PDA

View Full Version : Smith=Cassel Logic

FranciscoD'anconia
02-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Can some one explain this to me:

"Because there exists a QB who became a worse player after his best season, therefor anyone who had a season comparable to that player's best season must be a bad player."

That's what I'm hearing over and over. Matt Cassel had a good season and then he sucked. We all know that. Why does that have to do with anything else? Does every personnel guy who studies game film have to go, "Wait. This guy had a season who's numbers are comparable to this Matt Cassel guy's numbers from his best season. Hold on. That must mean that this guy is going to become a bad player." Huh? What? Why would Dorsey or Reid care one bit about what happened to one specific guy who has nothing to do with their 2013 KC Chiefs? So this particular guy we're talking about happens to have been a Chief. How does that mean he has some magical ability to rub off his lack of mojo onto some one else any more than anyone else? Why not cherry pick some QB who then went on to be a better player? Who cares about Matt Cassel!

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
His YPA, YPG, Record against high scoring teams (2-27 against teams who score atlesat 24 points), QBR are all similar to Matt Cassel.

The point is we do not want someone who is mentioned in the same boat as Cassel. We do not want someone who can draw comparisons to our previous quarterback.

This is making me sick.

FranciscoD'anconia
02-27-2013, 07:04 PM
If some one decides to mention him in the same boat as Cassel, then that is their problem, but why should Chiefs fans be worried about that? There's one thing and only one thing that matters. Is this guy the best QB option to lead the KC Chiefs in 2013? Me personally, I'm a Nick Foles guy. Some are Geno Smith guys. Pretty much every other option out there besides those three is not even close, and to be honest, I don't know that any of these three stands out above the other two. Foles would cost the least, but doesn't seem to be available, and Geno would cost by far the most in draft assets and 2nd most in cap space assets. Personnel guys who know what they're doing have concluded, after watching all the film, that Alex Smith is the better option. Ok, so he's the best option. What does Matt Cassel have to do with anything? If Alex Smith is better than Geno Smith, then why should the decision over who should QB the 2013 KC Chiefs come down to some one heard some one say his name "in the same boat with Matt Cassel"? Why would anyone care about that?

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:08 PM
If some one decides to mention him in the same boat as Cassel, then that is their problem, but why should Chiefs fans be worried about that? There's one thing and only one thing that matters. Is this guy the best QB option to lead the KC Chiefs in 2013? Me personally, I'm a Nick Foles guy. Some are Geno Smith guys. Pretty much every other option out there besides those three is not even close, and to be honest, I don't know that any of these three stands out above the other two. Foles would cost the least, but doesn't seem to be available, and Geno would cost by far the most in draft assets and 2nd most in cap space assets. Personnel guys who know what they're doing have concluded, after watching all the film, that Alex Smith is the better option. Ok, so he's the best option. What does Matt Cassel have to do with anything? If Alex Smith is better than Geno Smith, then why should the decision over who should QB the 2013 KC Chiefs come down to some one heard some one say his name "in the same boat with Matt Cassel"? Why would anyone care about that?

Because his play and numbers are similar to Matt Cassel.

FranciscoD'anconia
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Really? QB rating of 104.1 (third highest in the league) vs 66.7 (lowest in the league). Your idea of "similar" is rather broad.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Really? QB rating of 104.1 (third highest in the league) vs 66.7 (lowest in the league). Your idea of "similar" is rather broad.

His YPG were worse than Cassel's. Cassel and Smith are comparable because they played very well with stacked teams. Face the facts, Alex Smith is a conservative game manager like Cassel was in 2010 when he had his great year.

slc chief
02-27-2013, 07:21 PM
one thing cassell beats smith in. is the injury department. smith is fragile. did we upgrade today yeah a little. but buy no means is smith going to be a great qb. he is a game manager that can scramble and make the short throws. not thrilled about the move at all

FranciscoD'anconia
02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Who cares about YPG, that just means more passing plays were called. The QB doesn't call the plays and put together the game plan. QB rating, completion percentage, yards per attempt, EVERYTHING that matters, not even close. You have got to be kidding. 3rd highest rated player vs lowest out of everyone and you're saying they're "Similar"?

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
His YPA are very similar with Cassel's. They draw comparisons because Smith is a dink and dunk passer, he is a game manager like Cassel is. Smith has had 3 300 yard games the past 4 seasons and has had the number 1 rushing attack in the 1.5 seasons he was productive. Very similar to Cassel in 2010.

QBR, YPA, YPG and record against teams that score more than 24 points are all comparable to Cassel, and that is what scares me. It scares me because I feel we gave up so much for such a minor upgrade.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Who cares about YPG, that just means more passing plays were called. The QB doesn't call the plays and put together the game plan. QB rating, completion percentage, yards per attempt, EVERYTHING that matters, not even close. You have got to be kidding. 3rd highest rated player vs lowest out of everyone and you're saying they're "Similar"?

You're new so let me give you some background on My man. He will give you only the negative for guys he doesn't like. And only the positive for the guys he does like.

For example Cassel's 2010 season he will tell you that he only won games because he went against "cream puffs" he won't mention that those cream puffs happened to beat Drew Brees twice and Peyton Manning. But yet Kyle Orton went against one of the worst defense in the NFL in 2011 and happened to put up a lot of yards below average points against the packers that year and he will sing all his praises like "he lead us to our biggest win in 20 years" he came to this board as my man orton. You will only get the negative numbers with Alex Smith. He won't tell you the whole story at any point.

Ryfo18
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
All things equal, Smith is better than Cassel. But it's like going from a Lean Pocket to a Hot Pocket...we're still starving and it's very unfulfulling.

If Smith can come here and be efficient, like Cassel was in 2010, and he has been that last couple of years, they'll win 7-10 games.

If Geno Smith goes on to be a stud though, this is pretty unforgivable.

Ryfo18
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Oh, and if this team isn't on the brink of a playoff spot next year (being generous, most will want playoffs), look out Reid/Dorsey.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
You're new so let me give you some background on My man. He will give you only the negative for guys he doesn't like. And only the positive for the guys he does like.

For example Cassel's 2010 season he will tell you that he only won games because he went against "cream puffs" he won't mention that those cream puffs happened to beat Drew Brees twice and Peyton Manning. But yet Kyle Orton went against one of the worst defense in the NFL in 2011 and happened to put up a lot of yards below average points against the packers that year and he will sing all his praises like "he lead us to our biggest win in 20 years" he came to this board as my man orton. You will only get the negative numbers with Alex Smith. He won't tell you the whole story at any point.

The background on Myman is that he has been right on absolutely everything from conference standings, Peyton Manning, Scott Pioli, Matt Cassel, Romeo Crennel, a below .500 record for the 2012 season, Carr vs. Routt, Peyton hillis being Thomas Jones 2.0 and I am sure the list goes on and on.

The thing I was wrong about was when I said Mccluster wouldn't get reps this year.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 07:58 PM
All things equal, Smith is better than Cassel. But it's like going from a Lean Pocket to a Hot Pocket...we're still starving and it's very unfulfulling.

If Smith can come here and be efficient, like Cassel was in 2010, and he has been that last couple of years, they'll win 7-10 games.

If Geno Smith goes on to be a stud though, this is pretty unforgivable.

As the QB position goes it is a slight upgrade, but a downgrade for our team. Because we traded so much for him, it basically says THIS is our qb for a good amount of years. I just don't see how Smith + Joeckel if we go that route like everyone says we will is better than resigning Albert, drafting Geno and drafting a good CB in the second round.

But whatever.

ctchiefsfan
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Francisco....

matthewschiefs has told you the TRUTH. MyManHali is certainly the smartest football guy in the whole world (in his mind) and it is a waste of bandwidth to respond to anything he says. Put the guy on your ignore list where both he and My Man Orton belong.

He kept screaming for months after Orton signed with Dallas that Orton needed to be our starting QB. This guy is so delusional that he honestly thinks he should be an NFL GM. :SmokinBanana:

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Francisco....

matthewschiefs has told you the TRUTH. MyManHali is certainly the smartest football guy in the whole world (in his mind) and it is a waste of bandwidth to respond to anything he says. Put the guy on your ignore list where both he and My Man Orton belong.

He kept screaming for months after Orton signed with Dallas that Orton needed to be our starting QB. This guy is so delusional that he honestly thinks he should be an NFL GM. :SmokinBanana:

Who in the end was right, and who was wrong?

FranciscoD'anconia
02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions, but all I know is you guys are going from the lowest rated QB in the NFL to the third highest rated. You are going from the coach of one the lowest rated offenses in the NFL to a coach who has consistently had his team's offense ranked near the top. You're returning a bunch of probowl guys on defense. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft. You have a lot to be excited about. This move is one of them.

matthewschiefs
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
The background on Myman is that he has been right on absolutely everything from conference standings, Peyton Manning, Scott Pioli, Matt Cassel, Romeo Crennel, a below .500 record for the 2012 season, Carr vs. Routt, Peyton hillis being Thomas Jones 2.0 and I am sure the list goes on and on.

The thing I was wrong about was when I said Mccluster wouldn't get reps this year.

Well at least you can finally admit to the Mccluster thing

YOu have been right about alot of things. I was more talking about your outlook on players. There are players you like that you won't say one bad word about even when it's deserved like Bowe for example. He got outplayed against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL this past season by the backup TE and not a word is spoken and when i do i was just "making excuses for Cassel" Then there are players who you don't like who you will never give credit where credit is due. Like Cassel and now it seems Smith. Smith was pretty bad his first few years. No one can deny that. You can't ignore that. But you also can't ignore how much his play improved when he got a good head coach. So is it just that he suddenly got better or maybe coaching had something to do with it. It's fair to question that. Wouldn't you say. I mean to go from being the starting qb on a team that got blown out by that horrible matt Cassel in 2010 to being a muffed punt away from the superbowl doesn't just happen by itself. Andy Reid is better then the 2 coaches Smith played most his time under with the 49ers he is known for his work with QBs. So maybe just Maybe this move works out. There's no clear sign one way or the other when it comes to Smith. He's had good and bad. We are going to find out which he is. But he is not Matt Cassel. He might have put up some numbers like Cassel throughout his time but he has also done things Cassel hasn't theres things that go both ways on him.

slc chief
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Who in the end was right, and who was wrong?

suprise myman shows up only when there is smack to talk. fair weather fan. to the fullest

Bike
02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow. This new regime hasn't even made it to training camp yet and already they are destroying an already destroyed team by giving away badly needed draft picks for mediocre backups. I'm seriously getting tired of this clown show.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Well at least you can finally admit to the Mccluster thing

YOu have been right about alot of things. I was more talking about your outlook on players. There are players you like that you won't say one bad word about even when it's deserved like Bowe for example. He got outplayed against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL this past season by the backup TE and not a word is spoken and when i do i was just "making excuses for Cassel" Then there are players who you don't like who you will never give credit where credit is due. Like Cassel and now it seems Smith. Smith was pretty bad his first few years. No one can deny that. You can't ignore that. But you also can't ignore how much his play improved when he got a good head coach. So is it just that he suddenly got better or maybe coaching had something to do with it. It's fair to question that. Wouldn't you say. I mean to go from being the starting qb on a team that got blown out by that horrible matt Cassel in 2010 to being a muffed punt away from the superbowl doesn't just happen by itself. Andy Reid is better then the 2 coaches Smith played most his time under with the 49ers he is known for his work with QBs. So maybe just Maybe this move works out. There's no clear sign one way or the other when it comes to Smith. He's had good and bad. We are going to find out which he is. But he is not Matt Cassel. He might have put up some numbers like Cassel throughout his time but he has also done things Cassel hasn't theres things that go both ways on him.

The comparisons between Cassel are needed, I don't think Smith is on par with Cassel, but I do think they are in teh same boat. There are a ton of things identical between the two and we just gave up 2 high draft picks for an average veteran qb. This site, like Chiefs Planet should be pissed off.

He is a manager Matt, that is what he is. He has made good decisions but has had the number 1 rushing attack and defense, he just reminds me of Matt Cassel, and we are trading 2 high draft picks for him. The whole situation makes me sick.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Can some one explain this to me:

"Because there exists a QB who became a worse player after his best season, therefor anyone who had a season comparable to that player's best season must be a bad player."

That's what I'm hearing over and over. Matt Cassel had a good season and then he sucked. We all know that. Why does that have to do with anything else? Does every personnel guy who studies game film have to go, "Wait. This guy had a season who's numbers are comparable to this Matt Cassel guy's numbers from his best season. Hold on. That must mean that this guy is going to become a bad player." Huh? What? Why would Dorsey or Reid care one bit about what happened to one specific guy who has nothing to do with their 2013 KC Chiefs? So this particular guy we're talking about happens to have been a Chief. How does that mean he has some magical ability to rub off his lack of mojo onto some one else any more than anyone else? Why not cherry pick some QB who then went on to be a better player? Who cares about Matt Cassel!

I don't like Smith because he is not a franchise calibur qb. He needs a GREAT ground game and a good defense to win. He is an average quarterback that we just traded 2 high draft picks for.

nigeriannightmare
02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't like Smith because he is not a franchise calibur qb. He needs a GREAT ground game and a good defense to win. He is an average quarterback that we just traded 2 high draft picks for.

Weren't you stoked to have acquired the services from someone who helped build the packers. If he pulled the trigger on the deal they must have some faith. You are showing very little on someone you thought very highly of.

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Weren't you stoked to have acquired the services from someone who helped build the packers. If he pulled the trigger on the deal they must have some faith. You are showing very little on someone you thought very highly of.

Yes, I was very happy with the Reid and Dorsey hire. I am not happy at all with this move. Giving up our high draft picks for an average injury prone qb is not a step forward.

BayArea
02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
As a lifelong 49er fan let me tell you guys you either got a band aid or a slow painful death. Alex Smith has the ability to be serviceable for a team that caters to his strengths and builds an entire team and game plan around him. Your coach has got to be smart and I mean damn smart to win with him.

I really feel for you guys burning a 2nd round pick on him. That is a ripoff in my opinion as I would have given no more than a mid 3rd early 4th on a good day for him. Who knows though Andy Reid might gel with Alex but only if he takes a page from Harbaugh's book and gives him a good defense/special teams, paired with a strong running game and short play action passes.

Good luck to you guys. Blows when your team is drafting first overall I know this and been there done that. I like Alex Smith and will be rooting for him to succeed as long as it isn't against my team. I really don't have a lot of hate for the Chiefs anyway, we never play you guys and when we do the games usually mean nothing. Take care.

Chiefster
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
...Good luck to you guys. Blows when your team is drafting first overall I know this and been there done that. I like Alex Smith and will be rooting for him to succeed as long as it isn't against my team. I really don't have a lot of hate for the Chiefs anyway, we never play you guys and when we do the games usually mean nothing. Take care.

Appreciate the sentiment! :smile

MyManHali
02-27-2013, 11:14 PM
As a lifelong 49er fan let me tell you guys you either got a band aid or a slow painful death. Alex Smith has the ability to be serviceable for a team that caters to his strengths and builds an entire team and game plan around him. Your coach has got to be smart and I mean damn smart to win with him.

I really feel for you guys burning a 2nd round pick on him. That is a ripoff in my opinion as I would have given no more than a mid 3rd early 4th on a good day for him. Who knows though Andy Reid might gel with Alex but only if he takes a page from Harbaugh's book and gives him a good defense/special teams, paired with a strong running game and short play action passes.

Good luck to you guys. Blows when your team is drafting first overall I know this and been there done that. I like Alex Smith and will be rooting for him to succeed as long as it isn't against my team. I really don't have a lot of hate for the Chiefs anyway, we never play you guys and when we do the games usually mean nothing. Take care.

Thank you for your condolonces.

texaschief
02-28-2013, 02:36 AM

Geno Smith couldn't win with 2 NFL caliber WR's at his disposal. Everything you like about Geno Smith, you should like about Alex Smith. There are very few differences.

As the QB position goes it is a slight upgrade, but a downgrade for our team. Because we traded so much for him, it basically says THIS is our qb for a good amount of years. I just don't see how Smith + Joeckel if we go that route like everyone says we will is better than resigning Albert, drafting Geno and drafting a good CB in the second round.

But whatever.

Alex and Geno are similar players. You don't see how spending only 800 draft points on a similar QB is better than spending 3000? You don't see how spending only $4m/yr on a LT UPGRADE is better than spending the $15m/yr Albert is rumored to be asking for? You're getting the consensus BEST QB option available in Alex Smith AND you're getting an upgrade at LT in Joekel for essentially 1/4 of the price. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can justify spending 4x the amount of draft points on Geno over Alex OR justify spending 4x the amount of money on Albert over Joekel. Even if you argue Geno is better than Alex, he's not 4x better. Any argument is immediately rendered invalid when put in this context.

MyManHali
02-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Geno Smith couldn't win with 2 NFL caliber WR's at his disposal. Everything you like about Geno Smith, you should like about Alex Smith. There are very few differences.

Alex and Geno are similar players. You don't see how spending only 800 draft points on a similar QB is better than spending 3000? You don't see how spending only $4m/yr on a LT UPGRADE is better than spending the $15m/yr Albert is rumored to be asking for? You're getting the consensus BEST QB option available in Alex Smith AND you're getting an upgrade at LT in Joekel for essentially 1/4 of the price. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can justify spending 4x the amount of draft points on Geno over Alex OR justify spending 4x the amount of money on Albert over Joekel. Even if you argue Geno is better than Alex, he's not 4x better. Any argument is immediately rendered invalid when put in this context.

Alex Smith and Geno Smith are 2 complete different quarterbacks. Alex Smith is a conservative, check down qb who is accurate in the short to intermediate range while Geno is more of an aggressive, look down field type of qb. The only comparison you could make is their mobility.

I don't know how much Albert wants and neither do you. You left out some important details like losing our 34th overall pick as well as a possible third round pick in 2014 because of the Smith trade. Now let's consider all things. Luke Joeckel had a medicore combine, in fact in many mocks he has been bumped from the number 1 spot and some have Eric Fisher to be the better prospect.

Now let's compare what we did to what we could have. Even IF Geno and Smith were the same exact players you still get more from not trading for smith.

Resigning Albert + Geno + 34th pick (2nd round pick of 2013) + Third rounder in 2014 vs. Alex Smith and Luke Joeckel.

Who do you think wins?

FranciscoD'anconia
02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Just because you're trading a cannon of an arm and a gunslinger mentality for accuracy, ability to read defenses and make plays in the short and intermediate passing game doesn't mean you aren't getting a potential "franchise QB". This is what Reid's system is and Alex Smith was born to play in this type of a system. Geno Smith does not go through his progressions well enough to run Reid's system. Don't believe me? Just youtube "Geno Smith" and watch his "highlights". You never see him throw to his second or third option. Do the same with Andrew Luck or any other high draft pick over the last several years and they do. This would not work in Reid's system. Alex Smith, on the other hand, would be more effective in Reid's system than in the ones he's come from. A guy who can post a 104 QB rating in a system not designed for him can do quite a bit of damage with coach Reid.

FranciscoD'anconia
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Now let's compare what we did to what we could have. Even IF Geno and Smith were the same exact players you still get more from not trading for smith.

Resigning Albert + Geno + 34th pick (2nd round pick of 2013) + Third rounder in 2014 vs. Alex Smith and Luke Joeckel.

Who do you think wins?

On the right side of the equation I'm not seeing, "Player signed with the additional cap space". Albert's number could be more than Smith's, certainly would be if he's franchised, and the early 2nd would be something. You need to see how the entire off season plays out and what the entire roster is before complaining about it. Also, as has been reported several times, the deal isn't done and they're still working out details involving what draft picks the Chiefs would get back from the 9ers. We don't know what that is yet.

texaschief
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
All the reports are assuming the Chiefs are giving up #34 this year. All I've seen is that the Chiefs are trading a 2nd round pick to the 49ers. All the Chiefs have to do is move up one spot from their 3rd round selection and they'll have another 2nd round pick. Reporters are making the jump that it's going to be #34. The deal isn't complete until the 12th and that gives the Chiefs at least 2 weeks to acquire the pick they'll send to SF if it's not #34.

doobs_05
02-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Also the other thing you should know about MMH is that he called it with the chiefs going 2-14 (maybe it was 3-13) and A LOT OF POSTERS here gave him a lot of s*it and thought he was dumb for thinking the chiefs were going to lose to the raiders and other "cream puff" teams

doobs_05
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Also, it's not hard for CANex Smith to get a QBR above 100 when he throws short passes all day, 182 yards 1 TD, one of our CAN QBs put up numbers better then that. Stop the run, make CANex Smith beat you with his arm, game plan for every team vs the chiefs

FranciscoD'anconia
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Also, it's not hard for CANex Smith to get a QBR above 100 when he throws short passes all day, 182 yards 1 TD, one of our CAN QBs put up numbers better then that. Stop the run, make CANex Smith beat you with his arm, game plan for every team vs the chiefs

That's not exactly true. QB rating does take into account yards per pass play. What you're saying would be true for the completion percentage stat, not the QB rating stat. As far as game plans being to stop the run? You better hope that that's what it is. Wait until you see the offense that Andy Reid unleashes if teams game plan to stop the run instead of the pass.

I really don't care who predicted what record and what player is going to be a bust. That doesn't mean anything to me and has nothing to do with any points I've made. My point is that you are going from the lowest rated QB in the NFL to the third highest. That's a big jump. Couple that with a new great coach who knows the offensive game, and you guys are in for a fun, exciting and very good season. Enjoy it.

MyManHali
02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
All the reports are assuming the Chiefs are giving up #34 this year. All I've seen is that the Chiefs are trading a 2nd round pick to the 49ers. All the Chiefs have to do is move up one spot from their 3rd round selection and they'll have another 2nd round pick. Reporters are making the jump that it's going to be #34. The deal isn't complete until the 12th and that gives the Chiefs at least 2 weeks to acquire the pick they'll send to SF if it's not #34.

Why didn't you weigh that in your equation?

There is also a mid 2014 pick which is believed to be a 3rd or 4th round pick depending on how Smith does.

N TX Dave
02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Well guys and gals we might as well give up on the season already because this management is no better than the last one, giving up a draft pick for a bad backup QB from a different team and everyone knows backups are never any good, they are losers that shouldn't even be allowed in the league. Again we are getting a #1 draft pick QB who can say any of this years QB would be any better with the first pick?

Everyone just needs to settle down and see how the team shapes up before falling on their sword.

matthewschiefs
02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Well guys and gals we might as well give up on the season already because this management is no better than the last one, giving up a draft pick for a bad backup QB from a different team and everyone knows backups are never any good, they are losers that shouldn't even be allowed in the league. Again we are getting a #1 draft pick QB who can say any of this years QB would be any better with the first pick?

Everyone just needs to settle down and see how the team shapes up before falling on their sword.

WHAT you mean they can still improve the team in the rest of the offseason and they might have more moves planned? This move doesn't make our roster official? You want us to wait till the whole offseasons over before making our judgements on how this team is going to look. Such outlandish views you have :biggrin:

N TX Dave
02-28-2013, 02:57 PM
I just read this and think it states it pretty clear, it also goes on it say that this happened within 24 hours of the combine -
Chiefs options at quarterback were these: 1. Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16698/brady-quinn) and/or Ricky Stanzi (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/131467/ricky-stanzi)
2. Draft a quarterback
3. Another free agent quarterback
The Chiefs chose none of the above.
The Chiefs were in the best possible position of any team to pick out any available quarterback this year, whether that's in free agency, a trade or the draft. And they traded for Alex Smith. What does that tell you about what Andy Reid and John Dorsey thought about this year's crop of free agent and draft-eligible quarterbacks?

texaschief
02-28-2013, 03:10 PM

I love this argument against Alex Smith. What's even funnier is that it usually comes from those who love Geno Smith. Last season, Alex Smith average 8 yards per completion. Geno Smith on the other hand, averaged a staggering 8.1. You're not going to throw for a high completion percentage if you're throwing down field on a regular basis. If you love Geno Smith's completion percentage of 71.2, you have to love Alex Smith's of 70.2. These two guys ran essentially the same exact type of offense. If you're going to buy in to all of Geno's over inflated numbers, you have to do the same for Alex.

Why didn't you weigh that in your equation?

There is also a mid 2014 pick which is believed to be a 3rd or 4th round pick depending on how Smith does.

Because I was trying to present a "worst-case" scenario where the Chiefs gave up #34 and a 3rd round pick bringing the total to 800 points. Either way you slice it, the Chiefs are going to give up a pick that falls somewhere between the late 2nd or early 3rd rounds. Either the Chiefs are going to be good and select toward the end of each round next season or they'll be bad and pick at the beginning. Not much wriggle room there. The pick will be worth somewhere between 300 and 200 points. That pick combined with #34 worth 560 pts puts the Chiefs' package around 800 points. If the pick point value slips to something like 600 points, the argument for a QB #1 overall becomes even that much more ludicrous. Instead of a QB #1 overall being essentially 4x better than Alex Smith, now you're saying he's 5x better.

I could care less about the pick we'll have to give up next season. If the rumors of Albert wanting $15m/yr are true, the Chiefs will probably end up with a 3rd round comp pick for him anyway. So, we'll still have a pick in that round. I don't like the idea of giving up #34 for Smith, but if you were ok with the idea of taking a QB with that pick, you should be happy that the Chiefs were able to land the consensus best option on this year's QB market in A. Smith. I don't see the problem. Instead of getting an unknown commodity in one of the rookies, we get a guy who has 8 years experience, a guy our front office thinks will perform well in their system, a guy who's a proven NFL Playoff game winner, and a guy who has gone 20-5 over the last two seasons as a starter in this league. If Smith's numbers were in decline, like say that record is what he did 4 years ago, then I'd be a little more worried. But he's been getting better and better as his career has progressed. Like I've said before, the precedent was set as far as potential backup to starter trades going for 2nd round picks. Shaub, Flynn, Kolb, Palmer, Cassel, etc all went for at least one 2nd round pick if not more. It's the price of doing business in a down year for rookie QB's.

The Chiefs with Andy Reid and John Dorsey basically had their pick of who they wanted to play QB this offseason. They have basically set the bar and said "Alex Smith is the best QB available on this market." So, if teams who still need QB's are thinking they could find an elite talent later in the first or in the 2nd, they've suddenly been given a rude wake-up call. The Chiefs trading for Alex Smith was probably the best thing that could've happened for this rookie QB class. I think that with Alex Smith off the market, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Ryan Nassib just took a giant leap up the draft board. I don't think there's any way Geno falls out of the top 10 at this point. I think it also pretty much guarantees at least 3 QB's off the board in the first round. I think it also makes the Chiefs' #1 pick a lot more valuable. With Jax sitting at #2 and needing a QB, a QB-needy team like Oak, Buf, or NY could get anxious and desperate enough to trade up to ensure they get their guy before Jax gets to pick. I also wouldn't be shocked if Jax decided to trade up one spot to ensure their selection either.

I don't think there's any doubt that Alex Smith was probably the best option available via trade. If Foles were available, I think we'd have Foles instead. Free agency doesn't have any serious options available either. So, if you're a QB-needy team, the next best options are going to be the top 2 or 3 QB's in this draft. It's going to come down to how desperate these teams are at upgrading that spot and how willing they are to risk the best players at that position falling through the first round. Make no mistake about it, the Chiefs' #1 pick just became exponentially more valuable than it was 48 hours ago.

Lord-Chiefy
02-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Ummm Alex has won a bunch of NFL games and play offs... geno??? Um none!!!!!!!@!@

Chiefster
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Ummm Alex has won a bunch of NFL games and play offs... geno??? Um none!!!!!!!@!@

I hear what your saying but the same logic could be used to state that Geno has not lost any NFL games as well.

N TX Dave
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
I hear what your saying but the same logic could be used to state that Geno has not lost any NFL games as well.
Using that logic Ricky Stanzi is a great NFL QB he has been in the league two years and not lost one game or thrown an interception.

Chiefster
02-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Using that logic Ricky Stanzi is a great NFL QB he has been in the league two years and not lost one game or thrown an interception.

:lol: Good point.

BayArea
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Guys don't hate Alex so soon. Give him a chance. With your new head coach and the type of team you got around him (no short of talent) don't be surprised to be in the playoffs. I am not overlooking Alex's faults because he has a lot.

If Andy can put Alex in the position to make short accurate passes to sure handed receivers I guarantee you guys win 10 games at least. Establish the run and give Alex play action threats and a good defense no chance you guys miss the playoffs. It isn't all doom and gloom and this is a weak draft so that second round pick is not worth as much as you think (I am not so happy about that for my 49ers).

Well anyway the only reason I post here is because I like Alex Smith and feel bad for him. I hope he gets you guys some wins. Only place my team can play against yours is in the superbowl so I guess I might be sorta a Kansas City Chiefs fan next regular season (quietly). It's weird this is the 4th QB we traded to you guys. It was weird seeing Joe Montana wearing #19 in your guy's jersey. Is #11 retired on your team as well?

matthewschiefs
02-28-2013, 08:20 PM
I love this argument against Alex Smith. What's even funnier is that it usually comes from those who love Geno Smith. Last season, Alex Smith average 8 yards per completion. Geno Smith on the other hand, averaged a staggering 8.1. You're not going to throw for a high completion percentage if you're throwing down field on a regular basis. If you love Geno Smith's completion percentage of 71.2, you have to love Alex Smith's of 70.2. These two guys ran essentially the same exact type of offense. If you're going to buy in to all of Geno's over inflated numbers, you have to do the same for Alex.

Oh come on Texas that .1 difference is HUGE how many games have we seen come down to .1th of a yard. SO many like ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the Rams Titians Superbowl?

MyManHali
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Guys don't hate Alex so soon. Give him a chance. With your new head coach and the type of team you got around him (no short of talent) don't be surprised to be in the playoffs. I am not overlooking Alex's faults because he has a lot.

If Andy can put Alex in the position to make short accurate passes to sure handed receivers I guarantee you guys win 10 games at least. Establish the run and give Alex play action threats and a good defense no chance you guys miss the playoffs. It isn't all doom and gloom and this is a weak draft so that second round pick is not worth as much as you think (I am not so happy about that for my 49ers).

Well anyway the only reason I post here is because I like Alex Smith and feel bad for him. I hope he gets you guys some wins. Only place my team can play against yours is in the superbowl so I guess I might be sorta a Kansas City Chiefs fan next regular season (quietly). It's weird this is the 4th QB we traded to you guys. It was weird seeing Joe Montana wearing #19 in your guy's jersey. Is #11 retired on your team as well?

We don't have a 2nd CB, we don't have any depth in the secondary, we don't have a second or third WR, we don't have a RB to compliment JC, and the list goes on and on. And people are on this site that don't have a problem trading such a high pick for such a mediocre qb.

We don't have a stacked team like SF does. We don't have the number 1 rushing/defense, those are things he needs in order to be successful. The fact that we traded picks THAT HIGH for him is inexcusable. Didn't you just come in here and talk about how bad of a trade it was for us?

Montana-Bono-Grbac-Smith.

WE DONT WANY ANYMORE OF YOUR QBs.

jap1
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Make no mistake about it, the Chiefs' #1 pick just became exponentially more valuable than it was 48 hours ago.

Thats an interesting thought that I like. I hope we can trade down, preferably into the teens, but I would be ok with top 10. I also hear you on the comparison to the other backup QBs that were traded. Initially I thought we gave up way too much. They were talking about this on ESPN last night (or maybe NFL network) and comparing Smith to Schaub, Flynn, Kolb, etc and basically saying this is what it takes to get at least an average QB, and most of the guys on the network were saying that Smith is better than most players on that list of QB trades.

jap1
02-28-2013, 08:25 PM
We don't have a 2nd CB, we don't have any depth in the secondary, we don't have a second or third WR, we don't have a RB to compliment JC, and the list goes on and on. And people are on this site that don't have a problem trading such a high pick for such a mediocre qb.

We don't have a stacked team like SF does. We don't have the number 1 rushing/defense, those are things he needs in order to be successful. The fact that we traded picks THAT HIGH for him is inexcusable. Didn't you just come in here and talk about how bad of a trade it was for us?

I dont know about you but if they had another Montana available, I would trade a couple 1sts for him in a heart beat. Then again, he is my childhood hero and the reason (along with D.T., N. Smith, and Okoye) Im a chiefs fan, so Im a little biased. LOL!

BayArea
02-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Bro that post is pretty awesome. lol We don't want to give you anymore QBs!!! Don't worry.

I am not comparing teams here. You are selling your defense short though. They might be 20th overall in total defense but in my opinion played better than they get credit for. Andy Reid will transform that offense and you will more than likely see a very dynamic offense. You guys had #5 ranked yards per gain rushing offense. Your premier back ran for 1500 yards. I would say you guys are set up for a run for sure.

Sometimes all it takes is a new head coach. Andy Reid had nothing that he needed in Philly. He has a lot of what he needs in KC.

I find it weird that I as a 49er fan is trying to convince a KC fan that his team might be good. lol usually I am trying to convince 49er fans that our team is good. haha

matthewschiefs
02-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Bro that post is pretty awesome. lol We don't want to give you anymore QBs!!! Don't worry.

I am not comparing teams here. You are selling your defense short though. They might be 20th overall in total defense but in my opinion played better than they get credit for. Andy Reid will transform that offense and you will more than likely see a very dynamic offense. You guys had #5 ranked yards per gain rushing offense. Your premier back ran for 1500 yards. I would say you guys are set up for a run for sure.

Sometimes all it takes is a new head coach. Andy Reid had nothing that he needed in Philly. He has a lot of what he needs in KC.

I find it weird that I as a 49er fan is trying to convince a KC fan that his team might be good. lol usually I am trying to convince 49er fans that our team is good. haha

That's something I think you saw once you got your coach in place. The coaches before were not good at all. Once you got a good coach Smith started to play like a good QB. A good friend of mine is a 49ers fan I heard him curse the name Alex Smith for years. Yesterday he was saying he wished you kept him as backup just in case something happened to Kaepernick coaching goes a LONG way. Smith won in the playoffs for you guys He can do it in KC Myself I wouldn't mind Smith getting a chance to show you what you're missing in the Super bowl sometime soon

texaschief
02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Talking with Myman is like constantly talking someone off a ledge. We have a couple good complimentary RBs behind Charles in Draughn and Gray (plus we still have the draft and free agency left to go). We DO need another CB. He's wrong about WR because we will probably bring back Bowe. Baldwin needs a little more coaching but he's got immense talent and he'll be a good if not great WR in the future. McCluster is still there and Jamar Newsome did some really good things last season as well. I'd like to see the Chiefs bring in Jennings from Green Bay, but I don't think that kind of acquisition is necessary.

The Chiefs have the talent to be a top-flight defense if they could ever get off the field. When this team starts to score points, the defense will take a huge step forward. There's no doubt the passing game will be exponentially better than it was last year. The Chiefs have a top 5 running game to go with it. I don't subscribe to the notion that "the best defense is a good offense," but it certainly helps. Control the ball, stop turning it over, and you're going to see the defense leap to the top of the heap in a hurry. If this offense can find a way to score first and take some of the pressure off the defense, they can pin their ears back and get after the opponent a little more instead of being conservative and playing on their heels the whole game.

The Chiefs just needed average QB play to become contenders and they got more than that by acquiring Alex Smith.

nigeriannightmare
02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I just love the fact that my man Hali is declaring war on a guy he wanted to come in and run this franchise. If Dempsey and Reid think Alex smith is the best option we have we have to believe it. If you don't then you really never wanted Dempsey to come here to begin with and are just a complete and total pessimist. No matter how right u were last year you have nothing to base it on. Reid is not crennel and Dempsey is not pioli. Dempsey has said since DAY 1 BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. It's obvious that Dempsey did not feel Geno was the BPA. So if Dempsey has a nack for finding the best talent shouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt.

texaschief
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
I just love the fact that my man Hali is declaring war on a guy he wanted to come in and run this franchise. If Dempsey and Reid think Alex smith is the best option we have we have to believe it. If you don't then you really never wanted Dempsey to come here to begin with and are just a complete and total pessimist. No matter how right u were last year you have nothing to base it on. Reid is not crennel and Dempsey is not pioli. Dempsey has said since DAY 1 BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. It's obvious that Dempsey did not feel Geno was the BPA. So if Dempsey has a nack for finding the best talent shouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dorsey... not Dempsey

matthewschiefs
02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Talking with Myman is like constantly talking someone off a ledge. We have a couple good complimentary RBs behind Charles in Draughn and Gray (plus we still have the draft and free agency left to go). We DO need another CB. He's wrong about WR because we will probably bring back Bowe. Baldwin needs a little more coaching but he's got immense talent and he'll be a good if not great WR in the future. McCluster is still there and Jamar Newsome did some really good things last season as well. I'd like to see the Chiefs bring in Jennings from Green Bay, but I don't think that kind of acquisition is necessary.

The Chiefs have the talent to be a top-flight defense if they could ever get off the field. When this team starts to score points, the defense will take a huge step forward. There's no doubt the passing game will be exponentially better than it was last year. The Chiefs have a top 5 running game to go with it. I don't subscribe to the notion that "the best defense is a good offense," but it certainly helps. Control the ball, stop turning it over, and you're going to see the defense leap to the top of the heap in a hurry. If this offense can find a way to score first and take some of the pressure off the defense, they can pin their ears back and get after the opponent a little more instead of being conservative and playing on their heels the whole game.

The Chiefs just needed average QB play to become contenders and they got more than that by acquiring Alex Smith.

The defense was hurt alot by the offense they were also like the offense hurt by the HORRIBLE coaching. Once Gibbs took over as DC they started playing well. We even saw Tyson Jackson get a sack I think 3 games in a row. That says alot about the coaching staff.

The backfield has a couple of young RBs that you mentioned that looked like they could be something Mccluster also can be used out of the backfield the guy was getting over 5 YPC last year. It's not his fault the head coach couldn't say gee he's been good out of the backfield maybe we should give him some more carries to keep it up.

This team has weapons on both sides of the ball and now a PROVEN head coach to use those weapons. We need anther CB and anther pass rusher on defense I still really hope the 1st pick is Jarvis Jones myself but I don't think that will happen

On offense I would love to get Jennings just incase Baldwin never becomes what we thought he could. Baldwin has shown glimpses of being really good but has never been able to put it together. I think it would be wise to grab anther wr just incase Baldwin just can't ever play up to his talent in the NFL. We also need some more depth on the O line. This might have been the best 2-14 team ever if that makes any sense lol

nigeriannightmare
02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Dorsey... not Dempsey

I don't know why I keep doing that. Part sofa king i guess. But u get what I'm saying.

MyManHali
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Because it is the same garbage every year. We trade high draft picks for a mediocre FA qb, doesnt that sound familiar? This move won't bring us any closer to the sb, in fact it takes us a step back.

Instead of getting a good qb through the draft, resigning Albert and spending our 34th pick on a need position, or even trading for more picks to fill more needs, we get a mediocre qb and a LT that we don't need.

Prepare for another mediocre-losing season.

Bike
02-28-2013, 10:17 PM
I agree with MMH here. A team that finished 32nd in the league in total offense can ill afford to be trading away high draft picks for backups.

texaschief
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Because it is the same garbage every year. We trade high draft picks for a mediocre FA qb, doesnt that sound familiar? This move won't bring us any closer to the sb, in fact it takes us a step back.

Instead of getting a good qb through the draft, resigning Albert and spending our 34th pick on a need position, or even trading for more picks to fill more needs, we get a mediocre qb and a LT that we don't need.

Prepare for another mediocre-losing season.

I'm sorry, bud but Geno Smith is NOT what you think he is. Is he the best QB in the draft? Maybe. Does that mean he's better than Alex Smith? Nope. The Chiefs still have the #1 pick and it's in the hands of a staff that includes guys who like to move around on draft day. The LT at #1 hasn't been executed yet...

I promise... everything is going to be ok. You're among people who love you. Why don't you come on back inside and we'll talk about this over a beer. There's no reason to jump.

texaschief
02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
I agree with MMH here. A team that finished 32nd in the league in total offense can ill afford to be trading away high draft picks for backups.

No, they can "ill afford" to spend 3000 points on a busted QB who's going to put this franchise down for another 4 years. At least we're getting a guy with the 2nd round pick that has proven he can get it done at the NFL level instead of HOPING Geno Smith can get it done.

Bike
02-28-2013, 10:26 PM
The only thing Alex Smith has proved is that he can lose his job to an unproven rookie - and he did it well.

matthewschiefs
02-28-2013, 10:28 PM
The only thing Alex Smith has proved is that he can lose his job to an unproven rookie - and he did it well.

Ya it's not like he has won in the playoffs or anything or been in the top 10 in QBR oh wait he has

Bike
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
I think even Matt Cassel has some of those accolades...

Chiefster
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I think even Matt Cassel has some of those accolades...

I don't think Cassel has any playoff wins.

Bike
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Dogonne it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chiefster
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Dogonne it!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

OTR Chiefs fan
03-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Ya it's not like he has won in the playoffs or anything or been in the top 10 in QBR oh wait he has

I totally agree. The only reason Smith lost his job is because Harbuagh wanted Kapernick to start in the first place. He was just waiting for the opportunity to put him in. Not because Smith was playing poorly.

BayArea
03-01-2013, 12:17 AM
I totally agree. The only reason Smith lost his job is because Harbuagh wanted Kapernick to start in the first place. He was just waiting for the opportunity to put him in. Not because Smith was playing poorly.

Give him a break though. Alex has played better than your QBs as of late. That is fact.

If you are tired of me posting here I will **** off. Don't want to annoy you guys as a 49er fan. Just trying to let you all know you aren't as screwed as you think.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 01:01 AM
No, they can "ill afford" to spend 3000 points on a busted QB who's going to put this franchise down for another 4 years. At least we're getting a guy with the 2nd round pick that has proven he can get it done at the NFL level instead of HOPING Geno Smith can get it done.

Matt Cassel was a FA bust that screwed us up for 4 years. No point here. With all of his awful years as a qb you are still HOPING Smith can be productive without a stacked team or harbaugh.

Right?

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Give him a break though. Alex has played better than your QBs as of late. That is fact.

If you are tired of me posting here I will **** off. Don't want to annoy you guys as a 49er fan. Just trying to let you all know you aren't as screwed as you think.

Why is that always the comparison? "But hes better than Cassel." Who cares, for what we gave up we should of picked up an *** kicking fool and he is no *** kicking fool. He is Captain Checkdown, he has come to save America!

BTW, your first post on here criticizing Alex Smith has made me one of your biggest fans.

Chiefster
03-01-2013, 01:08 AM

I don't think you've annoyed anyone that I can tell.

texaschief
03-01-2013, 01:19 AM
You're flying off the deep end because the Chiefs didn't purchase a prime steak when there was only choice available at market. Of the steaks available, the Chiefs got the best cut for 1/4 the price of the next best cut. The best option happened to have been an 8 year pro and very successful over the last 2 seasons. Alex Smith is the best option in this year's QB market, plain and simple.

Either you're a fan of this team or you're not. Make a choice. You can't praise the hiring of the head coach and G.M. and then question the very first decision they make and say all is lost. You've thrown your allotted 72hr b!tch fit. It's done. Now get the fu@k over it and quit being such a negative nancy.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 01:22 AM
You're flying off the deep end because the Chiefs didn't purchase a prime steak when there was only choice available at market. Of the steaks available, the Chiefs got the best cut for 1/4 the price of the next best cut. The best option happened to have been an 8 year pro and very successful over the last 2 seasons. Alex Smith is the best option in this year's QB market, plain and simple.

Either you're a fan of this team or you're not. Make a choice. You can't praise the hiring of the head coach and G.M. and then question the very first decision they make and say all is lost. You've thrown your allotted 72hr b!tch fit. It's done. Now get the fu@k over it and quit being such a negative nancy.

How did they get the best cut when they gave up basically a first round pick for him plus a third round pick? Answer me that? How did we get the better situation when we saw Geno Smith's stock draft rise and Luke Joeckel's fall?

In the end this is a huge downgrade for our team. Not only do we have holes to fill we blew picks on an average qb and will most likely draft a LT when we already have one, maybe even two. Hell, Stephenson has looked very good at times, and you think this is a good trade, a trade that benefits us?

All of the fa qbs we have acquired has done some awful things to your mind. And yet, here we go again, with another FA qb to start this regime.

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Matt Cassel was a FA bust that screwed us up for 4 years. No point here. With all of his awful years as a qb you are still HOPING Smith can be productive without a stacked team or harbaugh.

Right?

WHAT you mean having a good team around you helps? That's the truth with EVERY qb in the NFL. Take Reggie Wayne Marvin Harrison Dallas Clark away from Peyton Manning he might still be good but he wouldn't do nearly as good as he did with them for the colts for all those years. NO QB in the history of the game has ever done it himself. NONE Any QB has to have talent to help. When smith got it he did well. Here's an idea maybe there thinking they are going to get a stacked team around him? You make it sound like there going to say well we got Alex Smith mission accomplished. LETS JUST WAIT TO SEE WHAT ELSE THEY DO. Who else they bring in to go with Smith before we start whining just because they are not chosing Geno Smith

And where did you here Geno's stock was on the rise I never heard anything like that.

How did they get the best cut when they gave up basically a first round pick for him plus a third round pick? Answer me that? How did we get the better situation when we saw Geno Smith's stock draft rise and Luke Joeckel's fall?

In the end this is a huge downgrade for our team. Not only do we have holes to fill we blew picks on an average qb and will most likely draft a LT when we already have one, maybe even two. Hell, Stephenson has looked very good at times, and you think this is a good trade, a trade that benefits us?

All of the fa qbs we have acquired has done some awful things to your mind. And yet, here we go again, with another FA qb to start this regime.

Once again you only want to talk about the negatives when talking about the QBs we got not the way you happen to like. Joe Montana won the last playoff game this team has won. Rich Gannon did well although they made the STUPID choice to let him walk in favor of Grbac (who to this day i still hate) Trent Green had us the number 1 offense for a number of years. But go on pretending this never happened and that it's not possible to get a good QB in the FA markert or trade. A number of QBs have done well with teams that they have signed with or were traded to. INCLUDING IN KC. Smith has done well the last couple of seasons that can't be ignored just like his struggles can't be ignored. The guy has proven he can win in the playoffs. THAT'S FACT but go on pretending that never happened to

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 01:46 AM

You don't have to go anywhere. The Geno Smith worshipers would have done this with any QB not named Geno Smith. That's the only sin Alex has made since the other day his first name is not Geno

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 01:55 AM
WHAT you mean having a good team around you helps? That's the truth with EVERY qb in the NFL. Take Reggie Wayne Marvin Harrison Dallas Clark away from Peyton Manning he might still be good but he wouldn't do nearly as good as he did with them for the colts for all those years. NO QB in the history of the game has ever done it himself. NONE Any QB has to have talent to help. When smith got it he did well. Here's an idea maybe there thinking they are going to get a stacked team around him? You make it sound like there going to say well we got Alex Smith mission accomplished. LETS JUST WAIT TO SEE WHAT ELSE THEY DO. Who else they bring in to go with Smith before we start whining just because they are not chosing Geno Smith

And where did you here Geno's stock was on the rise I never heard anything like that.

Once again you only want to talk about the negatives when talking about the QBs we got not the way you happen to like. Joe Montana won the last playoff game this team has won. Rich Gannon did well although they made the STUPID choice to let him walk in favor of Grbac (who to this day i still hate) Trent Green had us the number 1 offense for a number of years. But go on pretending this never happened and that it's not possible to get a good QB in the FA markert or trade. A number of QBs have done well with teams that they have signed with or were traded to. INCLUDING IN KC. Smith has done well the last couple of seasons that can't be ignored just like his struggles can't be ignored. The guy has proven he can win in the playoffs. THAT'S FACT but go on pretending that never happened to

I said a stacked team, the only time Alex smith has done well is when he has had a stacked team and harbaugh. We don't have either. Do not bring up Peyton Manning to me. You were the one who said a big part of the collapse of the colts was because they didn't have Gary Brackett or Melvin Bullitt. That is a direct quote too. Peyton came in and would play with guys like Blair White and still produce elite numbers.

The Trent Green situation was very different. He came over with a coach that knew him, he also had the best offensive line in the history of the NFL to hide behind as well as the number 1 ground game.

Andy Reid has never worked with Alex Smith. The bad thing is we have seen Alex Smith at his very best with harbaugh, and it isn't impressive at all. He hides behind the running game and offensive line and makes short, conservative throws. This situation and conversation seems very FAMILIAR to me, 2011 and 2012 seasons?

You need to understand this, he is a checkdown quarterback. We gave up EVERYTHING for a check down qb.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 02:00 AM
You don't have to go anywhere. The Geno Smith worshipers would have done this with any QB not named Geno Smith. That's the only sin Alex has made since the other day his first name is not Geno

Did you read his first post here? He is a lifelong 49er fan. Here it is:

texaschief
03-01-2013, 02:16 AM

There you go again... making assumptions. The deal isn't even complete. You don't know the specifics and probably won't for at least a couple more weeks. You don't know what the Chiefs gave up. I sure as hell can tell you that it won't cost the Chiefs 3000 value points to acquire him the way Geno Smith would've. You DO realize that the #1 overall pick is worth about 5 #34's, right? You can sit there and honestly say you think Geno Smith is worth 5 #34 overall picks? Give me a break. As much as you want to dog Alex, he outperformed Geno in college. Alex had a 176.5 QBR to Geno's 163.9. He had a better yards per completion average at 9.3 to Geno's 8.1. Smith had 1 TD for every 92 yards passing while Geno only had one per every 100. Geno had a better completion percentage, but it was only 71 to 68. If you want to see what Geno Smith will be in 8 years... look at Alex Smith and subtract a little. Hopefully Geno won't have to go through 5 coordinators in his first 5 seasons the way Alex did... but they're basically the same player except Geno has a little better deep ball while Alex has more experience and cost a lot less.

I wouldn't listen to the pundits about where the Chiefs will go with #1 overall. I heard one of them say they should sign Albert and move him to RT so they could have a pair of bookend OT's. lol We don't know how they value Albert or Stephenson. I thought Stephenson did a pretty good job last season as well. I don't think Albert is worth the price tag. If he were a Staley, Thomas, Clady, or Gross, that would be one thing. But Albert isn't even a top 10 LT. I'm not inclined to beat the table to bring him back at $8-10m/yr when we could draft a new LT and use the saved money on more WRs, CBs, and depth.

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 02:16 AM
I said a stacked team, the only time Alex smith has done well is when he has had a stacked team and harbaugh. We don't have either. Do not bring up Peyton Manning to me. You were the one who said a big part of the collapse of the colts was because they didn't have Gary Brackett or Melvin Bullitt. That is a direct quote too. Peyton came in and would play with guys like Blair White and still produce elite numbers.

You don't have the right guy there. I've never said anything about Gary Brackett or Melvin Bullitt to be honest I've never heard of either this is what I said last year about Peyton. 1. He didn't do it alone. Marvion Harrison was a DAMNED good WR As was Reggie Wayne and he had Dallas Clark he had weapons he didn't do it himself. And 2. The guy was coming off not 1 not 2 but 4 neck surgeries there was a real question of how he would hold up to a full season. He did it. But there was a real question of if he could do it. You have me confused with someone else about Brackett and Bullitt

Oh and Mr I'm right about everything You last year said that Blair White was a "household name"

The Trent Green situation was very different. He came over with a coach that knew him, he also had the best offensive line in the history of the NFL to hide behind as well as the number 1 ground game.

Andy Reid has never worked with Alex Smith. The bad thing is we have seen Alex Smith at his very best with harbaugh, and it isn't impressive at all. He hides behind the running game and offensive line and makes short, conservative throws. This situation and conversation seems very FAMILIAR to me, 2011 and 2012 seasons?

You need to understand this, he is a checkdown quarterback. We gave up EVERYTHING for a check down qb.

You're right Tent green was different every QB is different from the other QBs. But you only mention the failed QBs that we have picked up in the FA market or through trade you never talk about the ones that did well. Why is that? Because it doesn't suit your opinion?

You're also right the Reid has never worked with Smith but he will get to. Reid has been good at working with QBs. Kevin Kolb looked great with him for a good while. One painful Sunday against us he looked like a HOFER We have a good proven NFL head coach. We might not have a "stacked" team right now but we still have the draft YES WE STILL HAVE PICKS in the draft we only gave 1 for smith this year. And there's the FA market to use as well. Again you make it sound like they are just going to say Well we got Alex Smith we don't need anyone else. That's not going to happen. If we put the right talent around Smith he could do just what he did for the niners the last couple of years. He could fail. But you don't no that. And your statment about giving everything isn't true either we gave 2 picks for him that's not everything. I agree we paid to much but don't exaggerate it just because you don't like it.

texaschief
03-01-2013, 02:22 AM
We gave up EVERYTHING for a check down qb.

:pointlaugh::lol::lol::lol:

Did we draft Geno #1 already?? I must have missed that.

texaschief
03-01-2013, 02:55 AM
49ers v. Chiefs

Offense
OL-
LT Staley/Albert
LG Iupati/Lilja
C Goodwin/Hudson
RG Boone/Asamoah
RT A. Davis/Winston

Who is better on this O-line than the Chiefs were last year? Staley is the one player on that line that I'd absolutely say is better than what the Chiefs had at that position last year.

TE- V. Davis/Moeaki

Vernon Davis is top 3 in this league. Moeaki has a good skill set but isn't on Davis' level.

WR-
Crabtree/Bowe
R. Moss/Baldwin
Ginn/Newsome

The Chiefs top 2 are better than what the 49ers had. Ginn is probably better than Newsome.

RB-
Gore/Charles
James/Hillis

I'd take the Chiefs running game every day of the week.

Defense

DL
LE McDonald/T. Jackson
NT Sopoaga/Poe
RE J. Smith/Dorsey/Pitoitua

Can't say I'd absolutely take any of those guys over what the Chiefs have. In fact, I'd let Jackson and Dorsey walk and still be perfectly satisfied with Pitoitua and Bailey at those spots and still think we're better off than SF.

OLB
A. Brooks/Hali
A. Smith/Houston

C'mon... is this even up for debate?

ILB
Bowman/Johnson
Willis/Siler

Bowman and Johnson are about equal in my opinion. Willis is THE best ILB in the league.

CB
Rogers/Flowers
Brown/Brown

I'd take Flowers over Rogers. I don't know enough about Tarrell Brown to have an opinion on him or Jalil.

S
Whitner/Berry
Goldson/Lewis

I'd take Berry easy. The Chiefs need a FS badly.

I think this team is set up quite nicely to help Alex Smith be just as successful as he was with the 49ers. You don't give the Chiefs enough credit for that talent on this team.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 02:57 AM
There you go again... making assumptions. The deal isn't even complete. You don't know the specifics and probably won't for at least a couple more weeks. You don't know what the Chiefs gave up. I sure as hell can tell you that it won't cost the Chiefs 3000 value points to acquire him the way Geno Smith would've. You DO realize that the #1 overall pick is worth about 5 #34's, right? You can sit there and honestly say you think Geno Smith is worth 5 #34 overall picks? Give me a break. As much as you want to dog Alex, he outperformed Geno in college. Alex had a 176.5 QBR to Geno's 163.9. He had a better yards per completion average at 9.3 to Geno's 8.1. Smith had 1 TD for every 92 yards passing while Geno only had one per every 100. Geno had a better completion percentage, but it was only 71 to 68. If you want to see what Geno Smith will be in 8 years... look at Alex Smith and subtract a little. Hopefully Geno won't have to go through 5 coordinators in his first 5 seasons the way Alex did... but they're basically the same player except Geno has a little better deep ball while Alex has more experience and cost a lot less.

I wouldn't listen to the pundits about where the Chiefs will go with #1 overall. I heard one of them say they should sign Albert and move him to RT so they could have a pair of bookend OT's. lol We don't know how they value Albert or Stephenson. I thought Stephenson did a pretty good job last season as well. I don't think Albert is worth the price tag. If he were a Staley, Thomas, Clady, or Gross, that would be one thing. But Albert isn't even a top 10 LT. I'm not inclined to beat the table to bring him back at $8-10m/yr when we could draft a new LT and use the saved money on more WRs, CBs, and depth.

Wait a second, you think Luke Joeckel is worth 5 #34 picks and he didn't have a great combine. It's not worth that if you're drafting a LT when you already have a LT. We actually have 2 of them.

I go back to my proposal, which sounds better to you? Let's assume that reliable league sources are correct.

Geno Smith + Branden Albert + 34th pick (Starting CB, WR etc..) + 3rd round pick for 2014 vs. Alex Smith and Luke Joeckel.

What would you honestly take?

nigeriannightmare
03-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Wait a second, you think Luke Joeckel is worth 5 #34 picks and he didn't have a great combine. It's not worth that if you're drafting a LT when you already have a LT. We actually have 2 of them.

I go back to my proposal, which sounds better to you? Let's assume that reliable league sources are correct.

Geno Smith + Branden Albert + 34th pick (Starting CB, WR etc..) + 3rd round pick for 2014 vs. Alex Smith and Luke Joeckel.

What would you honestly take?

You do realize if we tag Bowe Alberts return is slim and we find out on Monday. There's no way on earth you think 15 million a year is gonna help this franchise. We would be totally screwed for filling the holes you have so eloquently eluded to. We are not in cap free heaven like everyone seems to think.

nigeriannightmare
03-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Joeckel at $4mill + smith at $8mill + $7mill (Greg Jennings) > Geno at $4mill + Albert at $15 mil. It's not as easy as you think my man Hali. Trust the guy u wanted here in the first place.

Justin5772002
03-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Joeckel at $4mill + smith at $8mill + $7mill (Greg Jennings) > Geno at $4mill + Albert at $15 mil. It's not as easy as you think my man Hali. Trust the guy u wanted here in the first place.

Very well said and I agree 100%. Our players are not bad. Without all the turnovers I believe our defense would dominate! Much rather see a veteran QB there to ensure we don't turn it over so much. Turnovers were my biggest concern with Matt cassell. From what I hear the draft pick we give up in next years draft is based on how well Alex does for us how can that be a bad situation?

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 06:58 PM

1. Cap room because of the salary floor has increased, we are SO FAR from going over the cap.

2. Tyson Jackson is scheduled to make 15 million dollars this year, cut his *** and resign albert.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
BTW Greg Jennings is on the decline, why would you want him? He has had knee problems and has not had a great year in over 2 seasons.

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
BTW Greg Jennings is on the decline, why would you want him? He has had knee problems and has not had a great year in over 2 seasons.

He wouldn't have to be "great" for us with Bowe we just need a solid number 2 Jennings could still fill that role. Not every player on a team is going to be great. Remember the Eagles tried loading up on stars as did the Cowboys in the uncaped season what did that get them? There would be nothing wrong with adding a guy who can still be solid if the price is right. His Knee problems should be considered when working out the price.

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
He wouldn't have to be "great" for us with Bowe we just need a solid number 2 Jennings could still fill that role. Not every player on a team is going to be great. Remember the Eagles tried loading up on stars as did the Cowboys in the uncaped season what did that get them? There would be nothing wrong with adding a guy who can still be solid if the price is right. His Knee problems should be considered when working out the price.

He can't be solid if he is not on the field. He has been plagued by concussion and knee problems. He played 8 games last year.

I don't consider 7-8 million + a "right price."

This is like deja vu all over again. Last year I argued about bringing in injury prone players for fear of them getting hurt and not playing. We were arguing about bringing in John Carlson and Kevin Boss, both didn't even play last year.

nigeriannightmare
03-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Okay we don't have to spend 7mill on Jennings all that means is you can add another player with the money saved which still stands better than giving $15mill to Albert. MMH have you looked at the list of ppl on our team that need to be signed. $11 mill is going to Bowe. Giving us $20 or so to play with u give $15 mill to Albert and we are all in with Bowe and Albert. We are really unlikely to keep both. Colquitt a gonna get at least $3milliom. We are in good shape but we are not in a we can spend whatever on whomever.

nigeriannightmare
03-01-2013, 08:08 PM
And the cap space that was posted on an earlier thread was based on the restructuring or cutting of Dorsey, Jackson, and cassel. We weren't in that great of shape.

matthewschiefs
03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
He can't be solid if he is not on the field. He has been plagued by concussion and knee problems. He played 8 games last year.

I don't consider 7-8 million + a "right price."

This is like deja vu all over again. Last year I argued about bringing in injury prone players for fear of them getting hurt and not playing. We were arguing about bringing in John Carlson and Kevin Boss, both didn't even play last year.

Who says Jennings would get 7-8 million? You don't know that. Every team is going to factor in the injury issue I really don't see him getting that much.

Oh and Boss did play last year not much but he did play

MyManHali
03-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Who says Jennings would get 7-8 million? You don't know that. Every team is going to factor in the injury issue I really don't see him getting that much.

Oh and Boss did play last year not much but he did play

Nigerian said that

nigeriannightmare
03-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Nigerian said that

Well I was trying to make the point that by not giving Albert $15 mill we can get a solid number two WR like a Jennings and maybe someone else to fill in holes. I bought I had read we are like $26 milk under the cap. That's with a restructuring or cutting of cassel and Jackson. The point was we can get three or four players to fill holes vs getting two which is what signing Albert will limit us to.

Chiefster
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Well I was trying to make the point that by not giving Albert $15 mill we can get a solid number two WR like a Jennings and maybe someone else to fill in holes. I bought I had read we are like $26 milk under the cap. That's with a restructuring or cutting of cassel and Jackson. The point was we can get three or four players to fill holes vs getting two which is what signing Albert will limit us to.

Really!!!! You bought milk somewhere that cost $26 a gallon??? Our economy really has tanked in the sequester! :lol:

texaschief
03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
1. Cap room because of the salary floor has increased, we are SO FAR from going over the cap.

2. Tyson Jackson is scheduled to make 15 million dollars this year, cut his *** and resign albert.

$7Million (http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_41615/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=zHtUrX1F&detailindex=3&pn=0&ps=5&full=true#display) in cap space must go a lot further in your mind than anyone else's.

MyManHali
03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
$7Million (http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_41615/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=zHtUrX1F&detailindex=3&pn=0&ps=5&full=true#display) in cap space must go a lot further in your mind than anyone else's.

If you make the appropriate cuts cap isn't an issue. We can resign who we want.

But the Chiefs will carry over $14,079,650 in unused cap money from 2012, leaving them $7,520,530 of cap space.
Not including the contract of Smith, the Chiefs have more than $17 million of salary cap room.

The Chiefs can clear plenty more space under the salary cap by releasing defensive end Tyson Jackson. His salary cap number is almost $17.5 million and he is due a base salary of about $14.7 million. Jackson would cost the Chiefs about $2.5 million if he is released. But that move would still save them about $15 million against their salary cap.The Chiefs would also save almost $6 million against their cap when they trade or release quarterback Matt Cassel.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/01/4094599/chiefs-will-have-75-million-in.html

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/01/4094599/chiefs-will-have-75-million-in.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/01/4094599/chiefs-will-have-75-million-in.html#storylink=cpy

nigeriannightmare
03-03-2013, 08:28 AM
If you make the appropriate cuts cap isn't an issue. We can resign who we want.

But the Chiefs will carry over $14,079,650 in unused cap money from 2012, leaving them $7,520,530 of cap space.
Not including the contract of Smith, the Chiefs have more than $17 million of salary cap room.

The Chiefs can clear plenty more space under the salary cap by releasing defensive end Tyson Jackson. His salary cap number is almost $17.5 million and he is due a base salary of about $14.7 million. Jackson would cost the Chiefs about $2.5 million if he is released. But that move would still save them about $15 million against their salary cap.The Chiefs would also save almost $6 million against their cap when they trade or release quarterback Matt Cassel.

http:p//www.kansascity.com/2013/03/01/4094599/chiefs-will-have-75-million-in.html (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/01/4094599/chiefs-will-have-75-million-in.html)

So we have an additional 21 million which will be all but used up if we retain Bowe and Albert. So keep both Bowe and Albert at let's just say 16 million. Leaving us 12 million to play with. Did you see how many players will need to be replaced if we let them all walk. Colquitt is gonna get like four million so that gives us 8 million to bring in a solid CB, a safety, a tight end, a solid WR, and sign that long list of players who will not be under contract, and its a pretty long list.

So on this topic you are optimistic!???

nigeriannightmare
03-03-2013, 08:30 AM
And yes u found n article that says we have flexibility. But there are also articles declaring Geno not a franchise QB and that Alex Smith is a more than capable QB so.....

MyManHali
03-03-2013, 12:30 PM
So we have an additional 21 million which will be all but used up if we retain Bowe and Albert. So keep both Bowe and Albert at let's just say 16 million. Leaving us 12 million to play with. Did you see how many players will need to be replaced if we let them all walk. Colquitt is gonna get like four million so that gives us 8 million to bring in a solid CB, a safety, a tight end, a solid WR, and sign that long list of players who will not be under contract, and its a pretty long list.

So on this topic you are optimistic!???

I only mentioned 2 players, Cassel and Jackson. Assuming they would make more cuts which I am sure they will we should have plenty of cap room.

MyManHali
03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
And yes u found n article that says we have flexibility. But there are also articles declaring Geno not a franchise QB and that Alex Smith is a more than capable QB so.....

Well the cap article is filled with facts. The Geno/Alex Smith article is opinionated. I will say this, right now Alex Smith is the safer pick of the 2, Geno comes witih risk since he has not played a NFL snap but he definitely has a lot more upside compared to Alex Smith.

nigeriannightmare
03-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Really!!!! You bought milk somewhere that cost $26 a gallon??? Our economy really has tanked in the sequester! :lol:

Its the fuel charge they are adding to milk these days.

Chiefster
03-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Its the fuel charge they are adding to milk these days.

:lol:

doobs_05
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
speaking of cap space, isn't this the year teams have to use 98% of the cap?

N TX Dave
03-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Each team is required to spend a minimum of 90% of the cap in cash on player compensation.

MyManHali
03-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Ah ha! Got em signed

MyManHali
03-05-2013, 07:05 PM

So we could of gone Geno/Albert/2nd round pick of 2013/3rd round pick of 2014 (Guessing) vs Alex Smith and Luke Joecke or Shariff Floyd.

nigeriannightmare
03-05-2013, 07:19 PM
So we could of gone Geno/Albert/2nd round pick of 2013/3rd round pick of 2014 (Guessing) vs Alex Smith and Luke Joecke or Shariff Floyd.

Everything I have read does not indicate that we won't draft LT first. Tagging Albert gives us the opportunity to get something for him still. Restructuring Jackson's contract means we aren't going DT first. I don't know about u but do you remember roaf and shields demolishing teams. Why wouldn't we want a line like that. You were wrong about this administration. They like Alex smith for reasons you and I will never know MMH.

MyManHali
03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Everything I have read does not indicate that we won't draft LT first. Tagging Albert gives us the opportunity to get something for him still. Restructuring Jackson's contract means we aren't going DT first. I don't know about u but do you remember roaf and shields demolishing teams. Why wouldn't we want a line like that. You were wrong about this administration. They like Alex smith for reasons you and I will never know MMH.

No, Alex Smith will be our starter for 1 or 2 seasons, he will not be our franchise guy.

matthewschiefs
03-05-2013, 10:28 PM
No, Alex Smith will be our starter for 1 or 2 seasons, he will not be our franchise guy.

That's something that will be determined by how Smith plays if he's only so so then he will not be in KC long. If he plays well and wins games then he will be around longer.

nigeriannightmare
03-05-2013, 10:39 PM

Yessir unless Smith goes off he's a stop gap. However I bet u we get our 2nd back in an Albert trade. My money is on Fischer if the draft were held tmrw.

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Yessir unless Smith goes off he's a stop gap. However I bet u we get our 2nd back in an Albert trade. My money is on Fischer if the draft were held tmrw.

We're not trading albert.

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Nigerian how was I wrong about this administration? Because I disliked the Smith trade?

Chiefster
03-06-2013, 07:49 AM

How do you know?

nigeriannightmare
03-06-2013, 03:58 PM

This staff is not the hitler staff of pioli. Credible information has been leaked quite a bit lately. And if NFLN is hearing we are shopping Albert then u bet your arse they are shopping Brandon Albert.

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
How do you know?

I don't, but what I think we will do is hold onto albert for a year then go LT in the next draft and let albert go.

texaschief
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
I don't, but what I think we will do is hold onto albert for a year then go LT in the next draft and let albert go.

Why is a mid-late first round LT next year better than the #1 player who happens to play LT this year? That makes no sense at all.

MyManHali
03-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Why is a mid-late first round LT next year better than the #1 player who happens to play LT this year? That makes no sense at all.

Because we have a LT. For god's sake we dont even have a starting corner opposite Flowers.

texaschief
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Because we have a LT. For god's sake we dont even have a starting corner opposite Flowers.

You keep talking about the draft in absolutes as if there are no other ways to fill any particular hole on this team. We're still 5 days away from free agency and a month and half away from the draft. All the perceived holes you think this team has will probably get addressed. It has been mentioned that the Chiefs' goal for their first pick in the draft is to find a "hall of famer" with that selection. You don't do that by TRYING to fill holes on your team. You do that by taking the best player in the draft. All indications point toward this administration believing that guy is Luke Joekel. However, Dorsey has come out and flat said that he didn't want to tip his hand as to what they're thinking... so any info out there COULD be false.

This administration is doing some VERY good things for this franchise. They're not changing just for change sake like the Pioli bunch did. They recognize the good, young talent on this team and they're changing themselves to fit the talent rather than the other way around. I think that's smart and awesome. If Pioli had done the same instead of worrying about a piece of trash on the office floor, he would probably still have his job.

Dorsey and Reid have done nothing but earn our trust since they got here. At least let them get through free agency before crying about the holes remaining on this team. I PROMISE you that the CB position will be filled before we get to the draft.

brdempsey69
03-07-2013, 12:55 PM

He hasn't signed his tender as of yet. And the Chiefs franchise does NOT revolve around Albert or Eric Berry. Alberts long term future is a big question mark & in 5 years he's gone from mediocre to average. He's quite expendable. The reality is, he's more of a LT-wannabe than a real LT.

Add to that Dorsey is a Ted Thompson disciple and Thompson had been quoted as saying "The NFL Draft is not about fantasy football, it's about getting the best players available to make your team better".

MyManHali
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
You keep talking about the draft in absolutes as if there are no other ways to fill any particular hole on this team. We're still 5 days away from free agency and a month and half away from the draft. All the perceived holes you think this team has will probably get addressed. It has been mentioned that the Chiefs' goal for their first pick in the draft is to find a "hall of famer" with that selection. You don't do that by TRYING to fill holes on your team. You do that by taking the best player in the draft. All indications point toward this administration believing that guy is Luke Joekel. However, Dorsey has come out and flat said that he didn't want to tip his hand as to what they're thinking... so any info out there COULD be false.

This administration is doing some VERY good things for this franchise. They're not changing just for change sake like the Pioli bunch did. They recognize the good, young talent on this team and they're changing themselves to fit the talent rather than the other way around. I think that's smart and awesome. If Pioli had done the same instead of worrying about a piece of trash on the office floor, he would probably still have his job.

Dorsey and Reid have done nothing but earn our trust since they got here. At least let them get through free agency before crying about the holes remaining on this team. I PROMISE you that the CB position will be filled before we get to the draft.

If we draft a LT it won't even be Joeckel. He had an average combine and sources have said Reid really likes Fisher.

With that being said a lot of scouts don't even have a LT in the top spot, many of them have Shariff Floyd at 1 and Dee Milliner at 2. Milliner plays CB, I would much rather pick a lock down CB then another tackle.

MyManHali
03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
He hasn't signed his tender as of yet. And the Chiefs franchise does NOT revolve around Albert or Eric Berry. Alberts long term future is a big question mark & in 5 years he's gone from mediocre to average. He's quite expendable. The reality is, he's more of a LT-wannabe than a real LT.

Add to that Dorsey is a Ted Thompson disciple and Thompson had been quoted as saying "The NFL Draft is not about fantasy football, it's about getting the best players available to make your team better".

Like I said, Albert won't be here after this year. I would much rather take a lock down CB, a position which we don't have then to make a slight upgrade at tackle.

Lord-Chiefy
03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I'd rrather have mcCarren next year.

Jersey49chief
03-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Well this is my first post. And I have to say I have only been a chief fan for a few years. After marriage really, cuz my wife is a chiefs fan. I have to say before joining this fan forum, my perception of a chief's fan was more positive. Supported their team no matter what. Believed in upper management making any decision that we had to have on personnel. And above all, supporting the person that will lead us into the future. Taking out completely our personal bias's and feelings. Now I dont mean, not having any opinion, I mean thats why we are here, but i mean in the sense of not going soo crazy because maybe coach and others see what maybe we dont.

With this Alex Smith trade, lets be honest. Take any number of stats you want. Some good, some bad. Lets look at our HC. Some good years, some bad. Some said in philly he was washed up, getting too old. Should retire. Then we bring in Reid and we are all elated. He hasnt won a SB yet I dont think with the Eagles. So really what proof of a good season is he bringing. Nothing. We are giving him our trust that he can turn the ship around.

With Alex the same thing. Longevity is what seems to be a factor in today's NFL. And like it or not, there is a reason why Smith is still in the league. Unheard of teaching the entire offense to his teammates during the lockout. Had his best two seasons in not just one fluke year, but 1 almost to the SB, then helped lead his team to 6-2, before that other QB took over. Top 5 QB in QBR, efficiency, and less INT's. But soo many in hear are yelling and screaming because it's an upgrade.

I can promise you this. We wont go 2-14 this season. My partner said 3-13. lmao. But seriously. He is an upgrade. Has a WR he can depend on. That i think is even better than Crabtree on the niners. And because he excels in short to intermediate routes, it doesnt mean he cant get it deep. And above all, Whats more important. yardage, and stats. or W's in the Win column.

From watching a few fan forums i thought at the end of the day, a W is all that matters. And thats was said by Brady, Brees, Montana, Young, Favre, Namath. And many more. Also, surprisingly a few of these guys that have not only helped Alex Smith, but publicly came out in support of him. I dont know about most of you. But im excited to see what Reid and Smith will do and put together this season.

Sorry soo long!!!

Chiefster
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Well this is my first post. And I have to say I have only been a chief fan for a few years. After marriage really, cuz my wife is a chiefs fan. I have to say before joining this fan forum, my perception of a chief's fan was more positive. Supported their team no matter what. Believed in upper management making any decision that we had to have on personnel. And above all, supporting the person that will lead us into the future. Taking out completely our personal bias's and feelings. Now I dont mean, not having any opinion, I mean thats why we are here, but i mean in the sense of not going soo crazy because maybe coach and others see what maybe we dont.

With this Alex Smith trade, lets be honest. Take any number of stats you want. Some good, some bad. Lets look at our HC. Some good years, some bad. Some said in philly he was washed up, getting too old. Should retire. Then we bring in Reid and we are all elated. He hasnt won a SB yet I dont think with the Eagles. So really what proof of a good season is he bringing. Nothing. We are giving him our trust that he can turn the ship around.

With Alex the same thing. Longevity is what seems to be a factor in today's NFL. And like it or not, there is a reason why Smith is still in the league. Unheard of teaching the entire offense to his teammates during the lockout. Had his best two seasons in not just one fluke year, but 1 almost to the SB, then helped lead his team to 6-2, before that other QB took over. Top 5 QB in QBR, efficiency, and less INT's. But soo many in hear are yelling and screaming because it's an upgrade.

I can promise you this. We wont go 2-14 this season. My partner said 3-13. lmao. But seriously. He is an upgrade. Has a WR he can depend on. That i think is even better than Crabtree on the niners. And because he excels in short to intermediate routes, it doesnt mean he cant get it deep. And above all, Whats more important. yardage, and stats. or W's in the Win column.

From watching a few fan forums i thought at the end of the day, a W is all that matters. And thats was said by Brady, Brees, Montana, Young, Favre, Namath. And many more. Also, surprisingly a few of these guys that have not only helped Alex Smith, but publicly came out in support of him. I dont know about most of you. But im excited to see what Reid and Smith will do and put together this season.

Sorry soo long!!!

Good first post, and welcome to the "Crowd"! :D

matthewschiefs
03-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Sorry soo long!!!

AGREE 100%

Alex Smith is a big time upgrade from matt Cassel. He has done more then Cassel. He has WON in the playoffs. Alex Smith is better then Matt Cassel. He was hurt by some poor coaching just like I think Cassel was. The only crime that Alex Smith commited to some on here is that his first name isnt Geno.

MyManHali
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Welcome to the board man

Not much durability that is for sure. Only 2 out of the 6 seasons has he played a full season. 73% of his completions were under 10 yards and his attempts were cut back making him more successful. He had a 45 qbr in 2011 and did well for the 8 games he played in this year (7th in qbr in 2012) But that isn't saying much for such a conservative qb.

Crabtree's numbers are worse under Smith: 36 catches 440 yards

Kaepernick: 45 Catches 665 yards.

Yes it does, it's hard to lose when you have the number 1 running game and defense.

Sorry soo long!!!

It's disappointing that supporters of our new "upgrade" have to defend him against the previous fail of a qb. Since we have given up a very high draft pick our new qb shouldn't even be comparable to Cassel, but sadly he is.

chiefnut
03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
perspective;

2012 alex smith 70.2% comp 13TD 5int 104.2 QBR

2012 russel wilson 64.1% 26td 10int 100.1 QBR

2012 joe flacco 59.7% 22td 10int 87.5 QBR

2012 matt cassel 58.1% 6td 12int 66.9 QBR

i think its safe to say alex is a considerable upgrade and i don't think we should be worrying about the QB position for THIS year, we have more pressing needs and larger holes to fill

Chiefster
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
It's disappointing that supporters of our new "upgrade" have to defend him against the previous fail of a qb. Since we have given up a very high draft pick our new qb shouldn't even be comparable to Cassel, but sadly he is.

Disappointing to whom? Those who support Alex Smith, I presume, do so of their own free will and could care less whether you agree with their point of view or not. Just because you don't see the value in the trade doesn't mean there is none. Now I agree that the trade comes, at this point, at too a great an expense for my taste, but also believe that he is an upgrade regardless of who you compare him against. Personally I'm willing to wait and see what comes of all this before completely pooh - poohing the trade. However, I do like the fact that we are at least doing something significant in FA. Who is it, exactly, that people are supposed to "defend him against" but the QB he's replacing?