the surface and moving some dirt around is.

anaeelbackwards
10-11-2007, 03:01 AM
the manure syster works, my dad uses it for his always growing weeds.... sometimes even i have to help him with that...... but that scotts turfsoil seed is pretty good too.

sling58
10-11-2007, 07:16 AM
I work at Home Depot part time at night. Go to the garden department and pick up some Kentucky 31 grass seed and a lawn airator (sp). Run the airator over the lawn to create some small holes in the yard for the grass to "hide" in and start growing. With winter coming you will need to get a winterizer. You will need to buy a bunch of seed to saturate your yard with. Water 3 times daily so the seed will stick to the ground. You will need to redo this around March also so the seeds start growing and to lay new seeds down. Don't put any weed killer down for atleast 4 mowings or you will kill your seedlings.