PDA

View Full Version : Gruden to interview for open NFL jobs

kcvet
12-31-2012, 09:30 AM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img21477408.jpg

Despite public protestations he's happy in his current position as a television analyst, Jon Gruden will interview with NFL teams for their head coaching position, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

Over the past few weeks, teams have quietly contacted Gruden and/or his representatives to gauge Gruden's interest. In response, Gruden and/or his representatives informed teams Gruden would speak to them once the regular season ended.

Well, the regular season has ended, and Gruden will begin talking to those teams maybe as early as Monday. Gruden is currently an analyst for ESPN and has said publicly he will stay at the network.

However, privately, the Gruden camp has acted differently, and let it be known the former coach is interested in returning to the NFL. This doesn't mean he will return. This means he's interested in doing so if the right job opens up.

Two teams to pay close attention to regarding Gruden are Philadelphia and San Diego (although the Chargers might focus on a younger coach).

source (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21477403/ex-raiders-bucs-coach-gruden-to-interview-for-open-nfl-jobs)

hello Hunt. anybody home???

Bike
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Gruden won't work for Pioli. It'll have to be some New England lacky - McDaniels or a yes man from the college ranks.

kcvet
12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Gruden won't work for Pioli. It'll have to be some New England lacky - McDaniels or a yes man from the college ranks.

then there goes Hunts bottom line. if Pioli stay fan base say no way

Bike
12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
then there goes Hunts bottom line. if Pioli stay fan base say no way
Agreed. Pioli has tried and Pioli has failed. Lets move on.

kcvet
12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
I can't feature Hunt looking at this next year

http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/bKQ__rLaJNQH0H5wE41PVA/l.jpg

swochief
12-31-2012, 10:04 AM

Awe man don't say that , so sick of this New England crap. It ain't workin here.

But you are most likely correct unfortunately.

swochief
12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I can't feature Hunt looking at this next year

http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/bKQ__rLaJNQH0H5wE41PVA/l.jpg

Someone who's good it ought to put this on a constant repeat loop on everything that Clark looks at for the next 48 hrs.

Use the headlines of--- 2013 Arrowhead game time crowds

whackojacko58
12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Pioli must go

kcvet
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
BTY that photo is what Arrowhead looked liked back in 77 when they went 2-12. avg attendance was 5,000 or less per game. I know. I was there

swochief
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Sad , but it should still get the point across.

Eydugstr
12-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Yet another reason that Pioli should be shown the door.

fairladyZ
12-31-2012, 11:54 AM
reports are saying that clark is personally doing the HC hunt, and leaving the say to the HC if they want to take personnel control and have pioli manage the storage closet costs, or if they cannot work with pioli they will replace pioli with the HC's interaction and opinions along with clark

aka this screams cowher, gruden, reid type coaches

Hayvern
12-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Gruden will not come to the Chiefs at all. All of you who are going to start blaming Hunt if he does not come to KC had better just cool your jets, he will not come here, his disdain for the town is apparent if you hear him talk about us.

Bike
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
It gets tiresome to hear all these retreads drug through the rumor mill. Cowher and Gruden have won their SB's. I'd rather get a hungry, young coach who is focused on the fundamentals and can think outside the box - ala Chris Peterson or Chip Kelly. I hope we stay away from NFL coordinators at this point (Kyle Shanahan, Brian Schottenheimer, Josh McDaniels).

kcvet
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
regardless who we get bringing a 2-14 team back to Competitiveness will be a daunting task

fairladyZ
12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
the problem is that with all the fan unrest if clark misses on an outside the box it will get ugly quick, an established coach is more eye catching to clark because they can come in and fix and use what we already have. An outside the box is going to come in and blow it all up again which i'm sure clark wants to avoid at this point since we do have alot of the pieces in places.

Now your short coaching list there is a couple issues with.

Chris Peterson WILL NOT leave boise. i live here, he's a god in this town and is respected beyond belief and he loves it here aswell as the city for raising his kids and family. I would LOVE to have him but he will not budge, atleast not yet.

Chip Kelly i've seen alot of and will be a flop in the NFL i will tell you that now. His offense is a gimic and people have sold out on it. It's funny that he can't beat a chris peterson team, he cannot beat BSU.. and why is that? because BSU has NFL talent at coaches. Not only that but the rivalry between BSU and Oregon leaks alot of information and apperently Chip Kelly is a GIGANTIC *******. Alot of people in the city don't like him and want him gone, they appreciate what he's done but his atmosphere is very hostile and he's extremely rude. Not to mention oregon is going to be investigated by the NCAA so NOW he wants to jump to NFL? i don't like that at all

kcvet
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
we need our offense fixed in the worst possible way. priority one. an experienced O minded HC is a must IMO. Charles and company ain't gettin' no younger

KCraised
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Im personally out of supporting the Chiefs if Pioli comes back. This is ridiculous.

Chiefster
12-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Gruden will not come to the Chiefs at all. All of you who are going to start blaming Hunt if he does not come to KC had better just cool your jets, he will not come here, his disdain for the town is apparent if you hear him talk about us.

Agreed, Gruden has zero interest in Kansas City. I would love to see him come here but have resided myself to the fact that it will never happen. I would also love to see Cowher here.

Seek
12-31-2012, 03:05 PM

I don't know about this. Not that I want him or will blame anyone. But the Monday night game the Chiefs played. It looked very much to me like he was telling the Chiefs to give him call by pointing out all the things he would do different, pointing out the to the audience what he is seeing and what the Chiefs should do, and they dispute what the Chiefs did different to finally saying. I don't know what they are thinking.

It really looked like he was telling Clark Hunt he was interested.

That being said, the History of Superbowl HC returning is not very good.

kcvet
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't know about this. Not that I want him or will blame anyone. But the Monday night game the Chiefs played. It looked very much to me like he was telling the Chiefs to give him call by pointing out all the things he would do different, pointing out the to the audience what he is seeing and what the Chiefs should do, and they dispute what the Chiefs did different to finally saying. I don't know what they are thinking.

It really looked like he was telling Clark Hunt he was interested.

That being said, the History of Superbowl HC returning is not very good.

Gruden is looking at the bolts. and both HC and GM have been wacked. that monday night game he was wackin us

Seek
12-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Gruden is looking at the bolts. and both HC and GM have been wacked. that monday night game he was wackin us

He was slamming the coaching staff not only stating what he would do different but showing the fans what the defense was showing and what he would do on offense to counter it. Then blasting the Coaching staff for still running the ball.

He more than once referenced how much talent was on the team, and even stated that he would hold Bowe accountable for drops like the one he made and made it sound like Crennel was not, but he would.

swochief
12-31-2012, 04:12 PM
reports are saying that clark is personally doing the HC hunt, and leaving the say to the HC if they want to take personnel control and have pioli manage the storage closet costs, or if they cannot work with pioli they will replace pioli with the HC's interaction and opinions along with clark

aka this screams cowher, gruden, reid type coaches

I hope this is true no matter who they get for HC , as long as they fix the offense.

fairladyZ
12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
interview on clark about an hour ago on 810 he said he is doing the search and the HC will report directly to him. At that point the HC will sit down with pioli and see if an agreement can be made, if not then more personal changes could be made.

Pioli is castrated at this point, he will run numbers and make sure the secretaries aren't using to much ink, other than that he's out of KC

kcvet
12-31-2012, 04:36 PM
interview on clark about an hour ago on 810 he said he is doing the search and the HC will report directly to him. At that point the HC will sit down with pioli and see if an agreement can be made, if not then more personal changes could be made.

Pioli is castrated at this point, he will run numbers and make sure the secretaries aren't using to much ink, other than that he's out of KC

in other words demoted. and his ego might say im outta here

ctchiefsfan
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
I think this "Pioli is under review" crap and Hunt saying he will personally hire the new Head Coach tells us that Hunt would like to keep Pioli but that if he finds what he considers the right coach he will not lose that coach because Pioli is here. I think he is simply telling prospective Head Coaches that if they would like the job but Pioli is a problem, then Pioli is out the door.

As to some of the big names in coaches.....there are lots of reasons why some of the big names wouldn't want to come to KC, but there is one very big reason that a lot of guys might LOVE to come here.

Head Coaches tend to have big egos. (RC excepted) To be a successful head coach I think you pretty much have to think you are the smartest guy out there. That takes a big ego. And turning around a team that is as much of a mess as our Chiefs would turn most any coach into a virtual legend.

If Hunt is smart and "sells" the job the right way...."This is your chance to establish yourself as one of the best coaches to ever" I think he could a pretty wide array of coaches to choose from.

Meanwhile, I'd still like to see Mart involved with the Chiefs in some way next years.....though not as coack I don't think.

MissingTBone
12-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I would rather have a defensive minded coach with a strong OC.