PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame LB

nigeriannightmare
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Manti has moved up to number 2 on kipers board. He undoubtedly will be thrust into the top pick if he wins the Heisman. This is someone who can handle the spotlight and having the weight of a franchise placed on him. We could have a rebirth on the side of football that made number 58 our face of the franchise.

I know qb is what we need but how do you pass on this kid.

#58ChiefsFan
11-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I know qb is what we need but how do you pass on this kid.

By trying to force a square peg in a round hole at the most important position in football since Pioli took over.

I honestly don't know how you can pass on T'eo but we seem to have done one hell of a job at it.

raiderhater79
11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
By trying to force a square peg in a round hole at the most important position in football since Pioli took over.

I honestly don't know how you can pass on T'eo but we seem to have done one hell of a job at it.

I wouldn't complain if they picked him

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Does Te'o play quarterback? Why on earth would should they pick Te'o and fight for 5 wins next year? The Chiefs offense averages a league worst 15.2 points per game! 12 touchdowns in 11 games!

What if Te'o ends up like Aaron Curry?

Lord-Chiefy
11-28-2012, 10:18 AM
We can get Alex smith abs draft him.

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
We can get Alex smith abs draft him.

Alex Smith without Jim Harbaugh is Matt Cassel.

I honestly can't stand the thought of another San Fran QB. Montana was great (which was known ahead of time), but Bono and Grbac were not. When the hell is this team going to finally find a QB in the draft?

Hayvern
11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Guys, need I remind you that offense is our issue, and in offense our biggest issue is scoring touchdowns. We need to have more offense on this team. I enjoy defense as much as the next person, but there is not a quarterback that is going to be available this season that is any better than what we have had. Alex Smith, Michael Vick, none of them.

We do not need a linebacker, we have three and we are not that bad at depth at that position. If another coach comes in there and turns this defense back into a 4 - 3, then we might have all the defensive players we need with the exception of a safety and cornerback.

Coach
11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
I say draft the highest rated QB AND sign Alex Smith or Matt Flynn. We have NO qb's on this roster. We need at LEAST 2. Lets find our qbotf and then worry about building around him while he matures.

chiefnut
11-28-2012, 11:14 AM
we can still get a good QB in the 2nd round, even geno smith is not considered a can't miss qb like luck or rg3. take teo in the first which should give us a force in the middle and upgrade our defense then take the kid from syracuse or landry jones in the 2nd and still get a top 5 QB out of the draft.

nigeriannightmare
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I just don't see how we draft a qb that is a way bigger question mark than te'o. I understand its qb. This guy opted to stay in college for his senior forgoing a sure first round selection. He IS the most popular guy on campus he knows everyone. This guy isn't gonna be Aaron curry he is well grounded, great work ethic family first type of guy. Talk to notre dame fans he is the fighting Irish.
Look what Derrick Thomas did to this franchise.

Manti will do that wherever he goes which is more than I can say for Geno or Matt. Throwing up freaking gang signs in a sideline is absolutely stupid regardless of age. Geno's stalk is gonna drop big time after the combine I guarantee he interviews like crap.

We should have given the farm for rgiii then. The qbs in this class aren't even remotely close to those of last year.

nigeriannightmare
11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Does Te'o play quarterback? Why on earth would should they pick Te'o and fight for 5 wins next year? The Chiefs offense averages a league worst 15.2 points per game! 12 touchdowns in 11 games!

What if Te'o ends up like Aaron Curry?

Yeah and Geno smith could be the next Ryan leaf. Works both ways.

I don't see how u take a qb that is gonna be between 10 and 15 on most boards number 1. It doesn't make any sense to me.

nigeriannightmare
11-28-2012, 12:31 PM
And lastly we have drafted need the last few drafts I think we should draft the best available especially at number 1.

doobs_05
11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Are you guys serious about signing Alex smith, the guy is a terrible NFL QB. Flynn looked good in GB because of the system (imo), and could not beat out a rookie QB. It's still early but i don't think any of the QBs coming out are worth a top 5 pick.

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM

I don't see how u take a qb that is gonna be between 10 and 15 on most boards number 1. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Of course he could. I'd much rather swing and miss at a QB than swing and miss at a much less important position like LB (that the Chiefs are stacked at, mind you).

doobs_05
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
That's a HUGE swing if after everything is said and done and everyone thinks a QB won't be taken until the 2nd round.

#58ChiefsFan
11-28-2012, 12:50 PM

The Chiefs have reached on Jackson and Poe and to a lesser degree Berry, now Baldwin is looking to be a bust in this system with these coaches. At #1 overall Smith and/or Barkley are a reach, this team is so terrible in that position you almost have to reach. I just want to see how far ahead the top two are from the rest of the QBs entering the draft. If we could grab T'eo and trade up into the first round again to get a QB at the spot he is designated and not have to make a reach I wouldn't be upset.

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
That's a HUGE swing if after everything is said and done and everyone thinks a QB won't be taken until the 2nd round.

This won't happen. Every year more QBs than everyone thinks go in round 1. Look at Tannehill, Locker, Ponder, etc.

texaschief
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Te'o #1 overall may not be a better pick than Geno Smith if you strictly weighed their potential impact on this team. However, I believe if you could land Collin Klein with the 33rd pick, the Te'o/Klein combo would be much greater than any Smith/ ? combo of picks.

I think Klein is severely underrated. The falloff between Geno Smith and Collin Klein isn't as severe as Te'o and whichever ILB that may be available at #33 assuming that was the position we drafted in the 2nd round.

If the Chiefs went Te'o/Klein with their first two picks, I'd be effin ecstatic!

doobs_05
11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
What other teams NEED a QB besides KC?

OPLookn
11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I just don't see how we draft a qb that is a way bigger question mark than te'o. I understand its qb. This guy opted to stay in college for his senior forgoing a sure first round selection. He IS the most popular guy on campus he knows everyone. This guy isn't gonna be Aaron curry he is well grounded, great work ethic family first type of guy. Talk to notre dame fans he is the fighting Irish.
Look what Derrick Thomas did to this franchise.

Manti will do that wherever he goes which is more than I can say for Geno or Matt. Throwing up freaking gang signs in a sideline is absolutely stupid regardless of age. Geno's stalk is gonna drop big time after the combine I guarantee he interviews like crap.

We should have given the farm for rgiii then. The qbs in this class aren't even remotely close to those of last year.

If we had we'd have our QB but wouldn't have to worry about Teo or our 1st next year. To trade up from where we were last year would have cost us more then what Washington ended up giving.

OPLookn
11-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Of course he could. I'd much rather swing and miss at a QB than swing and miss at a much less important position like LB (that the Chiefs are stacked at, mind you).

How exactly are we "stacked" at LB? Belcher? I'm gonna have to go Carter on you. C'mon man! Add to it that DJ is getting older and might only have a year or two left in him and Teo looks pretty good.

I'm not saying we should draft Teo over a QB. But I'd be far more understanding if we draft the BPA instead of the position of need....again. I find it odd that I'm disagreeing with you here Ryfo, we usually have the same thought processes.

texaschief
11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
DJ has a lot more than 1 or 2 years left. He's 7 years younger than Ray Lewis... who probably isn't quitting any time soon. With Johnson's speed in a 3-4 defense, he'll be playing ILB for a long while to come.

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 02:36 PM
How exactly are we "stacked" at LB? Belcher? I'm gonna have to go Carter on you. C'mon man! Add to it that DJ is getting older and might only have a year or two left in him and Teo looks pretty good.

I'm not saying we should draft Teo over a QB. But I'd be far more understanding if we draft the BPA instead of the position of need....again. I find it odd that I'm disagreeing with you here Ryfo, we usually have the same thought processes.

DJ is one of the best in the league and just turned 29. Belcher is basically average at best. But when you consider our 3-4 LBs consist of DJ, Hali, Houston, and Belcher, then you have a case that we have one of the best LB corps in the NFL. Better said, I would put it and the O-line as our two positions where we are the best off at. Why spend a 1st rounder there? We could still get a LB upgrade in rounds 2-4. What good is the top LB prospect going to do when the offense continues to give the ball away at their own 20-yard line at a ridiculous rate and scores 1.1 touchdowns per game.

This team needs THE BEST QB available.

I took the following stats from a guy I follow on Twitter, @MikeClay NFL:

1.1 touchdowns per game!!!! The next worst in the league is the Rams at 1.5 touchdowns per game. That means they at least score 2 touchdowns every other game. The Chiefs score 2 touchdowns per game on average ONCE EVERY 10 GAMES!!!!

Some more: "Chiefs haven't scored an offensive touchdown since week 10, a passing TD since week 8, and have three total offensive TDs since week 5." Think if you removed the garbage time TDs from that what would happen. It would only get worse!

I'm sorry, I just can't stand for people arguing that we need anything BUT the best QB prospect in this draft. I don't care if he's not RGIII or Luck on paper.

OPLookn
11-28-2012, 02:47 PM
DJ is one of the best in the league and just turned 29. Belcher is basically average at best. But when you consider our 3-4 LBs consist of DJ, Hali, Houston, and Belcher, then you have a case that we have one of the best LB corps in the NFL. Better said, I would put it and the O-line as our two positions where we are the best off at. Why spend a 1st rounder there? We could still get a LB upgrade in rounds 2-4.

Because at some point the LB's won't be a point of strength. If you're always playing from behind it's harder to win. We've seen that this season and previous seasons.

Belcher is average at best. Since he can't cover he's already 50% and when you figure in that he isn't a beast at the run defense he's down to a max of 40% which to me isn't average. That's on his good games.

ILB also age faster in NFL years as we both know. At 29 an ILB is pretty darn old. Sure you can bring up Ray Lewis and a few other LB's but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

The problem I have (granted it's still way early) but there's no definitive "best" QB. I may be remembering incorrectly but it seems that while Pioli has been here we've been drafting D when the draft is strong in O and when we've drafted O it's strong in the D. May be off and probably am, just how I remember the drafts being.

chiefnut
11-28-2012, 02:50 PM
The Chiefs have reached on Jackson and Poe and to a lesser degree Berry, now Baldwin is looking to be a bust in this system with these coaches. At #1 overall Smith and/or Barkley are a reach, this team is so terrible in that position you almost have to reach. I just want to see how far ahead the top two are from the rest of the QBs entering the draft. If we could grab T'eo and trade up into the first round again to get a QB at the spot he is designated and not have to make a reach I wouldn't be upset.

all the more reason not to reach, you take a flying leap and go down in flames for another year, trade down, get more picks and a QB or take best available player and take a QB in round 2

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Because at some point the LB's won't be a point of strength. If you're always playing from behind it's harder to win. We've seen that this season and previous seasons.

Right, but why a LB this year? At some point they won't, but it's not like they're all just going to fall off a cliff next year.

As for the "playing from behind", see my above post that I edited...That should give you a pretty good insight as to why they're always behind.

chiefnut
11-28-2012, 02:54 PM

DJ has a lot more than 1 or 2 years left. He's 7 years younger than Ray Lewis... who probably isn't quitting any time soon. With Johnson's speed in a 3-4 defense, he'll be playing ILB for a long while to come.

we are set at OLB and have [1] solid ILB but are in need of another stud ILB...that would make this a better run stuffing and pass rushing D

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyway, who cares. This team is forever doomed. They can't even secure the 1st overall pick in the right year either.

nigeriannightmare
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
DJ is one of the best in the league and just turned 29. Belcher is basically average at best. But when you consider our 3-4 LBs consist of DJ, Hali, Houston, and Belcher, then you have a case that we have one of the best LB corps in the NFL. Better said, I would put it and the O-line as our two positions where we are the best off at. Why spend a 1st rounder there? We could still get a LB upgrade in rounds 2-4. What good is the top LB prospect going to do when the offense continues to give the ball away at their own 20-yard line at a ridiculous rate and scores 1.1 touchdowns per game.

B

I took the following stats from a guy I follow on Twitter, @MikeClay NFL:

1.1 touchdowns per game!!!! The next worst in the league is the Rams at 1.5 touchdowns per game. That means they at least score 2 touchdowns every other game. The Chiefs score 2 touchdowns per game on average ONCE EVERY 10 GAMES!!!!

Some more: "Chiefs haven't scored an offensive touchdown since week 10, a passing TD since week 8, and have three total offensive TDs since week 5." Think if you removed the garbage time TDs from that what would happen. It would only get worse!

I'm sorry, I just can't stand for people arguing that we need anything BUT the best QB prospect in this draft. I don't care if he's not RGIII or Luck on paper.

This makes no sense. So after the combine the top qbs are at the bottom of the first. Why would u not take the best player available and then trade up to a mid to late first round. We do have two thirds and a WR that doesn't want to be in KC.

Hypothetically speaking lets say the top 2 qbs perform poorly at the combine and their stock has dropped what would u do? Still take a qb that is projected to go mid to late first round with the first overall pick?

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 03:28 PM
This makes no sense. So after the combine the top qbs are at the bottom of the first. Why would u not take the best player available and then trade up to a mid to late first round. We do have two thirds and a WR that doesn't want to be in KC.

Hypothetically speaking lets say the top 2 qbs perform poorly at the combine and their stock has dropped what would u do? Still take a qb that is projected to go mid to late first round with the first overall pick?

Ok, we're operating under two different assumptions. If that is the case, sure I agree. I am under the assumption that there will be 1 (Geno), maybe 2 quarterbacks in the top 10 picks come time for the draft.

nigeriannightmare
11-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok, we're operating under two different assumptions. If that is the case, sure I agree. I am under the assumption that there will be 1 (Geno), maybe 2 quarterbacks in the top 10 picks come time for the draft.

Yes we are then I am not seeing 2 qbs being drafted in the top 20.

OPLookn
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Granted that mock drafts right now are like trying to pick the winning powerball number. But walterfootball has seemed to do a good job mocking the draft as good as anyone. He has two QB's going in the first round. Geno to us and Barkley going at 11 to Arizona. The next QB drafted is to Jacksonville in the 2nd round.

Like I said this will obviously change but I don't see many teams out there clamoring for QB's this year. I also think the NFL teams see that this year is kind of a let down for QB's. I could see there being a total of 3...MAYBE 4 QB's taken in the 1st and that is a big maybe. If the Chiefs don't take one I could see 2, maybe 3 going in the first.

That'd mean we could get Teo and then trade back up in the first if needs be. If not take Wilson with the first pick of the 2nd round. How unbelievable would that be? Get a monster ILB AND a new QB that could be a franchise QB.

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Granted that mock drafts right now are like trying to pick the winning powerball number. But walterfootball has seemed to do a good job mocking the draft as good as anyone. He has two QB's going in the first round. Geno to us and Barkley going at 11 to Arizona. The next QB drafted is to Jacksonville in the 2nd round.

Like I said this will obviously change but I don't see many teams out there clamoring for QB's this year. I also think the NFL teams see that this year is kind of a let down for QB's. I could see there being a total of 3...MAYBE 4 QB's taken in the 1st and that is a big maybe. If the Chiefs don't take one I could see 2, maybe 3 going in the first.

That'd mean we could get Teo and then trade back up in the first if needs be. If not take Wilson with the first pick of the 2nd round. How unbelievable would that be? Get a monster ILB AND a new QB that could be a franchise QB.

I could maybe get down with that. Wilson was shaping up to be a top prospect until Petrino got canned.

jap1
11-28-2012, 08:12 PM
I would love to get Manti Teo. He is a beast and a great leader on the team and defense. He is also more mature than the average college players are. Being the husband to a die hard ND fan and living in Hawaii, I have watched a lot of his play and a lot about his background/family/hardships. Getting him would solidify our ILB corps for the next 5-10 years. By the time he hits his peak (~5 years) DJ will be on the decline, but our D will still be solid.

That having been said, I cannot endorse this move unless we get someone in the offseason (FA or trade) for QB AND draft a young one. Otherwise, I feel like our hands are tied and we HAVE to get a QB ... unfortunately.

drstandley31
11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Find a way to get Matt Flynn. Then use the 1st round pick to fill another hole. I like Simon from OSU. I understand that we need an OLman, but don't see one worth a first pick. maybe second round. I think Simon would help the pass rush that would make this team a lot better.

Ryfo18
11-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Find a way to get Matt Flynn. Then use the 1st round pick to fill another hole. I like Simon from OSU. I understand that we need an OLman, but don't see one worth a first pick. maybe second round. I think Simon would help the pass rush that would make this team a lot better.

The same guy who couldn't beat out a 3rd round rookie? Really?

texaschief
11-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Rolando McClain just became available. The Chiefs have to worst record in football. All they have to do is put a claim on him and he INSTANTLY upgrades the ILB position. Yes... the same McClain who was the 7th overall pick two years ago out of Alabama.

If the Raiders are dumb enough to give up on a 3rd year first round pick, let's hope Pioli and co. are just as stupid.

#58ChiefsFan
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Pioli wasted the number one spot on the waiver wire by claiming Hayworth Hicks. You know the undrafted G that has bounced off two other team PS.

texaschief
11-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Pioli wasted the number one spot on the waiver wire by claiming Hayworth Hicks. You know the undrafted G that has bounced off two other team PS.

I was unaware. Gawd, this guy sucks more and more each day. :beer:

jason1981
11-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Are u ****ing kidding me. Pii waisted the #1 spot waiver wire for a ps ayer who would have cleared the waiver wires. Pioli should be fired on the spot. He has no clue what hes doing. If this is true.

jap1
11-29-2012, 02:17 AM
I dont think once you pick someone up off waivers that you move to the back of the order list. I cannot find any evidence supporting that, but I cannot find any evidence t the contrary. I did read an article about Jason Babin that said we had first waiver rights to him.

Anyways, I wouldnt pick him up in waivers since that means we assume his current contract (according to Rotoworld: 2012: $970,000, 2013: $4.005 million, 2014: $5.805 million, 2015: Free Agent). If he clears waivers, I would be willing to take a shot at him. He is a decent athlete, it just sounds like he needs some good coaching. Crennel/Gibbs have done well with DJ/Hali/Houston. He has potential, as if he clears waivers, he has very little downside.

AkChief49
11-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I dont think once you pick someone up off waivers that you move to the back of the order list. I cannot find any evidence supporting that, but I cannot find any evidence t the contrary. I did read an article about Jason Babin that said we had first waiver rights to him.

Anyways, I wouldnt pick him up in waivers since that means we assume his current contract (according to Rotoworld: 2012: $970,000, 2013: $4.005 million, 2014: $5.805 million, 2015: Free Agent). If he clears waivers, I would be willing to take a shot at him. He is a decent athlete, it just sounds like he needs some good coaching. Crennel/Gibbs have done well with DJ/Hali/Houston. He has potential, as if he clears waivers, he has very little downside.
We had him in 2008-we now run a 3-4 D and he's now a Jag anyways.

Ryfo18
11-29-2012, 07:57 AM

Yep...He has not done good anywhere besides PHI's 4-3 scheme.

nigeriannightmare
11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Quick question for those in the know. This years draft seams to be loads with DL talent something to the tune of 15 of the 40. One would have to assume that pioli would have known this last year. Has Poe done enough to say we couldn't have waited a year to draft at that position. And secondly he would have also had to have known this years QB class isn't anything like lasts. Is pioli really this inept or is it sabotage?

MissingTBone
11-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Any qb in this draft is not a guaranteed qbotf. You seem to think a rookie qb is gonna fix our team. There's no luck or rg3 in this draft and actually no qb is even close. I want a new qb as much as anyone but a qb isn't going to fix our team by himself. We are lacking in many areas, and I'd much rather take best available than a qb who may not pan out. If best available isn't a qb we should pick up a decent FA and hope there's a better choice next year. We are far from being just a qb away from competing!

Ryfo18
11-29-2012, 08:27 AM
We are far from being just a qb away from competing!

100% disagree with this. The defense has been very good, and a lot of the points given up have been due to offensive ineptitude/turnovers. Look at last week. The offense doesn't turn the ball over and Peyton Manning's Broncos are held to 17 points. That is their lowest point total all year.

The offense averages 15.2 points per game and have scored 3 touchdowns since week 5! Any competent NFL quarterback would turn this team around.

AkChief49
11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Any qb in this draft is not a guaranteed qbotf. You seem to think a rookie qb is gonna fix our team. There's no luck or rg3 in this draft and actually no qb is even close. I want a new qb as much as anyone but a qb isn't going to fix our team by himself. We are lacking in many areas, and I'd much rather take best available than a qb who may not pan out. If best available isn't a qb we should pick up a decent FA and hope there's a better choice next year. We are far from being just a qb away from competing!

Put Manning on the team (hypothetically) and say this again:D

#58ChiefsFan
11-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Quick question for those in the know. This years draft seams to be loads with DL talent something to the tune of 15 of the 40. One would have to assume that pioli would have known this last year. Has Poe done enough to say we couldn't have waited a year to draft at that position. And secondly he would have also had to have known this years QB class isn't anything like lasts. Is pioli really this inept or is it sabotage?

Makes ya sick dont it. I hope it's ineptitude.

jap1
11-29-2012, 08:37 PM

I was referring to McClain. I was just mentioning Babin to show that we still are in the top of the running for waiver wire stuff.

matthewschiefs
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
100% disagree with this. The defense has been very good, and a lot of the points given up have been due to offensive ineptitude/turnovers. Look at last week. The offense doesn't turn the ball over and Peyton Manning's Broncos are held to 17 points. That is their lowest point total all year.

The offense averages 15.2 points per game and have scored 3 touchdowns since week 5! Any competent NFL quarterback would turn this team around.

You're cherry picking

Week 1 40 points Some want to blame the turnovers but 27 of those 40 points were on the board before 1 turnover happened.

Week 2 35 points given up

Week 4 37 points given up

week 6 38 points given up

week 8 26 points given up

week 9 31 points given up

week 11 28 points given up

The defense has had really good games where they have looked really good like the ravens and against the donkeys last sunday but those have not been the Normal this D has given up WAY WAY to many points for us to be a Qb away from being competive no matter how much you hate our QBs. This Defense hasn't been good for so much of the year either. Yes the offense has hurt them but they haven't been great all season a good number of those points came without the ball being turnedover

AkChief49
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I was referring to McClain. I was just mentioning Babin to show that we still are in the top of the running for waiver wire stuff.
sorry about that chief.(in my best Maxwell Smart imitation :D)

Ryfo18
11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
You're cherry picking

Week 1 40 points Some want to blame the turnovers but 27 of those 40 points were on the board before 1 turnover happened.

This was their worst week, the first week of the season.

Week 2 35 points given up

7 came from a TD where Cassel fumbled at the KC 38. 7 came from a punt return TD.

Week 4 37 points given up

20 of those points came off turnovers in KC territory and another 7 on a pick 6. So yeah, the defense did a terrible job.

week 6 38 points given up

7 were from a pick 6, another 7 were after KC turned the ball over on downs when they were getting crushed in their own territory.

week 8 26 points given up

6 from turnovers in KC territory.

week 9 31 points given up

3 came from a turnover in San Diego territory. 7 from a fumble recovery in the endzone, 7 from a pick 6. (17 points total from turnovers).

week 11 28 points given up

This was a bad game.

I'm not cherry picking anything. The fact of the matter is that the 1 game the offense has no turnovers, against Peyton Manning of all people, they give up 17 points. Add up how many points they give up in those other games minus turnovers IN THEIR OWN TERRITORY. I hate having to do research for you to inform you.

Tell me again, that a QB that DOESN'T TURN THE BALL OVER 19 TIMES IN 9 GAMES doesn't instantly make this team better. Peyton Manning on this team doesn't make them 7-4?

Not to mention the offense has scored 3 touchdowns since week 5. But yeah, this defense is in shambles.

Hayvern
11-30-2012, 12:26 AM
All I have to say about this is not picking a quarterback early in the draft this season is going to be relegating this team to another 1 and 15 season. I don't care, no one can make a case for any other QB in this league that could come in here and play better than the barrel of monkeys we have at that position now.

It is entirely possible that Geno Smith is not the guy that we need, at the first overall pick, but he is the guy we need for this team, because there is no one else out there on the market that could do better.

Unless San Diego is stupid enough to release Rivers, or some other crazy action like that.

QB right now, is the biggest need this team has. We have to address that now. We have a good defense that is only getting better, and finally I say we have an offensive line that is better than average, and we still have a good running game. We need someone to get the ball to these receivers we have drafted.

matthewschiefs
11-30-2012, 12:33 AM
This was their worst week, the first week of the season.

7 came from a TD where Cassel fumbled at the KC 38. 7 came from a punt return TD.

20 of those points came off turnovers in KC territory and another 7 on a pick 6. So yeah, the defense did a terrible job.

7 were from a pick 6, another 7 were after KC turned the ball over on downs when they were getting crushed in their own territory.

6 from turnovers in KC territory.

3 came from a turnover in San Diego territory. 7 from a fumble recovery in the endzone, 7 from a pick 6. (17 points total from turnovers).

This was a bad game.

I'm not cherry picking anything. The fact of the matter is that the 1 game the offense has no turnovers, against Peyton Manning of all people, they give up 17 points. Add up how many points they give up in those other games minus turnovers IN THEIR OWN TERRITORY. I hate having to do research for you to inform you.

Tell me again, that a QB that DOESN'T TURN THE BALL OVER 19 TIMES IN 9 GAMES doesn't instantly make this team better. Peyton Manning on this team doesn't make them 7-4?

Not to mention the offense has scored 3 touchdowns since week 5. But yeah, this defense is in shambles.

I said that turnovers hurt the defense you just want to give them a hall pass on there bad games to hate our QBS its what you do in EVERY post BLAH BLAH qb sucks BLAH BLAH Even in a thread prospect here you are complaining about the qbs

So tell me you like Geno smith so much would he have stopped Matt Ryan and the Falcons week 1? Would he have been able to Tackle C.J Spiller week 2? Would he have been able to tackle the Bucs Wrs? Would he have stopped Charles from having those 2 fumbles in our own territory against the Chargers? Would he have stopped Hillis from Fumbling at the 1 yard line? Would he be able to explain to our Coaching staff that Eric Berry just can't defend TEs very well? Would he have made the field goal against the Steelers that would have kept us out of OT? Would he had taken Routts place? Would he have given Romeo the answer to why Charles only got 5 carries? Would he have made the catches that Bowe couldn't against the Steelers? Would he have fielded the punt that was muffed against the faiders?

Those are just the mistakes made by others that I can think of Point being that There have been to many costly mistakes that have had very little if anything to do with the QBs to say we would be a good team with any QB. To say we would be any better then .500 is a reach. When your head coach doesn't no why the best offensive player on the team only got 5 carries in a game your just not going to be a good team at all. No matter who the QB is. A qb better Qb would make us better I have said that before but we would still have a LOT of problems when your 1-10 you have far more problems then a bad Qb. With this team and this coaching staff any QB would have there troubles.

Ryfo18
11-30-2012, 12:40 AM
I said that turnovers hurt the defense you just want to give them a hall pass on there bad games to hate our QBS its what you do in EVERY post BLAH BLAH qb sucks BLAH BLAH Even in a thread prospect here you are complaining about the qbs

So tell me you like Geno smith so much would he have stopped Matt Ryan and the Falcons week 1? Would he have been able to Tackle C.J Spiller week 2? Would he have been able to tackle the Bucs Wrs? Would he have stopped Charles from having those 2 fumbles in our own territory against the Chargers? Would he have stopped Hillis from Fumbling at the 1 yard line? Would he be able to explain to our Coaching staff that Eric Berry just can't defend TEs very well? Would he have made the field goal against the Steelers that would have kept us out of OT? Would he had taken Routts place? Would he have given Romeo the answer to why Charles only got 5 carries? Would he have made the catches that Bowe couldn't against the Steelers? Would he have fielded the punt that was muffed against the faiders?

Those are just the mistakes made by others that I can think of Point being that There have been to many costly mistakes that have had very little if anything to do with the QBs to say we would be a good team with any QB. To say we would be any better then .500 is a reach. When your head coach doesn't no why the best offensive player on the team only got 5 carries in a game your just not going to be a good team at all. No matter who the QB is. A qb better Qb would make us better I have said that before but we would still have a LOT of problems when your 1-10 you have far more problems then a bad Qb. With this team and this coaching staff any QB would have there troubles.

3 touchdowns since week 5. Guarantee he improves on that. Lowest scoring offense in the league? Guarantee you he improves that. Taking some pressure off our defense by actually scoring touchdowns? You bet.

Your whole post is filled with stuff that happens to every team in this league. Hell, the Packers had a horrible game against the Giants last week. San Fran lost to Minnesota. New England lost to Arizona at home! My only point is that this team is merely missing a QB that can actually score points and they're playoff contenders regardless of the schedule.

Ryfo18
11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Maybe to put it more simply, Matt. You seem to want to focus on all the little things that are wrong with this team. I don't deny that this team has it's flaws elsewhere. But one more draft and a good QB and this team can go places.

EDIT: I basically see it as this...you take away the turnovers, get a QB that can lead a team down the field and score points, and you have a team that is competing for the AFC West title every year.

matthewschiefs
11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Your whole post is filled with stuff that happens to every team in this league. Hell, the Packers had a horrible game against the Giants last week. San Fran lost to Minnesota. New England lost to Arizona at home! My only point is that this team is merely missing a QB that can actually score points and they're playoff contenders regardless of the schedule.[/B]

Well most of it show me anther team who has a head coach who can't answer why one of the best running backs in the NFL today only got 5 carries

And I agree that A better QB would help this team. I just don't understand why people get more upset with our QBS for not being able to make up for mistakes by others that have happened then they do at the players when they make those mistakes.

And I have said from a player standpoint QB is the biggest need right now. But we have far more wholes then just a Qb. Qb is a big whole the biggest is missing a coaching staff. I would still love for someone to show me 1 adjustment that has been made this year just 1. This team has more needs as well the want list includes

1. COACHING STAFF from top to bottom
2. QB
3. CB
4. A d line that can get after the qb
5. Safety help
6. TE help although Moaki is starting to play better in the last few weeks
7. More depth on the O line
8. Wr help

Without touching most of those we won't be a good team. A better qb would help mask a few of them but not all. My point all year long has been this team needs help in alot of areas. I would LOVE TO AGREE that a better QB would make us a good team I just see to many wholes to be able to agree.

matthewschiefs
11-30-2012, 01:46 AM
Maybe to put it more simply, Matt. You seem to want to focus on all the little things that are wrong with this team. I don't deny that this team has it's flaws elsewhere. But one more draft and a good QB and this team can go places.

EDIT: I basically see it as this...you take away the turnovers, get a QB that can lead a team down the field and score points, and you have a team that is competing for the AFC West title every year.

I think if you want to fix this team you have to focus on all the problems it has. A new QB won't fix a good number of the issues we have you never fix all your problems but I don't think you can focus on just what is one of your biggest.

I will agree anther draft and a qb will help the team go places as long as there's a new coaching staff. That I can agree with you on. I just can't agree that a new Qb and this team would be going places.

nigeriannightmare
11-30-2012, 07:32 AM
All I have to say about this is not picking a quarterback early in the draft this season is going to be relegating this team to another 1 and 15 season. I don't care, no one can make a case for any other QB in this league that could come in here and play better than the barrel of monkeys we have at that position now.

It is entirely possible that Geno Smith is not the guy that we need, at the first overall pick, but he is the guy we need for this team, because there is no one else out there on the market that could do better.

Unless San Diego is stupid enough to release Rivers, or some other crazy action like that.

QB right now, is the biggest need this team has. We have to address that now. We have a good defense that is only getting better, and finally I say we have an offensive line that is better than average, and we still have a good running game. We need someone to get the ball to these receivers we have drafted.

Phillip rivers gets a 4 million roster bonus and accounts $17million against the cap next year. A new GM and coach may release considering he's had 2 down seasons. I'd jump on that. But yeah that would be a minor miracle.

MissingTBone
11-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Put Peyton on this team and our O line gets him hurt. Not many qbs are gonna have big games when playing behind our underachieving o line.

Ryfo18
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Put Peyton on this team and our O line gets him hurt. Not many qbs are gonna have big games when playing behind our underachieving o line.

This again? I'll just copy and paste from another post... I'm not sure how you form these opinions.

I feel like the offensive line apologist for this site, but this O-line is tops in the league. ProFootballFocus has the Chiefs having the 4th best line: Offensive Line Rankings: Week 10 Update | ProFootballFocus.com (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/offensive-line-rankings-week-10-update/3/)

I consistently watch (and re-watch on NFL Game Rewind) and see the line blocking well. It takes a beating by the casual observer when our QBs (Cassel especially) are back there, the first read is covered, and they have no idea what to do.

This is also worth a re-post (also from ProFootballFocus)...

Cassel takes the 7th longest among all QBs to get rid of the ball (on average 2.83 seconds). However, he has the 5th best number in the amount of time it takes before he is sacked (3.78 seconds). This says a lot about how well the line is doing, despite the poor QB play. (Side note: Manning is sacked on average in 2.75 seconds behind the Broncos line, a full second less!)

Simply put, when you have a QB who can't go through his progressions, it's a recipe for disaster when his first read is covered.

I thought that this line would get destroyed by Von Miller with backup LT Donald Stephenson plugged in. Miller ended up with 1 sack and no other QB hits.

chiefnut
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
i do think our O line is ok, the starting 5 are solid and w/experience we will have some depth. glaring needs are QB, CB, ILB to play next to DJ, an up grade on the DL after that. i think we will be ok at NT by next year, upgrading at DE could be a good move. 1st round their is no stud QB in the top 5 so a CB, DE, or ILB whichever is the best available seems the best way to go.

Bike
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Think about it. Vince Young and Matt Leinart were the "2 best QB's available" in the 06 draft. Now, look how these two panned out in the NFL. I see a very similar QB class in this years draft. This team cannot afford another QB mistake.

#58ChiefsFan
11-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Think about it. Vince Young and Matt Leinart were the "2 best QB's available" in the 06 draft. Now, look how these two panned out in the NFL. I see a very similar QB class in this years draft. This team cannot afford another QB mistake.

I'm starting to believe the draft Geno and make him the starter from day 1 mentality. If he sucks and we go 0-16 you try again the next year. If we go 6-10 or 7-9 you still draft a QB next year.

We can afford to be wrong, given the choices there is no clear right. What we can't afford is to not try and then remain status quo.

I'm not sure but are we still leading the AFC in rushing? Even if we're top 3 that says everything we need to know about the NFL being a passing league.

Bike
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm starting to believe the draft Geno and make him the starter from day 1 mentality. If he sucks and we go 0-16 you try again the next year. If we go 6-10 or 7-9 you still draft a QB next year.

We can afford to be wrong, given the choices there is no clear right. What we can't afford is to not try and then remain status quo.

I'm not sure but are we still leading the AFC in rushing? Even if we're top 3 that says everything we need to know about the NFL being a passing league.
OK I'll go on board with Smith. But we better have somebody better than Crennel/Dabol to coach him up.

Ryfo18
11-30-2012, 03:07 PM
OK I'll go on board with Smith. But we better have somebody better than Crennel/Dabol to coach him up.

This times 1000000000000000!

matthewschiefs
11-30-2012, 06:15 PM

THIS THIS AND MORE THIS what I have been saying all year it doesn't matter who our qb is under Crennel/Dabol they wouldn't be that much of a difference with them running the show they need to be the 1st two out the door Cassel not far behind.