PDA

View Full Version : Forum Update

Coach
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

I will be updating the forum software today. There will be periods of time where the forum may be down or look differently. I will be working as fast as possible to get us back up and running.

Thanks for your patience.

Coach
02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
It looks like the software has updated properly. Now it's time to give it a "Chiefs" feel.

N TX Dave
02-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Okay, it looks real clean, just have to get used to where the buttons are.

Coach
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I need a volunteer to test Facebook connectivity for me.
First thing you'll want to do is click on the Facebook connect button at the top of the screen. Secondly, reply to any post here on chiefscrowd but check the box that's says post to Facebook before submitting. Press submit and then let me know if you're poss was added to you're Facebook timeline.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chiefster
02-03-2013, 03:45 AM
I need a volunteer to test Facebook connectivity for me.
First thing you'll want to do is click on the Facebook connect button at the top of the screen. Secondly, reply to any post here on chiefscrowd but check the box that's says post to Facebook before submitting. Press submit and then let me know if you're poss was added to you're Facebook timeline.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Works like a Charm Coach! Although we seem to be missing the link taking us to the unread threads.

Chiefster
02-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Well, I may have spoke too soon. I checked my fb timeline and it didn't seem to have posted.

kcvet
02-03-2013, 09:28 AM
this is the ugraded 4.2.0 Vbulletin version. posting is different. nothing i haven't seen on other forums. the forum icons are missing. i just get a blank box with an X. also would like more skins. this is to bright. smileys are a bit small.

dl89
02-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Looking good, Coach. I gotta ask- did you really choose to do this on the morning of Super Bowl Sunday? If not, who screwed you?

Coach
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Looking good, Coach. I gotta ask- did you really choose to do this on the morning of Super Bowl Sunday? If not, who screwed you?
Made the change yesterday. I've been swamped with life so it got pushed back. In the last couple of months I updated the server, cms, and forum. It hasn't been done since 2004. It was way overdue. A larger percentage of the browsing nowadays is done via mobile. These new platforms are much more mobile friendly.

Thanks for eveyone's patience during the transition. I know there are links in different places, etc. But I think everyone will like this software much better after a few weeks.

kcvet
02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vM8Y3-5xg

vids go in different. but work

Chiefster
02-04-2013, 01:24 AM

Niceness! :D

Eydugstr
02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Looks great Coach! Thanks for all that you do!

Coach
02-05-2013, 01:08 AM
this is the ugraded 4.2.0 Vbulletin version. posting is different. nothing i haven't seen on other forums. the forum icons are missing. i just get a blank box with an X. also would like more skins. this is to bright. smileys are a bit small.
I have made the page a little less bright and removed some of the broken forum icons/images.

Coach
02-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi guys, I've made a few more layout changes. Let me know if you have ideas on changes or things you would like to see added.

Guru
02-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Any chance we could get a New Posts button at the bottom of the page so we don't have to scroll back to the top to get to it?

Coach
02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Good idea. I will work on it tonight.

doobs_05
02-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Just want to say i really enjoy the new layout, good job!

Chiefster
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Still not seeing the facebook feature working. I have posted several things checking the fb box but has yet to appear on my timeline. Does this feature only work for threads that you start?

Coach
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Just want to say i really enjoy the new layout, good job!Thanks doobs. I'm happy with it as well. I'm going to create a few more templates so people can choose their favorite color scheme.

Coach
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Any chance we could get a New Posts button at the bottom of the page so we don't have to scroll back to the top to get to it?
I have added it. Great idea. I'm surprised that it doesn't come that way out of the box.

« Previous Thread (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/22673-Forum-Update?goto=nextoldest) | New Posts (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post) | Next Thread (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php/22673-Forum-Update?goto=nextnewest) »

Coach
02-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Still not seeing the facebook feature working. I have posted several things checking the fb box but has yet to appear on my timeline. Does this feature only work for threads that you start?

This one has me stumped. It connects to the facebook account, but it doesn't post to the timeline. I have submitted a ticket to the support team.

Chiefster
02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
This one has me stumped. It connects to the facebook account, but it doesn't post to the timeline. I have submitted a ticket to the support team.

Yeah, I have noticed that with these features they provide that there are several lines of html code to incorporate within the initial line. I think if you miss one or don't incorporate it in the proper place than it may not work.

tornadospotter
02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Was able to log in, good sign, can find threads, good sign, can still post, works for me.

Chiefster
02-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Was able to log in, good sign, can find threads, good sign, can still post, works for me.

Life is good here on the Chiefs Crowd!

Chiefster
02-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Tried the fb ap again after seeing the fb button at the upper left hand corner again and clicking on it to restart the process. Still not working.

Chiefster
02-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Something else I've noticed trying out the menu buttons a crossed the top of the home page is that the "Chiefs Apparel" and "Team Info" sub menu links all take the user away from the site within the same browser tab. It would be better to have these URLs open up in either a different window or within a new tab on the same browser window. This way your not directing users completely away from the "Crowd".

tornadospotter
02-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Tried the fb ap again after seeing the fb button at the upper left hand corner again and clicking on it to restart the process. Still not working.
Testing!

tornadospotter
02-06-2013, 02:30 AM
Not posting to fb for me, but not sure if that is a bad thing.

Guru
02-06-2013, 02:43 AM
I have added it. Great idea. I'm surprised that it doesn't come that way out of the box.
Thanks Coach. Been wanting that since the beginning.

Chiefster
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
...Also, what about having the original (thread starter) post at the top of each page within the thread?

Coach
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Something else I've noticed trying out the menu buttons a crossed the top of the home page is that the "Chiefs Apparel" and "Team Info" sub menu links all take the user away from the site within the same browser tab. It would be better to have these URLs open up in either a different window or within a new tab on the same browser window. This way your not directing users completely away from the "Crowd".
I agree, but this wasn't an option on the stock version of the software. I will need to mod it at some point.

Coach
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Will you give it another shot?

Chiefster
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Will you give it another shot?

I'd be happy to bud! Testing...1,2,3..... :)

Chiefster
02-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Sorry Coach, there is no joy in Mudville.

Chiefster
02-07-2013, 01:02 AM
I agree, but this wasn't an option on the stock version of the software. I will need to mod it at some point.

Ahhh, Gotcha. Well, some education for those who may not know might be in order here. If folks don't want to navigate completely away from the "Crowd" then, most usually, if they "right click" on the tab or link then a drop down menu will appear and give you the option to open the desired web page in either a new tab or a different window. :D

Coach
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
This should be fixed now.

Chiefster
02-07-2013, 09:28 PM
This should be fixed now.

I tried it in FF, IE9, and Chrome and it still is taking me away from the site within the same browser window.

Coach
02-08-2013, 12:44 AM
I tried it in FF, IE9, and Chrome and it still is taking me away from the site within the same browser window.

try clearing cache maybe... It's working for me in safari and ff. haven't tried ie. are you talking about the link at the top of the page that says chiefs team information?

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 12:54 AM
try clearing cache maybe... It's working for me in safari and ff. haven't tried ie. are you talking about the link at the top of the page that says chiefs team information?

Yeah, that's the one. I'll try clearing out the cache and see if that works.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Actually I was speaking of the Team Info tab on the "Home" page. But, yeah, the Team Information link works great.

Guru
02-08-2013, 03:30 AM
I got so used to having to scroll to the top of the page to get to the New Posts button I have to continually remind myself NOT to do it now that we have the button in a more logical spot. :lol:

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 06:27 AM
I got so used to having to scroll to the top of the page to get to the New Posts button I have to continually remind myself NOT to do it now that we have the button in a more logical spot. :lol:

:lol:

Coach
02-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I got so used to having to scroll to the top of the page to get to the New Posts button I have to continually remind myself NOT to do it now that we have the button in a more logical spot. :lol:funny, I find myself doing the same thing. Such an easy change, and a great change. Can't believe it has to be a mod.

Chiefster
02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Just something else I've noticed which is not a big deal at all in anyway shape or form, in fact it is probably the very last thing on the list of priorities here. On the home page the arrowhead favicon does appear, however, when you navigate to the forums page the favicon changes to the V-Bulletin favicon. I'm probably the only one that would have noticed this and it does not in anyway bother me.

chiefnut
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
i don't even know what a favicon is !!!

Chiefster
02-09-2013, 02:38 AM
i don't even know what a favicon is !!!

:lol:

It's that little icon that appears on the browser tab located at the top of the window.

Coach
02-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Just something else I've noticed which is not a big deal at all in anyway shape or form, in fact it is probably the very last thing on the list of priorities here. On the home page the arrowhead favicon does appear, however, when you navigate to the forums page the favicon changes to the V-Bulletin favicon. I'm probably the only one that would have noticed this and it does not in anyway bother me.
I thought I had already fixed this, but apparently not. It should be fixed now. clear your cache and try again.

Chiefster
02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
I thought I had already fixed this, but apparently not. It should be fixed now. clear your cache and try again.

:lol: All fixed!

AussieChiefsFan
02-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Looks really good Coach!

Coach
02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks Aussie!

Coach
02-11-2013, 09:58 PM

I have fixed the video insert. You can now just post the link and it should embed the video for you.

Coach
02-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, I may have spoke too soon. I checked my fb timeline and it didn't seem to have posted.

Please try this again. It should be working now.

AussieChiefsFan
02-12-2013, 12:34 AM
I have fixed the video insert. You can now just post the link and it should embed the video for you.
nice!

Chiefster
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Please try this again. It should be working now.

Test 1, 2, 3!!!

Chiefster
02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Works like a charm now Coach! Good job! :smile

Chiefster
02-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Any news about having the original (thread starter) post at the top of each page within the thread?

AussieChiefsFan
02-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Any news about having the original (thread starter) post at the top of each page within the thread?
This is a great idea. Its really good on other forums.

RaiderHater61
02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Hopefully if that is implemented there is a way to turn it off!

N TX Dave
02-13-2013, 11:49 AM

I don't really like that because it can be long to get through every page like one about the draft or the game day topics or the conversation can drift of the original topic. I like it the way it is my 2 cents.

Chiefster
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't really like that because it can be long to get through every page like one about the draft or the game day topics or the conversation can drift of the original topic. I like it the way it is my 2 cents.

Actually having the original post at the top of each page helps to keep people on topic.

Coach
02-15-2013, 09:38 AM
I have added the ability to give a post a Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down rating. Let me know your thoughts. My only concern is that people will get a lot of thumbs down if they don't share the same opinion as the majority. I personally like hearing different opinions. It is a big reason why I started the site.

So no promises that we will keep it, but I thought I'd try it.

Edit: I have removed the thumbs down option so that we can avoid the issue I described above.

Chiefster
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
I have added the ability to give a post a Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down rating. Let me know your thoughts. My only concern is that people will get a lot of thumbs down if they don't share the same opinion as the majority. I personally like hearing different opinions. It is a big reason why I started the site.

So no promises that we will keep it, but I thought I'd try it.

Edit: I have removed the thumbs down option so that we can avoid the issue I described above.

I don't see a problem with the thumbs down option as long as it is anonymous, it doesn't have a post option like rep. Actually, to me, seems a little like a redundant feature since those types of sentiments can currently be expressed through rep with the only difference being that rep is not a public displayed sentiment of a particular post. However, I really don't have a problem with it one way or the other.

BTW I thumbs uped your "Thumbs Up" post. :D

Coach
02-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Done

Chiefster
02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Done

You da man! :D

RaiderHater61
02-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Done

Any chance that can be disabled for those of us that do not want it?!

Coach
02-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Any chance that can be disabled for those of us that do not want it?!

I will check to see if I can make that happen.

RaiderHater61
02-17-2013, 07:34 PM
That would be great if you could, myself I find it repetitive and a waste of bandwidth to repeat the post. The update is looking great and the effort is appreciated.

Chiefster
02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
That would be great if you could, myself I find it repetitive and a waste of bandwidth to repeat the post. The update is looking great and the effort is appreciated.

I understand and appreciate your point of view, but I think the bandwidth is minimal and it helps those of us old geezers with bad memories and short attention spans to stay on topic. :smile

N TX Dave
02-18-2013, 12:59 AM
How do you give a thumbs up I can only figure out how to give a thumbs down.

Chiefster
02-18-2013, 01:15 AM
How do you give a thumbs up I can only figure out how to give a thumbs down.

That's weird, all I see in posts are options to give thumbs up, except for those posts I've already given thumbs up to.

N TX Dave
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
That's weird, all I see in posts are options to give thumbs up, except for those posts I've already given thumbs up to.

I see the thumbs up with a zero in front and if I click it it changes to a thumbs down with a one in front of it, then if I click it again it changes back to the 0 thumbs up.

Chiefster
02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
I see the thumbs up with a zero in front and if I click it it changes to a thumbs down with a one in front of it, then if I click it again it changes back to the 0 thumbs up.

Oh, ok. What you've done is given a post a thumbs up and then taken it away. Coach has only enabled the thumbs up option with only the ability to take that thumbs up away.

N TX Dave
02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Okay did I give you a thumbs up or down? To me it looks like it is down.

Coach
02-18-2013, 04:24 PM
It can be a little confusing. After giving a thumbs up, you will only se the option to thumbs down that post. This is because you cant 'thumbs up' the same post more than once. But you can take away your 'thumbs up' vote by hitting the red 'thumbs down' button.

Coach
02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Do you guys like the Thumbs Up feature?

Chiefster
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM

It can be a little confusing. After giving a thumbs up, you will only se the option to thumbs down that post. This is because you cant 'thumbs up' the same post more than once. But you can take away your 'thumbs up' vote by hitting the red 'thumbs down' button.

What Coach said.

I have no problem with it at all, but honestly I could take or leave it.

70 chiefsfan70
02-19-2013, 06:02 PM

I don't really care either way but I'm sure your younger members will think its cool and will love it.

I'm old school(42) and never been on FB. Nor do I ever intend to.

kcvet
02-19-2013, 08:36 PM
my email reply is gone. it worked on the previous version. anything i can do????

Chiefster
02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
my email reply is gone. it worked on the previous version. anything i can do????

Click on the "Settings" link at the upper right next to "log Out". On the left hand side Under "My Account" click on "General Settings" left of that find the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" area. Click on the down arrow to reveal a drop down menu and select "Instantly, using e-mail". Scroll down and click on "Save Changes".

Chiefster
02-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Things are not looking quite right on the home page. I don't know if it's on my end or not.

Chiefster
02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
It seems to be fixed now. Maybe it was my browser.

kcvet
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Click on the "Settings" link at the upper right next to "log Out". On the left hand side Under "My Account" click on "General Settings" left of that find the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" area. Click on the down arrow to reveal a drop down menu and select "Instantly, using e-mail". Scroll down and click on "Save Changes".

its there. all set up. still no email reply

Chiefster
02-20-2013, 05:49 PM
its there. all set up. still no email reply

Not sure then bud. Coach, do you have insight into this problem?