PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs release Winston

jap1
03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
This comes as a surprise to me. I thought he did well last year, and his contract wasn't too big I thought.

Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/chiefs-release-eric-winston/

jap1
03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I think this makes our plans in the draft pretty obvious.

nigeriannightmare
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I think this makes our plans in the draft pretty obvious.

Nope we drafting Geno! Take it to the bank. Sarcasm. Our GM is gonna draft the BPA and I don't know when the Geno fans will admit no one with any football wavy thinks he's the BPA at number one. I really think its gonna be Fisher.

brdempsey69
03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
The word is out that the Chiefs brass really likes Joeckel & they want to get a CB in FA. As I said before, trade down from #1 is not likely because there will probably be no takers -- it's that simple.

Forget this nonsense about drafting Dee Millner at #1. No CB has been drafted above #4 since Charles Woodson in 1998 & Millner is not as good a prospect as Woodson coming out of college.

Nope we drafting Geno! Take it to the bank. Sarcasm. Our GM is gonna draft the BPA and I don't know when the Geno fans will admit no one with any football wavy thinks he's the BPA at number one. I really think its gonna be Fisher.

Fisher is an interesting player, but it's been said that the Chiefs brass still likes Joeckel a little bit better. Of course, I could be wrong, and they might change their mind after the pro days occur.

marloweopatchiefs
03-06-2013, 08:40 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/3/6/4073094/eric-winston-released-kansas-city-chiefs-free-agency

AkChief49
03-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Wow! what a lot of us thought was one of the better moves made by the old regime this time last year. Verrrry interesting.

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 08:59 PM
This means we are going LT for the draft, phuking A, can't wait to watch Alex Smith throw 30 passes per game under 10 yards like we have seen the past 4 seasons.

Coach
03-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Probably best for both sides. Winston has been a hated man in this town since he opened his mouth and called out Chiefs fans. Which he had every right to do in my opinion. Nonetheless, he was hated by a lot of the fans.

brdempsey69
03-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Wow! what a lot of us thought was one of the better moves made by the old regime this time last year. Verrrry interesting.

I can't help but wonder if Clark Hunt may have had his hand in this move because Winston did not do himself any favors with what he said to the media after the Ravens game. He'd have been better served to keep silent. Speculation, of course.

This means we are going LT for the draft, phuking A, can't wait to watch Alex Smith throw 30 passes per game under 10 yards like we have seen the past 4 seasons.

Think Tyler Wilson at the top of round #3. Very possible that he could fall there. Think Landry Jones in rounds 4 through 7 to double-dip at the QB position. just throwing the scenario out there. If it happened, would it really be so bad?

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
So we're releasing someone who pretty much did his job to draft another tackle. This doesn't make any sense.

Chiefs fanatic
03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
This is a perplexing move considering we only save $700,000 in cap space. It definitely appears to point towards us drafting a tackle with the first pick.

brdempsey69
03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
So we're releasing someone who pretty much did his job to draft another tackle. This doesn't make any sense.

Pretty much did his job? No he didn't. The false start penalties, the untimely sacks and pressures -- I saw it up close and personal. His pass blocking was unsatisfactory.

This is a perplexing move considering we only save $700,000 in cap space. It definitely appears to point towards us drafting a tackle with the first pick.

AWWW!!! Are the fantasy football kiddies all going to crap in their diapers if the Chiefs take an O-Lineman at #1 because they can't put him on their fantasy football teams? My heart just bleeds for them -- NOT !!

matthewschiefs
03-06-2013, 09:54 PM
WOW How fast things changed in a year

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Pretty much did his job? No he didn't. The false start penalties, the untimely sacks and pressures -- I saw it up close and personal. His pass blocking was unsatisfactory.

AWWW!!! Are the fantasy football kiddies all going to crap in their diapers if the Chiefs take an O-Lineman at #1 because they can't put him on their fantasy football teams? My heart just bleeds for them -- NOT !!

He was a good run blocker and allowed 4 sacks and 25 QB pressures. He had the 8th ranked pass blocking ranking for RTs which is fine.

brdempsey69
03-06-2013, 10:05 PM
He was a good run blocker and allowed 4 sacks and 25 QB pressures. He had the 8th ranked pass blocking ranking for RTs which is fine.

Really? I had heard it was 6 sacks, but no matter, it wasn't fine enough for Dorsey and Reid as they are said to save 3.5 million in cap space. Besides, he probably wasn't a good fit in Reid's new Offense that he's going to be implementing and they probably feel that Joeckel or Fisher will fit better, in addition to being the best available players on the draft board.

And besides, Albert's long-term future with the Chiefs is a big question mark.

slc chief
03-06-2013, 10:15 PM

no we save 5 million in cap space and let's face it winston was poor against the pass rush

texaschief
03-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Unless the Chiefs are ready to promote Stephenson and Allen to starting spots on the O-Line, I think this move puts to bed any speculation that the Chiefs will trade Branden Albert. There's no way this team can afford to put itself in the position of needing to fill 3 spots on the starting O-Line. The only way this move makes sense to me is if Stephenson is already the new RT.

kcvet
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
good riddance. to many holding calls and jumping offsides on critical downs. take a hike big mouth

slc chief
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
give it up to winston for handling it with class. not the same can be said about branden albert(this guy better check his attitude real quick) i think stephensen can easily fill in at rt. here are alberts comments posted below..........................

Former Chiefs right tackle Eric Winston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3648/eric-winston) has announced via Twitter that he has been released. And a former teammate has said, also on Twitter, that he won’t be taking Winston’s spot in the starting lineup.
“Just wanted to confirm that I have been released (https://twitter.com/ericwinston),” Winston said. “Even though it was an incredibly tough year on and off the field last year, I wouldn’t trade the relationships I made in KC and the overall experience I had for anything. I t was an honor to be a Chief and I wish them nothing but the best in the future. . . . On to the next adventure!”
The next adventure for left tackle Branden Albert (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4805/branden-albert) apparently won’t include moving to right tackle. Asked by a Twitter follower if he would be willing to move to the right side, Albert said, “Nope.”
Asked later if Albert is saying that he’s strictly a left tackle, Albert said, “You damn right (https://twitter.com/Balbert76/status/309475591814524928).”
Of course, it’s not Albert’s call. If/when he signs the one-year franchise tender, he’ll be required to do what he’s told, or he’ll risk being suspended without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

#58ChiefsFan
03-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Jason LaCanfora is saying there is an injury concern with Winston, IIRC he said major injury concern.

brdempsey69
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Unless the Chiefs are ready to promote Stephenson and Allen to starting spots on the O-Line, I think this move puts to bed any speculation that the Chiefs will trade Branden Albert. There's no way this team can afford to put itself in the position of needing to fill 3 spots on the starting O-Line. The only way this move makes sense to me is if Stephenson is already the new RT.

I don't think Stephenson will be the new RT. But, Allen has possibilities there, as he played there quite a bit in college. Even Albert could be kicked over there, regardless if he says he doesn't want to play anything but LT, the final say isn't his. He'll go where he's told, assuming he signs his tender, at least for this year.

slc chief
03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
either way albert needs to man up and do whatever is asked of him to help the team win

MyManHali
03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Really? I had heard it was 6 sacks, but no matter, it wasn't fine enough for Dorsey and Reid as they are said to save 3.5 million in cap space. Besides, he probably wasn't a good fit in Reid's new Offense that he's going to be implementing and they probably feel that Joeckel or Fisher will fit better, in addition to being the best available players on the draft board.

And besides, Albert's long-term future with the Chiefs is a big question mark.

Well it's only 700k in cap and they take a big hit with cash. Anyways it doesn't matter as it's being reported that he is seriously injured.

brdempsey69
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Well it's only 700k in cap and they take a big hit with cash. Anyways it doesn't matter as it's being reported that he is seriously injured.

Where are you getting your info from? This source here says it's 3.5 million:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147479/article/eric-winston-released-by-kansas-city-chiefs

texaschief
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
This team hasn't spent too much money in free agency. All the big contracts on this team are rookie deals and would impact the cap negatively if they were cut. There may be some turnover throughout this summer, but I don't think we're going to see a huge turnover because there are a bunch of under-developed players who shouldn't be given up on yet... like Tyson Jackson. I wouldn't expect too many more moves like this outside of Matt Cassel.

Chiefs fanatic
03-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Where are you getting your info from? This source here says it's 3.5 million:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147479/article/eric-winston-released-by-kansas-city-chiefs

This source says $700k.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/chiefs-release-eric-winston/

Coach
03-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Winston's contract was a very fair contract in terms of salary. Whether we save 700k or 3.5mm, it wasn't a salary cap move. It could be because of an injury concern, but I doubt it. I think this is probably a combo of three things:
1. Winston isn't the greatest pass blocker. We will be passing more frequently under Andy Reid.
2. Donald Stephenson. Donald played great in Brandon Albert's absence last year. Stephenson>Winston against pass rush.
3. Winston picked a fight with the fan base. We has been persona non grata in KC every since. This to a much lesser degree but I still think it figures into the equation when you are trying to sell tickets.

Lastly, Eric Winston was on NFL Radio two weeks ago and said he had thought about the chance that he could be cut if we drafted Luke Joeckel. This didn't come out of left field for Eric. There's probably more to this story that we won't know unless we are in Andy Reid's lockerroom.

Chiefster
03-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Winston's contract was a very fair contract in terms of salary. Whether we save 700k or 3.5mm, it wasn't a salary cap move. It could be because of an injury concern, but I doubt it. I think this is probably a combo of three things:
1. Winston isn't the greatest pass blocker. We will be passing more frequently under Andy Reid.
2. Donald Stephenson. Donald played great in Brandon Albert's absence last year. Stephenson>Winston against pass rush.
3. Winston picked a fight with the fan base. We has been persona non grata in KC every since. This to a much lesser degree but I still think it figures into the equation when you are trying to sell tickets.

Lastly, Eric Winston was on NFL Radio two weeks ago and said he had thought about the chance that he could be cut if we drafted Luke Joeckel. This didn't come out of left field for Eric. There's probably more to this story that we won't know unless we are in Andy Reid's lockerroom.

I was actually with Winston on this until he threw ALL the fans in attendance under the bus. Clearly not all the fans where cheering that Cassel got hurt.

70 chiefsfan70
03-07-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm surprised to see this move as well, but lets keep in mind, that most people especially on here have been crying fowl on how bad the ol is/was. It seems this new management is listening and trying to please and win back the fan base. I personally remember getting upset with Winstons lack of pass protection, thinking he was much better then that. But when you are a one dementional football team it makes it much harder on the OL. I'm still surprised to see this move.

jap1
03-07-2013, 08:21 AM
I hadn't thought about this until reading some of the comments, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw either Allen or Stephenson at RT in the fall. I think we will find out their long term plans in a week or two, once FA opens. If they pick up a RT, then they prob are keeping Albert and going to try and use Allen or draft a G/C. This makes me more interested in FA.

texaschief
03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
It would be a lot cheaper to promote Allen to starting OG and Stephenson to starting RT and then sign FA's or draft for depth.

pojote
03-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Why he was released instead of traded?

chiefnut
03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Why he was released instead of traded?

that was going to be my ?, we would have been able to get at least a 3rd rounder

Seek
03-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Probably best for both sides. Winston has been a hated man in this town since he opened his mouth and called out Chiefs fans. Which he had every right to do in my opinion. Nonetheless, he was hated by a lot of the fans.

Winston took the booing personal. 1. It was hit fault Cassel got hit. He got beat. 2. He is in no position to call out an entire fan base the way he did. It gave the Chiefs fan base a very bad reputation as his response went viral in the National Media about how poor the Chiefs fan base was. 3. He was very skeptical as a player all year. I thought when we signed him he was going to be a rock at RT. I think Stephenson will be an upgrade, if the Chiefs don't move Albert to RT which by the Way he said on Twitter was a big NO WAY.

I am not happy to see him go, but I could care less if he stayed. I liked it better when our offensive lineman had a rule to never speak to the media, because he was voice of excuses. He was a true leader of a losing team.

Ryfo18
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
It would be a lot cheaper to promote Allen to starting OG and Stephenson to starting RT and then sign FA's or draft for depth.

This.

Keep your eyes peeled on Hali too. He has a $15M cap hit this year. They could try to trade him and then draft Mingo or Ansah.

70 chiefsfan70
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
This.

Keep your eyes peeled on Hali too. He has a $15M cap hit this year. They could try to trade him and then draft Mingo or Ansah.

I've actually been trying to find something on this too. Its highly possible that either Hali or DJ could get traded. When their contracts are up we wont be able to resign all these guys anyway. We may as well get something for them now. If our offense can score points we could win games without one of these guys, and we would be helping our own cause in the long run.

I'm not hoping to see this, but I would be ok, and would understand such a move.

Chiefster
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I love the intellectual speculation! It's what makes this site great IMO! :smile

...That is all!

brdempsey69
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Winston took the booing personal. 1. It was hit fault Cassel got hit. He got beat. 2. He is in no position to call out an entire fan base the way he did. It gave the Chiefs fan base a very bad reputation as his response went viral in the National Media about how poor the Chiefs fan base was. 3. He was very skeptical as a player all year. I thought when we signed him he was going to be a rock at RT. I think Stephenson will be an upgrade, if the Chiefs don't move Albert to RT which by the Way he said on Twitter was a big NO WAY.

But of course, Albert thinks he knows what's best for a team coming off a 2-14 season. If he signs the tender, he'll play where they tell him to or he could face suspension without pay. The final say ISN'T his. Anyone remember 1999 1st round draftee LT John Tait? He was a better LT than Albert will ever be, and yet, nobody heard him complain about the move to RT when Willie Roaf was brought in.

Albert would do well to lay off the contraband substance he's known for and step into the world of reality. In case he hasn't noticed, there is a new Sherriff in town & they don't owe him the time of day.

texaschief
03-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't view Hali and D.J. as being in the same kind of situation as Winston. Winston apparently had injury issues, he didn't play well last season, he's not known for his pass-blocking skills, he was only guaranteed $1M, there's at least one suitable backup on the team to replace him, he's not a pro bowl player, and he pissed off the fan base.

D.J. and Hali are players at the top of their position and they're not exactly breaking the bank. Yes, they could provide some cap relief, but to what end? The Chiefs aren't going to find upgrades or even comparable talent for the money they'd be saving by releasing these guys. There certainly isn't a suitable backup for either of these players considering that the Chiefs are already looking to fill one of the ILB spots on this defense. Cutting D.J. and Hali would create 3 holes on a LB corp that is currently 1 player away from perhaps being the best LB unit in the league.

Now, that doesn't mean that bringing up a contract restructure with these guys wouldn't be advantageous, but trading or releasing these guys wouldn't bring back the value they currently offer the franchise. If it were possible to get comparable talent at a MUCH lower rate, I might be for it... but where are you going to get that from? You can't bank on getting elite talent in free agency or the draft. Winston was a relative easy cut because you could find or currently possess comparable talent at a much lower cost.

texaschief
03-07-2013, 01:21 PM
But of course, Albert thinks he knows what's best for a team coming off a 2-14 season. If he signs the tender, he'll play where they tell him to or he could face suspension without pay. The final say ISN'T his. Anyone remember 1999 1st round draftee LT John Tait? He was a better LT than Albert will ever be, and yet, nobody heard him complain about the move to RT when Willie Roaf was brought in.

Albert would do well to lay off the contraband substance he's known for and step into the world of reality. In case he hasn't noticed, there is a new Sherriff in town & they don't owe him the time of day.

The final say ultimately IS his. If he doesn't want to play LT, he doesn't HAVE to. There would definitely be consequences to that action, such as the one you pointed out, but if he thinks he's damaging his career by making that switch, he doesn't HAVE to play.

brdempsey69
03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
The final say ultimately IS his. If he doesn't want to play LT, he doesn't HAVE to. There would definitely be consequences to that action, such as the one you pointed out, but if he thinks he's damaging his career by making that switch, he doesn't HAVE to play.

The final say is only his if he doesn't sign the tender. Once he inks the dotted line, then the final say is no longer his.

Personally, I hope they do trade him & recoup at least one of those picks that they are said to be giving up for Alex Smith. One of the most foolish moves this franchise has ever made was putting him at LT after they drafted him, instead of plugging him into one of the Guard slots as Albert was a Guard in both high school and college. Now he thinks he's a top 5 LT warranting top 5 LT pay, when he's not.

pojote
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
The final say is only his if he doesn't sign the tender. Once he inks the dotted line, then the final say is no longer his.

Personally, I hope they do trade him & recoup at least one of those picks that they are said to be giving up for Alex Smith. One of the most foolish moves this franchise has ever made was putting him at LT after they drafted him, instead of plugging him into one of the Guard slots as Albert was a Guard in both high school and college. Now he thinks he's a top 5 LT warranting top 5 LT pay, when he's not.

Maybe you can explain to me why Albert is G and not a LT. Last two seasons he is one of the best in pass protection, the main attribute in a LT. I really don't care what he was doing before, could have been playing cards, tennis or studying ancient languages, what I car is what he's good at and what he's no.
Albert isn't elite in run blocking, but I don't want a LT that blocks but doesn't protect.

AkChief49
03-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Maybe you can explain to me why Albert is G and not a LT. Last two seasons he is one of the best in pass protection, the main attribute in a LT. I really don't care what he was doing before, could have been playing cards, tennis or studying ancient languages, what I car is what he's good at and what he's no.
Albert isn't elite in run blocking, but I don't want a LT that blocks but doesn't protect.
Branden played Guard at Virginia. D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Eugene Monroe were the LT's during his time there. Not saying BA is not a LT, it's just that Guard was his position in college. Albeit between two pretty good LT's during his tenure at Virginia

Guru
03-08-2013, 04:41 AM
If we are drafting a tackle, I hope like hell we are trading back. No tackle is worth 1.1

brdempsey69
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM

The last 2 seasons, Albert hasn't exactly faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis. He didn't even play against Denver last year. With Albert's long-term future being uncertain, if the Chiefs can't trade back & I don't believe they will be able to, they'd be utter fools not to take Joeckel or Fisher. Albert doesn't care about the Chiefs winning, all he cares about is getting a big fat contract that he does not deserve.

If we are drafting a tackle, I hope like hell we are trading back. No tackle is worth 1.1

You mean just like no Safety is worth drafting #5 overall & yet they did that in 2010, instead of taking the Tackle (Okung) who's become an All-Pro and if the the Chiefs had taken that Tackle, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion about drafting a Tackle at #1 this year, now would we?

And no, that isn't hindsight. This was discussed to death at kcchiefs.com prior to that pick being made in 2010 & I listed a slew of reasons why taking Berry over Okung was a huge mistake if they did that. Quite naturally, it was met with the "p!ss on our own heads and tell ourselves it's raining" type of responses, as well as the flames from the proverbial cop-out artists who "couldn't attack the message, so attack the messenger"

Now here they are in 2013 & probably stuck at #1 with nobody wanting to trade with them & the possibilities of taking a Tackle at #1 are very strong. Kind of come full circle regarding that 2010 choice, now hasn't it?

pojote
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
The last 2 seasons, Albert hasn't exactly faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis. He didn't even play against Denver last year. With Albert's long-term future being uncertain, if the Chiefs can't trade back & I don't believe they will be able to, they'd be utter fools not to take Joeckel or Fisher. Albert doesn't care about the Chiefs winning, all he cares about is getting a big fat contract that he does not deserve.

Who had faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis? I just want to know to compare, maybe I'm just biased and numbers lies.
This doesn't explains why move him to guard, just that he isn't very good at LT. As far as I know those are totally different positions to play, different skill set needed, and I'm not sure that Albert could be a good guard.

texaschief
03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Branden Albert is a good LT. But he doesn't have the capability to be elite like Joekel and Fischer do. I think he's adequate at LT for the kind of offense Reid will run... but only at a contact that pays him at a "good" level LT and not as an "elite" level LT. I'm just fine with keeping Albert at LT as long as he's willing to play for a contract similar to the one the Chiefs got Winston to sign last season. Anything more than that and the "albatross" term starts to come in to play. I'd rather have a younger, potentially elite LT at $4M/yr than Albert at $8-10M/yr. The money saved could be used in free agency to fill holes elsewhere.

brdempsey69
03-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Who had faced elite pass-rushers on a steady basis? I just want to know to compare, maybe I'm just biased and numbers lies.
This doesn't explains why move him to guard, just that he isn't very good at LT. As far as I know those are totally different positions to play, different skill set needed, and I'm not sure that Albert could be a good guard.

Russell Okung in 2012, for one. He faced Aldon Smith twice, Robert Quinn twice, Calais Campbell once, Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, John Abraham, Cameron Wake and handled all of them <-- that's a good portion of the best the game has to offer right there. To think the Chiefs could have drafted him.

Don't worry, though, it's been reported the Chiefs are trying to negotiate a long term deal with Albert. But if he's wanting 8 - 10 million a year, then he can take a hike. Chiefs are going to conduct a private workout with Joeckel on March 22. It's said that they see possibilities with him at RT as well as LT & if he could play both sides, his value increases.

Lord-Chiefy
03-09-2013, 04:11 PM
The days of #1 being have to pick certain guy is over!! Pick BPA no matter the position. We better keep DJ..

pojote
03-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Russell Okung in 2012, for one. He faced Aldon Smith twice, Robert Quinn twice, Calais Campbell once, Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, John Abraham, Cameron Wake and handled all of them <-- that's a good portion of the best the game has to offer right there. To think the Chiefs could have drafted him.

Don't worry, though, it's been reported the Chiefs are trying to negotiate a long term deal with Albert. But if he's wanting 8 - 10 million a year, then he can take a hike. Chiefs are going to conduct a private workout with Joeckel on March 22. It's said that they see possibilities with him at RT as well as LT & if he could play both sides, his value increases.

I'm not against improvement, and I think we can get better at LT, but can get worse, a lot worse. One thing I'm against is moving Albert to G, I don't think he can be good at it, lacks run blocking abilities. It could be better to trade him to play LT, a few teams could improve with him and he can be payed as he wants to.