PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2013 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings - QBs

EmDiggy
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
2013 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings - QBs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkfwqFuEJc)

Good afternoon Chiefs fans! Here's my QB Rankings video for the upcoming NFL Draft

Enjoy!

Em

FranciscoD'anconia
01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Geno looks great. Only concern is that moving through the progressions thing. I noticed that watching him as well. Vick had a major problem with this, and although Reid was able to coach him up and get him a little better at it, Vick never really learned to do that well and it led to a lot of sacks and turnovers. I hope that Smith is young enough to break bad habits and learn to do that.

N TX Dave
01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I have read that about Geno before on other draft ratings, I want our next QB to be able to make progressions and not lock in on one player so if he is covered doesn't know what to do, we saw what that gets you the last few years. To me that is one thing an elite QB can do and most good QBs can't do.

FranciscoD'anconia
01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah if you just youtube "Geno Smith Highlights" you see him lock in on the QB on every play. And those are the HIGHTLIGHTS! You do the same with Luck or RGIII or whatever, and it looks totally different. Now, maybe that's coachable, whereas the other things he brings to the table are natural gift type things that can't be taught, and therefor it might be a great investment, but it certainly is a worry.

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the vid EmDiggy.

This isn't a "weak" QB class as many have suggested. What you do not have are the "tilt the field" type guys like Luck and RG III that were the best players in the draft regardless of position.

But, there are many good QB prospects. It's hoped that the Chiefs can trade down & land Smith or Wilson. It depends on if there are any takers that want to trade up.

At least the Chiefs have a HC, that we know will do a good job of evaluating these QB prospects.

nigeriannightmare
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the vid EmDiggy.

This isn't a "weak" QB class as many have suggested. What you do not have are the "tilt the field" type guys like Luck and RG III that were the best players in the draft regardless of position.

But, there are many good QB prospects. It's hoped that the Chiefs can trade down & land Smith or Wilson. It depends on if there are any takers that want to trade up.

At least the Chiefs have a HC, that we know will do a good job of evaluating these QB prospects.

If you can, I think kcchiefs.com is playing the radio interview with Clark and Reid, you should listen. Clark flat out said no clear cut number one qb. You take that into account with what Reid said with Jim Rome about cassel it's gotta make you think. It very well could be slight of hand trying to goat a team to trade but......

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
If you can, I think kcchiefs.com is playing the radio interview with Clark and Reid, you should listen. Clark flat out said no clear cut number one qb. You take that into account with what Reid said with Jim Rome about cassel it's gotta make you think. It very well could be slight of hand trying to goat a team to trade but......

Poker playing for sure & they are doing the right thing not tipping their hand. Regarding Cassel, it will be interesting to see what happens with him. Many Chiefs fans want him gone, but by the same token, the Chiefs don't have any veteran QB's as of right now, so it's a mixed bag.

I agree with Clark regarding no clear-cut #1 QB. I believe they are doing the right no locking into one guy. There is still 3+ months to go prior to the draft and a lot can happen.

Chiefster
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Great info Em, and presented nicely! Thanks for keeping on top of the QB situation a crossed the nation!

fairladyZ
01-11-2013, 03:31 PM
You lost me when you put barkley as your 7th rated QB, He's leaps and bounds better than Glennon, Nassib, and Bray. His arm is underrated as he's a touch passer and one knock on him is he rely's to much on touch passes for his deep balls. His athletiscm is underrated as he is pretty good at escaping the pocket and buying time with his feet to find the open WR, not to mention he is by far the best in this draft at throwing on the run. And he is also leaps and bounds better at going thru progressions and calling/changing the play at the line depending on reads. You say he struggles against the blitz, do you think maybe thats because his line was a siv and couldn't even stop a defensive line without a blitz? Smith, Wilson, Barkley are the top 3 in this draft by far with no real winner at this point, now some of the others like bray, glennon, nassib are projects and could have a huge ceiling but as of right now they all lack in alot of departments.

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
You lost me when you put barkley as your 7th rated QB, He's leaps and bounds better than Glennon, Nassib, and Bray. His arm is underrated as he's a touch passer and one knock on him is he rely's to much on touch passes for his deep balls. His athletiscm is underrated as he is pretty good at escaping the pocket and buying time with his feet to find the open WR, not to mention he is by far the best in this draft at throwing on the run. And he is also leaps and bounds better at going thru progressions and calling/changing the play at the line depending on reads. You say he struggles against the blitz, do you think maybe thats because his line was a siv and couldn't even stop a defensive line without a blitz? Smith, Wilson, Barkley are the top 3 in this draft by far with no real winner at this point, now some of the others like bray, glennon, nassib are projects and could have a huge ceiling but as of right now they all lack in alot of departments.

For Barkley, it's going to depend on the combine and his workouts. It would be great if he can get his stock back up.

fairladyZ
01-11-2013, 03:36 PM
for those that ? barkley's arm strength when he does actually use it..

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1495379/barkley.gif

62 yards thru the air and damn near on a line. no rainbow like he usually throws trying to touch pass his WR's down field

fairladyZ
01-11-2013, 03:39 PM
For Barkley, it's going to depend on the combine and his workouts. It would be great if he can get his stock back up.

Oh definitely, now i'm not at all saying we should take barkley at 1 but i think the kid has all the tools, he definitly has the mental side of the game down, he's a field general and is the undisputed leader of his team, and he's a standup class act off the field aswell. Hope he kills it at the combine and workouts and brings it back up

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
for those that ? barkley's arm strength when he does actually use it..

62 yards thru the air and damn near on a line. no rainbow like he usually throws trying to touch pass his WR's down field

The question is just how severe was his injury and will Barkley be fully recovered from it by the time the combine rolls around.

I'm not going to stereotype him with previous USC QB's because there isn't any more talk about him going #1 overall or in round 1 for that matter. 2nd round for Barkley might be great value.

fairladyZ
01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
i watched an interview with barkley just before their bowl game and he was hoping to play in it but ended up just falling short, no surgery or anything was needed just rest is what he said, and he also said there would be 0 effects of it in the future. So i think shoulder wise he's good to go. Hope he has good workouts.

There has been some mocks with barkley going late first round, if his stocks rise and he's there at #34 and we haven't taken a QB i'd be stoked if he fell to us.

whackojacko58
01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Cant wait to see geno smith in the red and gold i will not waiver!!

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Cant wait to see geno smith in the red and gold i will not waiver!!

Well, the combine could elevate Geno, no doubt. Just like it did Newton in 2011 and Bradford in 2010.

One thing we all agree on. Pioli ain't involved in the process this year & all us Chiefs fans are thankful for that.

Lord-Chiefy
01-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Barkley ....yup told you all 7th rd.. and you all laughed at me.....

brdempsey69
01-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Barkley ....yup told you all 7th rd.. and you all laughed at me.....

No, we did not laugh at you. We simply did not agree and EmDiggy said 3rd round, not 7th.

I'm starting to think that you like playing devil's advocate, but that's OK, it does make it entertaining.

Lord-Chiefy
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Lol..maybe...but I really don't like him and we should avoid usc qb like the plague. I'd rather get a veteran qb and draft one 2nd rd or move back in the 20's from our second and get maybe Wilson or geno...

whackojacko58
01-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, the combine could elevate Geno, no doubt. Just like it did Newton in 2011 and Bradford in 2010.

One thing we all agree on. Pioli ain't involved in the process this year & all us Chiefs fans are thankful for that.

Yes sir!

KCCF
01-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Lol..maybe...but I really don't like him and we should avoid usc qb like the plague. I'd rather get a veteran qb and draft one 2nd rd or move back in the 20's from our second and get maybe Wilson or geno...

So you should avoid players because of the school they go to is what you're saying?

AkChief49
01-11-2013, 10:56 PM
So you should avoid players because of the school they go to is what you're saying?
No, just USC qb's :D

N TX Dave
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Here is a list of QB from USC that played in NFL not too many good ones on it.

Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty.

AkChief49
01-11-2013, 11:42 PM

Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty.
Not a one of them made it to the big one.

Lord-Chiefy
01-12-2013, 12:51 AM
See ///^^

70 chiefsfan70
01-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Hmmm Don't think I've heard of any of those guys! Did you say they played QB?

N TX Dave
01-12-2013, 12:59 PM

I have heard of most of them they all were drafted as QB in the NFL, but none of them ever won the SB.

brdempsey69
01-12-2013, 01:03 PM

While a case can be made about no USC QB winning a SB, one could make a similar case that no Tennessee QB has won a SB outside of Peyton Manning, no Notre Dame QB outside of Joe Montana, no Michigan QB outside of Tom Brady, no Ole Miss QB outside Eli Manning, etc.

My point is, there is a 1st time for everything.

I still think Barkley would be a good value in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round if the Chiefs don't take a QB in round 1.

N TX Dave
01-12-2013, 01:10 PM
While a case can be made about no USC QB winning a SB, one could make a similar case that no Tennessee QB has won a SB outside of Peyton Manning, no Notre Dame QB outside of Joe Montana, no Michigan QB outside of Tom Brady, etc.

I still think Barkley would be a good value in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round if the Chiefs don't take a QB in round 1.

Yes but how many QB have been drafted from Tennessee and ND and Michigan? I bet not as many put together as USC. How many of those USC QB were good in the NFL? How many won 30 games in the NFL? I really don't care about it, I just think it is strange is all.

And yes I agree if he is still there in the 3rd round take him maybe in the second but that is only the 34th pick so it depends on the QB that have been drafted already.

brdempsey69
01-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Yes but how many QB have been drafted from Tennessee and ND and Michigan? I bet not as many put together as USC. How many of those USC QB were good in the NFL? How many won 30 games in the NFL? I really don't care about it, I just think it is strange is all.

And yes I agree if he is still there in the 3rd round take him maybe in the second but that is only the 34th pick so it depends on the QB that have been drafted already.

My leaning is towards Tyler Wilson as far the QB's in this draft. Arm strength, pocket awareness and poise, pin-point accuracy in the short and medium distance areas on a consistent basis ( something Cassel struggles with ), mobility, mental toughness -- he seems like the most complete package. I do love Geno's deep ball. He can throw that S.O.B. into a bucket. But, he's not helping his stock by skipping the Senior Bowl and Wilson and Glennon have a chance to elevate theirs.

N TX Dave
01-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I am not going to make my choice until after the combine, but really I will be fine with whoever Reid takes. I am even fine if he starts the year with Cassel I trust him with the QB decision. I just want better play from the QB and better play calling by the coaches, not so conservative run, run, pass or draw, punt.

brdempsey69
01-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I am not going to make my choice until after the combine, but really I will be fine with whoever Reid takes. I am even fine if he starts the year with Cassel I trust him with the QB decision. I just want better play from the QB and better play calling by the coaches, not so conservative run, run, pass or draw, punt.

I'm going to add to that. I want better play from their O-line and Defensive front 7. I don't care if people think they were OK last year, I still want better, because if that happens, watch this team become more competitive within their own division & they certainly have to first start there if they're going to have any post-season aspirations.

Eydugstr
01-13-2013, 04:45 AM
My leaning is towards Tyler Wilson as far the QB's in this draft. Arm strength, pocket awareness and poise, pin-point accuracy in the short and medium distance areas on a consistent basis ( something Cassel struggles with ), mobility, mental toughness -- he seems like the most complete package. I do love Geno's deep ball. He can throw that S.O.B. into a bucket. But, he's not helping his stock by skipping the Senior Bowl and Wilson and Glennon have a chance to elevate theirs.

My hope is that we take Wilson with the first, but if Barkley is around in the 2nd, take him as insurance. If Tyler works out, we can use the other qb as trade bait down the road.

Another idea is this...Franchise tag Bowe, but make the offer so low as to tempt other teams into matching it so we get their draft pick. Then we could definitely get two new QB's & a monster center to boot.

jap1
01-13-2013, 07:29 AM
My hope is that we take Wilson with the first, but if Barkley is around in the 2nd, take him as insurance. If Tyler works out, we can use the other qb as trade bait down the road.

Another idea is this...Franchise tag Bowe, but make the offer so low as to tempt other teams into matching it so we get their draft pick. Then we could definitely get two new QB's & a monster center to boot.

The franchise tag number is preset. We don't get to set the price, I believe it is 120% of what we paid him this year since we would be tagging him twice in a row.

70 chiefsfan70
01-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I just dont see Bowe being worthy of another franchise tag. Obviously we are in desperate need of 3 wrs but Bowe lack of effort does not put him in the top WR bracket nor should he be paid that. I do hope he stays and signs a 5 year deal, but noway would he get that kind of money from another team.

The truth is He was a big part of this years pathetic offense. He did not step up and show he can take on the leadership role.

swochief
01-13-2013, 09:55 AM

wow bad list of qbs. Palmer i believe was headed to great things till injuries derailed him.

Only two , maaaaybe 3 others would be serviceable place holders till you could get someone better. Peete would be a good vet backup , at least good enuff to keep the team from falling off the cliff if your starter went down.

N TX Dave
01-13-2013, 10:25 AM
wow bad list of qbs. Palmer i believe was headed to great things till injuries derailed him.

Only two , maaaaybe 3 others would be serviceable place holders till you could get someone better. Peete would be a good vet backup , at least good enuff to keep the team from falling off the cliff if your starter went down.

Not a very impressive list to say the least, even though it has a lot of names on it.

brdempsey69
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Indeed, double-dipping at the QB position in the draft is the right thing for this team to do.

I had suggested it long ago, and I'm glad to see Chiefs fans in general are seeing the common sense & logic to it. Washington did it last year & people criticized them for it, only to have Cousins make the critics look stupid.

swochief
01-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Indeed, double-dipping at the QB position in the draft is the right thing for this team to do.

I had suggested it long ago, and I'm glad to see Chiefs fans in general are seeing the common sense & logic to it. Washington did it last year & people criticized them for it, only to have Cousins make the critics look stupid.

I've said this year too. said it last year.

They need to do it this year and next. After that one a year till they get a franchise type and a solid backup that can come in and hold the team steady till the starter returns. Kinda like what pioli said but did not do.

AkChief49
01-14-2013, 12:49 AM
While a case can be made about no USC QB winning a SB, one could make a similar case that no Tennessee QB has won a SB outside of Peyton Manning, no Notre Dame QB outside of Joe Montana, no Michigan QB outside of Tom Brady, no Ole Miss QB outside Eli Manning, etc.

My point is, there is a 1st time for everything.

So, Joe Theismann does not count? Also Daryle Lamonica played in the 2nd Superbowl, but lost. Just sayin'

brdempsey69
01-14-2013, 01:54 AM
So, Joe Theismann does not count? Also Daryle Lamonica played in the 2nd Superbowl, but lost. Just sayin'

You are right. I completely forgot about Theismann and the Skins winning the SB in '82. Yes, I remember Lamonica in the 2nd SB as well.