PDA

View Full Version : Chase Daniel

Chiefs fanatic
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
@AdamSchefter
(https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter)Chiefs reached agreement in principle on three-year deal with former Saints QB Chase Daniel, who played at Missouri.

Sounds like we've found our back-up QB.

brdempsey69
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
My goodness, this new regime isn't screwing around. They have a plan and they mean business about getting things turned around.

They'll probably try and trade Cassel for a late round pick & if they can't they'll hand him his walking papers.

Justin5772002
03-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Cool backup to one of my favorite Qbs in Drew Brees had to learn a few things from him. Good pickup in my opinion

jap1
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Announcement on Matt Cassell coming in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

texaschief
03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Lit it up in college. Developed and studied behind Drew Brees the last few years and signed a $3m/yr deal after having never started and NFL game... Someone likes him A LOT.

jason1981
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Im betting we dont draft a qb in the draft at all this year.

Lord-Chiefy
03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Matt to buffalo?? Lol

70 chiefsfan70
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
He was a lot of fun in college, I glad to see him here and he be given another chance. I thought he may be a good one.

Lord-Chiefy
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I think they are trying to deal Matt..that's why no release.

jap1
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/vikes-bucs-cards-could-be-after-cassel/

If they could parlay trading Matt for a 7th rounder, I would be very impressed. They may have to renegotiate a contract then trade him. The Bills may also be in the market for a QB now (they cut Fitz).

70 chiefsfan70
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM

That would be nice but I dont see anyone giving us $h!t for him.

MissingTBone
03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
This could be a great pickup! Dorsey is supposed to be the man when it comes to scouting, so would be great to see Chase become our qbotf! This regime is doing a seemingly good job of stocking up the bare cabinets we had from the previous idiot! I see u easily being able to take bpa with each pick in the draft. Just hope we can gain an extra early pick somehow!

slc chief
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
i just dont see how this signing can be considered great like alot of people are calling it. i know daniels tore it up for mizzou in college but so did tim tebow and charlie ward . in my opinion we just overpaid for a back up qb.

AkChief49
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
i just dont see how this signing can be considered great like alot of people are calling it. i know daniels tore it up for mizzou in college but so did tim tebow and charlie ward . in my opinion we just overpaid for a back up qb.

Yeah, I'm leaning this way also. Plus, Chase cannot be over 5'11'' tall. We'll have to go retro and get him some of those 70's platform cleats.

texaschief
03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
He's a smart, spread/west coast style QB who's been learning from Drew Brees. Not a lot of downside here. After seeing how Daniels performed in college and how well Russell Wilson did this past season, I'm not too concerned about height being a disqualifying attribute anymore.

nigeriannightmare
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
This could be a great pickup! Dorsey is supposed to be the man when it comes to scouting, so would be great to see Chase become our qbotf! This regime is doing a seemingly good job of stocking up the bare cabinets we had from the previous idiot! I see u easily being able to take bpa with each pick in the draft. Just hope we can gain an extra early pick somehow!

I remember watching a quarter he started in the pre season. He looked good. I know the saints fans I talk to have always liked him and weren't worried to lose Bree's for a bit. They had a lot of confidence in him down there.

nigeriannightmare
03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning this way also. Plus, Chase cannot be over 5'11'' tall. We'll have to go retro and get him some of those 70's platform cleats.

Uh russel Wilson is short.... Chase is athletic and smart bro.

texaschief
03-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Drew Brees isn't too tall either

AkChief49
03-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Wilson was second to Griffin III in last years combine(40) for QB's and is a bit faster than Daniels. I've read that even Teo could catch him! I'm just lamenting the fact there is no QBOTF for us in this draft. A wretched season, and the cupboard is bare(for "that" guy).

AkChief49
03-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Drew Brees isn't too tall either

He is taller than Chase.

slc chief
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I remember watching a quarter he started in the pre season. He looked good. I know the saints fans I talk to have always liked him and weren't worried to lose Bree's for a bit. They had a lot of confidence in him down there.

yeah i highly doubt saints fans were not worried about brees being injured. i think alot of fans are thinking this is a better signing than it really is. because of chase daniels college career. it is a decent signing that we definantly paid for . that being said i hope daniels has a great career as a BACKUP QB for the chiefs

Bike
03-13-2013, 12:27 AM

A good backup qb could very well be the 2nd most important position on the team. Not having a decent backup when our starter went down last year cost this team dearly. Dorsey did the right thing here. I don't see any qb that was on our roster last season playing a single down for anybody this season...

slc chief
03-13-2013, 07:42 AM
A good backup qb could very well be the 2nd most important position on the team. Not having a decent backup when our starter went down last year cost this team dearly. Dorsey did the right thing here. I don't see any qb that was on our roster last season playing a single down for anybody this season...

not having an actual starting qb last year cost this team dearly

nigeriannightmare
03-13-2013, 09:17 AM
yeah i highly doubt saints fans were not worried about brees being injured. i think alot of fans are thinking this is a better signing than it really is. because of chase daniels college career. it is a decent signing that we definantly paid for . that being said i hope daniels has a great career as a BACKUP QB for the chiefs

They really liked chase Daniels down there. Watch his preseason tape last season. I speculate that's why he was coveted this year. We weren't the only team interested from my understanding.

70 chiefsfan70
03-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I am happy to see Chase here, but in no way no I expect him to be TQBOTF. He is more likely to become our starting RB. Well maybe not, but he can pick up yards with his legs.

Ryfo18
03-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I like my buddy "@FantasyDouche" on Twitter's theory:

I think the Chiefs may have arbitraged our asses with the Chase Daniel signing.

They basically signed a guy who probably has as much EV as the top QB in the draft, and didn't give up any draft picks to do it.

The Chiefs got a guy who has a pretty similar resume to Geno, has NFL experience, they didn't give anything up

Here's an explanation that I'm not saying is necessarily true, but fits all the facts.

The Chiefs liked Chase Daniel and felt like there was a chance that he might be their guy. But they're not 100% confident.

So they pick up Alex Smith as a hedge and give up a 2nd. and some other stuff that's conditional. But, if Daniel outplays Smith...

Then the conditional picks go away, and the Chiefs still got a starting QB for only a 2nd round pick and salaries.

And then even Alex Smith's salary is probably something that they could get away from after this year.

Like I said, can't say that's what happened, but it does fit all of the facts.

Also, Chase is almost as big as Geno, and they have similar college resumes (Geno threw less INTs though to be fair).

He also wrote an article about Chase Daniel's NFL comparables you can read here (http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/03/the-worlds-first-ever-chase-daniel-fantasy-football-article/). In summary, he compares to:

Ben Roethlisberger
Andrew Luck
Kyle Orton
Philip Rivers
Matt Leinart
Kevin Kolb
Geno Smith

texaschief
03-13-2013, 04:28 PM
I agree. I think the Chiefs are willing to allow Daniel to win the job during the spring. Daniel wasn't going to supplant Drew Brees, but he doesn't have any kind of hard ceiling to break through in KC. I think he'll have every opportunity to pull a Russell Wilson this spring.

Justin5772002
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
It's good motivation for Alex Smith anyway if we have a strong backup then he will fight that much harder for this position cause he won't want to lose another starting gig being that it may be his last opportunity

AkChief49
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Maybe this is an investment for next year. Reid has the knack for turning QB's into decent picks. Interesting post from AP

ww.arrowheadpride.com/2013/3/13/4099922/why-pick-up-chase-daniel