PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid fan from Philly

FranciscoD'anconia
01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Hello all. I'm new here. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a huge Andy Reid fan from Philly, and having been disappointed in the way the Philadelphia media and fan base had treated him for 14 years, I guess that makes me a Chiefs fan. Still an Eagles fan, so I guess I'm just fortunate to have two favorite teams now. I look forward to studying and getting to know your team in the off season and watching the Chiefs play this fall. I hope to learn a little more about the players on this site and maybe I can share some info and insight with regard to coach Reid, who I know a lot about. Go Chiefs!

brdempsey69
01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Hello Francisco, and I understand where you are coming from regarding Reid. I had felt the same way as a 10-year old kid back in 1970 when the Chiefs let RB Mike Garrett go to SD after the 4th game of that season & had nothing but the utmost respect for the Chargers while Garrett was playing for them ( and incidentally, Garrett scored 7 TD's in the next 6 meetings between the Chiefs-Chargers ).

N TX Dave
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the group.

On the offensive side it starts with Jamal Charles one of if not the best RB in the AFC, WR as a group are not that good too many dropped balls that they get their hands on. I watch other teams and wonder why our WR can't make catches like that.

Defense has a few stars on it OLB Tamba Hali, S Eric Berry and ILB Derrick Johnson all made the Pro Bowl The other OLB Justin Huston is starting to come into his own.

There are a few others that can play on both sides of the ball. I think next year we will have a much better team if Andy chooses good assistants not necessary playoffs, even only if the coaches have better game plans and play calling.

Polleo Pit Man
01-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Welcome! Glad we got Reid!! Once a Chiefs Fan, its hard to be much else! This offseason should be very exciting! Not only for the Chiefs , but a lot of teams. I think Andy is a great fit for us and look foward to the future Super Bowl apearances!

FranciscoD'anconia
01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks Dave! As a Penn State grad, I know all about Tamba Hali. Look forward to rooting for him at the NFL level.

Don't let Philly area Reid haters scare you into thinking that Reid will waste Charles' talent. The myth that Reid won't run the ball is simply untrue. If you look up the stats, Andy Reid's Eagles run the ball to within one or two percentage points of the league average every year and have always had RBs (LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley) ranked near the league leaders.

Charles is lightening quick with good hands. Reid will be brilliant at playing chess with the opposing defensive coordinator, moving Charles around the field and creating mismatches in the passing game. They go into nickel, then he'll give it to Charles who will have one less LB to contend with. They go into base, he'll move him all over the place and get him isolated on a safety or LB who will be a physical mismatch and Reid will know how to exploit it. You guys will put up some big numbers this year. Just need a QB, as you all already know.

drstandley31
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Francisco, that's fun to say.

nigeriannightmare
01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks Dave! As a Penn State grad, I know all about Tamba Hali. Look forward to rooting for him at the NFL level.

Don't let Philly area Reid haters scare you into thinking that Reid will waste Charles' talent. The myth that Reid won't run the ball is simply untrue. If you look up the stats, Andy Reid's Eagles run the ball to within one or two percentage points of the league average every year and have always had RBs (LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley) ranked near the league leaders.

Charles is lightening quick with good hands. Reid will be brilliant at playing chess with the opposing defensive coordinator, moving Charles around the field and creating mismatches in the passing game. They go into nickel, then he'll give it to Charles who will have one less LB to contend with. They go into base, he'll move him all over the place and get him isolated on a safety or LB who will be a physical mismatch and Reid will know how to exploit it. You guys will put up some big numbers this year. Just need a QB, as you all already know.

Excellent post bro! Welcome to the crowd. My only concern is Andy Reid of the last two years. Would you say he had total control of personnel like he will have here? And if so what can you attribute the poor showing the last two years. Also concerning was the moving Castillo to DC?

2010chiefs
01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the Crowd and Go Chiefs!

FranciscoD'anconia
01-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah I can shed some light on all of that.

First, he actually will have less control in KC. From what I gathered at the press conf, there will be a yet to be determined GM who will be considered on an equal level to Reid and they will both report to the owner. In Philly, GM Howie Rosemen reported to Reid who only reported to the owner.

The Juan Castillo thing is interesting. Here's what happened. In 2010 the Eagles got almost no sack production from their defensive line, even though the team was otherwise very good. To make matters worse, they saw two players who they had just cut (Jason Babin and Chris Clemons) go on to put up double digit sack numbers and make probowls with their new teams. Was this poor talent evaluation or poor coaching on the defensive line? They concluded that it was poor coaching on the defensive line, so they fired their defensive line coach and defensive coordinator and made it a priority to get a good defensive line coach.

They made the mistake of getting the line coach before the coordinator. They brought in Jim Washburn who had a track record of coaching all pros like Haynesworth, Jevon Kearse and Jason Babin and turning them into all pros, while those same guys struggled with other teams. So they figured he'd work the same magic in Philly. They hired him before getting a defensive coordinator, which was the mistake. Reid interviewed like 12 candidates for the def coordinator job, but the first 11 turned them down because they didn't want Washburn on their staff (he's a bit of a jerk, supposedly). Reid was stuck with his 12th choice, Juan Castillo.

That having been said, Castillo was made to be the scapegoat, but it wasn't really his fault to the degree that the media makes it out to be. Washburn being a divisive locker room presence, combined with over priced, washed up free agent bums like Nnamdi Asomougha, Jason Babin, Dominic Rogers Cromartie, etc... and others, all had a lot more to do with the defensive collapse than Juan Castillo.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-09-2013, 10:00 PM
One more thing, about the last two years. Reid had a couple of bad drafts in between the glory years and the most recent draft. This is a big reason why they were bad the last two seasons. However, owner Jeff Lurie hinted in his news conference where he released coach Reid, that former head of operations Joe Banner had a lot to do with picking the players in those drafts and that in the most recent draft Reid and new GM Roseman picked the players. As bad as the Eagles were this last season, their rookie class was the best of any I've ever seen all my years following the Eagles, and I go back to the Dick Vermeil era in the late 70s. This was a monster rookie class. Whatever he did to address how he drafts players, it worked. But several other poor drafts prior to that, that Banner supposedly had more to do with, resulted in not having enough guys in their prime.

Ryfo18
01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
One more thing, about the last two years. Reid had a couple of bad drafts in between the glory years and the most recent draft. This is a big reason why they were bad the last two seasons. However, owner Jeff Lurie hinted in his news conference where he released coach Reid, that former head of operations Joe Banner had a lot to do with picking the players in those drafts and that in the most recent draft Reid and new GM Roseman picked the players. As bad as the Eagles were this last season, their rookie class was the best of any I've ever seen all my years following the Eagles, and I go back to the Dick Vermeil era in the late 70s. This was a monster rookie class. Whatever he did to address how he drafts players, it worked. But several other poor drafts prior to that, that Banner supposedly had more to do with, resulted in not having enough guys in their prime.

Love your input! Welcome to the crowd!

Question? How are the Philly fans (I only know what I read, and it's never good lol). But I'm sure the few bad ones make everyone else look bad. I only ask b/c KC plays in Philly next year and I'd love to make it out there for the game.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
They are everything you read about in the national media. I'm a Philly fan, and I like to think that I'm OK, and I like to think my friends are OK, but yeah, what you read in the media is 100% correct about most of 'em.

Do NOT wear your Chiefs jersey. Not trying to scare ya, but you literally would be putting your life on the line. A Bulls fan was shot on the subway after a Sixers game for wearing a Bulls jersey a couple weeks ago. People get assaulted all the time for that type of thing.

That having been said, the Linc is a great stadium. Philly cheesesteaks are awesome! Go to the game. Enjoy the game. Just don't wear Chiefs stuff and keep the cheering to a minimum and you'll have a good time.

Ryfo18
01-09-2013, 10:39 PM
They are everything you read about in the national media. I'm a Philly fan, and I like to think that I'm OK, and I like to think my friends are OK, but yeah, what you read in the media is 100% correct about most of 'em.

Do NOT wear your Chiefs jersey. Not trying to scare ya, but you literally would be putting your life on the line. A Bulls fan was shot on the subway after a Sixers game for wearing a Bulls jersey a couple weeks ago. People get assaulted all the time for that type of thing.

That having been said, the Linc is a great stadium. Philly cheesesteaks are awesome! Go to the game. Enjoy the game. Just don't wear Chiefs stuff and keep the cheering to a minimum and you'll have a good time.

I'll probably just stay home then...Save my money. Thanks for the input.

LargoChief
01-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Cool to have you on board. I truly appreciate your insight as to Reid-isms and what really went down. I think that is cool of you to contribute.

Eydugstr
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the forum, Francisco! We'll definitely appreciate your insight to Reid.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Is there a good sports news source that anyone has a link for? I found the Kansas City Star. Is there anything else? I'm used to a million articles/day being written about the Eagles in the Philly media. Not that they always do good job writing them, but the quantity sure is there.

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Is there a good sports news source that anyone has a link for? I found the Kansas City Star. Is there anything else? I'm used to a million articles/day being written about the Eagles in the Philly media. Not that they always do good job writing them, but the quantity sure is there.

Not gonna happen here. Which is why i think you will see a rebirth of Andy Reid in KC he won't have the media to even remotely worry about it.

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Francisco a quick question for you. What do you think about Matt Nagy. I see he has had ties to the eagles for some time now and is offensive quality coach? Maybe wrong on that one. What does he bring to the table as we are in dire need of a good QB coach.

Ryfo18
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Arrowheadpride.com is pretty good.

N TX Dave
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM

I will 2nd that I read it daily, I do not read most of the comments because they are the same as in here and I have never added a comment.

There is also a Facebook group called chiefs crowd that is pretty active.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah Matt Nagy is a really under the radar guy. I know he was a nobody QB who was in training camp a few years back and I don't think he ever made the team but has been on the staff.

When Reid first came to Philly he had a lot of young, bright, up and coming coaches on his staff and it worked. Then in the later years it seemed like he was bringing in veteran coaches and it didn't. He might be trying to do it the way he initially did in Philly, by identifying bright, young, energetic guys like Nagy and Pederson. Don't forget, Reid himself will pretty run the offense.

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Yeah Matt Nagy is a really under the radar guy. I know he was a nobody QB who was in training camp a few years back and I don't think he ever made the team but has been on the staff.

When Reid first came to Philly he had a lot of young, bright, up and coming coaches on his staff and it worked. Then in the later years it seemed like he was bringing in veteran coaches and it didn't. He might be trying to do it the way he initially did in Philly, by identifying bright, young, energetic guys like Nagy and Pederson. Don't forget, Reid himself will pretty run the offense.

Then what role will Childress play. Putting pederson on a short leash it would seem.

And man I can barely stand it when it comes to DC must be a positional coach in the playoffs I guess. I really hope he doesn't bring the 70 yr old kiffin in. You know of any other ties he may have to this position.

jap1
01-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Then what role will Childress play. Putting pederson on a short leash it would seem.

And man I can barely stand it when it comes to DC must be a positional coach in the playoffs I guess. I really hope he doesn't bring the 70 yr old kiffin in. You know of any other ties he may have to this position.

I have heard the cowgirls are interested in kiffin.

nigeriannightmare
01-10-2013, 06:57 PM
I have heard the cowgirls are interested in kiffin.

All I'm gonna say is thank god Jerry jones is not Jerry jones

OTR Chiefs fan
01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
I am so glad to see the Chiefs step up, go after, and land a high reputation coach. Here in the past it seems they have gotten coaches that were conveneitly available (Crennel), no head coaching experience (Haley) or no proven track record (Crennel, Edwards). I applaud Clark Hunt for his efforts in wanting to change the culture of this team. From a losing and just getting by culture to a winning culture. Even when he hired Pioli, even though it didn't work out, it showed me that he wanted to change the attitude of the Chiefs organization. And by following up with the Reid hire it just confirms it in my mind.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah Nigeriannightmare, "Short leash". That's a good way to put it. He might believe that the young, up and coming guy (Pederson) had more upside than the old vet (Childress) and wants to give him a shot, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan B. He did the same thing with bringing Todd Bowles, former interim head coach of the Dolphins, to be the secondary coach last year, so that if he had to fire Juan Castillo he had a plan B. So, he knows that Childress can run his offense. He thinks that Pederson can run it better, but he won't be sure until he does it. If it doesn't work, then plan B is already in place.

Defensive coordinator is the tricky part. The answers to your question would have been Ron Rivera, head coach of the Panthers, who was rumored to have been close to getting fired, and if so was lined up and ready to go to be Reid's DC and also Steve Spagnulo. Spagnulo was brilliant as the DC of the Giants when they beat the Patriots, but bombed as head coach of the Rams and is with the Saints now. However, he's under contract with them and the Saints defense wasn't so good this year, so he might have lost it.

Those are the two obvious ones. They're both part of the Andy Reid coaching tree, but neither of them appears to be going anywhere. So we're looking at a surprise. I'm sure he has something in mind. But it'll probably be a surprise to the rest of us.