PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith...

Chiefster
11-29-2012, 10:20 AM
May well be on the chopping block this off season.

...Worth a trade??? If so, who/what???

marloweopatchiefs
11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I think so and draft geno smith to sit behind him for a few years. And if alex smith works out. We got our franchise qb.

Chiefster
11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Who/what do we give up for him though?

doobs_05
11-29-2012, 12:34 PM
No, Alex smith had a top 5 Defense and talent surronding him. He's not good at all. Look at games where they make Alex Smith win the game with his arm

Chiefster
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
No, Alex smith had a top 5 Defense and talent surronding him. He's not good at all. Look at games where they make Alex Smith win the game with his arm

Yeah, I wondered why he is being replaced.

reded
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
No thanks, I'd rather have Kaepernick, unfortunately so would SF.

Lord-Chiefy
11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Yea no smith unless maybe fir a 3-4 round pick.
He isn't much better then Matt. Get is a serviceable qb tests all nothing more

Ryfo18
11-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Alex Smith minus Harbaugh is Matt Cassel.

No thanks.

Lewis_Chiefs
11-29-2012, 05:12 PM
He is average and we're sick of average at the quarterback position. He is maybe a slight upgrade on Cassel but nothing more.

This year is the wrong year to have a top 3 pick and to be needing a QB.

#58ChiefsFan
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Trade Cassel for Smith then trade Smith off before he has a chance to show what he doesnt have. You'll get more for him than Matt.

Justin5772002
11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Nobody wants cassel either

#58ChiefsFan
11-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Nobody wants cassel either

Matt Cassel? You can't be serious.

matthewschiefs
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
I would be ok with us getting a qb in the draft and bringing in Smith and having them battle for the job as long as we have a new coaching staff. With this staff I don't think we would see that great of a difference with any QB that is realistic for us to get

AussieChiefsFan
11-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Nope

Lord-Chiefy
11-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Get qb second round.

Guru
12-01-2012, 04:17 AM
NO. Just no.

Chiefster
12-01-2012, 08:56 AM
NO. Just no.

:lol:

Eydugstr
12-03-2012, 03:53 AM
I think so and draft geno smith to sit behind him for a few years. And if alex smith works out. We got our franchise qb.

Not to mention depth at qb.

avguste
12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
I do like the idea of Alex Smith as QB

Chiefster
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM

Who/what would you give up to get him?

MyManHali
12-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I would not trade for Smith, but if he is released, sign him.

Guru
12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Maybe as a backup

Who/what would you give up to get him?
nothing

I would not trade for Smith, but if he is released, sign him.
This I could see. But only as a backup.

Chiefster
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Maybe as a backup

nothing

This I could see. But only as a backup.

Do we draft a QB? Are there any college standouts this year? Or, do we keep Quinn or try to get another veteran somewhere else?

Bike
12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Do we draft a QB? Are there any college standouts this year? Or, do we keep Quinn or try to get another veteran somewhere else?
Release Cassel and Stanzi. Keep Quinn and Taney, and draft Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray in the 2nd round.

nigeriannightmare
12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Release Cassel and Stanzi. Keep Quinn and Taney, and draft Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray in the 2nd round.

Yessir!

raiderhater79
12-10-2012, 08:10 AM
May well be on the chopping block this off season.

...Worth a trade??? If so, who/what???

I would trade a box of used tampons and Matt Cassel for him

dbolan
12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Reaching for stars that are not even there. We missed the boat by refusing to sack up and really go for Manning.

You see where the Broncs are don;t ya?

nigeriannightmare
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Reaching for stars that are not even there. We missed the boat by refusing to sack up and really go for Manning.

Peyton manning wouldn't even come for an interview bro. I don't think pioli is all the well liked.

Guru
12-11-2012, 07:41 AM

WE had no shot at Manning. ZERO ZILCH NONE

Chiefster
12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
WE had no shot at Manning. ZERO ZILCH NONE

Yeah, Clark would have never reduced any of the cap space necessary to bring him in, not that Manning would have considered commingled here in the first place.

myselff77
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
It's been awhile since we've gone to the SF well for a QB.

Where do you rank Alex Smith among:
1. Joe Montana
2. Elvis Grbac
3. Steve Bono

If at the bottom, Id rather coax Steve Young out of retirement for another SF QB. Or maybe even Jeff Garcia.

Chiefster
12-21-2012, 10:20 PM
It's been awhile since we've gone to the SF well for a QB.

Where do you rank Alex Smith among:
1. Joe Montana
2. Elvis Grbac
3. Steve Bono

If at the bottom, Id rather coax Steve Young out of retirement for another SF QB. Or maybe even Jeff Garcia.

...Not sure, I really don't know that much about alex Smith.

Lord-Chiefy
12-22-2012, 12:28 AM
He's not close to elite. System qb. I'd say Matt u s better. Sfr jy st h as better team and coaches.

tornadospotter
12-22-2012, 12:29 AM
I would take Alex Smith as a free agent, but not sure now that I would trade. I kinda on the draft Geno thought, but I just do not think the Chiefs will want to pay out the money for the first pick of the draft. I see some trading action going on. But with the new contract rules, that I not sure of, who knows what will happen.

N TX Dave
12-22-2012, 01:32 AM
I would take Alex Smith as a free agent, but not sure now that I would trade. I kinda on the draft Geno thought, but I just do not think the Chiefs will want to pay out the money for the first pick of the draft. I see some trading action going on. But with the new contract rules, that I not sure of, who knows what will happen.

Don't forget the new players contract has a pay scale for rookies. Players picked within the top 10 will be paid the average of the top 10 highest-paid players in that position, now yes QB is a high paid position. This deal helps prevent owners like when Al Davis paid JaMarcus Russel $39 million dollars to have the player be a “bust” in the league. There will be no more contracts like Sam Bradford’s six-year, $78 million dollar contract with him being paid $50 million dollars before ever playing a down.

Chiefster
12-22-2012, 07:17 AM
He's not close to elite. System qb. I'd say Matt u s better. Sfr jy st h as better team and coaches.

I implore you....PLEASE....stop posting from your mobile device.

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 12:42 PM
alex smith is no different than cassel.

You put the right system around either one and you can win with them. we proved it in 2010. I'd rather get the right coaches in here and keep cassel than go out and get another of the same breed

Lord-Chiefy
12-22-2012, 08:56 PM

You put the right system around either one and you can win with them. we proved it in 2010. I'd rather get the right coaches in here and keep cassel than go out and get another of the same breed

That's what I was saying in my post..

N TX Dave
12-22-2012, 09:15 PM

I don't know if Cassel can do it any more he has lost all his confidence as well as the other players on the team have lost their confidence in him. I think it is time to move on without him. I don't know if Smith is any better or not.

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 09:57 PM
you very well may be right. Me personally i think cassel is to much of a fighter to have given up on himself. And i'm not saying we stick with him but i'd rather keep him then smith and still think we need a QB in the draft if we can get the right one at the right spot

Seek
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Per Trent Dilfer - Andy Reid has made Alex Smith his number one priority. Apparently Andy was trying to acquire him last year in Philly, but could not get it worked out.

whackojacko58
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Please nononono... I believe its a smoke screen

whackojacko58
02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Alex is the penicle game manager... Lets not keep going down this road

matthewschiefs
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I would be ok with getting him as long as we bring someone else in to have him fight for the job.

I here people compare him to Cassel I don't see that at all. Just look at the results Smith has won in the playoffs. He was doing a good job this year until he was removed. After he got a good head coach Smith started to play much better. Like we saw this year a bad head coach can really hurt a player. I think that might also be the case with Smith. Reid has done will with worse QBS then Smith

SBV_Eagle_Bull
02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm not to fond of Alex Smith. He may bring some sort of quality to KC, but not enough. There is a reason why Colin Kap kept the starting job in S.F. If he does come to KC. I dont see him as the starting QB. I see him as comp for Stanzi and Quinn. (if Quinn is still around). Alex Smith is a good QB, just not the fit we need in the most crucial spot on the team.

I can see Stanzi, Tanney, & Draft pick competing for the starting job. But who knows, maybe they will bring in Alex Smith to compete with these youngsters. Either way, I will cheer for my CHIEFS.

MissingTBone
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I say bring in who they feel can run the offense they want to run. Just have a true competition for the position unlike the last few seasons. The more people we try out the better chances we have of finding the right guy. Alex Smith did well with a strong running game, and monster defense. If we can provide that then I don't see why he can't take us to the Chamionship game an beyond.

HaliForPresident
02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not to fond of Alex Smith. He may bring some sort of quality to KC, but not enough. There is a reason why Colin Kap kept the starting job in S.F. If he does come to KC. I dont see him as the starting QB. I see him as comp for Stanzi and Quinn. (if Quinn is still around). Alex Smith is a good QB, just not the fit we need in the most crucial spot on the team.

I can see Stanzi, Tanney, & Draft pick competing for the starting job. But who knows, maybe they will bring in Alex Smith to compete with these youngsters. Either way, I will cheer for my CHIEFS.

Did you guys watch him at all this year? He was one of the top QBs in the NFL until he got injured. He threw 13 TD 5 INT with over 70% completion rating. His QB rating was like 3rd in the NFL when he got injured. Kap kept the job because he was playing extremely well and most importantly he's younger and is far cheaper.

As far as talent, Alex Smith was on his way to a pro bowl if not a super bowl by his play until he got injured. So in no possible way would Stanzi or Tanney even compete with him for the starting job. The problem is he is due a high salary next year and may not be easy to get (may take more than a 2nd round pick).

Seek
02-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I would be ok with getting him as long as we bring someone else in to have him fight for the job.

I here people compare him to Cassel I don't see that at all. Just look at the results Smith has won in the playoffs. He was doing a good job this year until he was removed. After he got a good head coach Smith started to play much better. Like we saw this year a bad head coach can really hurt a player. I think that might also be the case with Smith. Reid has done will with worse QBS then Smith

The comparision is the fact he is a back up and someone elses trash and until he had a real HC that would coach up the Qb. His career was skeptical.

Matt under Weis was a pro-bowler. Under everyone else, fodder.

There are so man people torn between this. Many feel that if they are goig this route, they still need to draft Qb in the first or second to compete. A good portion of those people, would just as much draft a Qb with the first, Resign Cassel and see if Reid can resurrect Cassel as a stop gap, back up while the 1st rounder adjust because they fell Cassel could be just as good as Smith given the same support Alex Smith got.

Now in regards to Smith being benched for Kap. The kid did take them to the superbowl and he had a huge part in their play off wins. So the fact he was benched by his own team for Kap is a well Yeah...but type of response.

#58ChiefsFan
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me if they took a QB in the draft and groomed him to be the starter opening day. If he develops we are in good shape if he crashes and burns we try again. I'm growing gray hair watching this organization trying to recycle other teams quarterbacks and am beyond ready to see them try something else.

matthewschiefs
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Did you guys watch him at all this year? He was one of the top QBs in the NFL until he got injured. He threw 13 TD 5 INT with over 70% completion rating. His QB rating was like 3rd in the NFL when he got injured. Kap kept the job because he was playing extremely well and most importantly he's younger and is far cheaper.

As far as talent, Alex Smith was on his way to a pro bowl if not a super bowl by his play until he got injured. So in no possible way would Stanzi or Tanney even compete with him for the starting job. The problem is he is due a high salary next year and may not be easy to get (may take more than a 2nd round pick).

This is why I don't see the Cassel to smith being a fair comparison. Cassel played really well in 2010. But he was never that high of a Completion% and Qb rating. And Unlike Cassel Smith has won a playoff game. Many feel he got a raw deal by losing his job. I'm not saying that we should just hand him the job but he would be a good guy to have to fight for it IMO. I just don't see Cassel 2.0 when I see Smith .

Eydugstr
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Per Trent Dilfer - Andy Reid has made Alex Smith his number one priority. Apparently Andy was trying to acquire him last year in Philly, but could not get it worked out.

Ehh..."Per Trent Dilfer". Trent says a LOT of things. Would really like to hear Reid's take on Smith first.

texaschief
02-02-2013, 12:50 AM
I think Alex Smith would represent the greatest upgrade at the QB position the Chiefs could hope to land this offseason. BUT, I would be in the boat full of people who think he would be a stop-gap until the position could be filled permanantly by another player. His small hands have always bothered me when it came to him as a "franchise QB." I just don't think consistency can be expected when the QB has hands that size. I'm only 6'1 and my hands spand a little over 10.5 inches. Alex Smith is 6'4 with hands that measure 9.3 inches... that's CRAZY! That's like cutting my fingers off at the first knuckle!! I don't see how he's been as successful as he has.

There just isn't a whole lot out there to be had in terms of QB talent. Even if the Chiefs landed Alex Smith, I'd still want them to go after Nick Foles and perhaps another kid in the 2nd round like Barkley who ran this system in college. I'd feel confident about going into next season having to choose a couple guys out of that group, Cassel, and Stanzi.

Guru
02-02-2013, 04:11 AM
Alex Smith wants to be a starter. The only way he comes to KC is if we hand him the starting position. If we do that then we are not drafting a QB before round 3. Basically meaning we trying the same thing that hasn't worked for years again.

Yes, SF ultimately makes the trade but I can easily see them working with Alex Smith to send him somewhere he knows he will start.

nigeriannightmare
02-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Alex Smith wants to be a starter. The only way he comes to KC is if we hand him the starting position. If we do that then we are not drafting a QB before round 3. Basically meaning we trying the same thing that hasn't worked for years again.

Yes, SF ultimately makes the trade but I can easily see them working with Alex Smith to send him somewhere he knows he will start.

Except for our new coach is a proven QB coach.

chiefnut
02-02-2013, 10:42 AM
alex smith would be a servicable upgrade but not a solution and certainly not at the price tag. better off taking a flynn flyer or depend on the draft solution. best option maybe a matt moore to give us a year or two till the new recruit is ready.

i am still hoping alex tanney shines thru this spring. for u stat guys his were out of this world, and ya gotta luv his video. i kno it was div III but would it not be sweet if he becomes the real deal.

OTR Chiefs fan
02-02-2013, 04:59 PM

I think Smith would be a good acquisition. He's shown over the last two seasons that with the right coach he can be effective. I'm not saying he's a franchise QB, but I think he could get by. Because here's my thinking on this. I don't feel there's a QB in the draft worthy of a #1 pick. Why not get Smith as a stop gap, trade out of our #1 pick, get some extra draft picks and get a QB in the second or third round and let Andy coach 'em up.

Coach
02-02-2013, 11:33 PM
I've been one of those that have compared Alex Smith to Matt Cassel. But Alex Smith led the league in completion % this year. Cassel would have never done that. If we are gonna run a west coast Andy Reid offense, you want a guy like that complete those passes. Starting to think we trade for Alex Smith, draft Joeckel at LT, and tag Dwayne Bowe. Not my favorite strategy but it could work.

texaschief
02-03-2013, 02:05 AM
I've been one of those that have compared Alex Smith to Matt Cassel. But Alex Smith led the league in completion % this year. Cassel would have never done that. If we are gonna run a west coast Andy Reid offense, you want a guy like that complete those passes. Starting to think we trade for Alex Smith, draft Joeckel at LT, and tag Dwayne Bowe. Not my favorite strategy but it could work.

It's a lot better scenario than a suddenly injury-questionable, more expensive LT in Albert, a reach of a QB at #1 overall, and watching Bowe walk.

That being said, I think the more likely scenario will be acquiring Alex Smith, and re-signing both Albert and Bowe and then taking BPA #1 overall. If this happens, it's going to give us GREAT insight into the draft strategy and scouting department of this new regime.

brdempsey69
02-03-2013, 03:18 AM

Gotta agree with this. In KC, Smith would have another excellent HC in Reid that has a good track record with QB's.

BUT, whoever the QB winds up being, the receiving core must be upgraded or Baldwin must blossom and step up. And pass-protection must improve.

Chiefster
02-03-2013, 03:56 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/22447-Alex-Smith

dl89
02-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I wrote something more extensive about this on my blog, but in short:

Smith is a game manager, but he isn't Cassel. He deserves a chance at a starter position somewhere, and Andy Reid thinks he's perfect for the job. But, we need to draft someone AFTER the 1st round to fight him for the job. I think some of the draft's QBs are watching their stock plummet unfairly, so we should be able to pick up a talented youngster and tell the two guys to fight it out.

Guru
02-05-2013, 03:17 AM
It's going to be a damn long wait for April 25th. I'm going to try and stop harping on this for a while and stop thinking about football.

Lord-Chiefy
02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Release Quinn pos.. keep cassell tanney and get FA qb or 2nd rd pick qb or trade back to first rd and get qb.

Coach
02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Quinn and Stanzi need to start their next career. As Walmart greeters.

doobs_05
02-05-2013, 12:51 PM
......I'd be okay with it if it was a 5th rounder, but if we pick him up, doesn't he get like a $8.5 million pay? Alex smith is not that great. Just like cassel, you stop the run and make him beat you with his arm, he becomes a terrible QB. It is very easy to get a nice QBR when you are throwing check downs and passes for 2 yards.

jason1981
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Stop comparing alex smith to cassel. Alex is way better the cassel and has better stats. Alex has better stats even with more cordinaters. He was on his way to the pro bowl before he got hurt this year. And he should have went to the superbowl last year if it wasnt for their 2 special teams fumbles. I take smith over cassel anyday. Alex is capable of getting us to a superbowl. He was the reason 49ers won the last few years. Alex smith may not be elite but no way is he cassel2.0.

Chiefster
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
It's going to be a damn long wait for April 25th. I'm going to try and stop harping on this for a while and stop thinking about football.

It'll be here before ya know it buddy and all the speculation will be put to rest.

jason1981
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Please stop the talking of keeping cassel. Its giving me a headache and would ruin all my hopes.

jason1981
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
For the sake of comparing alex smith to cassel. I would say smith is a cassel 3.5 almost a 4.0

Chiefster
02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I understand and lend credence to the argument for Geno Smith, but I also think there is something to be said for Alex Smith now that I know a little more about him from posts that I've read right here on the "Crowd". It isn't like he's not a starter in this league, or as if he's on the back half of his career or that the Chiefs couldn't afford him. If we're going gamble on a QB I'd actually rather take a chance with one who has proven that he can play in the NFL. Just my two cents.

fairladyZ
02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Stop comparing alex smith to cassel. Alex is way better the cassel and has better stats. Alex has better stats even with more cordinaters. He was on his way to the pro bowl before he got hurt this year. And he should have went to the superbowl last year if it wasnt for their 2 special teams fumbles. I take smith over cassel anyday. Alex is capable of getting us to a superbowl. He was the reason 49ers won the last few years. Alex smith may not be elite but no way is he cassel2.0.

Alex Smith: Comp. Att. %. Yards. Avg. TD. INT
1,290 2,177 59.3 14,280 6.6 81 63

Matt Cassel: Comp. Att. %. Yards. Avg. TD. INT
1,203 2,044 58.9 13,495 6.6 82 57

Career Numbers in the exact same amount of years they've played except cassel only attempted 18 passes for 215 yards in his 1st 2 years in the league. Alex Smith didn't play 2008. Not only does cassel have better #'s but in 1 less year.

Matt Cassel = 1 Pro Bowl
Alex Smith = 0 Pro Bowls

Matt Cassel's OC's:
2005 third string = McDaniels
2006 on bench = McDaniels
2007 on bench = McDaniels
2008 starting 15 games = McDaniels
2009 in KC = Haley
2010 = Weiss
2011 = Muir
2012 = Daboll
Total = 5 OC's in 5 years being a starter

Alex Smith's OC's:
2005 playing 9 games = Mike McCarthy
2006 staring = Norv Turner
2007 starting = Jim Hostler
2008 benched = Mike Martz
2009 starting = Jimmy Raye
2010 starting = jimmy raye, replaced by mike johnson 1/3 thru season
2011 starting = greg roman
2012 starting = greg roman
Total = 6 OC's (you could say 7 although i'm sure mike johnson kept everything intact) in 7 years of starting.

Now lets look at this a bit deeper. Matt Cassel had 2 OC's that were known to be QB guru's, McDaniel's and Weiss. And under thos OC's he had 2 extrememly good years, 1 sent him to the probowl the other got him several accolades including

2× AFC Offensive Player of the Week (2008)
Back to back 400-yard games (2008)
USA Today All-Joe team (2008)

Now Alex smith had 3 OC's that are known to be QB guru's. Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, And you could even say his new HC Haurbaugh is a QB guru aswell. And smith had 1.5 good seasons before being yanked and replaced. No ProBowls and

FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Air_NFL_Player_of_the_Week) (week 5, 2012)
NFC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_Conference) Offensive Player of the Week (week 8, 2012)

Who's better as apposed to worth?
alex smith due 8.5 millon in 2013
matt cassel due 7.5 millon in 2013

Matt Cassel in 2010 > Alex Smith in 2011/12 with a good OC and putting the right system around him.

Lets compare their quote unquote probowl years shall we?

matt cassel's 2010 season :
Year,Games Played, Attempts, Comp., Yards, TD, INT, QB Rating.....

2010-

15-

450-

Alex Smith's 2011 season :
Year,Games Played, Attempts, Comp., Yards, TD, INT, QB Rating.....

2011-16-

445-
273-
61.3-
3144-
17-
5- 90.7

2012-10-

218-
153-
70.2-
1737-
13-
5- 104.1

Was Smith having a better year in 2012? Yes, was it going to be anything more than game manager? No

What was the 49ers strength of schedule for the 2011 season? .449
what was the chiefs strength of schedule for the 2010 season? .414

People want the IT factor of a guy that can throw his team on his back and lead them to victory against the tough teams in this league, people ***** about cassel all the time that he can't do this and we can't take peoples backups that don't have the IT factor and can't do that.. Guess what Alex smith is the same guy people ***** they don't want.
There is a reason he was benched. He is a game manager that has to have the right system around him, and a strong run game, just like cassel. He was benched for Kaep cause Kaep is a game changing gun slinger that can either run you to victory or throw you to victory. Neither of which alex can do. and he's proved it.

So you were saying?

Oh and for those that say Smith is a better scrambler.

Cassel's carreer #:
Att, Yrds, Avg, TD
168 612 3.6 3

Smith's carreer #:
Att, Yrds, Avg, TD
212 761 3.58 4

Coach
02-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Alex Smith is going to want a long term deal as well. I highly doubt he is going to want to come to KC to compete for a starting job on a 1 year deal.

matthewschiefs
02-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Here's my thoughts I think that Smith isn't going to have a big group of teams trying to get him. He won't have much of a choice if the choice is even left to him and the niners don't just trade him. I will state again while there numbers might be comparable Smith was hurt by a VERY poor head coach for a good part of his time with the niners. Once they got a good head coach Smith went to the playoffs and WON in the playoffs. If it hadn't been for a muffed punt they would have been in the super bowl a year ago. Then this year Smith was amoung the top of the NFL in Rating and completion % Cassel has NEVER done either. I think Smith would be a good idea to come fight for the job. But we would need to get someone else to compete with him. At worst he would be an upgrade at backup QB.

fairladyZ
02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Here's my thoughts I think that Smith isn't going to have a big group of teams trying to get him. He won't have much of a choice if the choice is even left to him and the niners don't just trade him. I will state again while there numbers might be comparable Smith was hurt by a VERY poor head coach for a good part of his time with the niners. Once they got a good head coach Smith went to the playoffs and WON in the playoffs. If it hadn't been for a muffed punt they would have been in the super bowl a year ago. Then this year Smith was amoung the top of the NFL in Rating and completion % Cassel has NEVER done either. I think Smith would be a good idea to come fight for the job. But we would need to get someone else to compete with him. At worst he would be an upgrade at backup QB.

So Smith gets a pass because he has had terrible coaching but cassel doesn't get the same pass? Cassel in NE with Bellichick and McDaniels went 11-5 and passed for over 4000 yards and just out of a fluke he didn't make the playoffs. With a so-so coach but weiss and a staff put togeather of quality coaches he took us to the playoffs and had a probowl season. Do people not remember the weiss and haley fued a week before the playoffs? does nobody remember that weiss was pretty much out as OC at that point and even rumored that he was stripped of all duties and haley was calling the plays or atleast known that he was overriding plays????

Matt you like to say that you can't just put the blame on 1 person, just like you like to say there are more to blame on this team than cassel, like the WR's need to take some heat to. You got to have the same attitude in this situation. If you give alex a pass then you give cassel a pass.

The other thing that you guys have got to remember is alex smith is NOT going to come here to compete. He's going somewhere to start, he's going to want atleast a 5 year deal. Niners have already said they will try to trade him to a team of his choosing, if they release him it's alex's choice, and with teams like arizona, buffalo, possible philly he's not going to come to KC to compete for a spot or upgrade our backup situation.

Cassel on the other hand is nearing the end of his deal, he knows his road is coming to an end in KC and there probably won't be to many suitors for him. I'm sure he'll restructure his contract to compete with whoever else we bring in.

Again, Cassel is a better option for this team by far. And my honest opinion is he's also the better QB

Coach
02-05-2013, 10:05 PM
So Smith gets a pass because he has had terrible coaching but cassel doesn't get the same pass? Cassel in NE with Bellichick and McDaniels went 11-5 and passed for over 4000 yards and just out of a fluke he didn't make the playoffs. With a so-so coach but weiss and a staff put togeather of quality coaches he took us to the playoffs and had a probowl season. Do people not remember the weiss and haley fued a week before the playoffs? does nobody remember that weiss was pretty much out as OC at that point and even rumored that he was stripped of all duties and haley was calling the plays or atleast known that he was overriding plays????

Matt you like to say that you can't just put the blame on 1 person, just like you like to say there are more to blame on this team than cassel, like the WR's need to take some heat to. You got to have the same attitude in this situation. If you give alex a pass then you give cassel a pass.

The other thing that you guys have got to remember is alex smith is NOT going to come here to compete. He's going somewhere to start, he's going to want atleast a 5 year deal. Niners have already said they will try to trade him to a team of his choosing, if they release him it's alex's choice, and with teams like arizona, buffalo, possible philly he's not going to come to KC to compete for a spot or upgrade our backup situation.

Cassel on the other hand is nearing the end of his deal, he knows his road is coming to an end in KC and there probably won't be to many suitors for him. I'm sure he'll restructure his contract to compete with whoever else we bring in.

Again, Cassel is a better option for this team by far. And my honest opinion is he's also the better QB
Cassel is also on this team and due to collect a big cap # next year. I think we may end up with one or the other, but definitely not both.

slc chief
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM

i am going to put it this way i hope neither of these qb's are on the roster come training camp. cassell just flat out sucks he in no way deserves another shot to be the chiefs qb. the guy panics when he even gets breathed on in the pocket(doesnt stand tall in the pocket) he also has a weak arm and doesnt take his wr reeds from high to low(finds the closest receiver possible just to get rid of the ball) no deep threat whatsover with him. and he was a turnover machine last year.

alex smith this hurts to say because being from utah. i have followed him his collegiant and nfl career. he has hit his absolute ceiling as an nfl qb. while he was at the u of u he became to acustom to urban meyer's shotgun formation. his biggest knock even 3 years into his pro career. now alex has improved in this area. and is alot better of an option than caseel. because he does stand tall in the pocket knows how to avoid initial contact(can scramble) has a stronger arm, but let's remember he has had a GREAT defense in s.f an awesome running game and a great t/e. there is an absolute reason why harbaugh tried getting rid of him in the offseason and eventually benching him for kaepernick. could he come in and win more than 2 games for us probably. but he will never get us where we need to go and that is the superbowl.

i personaly am getting tired of reading the same old book when it comes to chiefs qb's. with that book being titled other teams re tread's

i say draft a qb in this years draft if it does not work out and doesn't look promising draft another one next year. repeat the process UNTILL THEY GET IT RIGHT WE NEED AN ABSOLUTE FRANCHISE QB.

fairladyZ
02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Cassel will count for 7.5 against the cap if he's kept, if he's cut we will save 5 mil against the cap. Alex smith is due for 7.5 mil and a 1 mil roster bonus, i'm not sure if we would have to pick that up. But smith knows there are teams that will pay him to start, and he wants to start, he won't come here to just be a stop gap or to compete.

Cassel on the other hand i'm sure would restructure his deal to stay here and compete as the market for him will pretty much be non-exsistent. And with andy reid being as good as he is with QB's it may just be what cassel needs, ALA what he did in NE with mcdaniels and passing for 4000+ yards and 2 back to back 400 yrd passing games. And if it wasn't for the fluke that year if they would have gotten into the playoffs with their 11-5 record i have no doubt they would have made a run to the championship.

Cassel is a proven winner. IF you put the right pieces and coaching around him, same with smith. only difference is we already have one that will come alot cheaper!

fairladyZ
02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
i am going to put it this way i hope neither of these qb's are on the roster come training camp. cassell just flat out sucks he in no way deserves another shot to be the chiefs qb. the guy panics when he even gets breathed on in the pocket(doesnt stand tall in the pocket) he also has a weak arm and doesnt take his wr reeds from high to low(finds the closest receiver possible just to get rid of the ball) no deep threat whatsover with him. and he was a turnover machine last year.

alex smith this hurts to say because being from utah. i have followed him his collegiant and nfl career. he has hit his absolute ceiling as an nfl qb. while he was at the u of u he became to acustom to urban meyer's shotgun formation. his biggest knock even 3 years into his pro career. now alex has improved in this area. and is alot better of an option than caseel. because he does stand tall in the pocket knows how to avoid initial contact(can scramble) has a stronger arm, but let's remember he has had a GREAT defense in s.f an awesome running game and a great t/e. there is an absolute reason why harbaugh tried getting rid of him in the offseason and eventually benching him for kaepernick. could he come in and win more than 2 games for us probably. but he will never get us where we need to go and that is the superbowl.

i personaly am getting tired of reading the same old book when it comes to chiefs qb's. with that book being titled other teams re tread's

i say draft a qb in this years draft if it does not work out and doesn't look promising draft another one next year. repeat the process UNTILL THEY GET IT RIGHT WE NEED AN ABSOLUTE FRANCHISE QB.

agreed on smith, not on cassel.

Arm strength between the 2 is about the same, cassel's arm isn't great but it's not as bad as people make it out to be, his pocket presence used to be good, it's gone to **** because of bad line play and horrendous play calling so teams could pick us apart. If you want a good example of what cassel's problem is go back and watch ALL the raiders games since he's started playing here. Sometimes our O-Line is great, sometimes it's horrendous, certain teams know how to exploit our line, raiders are a good example. Cassel checks down because of the plays, his wr's not getting seperation, and our oline inconsistencies.

i say we draft a QB to, but we can't just keep drafting 1 every year unless it's late rounds. If we draft in the first 2 rounds then we are comitted to that guy for at bare minimum 2 years to develop, if we miss twice that's 4 years gone and most our young talent base careers are over.

matthewschiefs
02-06-2013, 12:06 AM

Don't get me wrong Smith doesn't get a 100% hall pass he to takes his share of the blame in his poor play when he has played poorly but just like I have stated with Cassel the poor coaching was a factor for Smith. I said the same thing with Cassel all year. I was the one that was talking how Cassel wasn't the biggest problem with the team that the biggest problem was coaching. That coaching staff was so bad words can't do it justice.

The difference between Cassel and Smith to me is that Smith has proven that he can win in the playoffs. Cassel has not. Now That's not to say it's not possible for Cassel to but Smith showed that he can. Smith would have had his team in the super bowl last year if there wasn't a muffed punt. You can't say that about Cassel. That to me is the difference. I don't think they can bring Cassel back with the hate he got from the fanbase. Some fair some unfair IMO. I just don't think it would be best for either the Chiefs or Cassel to put him back in that spot

tornadospotter
02-06-2013, 12:33 AM
No trade unless it involves a better deal for us, pick up as a free agent! Yes!

fairladyZ
02-06-2013, 12:37 AM
THere in lies the issue though. ALex Smith didn't get his team to the playoffs, and alex smith didn't get his team a fumble away from the super bowl. I posted smith's 2011 numbers, they weren't that great. Matt Cassel had a better season in 2010 than smith did in 2011.

Lets look at the 2011 49ers team
#4 ranked defense overall
#2 ranked defense in INT's
#2 ranked defense in forced fumbles
#8 ranked rushing offense
#29 ranked passing offense ---- KC ranked #25 with cassel and PALKO!
#11 ranked scoring offense

49ers are a solid built team and coached VERY well. That is what got them to within a game of the super bowl. NOT alex smith. 49ers weak schedule combined with their rushing attack allowed it. Face it alex smith is surrounded by talent. Top 5 defense, top 5 O-Line, arguably a top 5 rusher, one of the better TE's in the league, a couple of stud WR's and some serious speed.

Cassel had the pieces minus the coaching in 2010. I fully believe if the BS with weiss and haley wouldn't have happened we would have beat the ravens, the difference is we were playing vanilla offense cause of haley/weiss screwing it all up, and the ravens making adjustments and we weren't. If was actually a pretty tight game the first half. We got out coached plain and simple. There was nothing cassel could have done that game to get us the win. Nothing!

And in NE with good coaching and good team around him he would have EASILY taken the pats to a atleast a couple playoff wins if they wouldn't have gotten left out on a fluke that had never happened up to that point.

You can say what you want about cassel you can not like him or not want him here, but to say that alex smith is better and has a higher ceiling or could lead a team to the superbowl is a blind statement. You would have put cassel in smiths' shoes in SF the last couple years it would have been the same story, and vise verse.

jason1981
02-06-2013, 02:48 AM
I dont care what yall say and dont care about stats but to me i feel smith is twice as good as cassel. The only thing im not sure is what does that meanto me cassel is one of the worst and smith is twice as good then thats not saying much either. It still make smith only a mediocre qb. But when i watched him play i just liked his play and his presence on the field and he knows how to go through his reads and i see a way better qb than cassel. But thats just my two cents.
Also stop suggesting we draft a qb justto draft a qb and say if it dont work then draft one next year and the next tell we get it right. If we reach and draft a qb who is a bust it will set us back n no matter what way you look at it. It will be a waisted picm and a high waisted pick at that. I want to draft a qb jist as bad but dont want tk waist a pick either. Just ask the raiders whay happens when you reach and i dont mean money wise. You have to give the qb time tk develope and after those years are upand hes a bust then its time waisted. You dont reach with the 1st overall pick. We either trade down or we wait til 2nd rd or we can trade back up into the 1st rnd. But 1st pick jndraft you make damn sure its the most its a star player.

Guru
02-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Holy crap!!! People still want Cassel here? Now I've seen it all.

Cassel has done nothing to show he deserves another shot. I hope I never hear that name again.

As a matter of fact, he has reached the status of THAT kicker. He is now THAT QB to me.

Guru
02-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Release Quinn pos.. keep cassell tanney and get FA qb or 2nd rd pick qb or trade back to first rd and get qb.
Quinn had a one year contract. We don't need to release him, he is already gone.

Guru
02-06-2013, 03:11 AM
please stop the talking of keeping cassel. Its giving me a headache and would ruin all my hopes.
yes. Absolutely this!!!!

Chiefster
02-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Cassel has done nothing to show he deserves another shot. I hope I never hear that name again.

As a matter of fact, he has reached the status of THAT kicker. He is now THAT QB to me.

:lol:I had not thought of him in quite that infamous way. That is truly saying something to have sunk so low.

doobs_05
02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
So a year and a half cancels out 6 years of terrible QB play for smith? If smith would take less money, then i'd be okay with it but he's going to ask for a lot

fairladyZ
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Fans of 49ers feel the same way about smith as we do about cassel, they've called for his head since about 08 when he got benched for JT O'Sullivan. He finally got a good OC and HC and stability and he did good and now he's become one of the hottest and most accurate qb's in the league? common people use some common sense please.

Cassel has had better stats in less games played in, he's cheaper, we already have him and don't have to waste a pick to get him. He's proven he can do what we need him to do. The fans turned on him in a bum deal for cassel. He had ZERO stability around him other than jamaal charles, and even then he wasn't used right. The line has been in flux, the receivers other than bowe have been wretched, and the playcalling and game managing/adjustment making has been the WORST IN THE HISTORY of the NFL. think about that people. Historically BAD!!! coming from someone who went to probowl in 2010 and had a top 5 season out of ALL QB's in 2008.

I'll call it now.. Matt Cassel is on this team this season and there is a possibility he starts game 1

Lord-Chiefy
02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Matt Matt Matt.....yeaaaaaa Matt

Ryfo18
02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I'll say this...He's better than what we have. Not great, but he's definitely better.

jason1981
02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Even if you think cassel and smith are almost alike. You can see smith can still play and win games for you. He hasnt lossed any confidence or no jitters and knows how to go through his reads and just doesnt check down every single play. Cassel has lossed it all. If thats fair or not smith right now is better then cassel. So id take smith over cassel anyday of the week. I think smith would be a better teacher amd help groom or next qb as well. I dont see cassel that good of a teacher. But just my opinion.

Coach
02-06-2013, 05:46 PM

With his cap #, I don't see how he stays on this roster unless he is named the starter.

Coach
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I'll say this...He's better than what we have. Not great, but he's definitely better.
That's not saying a whole lot as you know.

slc chief
02-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Fans of 49ers feel the same way about smith as we do about cassel, they've called for his head since about 08 when he got benched for JT O'Sullivan. He finally got a good OC and HC and stability and he did good and now he's become one of the hottest and most accurate qb's in the league? common people use some common sense please.

Cassel has had better stats in less games played in, he's cheaper, we already have him and don't have to waste a pick to get him. He's proven he can do what we need him to do. The fans turned on him in a bum deal for cassel. He had ZERO stability around him other than jamaal charles, and even then he wasn't used right. The line has been in flux, the receivers other than bowe have been wretched, and the playcalling and game managing/adjustment making has been the WORST IN THE HISTORY of the NFL. think about that people. Historically BAD!!! coming from someone who went to probowl in 2010 and had a top 5 season out of ALL QB's in 2008.

I'll call it now.. Matt Cassel is on this team this season and there is a possibility he starts game 1

ha cassell got benched over brady quinn. i highly doubt he stays let alone starts. he is done he has been broken beyond repair . and most importantly HE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. THERE IS A REASON HE HAS BEEN A CAREER BACKUP EVEN IN COLLEGE.

Coach
02-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Cassel will either get cut, restructure his deal, or be our starter next year.

Guru
02-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Cassel will either get cut, restructure his deal, or be our starter next year.

Really going out on a limb there with that prediction. :lol:

Guru
02-07-2013, 03:24 AM

I'll call it now.. Matt Cassel is on this team this season and there is a possibility he starts game 1When Breaston and Bowe were out there together we were fine. Our line is fine right now. Would Jamaal have the season he had if our line was a problem?

I am sick of hearing people calling THAT QB a probowl QB. He isn't a probowl QB. He is a QB that got invited to the probowl when the other ACTUAL probowl QBs declined to play. He went to the probowl by default.

slc chief
02-07-2013, 07:51 AM
When Breaston and Bowe were out there together we were fine. Our line is fine right now. Would Jamaal have the season he had if our line was a problem?

I am sick of hearing people calling THAT QB a probowl QB. He isn't a probowl QB. He is a QB that got invited to the probowl when the other ACTUAL probowl QBs declined to play. He went to the probowl by default.

well said no good qb leads his team to A 1-9 START . NO EXCUSES CASSELL JUST SUCKS. time to move on he might be a descent backup for new england. but the guy can not lead a team that has been proven. the players probably gave up on him in week 5

thePhoenix
02-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Let me give you guys some insight on Alex from someone who has watched every snap he has taken in his career since I haven't missed a snap of a 49ers game since 1990.

First Ill say that Alex is a far better option than Montana at the end of his career, or Bono or Grbac. Montana had already lost the just adequate arm strength he had in his prime due to the elbow injuries. Bono was always just a middle of the pack QB and Grbac was never a legitimate starter to begin with he had great deep touch but that was it.

If you want to Compare a former 49ers to Chiefs QB It would have to be Steve Deberg (even though I think Smiths ability is much greater) Deberg was a young QB with the 9ers but was ushered out of town because in Bill Walshs own words he wanted Joe to take Control of the team and that couldnt happen as long as there was another young talented QB with more exp on the roster. Bill just wanted his guy in there. The story came out this week that Jim Harbaugh told his father that Kaep was his favorite player in that draft..... He was going to get His guy in no matter what. It has nothing to Do with Smiths ability It was about Kaeps super ability and the prize pupil of a QB guru who wants to change the NFL. personally I think Smith play and the fact that the 9ers were looking like superbowl favorites only pushed him to make the switch earlier before management and the fan base wouldnt let him anymore.
The Physical comparisons between Cassel and Smith are not even in the same ball park. There is this thought that is being spread around that Alex has a noodle arm which is totally false. I think it mainly comes from the fact that people hear he is a Game manager (also completely false but ill get to that later) and he was replaced by a QB with a stronger arm. The fact is that Kaep has John Elway, Brett Favre type arm strength and just because Alex doesn't throw as hard as that doesn't mean he has a weak arm. Id venture to say its still in the top 1/3 of the NFL. Where as Cassel is easily in the bottom 1/3. As far as running ability goes just watch the two play and you will see a vast difference. Arm strength in general to me is the most overrated aspect of QB play, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady,and Steve Young off the top of my head all just have or had Adequate arm strength. The catch here though is that even though in real life accuracy and smarts are more important than arm strength there is a minimum threshold to truly be effective, you have to be able to throw skinny posts and deep out patterns to keep the defense honest. I believe that Smith is some distance above that threshold (Scouts agree with me thus the 1st round selection) also he makes thees throws on a consistant basis and Cassel is below it. He just cant make every throw that needs to be made consistantly and so he must be protected by the scheme. Ill also mention that Smith is considered to be one of the smartest and most accurate QBs in the NFL Cassel is at least not nearly as accurate.

Just briefly another Smith myth is that his small hands are troublesome and the cause for so many fumbles the media got hold of this and ran with it (tony kornheiser to this day still call him ol small hands) when the truth is this his hands measure at 9.375 inches which is pretty average for an NFL QB and Colin Kaepernick for instance is smaller at 9.25. Since the early part of his career he has learned how to take care of the ball not only when throwing but also in the pocket he has been pretty amazing at not fumbling in the last 4 years for instance he has been sacked 115 times ( the 9ers O-line is all world at run blocking but just average at best pass blocking) and has only fumbled 17 times! thats thats not lost fumbles its all fumbles including in flubbed QB center exchanges. Harbaugh even commented on it several times how remarkable it is that he has such a grip on the ball in the pocket and how even when defenders get their hand right on the ball they cant rip it away.

Everyone knows that Smith didnt exactly have the best circumstances early in his career but most fail to see the extent of those

2005 His Rookie season He is 21 years old and the youngest to ever play QB in the NFL due to the fact that he graduated with an Econ degree in just 2 years. Because he already had his degree the NFL waived their normal rule that a player must be at least 3 years removed from their HS class to enter the draft. The best WRs on the team were Brandon LLoyd (5 years before he ever did anything decent in the league) and Anaz Battle lol. As far as the OC it was McCarthy who is obviously very good but Alex had him at the wrong time in his career. when you consider he was trying to learn a very complex offense when he had never taken a snap under center in college playing exclusively in the spread for Myers Utes. The result a Rate of 40.8.......gag..... obviously terrible people are already calling him a bust he should have never played this season, but there's pressure to play your #1 overall pick no matter the situation.

2006 McCarthy got the Packers job and the 9ers made a good hire in Turner he isnt a QB guru like someone on this forum stated he is more of a RB guru if anything but he is one of the worlds best play callers none the less. Alex had to start over learning NFL offense because turner runs coryell system compared to the WCO system McCarthy does totally different style and all new terminology. But by the end of the season Alex was showing lots of progress Turner bragged about him constantly and a couple times called him the best deep ball thrower he has ever worked with. Many were predicting big things for him in the future. His top WRs for the 06 year were Antonio Bryant and Anaz Battle lol. the result a rate of 74.8 considering what he had to work with and how much he had to learn and how he played near the end of the season it was pretty successful

2007 The first year of big expectations Pundits everywhere were picking the 9ers to have a big season Norv turner left to coach SD "Go ****your self San Diego"-Ron Burgandy and Mike Nolan made the decision that imo killed his job when he hired Jim Hostler as the OC he was the worst OC I had ever seen. He really hadnt a clue how to call a game or even how to layer routes in the passing game. Every play was all deep or all short and the next time that "hot routes" will be introduced while Alex is QB is when Harbaugh is hired. In 07 season 4 different QBs play none of them break 250 pass yards the high water mark is 237 yard in an OT win vs the Cards. 14of17 games they failed to reach even 200 yards passing and 4 times they failed to reach 100 yards passing

The big story this season though is the shoulder injury. On the third play from scrimmage in the 4th game Rocky Bernard sacks Alex and Alex suffers a grade 3 separation of his shoulder he sits out the rest of this game and the next two games. The 9ers with their new high expectations are suddenly now 2-4 and Nolan pulls the ultimate weasel cop out job ever and blames his injured QB for their piss poor record saying in the media in different words that Alex wasnt tough enough, and called his leadership into question Alex still being young and the opposite of a me first player tried to play the next 4 games with a severely separated throwing shoulder. His gift of accuracy was totally wiped out. He was terrible and understandably so, they lost all four games and at that time the season was lost at 2-8 so the team and Alex finally decided to shut it down for the season. He has surgery on the shoulder and the Bust label was cemented in most fans eyes during this disappointing season its just too bad that more fans dont look beyond the surface. The best WRs in the 07 season were Arnaz Battle who led the team with 600 yards and Darrell Jackson both of whom would have struggled to be a WR4 on another team. They combined for 548 yards for the rest of their career lol the result a rate of 57.2 The combination of terrible coaching, terrible WR talent and a severely separated shoulder explain his terrible season and this 07 and his rookie 05 season are why its silly to compare his career stats vs other QBs

2008 Nolan realized he need an actual NFL Offense so he hires Mike Martz which was a pretty good move IMO considering Nolan new nothing about Offense and left it up to Martz. In training camp there is a there is a 3 way battle for the top spot JT O Sullivan wins it further cementing the bust label. Most fans thought this was because Alex wasnt talented enough or that JTO won the competition because of his knowledge of the Martz system, but Martz has said since then in interviews that he could tell that Alex still wasnt healthy and not as accurate as he needed to be, and that he wished he could have had a healthy Alex to work with. Smith had surgery a second time on his shoulder before the season and sits out the entire year rehabbing. The team under achieves drastically again and Nolan is fired Singletary takes over and decides that he wants to run an exclusively smash mouth offense. He doesnt want to hear from Martz about needing a QB that can make all the throws because he was going to roll with Hill. Hill was 5-3 after taking over like that was a great accomplishment, so he cans Martz.

2009 9er fans are stuck again with a HC that knows absolutely nothing about offense and he is the one selecting the OC (sigh) HE hires Jimmy Raye who started coaching when players still wore leather helmets. Sing Interviewed many qualified candidates including Linehan, Chudzinski, and Hue Jackson but they all literally ran out of the building when sing told them that their plan was to run power as our 1st 2nd and 3rd option and they only pass if they need to. Raye was too old and feeble to get away so he had to take the job. Linehan even took the same job with the lowly ( at the time ) lions after turning down Sing. The offense under Raye was very predictable and very out dated, the passing routes were from another era, very simple and unimaginative. and they tried to run power on virtually every play even with a light OL. After starting the season 3-3 Raye was able to convince Sing that a QB with a stronger arm than Hill was needed to loosen up the D for the run game. So Alex was reinserted into the starting line up. SF fans were beside themselves saying they couldnt believe the great bust was getting another chance. And Im thinking what chance exactly did he have before to be successful? his second season when he played reasonably well? The top WRs for the 09 season are the rookie Michael Crabtree who led the WRs with 625 yards despite having no training camp or preseason and holding out for the first 5 games. Its unlikely that they even got toplay catch many time together before they were in the games together. And Joshua Morgan who was a WR4 this year in Was. The result a rate of 81.5 a nice improvement and pretty decent considering the lack of overall talent to throw to and the fact he had to shake off nearly two years of rust after 2 shoulder surgeries.

2010 expectations part duex. Again the 9ers are supposed to be a pretty competitive team and challenge fo a playoff spot. there is even some renewed hope in Alex by the skeptical fans. For the first time in his career Alex will not have to learn a new offense in the off season because SF will have the same OC. Its just too bad that OC was an ancient man running an ancient scheme backed by a HC that has an ancient ideal of Offense. Raye makes it only thru the 3rd game of the season before he is fired and former QB coach Mike Johnson is hired to take his place. after Raye was fired there were reports that surfaced from players that opposing defenders would literally repeatedly call out every play the offense had called and this happened on several occasions. Also it was said by anyone that watched the game film that literally 90% or better of the 9er run plays followed right behind rookie G Mike Iupati. There was also an issue during this season with an injury to Smiths non throwing shoulder allowing Troy Smith playing time. When the backup QB came in and had a couple big games on teams with no film against him by chucking wounded ducks deep all over the field Sing wasnt Knowledgeable enough to realize that wasnt sustainable and it took 6 games for Sing to have enough of that ridiculous experiment. Had Alex started some of those games its the feeling of many that that the 9ers would have made the playoffs that year and Sing could have kept his job ( thank god he didnt) when Alex did finally get his job back and Johnson had some time to form a real offensive plan of attack it was then contrary to popular belief that his play and stats started going thru the roof. For the first time since he was a 22 year old second year QB there was some talent and a real offensive philosophy around him.

2011 at the end of the 2010 season Alex was a free agent and after the way he had been disrespected by fans and management he literally laughed at a reporter that asked him if he would consider coming back, not being snarky just really amused someone would ask him that question. then Jim Harbaugh was hired Jim didnt have a QB on the roster and he viewed Alex as the best option of all the available talent Harbaugh pushed hard and was able to convince Alex to stay because deep down he wanted to be successful here and show everyone what he could be. They gave him a play book during the lock out and even though he wasnt under contract he personally reached out to the whole team and organized/conducted what the media called camp Alex. He had an excellent season the result a rate of 90.7 which is even more impressive because he yet again still didnt have top notch WR talent Crabtree is a borderline 1 but the niners second most yards by a WR was Kyle Williams with 241 still somehow he managed a shoot out victory vs the saints in the playoffs. Some critics like to point out that he didnt have a big game against the Giants but if you watch that game you know it was a windy miserable mess and Eli who gets credit for winning didnt play that much better and he had 3 fantastic WRs when Alex had Brett Swain as a starter lol.

2012 It begins with Peytongate When I think back on it now I wonder if the fact that Peyton could easily be ushered out even from a successful team because of his age when Kaep was ready had much to do with the whole secret private meeting. But beyond that word came that Alex was working on his mechanics with Tom House who was famous for working with Drew Brees. According to Alex there were some mechanical issues dating all the way back to 2007 when he tried to throw with a badly injured shoulder. and in camp he was pretty phenomenal according to reports that said repeatedly that there was NO question who the best QB was there was also excitement because Alex would finally again get to use the same playbook as the season before. they also addes more WR options to go with Crabtree they had Manningham and Moss no where near the best in the league but by far the best group he has ever had to work with. The results fantastic a rate of 104.1 Also take note that the 2 worst by far games of the 8 game season came after a finger injury on his throwing hand with out those two poor games his #s would have been astronomical.

Another Smith myth is that he has reached his talent cap excluding the 2007 season with the shoulder injury this is the ratings of all the seasons of his career in order 40.8, 74.8, 81.5, 82.1, 90.7, 104.1 ..... notice that it goes up each year? he is just 29 next year the best years for QBs are generally in their early 30s

Last Smith myth is that he is just a game manager. He has all the intelligence and the physical ability to put up huge #s as a QB but since his first day in the league he has only played for conservative run first coaches. this is even true about Harbaugh you just dont put up big passing numbers in his offense Kaep doesnt and wont either its still very much run first and sit on leads type of O so the efficiency numbers are all you can go by and figure they would likely translate if he just threw more often and those are off the chart good. also earlier in his career part of the struggles he had were because of being reigned in it wasnt something he was used to after playing in the spread in college he always looked great when the offense was opened up in more desperate situations because he was just more comfortable that way Andy Reid saw this first hand twice. One more point is that when the the game manager tag first became the in thing to call him last year in 2010 he was second in the league in 4thqtr comebacks and game winning drives only behind Eli

Lord-Chiefy
02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I will say this that Smith will be hungry to prove himself even more when he leaves Forty Niners

jason1981
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Thank you the pheonix. Thats a great review of alex and iv been trying to tell everyone you cant compare cassel and smith. Cassel just plain sucks. I dont watch the 49ers much but when i have and seen smitu play i always liked his play. I saw a qb who can lead and throw and a smart qb. When i watch cassel i just ask myself how bad can this guy suck. Cant throw anything beyond 10 yards and cant get to his second read. Oh and happy feet. Cassel just plain sucks.

fairladyZ
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
lol. So your telling me if alex smith would have been our QB the last 4 years we would have been any better? your delusional if you think so. could alex smith come here and lead this team to more wins then we got last year? of course, cause it's a new system and we actually have a coach that knows what the **** he's doing!!! Would cassel do the same? Yep.

Maybe people forget but what happen when we played the 49ers in 2010? Just 1 year and a coaching change from being 1 play away from going to the superbowl? Oh ya thats right we waffle stomped them. Sacked smith how many times? 5! picked him off once, strip sacked him once. He got a garbage time TD in the 4th at the end of the game. Ya he's such an upgrade!!! We should totally bring him in to be our starter for 5 years so we can go back to being mediocre. Smith is not the answer and neither is cassel, but i'm not willing to give up a possible 3rd rounder for smith when we already have him here under contract and can restructure it.

Smith got outplayed on arguably a better team by matt cassel with good coaching. Sorry it's the truth
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010092609/2010/REG3/49ers@chiefs#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Coach
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Alex Smith is better than Cassel. My sticking point is that Alex Smith is going to want a multi year deal with starting QB money. 49'ers are gonna want at least our 2nd rd pick(#34 overall) and likely more. I'm not sure he is worth lots of money or commitment and draft picks. That's what I hope Andy Reid can answer.

Chiefster
02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Alex Smith is better than Cassel. My sticking point is that Alex Smith is going to want a multi year deal with starting QB money. 49'ers are gonna want at least our 2nd rd pick(#34 overall) and likely more. I'm not sure he is worth lots of money or commitment and draft picks. That's what I hope Andy Reid can answer.

The appeal that Alex Smith brings to the table, in my mind, is that he's still young and experienced especially with the type of system Reid will be implementing.

Guru
02-08-2013, 03:29 AM
The appeal that Alex Smith brings to the table, in my mind, is that he's still young and experienced especially with the type of system Reid will be implementing.
All true, but I am with Coach in that Smith will NOT be worth what they will ask for in trade. Plus having to take on whatever is left on his current contract. I don't want to see this team make another "THAT QB" mistake again.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 06:32 AM
All true, but I am with Coach in that Smith will NOT be worth what they will ask for in trade. Plus having to take on whatever is left on his current contract. I don't want to see this team make another "THAT QB" mistake again.

Good point. If we acquire him, then it tells me that Clark's number one priority is no longer his pocket book. :lol:

Guru
02-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Good point. If we acquire him, then it tells me that Clark's number one priority is no longer his pocket book. :lol:
The only thing that will answer that question is if we re-sign Bowe and Albert. Releasing THAT QB and Jackson would make that easy.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 08:09 AM
The only thing that will answer that question is if we re-sign Bowe and Albert. Releasing THAT QB and Jackson would make that easy.

That's true, but should Alex Smith come here then he, too, will want to "get paid".

Guru
02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
That's true, but should Alex Smith come here then he, too, will want to "get paid".
Yeah, and I will just shoot myself because the Chiefs are doing the same thing they always do.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Yeah, and I will just shoot myself because the Chiefs are doing the same thing they always do.

:lol: Don't do it Guru! It's not worth it. I don't think it's, exactly, the case this time. We're not talking about an over the hill, used up, washed up, has-been, never-will-be, hopeful or wanna-be, Alex Smith is at least a proven starter. However, I understand the arguments you make.

Guru
02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
:lol: Don't do it Guru! It's not worth it. I don't think it's, exactly, the case this time. We're not talking about an over the hill, used up, washed up, has-been, never-will-be, hopeful or wanna-be, Alex Smith is at least a proven starter. However, I understand the arguments you make.
Whoa, I wouldn't go THAT far. He had 5 crappy years prior to the last 1.5 good years.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Whoa, I wouldn't go THAT far. He had 5 crappy years prior to the last 1.5 good years.

True, but with Reid I would expect him to continue to perform well.

matthewschiefs
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

I think there's going to be a big difference in what Smith Wants and what he's going to be getting. His struggles at the start of his NFL career is going to cost him when it comes contract time

matthewschiefs
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM

I agree that you can't ignore those crappy 5 years but I also think you have to at least look at the horrid head coaches he had in those 5 years. Coaching can go a long way with players. We saw Cassel play well with a proven OC. But we saw Smith play better then Cassel when he got a good head coach as Cassel never won a playoff game and has never been near the top of QB rating like Smith was this year. I think the coaching that Smith had played a factor in those struggles in the first 5 years.

fairladyZ
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
True, but with Reid I would expect him to continue to perform well.

And you don't think cassel would? Who we would have to give up nothing for and restructure his contract to lower his pay from 7.5 millon to around 3-4 millon? something smith wouldn't do.

I agree that you can't ignore those crappy 5 years but I also think you have to at least look at the horrid head coaches he had in those 5 years. Coaching can go a long way with players. We saw Cassel play well with a proven OC. But we saw Smith play better then Cassel when he got a good head coach as Cassel never won a playoff game and has never been near the top of QB rating like Smith was this year. I think the coaching that Smith had played a factor in those struggles in the first 5 years.

Again your selling cassel short. Smith didn't outplay cassel, If you compare their 2010 and 2011 seasons cassel had a better season.. Period. Better QB rating better TD/INT ratio. The ONLY reason cassel didn't win a playoff game is because the TEAM fell apart with the haley weiss fued. It was evident as hell. Play calling changed, Oline went to hell, defense collapsed. Do people not remember that we were a bowe TD drop away from beating the colts, a defensive IMPLOSION from beating the texans aswell and starting the season 7-0. And then you could go further to our defense in our next loss in oakland giving in and letting the raiders win it in OT. And our last game of the season again against oakland after the haley weiss rift went public we got manhandled by oakland in every form of the game going into the playoffs. Now i know we most likely wouldn't have won all 4 of those very games that we should have but even if we only win 2 of the 4 we finished 12-4 and likely have a bye in the playoffs, NONE of which were matt cassel's fault we lost. it wasn't matt cassel that fell apart it was the TEAM and the coaching. which was apparent in the next 2 years following of these team going back to complete garbage.

fairladyZ
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh and as opposed to cassel never was at the tops of the league like alex smith was is also incorrect. He was top 3 in the league for rating all season until the last game against the raiders which dropped him to i believe top 5 in the league, behind brady, flacco, rivers. Ahead of manning, ryan, cutler, freeman, and any other you want to throw in there. Take out the collapse against the raiders in the last game and he probably would have finished second behind brady... Alex smith WAS having a good year and got benched.. Don't think that helps the case with alex smith.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
And you don't think cassel would? Who we would have to give up nothing for and restructure his contract to lower his pay from 7.5 millon to around 3-4 millon? something smith wouldn't do.

I didn't say that, I was merely discussing the prospect of acquiring Alex Smith as per the thread topic.

Canada
02-09-2013, 01:35 AM
This is why I don't see the Cassel to smith being a fair comparison. Cassel played really well in 2010. But he was never that high of a Completion% and Qb rating. And Unlike Cassel Smith has won a playoff game. Many feel he got a raw deal by losing his job. I'm not saying that we should just hand him the job but he would be a good guy to have to fight for it IMO. I just don't see Cassel 2.0 when I see Smith .

Alex Smith has thrown more INTs and less TDs than Cassel. Thats why he gets the Cassel 2.0 title

Chiefster
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Ok, I started to merge all the Alex Smith Threads, but it didn't work like I intended so I will stop here. It was not my intention to have any of the threads merge with the thread I started being the main thread. My apologies to Seek.