PDA

View Full Version : Geno Smith Scouting Films

Ryfo18
12-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Here it is from the Iowa State and KU games, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Geno Smith vs Iowa State (2012) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efnQFamDvU8)

Geno Smith vs Kansas (2012) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hhcnos0g60)

nigeriannightmare
12-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Here it is from the Iowa State and KU games, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Geno Smith vs Iowa State (2012) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efnQFamDvU8)

Geno Smith vs Kansas (2012) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hhcnos0g60)

Seriously????? Kansas and Iowa State????? Pretty sure Kanasa lost to two 1-AA schools. Good job geno you beat up on the worst team in the lowly Big !2.

MyManHali
12-15-2012, 01:45 PM
The thing I like about Smith is that he has shown he can play well against legit competition.

nigeriannightmare
12-15-2012, 04:31 PM
The thing I like about Smith is that he has shown he can play well against legit competition.

he went 0 and 5 threw the tough part of his schedule which really isnt as tough as the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 10. So no beating up on the , the kansas jayhawks, the iowa st cyclones is not legit competiion. The big 12 has three teams in the top 25 one in the top 10 and they spanked geno sooo I'll take a note from you he beats up on the cream puffs.

MyManHali
12-15-2012, 04:51 PM
he went 0 and 5 threw the tough part of his schedule which really isnt as tough as the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 10. So no beating up on the , the kansas jayhawks, the iowa st cyclones is not legit competiion. The big 12 has three teams in the top 25 one in the top 10 and they spanked geno sooo I'll take a note from you he beats up on the cream puffs.

I said he plays well against legit competition and it is true.

20 td/4 int against winning teams and the yardage looks nice.

I don't know if Geno is the best prospect but if he is, we take him.

drstandley31
12-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Makes no sense to me, to spend the number 1 pick on a guy that's not worthy. Either trade it, or take the best player that will help our team, and find a QB in FA. I still like Flynn in Seattle. Geno's not worth it in the first round.

Ryfo18
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
I still like Flynn in Seattle. Geno's not worth it in the first round.

The FA QB that nobody wanted last year and never even had 1 start over rookie Russell Wilson?

nigeriannightmare
12-15-2012, 10:28 PM

The big 12 is super super down this year. He played no non conference schedule teams. Playing in the big 12 this year is the same as the AFC West schedule of 2010. He had one top 20 win and played four top twenty teams. That's not a winning record. And Texas is 21.

Three7s
12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
If you wanna see what Chocolate Pain(yes he already has a nickname) can really do, check out the highlights against Oklahoma. He was freaking brilliant!

Geno Smith vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCPd5u6f3c)

Ryfo18
12-16-2012, 12:20 PM
If you wanna see what Chocolate Pain(yes he already has a nickname) can really do, check out the highlights against Oklahoma. He was freaking brilliant!

Geno Smith vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCPd5u6f3c)

Not even a "highlight" tape. That's a scouting tape showing every single snap.

Three7s
12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Not even a "highlight" tape. That's a scouting tape showing every single snap.
What's your point? It shows every throw he makes, doesn't it?

If you're criticizing because you think it shows EVERY snap including runs, then you're wrong and didn't watch the video.

drstandley31
12-16-2012, 03:18 PM
The FA QB that nobody wanted last year and never even had 1 start over rookie Russell Wilson?
Over giving up a first round pick on a college qb that's never had an NFL start, and appears to be slightly above average at best. Yep. I wouldn't sell the farm for Flynn, but I wouldn't give up a first pick on Geno either.

brdempsey69
12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Over giving up a first round pick on a college qb that's never had an NFL start, and appears to be slightly above average at best. Yep. I wouldn't sell the farm for Flynn, but I wouldn't give up a first pick on Geno either.

Wrong guy regarding Flynn. I'd rather have Kirk Cousins. Cousins is very good leader and he can play in this league.

matthewschiefs
12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Wrong guy regarding Flynn. I'd rather have Kirk Cousins. Cousins is very good leader and he can play in this league.

I would be happy with Cousins as well.

Coach
12-16-2012, 03:58 PM
As I watched that tape, I'm not sure that I ever saw Geno Smith go thru progressions. Less than five times did he throw to his 2nd option and I think all of those were when he was being flushed from the pocket.

I'm not a QB expert, but that would be a concern for me. If you laser lock every WR, you will have a short NFL career because NFL DB's are fast enough to intercept those passes.

I want us to take a QB with the first pick, just not sure who. I also want them to bring a free agent QB to compete. We need at least 2 new QB's on this roster.

Three7s
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
As I watched that tape, I'm not sure that I ever saw Geno Smith go thru progressions. Less than five times did he throw to his 2nd option and I think all of those were when he was being flushed from the pocket.

I'm not a QB expert, but that would be a concern for me. If you laser lock every WR, you will have a short NFL career because NFL DB's are fast enough to intercept those passes.

I want us to take a QB with the first pick, just not sure who. I also want them to bring a free agent QB to compete. We need at least 2 new QB's on this roster.
That has been one of his knocks, along with his footwork, but I'm pretty sure Holgerson uses a lot of one-read plays where it's quick slants and screens. I have seen Geno go through his progressions when a big play needs to be made. The big reason I want Geno is because of his deep-ball accuracy. Nothing fazes him and he can make every throw, even in tight coverage. Every other flaw he has can be coached through.

Ryfo18
12-16-2012, 05:08 PM
What's your point? It shows every throw he makes, doesn't it?

If you're criticizing because you think it shows EVERY snap including runs, then you're wrong and didn't watch the video.

Bro, I'm complimenting the tape b/c it's like a highlight tape, but it's really a scouting tape.

Ryfo18
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM

5:50 in the Iowa State game and the play right after he does a good job of scanning the field. I'll have to rewatch more later but am watching the Chiefs right now. Just wanted to point those out.

Three7s
12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Bro, I'm complimenting the tape b/c it's like a highlight tape, but it's really a scouting tape.
Sorry, just misunderstood ya!:bananen_smilies046:

Lord-Chiefy
12-17-2012, 09:01 AM
No to geno

MissingTBone
12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I would be good with Cousins, but what would be reasonable? How about Bowe for him? Not that I could happen but I'd be willing as we could use our second for a wr in the draft.

fairladyZ
12-17-2012, 03:22 PM
but the issue with geno is can you tell me what it is that he can do better than barkley?

USC QB #7 Matt Barkley Highlights 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNN1GiTvA54)

i'm not really sold on an QB in this draft and if i was it would be barkley. I dont like anything about geno, he locks on, he has bad footwork, he whines and pouts and cries when things aren't going right, he throws gang signs ans taunts fans. Don't want him. His arm IS better than barkleys but not by much he DOES NOT have an elite arm its above average and a hair above barkleys

but if anyone can point out 1 thing that geno excels at over barkley other than the obvious he's a better runner i'd like to hear it. I think barkley has a touch less of an arm but i actually think he's more accurate with his deep balls and gets them up to let his receivers run under them, if he has to gun it he can but he's more of a touch passer. Not to mention he plays in a pro style offense with 2 very fast receivers and in a very fast conference more similar to NFL talant and speed.

Now i'm not saying anything other than i want to know why everyone is stuck on geno so bad. HE IS NOT RG3 and everyone acts like he's going to be. I see jamarcus russel more than rg3

Lord-Chiefy
12-17-2012, 03:45 PM
He'll no geno just another joke wanna be pro qb like kordel Stewart. A BIG NO THANKS!!!!!!

Ryfo18
12-17-2012, 03:46 PM
but the issue with geno is can you tell me what it is that he can do better than barkley?

USC QB #7 Matt Barkley Highlights 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNN1GiTvA54)

i'm not really sold on an QB in this draft and if i was it would be barkley. I dont like anything about geno, he locks on, he has bad footwork, he whines and pouts and cries when things aren't going right, he throws gang signs ans taunts fans. Don't want him. His arm IS better than barkleys but not by much he DOES NOT have an elite arm its above average and a hair above barkleys

but if anyone can point out 1 thing that geno excels at over barkley other than the obvious he's a better runner i'd like to hear it. I think barkley has a touch less of an arm but i actually think he's more accurate with his deep balls and gets them up to let his receivers run under them, if he has to gun it he can but he's more of a touch passer. Not to mention he plays in a pro style offense with 2 very fast receivers and in a very fast conference more similar to NFL talant and speed.

Now i'm not saying anything other than i want to know why everyone is stuck on geno so bad. HE IS NOT RG3 and everyone acts like he's going to be. I see jamarcus russel more than rg3

Geno and RG3 are two completely different players, and anyone comparing the two is a moron.

fairladyZ
12-17-2012, 05:56 PM
so explain to me why you and 70% of the chiefs fans i've read about are so sold on taking geno with the #1 pick. Do you really think he's worth it? What makes him more worth the pick than barkley or wilson?

Not to mention we need an ILB, we needed one before those events and need one just as bad now. I'm usually sold on the player i want in the draft but honestly this year i have no idea. Hopefully the combine and senior bowl and pro days will help with that but at this point i have no idea. I know i'm definetly not on the geno wagon though

Lord-Chiefy
12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
People are desperate fir a qb that their blinded. We did win the division with Matt. Its Pioli and the coaches!!!!!!!!!!!!

fairladyZ
12-17-2012, 08:52 PM
i've said it all year.. if you get the right coaches in here and put the right system in ala 2010 we can win with matt and win alot. can we win the superbowl? the chances are slim but he can get us to the post season and i think he could win there

nigeriannightmare
12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
so explain to me why you and 70% of the chiefs fans i've read about are so sold on taking geno with the #1 pick. Do you really think he's worth it? What makes him more worth the pick than barkley or wilson?

Not to mention we need an ILB, we needed one before those events and need one just as bad now. I'm usually sold on the player i want in the draft but honestly this year i have no idea. Hopefully the combine and senior bowl and pro days will help with that but at this point i have no idea. I know i'm definetly not on the geno wagon though

Because he threw up monster stats against weak teams. And he's the best this draft has to offer. Yippee!

fairladyZ
12-17-2012, 09:57 PM
his numbers haven't even been that good honestly, yards are decent, td's are decent, int's are low and completion percentage is good. But i've watched him play against k-state and a couple other games and i just don't see it. His completion % and picks are good because he runs a schemed offense with 1 read, against sub-par competition and if his primary isn't open he panics and tries to scramble, while doing so he'll look around but he never really intends to pass it unless someone is wide open. And if his 1 read is covered he'll still try to force it rather than go thru progressions.. case in point his k-state game when he threw picks and was throwing a temper tantrum on the bench.

He is not the best this draft has to offer. I would put him as the 3rd maybe 4th best QB in this draft. and the gap is close between all of them i just see geno as having the highest potential to bust

Three7s
12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
No to geno
Incredible post. How could one ever defy your logic?

Three7s
12-19-2012, 09:39 PM
his numbers haven't even been that good honestly, yards are decent, td's are decent, int's are low and completion percentage is good. But i've watched him play against k-state and a couple other games and i just don't see it. His completion % and picks are good because he runs a schemed offense with 1 read, against sub-par competition and if his primary isn't open he panics and tries to scramble, while doing so he'll look around but he never really intends to pass it unless someone is wide open. And if his 1 read is covered he'll still try to force it rather than go thru progressions.. case in point his k-state game when he threw picks and was throwing a temper tantrum on the bench.

He is not the best this draft has to offer. I would put him as the 3rd maybe 4th best QB in this draft. and the gap is close between all of them i just see geno as having the highest potential to bust
Are the Sooners a sub-par opponent? He TORCHED them! Watch that scouting vid of him against the Sooners and tell me he sucks.

tornadospotter
12-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Trade overall first pick to the Redskins for KC, then if still on the board, draft the player that should have won the Heisman.
Collin Klein - Highlights - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Sv_0IZdHCpo?t=7m)

Three7s
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Trade overall first pick to the Redskins for KC, then if still on the board, draft the player that should have won the Heisman.
Collin Klein - Highlights - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Sv_0IZdHCpo?t=7m)
Collin Klein is Tim Tebow......

No

tornadospotter
12-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Collin Klein is Tim Tebow......

No
I said trade the first pick to get KC, and if still on the board take CK. Did not say what round. But I will inject this, I see CK as a play maker and a leader, do not sell him short, he has the skills. If he is on the board, I would draft him.

whackojacko58
12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Eww no tebow no ck

AussieChiefsFan
12-21-2012, 09:48 PM
The case for Geno Smith: This is why the Chiefs will select him No. 1 overall - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/12/21/3790082/geno-smith-nfl-draft-chiefs-no-1-pick)

brdempsey69
12-22-2012, 10:12 AM
The case for Geno Smith: This is why the Chiefs will select him No. 1 overall - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/12/21/3790082/geno-smith-nfl-draft-chiefs-no-1-pick)

And I've seen more examples than what's over there on that page.

Ryfo18 and Three7's,

The people that are anti-Geno are dismissing his ability to throw the football and his pocket presence <---- you don't teach those things, either a guy has it or he doesn't. That, to me, is what sets him apart from the other QB's. Just about everything else can be coached up.

The bottom line is there are no iron-clad guarantees in the NFL draft as any prospect can bust -- including Te'o. Since there is a new CBA in place, why not take a chance on a guy that can throw the football & has the pocket presence that Geno Smith has? If he turns out to be a quality QB, then he's worth the #1 overall pick, assuming that they can't trade down or make a trade for Kirk Cousins. The biggest problem is the Chiefs haven't taken that chance on any QB above the 5th round since 2006, and it's killing them while other teams are cashing in.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 02:33 PM
And I've seen more examples than what's over there on that page.

Ryfo18 and Three7's,

The people that are anti-Geno are dismissing his ability to throw the football and his pocket presence <---- you don't teach those things, either a guy has it or he doesn't. That, to me, is what sets him apart from the other QB's. Just about everything else can be coached up.

The bottom line is there are no iron-clad guarantees in the NFL draft as any prospect can bust -- including Te'o. Since there is a new CBA in place, why not take a chance on a guy that can throw the football & has the pocket presence that Geno Smith has? If he turns out to be a quality QB, then he's worth the #1 overall pick, assuming that they can't trade down or make a trade for Kirk Cousins. The biggest problem is the Chiefs haven't taken that chance on any QB above the 5th round since 2006, and it's killing them while other teams are cashing in.

Geno runs a spread offense and I haven't seen him under center once. It's easy to have pocket awareness in that style offense. Is he rgiii, I highly highly doubt it. He reminds me of Blaine gabbert. No thank you.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Blaine left after his junior year so their sophomore and junior years are what we have to go by

Blaine threw for 40tds and 18 ints 6686 yards
Geno 54 tds 14 ints 7148 yards.

Three7s
12-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Geno runs a spread offense and I haven't seen him under center once. It's easy to have pocket awareness in that style offense. Is he rgiii, I highly highly doubt it. He reminds me of Blaine gabbert. No thank you.
Really? That's interesting.....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/MaddenProPlr/Ql6hB_zps54f99dac.gif

Sorry about the size, but it's still pretty easy to see the point.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Really? That's interesting.....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/MaddenProPlr/Ql6hB_zps54f99dac.gif

Sorry about the size, but it's still pretty easy to see the point.

Guess I have seen it now. I still don't think he is what he have to have.

brdempsey69
12-22-2012, 04:50 PM

He's had experience under Center in his previous college seasons. WTF are you talking about?

Nobody is comparing him to RGIII. Pocket presence has nothing to do with the style of Offense & he doesn't remind anyone of Blaine Gabbert, except you.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 05:10 PM
He's had experience under Center in his previous college seasons. WTF are you talking about?

Nobody is comparing him to RGIII. Pocket presence has nothing to do with the style of Offense & he doesn't remind anyone of Blaine Gabbert, except you.

Whatever bro Blaine gabbert was shooting up draft boards potentially being a number 1. Spread offense qbs from college will struggle. This whole I'm a "football nerd" is a sales pitch he wants to be selected number 1 his coach wants him to be number 1. A number 1 overall selection does not flash gang signs taunting fans period. There's nothing for you to debate about with me over it you think he is someone we have to have. I see someone that won't have the mental fortitude at the next level. I see bust. There are other options for the Kansas City chiefs than the "football nerd" from West Virginia.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 05:17 PM
And to compare him to Blaine gabbert is very favorable. Both came from schools that have had success playing similar schedules. Both have all these positive attributes stands tall in the pocket have pocket awareness good arm strength. Blaine got beat down and wasn't mentally ready for the nfl he had no business starting day one. The jags have MJD and little else. We lose Bowe we have JC and little else. You put Geno in ar number 1 on this team a very similar situation, IMO, to what happened in Jacksonville. There already ready to jump ship.

Ryfo18
12-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Spread offense qbs from college will struggle.

Spread offense QBs have just as much if not more success than non-spread QBs. NFL The truth about spread offenses - ESPN (http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=6355471)

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
i would say stats for spread offenses are skewed though. They put up monster stats for a season until NFL teams adjust to it then they get shut down and we don't see them anymore. Case in point cam newton torched everyone last year and set how many records? what happen this year? teams figured him and the style out and shut him down. Im betting the same will happen with rg3 next year, teams will have tape on him figure out the system and shut it down. So i don't really go by stats from spread offenses. Hence why i like the idea of drafting a QB coming out of a pro style offense.

Lets face it the spread offense has been around for ALONG time and has been tried for ALONG time in the nfl and it never sticks because it can't succeed. Once a team gets tape on it it's easy to shut down.

Ryfo18
12-22-2012, 09:48 PM
i would say stats for spread offenses are skewed though. They put up monster stats for a season until NFL teams adjust to it then they get shut down and we don't see them anymore. Case in point cam newton torched everyone last year and set how many records? what happen this year? teams figured him and the style out and shut him down. Im betting the same will happen with rg3 next year, teams will have tape on him figure out the system and shut it down. So i don't really go by stats from spread offenses. Hence why i like the idea of drafting a QB coming out of a pro style offense.

Lets face it the spread offense has been around for ALONG time and has been tried for ALONG time in the nfl and it never sticks because it can't succeed. Once a team gets tape on it it's easy to shut down.

Cam Newton's stats this year are basically identical to his 2011 stats...sooo yeah.

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 09:53 PM
and whats their record again? he can put up all the records or numbers he wants but i want a WINNING team. and when you loose alot of games and can throw the ball around to pad your stats then good for him. i mean seriously WE beat them how bad is that?

Three7s
12-22-2012, 09:59 PM
and whats their record again? he can put up all the records or numbers he wants but i want a WINNING team. and when you loose alot of games and can throw the ball around to pad your stats then good for him. i mean seriously WE beat them how bad is that?
Why did the Chiefs beat the Panthers? The same reason the Mountaineers lost to so many teams. Their defense can't stop my grandma. However, as of late, the Panthers have been dominating everyone. Cam Newton is more than capable of winning games on a balanced team and so is Geno Smith.

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 10:11 PM
as bad as the mountaineers defense is they played their equals with subpar competition. I'm not saying newton sucks, i personally don't like him but he can play for sure. But he also did it against the toughest competition in ncaa. Geno hasn't, so to say geno is going to come in and win is a pretty bold statement.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Why did the Chiefs beat the Panthers? The same reason the Mountaineers lost to so many teams. Their defense can't stop my grandma. However, as of late, the Panthers have been dominating everyone. Cam Newton is more than capable of winning games on a balanced team and so is Geno Smith.

The reason the panthers lost to the chiefs was that no one wanted to play the game you do remember what happened the Saturday before don't you???? You guys expect everyone to give into the fact that Geno is the best qb in this draft but in no way will concede he is the best qb in a week qb class. A gang sign flashing qb in no way shape or form is ready to lead an NFL franchise. Pretty sure the nock on cam newton is he is a prima Donna and not a leader. I know I saw Steve smith tear into his arse on tv for his body language.

Andrew luck and rgiii are worth the picks they went at because they are the face on the franchise now. I don't give a rats arse about his stats his attitude towards fans in the stands is enough for me. And if you don't know they don't even sell booze at college games how he's gonna react on the road to an over served nfl fanatic.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 10:29 PM
And it was West Virginia vs Texas. Not Oklahoma vs Texas, not mizzou vs Kansas, hell it wasn't even west viriginia vs Pittsburgh. It was West Virginia vs Texas. What's he gonna freakin do at mile high or Oakland???

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 10:37 PM
ding ding ding... winner.

Like i've said all along geno's skill sets are average, his arm is good, he has good accuracy, but thats about it. He locks on, he has bad footwork, he is a system QB that has 1 read. He will only break that read if the pocket breaks down.

My biggest issue with geno is his attitude, throwing gang signs and getting into verbal confrontations with fans, pouting and throwing a fit on the sideline and sitting by himself when things don't go his way.

His skillset against subpar competition is MAYBE a smidge better than the other qb's in this draft that have played tougher teams.

DMN
12-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Geno Smith against texas longhorns 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYhpgO3oUk)

We need a leader period... This is unacceptable.

nigeriannightmare
12-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Geno Smith against texas longhorns 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYhpgO3oUk)

For a number overall pick you are absolutely right.

Three7s
12-23-2012, 06:24 PM

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/Geno-Smith-VS-the-fan-How-it-happened-12927671/1#a12938966

fairladyZ
12-23-2012, 06:51 PM
do not care if he was being heckled all game he needs to STFU and pay attention to the game and his coaches and have his nose in his books studying the d. Instead he's jibber jabbering with fans and throwing up gang signs.

You guys praise him for being a student of the game and reports that he works hard studying yet instead of doing that he's standing on the benches doing this ****? no thanks

chiefnut
12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I postedthis in another thread but since it pertains to the geno debate here it is a look at smith vs smith

geno smith first 4 games
134 comp 168 att 80% 1673 yds 418yds/game 20 td o int
next 7 games
184 comp 308 att 60% 2008yds 287yds/gm 16tds 6 int

Which Geno will we be getting the super star of the first 4 games or the a little above average QB of the last 7