PDA

View Full Version : Who for Defensive Coordinator

swochief
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
:fishing: what ideas for DC does anyone have ?
Alot of commentators think KC should stick to the 34 , get a corner and our D will be fine.

Bike
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
How about Singletary - current LB coach at Minnesota.

MyManHali
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Well we definitely need a starting CB opposite of flowers, but we also need depth at just about every position on defense, especially corner.

kylebigmac09
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Monte Kiffin

MissingTBone
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I'd be good with Singletary, or maybe Kevin Greene?? I think our d is gonna be shaken up this off season.

brdempsey69
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I'd be good with Singletary, or maybe Kevin Greene?? I think our d is gonna be shaken up this off season.

BINGO !!

If they opt to stick with the 3-4, Kevin Green would be an excellent candidate.

jap1
01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Im not sure if Greene is ready to be a D.Coordinator, but would love someone with his passion and intensity. Especially since I think discipline is the biggest thing our D is lacking, and I dont see Reid as a huge disciplinarian.

Singletary I like for the same reasons. He built that 49ers Defense. He wasnt great at the HC gig, but he built the . What style D did he run (3-4vs4-3).

I think this is the 2nd most critical decision left for the team (1st being what they do at QB). Reid is not a defensive mind and he needs someone who can hold up the defense on their own.

jap1
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Im not sure if Greene is ready to be a D.Coordinator, but would love someone with his passion and intensity. Especially since I think discipline is the biggest thing our D is lacking, and I dont see Reid as a huge disciplinarian.

Singletary I like for the same reasons. He built that 49ers Defense. He wasnt great at the HC gig, but he built the . What style D did he run (3-4vs4-3).

I think this is the 2nd most critical decision left for the team (1st being what they do at QB). Reid is not a defensive mind and he needs someone who can hold up the defense on their own.

From my quick research, it seems like Singletary ran a 3-4 in San Fran. I dont know if Reid has any connection with either of these guys, but I would be in favor of either one of them.

texaschief
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Just heard they are trying to get Juan Castillo as an O-line coach instead of DC... that's interesting.

Ryfo18
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Just heard they are trying to get Juan Castillo as an O-line coach instead of DC... that's interesting.

He was an O-line coach before Reid promoted him to DC. That's why Reid was under harsh criticism when the D in Philly underperformed.

jap1
01-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Castillo has spent most of his career coaching offense. Here is a snippet from his wikipedia page and link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Castillo_(American_football)

"Castillo became the defensive coordinator on February 2, 2011.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Castillo_(American_football)#cite_note-5) The hiring was met with surprise by players, fans, and members of the media primarily because Castillo had not coached the defensive side of the ball since he was at Kingsville in 1989.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Castillo_(American_football)#cite_note-6)[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Castillo_(American_football)#cite_note-7)"

MissingTBone
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Everybody makes bad decisions that they later regret. I would think that move was one of Coach Reid's. It sounds like he learned from his mistake as he's bringing him as a o line coach again.
How about Jim Leavitt the lb coach for Frisco? He seems to have those guys firing on all cylinders. He hasn't held that position with an nfl team yet (I think) but he might be a goo fit.

MissingTBone
01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Or Jim Tomsula the D line coach for Frisco. We need as strong a dc as we can get. I really don't want to think about all the players we have that won't Fo in a 4-3 defense. It's gonna mean a whole defensive rebuild again :(

slc chief
01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
i wouldnt mind ron rivera currant panthers head coach he might be getting canned. and has ties with reid. he was d coordinator for the bears and the chargers before getting the head coaching gig at carolina

swochief
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
i wouldnt mind ron rivera currant panthers head coach he might be getting canned. and has ties with reid. he was d coordinator for the bears and the chargers before getting the head coaching gig at carolina

Wouldn't mind Rivera but i think he stays another year at least in Carolina.

Chiefster
01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
I was kinda under the impression that Reid had his coaching staff pretty much assembled, maybe I'm mistaken.

jap1
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I was kinda under the impression that Reid had his coaching staff pretty much assembled, maybe I'm mistaken.

He could pretty much bring his crew from Philly probably, but he didn't have a DC at the end of the year, so that is the big question. The DC choice is what will make or break his hiring, IMHO. That and what we do with QB.

N TX Dave
01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
I think we should wait a week or two before we start second guessing who his staff is going to be. We really have no idea at this time it is all just wishing and hoping on our part. He may end up keeping some of the coaches that are here right now, we just don't know.

Lord-Chiefy
01-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Gunther?? Wouldn't be too bad. Maybe they will get s upstart college guy who wants to jump into the NFL.

swochief
01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
He could pretty much bring his crew from Philly probably, but he didn't have a DC at the end of the year, so that is the big question. The DC choice is what will make or break his hiring, IMHO. That and what we do with QB.

Hoping he makes a few changes. We'd be competitive w/ his philly staff but a few changes might be even better.

DC is VERY important. Might mean alot of changes there too. As long as the man is a diciplinarian.

chiefnut
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I would not mind if he kept romeo as DC

70 chiefsfan70
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I would not mind if he kept romeo as DC

I really disagree in a big way. Not that I believe Romeo can't be a successful DC again, but because the chiefs have a serious "funk" so to speak, and if we don't completely clean the coaching staff out, and get a new feel, than the "funk" will remain. We have to completely change the feel, and the additude, and it wont be an easy task for any one, but if we keep the mental additude this team will forever be in the funk.

For this reason I hope Cassel wont be here next year, even though I think he is better then what he has played. He needs to be gone as well. JMHO

70 chiefsfan70
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I really disagree in a big way. Not that I believe Romeo can't be a successful DC again, but because the chiefs have a serious "funk" so to speak, and if we don't completely clean the coaching staff out, and get a new feel, than the "funk" will remain. We have to completely change the feel, and the additude, and it wont be an easy task for any one, but if we keep the mental additude this team will forever be in the funk.

For this reason I hope Cassel wont be here next year,EVEN THOUGH HE SUCKS EVEN WHEN HE HAS A GOOD YEAR, I think he is better then what he has played. He needs to be gone as well. JMHO

Bike
01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
For this reason I hope Cassel wont be here next year,EVEN THOUGH HE SUCKS EVEN WHEN HE HAS A GOOD YEAR, I think he is better then what he has played. He needs to be gone as well. JMHO
Maybe we trade him to New England for a 2nd rd pick.

70 chiefsfan70
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Maybe we trade him to New England for a 2nd rd pick.

Now I like the sound of that.....lol

Chances are though they wouldnt take him if we paid out his contract and gave them another 2nd round pick.

dbolan
01-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Hoping he makes a few changes. We'd be competitive w/ his philly staff but a few changes might be even better.

DC is VERY important. Might mean alot of changes there too. As long as the man is a diciplinarian.

He had STAR players in Philly and the coaching staff could not get it done. While there may be a handful of them that are worth bringing along, I think he should cut ties with most and bring in a different staff.

ctchiefsfan
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
I think who is brought in as DC is one of the most important decisions. Reid is all about scoring points. His big thing is going to be lighting up the scoreboard. If he can do that and we can maintain a fairly stout defense we will be a team that can compete with anyone.

AkChief49
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I've been reading that Monte Kiffin is a possibility as DC.

jason1981
01-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Is monte kiffin a tampa 2 guy? If so i dont want him. I undecided if we shoukd stick with the 34 or go to 4-3. All of our dline and hali were 4-3 guys before. We could have hali, poe,dorsey,jackson and houstin, dj, rookie or houston, monte teo (r), dj. I think we can trade back into 1st round to get a qb. Im mixed about that as well. Its a sucky year to suck.

jason1981
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Also even if we stick with 34 we need another ilb. So anyway you look at it were short one player from either sets.

rodu
01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I'd rather stay at a 3-4. DJ's best seasons are in that defense, Hali is just as good as OLB in a 3-4 maybe better than he is as an undersized DE in a 4-3, Houston is a 3-4 OLB and I'm not sure if he's played in a 4-3

jap1
01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Is monte kiffin a tampa 2 guy? If so i dont want him. I undecided if we shoukd stick with the 34 or go to 4-3. All of our dline and hali were 4-3 guys before. We could have hali, poe,dorsey,jackson and houstin, dj, rookie or houston, monte teo (r), dj. I think we can trade back into 1st round to get a qb. Im mixed about that as well. Its a sucky year to suck.

Dorsey and maybe Poe are the only guys who translate we'll to a 4-3 on the DL. There is no guarantee Dorsey will be back too. Jackson would not fit in at all in a 4-3.

Hali was undersized before he lost weight to move to LB. he could go back to DE, but he would have to start bulking up now.

Houston has always been too small to be a DE, he will likely play OLB, probably weak side.

That leaves us with one DE and one OLB spot that has to be filled. DE are hard to find and the good ones cost $$$.

Switching to a 4-3 means we need a DE, OLB, CB, and at least depth at safety, if not a new FS. That's in addition to QBs, WRs, RB, and a backup G/C.

Sticking to a 3-4, though, means on D we don't need a DE, and the 2nd ILB position in a 3-4 is something that can be filled with a mid-late round pick or a mid level free agent, especially since he would rarely be on the field in passing situations. Heck, I'd be satisfied with keeping Siler as the starter for this season.

Moving to a 4-3, in my opinion, would result in a rebuild that takes a couple of years. I'd rather see us stick to a 3-4 and focus on rebuilding the offense.

jason1981
01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Yeah id be ok either way. Just dont want to have a tampa 2 defense. Not sure if thats what monte kiffin coaches or not. Besides the way the nfl is going dont think were be in our base 3-4 anyways. Plus 3-4 has more speed then a 4-3.

N TX Dave
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Dorsey and maybe Poe are the only guys who translate we'll to a 4-3 on the DL. There is no guarantee Dorsey will be back too. Jackson would not fit in at all in a 4-3.

Hali was undersized before he lost weight to move to LB. he could go back to DE, but he would have to start bulking up now.

Houston has always been too small to be a DE, he will likely play OLB, probably weak side.

That leaves us with one DE and one OLB spot that has to be filled. DE are hard to find and the good ones cost $$$.

Switching to a 4-3 means we need a DE, OLB, CB, and at least depth at safety, if not a new FS. That's in addition to QBs, WRs, RB, and a backup G/C.

Sticking to a 3-4, though, means on D we don't need a DE, and the 2nd ILB position in a 3-4 is something that can be filled with a mid-late round pick or a mid level free agent, especially since he would rarely be on the field in passing situations. Heck, I'd be satisfied with keeping Siler as the starter for this season.

Moving to a 4-3, in my opinion, would result in a rebuild that takes a couple of years. I'd rather see us stick to a 3-4 and focus on rebuilding the offense.

That is the way I see it also. Leave the D alone this year at least, I hear he likes to blitz and to me it is easier to blitz from the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 there are more places to bring the blitz from.

AkChief49
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
If Monte Kiffin does come in, will it help that Berry played for him in Tenn.?

Also on the Tampa 2-was not Flowers drafted for that scheme by Herm?

Just questions fellas-go

jason1981
01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes flowers was but he can play in any sheme. I wouldnt be against taking teo with the first pic then our lbs wohld be one of the top in the league with hali, dj, teo, Houston. Our front 7 would all be high picks houston being the lowest at 3rd pick but was 1sr rd talent.

jap1
01-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Yeah id be ok either way. Just dont want to have a tampa 2 defense. Not sure if thats what monte kiffin coaches or not. Besides the way the nfl is going dont think were be in our base 3-4 anyways. Plus 3-4 has more speed then a 4-3.

Kiffin I believe created the Tampa 2 when he was the DC for Dungy in Tampa.

I have heard Ray Horton also mentioned as a possibility.

chiefnut
01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
we do have personel that can transition to a 4-3, we need only a MLB, but also need an ILB for the 3-4. most of our current NT will become DT's along with jackson and dorsey. tamba would move to DE, houston would probably move to OLB or even DE? but more likely OLB. studebaker, bailey, siler, also at DE. not to say we won't need an upgrade at the DE but wehave needed help in the middle for years too. the poe[powe]s may both be better suited at DT w/their speed and size so the change is very doable. although any change on read assignments may take nearly a whole season for them to get comfortable with it

whackojacko58
01-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Keep the 3-4 less holes but they must spend money on a cb that plays press man to man. Really this d is suited for namndi asamouh. He was put into a horrible scheme for him in philly he needs tp use his size not play checkers.. Not saying i want namndi but thats the type we need, maybe with the jets salary issues and revis wanted to rework his contract, trade our number one pick to jets for there first and revis?

Ryfo18
01-07-2013, 11:39 AM
we do have personel that can transition to a 4-3, we need only a MLB, but also need an ILB for the 3-4. most of our current NT will become DT's along with jackson and dorsey. tamba would move to DE, houston would probably move to OLB or even DE? but more likely OLB. studebaker, bailey, siler, also at DE. not to say we won't need an upgrade at the DE but wehave needed help in the middle for years too. the poe[powe]s may both be better suited at DT w/their speed and size so the change is very doable. although any change on read assignments may take nearly a whole season for them to get comfortable with it

DJ would play MLB...Houston would be a DE.

chiefnut
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
DJ would play MLB...Houston would be a DE.

that is certainly a plausable scenario, however so far DJ has played better on the outside, Houston can play DE or used as a blitzing LB who can cover a rb and fill gaps. tuff choice he would make a very good pass rushing DE but then we would need 2 good LBs. as a OLB we only need a good DE, or we may be OK there for now.

Seek
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Monte Kiffin

There are rumors out there for Monte, but the guy is 72 years old and runs the Tampa 2 which now requires an outstanding pass covering LB to help cover the ever growing supply of bigger faster tight ends. As the Tamp two leaves a seam up the middle which is where we got killed when Herm was here.

I am not completely opposed to him, but chances of him staying long is very slim, not that many DC do anymore either because they are hired off a staff or fired.

brdempsey69
01-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Somebody fill me in. Did the the entire Chiefs defensive staff get sacked along with Romeo?

jap1
01-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Somebody fill me in. Did the the entire Chiefs defensive staff get sacked along with Romeo?

According to the kc chiefs.com website, all our coaches, both offense and defense still are on the team. Romeo is the only one who has been taken off (then again Reid hasn't been put on the list either).

nigeriannightmare
01-08-2013, 08:12 AM
According to the kc chiefs.com website, all our coaches, both offense and defense still are on the team. Romeo is the only one who has been taken off (then again Reid hasn't been put on the list either).

With the exception of a cpl games the D played well and improved with Gibbs. I have no problem with him. One would think an off season of studying and hell be better.

Can someone please explain why Brian Daboll wasn't fired. IMO he should have been fired before Crennel.

brdempsey69
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
With the exception of a cpl games the D played well and improved with Gibbs. I have no problem with him. One would think an off season of studying and hell be better.

Can someone please explain why Brian Daboll wasn't fired. IMO he should have been fired before Crennel.

You don't have to worry about Daboll -- he's as good as gone. Andy Reid will implement his own offensive system pick his assistants & Daboll doesn't factor into that equation, especially with his track record.

jason1981
01-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Rob ryan just got canned in dallas. Maybe we look at him?

matthewschiefs
01-08-2013, 09:26 PM
You don't have to worry about Daboll -- he's as good as gone. Andy Reid will implement his own offensive system pick his assistants & Daboll doesn't factor into that equation, especially with his track record.

If Daboll is brought back Clark should fire Reid on the spot before 1 game

whackojacko58
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Rob ryan just got canned in dallas. Maybe we look at him?

I just saw that id be interested in him hes good with the 3/4

N TX Dave
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I saw that Rob was fired with the cowboys his D ranked 14th and 19th and the story said "Ryan's future might not be as safely mapped out as he believes, at least if he's looking for a lateral move. It's hard to ignore the fact that none of Ryan's teams have posted a winning record in his nine years as a defensive coordinator."

prough91
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Gunther Cunningham. Let's get the band back together.

jason1981
01-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Yeah i saw that report about rob ryans teams but was the records because of his defense or the teams offense.

If we stay with the 3-4 then i would take a hard look at him.

N TX Dave
01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
Lets put it this way we were the 8th worse scoring defense giving up 425 points and Dallas was 9th giving up 400 points. In 2011 Dallas was 17th worse giving up 347 and we were 21st giving up 338. I know there are other things than scoring defense but to me that is the bottom line for defenses.

nigeriannightmare
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
How do you all feel about rob Ryan. Team was decimated by injuries five starters, 2 backups. He got the short end if you ask me? How Garrett gets to keep his job is kinda strange.

jason1981
01-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Hey nigeriannightmar. Do you realize you asking a question that is already being discussed if you read the post before yours? Its on the subject then you ask about him again. Just curious.

whackojacko58
01-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Hey nigeriannightmar. Do you realize you asking a question that is already being discussed if you read the post before yours? Its on the subject then you ask about him again. Just curious.

That

nigeriannightmare
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Nope didn't even see it. That's what a bottle of rumpy does to you the night before. My bad boys and girls wasn't even remotely paying attention. Yeah I don't think I want him either. How many times can you get fired from a job. It's not because he's a standout employee for sure.

N TX Dave
01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I will give him one thing he does make great sound bights for the media. I have watched him here in Dallas the last two years and his defense has never struck me as anything special. To have never coached on a winning team is strange.

jason1981
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Is there anyone in pittburg that we can pick to be our def cord? There 3-4 and i always liked there blitz happy def.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Hi, I'm an Andy Reid fan from Philly and a new Chiefs fan (started another thread about that). Let me chime in on Rob Ryan, who was a def coordinator in my Eagles' division. He's not an Andy Reid guy. Reid just had a bad experience with Jim Washburn, a loud mouth, opinionated, old school defensive coach. He fired him and won't go through that again. Not saying that Rob Ryan is a bad guy, but he doesn't strike me as some one who would march in line with coach Reid. His dad punched an offensive coordinator once on national TV because he was throwing too much. The Ryan brothers are a lot like their dad. If Reid wants to open up the offense and move the ball up and down the field, he doesn't want to be arguing with an opinionated, old school defensive coordinator who will want him to run the ball to burn time off the clock. Rob Ryan might turn out to be a good coach for some one, but he's not an Andy Reid type of guy, imo.

LargoChief
01-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Francisco, i owe you a beer.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-10-2013, 11:37 AM
LOL Largo Chief, sounds good, but you might have a long commute to Philly to buy me that beer.

ctchiefsfan
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome Francisco!

And thanks for the warning on Rob Ryan. I really think that DC is going to be one of the most important selections that Reid makes. So often on an offense-oriented team the defense becomes the "red head stepchild" while almost all efforts are focused on overwhelming opposing teams with points. Sometimes it works, but not all that often. On the other hand that same offense-oriented team with an average to above average defense can be almost unbeatable. While our defense looked pretty poor as far as stats this year, I don't think they were half as bad as the end-of-year numbers suggest. Has to be very hard on a defense when they know that their offense probably won't score 14 points in a game and then watched that same offense turning the ball over with a collection of interceptions, fumbles and 3 and outs.

Give our defense a good DC and an offense that can score points and at least get a few 1st downs when they don't score so that the opposing offense gets the ball down in their end of the field rather than at midfield and I think our defense can be very effective.

I know Reid is offense-oriented, I just hope he gets a good DC and gives him enough support in keeping free agents and in the draft so that we can limit teams to few enough points so that Reid's offense can score enough points so that we start winning some games.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah, well Big Red is red headed himself, so maybe a red headed step child is a good thing.

He had a great one with Jim Johnson. But after that, obviously they had some problems. So after they figure out the GM situation, that's gonna be the next big thing.

ctchiefsfan
01-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Mark my words.....

If Reid gives the team a good offense that scores some points and at least moves the chains a few times when they don't then our D will look pretty good. Not world class, but miles better than they looked this year.

Success breeds success. Defeat feeds on itself and breeds faster than rats.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
That sounds good ctchiefsfan. Andy Reid will build a culture of winning in Kansas City. The players will expect to win, on both sides of the ball.

ctchiefsfan
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
If Reid can do that then the "Reid Era" will be very fondly remembered for a looooong time amongst Chiefs fans. We are nowhere near as bad a team as we appeared this year. Truth be told, I don't think there is a team in the NFL that would have looked good with the GM, coaches and coordinators we had this year.

brdempsey69
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
If Reid can do that then the "Reid Era" will be very fondly remembered for a looooong time amongst Chiefs fans. We are nowhere near as bad a team as we appeared this year. Truth be told, I don't think there is a team in the NFL that would have looked good with the GM, coaches and coordinators we had this year.

.....and QB's and receivers not catching passes that they should have.

ctchiefsfan
01-10-2013, 04:15 PM
.....and QB's and receivers not catching passes that they should have.

I attribute a lot of that to the coaches and coordinators. IMO our coaches and coordinators have simply not instilled in out players a drive for excellence. It's kind of like that kid we all knew in school who was REALLY REALLY SMART but he never did much better than Cs. He knew he didn't have to try too hard to perform acceptably for the teacher and so he just did the minimum he had to to not get in trouble. Our coaches and coordinators have just not been good motivators. The players that have shined for us recently are guys that just naturally demand of themselves that they be the best of the best.

DB is a perfect example. He knows that without trying to terribly hard he is going to be an upper echelon receiver. No coach has convinced him that he really needs to go all out to be the very best receiver in the league so he just doesn't try all that hard.

If Tony Gonzales had dropped some of the passes that DB drops on a regular basis he would have been wild with rage at himself. When was the last time any of us saw DB really angry with himself? I don't recall it. Our coaches and coordinators have made mediocrity acceptable for a lot of our players.

And ultimately I think that is our biggest problem.

N TX Dave
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
I attribute a lot of that to the coaches and coordinators. IMO our coaches and coordinators have simply not instilled in out players a drive for excellence. It's kind of like that kid we all knew in school who was REALLY REALLY SMART but he never did much better than Cs. He knew he didn't have to try too hard to perform acceptably for the teacher and so he just did the minimum he had to to not get in trouble. Our coaches and coordinators have just not been good motivators. The players that have shined for us recently are guys that just naturally demand of themselves that they be the best of the best.

DB is a perfect example. He knows that without trying to terribly hard he is going to be an upper echelon receiver. No coach has convinced him that he really needs to go all out to be the very best receiver in the league so he just doesn't try all that hard.

If Tony Gonzales had dropped some of the passes that DB drops on a regular basis he would have been wild with rage at himself. When was the last time any of us saw DB really angry with himself? I don't recall it. Our coaches and coordinators have made mediocrity acceptable for a lot of our players.

And ultimately I think that is our biggest problem.
Did you go to school with me? Cause that is me to a T while was I school, I was bored and not motivated so I did just enough to get by.

ctchiefsfan
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Did you go to school with me? Cause that is me to a T while was I school, I was bored and not motivated so I did just enough to get by.

I doubt it, but I was pretty much the same way. All through grade school and High School there were very few teachers that motivated me to work hard and I could mostly do OK without working hard, so I seldom did.

I see the same thing as a big problem with our Chiefs right now.

N TX Dave
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I doubt it, but I was pretty much the same way. All through grade school and High School there were very few teachers that motivated me to work hard and I could mostly do OK without working hard, so I seldom did.

I see the same thing as a big problem with our Chiefs right now.

I agree you 100% about the problem, no one looked motivated last year they were just going through the motions and collecting their check. There were a few that put out the effort but very few.

It looks like you are old school, you have been a Chiefs fan for over 40 years and Willie is your favorite player, so we might have gone to school together in the '50s and 60's :smile

ctchiefsfan
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
It looks like you are old school, you have been a Chiefs fan for over 40 years and Willie is your favorite player, so we might have gone to school together in the '50s and 60's :smile

Yeah....Chiefs fan from the late '60s. But always here on the East Coast. Those players were all my heroes. Buchanan, Bell, Podolak, Lanier, Taylor, Stenerud, Dawson and so many more.....It seemed that each and every one of them fully expected himself to win each and every game by himself. It's a team game, but each and every player needs to play as if he thinks the success or failure of the team DEPENDS on him playing BEYOND his capabilities. Playing beyond their capabilities is what the coach and coordinators need to instill in the players.

Chiefs fanatic
01-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Sounds like Bob Sutton might be the new DC.

N TX Dave
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah....Chiefs fan from the late '60s. But always here on the East Coast. Those players were all my heroes. Buchanan, Bell, Podolak, Lanier, Taylor, Stenerud, Dawson and so many more.....It seemed that each and every one of them fully expected himself to win each and every game by himself. It's a team game, but each and every player needs to play as if he thinks the success or failure of the team DEPENDS on him playing BEYOND his capabilities. Playing beyond their capabilities is what the coach and coordinators need to instill in the players.

Those were the days those players were something special. The player I was impressed with the most was TE Fred Arbanas who was blind in one eye. Can you imagine trying to catch a ball with only one eye, you have no depth perception. He held the Chiefs record for TE for receptions and yards until Tony came along.

chiefnut
01-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Sounds like Bob Sutton might be the new DC.

i read that on arrowhead pride, they felt was more than just rumor and that he likes the 3-4 D

ctchiefsfan
01-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Those were the days those players were something special. The player I was impressed with the most was TE Fred Arbanas who was blind in one eye. Can you imagine trying to catch a ball with only one eye, you have no depth perception. He held the Chiefs record for TE for receptions and yards until Tony came along.

So many great players from those days! And compared to many of today's "greats" they did it for comparatively little money. And the players then had far greater "team loyalty" than today's players do. It was more fun being a fan of a certain team back then. That's why back then I was both a Chiefs fan and a football fan. Today I pay little attention to football outside of the Chiefs.

But I will go to my grave as a Chiefs fan.

:chiefs::chiefs::chiefs:

chiefnut
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM

So many great players from those days! And compared to many of today's "greats" they did it for comparatively little money. And the players then had far greater "team loyalty" than today's players do. It was more fun being a fan of a certain team back then. That's why back then I was both a Chiefs fan and a football fan. Today I pay little attention to football outside of the Chiefs.

and they all really hated the raiders too, made for some great games and a really bitter rivalry. how about Podolaks game against the fins, no one ever gave more or had more heart, or EJ Hollup playing w/a broken jaw....had to have a special helmet made. what defenses w/ Lanier, Culp, Lynch, Bell,Bown, Mays Buchannon, Emmit Thomsas, Fred Williamson, johnny Robinson,Marsailis,Kearney derron Cherry just to name a few.
how about Otis Taylor taking on ben davidson when that dirty #@$%$#@$ speared Lenny in the back well after he was already down.
Mike Garrett, Robert Holmes, Wendel Hayes,Taylor, Pitts, Mclinton, the Great Lenny Dawson, Ed Budde, Jim Tyrer, Hill, Moorman on offense,
yeah those were the good old days

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM

For me, the best of times was the late 60's and the rivalry between the AFL and NFL. The merger that happened in '66 was a good thing, but the re-alignment of the two leagues into one league in 1970 SUCKED and I hated it then and still don't like it to this day.

Considering that the Chiefs had a 5-2 post season record during the AFL days and have had a 3-12 post season record since the 1970 re-alignment, it becomes easy to understand why I don't like it to this day.

N TX Dave
01-11-2013, 05:05 PM
I think part of our problems are the Municipal Stadium jinx the longest game was the last game played at the stadium and our playoff record has suffered ever since. If we could have won that game our playoff record would be better. You do not want to leave a field to go to a new one on a losing note.

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I think part of our problems are the Municipal Stadium jinx the longest game was the last game played at the stadium and our playoff record has suffered ever since. If we could have won that game our playoff record would be better. You do not want to leave a field to go to a new one on a losing note.

It's worth noting that during the AFL days in the 60's, the Chiefs never played a post-season game at home. Not once.

I wish that stinking '71 Dec. 25th playoff game against Miami had never happened.

N TX Dave
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
It's worth noting that during the AFL days in the 60's, the Chiefs never played a post-season game at home. Not once.

I wish that stinking '71 Dec. 25th playoff game against Miami had never happened.

So the only playoff game at the Stadium, which was the Christmas day with Miami game and the last game played there, they lost. I did not realize that no wonder the jinx is around, we need to figure out a way to break the jinx.
We did win the first two playoff games at Arrowhead the first was in 91 and again in 94 and have lost the 4 since then, so there have only been 6 playoff games in Arrowhead in 35 years and only 2 wins at home in 50 years in KC with 5 loses, unbelievable.

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 06:06 PM
So the only playoff game at the Stadium, which was the Christmas day with Miami game and the last game played there, they lost. I did not realize that no wonder the jinx is around, we need to figure out a way to break the jinx.
We did win the first two playoff games at Arrowhead the first was in 91 and again in 94 and have lost the 4 since then, so there have only been 6 playoff games in Arrowhead in 35 years and only 2 wins at home in 50 years in KC with 5 loses, unbelievable.

One other note of interest. The Chiefs went unbeaten at home in '71, '95, '97, and 2003 during the regular season & hosted their opening playoff game at home all 4 times and lost all 4 times.

In 1969, they were 6-1 at home, losing only to the Raiders 27-24. They beat the Raiders at Oakland 17-7 in the final AFL Championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl. In 1993, they went 7-1 at home and won 2 play off games. Same thing in '62, '66, and '91 -- they didn't win all their home regular season games, but managed to win in the post-season. Weird.

Chiefster
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Who for Defensive Coordinator...

Oooo,oooo, oooo!! I know, I know...Bob Sutton!! :D

ctchiefsfan
01-11-2013, 11:46 PM

A very good point! Like any "old-time" Chiefs fan I hate the Raiders with an undying passion....but in the end I will never feel right until we beat those damned fish from Miami for an AFC Championship or they get sold, move to another city and get a new name.

We gotta make that Christmas day game right before we will ever win another SuperBowl.

Revenge is a meal best eaten cold.....but it is getting to be a LOOOOOOOONG time now.

N TX Dave
01-12-2013, 01:44 AM
A very good point! Like any "old-time" Chiefs fan I hate the Raiders with an undying passion....but in the end I will never feel right until we beat those damned fish from Miami for an AFC Championship or they get sold, move to another city and get a new name.

We gotta make that Christmas day game right before we will ever win another SuperBowl.

Revenge is a meal best eaten cold.....but it is getting to be a LOOOOOOOONG time now.

Oh I agree I HATE the Raiders my two favorite teams are the Chiefs and whoever is playing the Raiders. Now that Manning went to Denver and would not even lower himself to talk to us they are bringing up a close second I hated old horse face and more so now that he got Manning, the only saving grace is just how many years can Manning left have he is 36 and then hopefully the Broncos will go to the bottom of the west with Raiders?

I sure hope the Chiefs win another SB before I die I am over the hill and on Social Security so hopefully Reid does it for me, I can not hang on for too many more back to the starting line for the Chiefs with new GM and/or HC. At least I am old enough to have see them win one SB that more than most of the people still working in here younger than 50 at least.

MyManHali
01-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Oh I agree I HATE the Raiders my two favorite teams are the Chiefs and whoever is playing the Raiders. Now that Manning went to Denver and would not even lower himself to talk to us they are bringing up a close second I hated old horse face and more so now that he got Manning, the only saving grace is just how many years can Manning left have he is 36 and then hopefully the Broncos will go to the bottom of the west with Raiders?

I sure hope the Chiefs win another SB before I die I am over the hill and on Social Security so hopefully Reid does it for me, I can not hang on for too many more back to the starting line for the Chiefs with new GM and/or HC. At least I am old enough to have see them win one SB that more than most of the people still working in here younger than 50 at least.

Atleast the games will be exciting witih Reid, no more of this run run run run run run PA pass crap.

nigeriannightmare
01-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Atleast the games will be exciting witih Reid, no more of this run run run run run run PA pass crap.

No more draws on 3rd and 9.

brdempsey69
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM

I also was lucky enough to watch the Chiefs play the year they won the SB in 1969. I'll never forget the last AFL Championship game played on Jan. 4, 1970 at Oakland. The Chiefs front 4 put Raiders QB ( and league MVP ) Daryle Lamonica under the hardest rush he had seen all year. Here is Jerry Mays getting in his face in the pic below.

http://www.brdempsey69.com/chiefs69.jpg

Chiefster
01-12-2013, 06:53 PM
I also was lucky enough to watch the Chiefs play the year they won the SB in 1969. I'll never forget the last AFL Championship game played on Jan. 4, 1970 at Oakland. The Chiefs front 4 put Raiders QB ( and league MVP ) Daryle Lamonica under the hardest rush he had seen all year. Here is Jerry Mays getting in his face in the pic below.

http://www.brdempsey69.com/chiefs69.jpg

That was hardcore roughneck football right there!

brdempsey69
01-12-2013, 07:49 PM

That's right. I can't truthfully say that football is a more entertaining game today, then back then. Less barbaric, perhaps.

ctchiefsfan
01-12-2013, 10:15 PM

That was back when Chiefs linemen ate babies for breakfast and BBQ'd quarterbacks for lunch. Our defense just about chased Lamonica out of the NFL.

We're going to get there again.