PDA

View Full Version : The Case For Geno Smith

Ryfo18
12-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd encourage everyone to read this article. It contains several examples of why the author feels that Smith is the best QB in the draft.

The case for Geno Smith: This is why the Chiefs will select him No. 1 overall - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/12/21/3790082/geno-smith-nfl-draft-chiefs-no-1-pick)

chiefnut
12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
the problem w/all of that is that is built on the assumption that geno is head and shoulders above all other QBs when in fact he is only slightly[and even that is debateable] better than the next 4 QBs who would be available in to the 2nd round.

Ryfo18
12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
the problem w/all of that is that is built on the assumption that geno is head and shoulders above all other QBs when in fact he is only slightly[and even that is debateable] better than the next 4 QBs who would be available in to the 2nd round.

I can almost guarantee you at least 3 (maybe 4) QBs go in the 1st round.

fairladyZ
12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
so you got us, bills, and jags atleast in the top 10 going for a QB.

the margin between wilson, smith, and barkley is a small margin. i can see all 3 booming or busting, with barkley honestly being the surest 1 out of the 3 to turn into a starting caliber QB. he reminds me of matt ryan.

So bills will be drafting 8th. Chan gailey likes mobile QB's and bills have come out and said they will be aggressive for a QB. Why not trade them 1st and take their 2nd or another 1st (similar to redskins trade last year) Then we would be sitting around 8th pick can still get 1 of the 3 QB's and also potentially have another high 2nd round pick where we could get a WR and LB in the 2nd rnd. Or potentially have 2 1st's the next year or 2.

MissingTBone
12-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I say we trade number one to buffalo, for their 1 and 2, then we trade their 2 and our 3 to Wasgington for Cousins. Then we still have a pick in the top 10, a qb with a lot of potential, and upside that has at least 1 nfl start under his belt, and we keep our high 3nd round pick.

Ryfo18
12-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I say we trade number one to buffalo, for their 1 and 2, then we trade their 2 and our 3 to Wasgington for Cousins. Then we still have a pick in the top 10, a qb with a lot of potential, and upside that has at least 1 nfl start under his belt, and we keep our high 3nd round pick.

I doubt this scenario ever plays out. Interesting thoughts though.

2010chiefs
12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
I say draft Geno for now. Unless something changes dramatically at the combine. I rather go with an accurate and mobile QB with a strong arm. The type of QB the Chiefs have not had. Look at what Kaepernicks doing in S.F.

Bike
12-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I say draft Geno for now. Unless something changes dramatically at the combine. I rather go with an accurate and mobile QB with a strong arm. The type of QB the Chiefs have not had. Look at what Kaepernicks doing in S.F.
SF has Baalke and Harbaugh. We have Pioli and Crennel.

Lord-Chiefy
12-21-2012, 09:53 PM
so you got us, bills, and jags atleast in the top 10 going for a QB.

the margin between wilson, smith, and barkley is a small margin. i can see all 3 booming or busting, with barkley honestly being the surest 1 out of the 3 to turn into a starting caliber QB. he reminds me of matt ryan.

So bills will be drafting 8th. Chan gailey likes mobile QB's and bills have come out and said they will be aggressive for a QB. Why not trade them 1st and take their 2nd or another 1st (similar to redskins trade last year) Then we would be sitting around 8th pick can still get 1 of the 3 QB's and also potentially have another high 2nd round pick where we could get a WR and LB in the 2nd rnd. Or potentially have 2 1st's the next year or 2.

Barkley has all the makings of Matt or Ryan leaf..and get hurt...I'm glad since we wont take him.

Lord-Chiefy
12-21-2012, 09:54 PM

I have no issues with that.

chiefnut
12-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Geno Smith...great arm, good runner, elusive can extend plays, waits too long to decide to run, inconsistan accuracy, sometimes locks on, makes poor reads

Matt Barkley....makes good decisions, accurate, lacks arm strength, may be a usc system QB ie...leinart, cassel etc, is a little undersized

Tyler Wilson....can be very accurate, makes good reads but is at times over confident and will force into coverage, lacks touch on short passes, lacks arm strength

Ryan Nassib....nice accuracy, shows a lot of poise, mobil in the pocket, superior ball handling[fakes], good arm strength, makes bad reads under pressure!

Aaron Murray....athletic, good arm strength, nice accuracy but will force balls into coverage[over confident], a little undersized

none of these are early first round prospects, in fact they all are pretty similar in their nfl projections, so mid 1st to early 2nd round you would still get about the same talent at QB,,,,,none of which appear to be a sure thing. just based on the QB talent vs other talents we should opt to take best available first round if we cannot trade down then QB next

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Last years top qb prospects didn't have to throw at the combine this year that is not the case. So wha does that tell me, that although Geno maybe the best of the prospects, but they aren't separated like rgiii and Andrew luck were. So to say Geno is a must have is something I can not get on board with. I hope he kicks arse at the combine and interviews well and creates some separation otherwise we are back at square one with in two years. I laughed when Jacksonville grabbed Blaine gabbert I have watched enough mizzou games to know that he wasn't ready to lead a nfl team.

fairladyZ
12-22-2012, 12:23 PM
here's my honest opinion no what we should do, and i'm probably going to get blasted for it but i think it's whats best for the chiefs.

First thing is first as soon as the season ends we axe EVERYONE on the coaching staff and pioli. I'm pretty sure that decision has been made and their replacements are targeted. Next, and this is where i will loose most people, I would bring in michael vick. I don't think he is a bad QB i think the eagles just suck and can't fix their issues. If we can get him to come in for a decent amount i think he could instantly come in and take the team we have right now to the playoffs, given we have new coaching.

Then i would look at trading with another top ten team to swap firsts and get their second and possibly another 5th rd pick. Take the best QB available that comes to us and let him compete with vick, if he wins out great, if he doesn't then let him sit and learn cause vick is actually a damn good passer if he gets protection. With both our seconds we take one of 3 postions, ILB, CB, WR. rest of draft should go RT or LG, DE, FS. or if there aren't studs there than just BPA.

may case for vick comes down to there is barely a case for any of the qb's to go #1 little own take 2 in the top of the draft. This isn't the same quality that the redskins had to pick from last year. and redskins ARE NOT going to give up cousins cause i would love to take him to but RG3 has already been hurt twice this year. Redskins did what they did for a reason. Vick has probably THE strongest arm in the nfl, he has gotten pretty good at reading defenses, he's accurate and throws lasers, he's deadly if he breaks teh pocket. Give him our oline that is above average, jamaal, and we have GOT to sign bowe back. and it could be a lethal thing cause not only do defenses have to commit 8 to the box for jamaal but now they have to have a spy on vick. And our other options for bringing in a veteran are alex smith = meh, matt flynn = lost to russel wilson and has 1 good game ala cassel, matt moore = meh stop gap. I'll take vick and the best QB that falls to us.

MissingTBone
12-22-2012, 03:36 PM
At this point, as bad as we need a qb I would trade our number 1 to Wash for cousins. I'd rather do that than reach for a qb in the draft. Then we still have a high 2 and 3 round pick.

drstandley31
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Best QB in a draft that has little QB talent. who cares. It's not worth the first pick.