PDA

View Full Version : What operating system are you running?

hermhater
10-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I am just interested in getting to know the different operating systems being used out there with the wide variety available right now.

XP, is still being used by many as Microsoft tries to transition users to Vista.

Also there are companies selling linux distributions on new machines, such as Dell and Lenovo.

Just trying to get a sampling of what the new norm is.

m0ebr0
10-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Vista Ultiate for me

rbedgood
10-11-2007, 11:55 PM
My personal machine needs to be replaced (when the budget allows) but it's on Win 98 still

My work laptop is on XP Pro

Guru
10-11-2007, 11:57 PM
XP Pro for me. Have used Vista Business and didn't like it.

Have also tried several of the Linux distros but here I am back at XP.

sling58
10-12-2007, 07:41 AM
I am using the one on the computer.

hermhater
10-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I am using the one on the computer.

Which is???

McLovin
10-12-2007, 05:15 PM
My youngest daughter is using a Windows ME computer (she is 5)but we are prolly going to upgrade it to XP very soon. (maybe this weekend)

Oldest Daughter is using XP Pro on her desktop but her laptop only has Win 95 (she is 8), She may end up with one of the XP laptops soon.

My Wifes Laptop is XP Home, Her Desktop is XP Pro.

One of my laptops is XP Home, One is Mac OS 10.2
I am currently using Windows Media Center edition 2005 on one of my desktops and the other is Media Center Edition (original), This laptop is Vista Premium, I have a version of Astrumi Linux I boot to on occasion and Ultimate Boot Disk with Bart PE I use at times as well. Oooh yea and I have a palm and a phone with handheld windows operating system. I also have a Mac Laptop that the hard drive went bad I am going to install OS 10.4 if I can get a copy of the disk.

BTW these are just the computers in use, of the 35 I have stored (Maybe More by now) about 10 of those work and have everything from windows 95 to windows xp. Of the ones that dont work I have around 20 WinXP licenses on cases of broken PCs. I may even have a 3.1 box somewhere but wouldnt know where.

K Now what do I win. How much arrowcash is all that worth lol.

hermhater
10-12-2007, 06:15 PM
My youngest daughter is using a Windows ME computer (she is 5)but we are prolly going to upgrade it to XP very soon. (maybe this weekend)

Oldest Daughter is using XP Pro on her desktop but her laptop only has Win 95 (she is 8), She may end up with one of the XP laptops soon.

I am currently using Windows Media Center edition 2005 on one of my desktops and the other is Media Center Edition (original), This laptop is Vista Premium, I have a version of Astrumi Linux I boot to on occasion and Ultimate Boot Disk with Bart PE I use at times as well. Oooh yea and I have a palm and a phone with handheld windows operating system. I also have a Mac Laptop that the hard drive went bad I am going to install OS 10.4 if I can get a copy of the disk.

BTW these are just the computers in use, of the 35 I have stored (Maybe More by now) about 10 of those work and have everything from windows 95 to windows xp. Of the ones that dont work I have around 20 WinXP licenses on cases of broken PCs. I may even have a 3.1 box somewhere but wouldnt know where.

Nice roster there dude!

I was actually more interested in the average user who has only one main computer.

Just wanted to know how quick this Vista progression is going for Microsoft mainly.

Still a pretty impressive collection.

Guru
10-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Geez dude. Trash can.

Must be nice to be able to provide a laptop to your kids though. I can't swing that kind of cash around.

Still waiting for the $150 laptop being talked about out there.

Chiefster
10-12-2007, 06:43 PM
XP Pro for me. Have used Vista Business and didn't like it.

Have also tried several of the Linux distros but here I am back at XP.

Ditto!

Guru
10-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Ditto!

Now that post was just a complete waste of space.

McLovin
10-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Geez dude. Trash can.

Must be nice to be able to provide a laptop to your kids though. I can't swing that kind of cash around.

Still waiting for the $150 laptop being talked about out there.
Actually the laptop I am giving the 8 year old is one I could sell for around 250 if I put around 60 into it. 2 of my laptops I bought new, 2 of my PCs I built (one is 2 years old the other is 4 years old. The other computers are all ones I have gotten from customers on trade towards new PCs even both Macs (both laptops) were given to me. I really don't have much invested in any of it. I just make good deals on new and take the old in trade, sometimes sell the old but then keep some of the best trade ins.

Best trade in I have gotten, Gateway PC hit by lightning, needed a new 5 dollar card, problem is the part that was out was built into the board. Insurance wanted to replace the PC.
Bought new PC for customer, Insurance company said for me to keep the old one. Sent a quote for the new pc. Got approval for the new PC, they went on sale the next day, Ended up getting the PC and a free flat panel monitor.
The next day sold the flat panel for 300, ended up making around 600 (including the flat panel) Plus got a 6 month old Gateway PC with a Gig of Ram, A DVD Burner, Duel TV Tuner Card. and Windows XP Media Center Edition. Sweet computer especially for free and getting paid to take it. I love my job.

luv
10-13-2007, 02:06 AM
Tower - XP
Laptop - Vista

sling58
10-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Which is???

XP. Not a tech person so don't think I would need anything other that what I have now. I just go on the internet to check sports things and search for Chiefs related stuff.

chief31
10-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Windows XP.

spiman
10-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Windows Vista-Ultimate for me also..I like it lots. Added Office Pro 2007 and Windows Live One care. All runs great.The firewall protection is better in Vista and Onecare but somewhat a hassle-but how secure is secure?

hermhater
10-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Actually the laptop I am giving the 8 year old is one I could sell for around 250 if I put around 60 into it. 2 of my laptops I bought new, 2 of my PCs I built (one is 2 years old the other is 4 years old. The other computers are all ones I have gotten from customers on trade towards new PCs even both Macs (both laptops) were given to me. I really don't have much invested in any of it. I just make good deals on new and take the old in trade, sometimes sell the old but then keep some of the best trade ins.

Best trade in I have gotten, Gateway PC hit by lightning, needed a new 5 dollar card, problem is the part that was out was built into the board. Insurance wanted to replace the PC.
Bought new PC for customer, Insurance company said for me to keep the old one. Sent a quote for the new pc. Got approval for the new PC, they went on sale the next day, Ended up getting the PC and a free flat panel monitor.
The next day sold the flat panel for 300, ended up making around 600 (including the flat panel) Plus got a 6 month old Gateway PC with a Gig of Ram, A DVD Burner, Duel TV Tuner Card. and Windows XP Media Center Edition. Sweet computer especially for free and getting paid to take it. I love my job.

Geeks of the world unite!

hermhater
10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Windows Vista-Ultimate for me also..I like it lots. Added Office Pro 2007 and Windows Live One care. All runs great.The firewall protection is better in Vista and Onecare but somewhat a hassle-but how secure is secure?

I have not used Onecare live, head it uses up too many resources.

Norton 360 is a revamped version of Norton Internet Security, and does everything in the background without using barely any resources.

Recommend it.

McLovin
10-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I am a Microsoft Partner, and subscribe to Microsoft products, I wont use OneCare though, Even though I could get it for free. Saw a report a couple months ago that of all of the antivirus solutions Microsoft is the only one that been given a failing grade every quarter for 2 years. Not only that none of the others has had a failing grade in 2 years.

I personally use both Trend Micro and Kasperski. Not really happy with either but right now there isn't much good out. I used to use Norton, (antivirus - Not Internet Insecurity) but it has gotten so big brother and it doesn't work near as good as it used to. 30% of computers I work on with a virus have Norton, 30% have AVG (with free you get what you pay for nothing) 20% have McAfee, 10% have no virus software at all and 10% share the others. Like I said I like TrendMicro but the software is buggy, not a lot of control, and it is a major resource hog.

spiman
10-14-2007, 01:11 AM
My bro works for hotmail-microsoft owned-my software costs next to nothing also.Thanx for the info, I have some reading to do.