PDA

View Full Version : new chief dunta robinson

germaine93
03-08-2013, 11:36 PM
opinions on him? he's the ex falcons cb that is 30 years old and is known as a hard hitter.

jason1981
03-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Theres a good cb free agent class this year i think.
Gamble-panthers
Hall-redskins
Robinson- falcons
Alib-patriots

Thats lff the top of my head but think theres more.

germaine93
03-08-2013, 11:44 PM
yes i get that jason. Robinson has signed a 3 year deal with us. What do you think of him? I want another player to add to this....maybe smith?

jason1981
03-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Oh i just saw that news. I thought you was just saying you wished chiefs would sign him. I think its a good pick up. Im not sure how his play was the last few years though. I thought he was good in houston but havent laid attention to him really. But better then what we have besides flowers anyways.

texaschief
03-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Good signing if he's transitioning to FS. Big name, poor results as a starting CB. Hope there's more to come at CB.

brdempsey69
03-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Veteran presence in the defensive backfield certainly won't hurt, but where will he play is the next question.

jap1
03-09-2013, 01:45 AM
According to PFT, we are in touch with Sean Smith, who is thought to be one of the top 3 CBs available. I like the aggressive approach this offseason. It would be awesome to fill a lot of holes and be able to truly go BPA throughout the draft.

DMN
03-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Totally agree. I have lost faith in Lewis' ability to stay healthy. though it seems we have quite a few players all looking for a similar role. Arenas, Menzie, Hartman, Brown, Abdullah, and now Robinson. Curious to see this play out. I think at the right price Sean Smith would be a good signing. Mostly because it will be one less need going into the draft, and with the loss of our 2nd rounder, I think Smith is better value than anyone that may be available in the 3rd round.

#58ChiefsFan
03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Hopefully we are moving tword a defense that can impose their will on teams, I love some big hitters and welcome him to the Chiefs.

slc chief
03-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Totally agree. I have lost faith in Lewis' ability to stay healthy. though it seems we have quite a few players all looking for a similar role. Arenas, Menzie, Hartman, Brown, Abdullah, and now Robinson. Curious to see this play out. I think at the right price Sean Smith would be a good signing. Mostly because it will be one less need going into the draft, and with the loss of our 2nd rounder, I think Smith is better value than anyone that may be available in the 3rd round.

Chiefs no longer interested in Sean Smith Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/seansmith.jpg?w=250 Getty ImagesWith the league’s heavy-handed, contradictory memo (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/new-nfl-memo-contradicts-plain-language-of-revised-rules/) scaring teams silent overnight, there’s still no barrier on making it known that a team isn’t interested in a given player.
The Chiefs, after signing cornerback Dunta Robinson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2774/dunta-robinson), no longer have interest in Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5184/sean-smith), per a league source.
Robinson is believed to be getting starter money from the Chiefs. With Brandon Flower doing the same, paying Smith top-of-market money no longer makes sense.
Kansas City’s interest in Smith was one of the few nuggets of information that emerged after the legal non-tampering tampering period opened at midnight.
If, of course, Smith overplays his hand and doesn’t do a deal before the market softens, the Chiefs potentially could become interested again — at a lower rate.

slc chief
03-09-2013, 12:35 PM
alot of smokescreens going on right now. but i really hope they did not bring robinson in to be the primary cb opposite of flowers. because his pass coverage skills have greatly diminished the last couple of years.

texaschief
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
If this IS their move to fill the starting CB spot, I've gotta say, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I honestly expected a MUCH bigger move at one of Reid's pet positions. I realize we have little cap space with which to maneuver, but for the contract rumored to be given to Robinson, I feel like we could've done better for the money. Being that the guy is 31, I fully expect the CB position to be an area of emphasis over the next couple seasons.

Not a horrible move, but definitely not what I was expecting from Andy Reid at this position. Hopefully, Robinson doesn't hinder the team too badly against Peyton and Phillip twice a year.

Lord-Chiefy
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Better then losing picks for spoiled players.

chiefnut
03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
the thoughts out there are that dunta will move to safety and they will add another corner like smith

brdempsey69
03-09-2013, 08:47 PM
the thoughts out there are that dunta will move to safety and they will add another corner like smith

And/or they are wanting to take a longer look at Arenas and Jalil Brown. I will grant you that Brown hasn't shown a whole lot yet as a CB, but he was one of the league's best punt coverage guys so the Chiefs brass may not be willing to push him out of the picture just yet & one has to remember it took Brandon Carr until his 3rd season before he really came on as viable cover corner. Time will tell, of course.

texaschief
03-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Chiefs will/have sign(ed) another CB... (let's call it a hunch :saythat:)

brdempsey69
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM

With Peyton Manning in the same division, I think they will as well.

texaschief
03-10-2013, 03:03 AM
With Peyton Manning in the same division, I think they have as well.

(Fixed)

rodu
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
If Robinson is to start for us, add him to the list of old over the hill FA's we've signed over the years; Law, Dishman probably forgetting one or two

fairladyZ
03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
(Fixed)

now you have me very very curious

germaine93
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
yeah i think they will get another one of these free agent cb's....then we will be good to go

Seek
03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I am pretty sure I heard a week or two ago, that Sean Smith tweeted that he had a meeting with the Chiefs and some other teams, and then immediately deleted it. He supposedly was meeting with the Chiefs when it was not legal. If this is True, I bet the Chiefs are not interested in him because he will cause the Chiefs to get slapped with a tampering charge.

jap1
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
So here are the details of his contract. In short, all the guaranteed money is this year. So if he doesn't work out, or we draft someone better, we can cut him without worry. This contract is very team friendly, and basically means we can use him at nickel or safety without much worry about wasting money.

AkChief49
03-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I am pretty sure I heard a week or two ago, that Sean Smith tweeted that he had a meeting with the Chiefs and some other teams, and then immediately deleted it. He supposedly was meeting with the Chiefs when it was not legal. If this is True, I bet the Chiefs are not interested in him because he will cause the Chiefs to get slapped with a tampering charge.
There was a tweet, but it was Vontae Davis hat spilled the beans:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/28/4038642/vontae-davis-implies-chiefs-tampering-with-sean-smith-then-backtracks

jap1
03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
The explanation that Sean Smith gave for the Davis tweet was pretty reasonable. Smith told Davis that he talked to Al Harris, who is now our assistant secondary coach, and who was his secondary coach in Miami. He said it wasnt about coming to KC, just that they talked. Now whether or not him signing with KC came up in conversation, it would be hard to prove. I dont think anything will come of this. If it did, then it meant anyone who is a free agent couldnt talk to any players or coaches they used to know during the offseason, which seems pretty unreasonable since a lot of these guys are friends off the field.

brdempsey69
03-14-2013, 11:59 PM
The explanation that Sean Smith gave for the Davis tweet was pretty reasonable. Smith told Davis that he talked to Al Harris, who is now our assistant secondary coach, and who was his secondary coach in Miami. He said it wasnt about coming to KC, just that they talked. Now whether or not him signing with KC came up in conversation, it would be hard to prove. I dont think anything will come of this. If it did, then it meant anyone who is a free agent couldnt talk to any players or coaches they used to know during the offseason, which seems pretty unreasonable since a lot of these guys are friends off the field.

Doubtful anything will come of this either, as there was a 2 day period after FA started, which meant other teams had the chance to court Smith as well, and sign him if they wanted him. If the Chiefs has signed him right at the get-go of FA, then suspicions would be heavily aroused.