PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock keeps it real

IslandKing77
10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Whitlock's take on the events from Fox Sports.

-----------------------------------------

You gotta be f---ing kidding me.

In a society that increasingly supports caged human ****fighting — aka MMA — has a proud history with boxing, cheers lustily whenever fights break out inside a hockey rink and builds Roman Empire-stylized coliseums for football games, a 320-pound, sweet-talking lineman has somehow convinced a segment of America that Chiefs fans are the sick and disgusting bad guys.
You gotta be f---ing kidding me.

You damn straight a small percentage of Chiefs fans cheered loudly when two overgrown Ravens knocked Matt Cassel smooth the hell out. Did we not cheer when Mike Tyson curb-stomped Michael Spinks? Google the knockout work that made Anderson Silva the MMA’s most beloved star and tell me if you hear respectful silence or wild, joyful hysteria?

We love violence and Eric Winston’s hypocritical *** is wealthy because he’s relatively adept at inflicting it. The only thing all that unusual about the smattering of cheers that greeted Cassel’s glazed-eyed trip to the turf is that his hometown fans gave life to the noise. And for that, you can blame Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, his boss, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, and the escalating cost of being a sports fan in the era of shopping mall-amusement park stadiums.

Sickening? A smattering of cheers for an injured $66 million quarterback with a rating of 66.2 and a league-leading 14 turnovers?

No. No. What’s sickening is how easily Winston, Kansas City’s right tackle, deflected the national media from the real story. One of the most passionate fan bases in sports — Kansas City Chiefs fans — has been abused so thoroughly the last eight to 10 years that it is turning unruly. What happened Sunday inside Arrowhead Stadium is a result of the Hunt family’s neglect of their fan base. This has been brewing since 1998, since Marty Schottenheimer courageously and justifiably realized he should move on after 10 years in Kansas City. From 1989 to 1998, Schottenheimer and his front-office partner Carl Peterson transformed Arrowhead Stadium from an empty parking lot into one of the coolest, most electric places on earth eight fall Sundays a year. Football Sundays in Kansas City became mini-holidays. The whole town wore red starting on Fridays. Tailgating at Arrowhead Stadium before games was Kansas City’s No. 1 social activity.

I’ve watched NFL games at every venue. Nothing compared to Arrowhead Stadium during the Schottenheimer era. Nothing. The Chiefs never advanced to the Super Bowl, but Kansas City was the NFL’s ground zero. The players, coaches and executives were treated like royalty.

The players, coaches, executives and ownership got spoiled. They didn’t have to win it all to be treated as if they had. The Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game since 1993. That’s right. The Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game in two decades. But the stadium was filled, the parking lot packed and Chiefs jerseys hung in seemingly every Kansas City closet so Lamar Hunt, Kansas City’s Dallas-based owner, allowed Carl Peterson to hang around 10 years after Schottenheimer left, a good five years after it was painfully obvious Peterson’s previous success was a result of Schottenheimer’s brilliance. Most Chiefs fans concluded Hunt would’ve never allowed Peterson to linger for a decade if Hunt lived in Kansas City and felt the pain of each disappointing season as personally as Kansas City residents. Kansas Citians attached their identity to their professional football team. Joe Montana, Marcus Allen and Derrick Thomas made the typical, insecure Kansas Citian feel big time.
The stench of Peterson’s last 10 years and Lamar Hunt’s loyalty to Peterson are fueling Chiefs fans lack of patience with their successors, Scott Pioli and Clark Hunt. The situation is further exacerbated by KC’s newly renovated stadium and the elevated cost associated with it. Chiefs fans are paying $27 to park, $200 for a club-level seat, $10 for beer and are watching teams with no reasonable shot at postseason success.
For the most part in today’s NFL, no quarterback equals no shot.

Lamar Hunt and Carl Peterson could never pick a quarterback. In 20 years, they never drafted one in the first round. They preferred to sign someone else’s veteran. Given a choice in the 1990s between benching an aloof, inconsistent and expensive Elvis Grbac and going with locker-room/fan favorite Rich Gannon, Hunt and Peterson let Gannon escape to Oakland, where he won a league MVP award, made four Pro Bowls and one Super Bowl appearance. Grbac eventually bounced to Baltimore and quit football. No one, besides Trent Dilfer, remembers Elvis Grbac.

Scott Pioli’s first major personnel decision in Kansas City was giving Matt Cassel a franchise-quarterback contract despite his highly suspicious resume. Cassel never played at USC. He played one season at New England. Cassel is Pioli’s original sin, the mistake that has haunted his four years in Kansas City. Pioli, the Bill Belichick disciple, saw in Cassel the second coming of Tom Brady. Pioli arrogantly and foolishly thought he’d discovered Brady in a bottle twice. Ha.

This year Cassel has been the worst starting quarterback in football. He’s a turnover machine. He clearly lacks confidence. His arm strength is atrocious. His ball floats up before it moves ahead. He needs to be benched. Pioli won’t allow it.

Before Sunday’s game, a group of working-class Chiefs fans pooled their money to fly a banner over Arrowhead Stadium demanding that Hunt fire Pioli and bench Cassel. These people love their football team. Clark Hunt lives in Dallas. The fans are spending their money to get the attention of their absentee owner. They’re afraid that Pioli-Hunt is going to be a replica of Peterson-Hunt. Their fears are justified. Pioli is a poor man’s Peterson. Pioli is an embarrassingly insecure version of Peterson, a man with a bloated ego. Pioli masks his insecurity with a false bravado, a dictator’s management approach and a constant desire to manipulate the media into believing he was the brains behind the Patriots dynasty.

Chiefs fans aren’t having it. They want a real quarterback. They want the Cassel charade to end. Pioli’s stubbornness forced a handful of Chiefs fans to spontaneously thank the Ravens for momentarily ending their Matt Cassel nightmare. I think America will survive.
It’s easy for the national media to sit on their couches, inside their television studios or on their free, comfy press-box seats and preach polite decency to the working-class folks paying to watch their hijacked football team.

I won’t do it. I was inside Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday as a Chiefs fan. I’m not the type to boo or cheer. But I want Pioli fired. Eric Winston, too.

#58ChiefsFan
10-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I agree with that.

Hayvern
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Fatlock is at it again, I thought he was run out of town a couple of years ago.

70 chiefsfan70
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
There's a ton of trueth to this. I am not one to cheer that Cassel got hurt, however I was one to cheer that we got Quin in there. Not once did I feel good about Cassels injury. But we have seen way too much of Cassel under center.

I wish Cassel quick and complete recovery, but I don't ever want to see him play QB in a Chiefs uniform.

Matt Cassel in a great guy. My prayers go out to him and his family.

KCraised
10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I totally forgot about Whitlock. But he is more qualified to comment on Chiefs business than any other of these media types that are soaking this story for what its worth. He lived closer to te epicenter of this debacle than we did.
You know, Matt Cassel had a bell rung. It happens every weekend in the NFL. He will be fine. He doesnt have terminal cancer.
Preach, Jason!

ctchiefsfan
10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
If a member of the media says it was OK....then it WASN'T.

Sure....We are frustrated. And yeah....we DESERVE a competitive team.....

But nothing justifies it if Chiefs fans start behaving like Raiders fans.

I wasn't there, and the only video I have seen suggests the crowd was cheering because Cassel was on his feet and Quinn was coming in, but cheering because Cassel was injured would be beneath the dignity of any Chiefs fan. As much as you and I want him out of the game, cheering because he was injured would just not be right and no excuses that Whitlock makes up make it right.

2010chiefs
10-08-2012, 09:12 PM
I applaud this post!

KCraised
10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
By the sound of it, we ARE worse than Raiders fans;)
I dont agree with having a good time at Cassels injury. He seems like a real good dude and he has had to feel the wrath. I heard from a friend that watched the game on TV, that his wife even helps him with quiz cards. That actually made me feel pretty bummed. Trying so hard to make it work and alot of us (me, included) want him gone....and you could see the World turned upsude down on him. I want a different qb but im not revelling in his misfortune and definitely not his injury. But im sure he will
Be just fine. He walked off and that is a great thing. But ALOT of what Jason says is true. We are a society that relishes the knockout. The only reason these guys dont do more knocking out, is because of rules. So to play a barbaric sport and try to act civilized, really sets funny with me. And I think Jason addresses that part very accurately.

KCraised
10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Someone had told me that on the telecast, that his wife would help quiz him with que' cards. That actually
Made me feel bad for riding his a** in threads. Guy obviously tried hard but if you don't have what it takes, things need to move on. Hey, he's filthy rich and will survive this. But im sure the ride has been Hell for him.

Chiefster
10-08-2012, 09:26 PM

Yeah, he's drinking his own KC Masterpiece bath BBQ sauce again.

2010chiefs
10-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Cassel can still have a great lavish life as a back up QB somewhere else. He's hit the lotto five years in a row with his contact. I don't feel bad for him.

matthewschiefs
10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Whitlock may not be 100% wrong but the guy thinks Herm Edwards is a good coach. I rest my case I don't really take anything he says to be the truth

ctchiefsfan
10-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Someone had told me that on the telecast, that his wife would help quiz him with que' cards. That actually
Made me feel bad for riding his a** in threads. Guy obviously tried hard but if you don't have what it takes, things need to move on. Hey, he's filthy rich and will survive this. But im sure the ride has been Hell for him.

I hear you....both in this post and the previous one.

No doubt in my mind that Cassel WANTED to be a HUGE success in KC. And no doubt he tried damned hard to be a big success in KC. He moved here. He got involved with the local community. During the strike he reached out to other players in an attempt to be a leader. Matt Cassel is a damned good guy.

People have been calling for his head for a long time. Others (myself included) have stuck by him.

He tried his absolute best but it just didn't work out.

His fault? Management fault? Coaching fault?

I dunno.

What I do know is that it is over for Cassel as a Chief.

It's like when your girlfriend says "Sweetie...I love you BUT...."

Simply put, it is over.

Hopefully the Chiefs and Cassel can part ways on a friendly basis and Matt can find another team willing to give him a chance. Maybe he can be a success somewhere else. But the Matt Cassel as a Chief train has gone off the tracks and it is time to close that book.

Good luck Matt. I for one honestly wish you well....somewhere else.

KCraised
10-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I hear you....both in this post and the previous one.

No doubt in my mind that Cassel WANTED to be a HUGE success in KC. And no doubt he tried damned hard to be a big success in KC. He moved here. He got involved with the local community. During the strike he reached out to other players in an attempt to be a leader. Matt Cassel is a damned good guy.

People have been calling for his head for a long time. Others (myself included) have stuck by him.

He tried his absolute best but it just didn't work out.

His fault? Management fault? Coaching fault?

I dunno.

What I do know is that it is over for Cassel as a Chief.

It's like when your girlfriend says "Sweetie...I love you BUT...."

Simply put, it is over.

Hopefully the Chiefs and Cassel can part ways on a friendly basis and Matt can find another team willing to give him a chance. Maybe he can be a success somewhere else. But the Matt Cassel as a Chief train has gone off the tracks and it is time to close that book.

Good luck Matt. I for one honestly wish you well....somewhere else.

Yeah, i have been talking trash about him for a couple years now. Hey, i saw it, he is not that good. But seeing how timid he was Sunday, on his throws...it looked like he was so worried his pass would be bad and then it would be...and the team making him handoff 50 unbelievable times, had to be absolutely humiliating. And then to top it off, having to leave the field like that, was tough. I would have to say, that HAD to be one of his worst days ever in his life. I look at it this way. The coaches let him play and upper managemet let him play...so, he played. What is he gonna do? Go sit down on the bench? No, he played and did what he could like he was supposed to. But he wasnt any good at it.
I hope the guy lands on his feet, his bank account sure will. I remember I was sitting in Gates when I read we picked him and Vrabel for a 2nd round. I said niceeee. But it didnt work out and he needs to move on to another city. He is done here. And good luck to him.

#58ChiefsFan
10-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Ill respectfully disagree that Cassels time in KC is over. He's most likely out this week and then we have our bye week.

Be careful what you (and I) wish for, Quinn isn't the greatest QB. We are so desperate for anything that gets this team going that we are putting players like Orton and Quinn on a level they have never earned the right to be on.

As bad as it is I still believe Cassel gives us a better chance to win, and that's not a fun place to be.

If this turns into Gannon/Grbac 2 imma loose my frickin mind.

ctchiefsfan
10-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Yeah, i have been talking trash about him for a couple years now. Hey, i saw it, he is not that good. But seeing how timid he was Sunday, on his throws...it looked like he was so worried his pass would be bad and then it would be...and the team making him handoff 50 unbelievable times, had to be absolutely humiliating. And then to top it off, having to leave the field like that, was tough. I would have to say, that HAD to be one of his worst days ever in his life. I look at it this way. The coaches let him play and upper managemet let him play...so, he played. What is he gonna do? Go sit down on the bench? No, he played and did what he could like he was supposed to. But he wasnt any good at it.
I hope the guy lands on his feet, his bank account sure will. I remember I was sitting in Gates when I read we picked him and Vrabel for a 2nd round. I said niceeee. But it didnt work out and he needs to move on to another city. He is done here. And good luck to him.

Exactly.

He wanted to succeed.

You wanted him to succeed.

I wanted him to succeed.

Most Chiefs fans wanted him to succeed.

Whether the failure is his fault....all the coaching changes or whatever doesn't matter any more.

It was a good ride for his bank account and I am SURE a tough ride for his ego.

But like that REALLY HOT girl 16 years my junior I was seeing a few years ago....it's over now and we all need to move on.

Matt to whoever will hire him.

And us to "Who the hell do we get that can get us a shot at the Superbowl!!!!!"

:chiefs::chiefs::chiefs:

ctchiefsfan
10-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Ill respectfully disagree that Cassels time in KC is over. He's most likely out this week and then we have our bye week.

Be careful what you (and I) wish for, Quinn isn't the greatest QB. We are so desperate for anything that gets this team going that we are putting players like Orton and Quinn on a level they have never earned the right to be on.

As bad as it is I still believe Cassel gives us a better chance to win, and that's not a fun place to be.

I hope you are wrong about Cassel coming back after the bye week. That would be horrible.

I agree that Quinn and Stanzi are PROBABLY not the answer, but Cassel is CERTAINLY not the answer. At this point the only team Cassel can beat on a regular basis is the Chiefs.

Quinn has more experience. Let him play the 6th and 7th game. If he flops then let Stanzi play games 8-16.

Barring a miracle our season is over. Let's use the remaining 11 games to see if we have a decent quarterback on the roster. If we don't, then we know damned well what position we should pick with our first pick in the draft.

#58ChiefsFan
10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Quinn has more experience. Let him play the 6th and 7th game. If he flops then let Stanzi play games 8-16.

Barring a miracle our season is over. Let's use the remaining 11 games to see if we have a decent quarterback on the roster. If we don't, then we know damned well what position we should pick with our first pick in the draft.

I agree with your line of reasoning

But

Everyone has said this team needs a spark to get going and gain confidence on the offensive side of the ball. Right or wrong it looks like the team has rallied around this injury to our starting QB. The more outspoken players have thrown the fan base under the bus, they have another common goal in Matt. I would look for them to come out against the Raiders, at home, with Matt and finally put an offensive game together.

ctchiefsfan
10-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I agree with your line of reasoning

But

Everyone has said this team needs a spark to get going and gain confidence on the offensive side of the ball. Right or wrong it looks like the team has rallied around this injury to our starting QB. The more outspoken players have thrown the fan base under the bus, they have another common goal in Matt. I would look for them to come out against the Raiders, at home, with Matt and finally put an offensive game together.

I can't argue against your idea here because it deals with the team's "emotion" and emotion is impervious to logic. You are certainly right that if the whole cheering/booing/injury thing really fired the team up to shove it in the fan's face then we could run the table from here out. Stranger things have happened though I can't think of one right now.

But since you are being reasonable (which is a bit uncommon around here these days) IF Cassel does start again.....at what point do you accept that the season is shot and that it is time to give Quinn and Stanzi their shots and start thinking about next year's draft?

I am not being argumentative, but I have moved on from Cassel, accepted in my heart that this season is going to be a bust and am thinking about what we can do to bring our beloved Chiefs the success they and we deserve.

Since you don't seem to be at that point, in your opinion, when is it time for us as fans to give up on Cassel?

If we stick with Cassel and go 4-12, 6-10, 7-9 without giving Quinn and Stanzi a thorough tryout then I think this season will have been a HUGE WASTE.

I'd rather go 2-14 and give both Quinn and Stanzi both a chance to show what they are made of than go 7-9 with Cassel and get no real look at Quinn and Stanzi.

Your thoughts please.

IslandKing77
10-09-2012, 01:44 AM
To salvage any part of this season we have to find the real answer to our QB question. Sure if this was a Disney movie something special might happen where Cassel comes back from his injury, we win the superbowl and then he rides Sea Biscuit in the parade.

However, in the real world it would be better off for us to find out what we actually have on the roster. Give Quinn the time to show if he has taken a personal interest in becoming a better player these last two years. I'd say give him more than 2 games to demonstrate this. If he isn't then give the Stanzi the chance.

If none of the QBs on the roster are worthwhile, best to know now and then address it with the high round draft pick we will surely have.

Also, once it becomes mathematically impossible to have any type of ramifications for the playoffs even in the terrible AFC West, they should start resting players and curb their playing time. (Charles, Flowers, Johnson) If this is a throw away season then save the players we need.

AussieChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Rep!

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 02:10 AM
I can't argue against your idea here because it deals with the team's "emotion" and emotion is impervious to logic. You are certainly right that if the whole cheering/booing/injury thing really fired the team up to shove it in the fan's face then we could run the table from here out. Stranger things have happened though I can't think of one right now.

But since you are being reasonable (which is a bit uncommon around here these days) IF Cassel does start again.....at what point do you accept that the season is shot and that it is time to give Quinn and Stanzi their shots and start thinking about next year's draft?

I am not being argumentative, but I have moved on from Cassel, accepted in my heart that this season is going to be a bust and am thinking about what we can do to bring our beloved Chiefs the success they and we deserve.

Since you don't seem to be at that point, in your opinion, when is it time for us as fans to give up on Cassel?

If we stick with Cassel and go 4-12, 6-10, 7-9 without giving Quinn and Stanzi a thorough tryout then I think this season will have been a HUGE WASTE.

I'd rather go 2-14 and give both Quinn and Stanzi both a chance to show what they are made of than go 7-9 with Cassel and get no real look at Quinn and Stanzi.

Your thoughts please.

I'm all for what you originally described with the exception of playing Quinn until we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. Once that happens its time to see what Stanzi has and hope he is a viable back-up to an all out effort to draft a true qbotf.

It bothers me to move on from Cassel because I really wanted to see the kid succeed. As the games go by there is little reason to believe he can, and I can accept that.

I'm just going from what I believe the powers that be will do with Matt assuming he is medically cleared to play again. I truly believe he is still the leader of the locker room despite the win loss record and that the team will do anything they can to execute more efficiently when he returns. Especially his lineman who basically got him injured through missed tackles.

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 02:22 AM
To salvage any part of this season we have to find the real answer to our QB question. Sure if this was a Disney movie something special might happen where Cassel comes back from his injury, we win the superbowl and then he rides Sea Biscuit in the parade.

However, in the real world it would be better off for us to find out what we actually have on the roster. Give Quinn the time to show if he has taken a personal interest in becoming a better player these last two years. I'd say give him more than 2 games to demonstrate this. If he isn't then give the Stanzi the chance.

If none of the QBs on the roster are worthwhile, best to know now and then address it with the high round draft pick we will surely have.

Also, once it becomes mathematically impossible to have any type of ramifications for the playoffs even in the terrible AFC West, they should start resting players and curb their playing time. (Charles, Flowers, Johnson) If this is a throw away season then save the players we need.

The thing that most concerns me in this whole mess is the overuse of Charles. It's a damn shame the coaching staff, with all the individual talent on this roster, can't put a better game plan together.

I fully agree with this post.

ctchiefsfan
10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Agreed. My mentioning of the whole storybook ending thing was meant rather tongue-in-cheek....although it could happen....and I could win the Powerball for a hundred million. Matter of fact I think I am far more likely to win the Powerball than Cassel is to bring us to the Superbowl this year.

I really hope management does not go back to Cassel once he is healthy. If they do I think the fans will go wild with hatred and blood lust and Cassel does not need the abuse he would take.

Seek
10-09-2012, 12:40 PM

He basically was run out of town. He was almost hated more than Cassel and I just about came in here and said you lost me at Jason Twitlock, but this has to be one of the best articles he has ever written.

brdempsey69
10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I really hope management does not go back to Cassel once he is healthy. If they do I think the fans will go wild with hatred and blood lust and Cassel does not need the abuse he would take.

That's my biggest fear, as well. One can easily blame the Chiefs brass --- especially Pioli --- for letting things come to this regarding Cassel.

If Pioli were any good man, he'd have told Crennel prior to their game with Baltimore, that if Cassel was struggling, that Crennel was free to make the change at QB. That change should have came after that fumble at the goal line. Everybody and their brother could see that a change at QB was needed to at least TRY to get a spark going on Offense.

But, of course, Cassel was left in the game because Pioli has handcuffed his HC in a futile attempt to justify his decision to trade for Cassel & sign him to a big contract & Pioli can't admit it was a mistake.

BTW, has anyone noticed that Pioli has been mysteriously absent at the Chiefs home games & is no where to be seen recently?

I agree with Whitlock -- FIRE Pioli. All he's done is turn the Chiefs into a political organization more so than a football team.

Sorry, but I must differ with you. Cassel does NOT give them the best chance to win. That's already been proven on the field thus far in 2012. The team just does not believe in Cassel.

I'm not saying Quinn will be any better. But, there's nothing to lose, so why not give him a chance? He simply cannot do any worse.

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree with starting him but I have less confidence that he will be more efficient, although efficient isn't the right word. Sounds like we will find out Sunday.

ctchiefsfan
10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Cassel was left in the game because Pioli has handcuffed his HC in a futile attempt to justify his decision to trade for Cassel & sign him to a big contract & Pioli can't admit it was a mistake.

I've read many statements to this effect and it does seem likely, but do we actually KNOW that this is true? Charging Pioli with sacrificing the best interests of the team to his own ego is a big charge to make and IMO not one that should be made lightly. Is there any actual evidence for this???

Sorry, but I must differ with you. Cassel does NOT give them the best chance to win. That's already been proven on the field thus far in 2012. The team just does not believe in Cassel.

I'm not saying Quinn will be any better. But, there's nothing to lose, so why not give him a chance? He simply cannot do any worse.

Just for a moment, let's say that Cassel does give us the best chance of winning any given game. WHO CARES???!!!

What does he give us a chance of winning?

In my mind all he has a chance of winning for us is a chance at parity and mediocrity.

Does anybody really think he gives us any chance of winning a playoff game more to the point a Superbowl?

I think not.

So the "winning" Cassel offers us is a chance at 7-9 or maybe 8-8 or at best 9-7 with no likely playoff spot and a first round exit should we happen to sneak into the playoffs.

I don't think Hunt, Pioli or Crennel consider that to be "winning" and I'm damned sure the fans don't think so.

Actually winning means we are a serious playoff contender and have a real shot at going somewhere once we make the playoffs. And Cassel isn't going to do that.

So it is time to say goodbye to Cassel and give Quinn and/or Stanzi a chance to show us if they can lead a winning team. If they can't, then it's time to look in the draft or Free Agency.

I'd rather go 2-14 this year and find out once and for all that all our quarterbacks are busts than to continue to limp along at 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 and being deluded into thinking that maybe, just maybe we have a "good enough" quarterback.

"Good Enough" isn't good enough any more. I want us to START WINNING or at least trying to. And we're not going to with Cassel.

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
You, me and a large portion of the fanbase would rather tank this season and move on but there is absolutely no chance the front office will do that. Until we are eliminated from a playoff spot it's hard to argue that logic. We are going to have to accept they will try to win as many games as they can.

ctchiefsfan
10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I honestly hope you are wrong. I am so sick of playing in an attempt to achieve mediocrity. I'd rather tank this season and 3 more while looking for a real quarterback than spending the next 3 1/2 years limping along and hoping for 8-8.

Bortnem
10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
My question is why is KC in the hot seat when some fans possibly cheered (I believe we were cheering for Quinn entering the game) for our horrible QB to be knocked out of the game, when Jaguar fans killed a Bears fan? I have heard very little if anything about this on ESPN or from anyone else.

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 03:08 PM
My question is why is KC in the hot seat when some fans possibly cheered (I believe we were cheering for Quinn entering the game) for our horrible QB to be knocked out of the game, when Jaguar fans killed a Bears fan? I have heard very little if anything about this on ESPN or from anyone else.

Pretty sad isn't it.

Seems they don't want to cause a panic of safety at their games when they can make a story bigger than it is as damage control.

Bortnem
10-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Pretty sad isn't it.

Seems they don't want to cause a panic of safety at their games when they can make a story bigger than it is as damage control.

Completely agree

IslandKing77
10-09-2012, 03:34 PM

That kinda thing doesn't sicken Eric Winston.

Bortnem
10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
That kinda thing doesn't sicken Eric Winston.

Haha. Yeah maybe the media should ask Winston what he thinks about that issue

KCraised
10-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Please DON'T

IslandKing77
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM

It would depend, did anyone anywhere make any kind of cheering noise afterwards.

Canada
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
My question is why is KC in the hot seat when some fans possibly cheered (I believe we were cheering for Quinn entering the game) for our horrible QB to be knocked out of the game, when Jaguar fans killed a Bears fan? I have heard very little if anything about this on ESPN or from anyone else.Why are KC fans on the hotseat? Booing players at charity events, flying banners over the stadium, leaving games in the 3rd quarter, booing players at home. Should they be talking about what great fans KC has?

That kinda thing doesn't sicken Eric Winston.At least someone is defending this team.

IslandKing77
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Why are KC fans on the hotseat? Booing players at charity events, flying banners over the stadium, leaving games in the 3rd quarter, booing players at home. Should they be talking about what great fans KC has?

At least someone is defending this team.

If he defended the QB on the field half as hard we wouldn't be having this conversation.

brdempsey69
10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I've read many statements to this effect and it does seem likely, but do we actually KNOW that this is true? Charging Pioli with sacrificing the best interests of the team to his own ego is a big charge to make and IMO not one that should be made lightly. Is there any actual evidence for this???

Any other team would have pulled Cassel out of the game last Sunday with the way he has been struggling thus far this season -- especially after that fumble at the goal line. It's simply exercising the better part of valor.

There's just no way that Pioli and Crennel can not see that a change might be needed & Quinn should have gotten some reps with the 1st team during practice going into last Sunday, but it was documented at kansascity.com that he didn't. Why? Are they afraid to send a message to Cassel "hey, get your act together or else"? Can't they see that Cassel has gotten progressively worse each week & that the other players on the team don't believe in him?

My point is, Pioli said there would be QB competition, and yet, we still are seeing no such thing. Even though the situation has demanded it after 4 games into the season and Cassel clearly being the worst starting QB in the NFL. The simple fact that Quinn hasn't been allowed to relieve Cassel and get playing time in any of the games this year, except for last Sunday when Cassel got hurt is proof enough for me.

I'll bet the farm that if Cassel had not got hurt, he'd still be the starter next Sunday, in spite of losing to the Ravens. You saw for yourself that Quinn nearly pulled out a victory. It never should have came down to Cassel getting hurt for Quinn to be in there. Everybody and their brother could see that it was time to make a change after that fumble at the goal line.

Just for a moment, let's say that Cassel does give us the best chance of winning any given game. WHO CARES???!!!

What does he give us a chance of winning?

In my mind all he has a chance of winning for us is a chance at parity and mediocrity.

Does anybody really think he gives us any chance of winning a playoff game more to the point a Superbowl?

I think not.

So the "winning" Cassel offers us is a chance at 7-9 or maybe 8-8 or at best 9-7 with no likely playoff spot and a first round exit should we happen to sneak into the playoffs.

I don't think Hunt, Pioli or Crennel consider that to be "winning" and I'm damned sure the fans don't think so.

Actually winning means we are a serious playoff contender and have a real shot at going somewhere once we make the playoffs. And Cassel isn't going to do that.

So it is time to say goodbye to Cassel and give Quinn and/or Stanzi a chance to show us if they can lead a winning team. If they can't, then it's time to look in the draft or Free Agency.

I'd rather go 2-14 this year and find out once and for all that all our quarterbacks are busts than to continue to limp along at 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 and being deluded into thinking that maybe, just maybe we have a "good enough" quarterback.

"Good Enough" isn't good enough any more. I want us to START WINNING or at least trying to. And we're not going to with Cassel.

I agree. The franchise QB must be found somewhere this coming off-season. Cassel isn't the guy to make them a post-season contender.

And Pioli has turned the Chiefs into a political zoo more so than a football team. He needs to go. He has no credentials to be a GM other than he married Bill Parcells daughter.

OPLookn
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Eric Winston is not pleased by this message of hate. In fact it disgusts him.

#58ChiefsFan
10-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Eric Winston is not pleased by this message of hate. In fact it disgusts him.

If you're on twitter there is a parody account of Mr Winston that has sayings similar to that, it's a bit of comic relief as we enjoy rock bottom.

Isawa_mo
10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Why are KC fans on the hotseat? Booing players at charity events, flying banners over the stadium, leaving games in the 3rd quarter, booing players at home. Should they be talking about what great fans KC has?

At least someone is defending this team.

I would remind. Fans only have so many ways to express their displeasure with the direction of the team. I personally only find fault with the booing at a charity event or at players' homes (first I have heard of either occurrence). Heck, I do not even see the booing at the stadium as booing at the players. People are booing at the owner, coach and GM. Just like I understand, that even those that were cheering during the Cassel injury were actually cheering for the outcome, not reveling in the individual's injury. That reaction was created by the Owner, GM and HC.

The one thing I do know is the places that have fans who do not put up with mediocrity (not that there has even been that for the last ten years with the Chiefs) tend to see positive change. That is, they make their voices heard and it does make a difference.

I would also point out, none of the things described is near as bad as fans from one team killing a fan of another team.

McLovin
10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I have seen a lot about a fan killing another team fan. And the reason that this isn't as big a story on ESPN is because this was a jealous husband killing another man who happened to a fan of the opposing team vacationing in town coming to see the game. If this would have happened at the stadium or even if there would have been a fight over the teams I could see this .. this one was a man got jealous over his wife talking to another man and without saying a word pulls a knife and kills the other man then walks off.

This has nothing to do with the team ... If I am wrong someone please correct me.

IslandKing77
10-09-2012, 06:54 PM
This has nothing to do with the team ... If I am wrong someone please correct me.

You're 100% correct. I actually took the time to read the article about it today. News sites always try to sensationalize the story. The killing was not relevant in anyway to the Jags or Bears and didn't really belong in the story.

Bike
10-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I am thinking that no matter if Quinn or Stanzi pan out or not - it's time to draft our own franchise quarterback.

Bortnem
10-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I would remind. Fans only have so many ways to express their displeasure with the direction of the team. I personally only find fault with the booing at a charity event or at players' homes (first I have heard of either occurrence). Heck, I do not even see the booing at the stadium as booing at the players. People are booing at the owner, coach and GM. Just like I understand, that even those that were cheering during the Cassel injury were actually cheering for the outcome, not reveling in the individual's injury. That reaction was created by the Owner, GM and HC.

The one thing I do know is the places that have fans who do not put up with mediocrity (not that there has even been that for the last ten years with the Chiefs) tend to see positive change. That is, they make their voices heard and it does make a difference.

I would also point out, none of the things described is near as bad as fans from one team killing a fan of another team.

Well Said!:sign0087:

OPLookn
10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
If you're on twitter there is a parody account of Mr Winston that has sayings similar to that, it's a bit of comic relief as we enjoy rock bottom.

I am on twitter, but I'm an extremely new user. I think I was the last one to sign up actually. How do I find this parody?

#58ChiefsFan
10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I am on twitter, but I'm an extremely new user. I think I was the last one to sign up actually. How do I find this parody?

Under the discover tab type in @notericwinston and choose people instead of tweets.

Canada
10-10-2012, 02:18 PM

I would also point out, none of the things described is near as bad as fans from one team killing a fan of another team.I understand that this is the only way of voicing displeasure, but the consequences of voicing that displeasure is negative media attention for every little thing.

Canada
10-10-2012, 02:19 PM
If he defended the QB on the field half as hard we wouldn't be having this conversation.Really, cause last I checked our oline was ranked #4 in run blocking and #5 in pass blocking. But hey, the guy missed a block so he shouldnt be able to defend a team mate. Makes sense...I guess

ctchiefsfan
10-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Really, cause last I checked our oline was ranked #4 in run blocking and #5 in pass blocking. But hey, the guy missed a block so he shouldnt be able to defend a team mate. Makes sense...I guess

Nicely said!!!!! About time we got a little reality around here! Yeah we are all pished off with how things are going, but the "Chicken-Little the sky is falling" crap is getting way out of hand.

A lot of the people around here seem to think that Pioli is a worse threat to mankind than Al-Quaida.

Real Chiefs fans have lived through worse than this without acting like a bunch of Raiders fans. We are going to get through this and be a great team again. And we are not that far from it.

Blowing the team up and starting YET AGAIN is NOT the answer.