PDA

View Full Version : Time for me to do some hating on the QB

matthewschiefs
09-23-2012, 06:00 PM
For the first 2 weeks I have defended Matt Cassel. I felt that he was being unfairly called out and others were getting a hall pass. Not that I have felt Cassel had played well but the whole team was playing poorly. Today was the first time I saw him alone hurting this team. I'm mostly talking about the passes to Mccluster and Hillis that both seemed to have gotten hurt adjusting to a poorly throw ball. THAT CAN'T HAPPEN. This team can not afford to lose guys because the QB can't get them the ball without them getting hurt. That is hurting the team and it's something that ONLY Matt Cassel can control. Cassel has to play better or we need to cut bait get the balls to make a move. This was not a great D he went against and he couldn't finish drives at all. You're not going to win 99% of the time when you settle for 3 over and over and over again. Matt Cassel today was one of the biggest problems on this team. As I stated I am calling him out for it. Cassel needs to feel some pressure for his job and it needs to be real pressure. Getting guys hurt will kill this team.

brdempsey69
09-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Indeed, I agree 100%. Cassel must step up or STEP ASIDE. There is no two ways about it.

Mitch and Lenny were repeatedly talking about passes not being thrown anywhere close to being accurate when Cassel was being given reasonably good pass-protection.

I just don't think he is the guy to take them to next level, where they will have post season success.

And a REC, BTW.

Bike
09-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm on the same page. But Cassel has the huge contract. He'll play until he gets hurt.

KCraised
09-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Step stools for all recievers!
Man, he came off looking like a hero after that chinese firedrill he was running around in the backfield, sweet panicked spinmove, and found a receiver....well done, Matthew, well done *golf clap*

Sick Dog
09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
There is no better option as you know and he made some throws like the one just mentioned...

wadman
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
we wont have a recieving core if cassel keeps hanging them out like that

KCraised
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Right about that. Hope good news on McCluster

2010chiefs
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
this team would have destroyed the saints with a Decent qb. He settles for 3 first chance he gets. that wont get it done. charles the d and succop got us this win. cassel just barely didnt lose it for us with that prayer he threw. go chiefs.

LlamaNinja
09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
this team would have destroyed the saints with a Decent qb. He settles for 3 first chance he gets. that wont get it done. charles the d and succop got us this win. cassel just barely didnt lose it for us with that prayer he threw. go chiefs.
It reminded me of the Colts and Chiefs game. I think the Saints will be this years losing team because they look in shambles. I am hoping next week he calms down passing and makes nice throws where WR's arent throwing their bodies to make a catch.

Lord-Chiefy
09-23-2012, 08:29 PM
dang it the pos faiders won... now were gonna have to listen to the drug addict, gang banging, rapists, muerdurering, bank robbing, wife beating, wife beating shirt wearing fans run thier mouths.

chief31
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, no excusing some of the ugly passes today. But he was not terrible on the day.

Managed nothing in the redzone. But he did move us down the field a lot. And he came up big in few rough situations.

Overall a poor showing. But I am not trying to hang the guy for it.

I still think we have been putting him in positions where he trying to fit a share peg into a round slot. Run and rely on defense is what we train for and we have slammed ourselves out of tjhat from poor performances.

Although, each game that passes without him showing what we need is wearing on me.

KCraised
09-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, more of the same from Cassel. I actually do feel sorry for the guy. He wants to do right so bad. But, he better get those passes corrected....

Hayvern
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
We will never win the Super Bowl without a quarterback, Cassel is not that guy right now. Maybe later, but not now.

Bike
09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Cassel is who he is. I really don't see the guy getting any better after 6 years in the league.

Ryfo18
09-24-2012, 12:12 AM
The play he made to scramble and throw across the field to pick up the first down late was outstanding. Other than that though, a very poor showing for Cassel. He put his receivers in a lot of bad situations today. Poor McCluster. Hope to see him back soon. He was starting to finally find his own in the slot.

AkChief49
09-24-2012, 12:20 AM
The play he made to scramble and throw across the field to pick up the first down late was outstanding. Other than that though, a very poor showing for Cassel. He put his receivers in a lot of bad situations today. Poor McCluster. Hope to see him back soon. He was starting to finally find his own in the slot.
He almost got Dwayne-I'll drop an easy pass- Bowe hurt also.

2010chiefs
09-24-2012, 12:22 AM
its the nfl chief31. We will always be put in situations where he has to come out of his norm but he cant do that. Sometimes the qb has to scramble or throw the long ball. cassel is too predictable.

AkChief49
09-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Well, no excusing some of the ugly passes today. But he was not terrible on the day.

Managed nothing in the redzone. But he did move us down the field a lot. And he came up big in few rough situations.

Overall a poor showing. But I am not trying to hang the guy for it.

I still think we have been putting him in positions where he trying to fit a share peg into a round slot. Run and rely on defense is what we train for and we have slammed ourselves out of tjhat from poor performances.

Although, each game that passes without him showing what we need is wearing on me.

No doubt we are built to run. Everyone else it seems, is built to score via the pass, (at least be able to) then salt the game away via the run. It's the nature of the league now-the passing game. 3 redzone trips? all FG's. It's just my opinion that that will not get it done on every Sunday. I find I'm asking myself-are we built to run because we are limited to that scheme?

We have a couple, three pretty good receivers. We won't have them if Matt keeps throwing balls where they are so extended and then get plowed.

Today they got 'er done!! they did not quit, they showed there is some dog left in them. If I was giving a game ball-it goes to the D/ and Charles. Houston was an animal today also.

Seek
09-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Right about that. Hope good news on McCluster

Dislocated Elbow

nigeriannightmare
09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah gonna have to agree with most of this. On the INT it looked like draughn was wide open and had plenty of room to run. And man he hits mccluster in stride who knows what would have happened instead mccluster gets bloody hurt.

I don't see how playing quinn will hurt us.

Seek
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah gonna have to agree with most of this. On the INT it looked like draughn was wide open and had plenty of room to run. And man he hits mccluster in stride who knows what would have happened instead mccluster gets bloody hurt.

I don't see how playing quinn will hurt us.

Have you guys seen Quinn play. Have you watched him Practice. You really don't know what you are asking for. Just go jump on a fence and rack yourself now and get it over with.

nigeriannightmare
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Have you guys seen Quinn play. Have you watched him Practice. You really don't know what you are asking for. Just go jump on a fence and rack yourself now and get it over with.

New Orleans is terrible on defense terrible and Matt couldn't get it into the end zone. Pretty sure Brady quinn can hand it off to Jamaal and make at least a couple of plays a game.

Seek
09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
New Orleans is terrible on defense terrible and Matt couldn't get it into the end zone. Pretty sure Brady quinn can hand it off to Jamaal and make at least a couple of plays a game.

Matt made a couple plays a game. The Quinn I watched in practice and in pre-season wouldn't have faired better than Cassel. Trust me. That play that McClustre got hurt on. Quinn was throwing in to the dirt or about the same as Cassel.

Cassel had a bad game, but not bad enough to say anyone but him. As I said, Brees also had a bad game. So did Peyton Manning.

Cassel is not a superstar but he is not as bad as every hater in this thread made him out to be.

nigeriannightmare
09-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Matt made a couple plays a game. The Quinn I watched in practice and in pre-season wouldn't have faired better than Cassel. Trust me. That play that McClustre got hurt on. Quinn was throwing in to the dirt or about the same as Cassel.

Cassel had a bad game, but not bad enough to say anyone but him. As I said, Brees also had a bad game. So did Peyton Manning.

Cassel is not a superstar but he is not as bad as every hater in this thread made him out to be.

I am no where near a hater And maybe this win is what gets everybodys confidence going. I gues well see.

chief31
09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Blaming Cassel for McCluster's arm giving out?

This is just ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

And wait, there's more. He led a WR into some traffic? Yeah. Tom Brady was tying to attend some of his WRs' funerals in the next few days too.

There is no QB who does not lead his receivers into some traffic sometimes. And Cassel has been no worse about that than any QB.

He was looking sloppy yesterday, despite the countless extended drives he helped sustain.

But the great lengths that some people will go to to try and add unwarranted blame on the guy is laughable.

Like it or not, and even though JC was the obvious spark plug, Matt Cassel was a big part of how this team came back to win yesterday.

And prior the second half of yestrday's game, he was the only part of this team that was doing anything at all.

IslandKing77
09-24-2012, 06:34 PM
There is no better option as you know and he made some throws like the one just mentioned...

No better option? :lol:

There's a first round QB sitting on the bench who never had a chance to play a football game with the kind of talent around him that Cassel is determined to send to the ER every Sunday.

It's obvious to everyone that Cassel isn't good enough. The option is to keep doing the same thing every week expecting a different outcome (insanity), or move on and find out what you DO have. Give Quinn a chance, if he doesn't get better, give Stanzi a chance.

The trickshot guy cannot do worse than Cassel.

IslandKing77
09-24-2012, 06:36 PM
dang it the pos faiders won... now were gonna have to listen to the drug addict, gang banging, rapists, muerdurering, bank robbing, wife beating, wife beating shirt wearing fans run thier mouths.

They cannot possibly compose a more idiotic sentence than this so it won't really be all that bad.

IslandKing77
09-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Not as ridiculous as the pass McCluster had to leap into the air to catch. But hey, it was a 60 yard pass so you cannot get all that upset about the accuracy. O wait, it was a 5 yard dump pass. Well, c'mon, not every QB in the NFL can hit a target from that far away.

And wait, there's more. He led a WR into some traffic? Yeah. Tom Brady was tying to attend some of his WRs' funerals in the next few days too.

There is no QB who does not lead his receivers into some traffic sometimes. And Cassel has been no worse about that than any QB.

How is someone supposed to take your point of view serious when you compare Cassel to Brady? Maybe we're not watching the same games, maybe you're not watching other teams play. I have never seen a QB at the professional level stare down his receivers and put them in harms way with bad passes as consistently as Matt Cassel.

He was looking sloppy yesterday, despite the countless extended drives he helped sustain.

He didn't look sloppy, he looked like his normal self. The Saints have an attempt at a brend/don't break defense. They typically are happy to let you move down the field on them and they tighten up in the red zone, limiting you to a field goal attempt. This works fine for them because when their offense is clicking, they are putting up 40 points. So yeah, he sustained drives against a defense designed to allow it.

But the great lengths that some people will go to to try and add unwarranted blame on the guy is laughable.

Like it or not, and even though JC was the obvious spark plug, Matt Cassel was a big part of how this team came back to win yesterday.

I agree with you on this. Cassel was a great big part of it. Without Cassel they wouldn't have been so far behind.

And prior the second half of yestrday's game, he was the only part of this team that was doing anything at all.

I guess to 2 of 6 Succop field goals in the first half don't count. Don't get me wrong, I love the flash back to the Nick Lowry days but I balk at applauding the QB for his inability to lead the offense into the end zone.

I don't understand the Cassel defender/apologist reflex.

I don't dislike Cassel, I don't think anyone questions his desire.

What is also unquestionable is that he lacks the abilities that a team needs in a starting QB. Forget the superbowl, this team isn't going to win a playoff game with him at the helm. :beat_DeadHorse:

The Chiefs are not doing themselves or us any favors trying to pretend otherwise.

jap1
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM

There's a first round QB sitting on the bench who never had a chance to play a football game with the kind of talent around him that Cassel is determined to send to the ER every Sunday.

It's obvious to everyone that Cassel isn't good enough. The option is to keep doing the same thing every week expecting a different outcome (insanity), or move on and find out what you DO have. Give Quinn a chance, if he doesn't get better, give Stanzi a chance.

Yes, a first round QB that should have never been taken in the first round who came out of one of the most overhyped college football programs in the nation (and we are ND fans in my house except when they play Navy). There is a reason he had the embarassing drop down the draft boards. He is horribly inaccurate. If he were playing, we would have a lot more interceptions that arent because of tipped passes, but sheerly passes thrown errantly. Cassel isnt the most accurate, but he usually is fairly conservative and doesnt throw passes into the hands of defenders like Quinn did. Yes, I know he did that this weekend, but it is not usual for him to do that. Quinn is not that answer to anything other than trivia questions about Notre Dame.

jap1
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Dislocated Elbow

I tend to be a pessimist about injuries. The elbow is a very stable joint and usually does not dislocate without breaking some of the bones or tearing some of the ligaments. I hope that is the case. The good news is that upper body injuries are much easier to recover from without affecting your playing ability. You can keep working out your lower body when you are recovering from an upper body injury.

matthewschiefs
09-24-2012, 10:10 PM

I have to disagree about not putting blame on Cassel for Mccluster he got hurt while making the adjustment to the ball. If the ball is thrown well then he doesn't have to make the adjustment to the ball.

The one to Hillis I don't think was on Cassel after seeing the play again.

I don't hate Cassel and I have defended him all year but there were times Cassel's poor throwing was putting guys in harms way. Bowe also could have been hurt on one of them. That can't happen if this continues I think giving Quinn a shot to see if he can do better isn't such a bad move. I don't know that Quinn would but If Cassel isn't getting better then you never no what if any Quinn can do.

chief31
09-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I have to disagree about not putting blame on Cassel for Mccluster he got hurt while making the adjustment to the ball. If the ball is thrown well then he doesn't have to make the adjustment to the ball.

The one to Hillis I don't think was on Cassel after seeing the play again.

I don't hate Cassel and I have defended him all year but there were times Cassel's poor throwing was putting guys in harms way. Bowe also could have been hurt on one of them. That can't happen if this continues I think giving Quinn a shot to see if he can do better isn't such a bad move. I don't know that Quinn would but If Cassel isn't getting better then you never no what if any Quinn can do.

Yes. Obviously, when a player makes a catch, and snaps his arm making a move afterward, that is definitely the QBs fault.

And again, Tom Brady was getting his receivers BLASTED yesterday, and every QB in The NFL does it, with yesterday being the first time I have ever heard that complaint about Matt Cassel. Which is saying a whole lot, considering the endless complaining that he has had aimed at him for everything from poor defense, to abortion law.

I have seen every QB that I have EVER seen play miss far worse on a dump pass like that.

McCluster is the reason that McCluster got hurt.

chief31
09-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Not as ridiculous as the pass McCluster had to leap into the air to catch. But hey, it was a 60 yard pass so you cannot get all that upset about the accuracy. O wait, it was a 5 yard dump pass. Well, c'mon, not every QB in the NFL can hit a target from that far away.

Oh yeah. A slightly off target dump pass, like every NFL QB has thrown, is such a rarity. It only happens about once per game, or more, regardless of teams.

How is someone supposed to take your point of view serious when you compare Cassel to Brady? Maybe we're not watching the same games, maybe you're not watching other teams play. I have never seen a QB at the professional level stare down his receivers and put them in harms way with bad passes as consistently as Matt Cassel.

I don't ever want YOU to take me serious. If you do, I will have to rethink where I have swayed to.

Tom Brady got his receivers absolutely DEMOLISHED several times yesterday. And I am listening to people complain because he threw a pass to his receiver, who caught the pass, and then broke his arm trying to make a move afterward, with no defender near.

By THAT standard, Cassel is the better QB.

Every QB to ever play a couple of games has thrown a few ugly passes. And they have all led their receives into heavy traffic.

Matt Cassel, who gets criticized by Chiefs fans for even his TD passes, has never been criticized for that before.

He didn't look sloppy, he looked like his normal self. The Saints have an attempt at a brend/don't break defense. They typically are happy to let you move down the field on them and they tighten up in the red zone, limiting you to a field goal attempt. This works fine for them because when their offense is clicking, they are putting up 40 points. So yeah, he sustained drives against a defense designed to allow it.

I agree with you on this. Cassel was a great big part of it. Without Cassel they wouldn't have been so far behind.

I guess to 2 of 6 Succop field goals in the first half don't count. Don't get me wrong, I love the flash back to the Nick Lowry days but I balk at applauding the QB for his inability to lead the offense into the end zone.

I don't understand the Cassel defender/apologist reflex.

I don't dislike Cassel, I don't think anyone questions his desire.

What is also unquestionable is that he lacks the abilities that a team needs in a starting QB. Forget the superbowl, this team isn't going to win a playoff game with him at the helm. :beat_DeadHorse:

The Chiefs are not doing themselves or us any favors trying to pretend otherwise.

And when Drew Bees does what Cassel did yesterday, he is a hero. When any other QB does it, he is a hero.

He was called names because The defense gave up 75 points in the first two games.

He was trashed because he was sacked by an unblocked guy around from his blind side.

He was trashed because Moeaki slapped the ball to a defender.

He was trashed because Peyton Hillis fumbled the football at the goalline.

He was trashed despite the fact that he was one yard shy of leading the team in RUSHING at the half. (No running game.)

And this week he is trashed because Dex hurt himself.

I could handle some real world complaints. I have some myself.

But it is this total reversal of reality that has me shaking my head.

matthewschiefs
09-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Yes. Obviously, when a player makes a catch, and snaps his arm making a move afterward, that is definitely the QBs fault.

And again, Tom Brady was getting his receivers BLASTED yesterday, and every QB in The NFL does it, with yesterday being the first time I have ever heard that complaint about Matt Cassel. Which is saying a whole lot, considering the endless complaining that he has had aimed at him for everything from poor defense, to abortion law.

I have seen every QB that I have EVER seen play miss far worse on a dump pass like that.

McCluster is the reason that McCluster got hurt.

I do agree that Cassel gets blasted for WAY WAY to much but this time I just think he needs to be blasted. My memory of the play was that Mccluster went up got that ball came down and right away goes down grabing his elbow. I think it's clear that he hurt it adjusting to that ball IMO. (My memory could be off on it though) Then the throw to Bowe where he ended up doing a flip in mid air Bowe could have been really hurt on that and we would be without 2 weapons because of bad throws from Cassel. I think any fan base would be upset with there qb if that happened in 1 game. I have been one to defend Cassel the first 2 weeks this week I'm going to be one that is not happy with his play. I said in defending him that I would say when I thought Cassel was hurting the team and Yesterday I think he hurt the team so I am staying true to my word. I don't hate him I'm not going to say cut him. But I do think if this putting the wrs in harms way keeps happening and we are losing guys because of it then yes we need to see if someone else can do the job better.

Other Qbs make mistakes like that true doesn't make it acceptable. I don't really complain about any of it from other QBs because there not Chiefs QBs I really don't pay as much attention to those QBs and those teams as I do the Chiefs.

jap1
09-25-2012, 06:00 AM
My memory of the play was that Mccluster went up got that ball came down and right away goes down grabing his elbow. I think it's clear that he hurt it adjusting to that ball IMO. (My memory could be off on it though)

My recollection of the injury is that DMC jumped and turned to catch the ball. As he straightened his body out and was coming down, his feet were not directly under him. As he was going down, he put his arm out to catch himself and try to stay up and keep moving. The force of his body falling was too much in the wrong direction and his elbow bent the wrong way.

Just wanted to clarify. He hurt it not from the catch so much as from how he landed/trying to stay up.

Here is (surprisingly) the only video I can find of the injury online. It comes at roughly 2:04 seconds and doesnt show the catch, just the attempt at staying up. Obviously if you are queasy about seeing limbs bending the wrong way, you may not want to watch it.

NFL Week 3 Injuries: Stafford, Revis, Spiller, Heyward-Bey and Reggie Bush All Injured on Sunday - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBxHXVzB2Ig)

Seek
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM

You have no sense of reality if you think Stanzi or the Trickshot guy can do not worse than Cassel. Really. Have you seen these two actually play. Did you see Pre-season. Did you watch them practice by Chance.

Heck Alex Tanney at practice didn't even go throw the ball with the QB's when they worked on passing routes Instead he went to the 7 on 7 and handed the ball off to the running backs.

LlamaNinja
09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Here is the McCluster play
Throw - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYo0Xu0qKbE&feature=youtu.be)

I wonder how Quinn would do with the starters AND I wonder how Tanney would be if we gave him a shot.

Bike
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
You have no sense of reality if you think Stanzi or the Trickshot guy can do not worse than Cassel. Really. Have you seen these two actually play. Did you see Pre-season. Did you watch them practice by Chance.

Heck Alex Tanney at practice didn't even go throw the ball with the QB's when they worked on passing routes Instead he went to the 7 on 7 and handed the ball off to the running backs.
If these guys are as bad as you say they are, why are they on the roster?

Seek
09-25-2012, 02:28 PM
If these guys are as bad as you say they are, why are they on the roster?

Tanney is not on the roster. He was misteriously injured before cuts and placed on IR. I expected him to be put on the PS before he was put on IR.

Quinn is on the roster to be a back up. If he was a starter he would have stuck in Cleveland then Denver before coming to KC.

I am not saying Quinn is horrible, but after watching him in pre-season and camp. He is well behind Cassel and will not improve this teams chances.

If there was a more viable option at QB, Stanzi would go. I highly doubt he makes the team next year unless he improves his game awareness. Right now the game is way to fast for him.

JPPT1974
09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Cassel really needs to be the clutch QB that NFL loves to have and fans.

Chiefster
09-25-2012, 03:28 PM
My recollection of the injury is that DMC jumped and turned to catch the ball. As he straightened his body out and was coming down, his feet were not directly under him. As he was going down, he put his arm out to catch himself and try to stay up and keep moving. The force of his body falling was too much in the wrong direction and his elbow bent the wrong way.

Just wanted to clarify. He hurt it not from the catch so much as from how he landed/trying to stay up.

Here is (surprisingly) the only video I can find of the injury online. It comes at roughly 2:04 seconds and doesnt show the catch, just the attempt at staying up. Obviously if you are queasy about seeing limbs bending the wrong way, you may not want to watch it.

NFL Week 3 Injuries: Stafford, Revis, Spiller, Heyward-Bey and Reggie Bush All Injured on Sunday - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBxHXVzB2Ig)

That is the first time I've seen that and have only one thing to say about it...OUCH!!!!!

KCraised
09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
*edit***

Someone already answered my post;)

chief31
09-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I do agree that Cassel gets blasted for WAY WAY to much but this time I just think he needs to be blasted. My memory of the play was that Mccluster went up got that ball came down and right away goes down grabing his elbow. I think it's clear that he hurt it adjusting to that ball IMO. (My memory could be off on it though) Then the throw to Bowe where he ended up doing a flip in mid air Bowe could have been really hurt on that and we would be without 2 weapons because of bad throws from Cassel. I think any fan base would be upset with there qb if that happened in 1 game. I have been one to defend Cassel the first 2 weeks this week I'm going to be one that is not happy with his play. I said in defending him that I would say when I thought Cassel was hurting the team and Yesterday I think he hurt the team so I am staying true to my word. I don't hate him I'm not going to say cut him. But I do think if this putting the wrs in harms way keeps happening and we are losing guys because of it then yes we need to see if someone else can do the job better.

Other Qbs make mistakes like that true doesn't make it acceptable. I don't really complain about any of it from other QBs because there not Chiefs QBs I really don't pay as much attention to those QBs and those teams as I do the Chiefs.

Actually yes... That fact of how ridiculously common it is DOES make it acceptable. Not good. But definitely acceptable.

I think you are just buckling to the anti-Cassel pressure with this.

McCluster got hurt because of Dexter McCluster, not Matt Cassel.

And trying to make a play to Bowe, who almost got hurt doing THE EXACT SAME THING, is quite reasonable. We were down and trying to get back into the game. You take some extra chances in that situation.

If he didn't take a chance, then he would have been the worst ever for that.

When the rest of this team does even a reasonable job, it will show in Matt's play.

While he did look sloppy, he made a lot of big plays to help this team win.

He is not lighting it up. And it's the fumbled that are my biggest complaint.

But he has played well enough win three games, if the defense o-line and running game had been doing even fair through the first two weeks.

I think Thursday pass protection will improve week by week. And I hope the defense has found what was missing. And well.... JC sure made it look like the running game is back.

The more the rest of this team gets their feet beneath them, the more I will expect from Matt Cassel.

But so far, I see considerable improvement from Matt, over where he was a year ago.

matthewschiefs
09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Actually yes... That fact of how ridiculously common it is DOES make it acceptable. Not good. But definitely acceptable.

I think you are just buckling to the anti-Cassel pressure with this.

McCluster got hurt because of Dexter McCluster, not Matt Cassel.

And trying to make a play to Bowe, who almost got hurt doing THE EXACT SAME THING, is quite reasonable. We were down and trying to get back into the game. You take some extra chances in that situation.

If he didn't take a chance, then he would have been the worst ever for that.

When the rest of this team does even a reasonable job, it will show in Matt's play.

While he did look sloppy, he made a lot of big plays to help this team win.

He is not lighting it up. And it's the fumbled that are my biggest complaint.

But he has played well enough win three games, if the defense o-line and running game had been doing even fair through the first two weeks.

I think Thursday pass protection will improve week by week. And I hope the defense has found what was missing. And well.... JC sure made it look like the running game is back.

The more the rest of this team gets their feet beneath them, the more I will expect from Matt Cassel.

But so far, I see considerable improvement from Matt, over where he was a year ago.

Not buckling to the Cassel hate at all I just think that Cassel had some off moments in the game sunday and it hurt the team. Even the greats have games like that. Cassel IMO had one Sunday. I'm not saying bench him I'm not saying that he sucks I'm just saying that if this becomes a trend we need to look at options. Since I defended Cassel the first 2 weeks if I didn't call him out when IMO he had an off game I would be no different from MMO and some other haters. And its been a while since we were on opposing sides of an issue I was starting to get worried :lol:

Now in saying that something I should have mentioned is that Cassel did have some moments that did help. He took us down the field at the end and gave us the chance to tie and win the game.

matthewschiefs
09-30-2012, 04:21 PM
More hate from me this week. His turnovers hurt the team BIG TIME. He wasn't alone but He did more to hurt the team then help today. I think it's time to bench number 7 MAYBE quinn can do better. Is it likely no but how do we no it can't happen unless we give him a shot in a real game. Number 7 isn't doing the job so what's the harm

KCraised
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
So its official now?

rodu
09-30-2012, 04:49 PM
SO why did Quinn fail as a pro QB? Was it that everything going through Cleveland fails, or what? Time for Cassel to get lost, maybe Quinn will not suck as bad

iratefan
09-30-2012, 07:46 PM
matt cassel doesnt need to be fired. well perhaps he does, but not for the reasons i think most people feel.

matt cassel needs SERIOUS DEVELOPMENT! the kid has some talent, but his pass accuracy and timing is awful! these things could BE FIXED.

things that are harder to fix are knowing how to handle pressure. cassel has a problem with that, but he seems to be getting used to having his life threatened on nearly every play.

In a vacuum, yeah this all looks like its cassels fault. But who's the guy responsible for teaching this guy!?!? wheres the flippin coaching? under weis, cassel was making strides stepping back 3 steps and firing quick and firing fast. and he was a much more accurate, more effective quarterback for it.

So whos in the trenches working with him on improving this ongoing problem that is not getting any better!? If that guys not doing the job, whos responsible for getting someone in there who will!?

This is an utter coaching failure from top to bottom.

This team, cassel included, has talent (a lot of it). but its so unprepared during gametime that its literally an embarrassment to the game.

i want to see coaches proverbial head rolls.

#58ChiefsFan
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Jim Zorn is "that" guy.

2010chiefs
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
are you kidding me. Theyve brought in 5 offensive coordinators to work with him and he still sucks. Hes had 5 years to improve and he still sucks. Get outta here. You thinks its the coaches fault he sucks. Its there fault hes on this team still.

Hayvern
09-30-2012, 08:28 PM
matt cassel doesnt need to be fired. well perhaps he does, but not for the reasons i think most people feel.

matt cassel needs SERIOUS DEVELOPMENT! the kid has some talent, but his pass accuracy and timing is awful! these things could BE FIXED.

things that are harder to fix are knowing how to handle pressure. cassel has a problem with that, but he seems to be getting used to having his life threatened on nearly every play.

In a vacuum, yeah this all looks like its cassels fault. But who's the guy responsible for teaching this guy!?!? wheres the flippin coaching? under weis, cassel was making strides stepping back 3 steps and firing quick and firing fast. and he was a much more accurate, more effective quarterback for it.

So whos in the trenches working with him on improving this ongoing problem that is not getting any better!? If that guys not doing the job, whos responsible for getting someone in there who will!?

This is an utter coaching failure from top to bottom.

This team, cassel included, has talent (a lot of it). but its so unprepared during gametime that its literally an embarrassment to the game.

i want to see coaches proverbial head rolls.

I am not sure all of this can be laid at the feet of the coaches. Cassel has been tough, he has been asked to do a lot and he has really tried his best. It is unfortunate, but his best is just not enough. I really wanted it to be different, I really did, but I have not seen any improvement for this kid since he came through the doors.

There are two opposing arguments on this:

1. The coaches he has have not trained him to get better.
2. He has had new coaches and new schemes almost every year since he has been here.

Honestly, we have seen both issues and neither of them have helped. We have hired and fired coaches over how well this team has played. Cassel has never been that guy that can take the game, place it on his shoulders and carry it home, he has always needed others for that. He is not a good quarterback, but he is the best we have.

So we are stuck now. Honestly, I think the problem with Cassel has been that he has played behind a horrible offensive line for so long that he hears and feels a pass rush even when there isn't one. I think teams have figured out that if they rattle his carge early, that he will give up. It certainly seems the case now.

iratefan
09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
im no cassel defender, honestly. ive never been a big fan. but he was rather successful under ONE of the past 5 offensive coords. but hes playing this season with absolutely no control over the game. no timing on the routes. every throw he makes he sits and holds and waits for some deep ball to materialize that usually never does. when he does he overthrows. when he completes theres a holding penalty.

This is very different than how he was playing back in, say 2010. his passes were quicker. his tempo was good. he got the ball out (usually) quick enough to avoid a lot of heat coming at him. he wasnt perfect then yeah. but the dude CAN win, he just needs to be heavily groomed. hes not a mature, head strong star quarterback like a peyton manning, for instance, he needs some serious discipline and guidance. consistent as well. you cant say that after 4 years and 5 different coaches he doesnt feel like hes basically 'on his own'.

LlamaNinja
09-30-2012, 10:55 PM
im no cassel defender, honestly. ive never been a big fan. but he was rather successful under ONE of the past 5 offensive coords. but hes playing this season with absolutely no control over the game. no timing on the routes. every throw he makes he sits and holds and waits for some deep ball to materialize that usually never does. when he does he overthrows. when he completes theres a holding penalty.

This is very different than how he was playing back in, say 2010. his passes were quicker. his tempo was good. he got the ball out (usually) quick enough to avoid a lot of heat coming at him. he wasnt perfect then yeah. but the dude CAN win, he just needs to be heavily groomed. hes not a mature, head strong star quarterback like a peyton manning, for instance, he needs some serious discipline and guidance. consistent as well. you cant say that after 4 years and 5 different coaches he doesnt feel like hes basically 'on his own'.
He also had an easy schedule (http://www.kcchiefs.com/schedule-and-events/season-schedule.html)(look up 2010) that season ANY hard team or winning team normally beat him that year.