PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts after Friday Nights game

Seek
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I have heard so many people say the Chiefs are going to the Superbowl after Friday nights game. Hold on people. I am excited about what I saw, but it was a pre-season game against Arizona. Next week against St. Louis shouldn't be any We turned the corner contest either.

Next, there were a lot of good things to see. I think Pioli while taking a shot at Haley pointed out the first thing I wanted to see. The team looked organized. The play calling go int, the team performed like they knew what they were doing. There was on busted play, but over all the team has improved dramatically simply from the Coaching change.

I love the play calling. The 4th and one where the defense thought we were just trying to get them to jump, then the shift to 4 wide outs spreading out the defense to get the QB sneak was interesting.

The right side of the line, HELLO.... Please run Right as much as possible. Eric Winston improved that offensive line beyond measure.

I think Cassel did a great job reading the blitzes that Arizon threw at us. Arizona was not playing Vanilla defense. They blitzed a corner and got burned for it by a nice read and dump off to Hillis for the TD. I heard that Cassel made that audible. Something he was not allowed to do before. Not sure if he did or not, but I tend to think they knew where to attack based on what Arizona was showing.

Back up QB's are still very suspect. Neither Quinn or Stanzi made me feel like they were capable of starting yet alone being a long term back up for us if Cassel gets hurt.

Receivers looked good and I think we have 4 very good running backs.

Tribio looked good as did our line backers. That 3rd and 1 stuff was great stuff to see. I wouldn't be surprised if Poe is 3rd string or lower after this week. J. Powe looked much better and had some great penetration.

Not sure why we are carrying a third kicker/punter but he was not an improvement over Colquitt or Succop.

#58ChiefsFan
08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I really hope to see more from the backup QBs this week. Quinn leading Copper? right into that de-cleater wasnt good to see. Hopefully we can see a little Stanzi with the second team although it sounds like it won't make much difference.

Seek
08-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I really hope to see more from the backup QBs this week. Quinn leading Copper? right into that de-cleater wasnt good to see. Hopefully we can see a little Stanzi with the second team although it sounds like it won't make much difference.

Trent Green seem to think that that Quinn had a slight edge but expect the two of them to switch roles this week against St. Louis to equal reps with each team.

I did notice that Quinn preferred throws up the middle while Stanzi wanted to throw the long ball down the side lines. They each seemed to have people they trust.

I also liked what I saw from Steve Maneri at TE. He blocked great and had good hands for a big guy. They said he lost 45 pounds in the off season to get ready to play TE.

SBV_Eagle_Bull
08-13-2012, 02:56 PM
The Chiefs overall have done an excellent job on securing there flaws from last season. The redzone issue improved greatly. Special teams looked tough. Our D is a force to be reckond with. Scott P is on the right track, just as I knew he would. I think we got a shot, not only at making the post season, but winning a post season game. Loving what im seeing. go CHIEFS

pojote
08-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Poe is 3rd string or lower after this week. J. Powe looked much better and had some great penetration.

Faaaaaaaact!!!

#58ChiefsFan
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I did notice that it looked on tv like we were getting to the punter, our return game didn't look too bad either.

Seek
08-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I did notice that it looked on tv like we were getting to the punter, our return game didn't look too bad either.

I forgot about that. Someone was constantly in the punters face. Trust me, that starts to get in the punters head. He out kicked his coverage once and I am sure that is a reason.

Chiefster
08-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I was excited about Friday nights win as well, but was concerned that we may have revealed too much of our offensive playbook too early, tipping our hand so to speak. Our defense played really well also, however, I feel as if we were defending a very basic style offense.

brdempsey69
08-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Matt Cassel said it best: "...It's a new era..."

Bottom line is they're much better organized and the coaching is much better. The talent level of the team is much better than it has been in years.

I won't make any predictions other than that if the Chiefs come out as ready to play every week, as they did last Friday night, then every opponent is going to have to prepare very judiciously for that one time when they come face to face with the Chiefs, regardless of where the game is being played.

#58ChiefsFan
08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
I won't make any predictions other than that if the Chiefs come out as ready to play every week, as they did last Friday night, then every opponent is going to have to prepare very judiciously for that one time when they come face to face with the Chiefs, regardless of where the game is being played.

gotta rep that:chiefs:

#58ChiefsFan
08-13-2012, 06:43 PM
I was excited about Friday nights win as well, but was concerned that we may have revealed too much of our offensive playbook too early, tipping our hand so to speak. Our defense played really well also, however, I feel as if we were defending a very basic style offense.

How awesome if we havent scratched the surface of the Daboll playbook though.

Chiefster
08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
How awesome if we havent scratched the surface of the Daboll playbook though.

That would be awesome indeed!

matthewschiefs
08-13-2012, 09:25 PM
My thoughts are that I just hope that we see as big of a jump in week 1 this year as we saw between the this years first preseason game and last years.

TopekaRoy
08-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't think we revealed to much of our playbook, Friday night. For one thing, Bowe isn't on the field yet, and for another, we only threw one pass to Baldwin. With Hillis, Charles and McCluster all able to catch the ball out of the backfield, I think we are going to have a ton of formations to work with and it will be very hard for defenses to pick up our intentions.

If anything, Arizona got burned by not playing a vanilla enough offense. Cassel did a good job of picking up blitzes and finding the the open man.

It's one thing to know what's coming. It's another thing to be able to stop it!

LlamaNinja
08-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Anyone remember how much it was a struggle playing the preseason games last season. Richardson holding every guy he could get his hands on. I liked what I saw, normally I have to start making excuses why this game doesnt matter... but I prefer feeling good the Chiefs won something. To me it shows we have some depth finally (it might not be great) but honestly seeing Washington start hurt.
I remember last season we had the starters in against the 3rd string of the Packers and we didnt win it (I think that was more of Haley's plan of taking it easy).

Chiefster
08-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't think we revealed to much of our playbook, Friday night. For one thing, Bowe isn't on the field yet, and for another, we only threw one pass to Baldwin. With Hillis, Charles and McCluster all able to catch the ball out of the backfield, I think we are going to have a ton of formations to work with and it will be very hard for defenses to pick up our intentions.

If anything, Arizona got burned by not playing a vanilla enough offense. Cassel did a good job of picking up blitzes and finding the the open man.

It's one thing to know what's coming. It's another thing to be able to stop it!

I hope Bowe can see his way clear through his very busy schedule to report to work sometime before the regular season. I have not much sympathy for holdouts.

tornadospotter
08-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Thoughts after Friday Nights game

WE WON, nuff said!
Its a great start to the season!

tornadospotter
08-15-2012, 12:20 AM
I hope Bowe can see his way clear through his very busy schedule to report to work sometime before the regular season. I have not much sympathy for holdouts.
Bowe? Who? No singy, not a chief.

Seek
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I went and watched practice with my kids yesterday. That practice was very organized.

One thing is for sure. Stanzi and Quinn are not even close to Cassel.

All Alex Tanney does is hand the ball off in running drills, while the other three Qb's work on throwing routes. I suspect he will be a practice squad guy.

Baldwin and McCluster looked great. Breaston and Cassel were definately working on things. Josh Bellamy looked very good too. With Bowe this team will be outstanding, but to be honest, we are not hurting without him and I don't see him getting a long term contract based on what I saw yesterday from Baldwin.

As I stated before, I thought McCluster was out of position at Rb. Based on Friday night and yesterday, expect to see a lot of him as a Slot receiver. He was looking good. I don't know why but it seemed like every time he touched the ball someone on defense made it an effort to pick up so he would stop running.

The

Seek
08-15-2012, 10:36 AM
I went and watched practice with my kids yesterday. That practice was very organized.

One thing is for sure. Stanzi and Quinn are not even close to Cassel.

All Alex Tanney does is hand the ball off in running drills, while the other three Qb's work on throwing routes. I suspect he will be a practice squad guy.

Baldwin and McCluster looked great. Breaston and Cassel were definately working on things. Josh Bellamy looked very good too. With Bowe this team will be outstanding, but to be honest, we are not hurting without him and I don't see him getting a long term contract based on what I saw yesterday from Baldwin.

As I stated before, I thought McCluster was out of position at Rb. Based on Friday night and yesterday, expect to see a lot of him as a Slot receiver. He was looking good. I don't know why but it seemed like every time he touched the ball someone on defense made it an effort to pick up so he would stop running.

The second Kicker. I don't know why he is on the team. Cut him now. That being said, Ryan Succup kicked a field goal that landed right on my 7 year olds head, off the bounce. He was very excited about that, but hold a grudge against number 6 and refused to get his autograph, while my 3 year old was all over getting it.

#58ChiefsFan
08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm getting convinced Bowe has really screwed himself with his shenanigans. I don't know how well he really fits in if he doesn't get a lot of targets given his inconsistency and the number of other options available now.

Love this from Holthus
@mitchholthus: Two days to go in St. Joe...best chemistry on a Chiefs team i've ever seen...not even close..everyone on the same page.

Seems everyone that has been to St Joe says the same things.

Seek
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm getting convinced Bowe has really screwed himself with his shenanigans. I don't know how well he really fits in if he doesn't get a lot of targets given his inconsistency and the number of other options available now.

Love this from Holthus
@mitchholthus: Two days to go in St. Joe...best chemistry on a Chiefs team i've ever seen...not even close..everyone on the same page.

Yesterday, I heard Jonatha Baldwin in a 2 minute drill yell to Cassel. Cassel read the defense gave him a sign, and Baldwin toasted the Corner, Brown I think and Cassel hit him in a three step drop for a 15 yard gain and boy did Baldwin look big and strong in comparision to everyone else around him. I think the two of them looked great together yesterday. There is a strong connection with Cassel and McCluster also. I saw Cassel talking to Breaston while the 2nd stringers were working going over issues they were having and they talked for about 3 minutes with lots of of hand gestures simulating routes.

Ryfo18
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Love this from Holthus

I can't really fault Bowe for not being there. He's going to have to play on a 1-year contract, so he has no incentive to go out there and take the added risk of suffering a career threatening injury. He'll be around for week 1 for sure.

Chiefster
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Bowe? Who? No singy, not a chief.

Well, I don't know about his singing voice but I do know he hasn't signed as of yet. :lol:

#58ChiefsFan
08-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I can't really fault Bowe for not being there. He's going to have to play on a 1-year contract, so he has no incentive to go out there and take the added risk of suffering a career threatening injury. He'll be around for week 1 for sure.

No doubt hell be here when it's time for game checks. I just have trouble buying the injury excuse if he showed up in shape ready to go back in July. A guy like Moeaki or someone with a history of missing games maybe but not Dwayne.

Ryfo18
08-17-2012, 04:03 PM
No doubt hell be here when it's time for game checks. I just have trouble buying the injury excuse if he showed up in shape ready to go back in July. A guy like Moeaki or someone with a history of missing games maybe but not Dwayne.

I agree, but look at a guy like Peyton Manning...Never missed a game in his career prior to having to miss a full season. Injuries aren't selective.

matthewschiefs
08-17-2012, 10:35 PM

I understand the risk but to me it's like saying he's above everyone else. I would be ok if anything could have been done by his holding out. It couldn't the deadline to play under a new deal had long past. If he was going to play this year it had to under the tender. Add to the fact that there was a brand new offense being put in I think Bowe should have really been there in camp at the start. If he could have got a new deal I would understand it more but since he couldn't I really don't like his hold out at all.

chief31
08-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Are you saying that The Chiefs were unable to sign a long.term deal with.him?
I understand the risk but to me it's like saying he's above everyone else. I would be ok if anything could have been done by his holding out. It couldn't the deadline to play under a new deal had long past. If he was going to play this year it had to under the tender. Add to the fact that there was a brand new offense being put in I think Bowe should have really been there in camp at the start. If he could have got a new deal I would understand it more but since he couldn't I really don't like his hold out at all.

ctchiefsfan
08-18-2012, 08:17 AM

The deadline to sign a long term deal passed a couple of months ago. He can only play this year under a 1 year franchise tag. Officially the process begins again after the season. We can negotiate with him "under the table" now, but that ain't happening, 'cause DB has an inflated sense of his worth.

It is "Put up or shut up" time for DB.

My guess is that next year he will be trade bait. He is just not as good as he thinks he is.

matthewschiefs
08-18-2012, 11:29 AM

After the deadline passed they couldn't no. I had no problem with him until after the deadline past. I understood but nothing could be done and he didn't show up to camp while a new offense was being put in. To me that just doesn't sit well. I don't hate Bowe at all but I just think he made a very selfish move by not being at camp.

chief31
08-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Ah...I see.

Ryfo18
08-18-2012, 06:00 PM
After the deadline passed they couldn't no. I had no problem with him until after the deadline past. I understood but nothing could be done and he didn't show up to camp while a new offense was being put in. To me that just doesn't sit well. I don't hate Bowe at all but I just think he made a very selfish move by not being at camp.

Or maybe it's selfish for us, as fans, to expect a player playing on a 1-year contract (with little security for the future should he suffer a serious injury) to risk going through a whole training camp, yeah?

matthewschiefs
08-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Or maybe it's selfish for us, as fans, to expect a player playing on a 1-year contract (with little security for the future should he suffer a serious injury) to risk going through a whole training camp, yeah?

Why there are undrafted rookies who are just fighting to be apart of 1 team risking injury who are not guaranteed 9 million a year. Why is it ok for them to risk injury but not Bowe? I understand he's trying to do the best for him. But when nothing can be done about the situation then IMO he should have been at camp. It's his job. The job he chose to do. I don't hate Bowe I just don't like what he did.

matthewschiefs
08-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Everyone step back and be realistic. This was the Arizona Cardinals, a team we blew out in 2010. Now we have the rams today, that being said I am now worried about Jamaal Charles, I have been out of town for a week and just saw Charles' catch and carries, he looked tentative/slow. Guess we will see what happens tonight, but past history shows us that ACL tears on running backs kills their career, especially for a cut runner like Charles. A not as effective Jamaal Charles means big trouble this year.

2010 means nothing. They are not the same team we are not the same team. They had 1 advantage with a game under there belt we didn't as far as Charles I didn't see him look tentative at all. It was his first time out don't read to much into it. And Hillis and gray both also looked strong.

matthewschiefs
08-18-2012, 07:35 PM
You're right, they didnt have their best defensive player last week that they had in 2010 (Cromartie)

And we didn't have one of our best offensive players that we had in 2010 (Bowe) Come one lets not be negitive after a preseason WIN.

Chiefster
08-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Ah...I see.

...And I smell, but hey...what do you expect after eating an onion sandwich.