PDA

View Full Version : chiefs cut breaston and boss

slc chief
02-19-2013, 07:54 PM
A couple of veteran pieces in the Chiefs’ passing game are being sent packing from Kansas City.
The Chiefs announced today (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Release-Steve-Breaston-Kevin-Boss-/fbed4ca7-4b10-4fbe-8d96-4a465d16c85a) that they have released wide receiver Steve Breaston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston) and tight end Kevin Boss (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4264/kevin-boss).
After showing promise as a big-play receiver early in his career with the Cardinals, Breaston signed a five-year, $23 million contract with the Chiefs in 2011. But Breaston was just OK in 2011, with 61 catches for 785 yards, and in 2012 he was largely phased out of the offense, catching just seven passes for 74 yards.
Still, Breaston is a 29-year-old who has talent, and he’ll have suitors in free agency. A logical landing spot could be Pittsburgh: That’s Breaston’s hometown, the Steelers are likely to look for a receiver after Mike Wallace (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace) signs elsewhere, and Breaston was a favorite of Todd Haley, who coached him in both Arizona and Kansas City and is now the Steelers’ offensive coordinator.
Boss has been a starter for both the Giants and the Raiders and was expected to be a starter for the Chiefs as well, but he played in just two games for the Chiefs last season before being lost for the season with a concussion. His future is uncertain.

slc chief
02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
can you say trimming the fat/ cap space

#58ChiefsFan
02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Jackson and Cassel would lead me to believe its for cap reasons, this smells of just not a good fit with where Reid is trying to go. I have to doubt if Boss will ever play again. Going to IR after week 2 and being a new father it doesn't seem in his best interest to continue to play. Breaston was always kind of meh, he was alright but never really stuck me as a have to have guy.

slc chief
02-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Jackson and Cassel would lead me to believe its for cap reasons, this smells of just not a good fit with where Reid is trying to go. I have to doubt if Boss will ever play again. Going to IR after week 2 and being a new father it doesn't seem in his best interest to continue to play. Breaston was always kind of meh, he was alright but never really stuck me as a have to have guy.

nah this was clearly a cap cut. breaston was due 4 million this year. he is a servicable player. if andy would have cut him in mini camp than i would believe he didn't fit the scheme. looks like they are serious about signing bowe and albert........... see the article below cutting cap space per nfl network

Chiefster
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
I was hoping that we'd hang onto Breaston.

slc chief
02-19-2013, 11:06 PM
I was hoping that we'd hang onto Breaston.

i am not upset to see him go he had plenty of chances to step it up but didn't. never really produced as much as his talent would leave you to believe. servicable player but not for 4 mil a year. maybe wrong scheme or coaching definantly didn't have the best qb's

Chiefster
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
i am not upset to see him go he had plenty of chances to step it up but didn't. never really produced as much as his talent would leave you to believe. servicable player but not for 4 mil a year. maybe wrong scheme or coaching definantly didn't have the best qb's

Which is exactly why I would have liked for the Chiefs to hang onto him for, at least, one more season.

N TX Dave
02-19-2013, 11:28 PM

How many better WR do we have on the team?

slc chief
02-19-2013, 11:36 PM

according to last years stats all of them that started a game. he didn't get put on the bench for having a stellar work ethic in practice or for competing to hard

FranciscoD'anconia
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM

The question is, how many better WRs WILL be on the team when the season starts. My guess is four or five.

pojote
02-20-2013, 09:52 AM
The thing with WR is that they need to have chemistry with the QB, so you can't expect a good WR will be good with another QB instantly. But is a pretty sure thing that we won't be using a QB now on the roster, so you can change all the WR corps.
Totally different with the OL or defense, they need chemistry, and know each other.

matthewschiefs
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Don't think Breaston wanted to stay after this past year where he couldn't even get playing time because "he didn't show an understanding of the offense" Boss the injury did him in his time was to short

Eydugstr
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Don't think Breaston wanted to stay after this past year where he couldn't even get playing time because "he didn't show an understanding of the offense" Boss the injury did him in his time was to short

Still can't believe Crennel said that. And then repeated it while clarifying himself.

I understand losing Boss, but I think we should've kept Breaston, in case a deal with Bowe falls through. I just don't see Baldwin doing much, based on his previous seasons.

70 chiefsfan70
02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Its not like we saw any effort from Breaston, and he didnt help the chiefs in any way last season. I say good riddence. We need effort at the very least. Sure not all this was his fault but if you really want to play, you put out some kind of an effort and he did not do that.