PDA

View Full Version : ALEX SMITH = Done deal!!!

Justin5772002
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Source: Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith
ESPN.com news services | February 27, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Terms of the trade, which can't officially be completed until March 12 when the 2013 league year begins, weren't immediately available.

The trade agreement was first reported by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer on Twitter.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick while sitting out with a concussion but was professional at every turn and continued to mentor his replacement.

Before his injury, Smith had completed 26 of his last 28 passes -- including going 18-of-19 for 232 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions in a "Monday Night Football" win at Arizona on Oct. 29.

He then sustained a concussion in the second quarter of the 49ers' next game, a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11. Smith sat out the next game as Kaepernick dazzled in his debut as an NFL starter, beating the Bears handily at home on "Monday Night Football." Smith didn't start again last season.

The 28-year-old quarterback has thrown for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdowns and 63 interceptions in 80 career games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

kcvet
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM
I think the best QB avail. This makes us a contender. Yea!!!

Bortnem
02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Just glad we have already addressed one area of need. Now we just need to get Bowe under contract and work on filling as many holes through FA as possible so we can draft the best players available in the draft.

Glad to see the new brass going out and making a splash right away. Just hope it works out better than the Cassel splash made by Pioli when he took over.

Seek
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
One guy won't make us a contender. The Niners have an oustanding cast of receivers and tight ends, a pretty decent offensive line, and a star RB. It is one reason Kap, did so much better than Smith. The defense could not afford to spy a guy on Kap or they would beat them with all the other weapons. So we have the Star Running Back covered but that is the end of conversation.

I am not to found of the rumor saying we gave up a 2nd this year, with a comprable pick in next years draft.

Bortnem
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Just read on ESPN that we gave up our 2nd round pick. If this is the case I am not so sure I like the trade. That is a really high pick to give up for someone's back up QB. Whether he started before or not, he still is not a back up and that is too high.

Yoda
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Dear Chiefs, Thank you! Sincerely the AFC West.

But seriously, I think KC was forced into this trade as there is no other choice. This all but seals Joackel(SP?) is KC's 1st pick

KristofLaw
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
More info on the deal but I certainly hope not. He is NOT the best quarterback available and thus my dismay and really I do hope if we get him he could be a good QB for us even in a backup role if need be but man, why not just go after David Carr. Same dif. :(

kcvet
02-27-2013, 01:13 PM
he is another 49er product. why am i worried???

Seek
02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
If the chiefs draft DT with the first round pick then I will become very worried.

doobs_05
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Hate this trade if it goes through, a 2nd round pick for Alex smith, do people just forget his first 5 or 6 years?

Seek
02-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Dont hate it to much. Rumor is actually for a 2nd this year and then a comprable pick next year, so it could be two first round picks :)

Ryla02
02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
And 2nd rounder and another one next year is just way too high of a price for Smith.

70 chiefsfan70
02-27-2013, 01:36 PM
We have given up way to much for what looks like a slightly better qb. This really sucks!

Nearly every one predicted 1 or more of the top 5 qbs in the draft to still be there at the 34th pick! And we give up that and triple the salary! Most people say there is very little difference in the top 5. Truely makes no sense.

I may take up drinking again.

Three7s
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Screw this team, I give up.

This franchise can rot!

70 chiefsfan70
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Screw this team, I give up.

This franchise can rot!

If this is any more than a rumor then this is likely to happen.

Sick Dog
02-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Not good the 49ers would have released this guy and the Chiefs are giving a 2nd rounder if this is true...:pointlaugh: that is the 49ers laughing at us.

spiman
02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
I am ok with this . The Chiefs had no choice. Foles was not going to happen. I called both Coach & Qb coming to KC... When does KC VS SF play? New stadium in SJ I will go :} The trolley goes right there/nice. Tired of all the Chit at the blackhole...

Lord-Chiefy
02-27-2013, 02:58 PM
We over paid due time az's bid.. sucks. But glad to have him.

Chiefster
02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't hate getting Smith, but agree that a second round draft pick was a price too high.

Chiefster
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Incumbent quarterback Matt Cassel (http://www.nfl.com/player/mattcassel/2506562/profile), once acquired in a similar deal by former GM Scott Pioli, is expected to be released by the Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) any day now. New GM John Dorsey and coach Andy Reid (http://www.nfl.com/player/andyreid/2523926/profile) are starting over from scratch at the quarterback position, with Smith the first big piece in place. Don't be surprised if they add another quarterback through the draft, but this trade is an admission that no rookie quarterback was ready to start right away.

With his smarts and his underrated mobility, Smith makes a lot of sense as an Andy Reid (http://www.nfl.com/player/andyreid/2523926/profile)-style quarterback. He can help the Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) compete right away because the team has talent on defense and some pieces in place offensively like Jamaal Charles (http://www.nfl.com/player/jamaalcharles/925/profile), Jon Baldwin (http://www.nfl.com/player/jonbaldwin/2495445/profile) and possibly Dwayne Bowe (http://www.nfl.com/player/dwaynebowe/2495558/profile), who sounds likely to get the franchise tag. The downside for Smith: He doesn't have Jim Harbaugh (http://www.nfl.com/player/jimharbaugh/2515790/profile) to guide him anymore.

Smith had a ton of ups and downs in San Francisco. Now he gets what he wanted most: A fresh start and an organization that truly wants him.

It is what it is.

beaver25
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
http://youtu.be/hUum2i4WCwU

beaver25
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
I jus saw a clip on ESPN that says the Chiefs are giving up a total of 4 picks!

Eydugstr
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't hate getting Smith, but agree that a second round draft pick was a price too high.

+1. San Francisco just played KC like a violin, with Reid and Dorsey holding the sheet music.

beaver25
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Hope he's wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya85jPpDqEU

chiefnut
02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
I jus saw a clip on ESPN that says the Chiefs are giving up a total of 4 picks!..

well the networks better get their stories straight, NFLnetwork just interupted their broadcast w/breaking news...the CHIEFS will aquire Alex Smith from the 49rs for this years 2nd roud pick and possibly next years 2nd round pick......way too much to give up thats like a late 1st round pick this year plus a 2nd next year....there had better be some picks coming back from the niners...hell that gives them 12 picks......way to much to give up!!!!!!

Ryfo18
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
This is the dumbest trade since KC got Matt Cassel.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Matt Cassel 2.0

matthewschiefs
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Had a feeling the Geno worshipers would be whining today when I heard the news forget the fact he has taken a team to the NFC title game his name isn't Geno so we have to whine and say he's Cassel.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Had a feeling the Geno worshipers would be whining today when I heard the news forget the fact he has taken a team to the NFC title game his name isn't Geno so we have to whine and say he's Cassel.

And I had a feeling the same old blind Chiefs' faithful who were satisfied with the Matt Cassel pickup would be satisfied with this move.

Ryfo18
02-27-2013, 06:11 PM
It's cool. The 49ers will turn our pick into Revis and the Raiders will get a franchise QB in Geno. Whatever, I'm over it.

The only way I'd be halfway satisfied with this nonsense is if they have a partner who wants to trade up to #1 for Geno.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 06:15 PM
It's cool. The 49ers will turn our pick into Revis and the Raiders will get a franchise QB in Geno. Whatever, I'm over it.

The only way I'd be halfway satisfied with this nonsense is if they have a partner who wants to trade up to #1 for Geno.

I am not over it. It's going to be the same old garbage we have experienced the past 4 seasons.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
And I had a feeling the same old blind Chiefs' faithful who were satisfied with the Matt Cassel pickup would be satisfied with this move.

REALLY?

Where have I ever said I was satisfied with Cassel Find me a post where I say lets keep Cassel find me 1 I beg you. STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH I have said over and over again Cassel needs to go. Just because I blame the D when they suck instead of putting a loss on Cassel alone does NOT mean I'm satisfied with Cassel.

But keep whining I'm done with it you will never give Smith even a chance So like I told you with Cassel when you ignored the failings of others Keep hating it's all your doing.

70 chiefsfan70
02-27-2013, 06:22 PM

I dont care what our qb's name is and will be, as long as its the best available. A Smith clearly does not fit that catagory. There are at least 5 qb's in the draft that would be better suited for the Chiefs and would cost a whole heck of a lot less. Quite possible we could have picked one of these with the wasted 2nd round pick we are giving up for A Smith. Rumor is we are giving up next years 2nd round pick as well. Giving up this much for a backup qb (if we gave 2 2nds) will hurt us for a long time.

You must have forgot what Alex's record was before he had the GREAT OL he had in San Fran.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
REALLY?

Where have I ever said I was satisfied with Cassel Find me a post where I say lets keep Cassel find me 1 I beg you. STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH I have said over and over again Cassel needs to go. Just because I blame the D when they suck instead of putting a loss on Cassel alone does NOT mean I'm satisfied with Cassel.

But keep whining I'm done with it you will never give Smith even a chance So like I told you with Cassel when you ignored the failings of others Keep hating it's all your doing.

You sound like a broken record every year. "Just give him a chance." I heard the same thing with Cassel. I have seen Alex Smith play and he is a slightly better version of Matt Cassel. Even with Harbaugh his stats are very COMPARABLE to Cassel's, and in some ways worse.

ctchiefsfan
02-27-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Dunno if I like it or not. Lots of pros and cons.....

If the #2 this year and a conditional #2 next year are true then we probably paid too much.

And like everyone else I am depressed to see us YET AGAIN picking up someone else's retread.

But what choice did we really have?

I don't see any QB in the draft that is sure to come in and light things up from day one.

And I am sure Reid has been told "IMPROVE THINGS NOW!". So it was almost inevitable we were going to pick up some team's retread for at least the short term.

If that is what we were going to do then I am not sure how much better we were going to do than Smith.

So I guess I am OK with Smith. Maybe.

I guess what will really decide things for me is if the Chiefs draft a QB this year and make an honest effort to develop him.

If Reid thinks Smith is our QBOTF then I am going to be PISSED!

If Reid got Smith to get us out of the sewer while he develops a QBOTF then I'm OK with it.

I just wish like hell their was a really amazing QB in the draft this year. But their doesn't seem to be.

Dorsey and Reid are supposed to be real hot-shot personel guys. And outside of QB, we're not far from being a damned good team.

Getting Smith will eventually prove to be the smartest or the stupidest thing we have ever done. I am hoping for the former.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I dont care what our qb's name is and will be, as long as its the best available. A Smith clearly does not fit that catagory. There are at least 5 qb's in the draft that would be better suited for the Chiefs and would cost a whole heck of a lot less. Quite possible we could have picked one of these with the wasted 2nd round pick we are giving up for A Smith. Rumor is we are giving up next years 2nd round pick as well. Giving up this much for a backup qb (if we gave 2 2nds) will hurt us for a long time.

You must have forgot what Alex's record was before he had the GREAT OL he had in San Fran.

I didn't forget Smith's record before I just look at the whole picture. When he got an improved OL and a head coach that was any good he took his team to the NFC title game. We have a good O line with some help it can be GREAT and we have a better coach Smith COULD win in KC. Will He I don't know no one does until we see him play. But shouldn't we at the very least give the guy a chance before we declare he's Matt Cassel 2.0 like some are doing. He hasn't played 1 game with the Chiefs hasn't played one snap we don't know how he will play. He isn't Matt Cassel he has taken a team farther then Matt Cassel ever has. He COULD do the same. It just disappoints me that so many won't even give him a chance and talk about how stupid our team is.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
You sound like a broken record every year. "Just give him a chance." I heard the same thing with Cassel. I have seen Alex Smith play and he is a slightly better version of Matt Cassel. Even with Harbaugh his stats are very COMPARABLE to Cassel's, and in some ways worse.

And you sound like a broken record "Our QB sucks" BLAH BLAH BLAH

Since when is it so wrong for a fan of a team to give a move or a player a chance?

But don't let me get in the way of your hating hate away

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:07 PM
And you sound like a broken record "Our QB sucks" BLAH BLAH BLAH

Since when is it so wrong for a fan of a team to give a move or a player a chance?

But don't let me get in the way of your hating hate away

Yes and I was right about that. Our qb's suck, and when you bring one in that is similar to Cassel I have no choice but to complain.

But maybe I should get excited about a guy who averaged 187 ypg and had comparable YPG, YPA, QBR to Cassel. We even traded a 2nd round pick for him and even more!

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Dunno if I like it or not. Lots of pros and cons.....

If the #2 this year and a conditional #2 next year are true then we probably paid too much.

And like everyone else I am depressed to see us YET AGAIN picking up someone else's retread.

But what choice did we really have?

I don't see any QB in the draft that is sure to come in and light things up from day one.

And I am sure Reid has been told "IMPROVE THINGS NOW!". So it was almost inevitable we were going to pick up some team's retread for at least the short term.

If that is what we were going to do then I am not sure how much better we were going to do than Smith.

So I guess I am OK with Smith. Maybe.

I guess what will really decide things for me is if the Chiefs draft a QB this year and make an honest effort to develop him.

If Reid thinks Smith is our QBOTF then I am going to be PISSED!

If Reid got Smith to get us out of the sewer while he develops a QBOTF then I'm OK with it.

I just wish like hell their was a really amazing QB in the draft this year. But their doesn't seem to be.

Dorsey and Reid are supposed to be real hot-shot personel guys. And outside of QB, we're not far from being a damned good team.

Getting Smith will eventually prove to be the smartest or the stupidest thing we have ever done. I am hoping for the former.

Pros? We absolutely got screwed with this deal. We gave up A TON.

slc chief
02-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Yes and I was right about that. Our qb's suck, and when you bring one in that is similar to Cassel I have no choice but to complain.

But maybe I should get excited about a guy who averaged 187 ypg and had comparable YPG, YPA, QBR to Cassel. We even traded a 2nd round pick for him and even more!

i hate to say it but you are right nobody remembers how injury prone alex smith is. i dont know the numbers but the guy has been hurt alot. we struck out on this deal in a big way. a freaking 2nd round pick. that shows nothing but desperation on dorsey and reids part. if they would have given up a third then we could of taken an e.j manuel or tyler wilson as a little bit of insurance. but now we are stuck with smith and probably stanzi and some no name dink.

jap1
02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I was ok with us getting Smith because there didnt seem to be any other real options. But a 2nd rounder is way more than what I would have wanted us to give. I would have been willing to give our 3rd and a conditional next year, but our 2nd plus next year is basically a 1st round pick.

Im hoping the "rumor" about the 2nd is wrong, or we got something else in the deal.

jap1
02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
I hope the reports are wrong and we arent giving a 3nd round this year and a 2nd or 3rd round next year. Or maybe this is all smoke and mirrors. Technically no trade is final until the 12th, so maybe we "agreed" to a deal to show Philly what they can realistically expect for Foles. I doubt we are that shady, but who knows.

If the reports are correct, I hope to hear very quickly that we have traded out of the #1 slot to pick up more draft picks.

Bike
02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
So we acquire somebody else's backup QB - again. It seems no matter who runs this team, we keep making the same mistakes. That 2nd round pick was badly needed and we just threw it away on a mediocre, washed-up wannabe QB. Unreal.

Lazeye
02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Nothing is set in stone people! Who knows what we are really giving up to get him. The new year has not even started and at this point some of you are getting mad over words! Wait until there is a contract before you get all upset over what you think is going on.

Bike
02-27-2013, 09:27 PM
The absolute ONLY way this trade makes sense (in my view) is if there is a gentlemen's agreement with another franchise to trade our first pick for a mid to late 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick.

70 chiefsfan70
02-27-2013, 11:22 PM
The absolute ONLY way this trade makes sense (in my view) is if there is a gentlemen's agreement with another franchise to trade our first pick for a mid to late 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick.

I have been hoping there is something like this missing from the story.

Lord-Chiefy
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Everyone stop complaining we got the best qb named smith available.

KristofLaw
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
We signed Troy Smith?! I heard he was coming back. :P

doobs_05
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
If Geno pans out (or any QB taken in the first 3 rounds, and we take non) Reid and Dorsey better be ready for backlash. How many times does KC need to pick up a QB from FA to see it doesn't work for KC (hasn't worked in 20 years). I was ready for the Geno pick, but this trade is terrible, CANex Smith will be a CANsel 1.2 (he is a not a full version better then CANsel)

Seek
02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Okay so I hear that that the SKY has fallen and the world has ended. I don't like the trade, but it is not final yet. Rumors are Rumors. It is very possible the Chiefs swaped second round picks. Who knows. Yes, I know there are so many wanting to draft a QB. Who says we don't. What if still pick up one in the third. Maybe Arizona is now interest in Geno Smith and is will to trade up with the Chiefs to get him just so Oakland can't and we get our Second pick back and the LT we need.

What if Alex Smith is really the QB the Chiefs think he is, and the QB talent in this draft is really as bad as it is.

All I am saying is, Slow down people and lets see how it plays out when facts become facts.

Bike
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
No. I am tired of settling down for backup QB's. Neither Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, or Geno Smith will be available to us in the 3rd round. If the aquisition of Smith is a reality (I believe it is), then he is our QB for at least next year. Why not use our 2nd pick for a QB with some upside that can be coached up rather than a game manager that was benched for a rookie?

Justin5772002
03-01-2013, 04:27 AM
You guys are amazing. From what I hear, the 2nd next year is conditional on Alex Smith's performance this year. His season was great this year and the guy didn't deserve to lose his job like that. We are chief fans and from what I hear we are very big on honor and pride. Alex lost his job and still showed poise, helping kapernick become a better QB. If nothing else what we get in this deal is a short term QB with the poise and self control to mentor our backup and get him game ready and at the same time giving us a chance to win. Some players make better coaches maybe the chiefs see him as this. The draft class this year sucks everyone is saying it. I still see the chiefs going after a QB with our 3rd rounder. There's still so much we can do with our #1 overall.

Alex please prove all the naysayers wrong and always GO CHIEFS!!!!!

drstandley31
03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I wanted Foles. Hope this works out, I can't keep watching bad football.

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 07:38 PM
You guys are amazing. From what I hear, the 2nd next year is conditional on Alex Smith's performance this year. His season was great this year and the guy didn't deserve to lose his job like that. We are chief fans and from what I hear we are very big on honor and pride. Alex lost his job and still showed poise, helping kapernick become a better QB. If nothing else what we get in this deal is a short term QB with the poise and self control to mentor our backup and get him game ready and at the same time giving us a chance to win. Some players make better coaches maybe the chiefs see him as this. The draft class this year sucks everyone is saying it. I still see the chiefs going after a QB with our 3rd rounder. There's still so much we can do with our #1 overall.

Alex please prove all the naysayers wrong and always GO CHIEFS!!!!!

Most the people who are so upset with the Smith trade would only take Geno Smith. Any one else just wouldn't be acceptable to them.

Many including a number of 49er fans felt the Alex Smith got a bad deal when he lost his job due to injury He was playing well. He has proven that with talent and a good coaching staff around him that he can play well. It's up to the new gm to get that talent around him now.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Most the people who are so upset with the Smith trade would only take Geno Smith. Any one else just wouldn't be acceptable to them.

Many including a number of 49er fans felt the Alex Smith got a bad deal when he lost his job due to injury He was playing well. He has proven that with talent and a good coaching staff around him that he can play well. It's up to the new gm to get that talent around him now.

From The Film Room:

The stats lie...sure Smith's %'s and rating increased under Harbaugh...but his usage decreased. The two years under Harbaugh...San Fran ranked 31st in the NFL in pass attempts. San Fran was defined by defense and the power game.

The thing that bothers me about this situation. Reid's offense is dependent on the Quarterback to make plays. Even under Harbaugh...while Smith's rating increased...the TD's, the yardage really didn't. All indications do not point to an improved QB...points to an improved scheme to mask the QB.

The biggest issue with Smith is the lack of understanding where the numbers come from. The INT's decreased...the rating rose...but the sacks he took nearly doubled. This particular change is reflected in the rating...he didn't improve as a passer...he simply stopped making mistakes.

It's why I would rather have Geno, atleast you are getting a product that has all the tools that can make plays and throw down field, you also have time to develop him with a young team. With Smith you are getting a short yardage qb who can't throw downfield.

Sound familiar?

doobs_05
03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
When/If Alex Smith gets here, is he going re construct his contract? Also Joe Flacco JUST GOT PAID SON!!!!!!!!

nigeriannightmare
03-01-2013, 08:30 PM
When/If Alex Smith gets here, is he going re construct his contract? Also Joe Flacco JUST GOT PAID SON!!!!!!!!

Yessir. Fat contract holy sheet!

doobs_05
03-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Yessir. Fat contract holy sheet!

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p346/heavymbrand/clay.jpg (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=the+wire+clay+davis&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=xfdt5wyNTnPr7M&tbnid=OKLlMg4EItzwSM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsuperdutytoughwork.blogspot.com%2 F2009%2F02%2Fclay-davis.html&ei=hl0xUenzOYS0qQGehoDwCw&psig=AFQjCNFl1YzqbSqfQt1O62yXVH1Sj1ny1g&ust=1362276086752691)

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 09:24 PM
From The Film Room:

The stats lie...sure Smith's %'s and rating increased under Harbaugh...but his usage decreased. The two years under Harbaugh...San Fran ranked 31st in the NFL in pass attempts. San Fran was defined by defense and the power game.

The thing that bothers me about this situation. Reid's offense is dependent on the Quarterback to make plays. Even under Harbaugh...while Smith's rating increased...the TD's, the yardage really didn't. All indications do not point to an improved QB...points to an improved scheme to mask the QB.

The biggest issue with Smith is the lack of understanding where the numbers come from. The INT's decreased...the rating rose...but the sacks he took nearly doubled. This particular change is reflected in the rating...he didn't improve as a passer...he simply stopped making mistakes.

It's why I would rather have Geno, atleast you are getting a product that has all the tools that can make plays and throw down field, you also have time to develop him with a young team. With Smith you are getting a short yardage qb who can't throw downfield.

Sound familiar?

WHAT

You mean if you put a QB in a better scheme for him he does better? SHOCKING. Harbaugh is a better coach then what the 49ers had before he put Smith in a better position to do well. That can be said of most QBs in the NFL. If the scheme isn't right for them they are not going to do great

Again with this throwing downfield stuff. It was posted in one of these threads that the difference between Alex smith and Geno smith YPC was a WHOPPING .1 last seaon WOW .1 yards WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO So I guess the difference between being a "noodle arm" and "being able to go downfield is now .1?

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 10:53 PM
WHAT

You mean if you put a QB in a better scheme for him he does better? SHOCKING. Harbaugh is a better coach then what the 49ers had before he put Smith in a better position to do well. That can be said of most QBs in the NFL. If the scheme isn't right for them they are not going to do great

Again with this throwing downfield stuff. It was posted in one of these threads that the difference between Alex smith and Geno smith YPC was a WHOPPING .1 last seaon WOW .1 yards WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO So I guess the difference between being a "noodle arm" and "being able to go downfield is now .1?

The scheme was Smith throwing less and the offense being run heavy, and that is the qb you want?

You can develop Geno into what kind of product you want him to be, that is the best thing about drafting a quarterback.

If Smith was a rookie qb we would give him time to show he can improve, he isn't and he won't. We're stuck with a qb who can't throw the ball down the field.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Another frightening fact:

The 49ers have been no higher than 25th in third-down conversion percentage for Alex Smith's entire career.

32nd
26th
32nd
29th
29th
31st
25th

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 01:55 AM
The scheme was Smith throwing less and the offense being run heavy, and that is the qb you want?

You can develop Geno into what kind of product you want him to be, that is the best thing about drafting a quarterback.

If Smith was a rookie qb we would give him time to show he can improve, he isn't and he won't. We're stuck with a qb who can't throw the ball down the field.

WHO CARES if we run the ball more then other teams you can still win with him. The 49ers won with him once they got a good coach. 20-6-1 not a bad record That's what Alex Smith is in his last 27 starts. That's a winning % of almost 75% Not bad But I'm sure you will ignore that to.

And again .1 yard that's the difference between your judgement of being able to throw the ball downfield and Not? .1 yard Stop with the he can't throw the ball downfield stuff if you're going to keep your lips on Geno's backside. They were basicly the same. And Alex Smith played against NFL teams Geno played in the big 12 which had a down year. But go on telling us how .1 yards is a big deal

tornadospotter
03-02-2013, 01:57 AM
I seem to remember a QB that the new head coach wanted, and got. That QB performed and was a great Chief, a leader. Yes we did not get a playoff win, but we lead the NFL in offense, and we were close to winning it all. This QB played for the other NFL team in the same state. We destroyed him when he was with that team. I was upset that we got him, but how he played for our team, I wish we had him again. Alex Smith is a Chief! That is all I have to say.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 02:02 AM
I seem to remember a QB that the new head coach wanted, and got. That QB performed and was a great Chief, a leader. Yes we did not get a playoff win, but we lead the NFL in offense, and we were close to winning it all. This QB played for the other NFL team in the same state. We destroyed him when he was with that team. I was upset that we got him, but how he played for our team, I wish we had him again. Alex Smith is a Chief! That is all I have to say.

BUT BUT We didn't draft him and his name isn't Geno he clearly sucked:biggrin:

Ps I miss him to

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 02:07 AM

The problem with that is Dick Vermeil knew Green very well and had worked with him in the past. Smith will be expected to come in here and throw more than he did in SF. He is a horrible player when he is asked to throw and win.

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 02:09 AM
WHO CARES if we run the ball more then other teams you can still win with him. The 49ers won with him once they got a good coach. 20-6-1 not a bad record That's what Alex Smith is in his last 27 starts. That's a winning % of almost 75% Not bad But I'm sure you will ignore that to.

And again .1 yard that's the difference between your judgement of being able to throw the ball downfield and Not? .1 yard Stop with the he can't throw the ball downfield stuff if you're going to keep your lips on Geno's backside. They were basicly the same. And Alex Smith played against NFL teams Geno played in the big 12 which had a down year. But go on telling us how .1 yards is a big deal

Not if you play good offenses that can put up points. We dont have a dominant defense like they do in SF, and since we don't Smith will struggle IMMENSELEY beating good offenses (See sig below)

What you don't understand is Smith will be asked to throw more here. When he was asked to throw in SF he struggled, it wasn't until Harbaugh came and reduced his attempts that he finally stopped making mistakes and his rating improved. Reid does not run a run heavy offense, he runs a passing attack.

He doesn't win games Matt, his running game and defense did. Only when they reduced his attempts and eliminate turnovers the offense played better. SF even let Smith shop around last offseason to different teams, teams that didn't even want him.

He isn't going to have Harbaugh in KC, he will be forced to pass, and then he will struggle.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Not if you play good offenses that can put up points. Smith struggles IMMENSELEY beating good offenses (See sig below)

What you don't understand is Smith will be asked to throw more here. When he was asked to throw in SF he struggled, it wasn't until Harbaugh came and reduced his attempts that he finally stopped making mistakes and his rating improved. Reid does not run a run heavy offense, he runs a passing attack.

He isn't going to have Harbaugh in KC, he will be forced to pass, and then he will struggle.

You mean when the d sucks it's harder to win well Ya. Geno had some trouble winning to with poor defense but I'm sure you wouldn't blame him for that. Once again your double standard is clear. Geno did have more wins the Alex but that wasn't against NFL teams either.

And tell me how you know what Reid will ask Smith to do. Have you talk to Reid about this? The fact is we have never seen Alex Smith play for Andy Reid. You can't tell me what Reid will be asking him to do.

tornadospotter
03-02-2013, 02:30 AM
The problem with that is Dick Vermeil knew Green very well and had worked with him in the past. Smith will be expected to come in here and throw more than he did in SF. He is a horrible player when he is asked to throw and win.

Well how do you know? You must have a great ability to know this, you must have watch his every game! As I see it, He is a Chief! As a Chief, I will support and believe in him, until not deserved.

nigeriannightmare
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
The dude hasn't even thrown a pass as a chief and MMH says he sucks. Nice comparison to Trent green tornado. ANDY REID HAS BEEN KNOWN TO GET THE MOST OUT OF AVERAGE QBSHIS ENTIRE CAREER AND HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL DOING SO. MMH can you please chill out until crap goes south. You wanted someone to come from Green Bay and we got the best evaluator of talent in the NFL, wouldn't it be safe to say he sees something that you and the rest of the Geno lovers don't. Geno is not a day 1 starter no matter his upside. And we still may draft him Christ you are one negative individual.

70 chiefsfan70
03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm not that disappointed that Alex Smith is a chief......... I'm just really upset that we gave up 2 second round picks for him, and to boot we have to pick up his tab and pay him double or more, possible triple, then if we had used up only our second this year and got the best available qb in the draft.

He is a 8 year vet. as a career has really sucked, but of recent looked very well under a super bowl caliber team, OL, WR, etc.

I'm just hoping this isn't the real story, and the niners are throwing in another player or paying for most of his salary, or maybe giving us an other 1st round pick.

A Smith, even in his very best can't and isn't worth what we think we paid for him. We are a 2 and 14 team..............................

Chiefster
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Not if you play good offenses that can put up points. We dont have a dominant defense like they do in SF, and since we don't Smith will struggle IMMENSELEY beating good offenses (See sig below)

He doesn't win games Matt, his running game and defense did. Only when they reduced his attempts and eliminate turnovers the offense played better. SF even let Smith shop around last offseason to different teams, teams that didn't even want him.

I think you will see our defense improve this year. The biggest problem we had with our defense last year was that they were on the field too much of the time which is why it seemed like they gave up as the game progressed because buy the mid third quarter they were spent. This was facilitated by an inept offense that could not consistently sustain a drive that ended in more than three points. If Reid is smart with Smith, and I think he will be, than he will modify his pass heavy offense and put us in a position to be successful every game.

N TX Dave
03-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Well I agree I think the defense will be better but to say they were on the field too much last year is a misnomer. 2012 stats show that the Chiefs were 18th in the league for time of possession right at 30 min a game in fact TOP was 50.52%. My source (http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-time-of-possession-statistics/2012/)

As far a what we gave up, we really don't know it is all rumors at this time, until the deals is done we just don't know.

Chiefster
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Well I agree I think the defense will be better but to say they were on the field too much last year is a misnomer. 2012 stats show that the Chiefs were 18th in the league for time of possession right at 30 min a game in fact TOP was 50.52%. My source (http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-time-of-possession-statistics/2012/)

As far a what we gave up, we really don't know it is all rumors at this time, until the deals is done we just don't know.

I guess it just seemed to me like I saw them on the field too much of the time. However, I think it's tough for a defense to defend a three point gain playing high powered offenses, but I do concede your point about time of possession.

N TX Dave
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I guess it just seemed to me like I saw them on the field too much of the time. However, I think it's tough for a defense to defend a three point gain playing high powered offenses, but I do concede your point about time of possession.

I agree with you on the offense only getting 3 points instead of 7 way to many times 100%. I got soooo tired of watching them go down the field and stall around 25 yard line have a 4 and 1 and trot out the FG team. I remember several times were the D would give the ball to the O inside the 20 and still settle for a FG.

Chiefster
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I agree with you on the offense only getting 3 points instead of 7 way to many times 100%. I got soooo tired of watching them go down the field and stall around 25 yard line have a 4 and 1 and trot out the FG team. I remember several times were the D would give the ball to the O inside the 20 and still settle for a FG.

Exactly! Extremely frustrating!

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Well that is great, because in his entire career including Harbaugh Alex Smith has been among the worst in third down conversion %.

The 49ers have been no higher than 25th in third-down conversion percentage for Alex Smith's entire career.

32nd
26th
32nd
29th
29th
31st
25th

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 01:05 PM

THANK YOU

The defense biggest issue was that they were inconsistent they would have games like the Ravens and the first against the Donkeys where they looked outstanding. Then there were games like the opener the 2nd game the game against tampa where granny could have gone out with her walker and scored against them. The HORRIBLE coaching I would say played a factor in that. Hopefully we see more of the good defense then the bad with the new coaching staff.

The defense is tired thing is just something The Cassel haters like to say to give the defense a hall pass and talk about that horrible Matt Cassel

Most frustrating thing about the season. We could move the ball a good amount of the time then we would get in our own way. Either a turnover or something a penalty something would kill the drive. Made me want to bang my head against the wall.

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 01:23 PM
THANK YOU

The defense biggest issue was that they were inconsistent they would have games like the Ravens and the first against the Donkeys where they looked outstanding. Then there were games like the opener the 2nd game the game against tampa where granny could have gone out with her walker and scored against them. The HORRIBLE coaching I would say played a factor in that. Hopefully we see more of the good defense then the bad with the new coaching staff.

The defense is tired thing is just something The Cassel haters like to say to give the defense a hall pass and talk about that horrible Matt Cassel

Most frustrating thing about the season. We could move the ball a good amount of the time then we would get in our own way. Either a turnover or something a penalty something would kill the drive. Made me want to bang my head against the wall.

And you think Alex Smith is going to help our d stay off the field? He is among the worst in 3rd down %.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 03:18 PM
And you think Alex Smith is going to help our d stay off the field? He is among the worst in 3rd down %.

That was with the niners we don't no what he will do with the Chiefs it's apples to oranges maybe he fits better with the Chiefs talent maybe he's even worse we don't know that yet. Why assume that it will be that way in KC other then his first name isn't Geno?

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
That was with the niners we don't no what he will do with the Chiefs it's apples to oranges maybe he fits better with the Chiefs talent maybe he's even worse we don't know that yet. Why assume that it will be that way in KC other then his first name isn't Geno?

Yes we do, Reid runs a pass heavy offense, when Smith throws the football he struggles. Under Reid's offense a qb typically will have atleast 34 attepts, alex smiths record when he has atleast 34 attemps per game is 3-13.

Under Harbaugh Smith had his passing attempts cut back, and it was only then that the offense started to perform well.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Yes we do, Reid runs a pass heavy offense, when Smith throws the football he struggles. Under Reid's offense a qb typically will have atleast 34 attepts, alex smiths record when he has atleast 34 attemps per game is 3-13.

Under Harbaugh Smith had his passing attempts cut back, and it was only then that the offense started to perform well.

So you think Andy Reid is so stupid that he wouldn't change the offense any at all with different talent? Really?

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
So you think Andy Reid is so stupid that he wouldn't change the offense any at all with different talent? Really?

No, he runs a west coast offense. Every quarterback he has had, regardless of who it is throws the ball A TON. So even though he has had change of personnel, quarterbacks under Reid don't change in the passing attempts category.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
No, he runs a west coast offense. Every quarterback he has had, regardless of who it is throws the ball A TON. So even though he has had change of personnel, quarterbacks under Reid don't change in the passing attempts category.

So you have no faith in Reid? You don't think he will use Charles? You don't seem to have faith in anyone anymore since there not bringing in your choice. Instead you're already judging that we are doomed to fail. Go on hating my man I'm done with it. You will never give him a fair chance. Instead you point out all the bad make excuses for the good. I'll be honest Smith wasn't my first choice. My first choice stayed in school. But I will at least give the move a chance. Call me crazy but I think that's what all a teams fans should do. But go on hating go on with your lips on genos rearend

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 06:22 PM
So you have no faith in Reid? You don't think he will use Charles? You don't seem to have faith in anyone anymore since there not bringing in your choice. Instead you're already judging that we are doomed to fail. Go on hating my man I'm done with it. You will never give him a fair chance. Instead you point out all the bad make excuses for the good. I'll be honest Smith wasn't my first choice. My first choice stayed in school. But I will at least give the move a chance. Call me crazy but I think that's what all a teams fans should do. But go on hating go on with your lips on genos rearend

Of course he will use Charles just like he used Mccoy in phili. Just because you are pass heavy doesn't mean you will not ever run the ball. The problem is Smith has relied on the running game in the past to improve his numbers. Now he is coming into a situation where he will have to throw even more! It's a recipe for disaster.

I didn't/don't mind Alex Smith coming here. What I do mind is what we traded for him and how long his contract is set up to be here. This is 2009 all over again.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Of course he will use Charles just like he used Mccoy in phili. Just because you are pass heavy doesn't mean you will not ever run the ball. The problem is Smith has relied on the running game in the past to improve his numbers. Now he is coming into a situation where he will have to throw even more! It's a recipe for disaster.

I didn't/don't mind Alex Smith coming here. What I do mind is what we traded for him and how long his contract is set up to be here. This is 2009 all over again.

Sorry but throwing the BS flag on this you have done nothing but whine about how he is anther Cassel you have GONE ON AND ON AND ON about it. No matter how well he has done over the last two years you won't here it. You make it out to be they won inspite of him. You give him NO CREDIT at all for the improvement he made over the last two seasons. You deemed him as a "noodle arm" when his Yard per completion was within .1 of the guy who you love. (notice my sig I can do that to) You say oh look he hasn't won when the defense sucked. Well maybe if the defense didn't suck they would have it's a TEAM game. (You are willing to mention that when Geno's 5 game losing streak is brought up) You don't like him that's fine as I said I don't love the move but don't ignore the facts that he played well over the last year and a half again he had a winning % of almost 75% but ignore that to right? Don't lie my man you do mind Alex Smith being in KC. If you didn't you would have shut up about it by now.

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Sorry but throwing the BS flag on this you have done nothing but whine about how he is anther Cassel you have GONE ON AND ON AND ON about it. No matter how well he has done over the last two years you won't here it. You make it out to be they won inspite of him. You give him NO CREDIT at all for the improvement he made over the last two seasons. You deemed him as a "noodle arm" when his Yard per completion was within .1 of the guy who you love. (notice my sig I can do that to) You say oh look he hasn't won when the defense sucked. Well maybe if the defense didn't suck they would have it's a TEAM game. (You are willing to mention that when Geno's 5 game losing streak is brought up) You don't like him that's fine as I said I don't love the move but don't ignore the facts that he played well over the last year and a half again he had a winning % of almost 75% but ignore that to right? Don't lie my man you do mind Alex Smith being in KC. If you didn't you would have shut up about it by now.

I don't mind him being here as a backup qb or temporary solution. I DO MIND TRADING THAT MUCH FOR HIM and signing him to a deal similar to what Cassel received. And what happened with the Cassel situation? You think we would learn from aquiring back up qbs from other teams.

What improvement? The coach limited his throws and the offense was much more effective. The only improvement I see from him is that he eliminated his mistakes, he still takes massive amounts of sacks.

Why would I be excited about a guy who was benched 8 times, he has had 1.5 winning seasons, and then eventually was replaced by another qb (Kaepernick, which technically wasn't his fault even though he is injury prone). Those 8 times he was benched were not even in favor of NFL starting calibur quarterbacks.

Matt, Alex Smith throws the short ball more than Matt Cassel. We have no idea what we are getting ourselves into.

Alex Smith, percentage of throws under 10 yards, 2011/2012:

73.3% (486 total)

Matt Cassel, percentage of throws under 10 yards, 2010:

64.4%

Matt Cassel, percentage of throws under 10 yards, Chiefs career:

65.8 % (980 total)

It's dink and dunk all over again.

N TX Dave
03-02-2013, 07:12 PM

I am so tired of his rhetoric that for now MMH is on my ignore list, once he gets off his kick about how bad AS is and moves on I will take him off ignore. It is a bummer to come in here and read the same crap in several threads by him. I know he hates the deal and no matter what anyone says about he is not going to change his mind so why waste the time? We don't know what the deal is until it is done and already it is terrible in his mind it won't like it if it was a 4th round pick, and he is unhappy about it.

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I am so tired of his rhetoric that for now MMH is on my ignore list, once he gets off his kick about how bad AS is and moves on I will take him off ignore. It is a bummer to come in here and read the same crap in several threads by him. I know he hates the deal and no matter what anyone says about he is not going to change his mind so why waste the time? We don't know what the deal is until it is done and already it is terrible in his mind it won't like it if it was a 4th round pick, and he is unhappy about it.

If you can read this which I doubt I would be fine trading a 4th round pick for him, as long as the contract situation is not for 3+ years (Which I believe it is) then that scenerio is perfectly fine.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't mind him being here as a backup qb or temporary solution. I DO MIND TRADING THAT MUCH FOR HIM and signing him to a deal similar to what Cassel received. And what happened with the Cassel situation? You think we would learn from aquiring back up qbs from other teams.

What improvement? The coach limited his throws and the offense was much more effective. The only improvement I see from him is that he eliminated his mistakes, he still takes massive amounts of sacks.

Why would I be excited about a guy who was benched 8 times, he has had 1.5 winning seasons, and then eventually was replaced by another qb (Kaepernick, which technically wasn't his fault even though he is injury prone). Those 8 times he was benched were not even in favor of NFL starting calibur quarterbacks.

Matt, Alex Smith throws the short ball more than Matt Cassel. We have no idea what we are getting ourselves into.

Alex Smith, percentage of throws under 10 yards, 2011/2012:

73.3% (486 total)

Matt Cassel, percentage of throws under 10 yards, 2010:

64.4%

Matt Cassel, percentage of throws under 10 yards, Chiefs career:

65.8 % (980 total)

It's dink and dunk all over again.

If you can't see how much he has improved in the last couple of seasons then there's no point of even discussing this with you any further. Your hate won't let you be objective. I mean after all your difference in going downfield and dink and dunk "noodle arm" is .1 yards I give up my man I just give up

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
If you can't see how much he has improved in the last couple of seasons then there's no point of even discussing this with you any further. Your hate won't let you be objective. I mean after all your difference in going downfield and dink and dunk "noodle arm" is .1 yards I give up my man I just give up

He's a college qb, you develop him. At WVU he ran the pistol offense which requires A TON of quick throws. The difference being is that he has all of the physical tools, he has shown he can throw the ball deep with accuracy. He can stretch the field. Alex Smith cannot and does not. Smith as the stats indicate above is just a checkdown, short yardage qb.

That is the difference, and that is why I believe we have so much more upside drafting Geno, resigning Albert and holding onto our second pick versus drafting a LT which we already have with out FIRST PICK and trading a second away for a mediocre qb.

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
He's a college qb, you develop him. At WVU he ran the pistol offense which requires A TON of quick throws. The difference being is that he has all of the physical tools, he has shown he can throw the ball deep with accuracy. He can stretch the field. Alex Smith cannot and does not. Smith as the stats indicate above is just a checkdown, short yardage qb.

That is the difference, and that is why I believe we have so much more upside drafting Geno, resigning Albert and holding onto our second pick versus drafting a LT which we already have with out FIRST PICK and trading a second away for a mediocre qb.

For someone who makes no excuses for geno you sure have a lot of excuses for him the 5 game losing streak why he only had .1ypc more then "noodle armed" Alex everything

70 chiefsfan70
03-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I see alot of progress here, One more post and you two will be seeing eye to eye.

And also good old off season entertainment!

matthewschiefs
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
I see alot of progress here, One more post and you two will be seeing eye to eye.

And also good old off season entertainment!

LOL going back and forth with my man is a good passtime for the offseason I actually enjoy our little back and forths LOL

MyManHali
03-03-2013, 02:07 AM
For someone who makes no excuses for geno you sure have a lot of excuses for him the 5 game losing streak why he only had .1ypc more then "noodle armed" Alex everything

I am not making any excuses for his losses. Never have never will. I, along with others see what kind of qb Geno can develop into and become.

It's a fact, the pistol offense is a bunch of quick throws to speedy WR. We already know what kind of qb Alex Smith is, Geno has the physical tools to develop, Alex Smith is what he is, a checkdown qb. It's about drafting and developing a quarterback, you can't draft and develop a NFL veteran, he is what he is.

matthewschiefs
03-03-2013, 02:34 AM
, you can't draft and develop a NFL veteran, he is what he is.

I disagree with this. One coach might see something that the coach that had him before just didn't make an adjustment and the player gets better because of that. It has happened before. Even with Alex Smith. When He got a good coach his play increased. YOU CAN'T DENY that. You can't no matter how much you keep trying his play went up. It's possible that Reid spots something with Smith and he improves some more. Will he suddenly become a hall of famer chances are slim but he can improve more

texaschief
03-03-2013, 03:29 AM

So, you believe that a guy who's known for his QB development and pass-happy offense decided to bring in a QB that won't succeed in his system?

OR

Do you just believe that you know more about Alex Smith based on casual fan exposure than Andy Reid, John Dorsey, and the entire PROFESSIONAL, NFL experienced staff of the Kansas City Chiefs and all the resources available to the franchise to best evaluate these players?

Now, I know you're not so arrogant that you think your evaluations of Alex Smith are better than the front office of the Chiefs, so my question is why do you think Andy Reid brought a QB into KC knowing full-well that he can't succeed in this style of offense? ESPECIALLY when the obvious and easy answer to this whole situation would've been to draft and develop Geno Smith to start instead? What exactly are you trying to say? Is the new administration intentionally trying to sabotage this team or are they just incompetent?

I would think that after 15 years of being the director of college scouting for one of the best drafting franchises in the league, it would afford Dorsey a little more credit. Combine that with Reid's experience and I just have a hard time dismissing this group as incompetent. However, if they came out and said Geno Smith was going to be the next great QB in the NFL, I'd definitely have my doubts.

MyManHali
03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
So, you believe that a guy who's known for his QB development and pass-happy offense decided to bring in a QB that won't succeed in his system?

OR

Do you just believe that you know more about Alex Smith based on casual fan exposure than Andy Reid, John Dorsey, and the entire PROFESSIONAL, NFL experienced staff of the Kansas City Chiefs and all the resources available to the franchise to best evaluate these players?

Now, I know you're not so arrogant that you think your evaluations of Alex Smith are better than the front office of the Chiefs, so my question is why do you think Andy Reid brought a QB into KC knowing full-well that he can't succeed in this style of offense? ESPECIALLY when the obvious and easy answer to this whole situation would've been to draft and develop Geno Smith to start instead? What exactly are you trying to say? Is the new administration intentionally trying to sabotage this team or are they just incompetent?

I would think that after 15 years of being the director of college scouting for one of the best drafting franchises in the league, it would afford Dorsey a little more credit. Combine that with Reid's experience and I just have a hard time dismissing this group as incompetent. However, if they came out and said Geno Smith was going to be the next great QB in the NFL, I'd definitely have my doubts.

What FA qbs has he developed?

The last regime was just incompetent, we have no idea what this regime will do. Initially I was very excited but this Alex Smith trade worries me.

Last night I read that Alex Smith's contract is only 2 years, so this means he is basically filling the gap as far as the quarterback position goes (Mother of god atleast I hope so). I am still upset we traded that much to get him. Now, if we sign him to a multi year deal then we have a serious problem.

MyManHali
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
I disagree with this. One coach might see something that the coach that had him before just didn't make an adjustment and the player gets better because of that. It has happened before. Even with Alex Smith. When He got a good coach his play increased. YOU CAN'T DENY that. You can't no matter how much you keep trying his play went up. It's possible that Reid spots something with Smith and he improves some more. Will he suddenly become a hall of famer chances are slim but he can improve more

Well what FA qbs has he developed?

texaschief
03-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Well what FA qbs has he developed?

Mike Vick did pretty well. Who knows how good he could've been if he had stayed healthy. It was only last year that he really fell off the cliff. But his first couple years running Reid's offense were pretty spectacular considering he didn't play every game. Michael Vick has a top 5 arm in this league. Probably throws a better deep ball than any QB in the NFL. His avg/comp during his 2 best seasons ('10-'11) was 8.1 and 7.8 respectively. He only threw for 12 TD's in '10, but passed for over 3000 yards. 2011 saw him step up the passing TDs to 17 with 3300 yards passing. The problem with Mike Vick is his accuracy. In 2010 he was only at 62% and then dropped to 59% the year after.

All we hear about with Alex Smith is how accurate he is and how he doesn't turn the ball over. Reid asked Vick to throw the ball an average of 400 times between '10-'11. In 2011, Smith was asked to throw the ball 450 times and ended the season with a passer rating of 91 throwing a 17/5 TD/INT ratio and a 60% completion percentage with over 3100 yards passing. Those numbers are almost identical to Cassel's career year. Through 8 games of 2012, Alex Smith was on track to throw about 450 times like he had in 2011. Except, in '12, he had a 70% completion rate instead of just 60% like in 2011. If you look at Smith's career, he has improved almost every year. I don't understand this notion that if Smith is asked to throw 400+ times in a season, that he won't be successful, when in fact, his stats tell you the exact opposite. Statistically, the two best seasons of Alex Smith's career (2011, 2012) have come when he was asked to throw the ball 27 times a game. Reid only asked McNabb to throw 29 times a game over his career and only asked Vick to throw 24 times a game.

Alex Smith is perfectly matched with Andy Reid's system. He's accurate, can consistently complete the short throws, take care of the ball, and now brings a L.O.S. element to Andy Reid that the coach has never had before. Give Reid a QB who's smart enough to check at the L.O.S. a la Peyton Manning, and you could potentially have a VERY lethal offense. What's even better is that if Alex Smith is given the ability to check at he L.O.S., he'll be checking to quick hitting routes that will expose the defense. Who better to pull that off than a QB known for his accuracy, consistency, and ability to hit the short passes? The only real problem I have with Alex Smith and the Chiefs' dependency on this guy is his history of injuries. There's no way I would put all my eggs in that basket. I'd make damn sure I had a suitable backup because counting on him to get through an entire season is a bit risky.

I also think it's an incorrect assumption that Andy Reid can't include a run game element into his offense. Philly has been in the top half of the league in rushing more times than not since Reid has been there. They had the 5th best rushing attack in the league in '10 and '11 but dropped to 11th last season. I think Charles is going to do just fine and this offense is going to see a nice, balanced offensive attack.

MyManHali
03-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Mike Vick did pretty well. Who knows how good he could've been if he had stayed healthy. It was only last year that he really fell off the cliff. But his first couple years running Reid's offense were pretty spectacular considering he didn't play every game. Michael Vick has a top 5 arm in this league. Probably throws a better deep ball than any QB in the NFL. His avg/comp during his 2 best seasons ('10-'11) was 8.1 and 7.8 respectively. He only threw for 12 TD's in '10, but passed for over 3000 yards. 2011 saw him step up the passing TDs to 17 with 3300 yards passing. The problem with Mike Vick is his accuracy. In 2010 he was only at 62% and then dropped to 59% the year after.

All we hear about with Alex Smith is how accurate he is and how he doesn't turn the ball over. Reid asked Vick to throw the ball an average of 400 times between '10-'11. In 2011, Smith was asked to throw the ball 450 times and ended the season with a passer rating of 91 throwing a 17/5 TD/INT ratio and a 60% completion percentage with over 3100 yards passing. Those numbers are almost identical to Cassel's career year. Through 8 games of 2012, Alex Smith was on track to throw about 450 times like he had in 2011. Except, in '12, he had a 70% completion rate instead of just 60% like in 2011. If you look at Smith's career, he has improved almost every year. I don't understand this notion that if Smith is asked to throw 400+ times in a season, that he won't be successful, when in fact, his stats tell you the exact opposite. Statistically, the two best seasons of Alex Smith's career (2011, 2012) have come when he was asked to throw the ball 27 times a game. Reid only asked McNabb to throw 29 times a game over his career and only asked Vick to throw 24 times a game.

Alex Smith is perfectly matched with Andy Reid's system. He's accurate, can consistently complete the short throws, take care of the ball, and now brings a L.O.S. element to Andy Reid that the coach has never had before. Give Reid a QB who's smart enough to check at the L.O.S. a la Peyton Manning, and you could potentially have a VERY lethal offense. What's even better is that if Alex Smith is given the ability to check at he L.O.S., he'll be checking to quick hitting routes that will expose the defense. Who better to pull that off than a QB known for his accuracy, consistency, and ability to hit the short passes? The only real problem I have with Alex Smith and the Chiefs' dependency on this guy is his history of injuries. There's no way I would put all my eggs in that basket. I'd make damn sure I had a suitable backup because counting on him to get through an entire season is a bit risky.

I also think it's an incorrect assumption that Andy Reid can't include a run game element into his offense. Philly has been in the top half of the league in rushing more times than not since Reid has been there. They had the 5th best rushing attack in the league in '10 and '11 but dropped to 11th last season. I think Charles is going to do just fine and this offense is going to see a nice, balanced offensive attack.

It's 2:30 am, I will read your post and answer ya back tomorrow.

doobs_05
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM

He kept putting the ball in vicks hands when he had McCoy in the backfield

texaschief
03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
He kept putting the ball in vicks hands when he had McCoy in the backfield

You don't get a top 5 rushing offense by NOT giving the ball to your best RB.

doobs_05
03-04-2013, 01:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

13th for yards, I'm sure about 300 or so came from the QB. I was talking more about that vick was a turnover machine. Also they were 21st in TDs which could mean Reid put more faith in Vick than in McCoy for goal line plays. Also on other forums, the joke when Reid was hired here was Charles would not be used much, I don't follow the eagles so i don't understand where that's coming from.

texaschief
03-04-2013, 01:37 PM
did you check the two years prior while Vick was there as well? Open your scope a little.

Justin5772002
03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Myman, so now we resigned Bowe, COLQUITT, and tagged Albert. I think all of your opinions of what this regime was trying to do are all wrong. From what I see happening is we are not in a rebuild year and they agree. We have a great team that just needs a few tweaks to win. If they feel we can do that with Alex Smith then let's see how this plays out. Your notion of them going after LT with the first pick probably isn't going to happen since we tagged Albert! I doubt it will happen but it's still a possibility to pick geno with the first pick and have Alex smith get geno nfl ready in the next couple of years. But without Alex smith we are not competitive THIS YEAR! Maybe they want to start producing now and make the chiefs as competitive as possible starting now.

Do You Feel Better now?

Lord-Chiefy
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
We are in fact in it to win it!!! Not build it!!!!!

ctchiefsfan
03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Gentlemen....

I have finally figured it out! My Man Hali who used to be My Man Orton suffers from Obsessive/Compulsive disorder. He fixates on one single QB as the solution to all problems and is unable to comprehend that the object of his compulsion might be anything but perfect.

Late in the 2011 season he assured us that Orton was the solution to all our problems. And continued to do so long after Orton was wearing another uniform. And aside from beating Green Bay, Orton proved he wasn't much of a solution to anything.

This year the object of his adulation is Geno....a late 1st rounder AT BEST if there was any competition in this draft class which there isn't.

The boy is SICK SICK SICK.

Ignore him.

doobs_05
03-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Why ignore someone who has a different opinion?

Chiefster
03-04-2013, 06:36 PM

That's a good point and I would agree unless you're unable to respectfully disagree with said individual, in which case I would agree that "ignoring" the person is the best course of action.

doobs_05
03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
did you check the two years prior while Vick was there as well? Open your scope a little.

Like we should with Alex Smith and his first 6 years in the league and not just the last year and a half?

I thought i read somewhere that Alex smith has only played over 10 games in a season twice

matthewschiefs
03-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Agree 100%

I've been back and forth with my man probably more then anyone on this site. I've always been respectful to him and he to me. He has every right to his opinion just like I have the right to mine. I think he's a little full of himself he thinks I'm just a big homer. But when you're on a forum you have to expect there will be people who don't agree with you I wouldn't ignore anyone just because they have a different outlook on things

MyManHali
03-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Alex Smith's completion % numbers are misleading, it's easy to have good completion % numbers when 73% of your throws are under 10 yards.

From PFF:

While Smith’s stats above took a major uptick starting in 2011, there were still some red flags. While his 70.2 completion percentage last season was impressive, it also showed his unwillingness to take chances and throw the ball downfield. His average depth of target of only 8 yards was the fourth-lowest of all quarterbacks and only 8.7 percent of Smith’s passes traveled 20+ yards downfield in 2012. Among quarterbacks who started at least half their games, only Christian Ponder had a lower percentage.

He also has awful pocket presence:
Smith also led the NFL in 2011 by taking 44 sacks, and was sacked 24 times in nine starts in 2012 before being replaced by Kaepernick. Smith was sacked on one third of his pressures in 2012, which led the league by a wide margin.

The bottomline is this, Smith doesn't win high scoring games. He relies on the running game and great defense to win games. That is the reality. Reid's quarterbacks average 35.7 attempts per game, Smith's record when he has atleast 35 attempts is 3-13. Just face it, he is a servicable qb that will be starting for us until we find a long term qb solution.

jap1
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
It is now official per PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/alex-smith-to-chiefs-trade-now-official/

jakemall
03-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Alex Smith's completion % numbers are misleading, it's easy to have good completion % numbers when 73% of your throws are under 10 yards.

From PFF:

While Smith’s stats above took a major uptick starting in 2011, there were still some red flags. While his 70.2 completion percentage last season was impressive, it also showed his unwillingness to take chances and throw the ball downfield. His average depth of target of only 8 yards was the fourth-lowest of all quarterbacks and only 8.7 percent of Smith’s passes traveled 20+ yards downfield in 2012. Among quarterbacks who started at least half their games, only Christian Ponder had a lower percentage.

He also has awful pocket presence:
Smith also led the NFL in 2011 by taking 44 sacks, and was sacked 24 times in nine starts in 2012 before being replaced by Kaepernick. Smith was sacked on one third of his pressures in 2012, which led the league by a wide margin.

The bottomline is this, Smith doesn't win high scoring games. He relies on the running game and great defense to win games. That is the reality. Reid's quarterbacks average 35.7 attempts per game, Smith's record when he has atleast 35 attempts is 3-13. Just face it, he is a servicable qb that will be starting for us until we find a long term qb solution.

If it is so easy to do what Alex did, why doesn't every qb do it?

Jonny Lightning
03-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Most of what I am reading here by the Chiefs "fans" is beer can prognostication and tantrum throwing. You blanks don't have a clue about Alex Smith, his career, the factors involved or his person and abilities. You truly are unworthy of your team and sure as hell are unworthy of Alex. Fortunately he doesn't care what you think and more fortunately he will play though your stupid behavior like a focused champion.

You crybabies need to do some homework on your new QB.

PS. He is a great man of character too, did you know that? This guy will have a very positive affect on your community. He is literally self funding his own charity and saving lives.

brdempsey69
03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Most of what I am reading here by the Chiefs "fans" is beer can prognostication and tantrum throwing. You blanks don't have a clue about Alex Smith, his career, the factors involved or his person and abilities. You truly are unworthy of your team and sure as hell are unworthy of Alex. Fortunately he doesn't care what you think and more fortunately he will play though your stupid behavior like a focused champion.

PS. He is a great man of character too, did you know that? This guy will have a very positive affect on your community. He is literally self funding his own charity and saving lives.

Some of us have done the homework. Some of us are aware what Alex Smith can bring to the table if given a good supporting cast.

Some of us aren't crying about bringing him on board as opposed to drafting a QB with the 1st pick because some of us are aware that since the AFL-NFL realignment in 1970 that every QB that the Chiefs have drafted in 43 years since that time has been a BUST, regardless of the round they were taken in or regardless of what school they came from & that the most successful QB's in Chiefs history have come via trade or FA.

Some of us are aware of the coaching carousel that Alex Smith went through in his first 6 years in SF, just like Matt Cassel did here in 4 years. John Dorsey and Andy Reid are already getting rid of the political zoo & they are in this for the long haul and Alex Smith won't be going through any carousel, here.

Good day.

Bike
03-19-2013, 04:16 PM

Here goes the "we went to the SB (LOST) so I can trash any teams fans that didn't get there" spewage. How insightful of you to decide that none of us here didn't read up on anything/everything Smith has done during his career. Take a long walk on a short plank.

Chiefster
03-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Wow! just wow! Really? You come here and read the posts of a few naysayers and through your, obviously, enlarged cranium deduce that everyone here are drunken redneck fools with nothing better to do with their time than to spew drivel over a trade you believe they don't understand? Well, let me set you straight on something: most here, even the "naysayers", are intelligent enough to back up their points of view with something we here like to call "reason" having done their "homework" and providing accurate statistical data. We are not required to agree with all points of view but we do ask, no require, that those providing their points of view at least be respectful in their expression of said opinions. Personally, I like the Smith trade because of what he's been able to do at his position lately, and it is my hope that he continues to perform at a very high level.

AkChief49
03-19-2013, 05:30 PM

Like Chiefster and Brdempsey said, this topic has been discussed upside down and sideways. There are those who like the trade others who like the trade and not the price paid and others that think this is Matt C. 2.0 (who, by the way is also an outstanding citizen of high character and actually has saved lives himself- from a fire-these qualities are usually a byproduct of the type of guy you want leading the team but, sadly, do not always mean great QB.)
We love having new members come aboard and voice their 2 cents, to join the discussion, not throw "tantrum" or "crybaby" bombs on the 1st post.
Andy Reid talked in his first interview about "finding that next Len Dawson"-the discussion is about whether or not he has. We all hope so, but you can hope in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up faster.:smile

JPPT1974
03-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Well Reid hopefully will find the next Len Dawson. But the verdict will be out on whether it will be Smith or a QB that they could draft in the 2013 come April.

brdempsey69
03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Well Reid hopefully will find the next Len Dawson. But the verdict will be out on whether it will be Smith or a QB that they could draft in the 2013 come April.

Perhaps they may find one in rounds 3 through 7, but with the acquisition of Alex Smith, taking a QB in round 1 is a luxury pick that doesn't address the glaring holes they have at Tackle on the O-Line.

Jonny Lightning
03-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Like Chiefster and Brdempsey said, this topic has been discussed upside down and sideways. There are those who like the trade others who like the trade and not the price paid and others that think this is Matt C. 2.0 (who, by the way is also an outstanding citizen of high character and actually has saved lives himself- from a fire-these qualities are usually a byproduct of the type of guy you want leading the team but, sadly, do not always mean great QB.)
We love having new members come aboard and voice their 2 cents, to join the discussion, not throw "tantrum" or "crybaby" bombs on the 1st post.
Andy Reid talked in his first interview about "finding that next Len Dawson"-the discussion is about whether or not he has. We all hope so, but you can hope in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up faster.:smile

And it will continue to be discussed on through the 2013 campaign, should we stop talking now?

You know I put gollashes on when I came in here for all the tears on the floor, but I guess those weren't first time posters so you didn't chide them for their posting behavior. You all seem so bewildered and abused. So much so that you can't listen to reason, but instead crave the insanity of your own cyclical arguing. All I am saying is A) dry your tears. B) stop comparing AS to Cassell. They are miles apart. Matt is not near the mind or the body of Alex and he can't run either. You don't have Cassell anymore, now you have Alex Smith. You guys are stuck in a Cassell psychosis.

If your coach, GM, and other members of the coaching staff can do their jobs, Alex will lead the locker room and defeat Chiefs opponents on a regular basis. It is so much more than long bombs to the house. Your team needs more than good players, it needs culture change, leadership and a cult-like commitment to each other. But again, your all so jilted and fragile right now so nothing but flowers, chocolates, and perfumed letters is acceptable. I get it, I understand what you are going through.

No, I don't.

Seriously if I am too rough for your squaws, just delete my account. I will understand.

Chiefster
03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
And it will continue to be discussed on through the 2013 campaign, should we stop talking now?

You know I put gollashes on when I came in here for all the tears on the floor, but I guess those weren't first time posters so you didn't chide them for their posting behavior. You all seem so bewildered and abused. So much so that you can't listen to reason, but instead crave the insanity of your own cyclical arguing. All I am saying is A) dry your tears. B) stop comparing AS to Cassell. They are miles apart. Matt is not near the mind or the body of Alex and he can't run either. You don't have Cassell anymore, now you have Alex Smith. You guys are stuck in a Cassell psychosis.

If your coach, GM, and other members of the coaching staff can do their jobs, Alex will lead the locker room and defeat Chiefs opponents on a regular basis. It is so much more than long bombs to the house. Your team needs more than good players, it needs culture change, leadership and a cult-like commitment to each other. But again, your all so jilted and fragile right now so nothing but flowers, chocolates, and perfumed letters is acceptable. I get it, I understand what you are going through.

No, I don't.

Seriously if I am too rough for your squaws, just delete my account. I will understand.

Herein lies the problem people here have with you. The fallacy you present in your opinion of the site is that because of a few members that don't share your view of Alex Smith you then lump everyone here into a single "crybaby" category. You throw everyone here under the bus because you can't see past a varying point of view.

doobs_05
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Herein lies the problem people here have with you. The fallacy you present in your opinion of the site is that because of a few members that don't share your view of Alex Smith you then lump everyone here into a single "crybaby" category. You throw everyone here under the bus because you can't see past a varying point of view.

eric winston is posting on chiefscrowd?

Chiefster
03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
eric winston is posting on chiefscrowd?

:lol: Could be.

Lord-Chiefy
03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
I for one thing Matt got screwed by coaching and changes every year...but smith is s upgrade and so is Daniels over Matt.

Justin5772002
03-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Johnny lightning there's less then 5 people here in this forum that are saying Alex smith is just like cassel but there are way more of us who believe we're better off now with Alex smith. Grow up and be specific on who you are directing your comments to because by you clumping us all together and throwing a rant directed towards everyone here makes it seem like you are the whiner here.

Seek
03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
I for one thing Matt got screwed by coaching and changes every year...but smith is s upgrade and so is Daniels over Matt.

What has Daniels done to say he is an upgrade over anyone? He has looked good in Pre-season on a team that had tons of talent on offense. I like the signing but I am not going to follow the MU biased opinion that he is even better than Smith. And that is not me bashing on MU fans. My entire family follows MU. I just have not seen him do anything in the NFL to give him that type of status. If he is really that good he would have had many other options before the Chiefs to possibly be a starter.

Lord-Chiefy
03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Ok sry@@ Daniels has much better upside then Matt...happy????

Seek
03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Ok sry@@ Daniels has much better upside then Matt...happy????

Based on what NFL record do you base that opinion. All I am saying is that he has shown nothing so far in the NFL to give fair or unfair opinions on that matter. He was a back up on the Saints behind a very good QB. However the Saints felt they didn't need to pay as much to keep him for a very important position. He may or may not have already hit his ceiling and there may or may not be any upside to him. But he did graduate from MU, and he has not proven that he can't be a back up yet.

nigeriannightmare
03-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Based on what NFL record do you base that opinion. All I am saying is that he has shown nothing so far in the NFL to give fair or unfair opinions on that matter. He was a back up on the Saints behind a very good QB. However the Saints felt they didn't need to pay as much to keep him for a very important position. He may or may not have already hit his ceiling and there may or may not be any upside to him. But he did graduate from MU, and he has not proven that he can't be a back up yet.

The fact that we are throwing $3 mill a year at him and six other teams were trying to acquire his services. Someone sees potential there.

Until he plays no one will know. But someone on this current staff is really fond of him.

Seek
03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
The fact that we are throwing $3 mill a year at him and six other teams were trying to acquire his services. Someone sees potential there.

Until he plays no one will know. But someone on this current staff is really fond of him.

Just to be clear. I am not bashing him, and not saying anything negative about Daniels. I know there is biased opinions for him becuase he is an MU tiger, and biased opinions against Matt making him almost as bad as the devil.

We just can't declare him better than Cassel, until he has proven that he is or is not. The only people who would know that (The Saints) didn't pay him as much as we did. That being said, the Vikings paid Cassel more than what we paid Daniels.

tornadospotter
03-26-2013, 02:34 AM
Well the end of this thread will come when time tells the story to become, the story of Alex Smith, a CHIEF QB! So let us all let the story play out, and put to rest the cost, and focus on the fact, it is done. That being said, I would encourage you all to make finale comments so we can move on to the coming season, and the draft.
I will make mine. Alex Smith is a Chief! No QB in this draft this year is worth a #1 over all pick, in fact, no qb in the draft is worth a 1st round pick, some are worthy of a later rounds. We need OL first round. That is my thoughts, and all I am going to say about the Alex Smith deal.
:11:

brdempsey69
03-26-2013, 04:11 AM
I do remember people saying something to the effect ( and are still saying it ) that they wanted a QB taken with the #1 overall pick. Well, you got him. Alex Smith was taken #1 overall -- just not in 2013 or by the Chiefs -- outside of that, what is all the complaining about?

:sign0081:

The point is, nobody knows what's going to happen with Alex Smith any more than they know what would happen with a rookie QB drafted at #1 in 2013. Get it? Got it? Good.

Seek
03-27-2013, 07:57 AM
I do remember people saying something to the effect ( and are still saying it ) that they wanted a QB taken with the #1 overall pick. Well, you got him. Alex Smith was taken #1 overall -- just not in 2013 or by the Chiefs -- outside of that, what is all the complaining about?

:sign0081:

The point is, nobody knows what's going to happen with Alex Smith any more than they know what would happen with a rookie QB drafted at #1 in 2013. Get it? Got it? Good.

Supposedly Geno is coming to KC to meet with the Chiefs. While most teams will try and hide that he is coming, I believe the Chiefs are posting it to get more interest in a trade back. However, the Chiefs are saying they find him to be fantastic remind everyone that John Dorsey is not afraid to draft a QB to sit behind a starter for three years and develop. Alex Smith only has a two yeat contract.

Also the Chiefs are shopping Albert for a second round + a pick next year. They are trying to get their picks back for A. Smith.

doobs_05
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah but Dorsey has already come out and said that there is no QB is this draft that doesn't warrant a first overall (or was it first round) pick

texaschief
03-30-2013, 01:56 AM
So... Tony Romo for $108m w/ $55m guaranteed and only 1 playoff win. Suddenly Alex Smith for a couple draft picks and $8m/yr looks like a freaking bargain!!! If Jerry Jones is trying to prove he's a good GM, he sure has a funny way of going about it... geez... next time you feel bad about the direction of this franchise, just count your blessings we don't have a star on our helmets. lol

brdempsey69
03-30-2013, 02:13 AM
So... Tony Romo for $108m w/ $55m guaranteed and only 1 playoff win. Suddenly Alex Smith for a couple draft picks and $8m/yr looks like a freaking bargain!!! If Jerry Jones is trying to prove he's a good GM, he sure has a funny way of going about it... geez... next time you feel bad about the direction of this franchise, just count your blessings we don't have a star on our helmets. lol

Not to mention, the 1st round pick and the two 2nd round picks the Raiders gave for Carson Palmer, plus the 13 million he is scheduled to make in 2013 along with the fact that he might not even be there in 2013. Imagine that -- 3 high draft picks and the money already paid out for a guy that only lasted 1 and 1/2 years and will be 33 this season -- and people think the Chiefs overreached for Alex Smith who will be 29 and the Chiefs brass knew they were getting 2 compensatory picks back.

So, if one wants to look at it this way, to get Smith, the Chiefs traded from the top of the 2nd round to the bottom of the 3rd round in 2013 and traded a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2014 for a 2013 6th rounder.

And of course, according to the draftniks, let's take a QB or D-Lineman with the 1st pick, so that Alex Smith and other Chiefs QB's can continue to get splattered all over turf, like we've seen with previous Chiefs QB's from 2007 on to this day since Roaf and Shields retired.