PDA

View Full Version : Hunt reportedly meets with Schttenheimer

AussieChiefsFan
11-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Chiefs owner Clark Hunt reportedly met with Marty Schottenheimer

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -Chiefs fans are excitedly buzzing about whether team owner Clark Hunt is preparing to offer former coach Marty Schottenheimer the general manager position or get his help on reversing the team's declining fortunes.
SiriusXM NFL Radio reported that Schottenheimer was at Arrowhead Stadium on Friday to meet with Hunt, who is in Kansas City. This set Chiefs fans on Twitter and Facebook afire.

The team flatly denies that Schottenheimer was at the practice facility today.

However, left unclear was whether Schottenheimer and Hunt met at a different location, met earlier this week or whether they have a meeting later this week.
General Manager Scott Pioli is under fire after the Chiefs 1-7 start and a disappointing four-year tenure in Kansas City after he left the New England Patriots.
Tell us what you think. Should the Chiefs bring back "Martyball" or hire Schottenheimer as a consultant? Go to KCTV5's Facebook page. (http://www.facebook.com/KCTV5)

Source (http://www.kctv5.com/story/20058706/chiefs-owner-clark-hunt-reportedly-meeting-with-marty-schottenheimer)

matthewschiefs
11-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I would be ok with this move. It can't get much worse then what we are seeing right now

lordchillz
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Brian baldinger said on kctv 5 that the meeting did take place.

Dick Richards
11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I would love to see Marty back!!!

lordchillz
11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
No matter how bad of a season we were having, he always made sure to dish a pounding to the raiders!

reded
11-09-2012, 11:40 PM
"There's a gleam men, there's a gleam."

Dick Richards
11-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Even if our defense sometimes out scored our offense, we atleast got touchdowns!

alexim58
11-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Marty Ball is back at KC .. as a GM or Consultant .. no matter .. but if this is true .. EGOli days are numbered. Just matter or weeks to hear he get kick out KC.

Last time Marty was here he brought that "IT" factor .. and well Thunders & Lighthings can hit twice ..

Dick Richards
11-10-2012, 01:07 AM
"Let's get the gleem"!

Eydugstr
11-10-2012, 04:19 AM
Please be true.....

lordchillz
11-10-2012, 06:53 PM
I must first apologize for giving out false information. According to chiefs twitter page, Marty was not in town but he has kept in contact with clark abd has been an advisor. He said he has no desire to return to coaching.

marloweopatchiefs
11-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I must first apologize for giving out false information. According to chiefs twitter page, Marty was not in town but he has kept in contact with clark abd has been an advisor. He said he has no desire to return to coaching.

And you actually think the chiefs would admit anything right now. Savethechiefs did confirm that hunt meant with marty about a possible.consultion job. I dont believe for one minute there denial rumores claiming it didnt happen. The meeting between the two did happen.

kcvet
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
GM no way. DC. I think he can still muster a killer D

Chief Tyler
11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Maybe the scheme doctor Bill Snyder will be looking for a new challenge after he brings home the national championship this year!

Dick Richards
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Marty Schottenheimer says he has no desire to coach again and that contrary to reports he was not in Kansas City on Friday.

But the most successful coach in Kansas City Chiefs history told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday that he has indeed been in constant contact with Chiefs owner Clark Hunt and within the past few days lent encouragement to embattled coach Romeo Crennel.

"I stay in touch with the Hunt family," Schottenheimer said from his home outside Charlotte, during a phone interview on Saturday. "Of late, I've called to encourage them for whatever they're doing. They've got a lot of young players. And they're working their butts off."

Schottenheimer is aware of a rumor, started by a caller on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Friday, that maintained he was at Arrowhead Stadium meeting with Hunt, who took over the Chiefs after his father and franchise founder Lamar Hunt passed away in 2006.

The Chiefs, heading into Monday night's game at the Pittsburgh Steelers with a 1-7 record, are engulfed by speculation that Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli could be fired. Hunt has not publicly addressed the issue. Pioli was unavailable when USA TODAY Sports attempted to make contact on Saturday.

Schottenheimer, 69, guided the Chiefs to seven playoff berths and three division titles during a 10-year reign from 1989-98, when he posted a 101-58-1 record.

Considering his legacy in Kansas City, Chiefs fans were buzzing with Friday's erroneous report. Schottenheimer last coached in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers in 2007. He also had head coaching stints with the Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins.

Would Schottenheimer return?

"Life is good," he said. "I just feel badly because I have great affection for the Hunt family and the Kansas City Chiefs. Those were the best 10 years of my career. But I think the world of Romeo Crennel."

Schottenheimer is not lobbying for the job, yet realizes the "hot seat" speculation in many situations across the league is intensifying.

"Scorched earth!" he said.

He compiled a 200-126-1 career regular season mark, but was undone by playoff failures. No coach who hasn't been to a Super Bowl has more career victories than Schottenheimer, who also had a 5-13 playoff record.

He wishes teams would exhibit more patience before making front office and coaching moves.

What did he tell Crennel?

" 'Hang in there, brother,' " Schottenheimer said. "I have deep affection for him and the Chiefs, so I'm disappointed. But you've got to keep going, put one foot in front of the other."

Schottenheimer says he also knows and supports Pioli, the embattled GM.

"The thing is, it's a young team," he said. "It's tough right now. I have confidence they'll get it done."

If not, Schottenheimer and Hunt will have plenty to talk about.

drstandley31
11-11-2012, 08:59 PM
No matter how bad of a season we were having, he always made sure to dish a pounding to the raiders!
Got that right! I've said that a dozen times here. Marty called it Raider Week and they were ready to walk thru walls when the game started. This current bunch doesn't even know what it means.

Dick Richards
11-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Marty says he's not interested in coaching, but thats strange because I believe he was coaching a ufl team last year. I dont know how good of a GM he wouold make, but I know he would make a great coach. Maybe this time he could win a superbowl. Bad luck kept him from getting there too many times!

Dick Richards
11-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I guess I am probably just too hopeful? It made my day to think he may be the coach again.

Lord-Chiefy
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Maybe rumour was started to see the responce of the fans?

Chiefster
11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I would welcome this move with open arms! :D

kcvet
11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I would welcome this move with open arms! :D

me to

kcvet
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
why is he available ???

Schottenheimer sues UFL founder for $2.3 million

If the UFL isn’t already dead, it soon will be.

Former Virginia Destroyers coach Marty Schottenheimer has sued the league for $2.3 million in unpaid compensation, according to CourthouseNewsService.com.

The sued, filed in San Francisco, seeks payment from UFL founder Bill Hambrecht for “coaching and managing.”

story (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/18/schottenheimer-sues-ufl-founder-for-23-million/)

MissingTBone
11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I love Marty, he was a very good coach. Not too sure about him being GM though. I just don't see him coming back to coach the Chiefs. I'd like a proven GM please. Not a product of the Patriots though. As much as I hope we get the number 1 pick, I hope we beat the Squealers tonight!!

Dick Richards
11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
[quote=kcvet;271090]why is he available ???

Schottenheimer sues UFL founder for $2.3 million

I think ufl went under?

ctchiefsfan
11-13-2012, 02:17 PM
So now we have a denial from both the Chiefs and Marty that he is interested in the coaching job, but an admission from Marty that there has been some contact. He DOES say that he has talked to SP and RC. Hard to believe that he hasn't also talked to Hunt.

Old saying...."Where there is smoke there is fire".

My take on what has happened is somewhere along these lines.....

Hunt contact Marty and says......"Marty...Its all going to hell in a handbasket. The team is a mess. The fans are in rebellion. Would you..."

Marty cuts him off and says...."Clark, you know that my fondest memories from my coaching days are of my days with the Chiefs. But look. Scott and Romeo are my friends. I've known these guys for a long time. And I am not going to cut them off at the knees and publicly humiliate them in the middle of what is already a lost season. Wouldn't do any good anyway. NOBODY can fix this season."

Marty continues...."But look Clark, I'd certainly be willing to talk about some possibilities with the Chiefs once the season is just about over. So lets talk again a week or two before the season ends. That way if we came up with something we both liked you could make an announcement immediately after the last game and we could hit the ground running for getting new coaches and the draft."

Maybe I am being an optimist, but I honestly think this is at least a loose approximation of what actually happened.

Marty is not the type of guy that wants to be seen as part of a lynch-mob that helps run SP and RC out of town on a rail in the middle of the season. Especially since it's not as if it would do a damned bit of good at this point.

But I do think Marty has let Hunt know that he is open to negotiations a little later in the season.

His calls to RC and SP were just his way of reassuring them that they were not going to be publicly beheaded at the 50 yard line at halftime during next weeks game. He's not the type of guy to participate in that sort of thing.

Just my outlook on this situation.....