PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs keep Bowe, Albert, Colquitt

Miller
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9015985/kansas-city-chiefs-get-deal-dwayne-bowe-tag-brandon-albert

What do you think?

Sick Dog
03-04-2013, 04:28 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) made sure that wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (http://www.nfl.com/player/dwaynebowe/2495558/profile) wasn't going anywhere. And they didn't have to use the franchise tag.
Albert Breer of NFL.com reports that Bowe and the Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) reached a new five-year contract on Monday. ESPN first reported the news. The regime change in Kansas City ultimately helped keep Bowe in town. Signing Bowe long-term also allowed the Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) to use the franchise tag on Branden Albert (http://www.nfl.com/player/brandenalbert/660/profile). The Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) also reached a long-term agreement with punter Dustin Colquitt (http://www.nfl.com/player/dustincolquitt/2506438/profile), according to ESPN.
New coach Andy Reid (http://www.nfl.com/player/andyreid/2523926/profile) and GM John Dorsey made it clear they were fans of Bowe, and did not want to lose him. Kansas City boasts a solid group of skill position talent with Bowe, wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin, running back Jamaal Charles (http://www.nfl.com/player/jamaalcharles/925/profile), and Tony Moeaki (http://www.nfl.com/player/tonymoeaki/497256/profile) to pair with incoming quarterback Alex Smith (http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/profile).
Financial terms are still unclear, but it's safe to say Bowe will be one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league. Keeping Bowe is another sign that Reid doesn't see this Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) job as some great rebuilding project. They look like a team that wants to compete in 2013. To do so, they keep one of the best free agents off the market.
Now Reid will find out the answer to a question that former Chiefs (http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) GM Scott Pioli always seemed to wonder about: How will Bowe react to big money?

matthewschiefs
03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Great news

Seems were not just going to let Albert walk see what happens when you let the offseason play out instead of losing your mind just because of one move

Justin5772002
03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Looks very promising we will trade down with our #1 cause we no longer need a lineman looks like db is our next need to fill

ctchiefsfan
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
The Reid/Dorsey combination is starting to make me think we may have a younger version of DV! I'm liking Reid more every day!

nigeriannightmare
03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Great news

Seems were not just going to let Albert walk see what happens when you let the offseason play out instead of losing your mind just because of one move

Who would have thought to let things play out? I didn't think we were keeping both but am stoked we did. My god can you believe reid and Dorsey actually have a plan. Shocking.

Justin5772002
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Goes to show that everyone on this site including myself don't know jack sheit about the new regimes plans. This site is a place to air out your opinions yes, but not to sit here and bicker and argue something you know nothing about till you are blue in the face

Chiefster
03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
I like it.

Lord-Chiefy
03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Resigned 5 year deals!!! Nice!! Now draft a qb resign Albert . Get a DE WR and CB.

Lord-Chiefy
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
I still really like the smith signing even for a 2 if we win playoff game and draft a QB in 4th. Or 3rd.

Chiefster
03-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Resigned 5 year deals!!! Nice!! Now draft a qb resign Albert . Get a DE WR and CB.

Repost! I'll merge.

slc chief
03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Looks very promising we will trade down with our #1 cause we no longer need a lineman looks like db is our next need to fill

you dont know that they might still take joeckel or fisher then move albert to rt. this o-line was not very good against the pass rush last year. and after andy went through the season with the o-line he had in philly. i wouldnt put it past him to try to create the best o-line in the nfl. after all that's the formula that made alex smith good in s.f. either way i like the bowe and albert moves but i think we should have let colquitt test the market

Ryfo18
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Hopefully this can be the end of the draft Joeckel talk...the most lateral move ever.

brdempsey69
03-04-2013, 08:42 PM
you dont know that they might still take joeckel or fisher then move albert to rt. this o-line was not very good against the pass rush last year. and after andy went through the season with the o-line he had in philly. i wouldnt put it past him to try to create the best o-line in the nfl. after all that's the formula that made alex smith good in s.f. either way i like the bowe and albert moves but i think we should have let colquitt test the market

That's right. Dorsey has already said that they could resign Albert and still draft Joeckel. Here's the article:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/23/4082435/dorsey-says-chiefs-could-draft.html

Just because Albert was given the franchise tag doesn't mean jack-sh!t. He hasn't signed it as of yet, there's still concerns regarding his back & people think that's it's etched in stone that the Chiefs can trade down at will, when in reality they may be stuck at #1 with nobody wanting to trade up into that slot. If they are stuck at #1, and they feel that Joeckel is the best player, then they should take him. Also, franchising Albert could also pave the way for them to trade him & recoup one of those 2nd or 3rd round picks that they are supposed to be giving up for Alex Smith.

As for drafting a DB in the top 10 -- HELL NO !!!! After seeing them waste the #5 overall pick in 2010 on a DB that can't cover anyone's grandma, I don't ever want to see this team take a DB above #20 overall, ever again. Besides, outside of QB, Andy Reid has always drafted the men up front on both sides of the ball in the top half of the 1st round.

Hopefully this can be the end of the draft Joeckel talk...the most lateral move ever.

Don't bet on it. See the above article.

Ryfo18
03-04-2013, 08:55 PM

That's genius of him to make it seem like every player is in play for KC at 1...Only increases the theoretical value of that pick should a team want to trade up for Joeckel/Smith/anyone else. I feel pretty confident in saying that they're not going to draft Joeckel though.

And if they do, that would be completely illogical.

Coach
03-04-2013, 09:12 PM
I love this move. Now we can use the #1 pick to get better instead of just replacing Albert.

brdempsey69
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
That's genius of him to make it seem like every player is in play for KC at 1...Only increases the theoretical value of that pick should a team want to trade up for Joeckel/Smith/anyone else. I feel pretty confident in saying that they're not going to draft Joeckel though.

And if they do, that would be completely illogical.

RUBBISH !!! This O-Line sucked A$$ last year & it's been that way ever since Roaf and Shields retired. If Albert is the best they've got, then they are in trouble -- especially Alex Smith. I don't care what Pro Football Focus stats say about Albert. He's NOT an anchor or roadgrader or a clutch performer at LT. Couldn't even roadgrade a DB that he outweighed by 100 lbs. in the Pittsburgh Monday Night game last year.

Joeckel has improved every season and he hasn't reached physical peak as of yet & many feel that he's the best player in the draft & like slc chief said, Andy Reid may very well want to build the best O-Line in football & taking Joeckel would be a positive step in that direction. You are forgetting that Reid consulted Dick Vermeil about the job in KC & you can bet that Vermeil mentioned something to Reid about getting the Chiefs O-line back to the level of excellence that they had when Vermeil was coaching.

matthewschiefs
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
RUBBISH !!! This O-Line sucked A$$ last year & it's been that way ever since Roaf and Shields retired. If Albert is the best they've got, then they are in trouble -- especially Alex Smith. I don't care what Pro Football Focus stats say about Albert. He's NOT an anchor or roadgrader or a clutch performer at LT. Couldn't even roadgrade a DB that he outweighed by 100 lbs. in the Pittsburgh Monday Night game last year.

Joeckel has improved every season and he hasn't reached physical peak as of yet & many feel that he's the best player in the draft & like slc chief said, Andy Reid may very well want to build the best O-Line in football & taking Joeckel would be a positive step in that direction. You are forgetting that Reid consulted Dick Vermeil about the job in KC & you can bet that Vermeil mentioned something to Reid about getting the Chiefs O-line back to the level of excellence that they had when Vermeil was coaching.

THIS
The O line was ok at the start of the season but after a couple of guys got hurt there lack of depth really showed. They gave up 10 sacks in a 2 game span last season. Everyone was willing to talk about the poor QB play but not many talked about the poor play across the line. The QB play was a factor in some of those sacks but not all. There were times the o line didn't even give the qb a chance to get rid of the ball. Adding to the O line depth in anyway would help this team.

I wouldn't love the pick of Jockel but if that's the pick it would serve a purpose

Bortnem
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
That's right. Dorsey has already said that they could resign Albert and still draft Joeckel. Here's the article:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/23/4082435/dorsey-says-chiefs-could-draft.html

Just because Albert was given the franchise tag doesn't mean jack-sh!t. He hasn't signed it as of yet, there's still concerns regarding his back & people think that's it's etched in stone that the Chiefs can trade down at will, when in reality they may be stuck at #1 with nobody wanting to trade up into that slot. If they are stuck at #1, and they feel that Joeckel is the best player, then they should take him. Also, franchising Albert could also pave the way for them to trade him & recoup one of those 2nd or 3rd round picks that they are supposed to be giving up for Alex Smith.

As for drafting a DB in the top 10 -- HELL NO !!!! After seeing them waste the #5 overall pick in 2010 on a DB that can't cover anyone's grandma, I don't ever want to see this team take a DB above #20 overall, ever again. Besides, outside of QB, Andy Reid has always drafted the men up front on both sides of the ball in the top half of the 1st round.

You dont want to see the Chiefs draft another defensive back that cant cover anyone's grandma, higher than #20 when Berry, the person you are complaining about, just went to the pro bowl for the 2nd time in 3 years and he tore his ACL the other year? Last years defense had him playing so close to the line to help stop the run and playing man on much bigger TEs. Thats not Berry's game. Look how much better he was in the pass game his rookie year when they let him play cover 2 or cover 1 and play center field and watch the QB. They were making him play out of position, just like they did to Dorsey. He is a ball hawk, not a man-to-man shut down corner. Maybe if we could stop the run with the front 7 like we are supposed to, then he wouldnt have to play up at the line and make more tackles than half the LBs.

I would be more than happy to take the best CB available, assuming we dont get one in F/A, and pair him with Flowers so we have at least some decent CBs. Otherwise we have only one true starter and a bunch of special teamers that should only come in in nickle and dime situations. We need another CB badly, so why not take the best one in the draft?

texaschief
03-04-2013, 11:16 PM
The O-line suffered a TON of injuries last season. At one point, Winston was playing LT along with Lilja at Center. I would feel pretty confident with this line heading into next season if they found a little more depth. Albert, Allen, Hudson, Asamoah, and Winston is a pretty solid, and decently aged OL.

With what the Chiefs were able to pull off today, they've put themselves in a great position to be able to take the best player on the board. I can't say that I'm going to be angry with ANY player they select #1 overall. If they stay at #1 and deem that player to be the best on the board, I'll be happy with the selection. It's not like there's an obvious super star like Clowney, Luck, Calvin Johnson, or Adrain Peterson in this draft. That player just doesn't seem to be there this year. #1 through #25 are relatively equal. I can't tell you that I'd be anymore upset over the Chiefs taking Alec Ogletree instead of Luke Joekel at #1. If Geno Smith is #1 on the board, take him. If that guy is Joekel, take him.

The thing the Chiefs need to make sure of is that WHOEVER they decide to take #1 overall, that guy better be a perennial Pro Bowl player regardless of position. You HAVE to get this pick right and to me, in this draft, that means taking the best player at one of the lowest risk positions in the draft... be that DE/OLB, LT, DB, or OG. With the QB at DT positions taken care of for the foreseeable future, I think both those positions should be ruled out considering the high bust rate at those spots. Both carry about a 50% hit/miss rate. Franchising Albert does nothing for the long-term outlook at that position and the fact that the reports are saying they're "far apart" in negotiations would indicate Albert isn't necessarily the answer at LT for the Chiefs after this year. There's no guarantee Albert shows up for this season either. Franchised players have sat out half seasons before. If he does sign his tender and the Chiefs DO take a LT #1, there's nothing that says the Chiefs CAN'T use him inside for 2013 and let him walk after the season. I don't think the Chiefs WILL go LT, but I don't think you can necessarily rule it out if Dorsey is true to his word and Luke Joekel is #1 on the board.

However, I WILL say that I don't think Joekel is #1 on their board if they're willing to pay Albert as a top 5 LT this season. I think they have a couple guys ahead of him or they would've just taken the cash and ran to the podium with Joekel's name while filling another position through free agency. I actually think an OLB/DE or CB will be the pick at this point. I really do think Hali is capable of playing the 3-4 DE position which could allow you to let Dorsey walk and bring in another pass rusher #1 overall.

brdempsey69
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
You dont want to see the Chiefs draft another defensive back that cant cover anyone's grandma, higher than #20 when Berry, the person you are complaining about, just went to the pro bowl for the 2nd time in 3 years and he tore his ACL the other year? Last years defense had him playing so close to the line to help stop the run and playing man on much bigger TEs. Thats not Berry's game. Look how much better he was in the pass game his rookie year when they let him play cover 2 or cover 1 and play center field and watch the QB. They were making him play out of position, just like they did to Dorsey. He is a ball hawk, not a man-to-man shut down corner. Maybe if we could stop the run with the front 7 like we are supposed to, then he wouldnt have to play up at the line and make more tackles than half the LBs.

I would be more than happy to take the best CB available, assuming we dont get one in F/A, and pair him with Flowers so we have at least some decent CBs. Otherwise we have only one true starter and a bunch of special teamers that should only come in in nickle and dime situations. We need another CB badly, so why not take the best one in the draft?

Berry couldn't cover anybody in his rookie year, either. He gave up 9 TD passes & Todd Heap took him to the cleaners in that playoff game against Baltimore. If you think that Berry deserved to be in the Pro Bowl in either 2010 or 2012, then you have been blinded by hero-worship. He wasn't any better in pass coverage in 2010 than he was in 2012 & if a DB doesn't have cover skills, then he's not worth taking at #5. He's a classic case of the media making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And you ask "why not take the best DB"? Because, with Alex Smith coming on board, O-Line becomes priority #1, like it or not. In case you haven't noticed, since 2007 the Oakland Raiders have came into Arrowhead and won every single contest with the primary reason being their Defensive Front 7 obliterating the Chiefs O-Line & Branden Albert has had about as much impact regarding that matter, as a fart from a beaver in a tree. And that's not the only example, I could on and on. They can draft DB's till their blue in the face, but until they get a first-rate O-Line in front of whoever the QB is, the Chiefs are going nowhere.

texaschief
03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
An idea I hadn't thought of is the Chiefs being so "far apart" with Albert on a new deal could flip him to a team like St. Louis for one of their first round picks or a 2nd round pick and then flip the later of the picks to SF in the Smith trade. The team we traded Albert to would sign him to an extended contract and all parties are happy. The Chiefs turn Albert into an early round draft pick while having the chance to take a LT #1 overall. There may be some chance the Chiefs could land #22 from St. Louis and if they could, I'd do that deal without blinking an eye. Chiefs take LT #1, then BQBA at #22 and they're set.

Just a thought.

70 chiefsfan70
03-05-2013, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=texaschief;279118]An idea I hadn't thought of is the Chiefs being so "far apart" with Albert on a new deal could flip him to a team like St. Louis for one of their first round picks or a 2nd round pick and then flip the later of the picks to SF in the Smith trade. The team we traded Albert to would sign him to an extended contract and all parties are happy. The Chiefs turn Albert into an early round draft pick while having the chance to take a LT #1 overall. There may be some chance the Chiefs could land #22 from St. Louis and if they could, I'd do that deal without blinking an eye. Chiefs take LT #1, then BQBA at #22 and they're set.

I would love to see this happen, but I just dont think the Rams would do that, They have a large amout of good picks and are struggling with the cap. Maybe they could restructure Sam B's contract as the whole world knows he is overpaid.

I sure hope we can trade out of the 1st spot. It would be real nice to get a second round pick back.

Just a thought.

70 chiefsfan70
03-05-2013, 07:32 AM

I would agree with you, best case senario we trade the top pick, and get an extra second. We could get the best available cb in the first and pick up the best available qb in the second, or visaversa.

We desperately need a good cb. We saw what happened last year. The lb's were forced to play back, the saftey Berry, could not play the normal position, and we saw a ton of mismatches. The CB is now our greatest position of need. however we still need a replacement for TJ and of course, qb.

70 chiefsfan70
03-05-2013, 07:33 AM
You just dont franchise a LT and pick a LT in the very top pick........................ Thats a total waste of a pick and dollars.

texaschief
03-05-2013, 07:59 AM
You just dont franchise a LT and pick a LT in the very top pick........................ Thats a total waste of a pick and dollars.

You do if the plan is to trade the franchised player.

pojote
03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Could Joeckel be an improvement from Albert in 2013? It's hard to imagine. Albert is an elite pass protector, that's average at the running game. I get that Joeckel has been an impressive LT at college level and probably will be one of the best at pro level, but I don't think he can make an instant improvement over Albert.

70 chiefsfan70
03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Could Joeckel be an improvement from Albert in 2013? It's hard to imagine. Albert is an elite pass protector, that's average at the running game. I get that Joeckel has been an impressive LT at college level and probably will be one of the best at pro level, but I don't think he can make an instant improvement over Albert.

The price difference and the age difference is the only benefit I see. I highly doubt that Joeckel in his prime will be any better then Abert was/is in his.

Bortnem
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Berry couldn't cover anybody in his rookie year, either. He gave up 9 TD passes & Todd Heap took him to the cleaners in that playoff game against Baltimore. If you think that Berry deserved to be in the Pro Bowl in either 2010 or 2012, then you have been blinded by hero-worship. He wasn't any better in pass coverage in 2010 than he was in 2012 & if a DB doesn't have cover skills, then he's not worth taking at #5. He's a classic case of the media making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

And you ask "why not take the best DB"? Because, with Alex Smith coming on board, O-Line becomes priority #1, like it or not. In case you haven't noticed, since 2007 the Oakland Raiders have came into Arrowhead and won every single contest with the primary reason being their Defensive Front 7 obliterating the Chiefs O-Line & Branden Albert has had about as much impact regarding that matter, as a fart from a beaver in a tree. And that's not the only example, I could on and on. They can draft DB's till their blue in the face, but until they get a first-rate O-Line in front of whoever the QB is, the Chiefs are going nowhere.

I guess all the voters in the country are blind then since they keep voting him to the pro bowl. I'm impressed the coaches and players are able to play football so well while being so blind! :bash:

Bortnem
03-05-2013, 11:16 AM
However, I WILL say that I don't think Joekel is #1 on their board if they're willing to pay Albert as a top 5 LT this season. I think they have a couple guys ahead of him or they would've just taken the cash and ran to the podium with Joekel's name while filling another position through free agency. I actually think an OLB/DE or CB will be the pick at this point. I really do think Hali is capable of playing the 3-4 DE position which could allow you to let Dorsey walk and bring in another pass rusher #1 overall.

I have never thought about putting Tamba back at DE. If he could get even 1/2 the pass rush he does at OLB then I think it would be a great move b/c this draft is full of 3-4 OLB pass rushing studs. We could take one 1st overall or even find a decent one with the 3rd round pick. Either way, we need to get more pressure on the QB's this year or it doesnt matter who we have in the secondary. Without a pass rush, our secondary is going to get picked apart again like it did last year.

70 chiefsfan70
03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
You do if the plan is to trade the franchised player.

Now that could get interesting! It sure would be nice to pick up a 2nd, beings we traded that one away.

Ryfo18
03-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Albert has been hated one by some Chiefs fans ever since he was drafted b/c OMG he played guard in college! Now that he's gotten better every year, to the point where he's a top 10 LT in the league, it's time to get rid of him and draft another one #1 overall. What a waste of resources. The importance of the LT position continues to diminish in this new era of football. We're not in the '90's anymore where teams win by pounding the rock.

Name the last 10 LTs that won Super Bowls. It's a yawn fest.

If the Chiefs trade Albert and draft Joeckel, great. At least they got something for him. If he stays around though this year, they will not be drafting Joeckel #1 overall. That's one of the few guarantees I'll make in this draft.

texaschief
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
You can go back over the years and see that I'm not one of Albert's haters. I've been a defender of his since day one. Finding a franchise LT in the middle of the first round represented great value. But as you just pointed out, the value of LT's IS diminishing. So, why would you tie 10M/yr up in one. THAT is a horrible waste of resources. Taking Joekel would save $6M a year while getting younger and probably better at the position. I LOVED the value Albert represented by getting him in the middle of round 1. He no longer represents great value, so I'm no longer screaming to keep him on this team. If I'm spending top 5 LT money on a LT, he better be a top 5 LT... not a "top 10." He better be in the Pro Bowl year in and year out. Albert isn't that guy. Never will be. For what he wants relative to the other options available to the Chiefs at that position, he does NOT represent the best option or greatest value. Joekel happens to come into play because there's no other great talent to be had at #1 overall and if the Chiefs are going to stay at #1, he presents the best opportunity for the Chiefs to make sure they get a perennial Pro Bowl talent in this draft of good but not great talent.

Ryfo18
03-05-2013, 04:05 PM
It's apparent then that the Chiefs don't think Joeckel is the best player in this draft, thus they don't want to use another tremendous resource (the #1 pick) on him and instead will keep the player they have at LT.

Just to clairfy and add to my previous post: Joe Thomas is a better LT than Branden Albert. But the overall return to the team because of this difference is minimal.

texaschief
03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
It's apparent then that the Chiefs don't think Joeckel is the best player in this draft, thus they don't want to use another tremendous resource (the #1 pick) on him and instead will keep the player they have at LT.

Not necessarily the if the Chiefs plan to trade him.

Just to clairfy and add to my previous post: Joe Thomas is a better LT than Branden Albert. But the overall return to the team because of this difference is minimal.

The Browns have spent plenty of recent first, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on QB's and still have horrible production at that position... much like the Chiefs have. Yet, the Browns are picking later than the Chiefs are. Since, apparently the judgement of a LT is in a vaccum and based solely on the overall success of a team, I'd say Joe Thomas has been WELL worth the investment since he was worth 3 more wins than Branden Albert. If you told me Joekel was worth 3 more wins at LT than Albert, I'd take that every day of the week. But I think you would agree this is a silly argument. Judging a LT's influence on a team based solely on the win % is ridiculous.

If you agree that Branden Albert is not on par with Joe Thomas at LT, why do you think paying him like he is, is worth the money? I'd MUCH rather spend $6M less and spend more in the draft on a player perceived to be on Thomas' level than pay a guy who we KNOW is not on that level a comparable salary.

jap1
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
So PFT has the contract information for Bowe. It seems like it is mostly on the back end, which means we can probably cut or trade him if he doesnt keep up the performance. His guaranteed money is only 750k this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/bowe-moves-into-top-three-with-56-million-deal/

Ryfo18
03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
The Browns have spent plenty of recent first, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on QB's and still have horrible production at that position... much like the Chiefs have. Yet, the Browns are picking later than the Chiefs are. Since, apparently the judgement of a LT is in a vaccum and based solely on the overall success of a team, I'd say Joe Thomas has been WELL worth the investment since he was worth 3 more wins than Branden Albert. If you told me Joekel was worth 3 more wins at LT than Albert, I'd take that every day of the week. But I think you would agree this is a silly argument. Judging a LT's influence on a team based solely on the win % is ridiculous.

Yeah I agree. You missed my point though in that nobody is saying Albert is better, but unless the guy is an absolute sieve at LT, there's diminishing returns on having an all-pro LT vs a good LT.

If you agree that Branden Albert is not on par with Joe Thomas at LT, why do you think paying him like he is, is worth the money? I'd MUCH rather spend $6M less and spend more in the draft on a player perceived to be on Thomas' level than pay a guy who we KNOW is not on that level a comparable salary.

You're way too worried about the money aspect of this. Albert's going to be paid the average salary of the top 5 LTs (which is less than Joe Thomas will make). You have two things at play here. 1.) The #1 draft pick and 2.) Money. For KC, a team well under the cap, your #1 draft pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> money.

1.) So Albert walks...We draft Joeckel. This team is not better, I don't care how you try to swing it. The team is better b/c he makes $3-4M less? What veteran that can have the impact a #1 pick can have are you going to sign with the money you saved?
2.) You keep Albert and draft Geno, or Star, or Floyd, or Milliner, the team is already better because you've kept a solid LT and ugraded another position.

At the end of the day Albert + #1 pick >>>>>>> Joeckel. It's that simple.

Lord-Chiefy
03-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I'd rather keep him and draft qb or wr.
No way a rookie will be a better LT over a pro.

N TX Dave
03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
The Chiefs can cut Albert and not owe him a penny on the tag before he signs the contract which the Chiefs might just drag their feet on.

tornadospotter
03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Well It makes things interesting at now, here on the home of the Chiefs. Who will be the first round pick of the Chiefs, and will it be the first pick of the draft. I think it will be the one I think it will be. The one the Kansas City Chiefs chose! I will be shocked if that did not happen.

Coach
03-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Still a chance that Albert could be traded after receiving the tag. Lets say Philly gets Albert and our #1 pick, Chiefs gets Philly's 1st pick(#4 overall) and their 2nd rd pick.

I think both teams would make that trade. There is a fair chance that there may only be 1 QB taken in the first round. Possibly none. This trade would give the Chiefs a very good LT with the #4 pick, possibly a QBOTF with the 2nd rd pick and we have Alex Smith as our starter for the next couple of years. Philly gets the best player in the draft and a very good LT(Albert) by using only their first two picks.

MyManHali
03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Still a chance that Albert could be traded after receiving the tag. Lets say Philly gets Albert and our #1 pick, Chiefs gets Philly's 1st pick(#4 overall) and their 2nd rd pick.

I think both teams would make that trade. There is a fair chance that there may only be 1 QB taken in the first round. Possibly none. This trade would give the Chiefs a very good LT with the #4 pick, possibly a QBOTF with the 2nd rd pick and we have Alex Smith as our starter for the next couple of years. Philly gets the best player in the draft and a very good LT(Albert) by using only their first two picks.

Would rather pick a qb first, hold onto albert for a year let him go then draft a LT next draft.

matthewschiefs
03-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Would rather pick a qb first, hold onto albert for a year let him go then draft a LT next draft.

Taking a Qb 1st now would make no sense for this team. Like it or not they have already paid a price for Alex Smith. He's going to be the starter given the price that they paid. (which I will agree was to high) but it is what it is. It just wouldn't make much sense to draft a QB given the trade and that this Class of QBs just doesn't have a standout in it.

Chiefster
03-05-2013, 11:31 PM
An idea I hadn't thought of is the Chiefs being so "far apart" with Albert on a new deal could flip him to a team like St. Louis for one of their first round picks or a 2nd round pick and then flip the later of the picks to SF in the Smith trade. The team we traded Albert to would sign him to an extended contract and all parties are happy. The Chiefs turn Albert into an early round draft pick while having the chance to take a LT #1 overall. There may be some chance the Chiefs could land #22 from St. Louis and if they could, I'd do that deal without blinking an eye. Chiefs take LT #1, then BQBA at #22 and they're set.

Just a thought.

I think this would be the best case scenario for us.

Coach
03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I think this would be the best case scenario for us.

Well now we have released Eric Winston so I think it's pretty unlikely that we are going to trade Brandon Albert.

Chiefster
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Well now we have released Eric Winston so I think it's pretty unlikely that we are going to trade Brandon Albert.

I hadn't heard that.